Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 29, 2017 6:45 PM

Nov 2011

The official site for Free! revealed that the series will be getting a new season to premiere in Summer 2018. A new episode 0 special screening has also been announced.

The franchise received its first season in Summer 2013 followed by a second season in Summer 2014. In addition, the franchise also received a prequel movie in 2015, two Timeless Melody movies in 2017, as well as a special screening episode that just premiered on October 28, which a teaser illustration has revealed at the end.

Official site: http://tym.iwatobi-sc.com/
Official Twitter: @iwatobi_sc

Source: Moca News

Free! Dive to the Future and Free! Dive to the Future Episode 0 on MAL
tsubasaloverAug 2, 2018 3:02 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 29, 2017 6:47 PM

May 2015
great More time to postpone watching this

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Oct 29, 2017 6:48 PM

Apr 2014
Kyoani wasting their talents

4 movies 3 seasons just end this franchise please
Oct 29, 2017 6:52 PM
Apr 2012
Why have a new season of gay swimmers when we can have a new season of gay musicians?
Oct 29, 2017 6:54 PM
Aug 2017
KyoAni is loaded next year. 3 Series (Evergarden, Tsurune, Free S3) and 2 Movies (Chunnibyou and Liz). Definitely a step up towards their path to redemption, although they are producing more content than expected.
Oct 29, 2017 6:55 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
If they have to do sacrifices like that to get more money and do stuff like Violet Evergarden, so be it.

Also, i wonder if it's going to be the same director since she's working on Banana Fish somewhere in the second half of 2018
DatRandomDudeOct 29, 2017 7:07 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 29, 2017 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
OMG WHAT?? I love Free! so much but I’m not a fan of copy paste series. I hope it will be the same characters with continuation.

Like, the ending was awesome, why would they make a sequel?
PLS KYOANI DONT FUCK IT UP T_T
Oct 29, 2017 6:58 PM

Nov 2011
Kyoto Animation has quite a bit of projects next year by the looks of it now. First time they produced a third season from what I remember. Interesting..
Oct 29, 2017 6:59 PM

Sep 2010
moodie said:
Kyoani wasting their talents

4 movies 3 seasons just end this franchise please

As long as people keep throwing money at them KyoAni is going to keep milking Free!. How are they wasting their talents when they produce something every season that isn't Free! related? Violet Evergarden looks fucking beautiful and could very well be AotS for the Winter.

As for me while I'm not much into the series anymore I will still watch this cause I really love the characters.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 29, 2017 7:02 PM

Dec 2012
Looks like dragon maid was a one time thing. Kyoani back to their antics.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Oct 29, 2017 7:12 PM

May 2016
YES! THANK GOD.
I'm so happy i'm alive today.
Now i can say: 2018 seems P E R F E C T.
Please KyoAni, give all your MakoHaru couple power!
Oct 29, 2017 7:16 PM

Mar 2016
I'm so ready for this! I'm so glad this is getting another season, I wonder who's story they're going to follow with the third years going to college and how they'll go about it, I can't wait! I'm so excited :D!
Oct 29, 2017 7:18 PM

Apr 2015
BUT

BUT

SEASON 2 ENDED SO PERFECTLY?????
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2017 7:23 PM

May 2015
I'll always welcome more Free, it was the anime that got me into anime. I should probably get round to watching the prequel movie at some point.

♡ artist
サコ
Oct 29, 2017 7:25 PM

Apr 2014
Well gotta throw a bone to the fuji's some times I guess.
Oct 29, 2017 7:34 PM
Jul 2018
To be honest this is around my Top 10 KyoAni shows, so having more and trying to focus on the other characters wouldn't be a bad idea. But they need to cool down with that stuff for a bit Lel. Just saying ^^
Oct 29, 2017 7:35 PM
Jan 2014
Protaku said:

throw a bone? have you seen how much fujo stuff comes out each season?

as far as fujo stuff goes, free isn't that bad though, so it's whatever.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
NexuOct 30, 2017 3:43 PM
Oct 29, 2017 7:36 PM

Dec 2009
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I SAW IT ON TWITTER JUST NOW AND I WAS JUST CRYING I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! T______T THE FEELS ARE RUSHING BACK!

I'm curious as to how they will continue the series after S2's ending though :DD can't wait to find out T_T!!
Oct 29, 2017 8:06 PM

Apr 2016
*sigh* They Could've made a new season of Dragon Maid or Hibike. But instead they are making this ー_ー
Oct 29, 2017 8:07 PM
Jan 2014
ItsXolo said:
Protaku said:

throw a bone? have you seen how much fujo stuff comes out each season?

as far as fujo stuff goes, free isn't that bad though, so it's whatever.

Just this season alone:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/35818/Love_Kome__We_Love_Rice_2nd_Season
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35923/Ame-iro_Cocoa_Series__Ame-con
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34771/Dynamic_Chord
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34411/Taishou_Chicchai-san
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34474/Tsukipro_The_Animation
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34915/The_iDOLMSTER_SideM
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35251/Sengoku_Night_Blood
https://myanimelist.net/anime/31456/Code_Realize__Sousei_no_Himegimi

There's probably more, that's just the stuff that's immediately obvious from the cover art.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
NexuOct 30, 2017 3:45 PM
Oct 29, 2017 8:12 PM

Apr 2014

Yeah but none of those are noteworthy lol. Nothing on Yuri on Ice or Free level at least.

NexuOct 30, 2017 3:46 PM
Oct 29, 2017 8:27 PM

Oct 2015
Great news. Looking forward to it!
Oct 29, 2017 8:30 PM

Mar 2008
With this announcement my 2017 has been saved...

The wait isn't too long, either.

Oct 29, 2017 8:31 PM

Apr 2011
Protaku said:

Yeah but none of those are noteworthy lol. Nothing on Yuri on Ice or Free level at least.

You realise how dumb that sounds, right? That's like saying Tsuki ga Kirei isn't noteworthy because it's not as popular as Clannad.

NexuOct 30, 2017 3:47 PM
Oct 29, 2017 8:32 PM

Nov 2007
Yay! Although I have yet to finish season 2, there can never be too much Free!

Shibusu said:
KyoAni is loaded next year. 3 Series (Evergarden, Tsurune, Free S3) and 2 Movies (Chunnibyou and Liz). Definitely a step up towards their path to redemption, although they are producing more content than expected.

Actually three movies. Both Hibike movies (Liz and 2-nensei) are scheduled for 2018. I think I was the first person to mention in MAL that either Tsurune or Manzaisenka or both would get TV anime sometime late last year going by the trend of KyoAni. I guess I got it half right (at least for now).

I am curious about Robot Heart Update. Looks more interesting. The upgrade of the official website with a lot of features, including downloadable contents, promotions in their online shop, along with redesigning the characters more closer to anime adaptation from previous designs (originally for the LN) mean that it is more likely to get an adaptation over Manzaisenka or even Kono Hoshizora ni wa Kimi ga Tarinai.

Who knows, maybe it would be announced as well following the footsteps of Chuunibyou, Kyoukai no Kanata, Tamako Market, Free!, Phantom World, Violet Evegarden and now Tsurune. I am looking forward to whatever KyoAni plans to adapt. The only one KyoAni messed up was Phantom World, turning a dark story into an ecchi fest which is thankfully reflected on how poorly it was received even amongst avid and loyal KyoAni fans.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 29, 2017 9:18 PM
Jul 2018
KyoAni please stop. Give us some more Hyouka, Nichjou, or even some more K-ON.
Oct 29, 2017 9:20 PM

Nov 2007
Omkar_Nagwade said:
*sigh* They Could've made a new season of Dragon Maid or Hibike. But instead they are making this ー_ー

You have to understand that unlike Free! neither of the two titles are owned by KyoAni. Besides Free! is one of the biggest franchise of KyoAni. It's anime like Free! or Chuunibyou that would generate the revenue to take up projects like Maid Dragon in the future. Although I adored Maid Dragon, I was actually worried that it might enter red. Luckily it didn't.

To put it into perspective, compare the discs sold per volume for first season:
Free! 29.1 K
Chuunibyou 15.7K
Hibike! 8.3K
Maid Dragon 3.5K

Although there are other factors involved which are often disregarded, for instances production budget, manpower used, third party/ outsourcing (not usually applicable for KyoAni as they produce anime in house), IP, TV airing slot, TV stations involved, online broadcasting, licensing, merchandises, events, theatre releases and so on.

Sales aside, Free! and Chuunibyou are owned by KyoAni. The entire profit goes to their pocket. Hibike! is owned by Takarajima. Maid Dragon is owned by Monthly Action. That itself is a bigger reason for KyoAni to go for Free! and Chuunibyou over Hibike! and Maid Dragon. However, Hibike! actually had a significant profit margin. On top of that, all of the events were basically sold out. Also, the production value allowed KyoAni to add 5 mins of new content and release recap movies in the theatres, adding more monetary values to the franchise. I think these prompted KyoAni to announce not only one but two new movies in 2018, excluding the fact that the people involved with the production of Hibike!, including a couple of renowned ones, said they loved working on it like nothing else in their career.

Unfortunately for Maid Dragon, none of these apply. I doubt whether there would ever be any sequel. But I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Faederwulf said:

Basically the same as above.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 29, 2017 9:53 PM
Mar 2010
Oh goodness, I can't believe this. But yes, please! It's been a while since I've seen the Free! boys in action.

As for the people complaining, just stop. There are lots of shows for males too, plus you have shows like Inuyashiki, The Reflection, Garo Vanishing Line and the like (I love these shows btw).

Just.stop.complaining.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Oct 29, 2017 9:56 PM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:

Faederwulf said:

From the statistics I've been checking, KyoAni seems to always have a decent net income during each fiscal year (143 mil yen in 2013, 165 in 2014). Unfortunately whoever owns KyoAni puts profit before quality. I can't say Kyoto Animation has ever been one of the most incredible studios, but they've certainly taken a dip in quality.
Oct 29, 2017 10:03 PM

Apr 2011
Faederwulf said:
shanimebib said:

From the statistics I've been checking, KyoAni seems to always have a decent net income during each fiscal year (143 mil yen in 2013, 165 in 2014). Unfortunately whoever owns KyoAni puts profit before quality. I can't say Kyoto Animation has ever been one of the most incredible studios, but they've certainly taken a dip in quality.

Dude, 90% of all entrepreneurs of a profit-seeking organisation will put profit before quality. Of the remaining 10%, 9% will put profit before quality so long as the the product does not actively harm its consumers. That's not a KyoAni thing. It's a business thing.
Oct 29, 2017 10:14 PM

May 2014
OMG at last :D Cant guess at how long I’ve been waiting for this, my gateway anime to the bishe world will keep on serving <3
Oct 29, 2017 10:33 PM
Mar 2016
Excited; looking forward to it.
Oct 29, 2017 10:41 PM

Aug 2015
I.AM.SO.HYPED

It was good to wake up to these news
The best thing is that it’s finally a TV anime and not yet another movie. I have high hopes for this, hopefully it’s good
Oct 29, 2017 10:45 PM
Feb 2012
i'm pretty gay for Makoto so I don't really mind this otherwise KyoAni is mostly a pass
Oct 29, 2017 10:47 PM

Jul 2012
Lovely! Always a blast to have an Anime in summer season that's already confirmed to be good and fitting for the season!
Oct 29, 2017 10:48 PM

Aug 2015
shanimebib said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

You have to understand that unlike Free! neither of the two titles are owned by KyoAni. Besides Free! is one of the biggest franchise of KyoAni. It's anime like Free! or Chuunibyou that would generate the revenue to take up projects like Maid Dragon in the future. Although I adored Maid Dragon, I was actually worried that it might enter red. Luckily it didn't.

Free! 29.1 K
Chuunibyou 15.7K
Hibike! 8.3K
Maid Dragon 3.5K

Although there are other factors involved which are often disregarded, for instances production budget, manpower used, third party/ outsourcing (not usually applicable for KyoAni as they produce anime in house), IP, TV airing slot, TV stations involved, online broadcasting, licensing, merchandises, events, theatre releases and so on.

Sales aside, Free! and Chuunibyou are owned by KyoAni. The entire profit goes to their pocket. Hibike! is owned by Takarajima. Maid Dragon is owned by Monthly Action. That itself is a bigger reason for KyoAni to go for Free! and Chuunibyou over Hibike! and Maid Dragon. However, Hibike! actually had a significant profit margin. On top of that, all of the events were basically sold out. Also, the production value allowed KyoAni to add 5 mins of new content and release recap movies in the theatres, adding more monetary values to the franchise. I think these prompted KyoAni to announce not only one but two new movies in 2018, excluding the fact that the people involved with the production of Hibike!, including a couple of renowned ones, said they loved working on it like nothing else in their career.

Unfortunately for Maid Dragon, none of these apply. I doubt whether there would ever be any sequel. But I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Faederwulf said:

In fact, Maid Dragon was never that much of a big hit in Japan and it didn’t make as much of a fuss as it did overseas. So it’s not that surprising. Popularity is a thing they will always focus on in Japan lol
Oct 29, 2017 11:37 PM

Apr 2013
Faederwulf said:
shanimebib said:

well, if they really want to put profit before quality KyoAni would have had adapt popular franchise that hasn't get an anime yet and make its TV series to make a lot of money. They wouldn't take a bigger risk of adapting something from their IP into an anime. But I also don't deny that KyoAni is likely to think about profit like every business should do. I guess you're just mad because the shows they've put in recent years is not to your liking or not very good and you might be right. but you're wrong to make conclusion only based on the argument "Puts profit before quality"
Oct 29, 2017 11:38 PM

Aug 2013
Wow, I never expected this franchise to end up being so big. I guess fanservice does sell. Still, it feels about enough... Will it ever end?
Oct 29, 2017 11:41 PM

Jul 2012
Faederwulf said:
shanimebib said:

free! is quality, what are you talking about? smh

edit: this isn't sarcasm, i actually mean it. an anime about reaching your dreams with a dash of sports and with a loveable cast of characters. it's rare to have that especially with a huge fanbase that is fueling it's sequels and movies. i appreciate this series for how far they've come.
Oct 29, 2017 11:46 PM

Nov 2007
Halloween Image that was screened at the end of Take Your Marks screening at KyoAni & Do Event on October 28.
https://twitter.com/xqwn1/status/924103425670889473
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 30, 2017 12:09 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Free! is great but how about a s2 of Maid Dragon instead.

Where else can they take this story exactly?
Oct 30, 2017 12:15 AM

Jan 2013
YAS YAS YAS OMG! So happy to see more of my bb Rin. T.T ♥ plot after highschool pls

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Oct 30, 2017 12:56 AM

Sep 2009
shanimebib said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

Free! 29.1 K
Chuunibyou 15.7K
Hibike! 8.3K
Maid Dragon 3.5K

Faederwulf said:

I heard that KyoAni bought rights for Euphonimum from the previous publisher actually. Was this information incorrect?
Oct 30, 2017 12:58 AM

Mar 2016
Faederwulf said:

I agree with Hyouka..it should have second season too!

Well,I didn't expect Free get new season..good news for the fans,I guess..
Forum set made by Sereshay

Oct 30, 2017 1:00 AM

Apr 2013
Yes, totally looking forward to this!
Oct 30, 2017 1:23 AM

Nov 2016
Oh cool,another sequel, looking forward to it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 30, 2017 3:01 AM

Feb 2013
THANK YOU SO MUCH KYOANI ;____; YOU MADE MY DAY
Oct 30, 2017 3:17 AM
Jul 2018
yhunata said:
Faederwulf said:

Dude, 90% of all entrepreneurs of a profit-seeking organisation will put profit before quality. Of the remaining 10%, 9% will put profit before quality so long as the the product does not actively harm its consumers. That's not a KyoAni thing. It's a business thing.

I'm well aware of this, but it's a modern and greedy approach to business. History has known many eras where creators of entertainment put quality before profit.

Mayuka said:
Faederwulf said:

edit: this isn't sarcasm, i actually mean it. an anime about reaching your dreams with a dash of sports and with a loveable cast of characters. it's rare to have that especially with a huge fanbase that is fueling it's sequels and movies. i appreciate this series for how far they've come.

It's just boys and fanservice. Even K-ON at least had a comfy atmosphere.

removed-userOct 30, 2017 3:24 AM
Oct 30, 2017 3:26 AM

Feb 2013
Faederwulf said:
yhunata said:

I'm well aware of this, but it's a modern and greedy approach to business. History has known many eras where creators of entertainment put quality before profit.

Mayuka said:

Why do you even judge something you haven't seen, I wonder
Oct 30, 2017 3:30 AM
Jul 2018
Ritshiro said:
Faederwulf said:

Why do you even judge something you haven't seen, I wonder

I've seen enough of it to judge it.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
4 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Today

3 by Maumuu »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
10 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.