Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 21, 2009 9:23 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was really surprised by the quality of this movie considering it's age, got me interested in the series!
VeethornOct 25, 2020 4:48 AM
Jun 18, 2010 12:52 AM

Feb 2009
"Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."

I like Char already.
Dec 3, 2010 6:05 PM

Aug 2009
ザクとは違うんだよ!ザクとは!! (This is no Zaku boy...NO ZAKU!) Lololol, gotta love Ramba Ral

Ahh, I remember why I loved this series so much. (Lol, I sound like it's been years since I watched it, as opposed to a few months...)
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Dec 28, 2010 2:35 PM

Feb 2009
The bigger part of the movie was fine for me,but around the second hour i was realy looking forward to it's end.Abd thankfully it ended soon.I saw that they cramped 13 episodes here,but it didn't feel like there was that much action,but it could be just me...I'll grant it with 7/10 ^_^

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Mar 28, 2011 12:04 AM

Jun 2009
I remember that I disliked what I saw of the TV series because it seemed as though there was more action than plot and, thankfully, this movie scaled down on the needless action scenes in favor of more plot. It still isn't great, though, but it's hard to judge something that is obviously just an introduction to the bigger picture.

Also, the last 30 minutes were pretty well done and the idea to use the "Sieg Zeon" scene as the ending was brilliant. Overall, I guess I'll give this a 7/10 for but we'll see how the movies go from now on.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 2, 2012 11:33 PM
Mar 2011
My first taste of Gundam and it wasn't bad I have to say. Amuro was a bit whiny but thats understandable considering his situation and age. I do like how he starts to develop through out the movie, especially the scene with his mother.

Char is a real interesting character. Im keen to find out why Char actually betrayed his friend Garma like that..
May 24, 2012 4:14 PM
Sep 14, 2012 5:27 PM

Aug 2011
Admittedly, due to Mobile Suit Gundam being a such well-received franchise, my hopes were higher than they should've been for this movie. This film is 31 years old (33 if you count show air dates) and it definitely shows.

My first attempt into Gundam was with 00, and thereafter I excitedly felt the urge to go back to the very beginning to see how it all began. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm glad I saw this film. I enjoyed seeing how certain aspects have been carried forward into its latest incarnation. But as a stand alone piece? I wasn't impressed by the art, story, and was ultimately bored. Perfection? No. Did I like it? Eh, not really. Would I recommend it to anyone who doesn't care about the origination of Gundam? Absolutely not.

My rating: For Gundam fans only.
Oct 16, 2012 12:50 AM
Jul 2010
r4ytrace said:
perfection

I hope you are joking. I watched this movie after finishing the 43 episodes of the TV series and I have to say this movie is horrible. I cannot even begin to comprehend why people can even suggest to watch this instead of the TV series. They removed everything I loved from the TV series and what was left wasn't even the barebones.
One of the best things about the TV series was how it made clear that in war, your allies can sometimes be your worst enemies. In the original, when they arrive to Luna II the crew is arrested and was going to be court-martialed (and executed) for having used top secret military technology (No thank you for protecting them from Zeon and risking your life, despite Bright's pleas and explanations about how they've barely escaped Side 7 with a large group of evacuees, they listen to absolutely nothing the crew says.) If it wasn't because Char attacked Luna II and forced their captors to release them in order to fight him, of all them would had been killed not by the hands of Zeon, but of their own allies. That was completely removed from the movie. Another point is how ingrate people can be: besides having to fight Zeon, in the original TV series the evacuees revolt against the crew because they wanted to return to their hometowns on Earth, not caring they were in the middle of battle and not caring that the very fact they were there alive was thanks to the sacrifice the crew was making since they were consuming valuable rations and the crew refused to abandon them to their luck, even though they were suffering because of it. That was removed from the movie.
Another thing is how they ruined Matilda's character. In the original TV series she was one of the few in the Federation forces who sympathized with the White Base crew, so much that she pays the ultimate price for it. In the movie, the producers made her the same as the rest of the federation officials, making her show disgust over the white base when she exclaims: "Damn amateurs, nothing but trouble."
Not to mention that Icelina, Garma's lover tries to take revenge on the White Base, a very important episode also removed completely from the movie. The most strange thing is that they decided to keep the episode where Amuro visits his mother almost entirely which was strange since it wasn't that important compared to a lot of material being cut.

Of course not everything was bad: After watching the TV series in mono audio, the surround sound the movie uses sounds amazing. It's almost like a completely different series. Also they introduced the Newtype this early in the series, something the original TV series failed to do for some reason.

In short, only watch this movie if you have watched the TV series. This movie is NOT even a decent adaptation, and you will be losing pretty much everything it made Gundam good if you watch this instead of the TV series.
Jun 13, 2013 11:41 PM

Nov 2012
I'm wondering if someone can clear up why Char tricked Garma into attacking the Trojan ship? it didn't really accomplish anything
RX-782Jun 13, 2013 11:47 PM
Jun 14, 2013 12:06 AM

Jun 2009
Unit-01 said:
I'm wondering if someone can clear up why Char tricked Garma into attacking the Trojan ship? it didn't really accomplish anything

I'm assuming this your first time with the series? If so, just keep watching and you'll find out in, I believe, the third film. If you don't figure it out before then.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 14, 2013 12:11 AM

Nov 2012
insan3soldiern said:
Unit-01 said:

I'm assuming this your first time with the series? If so, just keep watching and you'll find out in, I believe, the third film. If you don't figure it out before then.
Yes I'm not sure why that matters though, I finished the first movie a while ago though this kept bugging me, going to watch the second later today.

EDIT: I looked back and I guess Char did it to get back(Or to dishonor) at Garmas family.
RX-782Jun 14, 2013 1:29 AM
Feb 12, 2014 7:07 PM

Sep 2012
All I know is the reveal of her brother was done poorly and way too early. In the show she only "thought" it could be him not plain out knowing.

Oh and then they go and have her act like she is still unsure even after clearly seeing him. Unlike the show where she only saw a slight portion. They didn't even interact as much until later IIRC. The movie speeds things up I get that but still kinda odd to do that.

The English DUB is actually good besides they keep saying Gundam wrong. Also I liked the voice for Bright better on the show.
RPGX_OmegaFeb 12, 2014 7:14 PM
Apr 21, 2014 7:04 PM

Sep 2011
You know i actually quite like the pacing in this, it cut out alot of the flab and focused on just the good stuff without losing anything important, if the other 2 parts are this well done then ill probably recommend watching this above the show

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 12, 2014 2:09 PM

Mar 2010
Hmmm... show or the movies??
Nov 15, 2014 4:15 AM

Sep 2013
I really liked this. It cut all of the meaningless boring parts, and what remains are the memorable moments of the story.

Damn, that ending. Gihren Zabi talking like Hitler himself.

SIEG ZEON.
Feb 6, 2015 7:15 PM

Nov 2012
So, this is where it all begins with Gundam...hope the next 2 are better than this one. A nice introduction to the franchise, 7/10.
May 6, 2015 12:39 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Hi. Are you here because you're not sure if you want to start with the show or the movie trilogy? Well hopefully I can help. Others, feel free to give your two cents as well for our newbies-- even if it's to rip this post apart:

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
May 17, 2015 3:55 AM

Mar 2015
Wow Char is cool :p
I can't compare it to the tv series but I think it was okay.
The ending was great...SIEG ZEON!
Jun 20, 2015 8:57 PM

Sep 2009
I decided to start the Gundam franchise from the beginning so I started the TV series first, but I saw people recommending the movies instead of the original series so I went ahead with the movies and despite being 34 years old, I wasn't disappointed.

You have to admire Amuro for a 15-year-old putting his life at risk fighting at war, it takes a lot of courage to do that. Of course in real life it wouldn't be that simple.

As for Char, I didn't expect him to betray Garma like that. I was beginning to think he was a "good" guy, but he sure fooled us I guess. Also in the beginning when he got face to face with Sayla, it made me think she has some kind of relation with him, maybe his sister? Seeing as they are both blonde and look a bit alike.

I guess I'll find out in the next 2 movies.
Sep 8, 2015 11:17 PM

Aug 2013
Not a bad movie. The only thing I didn't like was the scene with Amuro's mother.
Dec 1, 2015 7:39 PM

Feb 2012
Great movie. I am not a fan of Gundam, but this film was remarcable. It has a good and interesting story, and the animation was beautiful.
Jan 15, 2016 4:32 AM

Dec 2015
I decided to give the movie a chance after I reached the "Casval/Astreya" segment of the manga adaptation. I was quite disappointed after a while when I noticed two parts were missing (from the show, as I read above in a post), namely the moon base commander 's view of the White base crew and the civilians revolt. The little sentence from the supply woman officer also surprised me a bit, but since we don't see interactions between her and the crew in this version, it isn't something weird for the public. When I was near the end, I feared they would speed up and compress all the Ral's moments but they luckily didn't. On the contrary, it was a great conclusion to watch the Garma's funerals speech.

About the mother sequence, I think it was for the best to include it because it serves Amuro's characterization. This character did not win the male character 1st rank in Animage polls for nothing.

Enjoyment: 4/5
Score: 6/10

June 24, 2019
@Gytanzo This might be an 81 theatrical release but the content is 79 TV production fare (and it had some financial problems even for a TV show). The third part is the one movie that got many picture modifications/replacements (mainly because the last streak of episodes was made without the animation director and charadesigner during the TV broadcast). I would also add that the designer's style might have been a bit too hard to really replicate with TV standard (the movies he drew, Crusher Joe, Arion, Venus Wars, F91, look outstanding).
If you want to see how an early 80s cinema production "drawn" by Yasuhiko really looks like, check pictures from Crusher Joe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqfuMj_sCLc

About the voices, I think you're quite hard: not only has the actor behind Char a particular (and noticeable) voice, but Bright too in a lesser measure. Also, I thought Furuya was excellent as the young (brash) Amuro.

As for the characters... well, I don't know. Be it with the (better at time management) manga rewriting "The Origin" or this shorter movies compilation, I was surprised to realize that I had become attached to the crew (despite the few minor roles) in the end, feeling the way they had become some sort of a "family" for each other.

September 28, 2020
@Nurguburu If you meant the refugee's "mutiny" of the early episodes, you might be iterested to learn that it was "kept" (along the Luna 2 episode) by Yasuhiko in his own retelling (the Origin manga). I tought it was rather well integrated and brought something interesting to the table. (the White Base being "attacked" both by people they saved and by people they are supposed to work with, around the same time)

June 29, 2020
@metropyramid The differences with the TV series are :
- it does the same thing as the compilation movies by repositioning some events (some like in the films, others in another order),
- this helps the travel to make actual sense geographically (it's the Earth after all),
- it removes the fat (weekly fights with weekly new models and some very stagnant moments) just like the movies but with more time, it has the possibility to preserve the beginnings better to flesh the situation of the White Base (how they are considered, their place in the conflict) along other things.
- it adds a few (pretty slim) nods toward what would eventually happen later in the main continuations (Zeta/ZZ/CCA)
- that's probably me: but the longer time helps to develop a thing for the crew (it's still shorter than the TV series in that regard but it's now more than sufficient, while the films were barely succeeding even though it was enough in my case).
- it expands a bit on Sayla's actions (while keeping them in line/logical with the story). i THOUGHT it was nice.
- it "fixes" Ramba Ral chara-design. XD
- it's constantly beautifully drawn (since everything comes from the hand of Yasuhiko, chara-designer/animation director from the series)
- maybe the political/personal background intrigues feel very slightly more shown (thanks to Yasuhiko minimal rewritings),
- and now what most people will tell you about: it features a prominent "pause" in the narrative, using two full volumes early on to dive in Casval (alias Char) and Artesia (alias Sayla) 's early years. Where Char is more or less the hero (reason why it's so immensely popular). But that part comes from lots of rearrangements by the mangaka: birth dates, the way he puts together events (leading to the war) that were hinted at in the original, etc. And how he makes his "origin chapter" possible. (It's veeery novel-like and often pretty improbable. But I think that can still be seen as in line with the soap-opera undertone of the anime.)
All of this along the way he supposedly badly painted Zeon (their father) and what he made of Degwin Zabi (the Zabis father)
Still better than the deluxe (very good looking) OAVS made out of that part (where Char is basically the man that made the One Year War).
Rei_IIIJun 28, 2021 10:58 PM
Mar 25, 2016 8:30 PM

Apr 2015
it's really interesting for people that like this franchise to discover how things started. So i don't regret to choose this movie and it was an ok experience.

I think i would have enjoyed more if they had developed some of the characters because i didn't see the series. In the end of the movie i was already tired of seeing the trojan horse fighting against zeon.
Jul 22, 2016 2:22 PM

Feb 2012
Re-watched it today.

GundamInfo has uploaded it and the other two movies in the trilogy.

Fortress_MaximusJul 23, 2016 6:32 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 18, 2016 6:22 AM

Dec 2010
It's a pretty solid movie considering its age. Amuro's mother was probably the most annoying thing about it. I hope she comes into terms with her son's fate. 6/10.
Jan 9, 2017 11:24 AM

Dec 2016
Stephen Hawking's voice synthesizer has more range than Sayla's VA.
Jan 14, 2017 6:51 PM

Mar 2014
This first part got alot tension. I like that it express very good the fears of being in frontlines at war.

Char is a interesting character.
Sep 11, 2017 9:26 AM

Jul 2017
I was really on the fence about this for a lot of the film. It's good, because of the story, but the characters were played really strangely, I assume mostly because of the dub (much worse than the TV series dub). Sayla must have the worst voice actor, sounding very inconsistent, often nearly Russian (even though Char doesn't sound like that). Gundam is pronounced wrong. Char is pronounced differently than the standard dub. I'm not sure if his name is Noa Bright or Bright Noa.

The pacing was really strange at times. We'd get to a clear episode end only to jump back into the action in the next two minutes. I feel like they did not construct this like a movie; it was still constructed like a few TV episodes smushed together.

It still works though. The characters and story are still there, and I still cared about them and what was happening. I was really sad when Amuro met with his mother. I plan to watch the TV series once I finish the 3 movies.
Dec 31, 2017 1:34 PM

Sep 2012
So was that all new animation after Ramba Ral's solar flare? I definitely don't remember the Sieg Zeon speech being presented alongside visuals of the White Base in the TV series. It's been a few years since I watched it, but I forgot how pleasant and minty the color palette of the series was. I guess that helps with toy sales!
Jan 3, 2019 11:16 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Alright, finally jumping in on the motherfucking OG Gundam train. Cant deny that at the second hour i was sometimes looking at the time left in the movie but it ended up being more enjoyable than i expected and was invested in it. i'll definitly try to finish the trilogy and then move on to Zeta and etc.

i'll give it a 7/10.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 23, 2019 8:20 PM

Sep 2017
I almost feel bad giving this film as low of a score as I did, but it boils down to me having to judge films not only what they were back in their time (and this wasn't good back then either, trust me), but I also have to judge how they age today, in the modern era. There are many shows, films, and OVAs that have aged well animated and sound wise from this film's time, such as Area 88. But I digress. Let's break down what this film did right and what this film did wrong.

Let's begin with what I liked. How one enjoys any piece of art is extremely subjective. Typically, when I list what I "liked" about something, I don't just list every single thing the piece of art did correctly. Rather, I prefer listing what I enjoyed about this piece of work in comparison to other shows I have seen. In regards to that, let's start with some minor things. I enjoyed the rather large scale of this world the Gundam has created. It's large and interesting, with two parties that you can support (moral grey line = good stuff) and a wealth of interesting pieces of lore that aren't just dumped into your face (looking at you, Fairy Gone. What else? Well, I liked the Gundam's design. Char has a cool character design too. For the time, the explosions and fight animation/choreography was competent, I'd say. But herein lies the problem. That's about all I can say I truly enjoyed about this film. I was entertained for its 140-minute runtime, yes, but in comparison to other things I have seen from this time period (again, bringing up Area 88), this film falls short.

So what did this film do wrong? First, besides the aforementioned fight and explosion animation, this film looked bad. Really bad. There were some parts of this film that took me out of what was otherwise a quite interesting experience because I had to think to myself "Wow, that was bad." The story was pretty slow and boring when you sit back and think about it. I heard the pacing was even worse in the TV show, so I guess I have to commend the director for what was presented here, but just because the pacing here is better than its bad counterpart doesn't mean the pacing here is good, to begin with. The voice-acting has aged remarkably poorly. Then again, I haven't really found any piece of animation from before the 80s with decent voice-acting, in English or Japanese. The characters were just cookie-cutter vanilla personas. The only character that genuinely piqued my interest was Char, and he barely appeared in the second half of the film. Everyone else was just there, with nobody bringing something unique to the table.

I think you get the point. I don't want to make it sound like I didn't enjoy this film, because I did. Sort of. I've just seen other anime that I have enjoyed more. I'll (very regretfully) give this a high 5/10. I feel like it deserves more, but after mulling over this film I believe that is what it deserves. Based off of MAL scores alone, this appears to be the worst of the three, so here's to hoping I enjoy the others more.

Edit: July 24th, 2019 (relative to EST)
@Rei366 You make quite a few good points. I tried to go into this with the mindset of it being a TV show that just got montaged into a movie, and I understand that the TV show had a pretty low budget on top of a few production issues here and there. And I actually really liked Char's VA, I guess I forgot to mention that. Me complaining about the voice acting mostly boils down to me not being a fan of the earlier style of voice acting. In my opinion, it hasn't aged very well. I've only recently begun watching older anime, to begin with. Prior to me expanding my horizons, I exclusively watched newer stuff, with more "high-budget" voice acting, if you will. I guess it's more of a shock than anything, and it's probably just something I'll have to get used to over time. I, unfortunately, have to stand by my opinion on the characters though. Is there the possibility (or even a good possibility) that these characters will grow on me over time? Yes, very much so. However, as someone completely new to Gundam, none of these characters were very memorable outside of Char, and even he isn't anything I haven't seen before. It's a problem I think I once saw in a Gigguk video. This may be considered a classic, and it may be the show that inspired this character archetypes for decades to come. However, I've simply seen it done better, so it's hard to go backward, know what I mean? I still express a motion of gratitude for you critiquing my opinions. You're the first person on this website to do so.

GytanzoJun 24, 2019 1:24 PM
Nov 1, 2019 8:17 PM

Feb 2017
Pie and champagne.
Nov 3, 2019 7:41 AM

Feb 2017
Rei_III said:
I beg your pardon?
It's what the little kids wanted to serve to Amuro after he completed the atmospheric entry to Earth in the Gundam.
Nov 26, 2019 5:49 PM

Apr 2014
It's impressive how enjoyable they made 13 episodes of a 1979 anime crammed into 2.5 hours. That being said, this thing had some major pacing issues that bothered me.
Feb 20, 2020 10:24 AM

Jan 2017
Awesome recap movie, captured everything i loved about 79 and enhanced its quality. Would definitely rec it to people who aren't patient enough to sit through the whole series
Mar 24, 2020 4:00 PM

Aug 2017
This movie marks my introduction to Gundam. I was really uncertain whether to start with it or with the series, but ultimately the arguments in favor of the trilogy won me over.
It was a decent movie, although not without its problems - some things felt kinda left out. What did happen to the Gundam parts that were supposedly left on the colony and needed to be destroyed with "napalm"? What did happen to the colony, anyway? Why did the escort ship not help the main crew on Earth? Did they just abandon them or what? And where are the space fleets anyway? Well, I guess these problems are natural due to the fact that the film is an abridged version of the TV show. I want to know more about the world of Gundam.
By the way, I was extremely glad to hear Norio Wakamoto and Motomu Kiyokawa, even in minor roles and for a short period of time, they have such legendary voices.

Get in the Gundam, Amuro!
Sep 27, 2020 3:09 PM

Aug 2017
I just watched the first 14 episodes of the TV series so I could watch the first movie since its based around that amount of episodes. They don't omitted important plot points of the first 2 episodes but things started to change after that:

For a second, I was worried that they skipped episode 12 since it was very important but im glad that they added to the end. I have good and bad things to say about this movie, its good that its more plot-based than the TV series since some actions scenes were unnecessary especially the resupply episode of Char's ship or Amuro using the Gundam to destroy a small base lol. Also the improvement in animation is pretty good. I never liked the refugee subplot in the TV series but the movie omitted scenes that were valuable for the development of Amuro, it wasn't a good to remove that subplot completely, it just didn't have to be so unnecessarily long. Fortunately, removing Icelina's episode does not contradict her father decision by preventing her from going into battle, something that I found weird in the TV series since Icelina did what she wanted later without any problem. Sadly, the pacing is not good, I don't felt when the White Base crew is resting after each battle while I never have that issue in the TV series. And eliminating important episodes like Luna II or Char's hints of betrayal were unforgivable to my eyes.

Should I recommend this movie or the first 14 episodes of the TV series?

-If you want character development and interactions, gray area factions, good plot twists and better pacing, watch the TV series.
-If you want better animation and a more plot-based Gundam, watch the movie.

Personally, I prefer the first 14 episodes of the original version over the movie because of the better pacing and interactions. 6/10 for the movie.

NurguburuNov 3, 2020 6:47 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 23, 2020 2:57 AM

Aug 2017
Rei_III said:
@Nurguburu If you meant the refugee's "mutiny" of the early episodes, you might be iterested to learn that it was "kept" (along the Luna 2 episode) by Yasuhiko in his own retelling (the Origin manga). I tought it was rather well integrated and brought something interesting to the table. (the White Base being "attacked" both by people they saved and by people they are supposed to work with, around the same time)

Thanks you for telling me! I have no idea about it!
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 26, 2021 11:38 AM

Apr 2016
Gundam the Origin made Garma seem like a douche but here he was an innocent boy. Screw Char!

Frau is the most likeable character thus far.

Also interesting to see how - despite internet discourse hypes up the Federation and Zeon as super evil - here they're not really presented as evil. The Feddies are simply incompetent and the Zeon are simply the antagonists. I guess the "both sides are Nazi evil" thing came in later installments.
Jun 27, 2021 11:14 AM

Feb 2020
Overall pretty good and interesting. I am still confused with several details but I understand the basic premise. I might watch the TV series eventually, but for now, onto the next 2 movies.
Jun 27, 2021 3:36 PM

Feb 2020
Rei_III said:
metropyramid said:
I might watch the TV series eventually, but for now, onto the next 2 movies.

If you can, prefer the Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin manga.

Thank you! I'll definitely check it out, love me a good manga.

May I ask the difference between it and the OG?
Jun 27, 2021 3:39 PM
Jan 2021
JogaBonito said:
My first taste of Gundam and it wasn't bad I have to say. Amuro was a bit whiny but thats understandable considering his situation and age. I do like how he starts to develop through out the movie, especially the scene with his mother.

Char is a real interesting character. Im keen to find out why Char actually betrayed his friend Garma like that..

And now you know where Shinji got it from. Also the more you learn about Char the more you'll love him and if your a huge fan of Him I recomend watching the Origin where he's the main charicter
Jun 27, 2021 3:47 PM
Jan 2021
Veethorn said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was really surprised by the quality of this movie considering it's age, got me interested in the series!

The whole Universal Century holds up very well despite a majority of it being animated between the late 70s an early 90s and the more modern stuff is great too.

you've got the main canon in order of The Origin > Mobile Suit Gundam> Zeta Gundam> ZZ Gundam > Char's Counteratack> Unicorn> Hathway's Flash> F91> Crossbone(manga only)> Victory& Ghost(manga only)> Dust(manga only)

then there's all the spin offs

set during the orignal Gundam there's MS08th Team, War in the Pocket, and Igloo

and between Gundam and Zeta Gunda you have Stardust Memory and the Advance of Zeta manga

seriously the Gundam Universe is masive and its a fun ride (except for the first half of ZZ )
Jun 27, 2021 3:57 PM

Feb 2020
Perry555 said:
JogaBonito said:

And now you know where Shinji got it from. Also the more you learn about Char the more you'll love him and if your a huge fan of Him I recomend watching the Origin where he's the main charicter

I'm very excited to learn more about Char. He's super interesting.
Jun 27, 2021 4:00 PM
Jan 2021
metropyramid said:
Perry555 said:

I'm very excited to learn more about Char. He's super interesting.

He's one of the most popular and imporant charicters in the Gundam UC canon he's a major charicter in The Origin, Gundam, Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack. Trust me your in for a good time with him
Jun 28, 2021 4:38 AM

Sep 2014
This is not my first Gundam so I dont need a reason for kids fighting, they are the main characters after all. But why exactly has the newest ship with their first Gundam no soldiers? Seems like a lot was skipped but I would not be surprised if thats just how it goes in the TV show as well.

Anyway I am surprised just how similar "modern" gundams are to the original. And for a nearly 50 year old movie this still looks great. I only dislike the character design a bit but thats just the 80s style.

This feels a bit too fast paced at times, especially for character developement a lot of stuff just happens and gets resolved in 5 minutes. Probably better than the slow pacing of the show, but I will watch that some time later.

I can see how this kickstarted the massively popular Gundam franchise, its good even now and imagine watching this 40 years ago..
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 28, 2021 1:19 PM
Jan 2021
Comander-07 said:
This is not my first Gundam so I dont need a reason for kids fighting, they are the main characters after all. But why exactly has the newest ship with their first Gundam no soldiers? Seems like a lot was skipped but I would not be surprised if thats just how it goes in the TV show as well.

Anyway I am surprised just how similar "modern" gundams are to the original. And for a nearly 50 year old movie this still looks great. I only dislike the character design a bit but thats just the 80s style.

This feels a bit too fast paced at times, especially for character developement a lot of stuff just happens and gets resolved in 5 minutes. Probably better than the slow pacing of the show, but I will watch that some time later.

I can see how this kickstarted the massively popular Gundam franchise, its good even now and imagine watching this 40 years ago..

They brush over it quickly in the movie but the White Base was a brand new top secret prototype that had a minmal skelton crew who was sent to pick up the Gundam, Guncanon, and guntank along with the parts for 2 more gundam units. Char's unit ambushed them with their Zaku takeing most of the small crew out in a few explosions meaning they had to make up for lack of an actual crew with whomever they could get their hands on. Also by the time they've made it back to earth the EF is working on the mass production gundam known as the GM so they realy dont need them much any more so just have them run around as a distraction useing a bunch of kids as bait instead of wasting the man power of their profesionaly trained solders by the end of the one year war the White Base is considered disposable.

TLDR: Zeon killed the small solder group who was suposed to man White Base and by the time they made it to earth the earth fedratrion was already producing a mass production suit based on the gundam so they decided to just use a bunch of inocent kids as a distraction while they worked on building their forces up.
Jun 29, 2021 8:37 AM

Sep 2014
Perry555 said:
Comander-07 said:

They brush over it quickly in the movie but the White Base was a brand new top secret prototype that had a minmal skelton crew who was sent to pick up the Gundam, Guncanon, and guntank along with the parts for 2 more gundam units. Char's unit ambushed them with their Zaku takeing most of the small crew out in a few explosions meaning they had to make up for lack of an actual crew with whomever they could get their hands on. Also by the time they've made it back to earth the EF is working on the mass production gundam known as the GM so they realy dont need them much any more so just have them run around as a distraction useing a bunch of kids as bait instead of wasting the man power of their profesionaly trained solders by the end of the one year war the White Base is considered disposable.

TLDR: Zeon killed the small solder group who was suposed to man White Base and by the time they made it to earth the earth fedratrion was already producing a mass production suit based on the gundam so they decided to just use a bunch of inocent kids as a distraction while they worked on building their forces up.
I saw the movie obviously, Im saying its pretty dumb or "plot convenient" for their super important stuff to have no escorts. Why would they even need to pick up the gundams if by the time they are back on earth they already have dozens.

I heard the military disliked white base for whatever reason so I guess that would explain it, but for a story which is deep enough to make Char its odd they dont go into it at all. Its not even a take on the japanese navy - army rivalry, having old space ship adnirals distrust new mobile suits. Its just an unexplained plot point
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 29, 2021 9:08 AM
Jan 2021
Comander-07 said:
Perry555 said:

I saw the movie obviously, Im saying its pretty dumb or "plot convenient" for their super important stuff to have no escorts. Why would they even need to pick up the gundams if by the time they are back on earth they already have dozens.

I heard the military disliked white base for whatever reason so I guess that would explain it, but for a story which is deep enough to make Char its odd they dont go into it at all. Its not even a take on the japanese navy - army rivalry, having old space ship adnirals distrust new mobile suits. Its just an unexplained plot point

it was more so the test data of the gundam that was imporant to the fedration then the large unweildly Gundam. The Gundam wasnt a secret wepon it was a testbed mobile suit other MSs were to be based on. The GMs weren't fully ready to run off the line until they got to Jaburo in south america with that data and why no escorts. Simple the earth fedration was streached thin already as the colony drop and chaos on earth had killed 50% of earth's population already. As for why the military disliked white base they were basicly victim blameing they belived if the solders had just done their job and not wasted their lives saveing a bunch of useless civilans they would be alive and the gundam would be in the hands of a poper fedration pilot and not a child. The earth fedration is just as if not more corupt as zeon and you want to see that fully realized I recomend watching Zeta Gundam. The whole resason forthe distrust is more to do with stuff introduced in movies two and three haveing to do with Newtype theroy and a distinct racisim the earth born higher ups have for those born and raised in space. they perfer their solders be the elite earthling uper class like themselves.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» how should i go about it?

Ubada03 - Nov 29, 2023

6 by Epiccgaymer »»
Dec 5, 2023 4:09 AM

» What am I doing wrong?

operanerd - Jun 20, 2023

24 by operanerd »»
Jul 3, 2023 7:49 PM

Poll: » Why Do People Suggest This?

Uutama - Feb 17, 2023

12 by Lucifrost »»
Mar 23, 2023 12:10 PM

» Is this just a compilation of scenes from the original?

Teirayo - Feb 27, 2022

4 by OneMoreFinal »»
Jul 18, 2022 7:32 AM

» Should I start watching the UC timeline with the series or the movie trilogy?

glisteningsunset - Jan 1, 2016

2 by animalia »»
Sep 22, 2016 7:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.