Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2018 6:03 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I must say, this was an interesting aftermath of the recent events.

More importantly we got see some background storytelling about Bai Yin and Francine. Anyways, I thought the episode itself was important but still had goofy moments. Not to mention, the puppeters in this show continues to prove their mysterious ways in relations to the main story and character connections. The character designs of those two really look similar to Shirogane and Narumi lol (not too surprising considering the ancestor history)
Stark700Dec 6, 2018 8:40 AM
Dec 6, 2018 9:00 AM

Jul 2017
Finally we've reached the point where Shirogane and Guy get their teacher-student backstory! Albeit for a quick glimpse...

Back to Narumi's case...it's quite fascinating to see Shirogane and Francine's design look damn similar...and then Bai Yin and Narumi's aesthetics, it felt like this episode we travel back in time to understand the plight. And then, the humor moments were exactly just like how the current Shirogane X Narumi were established so at least there's a good sense of relief.

Stark700 said:
The character designs of those two really look similar to Shirogane and Narumi lol (not too surprising considering the ancestor history)

Looks like a history lesson learnt, from as long as how we started learning about both of them, from their grievous past.

In the end, the brotherhood of Jin and Yin fell apart, and I'm gonna assume that's what formed the present day shirogane vs. automata battle.
Dec 6, 2018 9:04 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great episode with ample amount of backstory and storytelling at a very hasty but well-directed pace!

On one side, Masaru and Eleonore(Shirogane) have moved forward from the short and eventful reunion with Narumi. It was nice to see Shirogane and Masaru’s little conversation there dwelling on this matter, and it looks like little Masaru has also figured out Shirogane’s true feelings for Narumi! Lol, the following “I like you, too” part was also nice and very sweet! Way to go, lil Masaru! Seems like Guy has washed up ashore to Japan now too and the revelation of him being Shirogane’s teacher was foreshadowed earlier so not too much of a surprise there. It was nice to hear that he was around and very kind to her during those harsh training sessions. Seems very Guy like, though. I’m glad he’s joined the Circus now, too, I can’t wait to see what he has in store for us! Masaru setting off on a journey there at the end sure was a hasty decision to make to say the least but we can safely assume Shirogane and Guy will follow him since Guy spotted him leaving.

On the other hand, Narumi and Lucille travelled to China to meet Narumi’s old teacher only to hear the shocking revelations that he’s been infected with the ZONAPHA Syndrome. Shocking, indeed! On another note, I have a feeling Narumi and his teacher’s daughter never got along well given how their character interactions were shown. Intriguing details thrown in here too regarding the Aqua Vitae, or the ‘Water of Life’. Narumi is still mentally confused about everything at hand and it’s no wonder why. Fast forward and suddenly we ended up two hundred years ago where we meet the Bai brothers and Francine, Shirogane's doppelgänger(?). The whole transition, rather change in direction, was pretty well done although it felt a little odd of sorts. Perhaps it was due to the really fast pace.

Yin and Jin’s interactions initially were very pleasing to watch! Moving to Prague to learn Alchemy in relevance to Puppeteering really gives off a bad feeling in this show and the finale there just proved why. Yin is definitely not happy with Jin’s course of actions here, some extreme facial expressions I must say though. I’m guessing this is what caused the automata v shirogane rivalry that we see that’s going on currently. Jin realising Francine’s dark secret and just the buildup to that scene was depressing and pitiful. Francine really is an angel, who would’ve thought she was a slave previously though. It sure took me by surprise! That thief mark looks really terrible, but that’s what happens when you’re too kind and have a wide heart, as Jin pointed out. I really hope she finds some true happiness now!

All in all, a very eventful(perhaps a touch too many, but this episode didn’t feel as unsatisfying as the last) episode and I’m highly looking forward to seeing what next this show has in store for us!

It’s been 1/4 of the whole show now and things are looking really great! Bad news is, though, that the pacing of the show is really starting to accelerate, especially in the last few episodes. It was already fast from the get-go but it’s just in the recent episodes that the episodes feel a little too eventful of sorts.
Please, I really hope they don’t mess this up!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 6, 2018 9:38 AM

Dec 2014
so even the kid left for his own journey and we get to see the past...nice to see alternative version or elene and Narumi... she looks so different when she smiles
Dec 6, 2018 10:53 AM

Aug 2011
Well, what to say? Is that the beginning? The beginning of what leads to the suffering of many people? Jealousy and envy over a woman?

Hasn't a few wars started in our world because of the same thing or many suffer?
Dec 6, 2018 12:47 PM

Jun 2009
damn yins brother sure is pissed now

awesome ep and awesome story of yin / jin and Francine
5/5
Dec 6, 2018 12:49 PM

May 2018
What's wrong with that flashback????

If you're Chinese during the renaissance, you've be discriminated upon and be mad fun of.

Alchemy was considered heretic and those who practices it would have been burned at the Stakes.

Chinese have their own alchemy and even more precise than in Europe.

Chinese wouldn't be able to learn how to speak slav that fast.

Dec 6, 2018 1:12 PM

Jul 2017
Really interesting episode with loads of backstory.
Dec 6, 2018 1:51 PM

Aug 2013
An interesting episode with a lot of backstory.

Dec 6, 2018 3:18 PM

Sep 2011
Another awkwardly convoluted episode filled to the brim with exposition. Still better, and more interesting than the one in the hospital though.

Since Shirogane was the one to rescue Guy it is only a matter of time before he tells her that Narumi is alive, right? And I don't know how a kid as smart as Masaru thought that going somewhere alone to 'face his past' was a good idea, when he knows that there are still people out there trying to kill him, and that he would make Shirogane worry.

And it seems that Narumi, Shirogane, and, I don't know, half of the cast came from the same ancestors, if that Yin, and Francine ever had kids because they are pretty much carbon copies of them. And I got the impression that Narumi remembered his master who has a 'gaze' as creepy as Lucille. Isn't he supposed to have amnesia right now?

Anyways, those two seemed like really close brothers too, I guess that 'love' can do something like that, but it was so abrupt, it was like he became another person from one frame to another. Was his relationship with his brother this fragile? It just feels weird.
Dec 6, 2018 4:25 PM

Mar 2018
Beautiful episode. The end was even better, when we see that the brother was also in the church.

After so many good episodes, it makes me wonder why he is not more popular than now.

5/5
Dec 6, 2018 4:36 PM

Feb 2016
Damn, good episode, that backstory of the Ancestors tho. Francine was so damn cute <3.

I need more of this

4/5
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Dec 6, 2018 4:50 PM

Oct 2015
The yin/Jin story was really interesting.

Jin sure was really pissed the way he showcased that ugly face, but I don't really blame Yin for betraying his brother like that Francine is an angel. She's beautiful inside and outside, a true perfection of a true woman that any man would be lucky to have. I wonder where this is going and I bet it will be interesting?

Great great episode,
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 6, 2018 5:12 PM

May 2014
Hands down my favorite episode of the series yet! It seems to have found its feet since the episodes since Narumi's 'death' have been a bit all over the place.

Also, if Francine and Yin aren't reincarnations (or at least ancestors of) Shirogane and Narumi I WILL EAT MY SHOES.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2018 5:40 PM

Aug 2013
oh lawd, some shit about to go down
Don't believe the hype.
Dec 6, 2018 5:42 PM

Oct 2008
That transition for Narumi felt like they skipped a whole bunch of material, he was there by the plane and then he's suddenly in China with some new girl, felt a bit awkward. Other than that, great episode. Seems we now know what was the root of all this evil with puppets.
Dec 6, 2018 8:32 PM

Apr 2007
I'm so weak to episodes where genuinely good hearted characters are given the middle finger from life.

p.s that other brother is an asshole.
Dec 6, 2018 8:33 PM

Apr 2017
the whole younger brother gets girl and older brother goes berserk, doesnt appeal. 1/5
yin is some brother, even though he knew jin loved francine he was a dog and shit on jins feelings.
now because of his selfish thinking theres gonna be some shit backstory to either aqua vitae or zonapha syndrome.
Dec 6, 2018 10:00 PM

Dec 2016
This episode was adorable, but holy fuck was that ending ominous
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 7, 2018 6:08 AM

Apr 2007
Nembu said:
the whole younger brother gets girl and older brother goes berserk, doesnt appeal. 1/5
yin is some brother, even though he knew jin loved francine he was a dog and shit on jins feelings.
now because of his selfish thinking theres gonna be some shit backstory to either aqua vitae or zonapha syndrome.

Anyone who goes berserk over not getting the girl is mentally inept. Jin doesn't deserve her. Also there is no way Jin has the heart to take care of the people she cares about. Not with that mentality.
Dec 7, 2018 7:03 AM

Nov 2016
Very interesting backstory episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 7, 2018 7:53 AM
Apr 2017
That feeling when I watched this episode in Prague with a bottle of Pilsner beer in my hand and few buildings from this episode still standing not far away from where I live. That ending was kinda.. cringy though? I don't know, it just didn't seem genuine. But when Jin lost it, that was something.
Dec 7, 2018 6:51 PM

Nov 2008
Oh Gawd - the Curse of Shonen Action Stories... Melodramatic Flashbacks...
Dec 7, 2018 6:58 PM

Apr 2017
Killuan said:
Nembu said:

Anyone who goes berserk over not getting the girl is mentally inept. Jin doesn't deserve her. Also there is no way Jin has the heart to take care of the people she cares about. Not with that mentality.

that's the point, this whole cliche younger brother vs older is annoying. the fact that they make jin go berserk because of something so simple is retarded. Honestly there could've been a better way that jin went berserk.
Also jin seemed like a good older brother? He could've taken care of francine properly if he got her.
Dec 7, 2018 10:07 PM

Apr 2007
Nembu said:

Also jin seemed like a good older brother? He could've taken care of francine properly if he got her.

He seemed like it, but the fact that he went retarded over something so stupid kind of proves that he's not, doesn't it? I think Yin had more faith in his brother than that. And didn't realize he would go berserk over not getting the girl. I mean if they both love Francine, shouldn't she be together with the one she wants to be with the most?

I'm not arguing that it was a stupid reason to go berserk, only that Jin is incredibly selfish and it's only evident when he doesn't get his way. And I don't particularly think Yin did anything wrong because they both met Francine at the same time and Yin saw a side to Francine that made him love her for more than just superficial reasons.
KilluanDec 7, 2018 10:10 PM
Dec 7, 2018 11:58 PM

Apr 2017
Killuan said:

He seemed like it, but the fact that he went retarded over something so stupid kind of proves that he's not, doesn't it? I think Yin had more faith in his brother than that. And didn't realize he would go berserk over not getting the girl. I mean if they both love Francine, shouldn't she be together with the one she wants to be with the most?

I'm not arguing that it was a stupid reason to go berserk, only that Jin is incredibly selfish and it's only evident when he doesn't get his way. And I don't particularly think Yin did anything wrong because they both met Francine at the same time and Yin saw a side to Francine that made him love her for more than just superficial reasons.

jin starts off as a good brother but if he didn't go berserk over francine and something more logical i would've been much more understanding. the fact that he goes insane over something that can be easily solved is what i'm arguing about. i don't have anything against yin and francine. i just think things would've turned out better if that wasn't the cause so that yin wouldn't have to think his brother is mentally challenged and have to fight with him for some dumb reason? i know the point is that jin is supposed to look selfish and yin is supposed to be the good guy, but the whole reasoning for everything makes me feel so shit.
Dec 8, 2018 1:28 AM
Apr 2016
JiangHaoyi1979 said:

If you're Chinese during the renaissance, you've be discriminated upon and be mad fun of.
Alchemy was considered heretic and those who practices it would have been burned at the Stakes.

not during the rule of Rudolf II known exccentric king who made Prague to centre of alchemy and similar practices during that time and invited ton of

Dec 8, 2018 3:00 AM

May 2017
TheFreycook said:
This episode was adorable, but holy fuck was that ending ominous

True, I'm getting an NTR vibes lol that little brother was crazy, and he looks like Guy (Elenore's sensei)
Dec 8, 2018 11:12 AM

Apr 2007
Nembu said:
Killuan said:

jin starts off as a good brother but if he didn't go berserk over francine and something more logical i would've been much more understanding. the fact that he goes insane over something that can be easily solved is what i'm arguing about. i don't have anything against yin and francine. i just think things would've turned out better if that wasn't the cause so that yin wouldn't have to think his brother is mentally challenged and have to fight with him for some dumb reason? i know the point is that jin is supposed to look selfish and yin is supposed to be the good guy, but the whole reasoning for everything makes me feel so shit.

Well in the end, the only part I disagree with and why I commented is this: "yin is some brother, even though he knew jin loved francine he was a dog and shit on jins feelings." It sortof paints Yin as the bad younger brother for falling in love with Francine and not giving her to the older brother.
Dec 10, 2018 3:31 AM

Jul 2017
prudislav said:
JiangHaoyi1979 said:

not during the rule of Rudolf II known exccentric king who made Prague to centre of alchemy and similar practices during that time and invited ton of

Interesting stuff: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_II%2C_Holy_Roman_Emperor?wprov=sfla1

I'm sure Narumi's sensei said the brothers lived 200 years ago though which would be 200 years after his reign, but it seems his legacy continued after he died.

JiangHaoyi1979 said:

Chinese wouldn't be able to learn how to speak slav that fast.

It not realistic, but it's poetic license to skip boring stuff. Otherwise you'd need an episode of them learning to speak the lingo.

I find it more weird that you have French, Czechs and Chinese all speaking Japanese, but you have to switch that part of the brain off otherwise it would drive you crazy.

Although it gets even weirder in cases like Banana Fish where the Japanese character is trying to teach the American character Japanese when he's been fluent in it all along!
Dec 12, 2018 10:14 PM

Jan 2011
Holy shit, Francine was a maximum cutie. Too bad it's obviously all gonna go to hell next ep.
Dec 17, 2018 4:26 AM

Jun 2015
A bit of a letdown lately.

This series keeps making the contrast between angelic characters (let it be this girl or just little kids laughing) and suffering in such a blatant and reiterative way. It can work a few times but it already comes as an unsavory resource.

The neck breaking pace and overall lack of focus isn't helping either.
Dec 20, 2018 2:31 PM

Oct 2008
This episode has too much storytelling about the Ancestor Alchemist!
It got me sleepy because of sleep deprivation!
4/5.

Dec 22, 2018 3:20 PM

Apr 2012
This episode was so crowded with the most classic melodrama that for a minute I had the impression that I was reading Hugo or Dumas.
Dec 23, 2018 2:46 AM

Jun 2013
All this take about Qing and alchemy is giving me FMAB flashbacks.

Anyway, poor Jin, I feel like nobody is at fault here. His brother, Yin, did know about his feelings but he couldn't help himself. Anyway, if Francine didn't feel the same way, she wouldn't have accepted his marriage proposal.

It was pretty sad seeing those impoverished people happy with the moldy bread that Francine gave them. They probably haven't eaten for days maybe even a week or more and that was all they got but they were still thankful. Francine is so kind to others despite people being so shitty towards her.
臭い-
Dec 25, 2018 4:50 AM

May 2015
Hated this episode for some reason. I don't know what's wrong with this anime but it just doesn't click with me, it has a lot of things that indicate it's a good show but just as much it has things that irritate me. I'm confused.
Jan 4, 2019 11:05 PM
Mar 2016
Ten said:
Hated this episode for some reason. I don't know what's wrong with this anime but it just doesn't click with me, it has a lot of things that indicate it's a good show but just as much it has things that irritate me. I'm confused.

Same. This episode felt forced in so many ways that i almost considered dropping it.
Jan 4, 2019 11:17 PM

May 2015
Francys said:
Ten said:

Same. This episode felt forced in so many ways that i almost considered dropping it.

Well, I did drop after 11th episode.
It might be not bad in general but personally, it's like something is wrong with this anime and I don't feel like forcing myself through this.
Jan 8, 2019 12:40 AM
Jan 2019
Too bad. If you have the feeling that the show can be good , you think you must watch because all the things you find weird for the moment (masaru, behaviour of some characters) would have a explanation before.
The manga is great so even the anime is not enough good now I'm a believer ) :)

My bad for my english, I'm french.
Jan 18, 2019 5:15 PM

Feb 2013
Francine was a true saint!
May 22, 2019 9:14 AM

Jun 2014
Bai Yin and Francine look very similar to Narumi and Shirogane, almost like ancestors.

Francine cares more about others, similar to Narumi. Yin's brother also loved Francine, and he doesn't appear to be feeling too great about losing her to his brother. He appears to be cracking up.

Jul 17, 2019 7:15 AM

Jul 2015
This episode really felt like a lot has been skipped over after the last episode

Feels a bit weird to see the character designs being reused for an old story, but pretty interesting to see it unfold like that

Nov 6, 2019 3:27 PM

May 2018
Jin went crazy for Francine before he even squeezed the grapes and drank the wine. Imagine just how far off the deep end he'd be if he'd actually done that.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Karakuri Circus Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2019

51 by ohnaur »»
Dec 5, 2023 2:19 AM

Poll: » Karakuri Circus Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2019

26 by ohnaur »»
Dec 3, 2023 2:34 AM

» Was it well received in japan?

SinDrake - Nov 15, 2023

3 by SinDrake »»
Nov 17, 2023 11:45 AM

Poll: » Karakuri Circus Episode 34 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2019

20 by DANIELLL224 »»
Oct 16, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Karakuri Circus Episode 31 Discussion

Stark700 - May 23, 2019

22 by Dawizz »»
Aug 17, 2023 12:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.