Forum Settings
Forums

Why are the Japanese so bad at live action but good at anime?

New
Jul 3, 2016 11:28 AM
Feb 2015
20th Century Boys manga-masterpiece
20th Century Boys live action-shit

Gantz manga-good
Gantz anime-decent
Gantz live action-shit

Attack on Titan anime-great
Attack on Titan live action-wut

Parasyte anime-great
Parasyte live action-shit

Rurouni Kenshin anime (especially trust and betrayal)-great
Rurouni Kenshin live action-meh

Death Note anime-great
Death Note live action-meh

Wolf Brigade live action movies-has anyone even watched them?
Wolf Brigade anime-great

Perfect Blue was originally going to be a live action movie, but they decided to go the route of animation because believe it or not they had a budget issue, same thing goes for Wolf Brigade, which is actually the third installment of a live action movie trilogy but done in animation because of budget restraints. If these movies had been done with real actors I doubt anyone would be talking about them today.

Why are the Japanese so ass at live action but their anime is some of the most genius storytelling in history?

Why is there such a bridge in quality between mediums? Are anime studios just more intelligent than live action directors in that country? The only live action adaption I've seen from Japan that was worthy as an adaption was Battle Royal, but I'm sure an anime version would have been at least 10x better still.

And its not just anime adpations, its also just their live action stuff in general. Godzilla movies are fun, but they are pretty bad at the same time when the monsters aren't on screen.
KrystopherJul 3, 2016 11:59 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2016 11:33 AM

Nov 2015
Pretty much all Japanese live action stuff is shit. Including J-Drama.
This probably has to do with the fact that the dramatic and theatrical conventions haven't evolved as much as it has in the east, or their conventions have evolved differently.
Probably the latter, we're just not used to it.
Gesu-Jul 3, 2016 8:23 PM
Jul 3, 2016 11:41 AM

Jun 2008
Gesu- said:

Thank god somebody said it!

My god, I thought American soaps were horrible....try sitting through the cringe fest that is J-Drama!

On Topic: Unlike Hollywood that has an insane amount of money and an arsenal of insanely talented actors....Japan has neither and instead of trying to reach a WORLD WIDE audience, they stay local and very niche.

The end result is what we see....very low quality.

Animation is easier to pull off....less money, and I'm sorry but voice acting is a LOT easier than real life acting....so yeah...
Jul 3, 2016 11:45 AM

Aug 2015
They don't have a big budget and the special effects are bad as fuck..
Jul 3, 2016 11:51 AM

Oct 2010
Things:

1. Perfect Blue has a live action version. It adapts the original novel in a different way (apparently more close to the text). Not very good, though, but worth as a curiosity I guess.
2. If you mean only anime/manga/VN adaptations then ok, because the film industry of Japan is far wider than this, and far more prestigious than you are taking into account here.
3. Obligatory "Usagi Drop by Sabu is actually great" reminder.
Jul 3, 2016 11:53 AM

Mar 2016
Because it's difficult to transfer some animestuff into RL?
Anime follows its own rules and physics. So don't expect them to fit into a realistic environment. Especially when it comes to sci-fi, fantasy, mecha and stuff like that. It becomes automatically cringeworthy/bad/terrible.
Jul 3, 2016 12:21 PM

Mar 2014
They're not necessarily "bad" at live action

It depends a lot on what kinds of movies/TV series you're watching (e.g. if you compare the acting caliber in a movie like Departures to the one in the Shitneki no Kyojin movies then you'll probably notice there's a pretty big difference between the two)

With that being said there are people who think the Japanese movie industry has fallen behind so maybe that statement does contain a grain of truth

I personally prefer South Korean cinema but that's just me
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 3, 2016 12:29 PM

Mar 2014
kamisama751 said:
I prefer Kurosawa Akira over anything regarding live action. :3
Haven't seen any Kurosawa movies yet so I can't comment on that
By the way, do you want the special tag over the avatar too? xD
What tag?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 3, 2016 12:34 PM

Dec 2015
1. You claim live-action movies made in Japan are bad but you illustrate your sayings with comics adaptations?
2. Battle Royal was not an adaptation of a manga, but of a novel.

The Twilight Samurai / Tasogare Seibe was a great japanese costumed movie I saw a few years ago.
The Kurosawa adaptations of Shakespeare are interesting.

Another well regarded japanese director is Ôshima, he made Ai no Corida and Ai no Borei (the first tone triggered reactions from offensed people in the world). Furyô is one of my favourite WW2 "camp" movies.
Have you ever see any film of Kitano Takeshi? (I mean, the ones he directed like Hanabi)

Of course, there are also other great movies (japanese cinema has been influenced but has in return influenced western cinema).

edit: Shurayuki-hime / Lady Snowblood could interest you. It is bloody but has a bit more than that. I am talking about the 1973 movie.
Rei_IIIJul 3, 2016 12:49 PM

Mar 2014
kamisama751 said:
The VIP Elitist tag.
Sure fam, next time I change my avatar I'll let you know
I recommend you to check some of his movies out. For example:
Seven Samurais
Ran
Rashomon
Noice

I recommend Park-Chan wook's vengeance triology
Nico- said:

Sep 2015
They probably should just stick with adapting sol anime
Jul 3, 2016 12:37 PM

Mar 2016
Well, there is Takashi Miike, he does movies as weird or even weirder than you'll find in weird anime.

He did an adaptation of Ichi the Killer, for example.
Jul 3, 2016 12:46 PM

Feb 2016
because anime are too out of ordinary to be adapted in RL dimension? (effects, reactions and so on...) Some things only looks good as 2D. Beside, people already cringe at CGI animes so...
Then again, the producers will get harsh critics if the live action dont stay faithfull to the original material

And before live action trash, look back at hollywood's dragon ball. Speaking of Death note, they're planning to make their own live action. Let's see which one is better: japan's death note 2016 (new plot: 10 years after X's death (idk how to put spoiler) with a good actor line up. Only the teaser is out) and hollywood's version of death note
Jul 3, 2016 12:55 PM

Dec 2015
@longshot100 To be fair, you should compare Dragon Ball Evolution with Dragon Ball. Hollywood adapted the manga, it never used the later part of it who became Z.
Jul 3, 2016 1:02 PM

Jul 2014
Sorry dude but I think you're watching the wrong movies. Some of the best films I have ever seen are from the land of the rising sun. Check out Confessions, which is probably the best film of the current decade thus far and Kurosawa's movies, which are among the all time greats.

Comic_Sans said:

I recommend Park-Chan wook's vengeance triology

Oldboy was amazeballz.
Take care of yourself

Jul 3, 2016 1:08 PM
May 2015
JustALEX said:
Gesu- said:

Thank god somebody said it!

My god, I thought American soaps were horrible....try sitting through the cringe fest that is J-Drama!

On Topic: Unlike Hollywood that has an insane amount of money and an arsenal of insanely talented actors....Japan has neither and instead of trying to reach a WORLD WIDE audience, they stay local and very niche.

The end result is what we see....very low quality.

Animation is easier to pull off....less money, and I'm sorry but voice acting is a LOT easier than real life acting....so yeah...
I think everyone here agrees that J-Drama is top-tier shit. I tried watching one episode of some J-Drama that my friend recommended me and I couldn't watch the next episode. Hell, it was a miracle I made it through one episode. Their acting is so bad and so exaggerated as fuck. Some dramatic moments were completely unnecessary and it was just there to try and stir the audience's feelings.

@Gesu-
Yea, I don't think so. I've watched a couple of Japanese live-action films myself like Battle Royale or The Grudge and they're pretty good. The acting may be weird but calling all Japanese live-action stuff "shit" is wrong.

Jul 3, 2016 1:10 PM

Mar 2013
Maybe if you stop glorifying manga and anime that much as the greatest form of japanese storytelling expression and try to watch some original films you may find out how wrong you are.

What they lack in special effects they make up for in plot and characterization. Two of the greatest movies I saw in my life, Shinji Aoyama's Eureka and Tetsuya Nakashima's Confessions, were japanese live action. They both have some of the strongest acting I've seen in any film, and Eureka is in fact my all-time second favorite movie.
GnkJul 3, 2016 1:14 PM
Jul 3, 2016 1:15 PM
Jul 2009
your experience with japanese live-action is watching adaptations of b-tier anime

it's like if the only video game you ever played was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES and you didn't get why they were so popular
FMA:B OUTDATED noot KIMI NO NA WA OVERRATED noot LONG HAVE WE WAITED noot PINGU IN THE CITY WAS CREATED noot
Jul 3, 2016 1:25 PM

Oct 2014
Well that might be because Mangas are not Adapt friendly when it goes about movies.

But the same can also be said about the western ones, I mean just look at The Last airbender and Dragonball evolution...............

Plus Video games have it even worse and the best ones are just not bad (like The Warcraft movie for example)
Jul 3, 2016 1:32 PM

Mar 2014
razortongue said:
Oldboy was amazeballz.
Well there IS a reason why some people call him "Park-Chan God"
Nico- said:
Jul 3, 2016 2:11 PM

Dec 2013
I had to laugh at the mention of jdramas. I don't know whether their dialogic awkwardness is derived from cultural influences or an evolutionary stagnant acting tradition that worships at the altar of exaggeration, but I do know that no one communicates like that lol. Many of the classic films I've seen, which feature actors and directors of notoriety, aren't nearly as egregious in this area. IMO anime has a way of dampening some of the quirky idiosyncrasies and melodrama of live action. I loved Hana Yori Dango's anime adaption, but my GOD the jdrama....The only good jdramas I've seen usually feature Takuya Kimura - Pride, Beautiful Life, Long Vacation, etc. Much more organic than most Asian drama.
Jul 3, 2016 4:50 PM

Jul 2013
Because Japanese actors (not voice actors) lack real experience compared to Keanu Reeves, Jackie Chan or even Sandra Bullock. It's a shame that Japanese live-action movies so far are going still the way of Batman Forever in terms of bad acting and cheesiness. I thought the Lupin live-action movie was gonna rock somewhat and somehow, but it's just typical, live-action trash and an insult to Lupin fans.
Jul 3, 2016 6:06 PM

Jun 2008
kamisama751 said:
Comic_Sans said:
Haven't seen any Kurosawa movies yet so I can't comment on that
What tag?

The VIP Elitist tag.

@Comic_Sans please don't go to the dark side!
Jul 3, 2016 6:25 PM

Jul 2014
The thing is Japan likes to adapt something that would only work in anime/manga.
when they do, it become a cringefest story with a bunch of cosplayers as actors.
There are good live action though,
-crow zero
-Rurouni Kenshin
-confession
-Hanzawa Naoki -etc-
Jul 3, 2016 6:31 PM

Aug 2013
Maybe because they try to make it too anime-ish. I mean, live action films are a different media and you can't pretend to do it the same way as anime. That's why a lot of faces or acting look really cringey. That's what it looks like to me though.
Also I think 20th Century Boys LA wasn't THAT bad. I really liked Kanna Endou for example. The guy that played Kenji did a decent performance too. They are not great films but at least they are kinda watchable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2016 6:32 PM

Jan 2015
they exagerate when acting, like with facial expressions and such, there are some good actors but they're few, I hate to admit it but they fail to translate anime into live actions, not even in J-drama, the expressions and reactions look just so fake, sorry to say that -_- I'm only talking about a part of it but not all, there are some good actors but too nad we don't see them that much!
Jul 3, 2016 6:37 PM

Nov 2014
Why are Americans so good at live action and shit at anime?

Jul 3, 2016 7:25 PM

Jun 2008
ExTemplar said:
Why are Americans so good at live action and shit at anime?

Huh, Americans are good at anime too!

Pls watch Cory in the House.
Jul 3, 2016 7:35 PM

Aug 2008
Most anime are unrealistic and over the top and when become live action, it just didn't do well and feel cringe.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jul 3, 2016 7:38 PM

Jan 2008
Zapredon said:
Most anime are unrealistic and over the top and when become live action, it just didn't do well and feel cringe.

Do anime voice actors even do live action films often. if ever?
Jul 3, 2016 7:40 PM
Feb 2014
Zapredon said:

This. You can't go this high when the parameters are set for pure fantasy.
Jul 3, 2016 7:42 PM

Dec 2012
Because they don't need to make their own live action entertainment when they can just import ours. And also this:

Zapredon said:

Aime set the bar too high and live action can't jump it.

Anyhow, I disagree with the assertion that that 20th Century Boys, Gantz, Death Note, and Rurouni Kenshin live action movies are bad/meh. I enjoyed them. In Gantz's case I actually hate the anime and found the live-action version to be surprisingly watchable.
KruszerSep 27, 2018 7:58 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jul 3, 2016 8:10 PM
Sep 2013
You should watch more normal movie then.
Jul 3, 2016 8:17 PM
Sep 2013
I recommend
kirishima bukatsu yamerutteyo
Jul 4, 2016 1:05 AM

Mar 2014
JustALEX said:
kamisama751 said:

The VIP Elitist tag.

@Comic_Sans please don't go to the dark side!
But I wanna piss people off huehuehue
Nico- said:
Jul 4, 2016 3:02 AM

Sep 2015
Seems to me, most of the items you are complaining are the live-action adaptation of anime and that will be automatically bound to be a sub par. They are originally anime and we fully aware of this, so a certain degree of bias will therefore be formed if it get adapted into another medium—moreover if we really like this original one—it's just inevitable. But taking that part aside, they are anime and sometimes, there is something that can only or exclusively be done well in animation form and hard to recreate them in live-action with all its limitation. Adapting them into live action is just counter-productive, just my opinion.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jul 4, 2016 3:52 AM

Jan 2015
Always thought one of it is the milk problem. Mostly, japanese production comitte can't hold themselves for not fappin' their own shit without realized they can't/have capability for producing a fine one, that can match the original. bet their west counterpart just share the same story.
But u can still broaden ur by watch non LA movies, assuming not all of their released stuff are anime-based to begin with

la critique de l'intention pure
Jul 4, 2016 3:58 AM

Dec 2014
Prison School live action is good, i think...

Hana was beautiful, also Chiyo....
Mari looks constipated, everytime i see her... :(
Jul 4, 2016 4:16 AM

Dec 2015
Depends. I haven't seen any anime adaptations yet but Audition by Takashi Miike is my all time favorite movie. I guess their movie industry is good unless they adapt a manga or anime.
Jul 4, 2016 4:29 AM

Apr 2010
Cause you are used to see them as anime. Try take story which didn't start his way as anime or manga, amd see if you like it. Unfortunately the only anime which isn't kodomo i can think of whwhich fits this is les miserables

Jul 4, 2016 4:50 AM

Aug 2015
I agree that the Japanese have made a few rather disappointing live action adaptions of anime, but I disagree that Japanese film making in general is "shit." It's like saying American film makers are shit because they've made a few god awful video game adaptions.

If you don't mind looking back in time a bit, the golden age of Japanese film making was probably from the early 1950's to the early 1960's. Pretty much no film created by the likes of Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizoguchi, Kinoshita, or Kobayashi (I'd even throw Ishiro Honda in there) can be considered a bad film. Jump forward to the late 60's and 70's were a combination of the rise of TV popularity and economic crisis led to a lot less money for movie production.

As a fan of Godzilla movies, its interesting to look at Godzilla movies from 1954 through 2004. You can really see the tangible evolution of both Japanese film making and Godzilla himself as the years roll on. In fact it may be a perfect example to show this evolution as there was usually a new release every year or every other year.

As others have also stated, the Japanese frankly don't give a damn about producing media that outsiders enjoy. They are all about pleasing the domestic audience. Honestly, I enjoy that about the Japanese. If I want something different and honest to its roots, I know where to look. Western media on the other hand has become so bland and washed out in recent years in an effort to become palatable to every person on the planet, that in some instances, they can't catch my interest.

So Japan, just keep being Japan and do what you do best.
"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

-Asano Naganori
Jul 4, 2016 5:11 AM

Oct 2013
For the same reason Americans are good with movies but most of the cartoons suck
Jul 4, 2016 5:13 AM

Jun 2014
You listed a bunch of anime adaptations (except for Jin Roh, which was a live action turned into anime). Your statement of Japanese live action films being shit is, quite frankly, stupid.

While I understand how many films that require SFX look terrible because of generally much lower budgets than Hollywood/Hong Kong/etc cinema. I watched many Godzilla films as a kid (and still rewatch some today) and yeah, the special effects are pretty dumb. Another issue lies the the acting abilities of the cast. Not many quite have the expertise of highly regarded pros like Judi Dench, Morgan Freeman, etc. So a lot of films get pretty campy.

But you ignore many great films. Kurosawa is regarded as one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, period. He has an excellent filmography (Seven Samurai, Ran, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood among others). Takashi Miike also has some really good flicks under his belt, like Ichi the Killer, 13 Assassins and Audition. And isn't J-Horror generally regarded as being far better than a lot of Hollywood competition?
Jul 4, 2016 5:16 AM

Aug 2013
Dunno. Why don't you go ask 'em? Maybe give them some advice since you know so much.
Jul 4, 2016 5:45 AM

Aug 2015
DerpCat said:
You listed a bunch of anime adaptations (except for Jin Roh, which was a live action turned into anime). Your statement of Japanese live action films being shit is, quite frankly, stupid.

While I understand how many films that require SFX look terrible because of generally much lower budgets than Hollywood/Hong Kong/etc cinema. I watched many Godzilla films as a kid (and still rewatch some today) and yeah, the special effects are pretty dumb. Another issue lies the the acting abilities of the cast. Not many quite have the expertise of highly regarded pros like Judi Dench, Morgan Freeman, etc. So a lot of films get pretty campy.

But you ignore many great films. Kurosawa is regarded as one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, period. He has an excellent filmography (Seven Samurai, Ran, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood among others). Takashi Miike also has some really good flicks under his belt, like Ichi the Killer, 13 Assassins and Audition. And isn't J-Horror generally regarded as being far better than a lot of Hollywood competition?

Yes! I forgot about Miike. He is a master of many genres. He can do period movies like 13 Assassins or Harakiri (a remake of a Kobayashi film), or horror like Audition and Ichi the Killer, and the HILARIOUS Happiness of the Katakuris. You are also correct about J-Horror, they are usually superb and often emulated and copied.

Oh, in regarding film adaptions of anime series, I didn't dislike Space Battleship Yamato. I thought it was decent.
"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

-Asano Naganori
Jul 4, 2016 5:47 AM

Oct 2012
Best japanese drama I've watched:
Ties of Shooting Stars (流星の絆)
Close the world, ƚxƎn ɘʜƚ nɘqO.

Sep 24, 2018 12:17 PM
Sep 2018
Maybe too late on this forum, and this is my first comment.

I want to say that saying the Japanese film industry has always been bad is straight out wrong, since you ignore the existence of the likes of Seven Samurai. Like a person here said, Japan's golden age of filmmaking was during the 50s to the 60s, those films were on the level of the great Hollywood films of that era.

However, if you say Japanese movies in these years or even post-2000 have been bad, then your opinion is not exactly wrong. Japan's film industry has been downgrading for years.
Even those who work in the said industry have criticized on it:
http://aramajapan.com/news/furukawa-yuki-criticizes-japanese-film-and-television-industries-in-interview-with-the-hollywood-reporter/51495/
https://www.tokyoweekender.com/2016/12/hirokazu-koreeda-on-the-problem-with-japanese-cinema/

The most prominent issue in Japanese filmmaking is the lack of originality and creativity, and the problem is as bad, or even worse, as the problem Hollywood has suffered. How many films in Japan were adaptations of existing source materials such as manga, novels, and TV series in the past few years? and how many more will come?

Confessions, an adaptation of a book that's better than the film
Battle Royale, the book is way better, and the film's sequel is bad.
Our Little Sister, an adaptation of a manga
Miracles of the Namiya General Store, originally a book
These, however, are good adaptations.

There have been for more failed adaptations made by the Rising Sun, most being anime/manga adaptations. Even the once-acclaimed director Takashi Miike has been criticized by the general Japanese audiences as a bad director who focuses too much on manga adaptations and creates 12 manga-adapted movies, 5 novel-adapted movies, 2 game adaptations, 2 remakes of classic films.

"the problem is that producers and distribution companies have even less desire than before to export content globally. After all, why gamble on a young filmmaker with an original idea when you can invest in a live-action adaptation of a well-known manga story or novel?" (Hirokazu Koreeda On The Problem With Japanese Cinema)

While adapting existing media isn't a bad thing, but it does reflect a huge trait in a country's own film industry.

The next problem is the scale of Japanese live-action movies. Recent Japanese movies that are critically acclaimed mostly share one trait: its small-scale setting and cast. Family drama has been one of, if not the primary, overused theme in Japanese live-action film, and the above claim is the main reason for this phenomena. This itself, also, isn't necessarily bad, but it does limit how far Japanese movies can go. You have rarely seen Japanese live-action movies that are comparable to the likes of the MCU, Mission Impossible, Lord of the Ring, Star Wars, Game of Throne (Its being a TV show shows how tiny Japanese film industry is.) in terms of scale. Even many US TV shows that are good have a wider scale and larger casts. Japanese film industry is, essentially, locked by its own trait.

There are other issues to be addressed, but I'll leave it here at first.
What're your thoughts?
Sep 24, 2018 12:20 PM

Apr 2013
The production value is certainly low, they don't put a lot of money in movies like USA or Sk does.
Now even with that you can find live action series that are damn fine, like that adaptation of Tantei no Tantei for example, I liked that one.
Sep 24, 2018 12:34 PM

Oct 2013
Anime/manga has a lot of things that are harder to translate into live action.

Plus japanese actors tend to exaggerate/overly imitate the character they play from the material.

I think it would work if they make the films less anime/manga-like and let the actors act naturally.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » is there less demand for ecchi, hentai, sexual fanservice this days?

deg - 8 hours ago

31 by TransferUser »»
2 minutes ago

» Would you sacrifice your favorite anime in exchange for that your waifu will become real?

Spunkert - 47 minutes ago

9 by Icymatika »»
11 minutes ago

» If you lived in the world of your favorite series, would you be happier or not?

Shizuna - Yesterday

22 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
15 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

731 by UberBat »»
22 minutes ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 3 )

Cestlavie_ - Yesterday

139 by DigiCat »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.