Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 22, 2011 12:47 PM

Apr 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This anime already was a 10 for me, but with this episode it grew epicer than epic.
Nov 29, 2012 3:26 AM

Jun 2008
Hell yes. I was planning to give this anime a 9, but after this episode... Definitely a 10. This episode was god damn sad, and the whole atmosphere in this anime is. EPIC
Feb 11, 2013 3:35 AM

Aug 2007
Flowlance said:
Hell yes. I was planning to give this anime a 9, but after this episode... Definitely a 10.

My thoughts exactly. I've changed my rating also. And I would probably enjoy th episode more if I hadn't been spoiled already.

BTW, the ironic part is that Rikishi would have won much earlier if he hadn't stopped his uppercut when the gong rang.
Aug 13, 2013 3:58 PM

Jul 2008
Whoa, I didn't see that coming!

goral said:

BTW, the ironic part is that Rikishi would have won much earlier if he hadn't stopped his uppercut when the gong rang.

That doesn't matter at all imo. Finishing the punch (and finishing the fight) after the round ended would not be satisfactory for Rikishi: he is a boxer after all.
Mitsuhashi_Takashi said:
What are you living for? This is your life, live for the sake of it! Screw what everyone else things! If they get in your way, just blow them away!
Feb 16, 2014 8:44 PM

Mar 2012
Dam didn't expect Rikiishi to die ;_; Now Joe will never be able to have a rematch with him :(
Oct 4, 2014 4:14 PM

Nov 2013
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 5, 2014 3:22 PM

Jan 2013
I am lost.

Literally.

I will miss Rikiishi as a man, he's gone.

Jun 5, 2015 7:10 AM

Jul 2014
That handshake... was destined to not happen.
Jul 3, 2015 5:56 PM
💉 🩸 🩹 💖 🏥

Feb 2012
Oh God this is so cruel. That match was absolutely savage. A real man's world.

Even in death he smiles. RIP Rikiishi Tohru.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Jul 7, 2015 8:00 AM

Aug 2013
rip Rikishi :(
huh
Aug 8, 2015 3:58 PM
Nov 2014
Fuck NO DUDE......

I'm fucking speechless, what a fucking episode....

Joe lost everything in this episode man... EVERYTHING. I really want to hug him D:
Aug 25, 2015 11:17 PM

Nov 2010
This was a fantastic episode. They really nailed the tone of everything.
Jan 29, 2016 9:42 PM

Dec 2009
I was really shocked by this episode. I thought Rikiishi was going to be Joe's final opponent or something so his death came as a total shock. Poor Joe, Rikiishi was pretty much his reason for living at this point.

Gonna miss his cool attitude and smile.
Feb 26, 2016 6:38 PM

Dec 2008
I was already spoiled because I knew that they held a real funreal in japan when it happend in the manga, but I expected it to happen towards the end of this anime and not this early...
The way Rikiishi died and how the reporters delivered the message - It was so realistic and well written! I can understand why this manga/anime inspired so many people.
I'm so curious what will happen next, because now there's no goal in sight and I know that there are still 30 + 50 episodes left. The reason why Joe is boxing after all is pretty much gone.
ChytharoFeb 26, 2016 6:41 PM
Feb 27, 2016 5:49 PM

Jul 2010
I got spoiled on Rikiishi's death on the LoGH discussion board a while ago, random and douche move... though I really didn't expect it to be this "early" I mean we still got a decent amount of eps left atleast on season 1 of this anime, really wonder where the story will take us next.
Mar 23, 2016 1:33 PM

Sep 2012
I'm just here to pay my last respects to a real man. Fantastic episode, indeed. We will never forget the man and boxer, Rikiishi Tooru.
iTrombeMar 23, 2016 1:41 PM
Mar 24, 2016 9:21 PM

Jun 2008
I'm so lucky I didn't get spoiled for this. I was totally shocked! I thought for sure they would get to have a re-match someday. I wonder what the rest of the show will be about. What goal will Joe have now?
Oct 4, 2016 4:23 PM

Feb 2013
That lucky punch and that unlucky fall on the rope killed Rikiishi, wtf.
Joe lost the fight and his goal.
Jun 3, 2017 4:23 PM
Oct 2016
There's so many layers to this episode, so many emotions at different points for different characters.

Rikiishi absolutely stole the show from the moment he first showed up, I can't believe this isn't even halfway through the story, I have no idea what direction it will go in next.

This has to be one of the greatest anime episodes of all time and Rikiishi's death is definitely one of the best anime deaths of all time without a doubt. He died with his trademark smile on his face, rest in peace Toru Rikiishi.
Jul 5, 2017 3:09 PM

Nov 2016
Wow,I'm speechless, that was easily one of the most powerful anime episodes I've ever seen.

Rikiishi wasn't just a man of determination and honor, he was also a very important, if not not the most imporant person for Joe. The influence their rivalry had on Joes personality change cannot be dismissed.

The moment Joe admitted his loss and wanted to shake hands with him showed how far he came since episode one. And now the person who's mainly responsible for this is gone, I wonder how this will affect Joes development from here on.

At this point it's almost safe to say for me, this show is a masterpiece.

R.I.P. Rikiishi Toru you died without a regret in the world and with a smile on your face.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 30, 2017 12:39 PM

Jul 2015
I honestly quite expected it after the weird hit he got in the previous episode, but fuck it hurt anyways, that was a tragic ending to the match, at least Rikiishi ended his life with a victory against his rival Joe.

Rest in piece Rikiishi, you're a legend.
Sep 4, 2017 1:02 PM

Dec 2016
Rikiishi, you're not dead. You are immortal.
Sep 23, 2017 11:14 AM

May 2016
I'm so shocked these sudden deaths are the real thing they hit you harder than puberty, I really
Wanna pay my respects to Rikishi the legend, I was 100% sure they would have a rematch when
Joe climbs the divisions and no to forget that song they played in the ending of every episode effect
Was gigantic I'm literally in tears now Rikkshi I used to hate you I used to despise you but in the
end you were legend rest in peace the legend of Japan Rikishi Tooru.
Sep 26, 2017 8:22 PM

Jan 2010

I actually clapped. The fight had everything: strategizing, brawling, back-and-forth bouts, suspenseful staredowns, and that final punch that ended it all. The finished storyline between Joe and Rikiishi that seemed at first to put the rivalry to rest for the moment. The highlighted moment during the 6th match where Rikiishi feel down strangely, which was brilliantly forgotten until it was referred back to. The slow build up to the reveal. The music suddenly cutting short upon the reveal, where it took everyone, especially Joe, a long pause to really understand the news. The whole scene where Joe was looking into Rikiishi's face in silence. The final scene where Joe wanted to look at Rikiishi's face again, and the screen zoomed out to show the two fighters in their own world.

Everything was on point. This is Osamu Dezaki at full power. This is Ashita no Joe at its finest. I'm not sure what else to say.
ShockedSep 27, 2017 4:52 PM
Nov 14, 2017 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
Yabuki didn't kill Rikiishi. Ikki Kajiwara killed him! I bet Ikki Kajiwara's father was a soldier of the Imperial Japanese Army that went to Nanking to rape a Chinky woman! Why did Ikki had to kill Rikiishi? Rikiishi is the very definition of man! Yabuki should've gained weight for the featherweight class. Rikiishi didn't had to lose weight just to be in the bantamweight. This is BS.
Jan 16, 2018 2:01 PM

Aug 2015
Absolutely sublime episode. I knew this was coming since the fight had been spoiled for me but this still hit me very hard. Everything in this episode was perfect; the moments of long silence, the expressions of despair on Joe and Yohko, the dialogues of each character and the sheer power of their voice actors, and the final scene where the screen zoomed out as Joe stared at Rikiishi. He died with a smile on his face, what a legend.
Jan 25, 2018 7:41 PM

Aug 2016
manliest episode coming from the manliest anime I haver seen in my life (so far).
:v
Feb 1, 2018 10:58 PM

Nov 2012
I'm speechless. i was also spoiled on Rikiishi's death, despite that, his death still left me in a shock.
So this particular event is the reason behind Joe's gloomy moments from season 2. i can see how this is gonna be the turning point for Joe's character development.
Last sequence of the episode was magnificent.

"A parentless, nameless, homeless boxer.. has bitten off his chains! Yeah, Yeah!"

Mar 13, 2018 5:20 AM
Jul 2018
After I readed the manga, I looked this episode to see how they adapted Rikiishi's death, and it was glorious.
I would say, this is the most glorious death I've seen. The lyrics of the Rikiishi's theme fit perfectly with the moment.
A bit strange that just after, they put the habitual second ending (because it's pratically the same theme two times in a row), but it help to strengthens Rikiishi's death, and I think this was perfectly made.
May 21, 2018 3:35 PM

Oct 2016
I'm totally speechless.
Oh my goddess of god. I am at my highest point of surprise.
This episode has made me feel many emotions.
I do not know how I would describe Toru Rikiishi as a character, amazing how he says goodbye to the show in this episode, leaving a very good memory.
The man more man among men. Honorable and nobly until the death.
May 23, 2018 7:30 AM
Jun 2012
The true man's wolrd, rip Rikishii
May 25, 2018 12:34 PM

Jun 2017
As many others have alluded to, although I knew this was coming, expectation did little to dull the shock of seeing it unfold. A magnificent conclusion to the rivalry between Joe and Rikiishi.
May 26, 2018 5:53 PM

Apr 2013
Out of many character deaths that I've seen in old ass anime of this Era this has been the most impactful one. For Joe he was the main goal. An eternal, undefeated rival.
Feb 1, 2019 2:35 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I can't stop crying. This anime is such a masterpiece, from character interactions to unique dialogues, not to mention the storytelling.

R.I.P Rikiishi Tooru

6/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Mar 17, 2019 3:56 PM

Apr 2014
dang Rikiishi died. at least he got to die while officially beating joe
May 9, 2019 8:54 PM
Mar 2018
Oh damn... He actually died. I thought that would the case after episode 46 but then he seemed to get better to such an extent that i thought the writing decided to somehow magically cured him because of an emotional talk with Yohko.

But the fight lived up to the hype, a back and forth (both in a strategic way and in a quite literal one) between these two boxers that wanted this confrontation more than anything. And of course Rikiishi was victorious but all he had to endure to win validated just how extraordinary he was and it's only more tragic he'll never fulfill his potential.

I'll concede i didn't expect the writing to be this "realistic". They built up what he was doing to himself and the dangers and they built up that accidents in a fight can have life-changing consequences for the boxes in Joe v Wolf. And they delivered on all that build up.

And it lead to one man dying and, going forward, the other having to deal with the notion kinda, sort of his punch killed him. And how tragic since they both had just found closure from the rivalry that had consumed them to this point.

I can't wait to see what happens to Joe going forward. Because he came back very quickly from ending Wolf's career but this is another level, and someone he deeply respected. How he sees boxing, how he blames himself or not, how his demeanor and goals change... I'm so hyped for all of these questions being answered.
Sep 10, 2019 4:00 PM
Apr 2016
I goddamn DESPISE Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru for spoiling Rikiishi's death to me, why did that anime have such a goddamn important spoiler?! That's seriously unfair.

While I knew that his death was coming, it was still shocking and mind-boggling, can't believe Rikiishi's actually gone.. The reporters coming in with their ghastly facial expressions was brilliant, their shock was portrayed very well. Joe's reaction was also fitting and realistic, though I'm surprised that the shock didn't make him pass out. Well, unfortunate! Happens in boxing though, that's the cruel path of a boxer for you.
Oct 9, 2019 3:13 AM

Jun 2016
twoego said:
I goddamn DESPISE Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru for spoiling Rikiishi's death to me, why did that anime have such a goddamn important spoiler?! That's seriously unfair.

same, was pretty mad when i watched run with the wind

still enjoyed this episode alot
Oct 15, 2019 8:29 PM

May 2019
The morning sun rises upon the hearts of men!
;_;
Nov 4, 2019 1:14 PM
Aug 2019
RIP Rikiishi Tooru.

Hoe will Joe handle this now?
Jul 11, 2020 5:16 AM

Oct 2017
No matter how many times I watch this show, this episode....gets me every time.
Jul 12, 2020 4:00 AM

Mar 2020
Rikiishi's death hit so hard for me, and especially at the end when the ED started playing I just started crying like a baby. I've watched it like last week and I can't stop thinking about it.
Joe, Joe Forever....
Aug 4, 2020 7:56 AM
Hello World!:))

Oct 2015
Farewell Rikiishi, the man, the myth, the legend.
"I'll be done soon. If you wait nicely, I'll buy you some sweetbread." said Lawrence.

- I'll thank you not to treat me like a child.

"Oh, you don't want any?"

- I do.

Jan 24, 2021 11:07 AM

Feb 2014
Hooolly Molly, Rikiishi dying after defeating Joe, now that's a shocker.

And Joe's reaction after hearing the news was crazy.
Feb 3, 2021 12:38 AM
Jul 2010
RIP Rikishi, a beautiful anime this is. A lot of modern shounen are inspired from this anime and specifically the scenes in this episode. Dragon Ball is one that comes straight to mind when one of the main character dies in the original series when they're kids.
Feb 8, 2021 9:07 AM
Jul 2018

That was so sad. Joe lost his rival and his friend. One of the saddest moments in Hajime no Ippo was when
At the time I thought it was an original storyline but it was clearly influenced by this and not nearly as powerful.

Fuck the dipshits who thought it would be a good idea to spoil Rikishi's death. Why do some of the best anime have the worst episode preview spoilers? I purposely change tabs when they come on but I don't close it until they end in case there's a post-credits scene. My eye only skimmed the word "death" upon closing the tab but it was enough to know what would happen this episode.
Mar 4, 2021 12:32 PM

Jul 2020
I hate that the episode preview from the last episode spoiled this episode, but I’m still very shocked. Wow.
Mar 9, 2021 2:46 AM

Apr 2011
n6ah said:
I hate that the episode preview from the last episode spoiled this episode

Yeah, that bugged me too and I tried to understand why they did that. Maybe it was about maximising viewership, the previews are always like tabloid newspaper headlines. But maybe it's also because "spoiler culture" was not a thing there and then.
Mar 29, 2021 9:09 AM

Feb 2012
Glad I wasn't spoiled, didn't even watch previews. This was very impressive also because I had thought of the possibility of the match being too much for Rikishi, but I didn't believe they'd go so far as to kill him off. Especially losing weight by dehydration, that's extremely dangerous. So they gave us plenty of hints before and during the match, but nothing so conclusive that it would have lessened the shock.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 54 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 16, 2014

27 by lonewatcher565 »»
Aug 16, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 52 Discussion

17 by lonewatcher565 »»
Aug 15, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 6 Discussion

Khalibiev - Jun 18, 2011

25 by resulavman »»
Aug 9, 3:45 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 11 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 9, 2014

18 by TsutanaiFuun »»
Aug 5, 6:09 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 42 Discussion

19 by lonewatcher565 »»
Aug 3, 1:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.