Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 16, 2014 9:23 PM

Mar 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Really dislike that high and mighty attitude Yoko has. Wonder how long this moping arc is gonna last...
Nov 7, 2014 1:02 PM

Jan 2013
Yohko has such a strong damn point. Joe made Wolf an useless boxer and killed Rikiishi, and now Joe's trying to escape the world of beoxing. Isn't that too coward-ish?
Apr 4, 2015 9:54 PM

Aug 2013
The emotions where running quite high in this episode.
Jun 19, 2015 3:38 PM

Sep 2014
My heart won't be able to go through 66 more episodes
Jul 6, 2015 5:51 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
As high and mighty as Yoko acts, she's definitely right here. Completely.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Aug 9, 2015 4:16 AM
Nov 2014
Fuck Yoko and her attitude. Joe has gone through alot... damn emotional trip.
Jan 30, 2016 9:14 PM

Dec 2009
What does she want Joe to do? Seriously. No need to guilt trip.
Feb 28, 2016 2:55 PM

Jul 2010
Both Yohko and Joe have points to their arguments honestly.

guywholikesanime said:
My heart won't be able to go through 66 more episodes

I know right.
Oct 6, 2016 3:20 AM

Feb 2013
Yoko is right, Joe has to man up already.
Jul 6, 2017 5:50 AM

Nov 2016
Yoko has a point, but Joes emotional state is understandable too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 30, 2017 2:58 PM

Jul 2015
I can understand how both feel, this is sad.
May 23, 2018 8:22 PM

Oct 2016
This is how the boxing world is, ruthless and cruel. If a boxer can not fight anymore, they forget him...
The press as always taking advantage of anything.
This episode was very fast for me, and I liked it a lot.
The dialogue between Joe and Yoko also has its meaning... Yoko is certainly right, Joe has permanently injured Wolf Kanagushi and then ""Rikiishi"", so he should carry the weight of their wills, since both had a lot of potential for boxing, but is not taking into account that Joe is going through a serious emotional and sentimental moment. What makes he not to think well.
Oct 25, 2018 3:53 PM

Aug 2008
Yoko's such a shithead. Make your points but don't berate and insult the guy while he's down.
May 24, 2019 9:04 PM
May 2018
This episode made me like Yohko actually. I think she's strong willed and isn't afraid to speak her mind. She was harsh and should understand that Joe isn't in his right mind and is grieving but she's certainly not wrong.
Sep 11, 2019 6:37 PM
Apr 2016
This episode had some toptier drama, it was very intense and hard to watch.

Can't believe Joe actually tried drinking it away, depression or not, that's just pathetic. Yohko was very direct, and I believe she spoke a lot of truth. Joe mustn't waste Wolf's and Rikiishi's devotion, they gave their everything to beat Joe & evolve as a boxer, to beat a man who now tries to drink away his worries. Joe must stand up on his feet once more.
Nov 6, 2019 1:12 PM
Aug 2019
Joe and Yohko meet at a bar, and have a heated discussion about the meaning of boxing
Jul 21, 2020 3:15 PM

Oct 2018
Bruh fuck Yoko, this bitch really called Joe a baby and said that he deserves to die in a ring. I hate her way more then characters like Malty or the bullies from Elfen Lied, she has a point, but she can't get it across without being such an unlikeable person.
1738 crack that remix dbz amv (18+)
Feb 10, 2021 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
Would love to see the members of the press as Joe's next opponents lol.

I like how the argument was presented. Yohko made some good points but did so in such an abrasive way that made her come off looking worse. Very realistic considering people will sometimes lash out at others when grieving. She doesn't want to see Joe wallow in self-pity after ending the career of one boxer and the life of another. Saying he should die in the ring is callous though, especially coming from someone who has lived a life of luxury and never stepped foot in the ring herself.

Joe didn't react well either but for once he wasn't the one being antagonistic.

blank said:
This episode had some toptier drama, it was very intense and hard to watch.

Can't believe Joe actually tried drinking it away, depression or not, that's just pathetic. Yohko was very direct, and I believe she spoke a lot of truth. Joe mustn't waste Wolf's and Rikiishi's devotion, they gave their everything to beat Joe & evolve as a boxer, to beat a man who now tries to drink away his worries. Joe must stand up on his feet once more.

People often drink and become depressed after a bad breakup, god forbid Joe needs a drink after killing a friend in the ring. I agree that he needs to pick himself up but a 3 day bender isn't unexpected given what he's been through. He'll come out of it sooner than later rather than becoming an alcoholic like his coach.

Klad said:
Yohko has such a strong damn point. Joe made Wolf an useless boxer and killed Rikiishi, and now Joe's trying to escape the world of beoxing. Isn't that too coward-ish?

The point would hold more weight if he assaulted them in the streets. These incidents happened in a professional bout between consenting adults. Not to mention in Wolf's case their match happened shortly after he assaulted a group of children. A fighter can have their fill of violence after a while. Joe should pick himself up but he should continue to fight because he wants to, not just for Rikishi and Wolf.
Mar 4, 2021 8:19 PM

Jul 2020
This the type of drama that makes you feel uncomfortable and interesting at the same time. Yoko's development up until this point has been remarkable.
Mar 29, 2021 9:19 AM

Aug 2015
People are harsh on Yoko's somewhat haughty attitude, but she is still very relevant. Joe can't just mope around and quit boxing like nothing happened. He's not one of them, and he has to live from boxing.
Mar 29, 2021 11:46 AM

Feb 2012
I don't think Yoko's right. As usual she's just self-righteous, thinking she's better than others and in a position to judge everyone. Basically what Joe's been saying about her since day one.

What's worse is that she's using her standing to manipulate Joe while still pretending to stay morally upright. I can see how people think that she's right, that Joe needs to man up. But no. Joe doesn't owe Rikishi anything. He's dead now, and it's up to Joe to decide how to best move on. He could man up for himself, and he could consider the feelings of others more, which has always been a problem for him. But to keep fighting and die in the ring just because Yoko's grieving? No. She wants to hurt the man who killed her lover (though that was largely implied), and since she can't do it directly, she appeals to ideals of honor, duty and masculinity to manipulate him into getting damaged. If Joe were to listen to her, it would be for all the wrong reasons. Surely Joe is going to return to the ring, but it shouldn't be because of Yoko's reasons.

The episode was good in depicting the cruelty of the media and the boxing world already hungry for more blood and sensations. It's an interesting contrast to the juvenile prison. One world for criminals, another one for responsible adults, and yet what is really different is that as long as other people are destroyed while still following the rules of society - or boxing - then it's supposed to be okay.
Dec 17, 2021 3:43 PM

May 2018
yeah Yohko was being a bitch here
Jan 23, 2022 9:13 PM

Dec 2021
Yoko was right

Joe gotta take responsibility and face his actions

Running and wallowing in pain isn't gonna solve anything

--
I actually like this piped-up version of Yohko .. intriguing character development post-Rikiishi death indeed for both characters
Jan 10, 2023 9:38 AM
May 2017
The drama in this story is really well done.
Apr 20, 2023 6:46 AM

Jan 2013
Strong episode.
Yoko brings up some interesting points, what's the point if he just quits right now, she feels like he at least owes Rikiishi and Wolf to a certain extent to keep going
Also Yoko obviously doesn't want to see Joe wallow in self pity after she lost Rikiishi ... though to say Joe should die in the ring was too much.
PrOxAntoApr 20, 2023 8:29 AM
Nov 16, 2023 4:48 AM
Sep 2016
Yoko's attitude is really annoying but at the same time... Joe did kill a guy and it's hard to imagine someone just being cool with that. Joe needs to take responsibility for what he did someway somehow and Yoko is mature enough to sorta step outside herself and help him. But she does it all with this high-minded shit. "You're just a brat, i on the other hand am an adult" - real dialogue. She ends the episode pretty much "I'm taking the high road here".

She's right to be a pain Joe murdered her love. But it's harder as a viewer being able to see into joe's psyche
Jan 9, 1:07 PM
Jan 2024
Joe permanently injured Wolf and inadvertently killed Rikiishi because of their fight, but Joe also had the risk of receiving a permanent injury or a deadly injury as well. Yoko calls Joe a "criminal boxer," but the same could be applied to Rikiishi, since he met Joe in Juvenile Penitentiary.

I think both characters are experiencing grief in their own way. Yoko at first said she blames herself for Rikiishis death by enabling his weight cutting, but later says Joe is to blame to his face.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Karusan - Nov 22, 2011

71 by johneaston »»
Apr 12, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 25 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 15, 2014

15 by adoedem »»
Apr 6, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 69 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 17, 2014

17 by berzherk_ »»
Apr 2, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 40 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 16, 2014

21 by Marie333 »»
Mar 23, 6:01 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 50 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 16, 2014

27 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 3, 12:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.