Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Jul 9, 2015 5:04 PM

Feb 2010
Day 1: "In spite of the terrible art, it was still watchable."
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
Aug 29, 2015 6:39 AM

Jun 2009
That...turned out to be pretty intense and awesome. Looking forward to it. Also got used to the animation pretty quickly.
Nov 5, 2015 4:04 PM

Aug 2014
Great first episode , looks like it will be a great anime .
good animation , unique drawing/art style , nice dialogue , nice OST .
Dec 6, 2015 8:53 PM

Feb 2010
Omg the Chinese VA actually had a perfect accent x)

Mar 18, 2016 10:15 AM

Sep 2015
Awesome first episode, it got me interested in it pretty fast!

I like the unique animation style! The dialogues also were pretty smart!

5/5
Mar 19, 2016 8:13 PM

Dec 2014
I didn't know ping pong could be so badass!
Mar 21, 2016 9:18 PM

Apr 2015
Great episode. Although the art style is something that I need to get used to, I'll get used to it somehow.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Mar 28, 2016 1:01 AM

Dec 2012
Well this is something new... lol
Apr 2, 2016 5:59 PM

Feb 2016
I do enjoy it when an anime show or any show for that matter introduces someone without requiring the injection of corny stereotypes or usage of 'subtle propaganda'. In fact they even directly express that intention by saying "china isn't just for ramen and dumplings." Pico on the other hand learnt that lesson not 5 minutes later.

They didn't do the exact opposite and overglorify it either. The Chinese player was dismissive and obnoxious whilst Peco was likewise in the same vein, though in a more jovial manner throughout the pilot.

Wenge is an absolute arsehole, but at the same time they give pause to show why he's in a persistently foul mood which is also relatable to the audience. He didn't explode into a typical fit of anger either, it was a smouldering anger which I think adds a bit of realism to it. You don't act like an angry child in front a stranger.

They reference real events (strict chlid athlete program in china) to highlight how table tennis was the only thing he had, the perfectionist attitude instilled in him and his despair for being deemed worthless. His entire life is measured by this tight rope, where one slip will undo all his hard work climbing up. It's not that he intensely hates Japan as far as I can tell, he's just fed up with being exiled to another place whilst the first string and perhaps the second strings went off to Europe.

Compared to a 'shounen' sports anime, this is an absolute gold mine in showing character complexity and it's only the first episode!

It's very hard to do if you compare the entirety of all anime as a comparison, but you dislike the Wenge as a character and not as a cardboard personality.

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun already but I'm ranking this at 10/10 so far (I'm not picky about artstyle in general) and this might give me more incentive to watch sports anime.
Cloud_IllusionMay 6, 2016 5:04 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
May 4, 2016 5:04 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Awesome way to start the series. Really enjoying the style of the series. The art is different but not bad. The animations are really damn fluid though :D

5/5
Jun 18, 2016 8:06 PM

Feb 2015
SolviteWoTaberu said:
So is this show actually good or are people just being sarcastic?

I really can't tell anymore.

that is EXACTLY how i feel. many people say it's wonderful but after coming off a really bad anime i'm nervous and can't bare anymore atrocities.

Black_wind said:
I really enjoyed the first episode...it was very refreshing. The art,the animation...the authentic Chinese...it's nice to see different things.

I expected people to whine about the art but still lol......

since it isn't a 5cen./garden of words explosion of art i guess it's labled as **it lol.

Nidhoeggr said:
sayami said:
I felt it was so short, I enjoyed every second of it. The animation was exellent.
China is already one of my favourite characters of this season. ^^

It's so refreshing to have the characters speak more than one language. China is very intriguing.

indeed. i loved it.

Mayuka said:

Yeah. The mandarin is fabulously done coming from a Chinese person myself LOL unlike the one from Diamond no Ace omg

being chinese has very little to do with it. i can tell because i have watch quite a few chinese films (and no, not all of them have to do with martial arts).
---------
well that took...2yrs to watch lol.

glad to see i'm finally coming round to this, disappointed that it's only 11 eps ://////////////////

a chinese citizen inside an anime, speaking authentic, wonderful chinese (well, mandarin)? awesoooome, i'll take it.

the animation is wonderful and the art is a fine line of simplistic and complex. it must have been hard to animate without going overboard and making them look like anime characters, which, in all due respects, they don't. they almost look real. i looked closely at the eyes and even then they didn't give it away.

"Ping Pong the Animation" it correct, it's more of an animation than an anime with its distinctive traits.

the ED is wonderful and nice visuals. i always promise myself to wait until the end of the anime to listen to the OST in full, but i couldn't contain myself, it's literally irresistible; i listened to it at least 4 times. the lyrics are great and this is the only song i have dedicated to knowing all of them. the episode felt rather long, but that's good. i've always wanted to know if an anime could reach an hour one day.
TomDayJun 20, 2016 8:36 AM
Jun 19, 2016 12:18 AM

Jul 2012
TomDay said:

Mayuka said:

Yeah. The mandarin is fabulously done coming from a Chinese person myself LOL unlike the one from Diamond no Ace omg

being chinese has very little to do with it. i can tell because i have watch quite a few chinese films (and no, not all of them have to do with martial arts).

???????????????

I meant the pronunciation but ok
Jun 19, 2016 11:52 AM

Feb 2015
Mayuka said:

???????????????

yeah i know you meant that...what else would i think lol
Jun 20, 2016 6:52 AM

Jul 2012
TomDay said:
Mayuka said:

???????????????

yeah i know you meant that...what else would i think lol
if you have the ability to speak the language and you're surrounded by people who speak it daily, you have a better understanding of what sounds correct in an anime or not
Jun 20, 2016 8:41 AM

Feb 2015
Mayuka said:
if you have the ability to speak the language and you're surrounded by people who speak it daily, you have a better understanding of what sounds correct in an anime or not

that doesn't necessarily mean that anyone else who doesn't live in china doesn't know the correct pronunciation. my father's friend knows mandarin and one of his sons come from china and he's barely even left american ground.

that's like saying no-one can judge a british accent unless they come from the UK, lol.
Jun 21, 2016 7:30 AM

Jul 2012
TomDay said:
Mayuka said:

that doesn't necessarily mean that anyone else who doesn't live in china doesn't know the correct pronunciation. my father's friend knows mandarin and one of his sons come from china and he's barely even left american ground.

that's like saying no-one can judge a british accent unless they come from the UK, lol.
no, i'm saying, if you speak it regularly and listen to people speak it, then you have an ability to judge it

i don't live in china either
Jun 21, 2016 9:48 AM

Feb 2015
Mayuka said:
no, i'm saying, if you speak it regularly and listen to people speak it, then you have an ability to judge it

i never denied this either. i just said that you can also judge on different circumstances as well. truce? lol

i don't live in china either

my apologies.
Nov 7, 2016 11:12 AM

Mar 2016
Gave me an OPM vibe.
Feb 5, 2017 12:25 AM

Oct 2012
Actual chinese dub
Surprisingly it's pretty good voice acting

Oh wow, I'm interested now

They're recycling scenes for OP though, budget problem? xD
"Signature removed"
May 4, 2017 1:51 AM

May 2016
The animation reminds me of Mob Psycho's fluidity but with weirder art. It's a surprise that I enjoyed watching the sport more than I expected to.

I'm impressed that the Chinese people in here actually speak Mandarin~ The Engrish is hilariously bad tho xD

Jul 28, 2017 10:55 PM

Dec 2016
I actually really like the art style of this show and also I hope China becomes some sort of friend, or friendly rival, and doesn't become a dickhead villain
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 6, 2017 1:39 PM

Jun 2013
I expected this to be just weird and interesting to look at, but it was actually fun. I really dig the timing on the players' movements, and the fluidity is very satisfying. The backgrounds are totally my aesthetic, too. The music is great. Smile and the two Chinese guys are kind of interesting. This was a very pleasant surprise.
Oct 16, 2017 7:03 AM

Apr 2015
Yuasa's unique style of directing seems to be doing something for this ugly ping pong story that I probably would have never tried if it were by anyone else.

The cocky kid got defeated by the Chinese student...that was probably a snap back to reality that he needed. I like "Four-Eyes" more and think he probably has a lot of natural talent on the court that he's holding back from exposing.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 10, 2018 2:24 AM

Nov 2012
The art here definitely isn't my style, but I can see the amount of love and craft that went into it. It's so fluid I spent the first few minutes trying to figure out if it was rotoscoped or not. I'm also with @Straw-Hat-Matt on just loving seeing something so different.
Mar 24, 2018 11:10 PM
Jan 2018
Shrimpy joes in new Boston Ohio has finally opened back and I couldn’t be happier! If anyone is looking for a delicious spaghetti dinner come on down! 🍤🍝
May 26, 2018 10:43 AM

Feb 2018
Man, that was awesome! Looks really, really promising.
Aug 13, 2018 1:38 PM

Feb 2015
Main character doesn't seem to give a crap, so I don't see why I, as watcher, should either. Dropped.
Oct 27, 2018 8:37 PM

Sep 2016
The first half is kinda boring, but it's starting to get interesting when the Chinese player showed up.
He's quite straightforward, isn't he? And he really should be grateful to have such a good interpreter/coach with high EQ. I laughed hard at his interpretation, cuz the time difference between China and Japan is like 1 hour.
And yes, it's so rare and nice to have the Chinese VA act the Chinese characters.

Hoshino is kinda cute when he tried to say "NI HAO".
Tsukimoto is so not my cup of tea. Maybe I'm not fond of people with very few words.

Not a fan of the art style at all, but I can put up with it if there're great plots & character developments. So that's not a big deal. The animations are very fluid tho.
Apr 16, 2019 8:09 AM
Jul 2018
I love that they have used chinese actors to do the acting instead of all japanese cast

The show has caught my atention
Oct 20, 2019 4:33 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow this is pretty interesting for the moment, art style is very unique and it was captivating.
Jan 3, 2020 1:04 AM

Jan 2018
This thread is legitimately painful to skim through.

ART =/= ANIMATION!

Holy fucking shit, dude. I know hardly anyone will read this but man, I just had to get that off my chest. >_>

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jan 8, 2020 2:16 PM
Jul 2013
I come to this title with high expectations(Yuasa, Tatami Galaxy), hopefully it's about more than just ping pong. Looks like it's off to a good start. I like how the animation is consciously bad while absolutely fluid in crucial moments. Voice acting is on point, glad they decided to stick with Chinese.
Mar 10, 2020 7:19 AM

May 2018
The animation makes me SCHWING
Apr 20, 2020 5:57 PM

Apr 2016
Wow this looks to be incredible. I'm not really a fan of table tennis but when I see how this anime conveys the sport I can't help but to be stoked.

So Glasses-kun has been holding back, but for what reason? I'm interested to see his true level of playing.
Sep 4, 2020 4:34 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I am smiled. Its not because the boy called Smile being a complete bore boy that somehow amazed the other strange weird boy with his chop. Its because how great Yuasa direct every detailed that happened within every hit. Its not just a hit and run away like chicken. Its hit and attached in a nice way on my heart with Yuasa's amazing direction. I am satisfied. Eventhough the music kinda average, on my average hearing, everything just smooth, and really unique in the name of Yuasa's antic.

The first episode and my first impression on it was okay that keep me believe and motivated to watched the others episode with highly anticipation. Oh, well. Its so unique and innovated. Its just your daily Yuasa routines of watch. Because this is just another level of animation, without telling you in a good or bad terms, just enjoyed this at your everyday. Thats it. Thank you very much, Yuasa.

For the story wise, i tell a short sum up. Its no shocked when Smile suddenly satisfied that Chinese. Because he just reflected himself as Peco and couldn't compare himself with that no smile boy. So, yeah, he found the reason of why he lost and be dumped at all of his previous time. A tremendous and solid episode concluded everything, in my point of view.
badabassSep 4, 2020 4:41 AM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 3, 2020 4:14 PM

Sep 2017
Damn I've heard great things about this anime and I can already see why. Really excited to see how these characters will develop.
Oct 14, 2020 8:22 PM
May 2020
ringo-no-tamashi said:
Not bad, seems interesting so far. Not a big fan of the sloppy animation, though.

Same dude. Never liked that animation. But it doesn’t mean that it’s that bad. It’s a really good show.
Nov 4, 2020 4:04 PM

Jan 2013
MathValim said:
I love that they have used chinese actors to do the acting instead of all japanese cast

Yeah not a lot of shows do that, especially not the amount of Chinese dialogue we got.
At most we'd get a few lines until they magically learned to speak Japanese for the rest of the show or like you said, just use a Japanese VA.

First episode is alright, art is ... unique and I liked the animation, I'm sure we can expect some crazy shots when "Smile" is putting up a fight vs Wenge or anyone really.
Jan 12, 2021 1:00 AM

May 2020
Wow this is freaking amazing, I hate the artstyle but f that. This is top tier already
Feb 18, 2021 4:27 PM
Apr 2016
Having seen as much anime as I have, it's so refreshing to watch something with an artstyle this unique; I'm in love with it! Never seen one this strange but simultaneously expressive. In general, this show's looking really good! However, that's only the expected reaction.. I've been saving this meal for years after all.
blankFeb 18, 2021 4:30 PM
Jul 7, 2021 8:03 AM

Dec 2020
lmao, china roasted the shit out of peco
La_nJul 7, 2021 8:18 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 15, 2021 11:07 AM

Mar 2017
Wow, that was better than I expected, even I have zero interest in ping-pong it was a spectacular first episode.
Nov 6, 2021 4:40 PM
Feb 2016
Already loving the animation, direction and OST. The characters introduced were also interesting. The art style will take a bit more to get used to by I really appreciate it. Also, really cool that the Chinese guy actually speaks Mandarin and not just Japanese with an accent or something like that.

I can see a lot of love and effort put into this already.

5/5
Jan 20, 2022 9:42 PM

Mar 2021
I really gotta commend this show for including Mandarin, something that I'm sure a lot of shows would just forgo.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Jan 25, 2022 4:09 AM

Jan 2021
A good start. I was a little confuse with names at first but it seems like they have nicknames for each other.

I usually love psychological animes so lets see how this one plays out!
Feb 18, 2022 12:53 PM

Jul 2016
Peco is so cocky. I'm honestly surprised no one has punched him yet.
Feb 23, 2022 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
Refreshing animation and intense first episode. Wow this is good! Grateful it was recommended, I've been missing out on this.
Mar 21, 2022 12:23 PM
Nov 2020
Animation has never really bothered me so so far i really like this
May 1, 2022 12:22 PM
Mar 2015
I did really liked this first episode, I do understand why a lot of people think that it's a bad animation but if you have watched other works that Yuasa, Masaaki has directed you can be sure that it's gonna be at least a descent anime. I do not have any clue about what will happen because I have not read the manga but I trust that Masaaki Yuasa chose the right manga.
Jun 19, 2022 3:05 AM

Dec 2010
Bro, this **** is good!
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

396 by jas-samaaa »»
May 18, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2014

140 by SHS13 »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.