Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

New
Pages (114) « First ... « 103 104 [105] 106 107 » ... Last »
Jun 24, 2019 8:33 AM

May 2018
Yesterday I started reading a book about D&D, because my friend really wants to play RPG with someone. Didn't read much of it, but I think I'm going to like, but I woud prefer a theme that wasn't medieval, probably would like more of something steampunk or mythological.
Jun 24, 2019 9:30 AM

Dec 2018
I'm reading Sophie's World, i'm making up my mind real hard whether it's just pretentious or a true brilliant piece of art, prolly i'll b clear by the end of it..

ChocoleitoDisuco said:
started reading The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevskij just yesterday. he will never be disappointing nor boring. he captures my attention by simply two connected words.
i was also reading that n was just gonna type that damn it.
. . .
Jun 24, 2019 9:40 AM

Dec 2016
currently attempting to push through the brothers karamazov, but it's proving a challenge. dostoy's a great writer, but his sentences are so fucking long.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jun 24, 2019 11:28 AM

Dec 2018
Preachee said:
I'm reading Sophie's World, i'm making up my mind real hard whether it's just pretentious or a true brilliant piece of art, prolly i'll b clear by the end of it..

ChocoleitoDisuco said:
started reading The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevskij just yesterday. he will never be disappointing nor boring. he captures my attention by simply two connected words.

seems like masterpieces pass from one hand to another. I'm really loving it. hope you're doing so. it deserves the best.

photophobic said:
currently attempting to push through the brothers karamazov, but it's proving a challenge. dostoy's a great writer, but his sentences are so fucking long.

dostoevskij is not that simple to catch at first. I would recommend some uphill road for experiencing him the best. maybe starting from simplier novels, such as the White Nights, would be the best. even though it may seem short and dried in contents, but you'll start enjoying his original and unique writing step by step. you'll get used to, I dunno, his long and complex period syntax, finding sometimes amusement and charm in such a thing, maybe by reading some not-that-complex-to-read novel, such as The Idiot or Crime and Punishment. The Brothers is pretty manifold: I find it intricate like War and Peace, but they're worth more tries. if you feel uncomfortable or unprepared, just drop it. give it a chance sometime else. that's what I did a few years ago. that's the deal when treating with russian literature. such a monument.
Jun 24, 2019 11:37 AM

Aug 2012
ChocoleitoDisuco said:

dostoevskij is not that simple to catch at first. I would recommend some uphill road for experiencing him the best. maybe starting from simplier novels, such as the White Nights, would be the best. even though it may seem short and dried in contents, but you'll start enjoying his original and unique writing step by step. you'll get used to, I dunno, his long and complex period syntax, finding sometimes amusement and charm in such a thing, maybe by reading some not-that-complex-to-read novel, such as The Idiot or Crime and Punishment. The Brothers is pretty manifold: I find it intricate like War and Peace, but they're worth more tries. if you feel uncomfortable or unprepared, just drop it. give it a chance sometime else. that's what I did a few years ago. that's the deal when treating with russian literature. such a monument.

It only took me 5 pages of Crime & Punishment for me to drop it because, half of the sentences were just too full for me. This also repeated itself with Tractatus. I read it a few years ago and immediately dropped it; it was too high level. Now, however, I am currently reading the Tractatus. So I can vouch for giving yourself sometime to accommodate to the writing/thinking style of the said text. I should give C&P or Brothers Karamazov a try, but I'd need huge commitment.
Jun 24, 2019 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
Reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde again until I get my copy of No Longer Human by Dazai Osamu.
Jun 24, 2019 1:26 PM

May 2018
Savasvania said:
I get my copy of No Longer Human by Dazai Osamu.

Ohh I think I've heard of this book and the author before, what is it about? Does he have any other famous books?
Jun 24, 2019 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
ParabellumGalaxy said:
Savasvania said:
I get my copy of No Longer Human by Dazai Osamu.

Ohh I think I've heard of this book and the author before, what is it about? Does he have any other famous books?

"No Longer Human is told in the form of notebooks left by one Ōba Yōzō (大庭葉蔵), a troubled man incapable of revealing his true self to others, and who is instead forced to uphold a facade of hollow jocularity." Says a wiki. I know what the general story is but I haven't read anything by Dazai myself yet.

You probably have heard of his name since he is a character in the anime Bungou Stray Dogs, along with many other great authors.

Run Melos and The Setting Sun seem to be his other most famous works.
Jun 24, 2019 4:51 PM

Aug 2018
Savasvania said:
Reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde again until I get my copy of No Longer Human by Dazai Osamu.

@ParabellumGalaxy If anything I say below sounds remotely interesting to you, than I highly recommend you check this book out.

I love the manga for No Longer Human, which made me want to read the book for comparison. When I finished it, it gave me a lot to think about when it came to depression, suicide, and just life in general. It honestly feels like you're reading an autobiography than anything else. It brilliantly shows how social anxiety can bring somebody down to their knees when at its worst. Fantastic characters and an all-around intense read.
FrankyPJun 24, 2019 4:56 PM
Jun 24, 2019 5:45 PM

May 2018
FrankyP said:
Savasvania said:

@ParabellumGalaxy If anything I say below sounds remotely interesting to you, than I highly recommend you check this book out.

I'll definitely give it a go while I'm on vacation, thanks
Jun 24, 2019 8:55 PM

Mar 2011
Reading a book called Our People and Our History by R. L. Desdunes. Its interesting for a historical piece
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Jun 24, 2019 10:03 PM

Dec 2018
ChocoleitoDisuco said:
Preachee said:

seems like masterpieces pass from one hand to another. I'm really loving it. hope you're doing so. it deserves the best.

Thanks, I'm loving it, Dostoevski is a humanity gem.
. . .
Jun 25, 2019 2:19 AM

Oct 2015
Silvr1010 said:
I'm reading the Summa Theologica but I often use it situationally when it comes to apologetics aswell as just general study.

I'm also reading a book on economics which outlines a corporatist society but it's kind of been on the back-burner

Sorry I was wondering if you're reading it to reinforce your beliefs and have more ammunition in a debate like Aquinas intended or to better understand the opposition and their reasoning. Maybe it's my personal experience but I see more atheists reading Aquinas's work than theists

OT: I'm reading And Then There Were None and On Liberty. I'm not very good with books that have many characters but I follow ATTWN surprisingly well this time. It's a pretty easy read. On Liberty is of course phenemonal, no questions there.
Jun 25, 2019 7:35 AM

Feb 2019
I'm reading American Gods because a friend recommended it to me. I'm enjoying it so far, haven't watched the series, so I haven't been spoiled much. I don't know if I'm too fond of the dry writing style though.
Jun 25, 2019 4:40 PM

Feb 2018
Last book I read: A Fair Maiden

Goosebumps for grown-ups. Crude writing that left a lot to be desired, but the meaning was open to interpretation, and interesting to consider all the same
Jun 25, 2019 7:00 PM

Oct 2017
Currently reading Dune. Some have said the beginning is slow but honestly I have really enjoyed every page.
Jun 26, 2019 12:10 PM

May 2018
As is liked the movie to some extent, I bought the novel "The girl with all the gifts" to see if it's better than its' adaption (which people say it is).
Currently at around page 100. The sentence building is easy to follow and overall it's quite fun and a fast read.
Jun 26, 2019 12:27 PM

Apr 2015
Sigh, I haven't finished a book in a while. I have unfinished ones laying around waiting for me to step up my game, but I feel too tired to do that. I have just been reading nonfictional, stuff about history of roses and their taxonomy, perennial plants, insects and few history books.
Jun 27, 2019 6:12 AM
Jun 2019
Currently finishing Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. First saw her book, The Handmaid's Tale, adapted into a series on Hulu and read that book first. I was hooked on her stuff.
Jun 27, 2019 7:27 AM
Aug 2018
Michael Vey (series)-- it's YA fiction and i really like it so far (on book 3/7)
Resisting Happiness-- a catholic book about why people find it so hard to reach holiness and how to get back to the faith (recommended to me by a priest)
The Christmas box (trilogy)--out of season so i wont pick it up again til winter
Other than that im in the middle of a couple manga series even though i hate having so many books to read at once...I prefer to go one at a time
Jul 1, 2019 2:26 PM
a car

Jun 2017
I've been binging Kevin Emerson's Chronicle of the Dark Star trilogy. I'm on book 3 right now. It's substantially better than the A Wrinkle in Time quintet, but at the same time, it is NO Steins;Gate. I wanna read the next Kiranmala (a.k.a. the superior Aru Shah) book after this.
Jul 1, 2019 10:04 PM

Feb 2019
Currently reading Agata Christie's And Then There Were None. Im planning on completing all of her works
Jul 2, 2019 4:30 AM

Feb 2019
I'm currently reading The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck, I'm enjoying it though it's a bit repetitive at times.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jul 7, 2019 5:57 AM

Jul 2011
Im currently reading Dark Souls: Beyond the Grave. I started reading 2 days ago and did not have much time to continue.

Jul 7, 2019 11:42 AM

Nov 2016
Luna_Estlin said:
I'm currently reading The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck, I'm enjoying it though it's a bit repetitive at times.

Is it me or am I seeing those types of books everywhere? Books about how to not care about things and such, usually with some sort of expletive in the title.

Bölvat es okkr, bróðir,
bani em ek þinn orðinn;
þat mun æ uppi;
illr er dómr norna.
-Hlöðskviða
(The Battle of the Goths and Huns)
Jul 7, 2019 3:23 PM

May 2016
They're all self help books with the same underlying message. Subtle Art isn't really about not giving a fuck, it's about a very modernist take on self-help namely that life is suffering but that struggle gives us meaning because happiness cannot help sustain/hold off suffering.

It's pretty popular these days and resonates with like young/fedora-tipping redditors who are shit out of luck.
Jul 20, 2019 4:53 PM
a car

Jun 2017
I've been reading Nightfall, Book 6 of the Keeper of the Lost Cities. Man, when I first started it, I thought it was the first legitimate successor to Harry Potter, and now... er... I can see those sharks lined up, just waiting to be jumped over!

Messenger is really showing her YA-author-exclusive talents of wasting time in this one. Also, the Mr. Forkle thing at the beginning pretty much ruined all the tension that the series had done do well building upon. I'm not even finding the dialogue as snappy and modern as previous books, and the reverse harem is getting just about as annoying as the YA novels that I so despise.

Let's hope book 8 is the final one for the sake of the series' condition.
Jul 20, 2019 7:08 PM
Nov 2017
The Myth of Sisyphus by albert camus
Principles of Economics by Gregory Mankiw
The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy,
metaphysics: A Very Short Introduction by Stephen Mumford
Jul 30, 2019 8:27 PM

Jun 2016
Now I'm reading the second book in the Wheel of Time series, The Great Hunt
Jul 30, 2019 8:28 PM

Nov 2012
Reading Lee & Kirby's Fantastic Four run
Jul 31, 2019 4:35 PM
a car

Jun 2017
Do Western graphic novels count? Because I just read through volumes 1-3 of my introduction into the world of Western GNs: Kibuishi Kazu's Amulet. And I must say, it is hot garbage; the worst children's literature I've read next to The Unwanteds.

I'll admit, the background art is great. I hated the character designs, but it was something I was willing to work with. However, I cannot STAND how awful the art was in terms of its failure to convey motion or expressions.

And as for the plot, it's ahead of its time as far as being a trashy modern isekai despite having launched in 2008. I'm not one to get triggered by isekai, but this made be hate an isekai as much as the people who do get triggered by it.

But on a more positive note, Aru Shah and the Song of Death was totally lit and better than Kiran in almost every way.
Aug 4, 2019 9:37 AM

Mar 2018
Outside work, mangas and light novels, I am currently reading "Homo Deus" by Yuval Noah Harari, which is a nonfiction book and looks at how the future of humanity will change due to changes in society, technology and other factors. Fascinating. I am planning to read his other book "21 Lessons for the 21st Century" eventually but after "Homo Deus", I am planning to read "Pachinko" by Min Jin Lee. Either that or I will finally finish "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson so I can read his newest book. Supposedly there is no need to read "Reamde" to read "Fall or Dodge in Hell" but I rather want the full experience.
Aug 4, 2019 10:32 AM

Jul 2009
Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management. This shit's hardcore.
Aug 4, 2019 10:41 AM

Sep 2015
TolkienFan365 said:
Currently reading Dune. Some have said the beginning is slow but honestly I have really enjoyed every page.

i just bought a super old copy at a bookstore in my city for $3, super excited to read it!!!

talk me down
safe & sound
too strung up
to sleep
⋯⋯ ⋯⋯
overground,
watch this space
i'm open to
falling from grace

Aug 4, 2019 10:42 AM

Sep 2015
I'm in the last stretch of A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole and it's been an absolute riot tbh would highly reccommend

talk me down
safe & sound
too strung up
to sleep
⋯⋯ ⋯⋯
overground,
watch this space
i'm open to
falling from grace

Aug 4, 2019 11:48 AM

Aug 2017
Luna_Estlin said:

If you manage to put it down, you've won.
Aug 4, 2019 11:49 AM

Aug 2017
I just finished the 1st Volume of 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens. It's been a nice read so far
Aug 4, 2019 11:54 AM

Aug 2012
Crime and Punishment. Almost halfway through the novel and oh boy is the first part so boring. There are literally only a handful chapters that intrigue me in the least. But the book is well-written. I heard it picks up after the first half.
Aug 6, 2019 8:18 PM

Mar 2012
Skittles said:
That sounds like a form of torture.

alanzgrin said:
Currently finishing Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. First saw her book, The Handmaid's Tale, adapted into a series on Hulu and read that book first. I was hooked on her stuff.
Atwood is great. Her MaddAddam trilogy is my favourite. I'm still waiting for the HBO adaptation.

Sid_Ever said:
The Myth of Sisyphus by albert camus
Principles of Economics by Gregory Mankiw
The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy,
metaphysics: A Very Short Introduction by Stephen Mumford
These are all good picks, but don't take Mankiw's word for it. Mainstream econ theory is incomplete at best and needs to be balanced out with plenty of heterodox stuff.

huntress1013 said:
Outside work, mangas and light novels, I am currently reading "Homo Deus" by Yuval Noah Harari, which is a nonfiction book and looks at how the future of humanity will change due to changes in society, technology and other factors. Fascinating. I am planning to read his other book "21 Lessons for the 21st Century" eventually but after "Homo Deus", I am planning to read "Pachinko" by Min Jin Lee. Either that or I will finally finish "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson so I can read his newest book. Supposedly there is no need to read "Reamde" to read "Fall or Dodge in Hell" but I rather want the full experience.
Homo Deus is interesting, but I have a few fundamental disagreements with Harari. I think he's too optimistic about human ingenuity, technology and progress, and that he underestimates our ecological crisis and the extent to which our current civilization is reliant on consuming large amounts of non-renewable resources. I don't expect an apocalypse, but I expect the future to look more like apocalyptic fiction than science fiction.

Yarub said:
Crime and Punishment. Almost halfway through the novel and oh boy is the first part so boring. There are literally only a handful chapters that intrigue me in the least. But the book is well-written. I heard it picks up after the first half.
I remember enjoying the whole thing, but it's been a while. Hope you like the second half more. His interactions with the police are some of the most memorable for me. The one officer/detective character is pure genius.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 6, 2019 8:58 PM

Jul 2009
Josh said:
Skittles said:
That sounds like a form of torture.
Yes indeed.

Aug 7, 2019 4:12 AM

Jan 2015
Halfway through L'Assommoir by Emile Zola.

Damn, this is depressing, I can feel where it goes. Shouldn't have picked thing impulsively just because I heard about the author before and ofc, the discount: ').

la critique de l'intention pure
Aug 19, 2019 3:00 PM
a car

Jun 2017
I've been reading an LN series that is TenSura's clone: Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita (Reincarnated as a Sword). I'm about to finish volume 2. It has much more engaging worldbuilding mechanics (such as with Dungeons) than TenSura but it's still plagued by mostly boring characters. At the very least, the two leads aren't Mary and Gary Sue this time.

But man, when it gets anime adaptation... it's going to be a brouhaha!
Aug 19, 2019 3:38 PM

May 2019
So, I'm currently reading "Life for Sale" by Yukio Mishima, and I must say I'm not dazzled. Actually, a bit disappointed.
It differs significantly from his other works, and even though it touches some of the crucial points of his work, and most of contemporary Japanese works - one of them, and perhaps the most relevant being the increasing influence of the west over Japan - it has failed to reach the depth of his other works, in my opinion.
The book tells the story of a young man who after a peculiar incident, and a followed suicide attempt, decides to sell his life - suicide, and search for the true self being a predominant theme in his works, and most Japanese literature. The character does this in order to die, as he considers himself incapable of committing suicide. This said, to the point I've read, all the contracts he made with his clients failed to achieve this goal. Much the opposite, the ones who ended up dying were the other involved parties.

It is a very small book, 200 pages, give or take. This said, I still have hope to find the true meaning behind the book. And, a more serious intention behind his words.

Woow, a set.
Aug 27, 2019 6:53 PM

Dec 2008
Blacksad. Like a gritty and darker Zootropolis.
Aug 27, 2019 7:16 PM

Dec 2015
I'm currently reading "The Myth of Sisyphus" by Albert Camus. I started reading it because I was having thoughts about the futility of doing things that won't last forever. It has helped me make my outlook on life more positive I would say.

Club for Fighting Game lovers : https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=77600
Aug 27, 2019 9:29 PM

May 2009
I'm currently reading Sorcery of Thorns. I've never been a big fan of young adult novels because I just didn't give them much of a chance. This one is kinda changing my opinion on them. The main character is so endearing, I just want her to make it through even though she keeps making bad decisions...
Sep 1, 2019 7:41 PM

Jul 2013
I just read Frankenstein by the legendary Mary Shelly and it's still got a very deep story.
Sep 1, 2019 10:54 PM
Oct 2015
I recently finished Skyward by Brandon Sanderson. Stellar (pun unintended but enjoyed) YA Sci-Fi novel. Excellent character writing, a slowly growing and engaging plot, Sanderson always does an excellent job of helping you visualize what's going on, and there are three more books planned including one later this year
Sep 4, 2019 6:44 AM

Aug 2012
Currently reading The First Man by Albert Camus. It's a really short story because the author died before finishing the story. Only picked it up to read in the return flight on a plane. Only read 30 pages and slept the whole thing off. Will continue soon.
Sep 8, 2019 12:12 AM

Nov 2016
After years of shitting on Ayn Rand because intellectuals hated her, I'm now reading her precisely because intellectuals hate her. So far, I'm loving what I'm reading.

Annie_Goo said:
I'm currently reading "The Myth of Sisyphus" by Albert Camus. I started reading it because I was having thoughts about the futility of doing things that won't last forever. It has helped me make my outlook on life more positive I would say.

Good job. That book pulled me out of depression too, but don't forget to couple it up with 'The Rebel' later. That can help smooth out the individualist edges you might develop from The Myth alone.

Kurt_Irving said:
I just read Frankenstein by the legendary Mary Shelly and it's still got a very deep story.

Frankenstein is still fucking shit and I will die on this hill.
ThanakosSep 8, 2019 12:17 AM
Pages (114) « First ... « 103 104 [105] 106 107 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7582 by Maumuu »»
4 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3383 by 3miL »»
5 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4817 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
10 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
12 hours ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.