Forum Settings
Forums

when have i seen enough anime to be a real anime fan

New
Apr 7, 2017 5:53 AM

Jan 2017
i started anime this year and ive been trying to become an anime fan, how much anime do i have to watch ?
im guessing about 1000 makes sense
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2017 5:59 AM

Feb 2013
100 TV & 31 days
that's when you're not a poser anymore
Apr 7, 2017 6:02 AM

Mar 2016
Yeah i guess when you hit 100 you could be considered a real anime fan
Offence or Defence, Passive or Violent.
I''ll cut my wrist until my heartbeat is silent.

Apr 7, 2017 6:03 AM

Oct 2013
you'll be a anime fan when you consider yourself to be one
there is no magical number
the numbers just show your progress and will help to tell if you're a noob or not
Apr 7, 2017 6:04 AM

Jun 2015
you need only finish the weeb starter pack and you're good to go.
Apr 7, 2017 6:04 AM

Jan 2016
You have to write one hundred times "SAO is shit".
Apr 7, 2017 6:05 AM

Oct 2014
SolidWoIf said:
i started anime this year and ive been trying to become an anime fan, how much anime do i have to watch ?

1000? Jesus dude...

A fan is someone who enjoys something, if you're a fan of a good variety of shows, you can be considered a fan of the whole medium. Just watch a little of everything so you can get a good idea of the various shows that the medium has to offer.

Nov 2016
When you have watched 1 anime that isn't Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, SAO, AoT, One Punch Man, Dragon Ball, or Pokemon then you can be considered an anime fan.
Pixel_VapourApr 7, 2017 6:11 AM

Jul 2015
100 is the magical number. when you hit 1000 you are a sicko.
also important is that you shouldnt have a mean score of over 8 . if possible it should be under 7,5 or even lower. but not under 5. all of that would make you a weirdo.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Apr 7, 2017 6:09 AM

Feb 2013
Pixel_Vapour said:
When you have watched 1 anime that isn't Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, SAO, AoT, One Punch Man, Dragon Ball, or Pokemon then you can be considered an anime fan.
it seems i was a fan from when i watched Willy Fog on minimax
Apr 7, 2017 6:12 AM

Mar 2008
Rather than through a materialistic or quantitative endeavour, the inauguration of a new anime fan is a journey of discovery. In short, there is no magical number: the anime fan is born in that impossible moment when love meets desire. Deep inside each of us lies that bedded seed of 2D, but only a few of us awaken to its berserk glory. There is no single way in which this might occur. For some, it is a sudden and spontaneous birth; for others, it is the process of a long and careful nurture.

As there is no sure way to initiate this enlightenment, it must come down to each individual's heart and soul. Each of us is a reflection of anime: a small fragment that is a part of that greater whole. In order for us to become true anime, we must find a way to embrace that whole. To find that way, we must first want to find it: this is the first step.

In the myriad of Anime, there is a countless number of fans. In the way of the Anime fan, there is a countless number of paths. And yet each road when dutifully travelled, will eventually lead us to the source: True Anime. Embracing this way and shouldering its burdens is the only rule.

Keep the faith burning, for only Anime knows the way. Follow the Anime way, and all else follows.
CkanApr 7, 2017 6:15 AM
Apr 7, 2017 6:12 AM

Oct 2016
You're already in MAL and participating in anime forums. I think you're good to go.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 7, 2017 6:13 AM

Jul 2015
romagia said:
100 TV & 31 days

Wow, still 23 TV shows to watch? Gimme a break, everybody knows movies and OVA >>> generic otaku pandering LN adaptation ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 7, 2017 6:14 AM

Aug 2016
When you enjoy watching anime and consider yourself as one. Number of anime only shows how much you are familiar with the medium, and how others see if they'll take you seriously or not.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Apr 7, 2017 6:14 AM

Nov 2016
Over the last years the requirements to become an anime fan have risen. I think 1000 series aren't enough to make the cut. It should be at least 2000.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 7, 2017 6:15 AM

Nov 2016
Lufwa said:
When you enjoy watching anime and consider yourself as one.

How can you consider yourself an anime?
Apr 7, 2017 6:16 AM

Jan 2017
Pixel_Vapour said:
death note was the first anime ive ever seen, ive seen about half of these
Apr 7, 2017 6:18 AM

Nov 2016
SolidWoIf said:
Pixel_Vapour said:
death note was the first anime ive ever seen, ive seen about half of these

The only ones I have seen out of them from start to finish is SAO and OPM. I watched seperate episodes of Dragon Ball and Pokemon when I was a kid.
Apr 7, 2017 6:19 AM

Apr 2015
If you have an active interest in the anime medium and seek out knowledge about the medium, I'd consider you an anime fan.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Apr 7, 2017 6:22 AM

Feb 2013
Clebardman said:
romagia said:
100 TV & 31 days

Wow, still 23 TV shows to watch? Gimme a break, everybody knows movies and OVA >>> generic otaku pandering LN adaptation ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
standalone movies and ova are half a point, and 2+ cour TV from 2005 and earlier counts as 2, so you're fine
Apr 7, 2017 6:22 AM

Aug 2016
took me 1 then i know im gonna be addicted

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 7, 2017 6:24 AM

Dec 2015
There is no number. If you want to be a real anime fan, you have to try harder. Of course, you also have to undergo a ritual to summon Cthulhu, but that´s just a normal procedure. After the third time, it´s kinda like going to the dentist.
Apr 7, 2017 6:29 AM

Aug 2016
Pixel_Vapour said:
Lufwa said:
When you enjoy watching anime and consider yourself as one.

How can you consider yourself an anime?

I phrased that poorly/wrong xD. RIP context hahahaha

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Apr 7, 2017 6:50 AM

Feb 2016
Clebardman said:
romagia said:
100 TV & 31 days

Its actually think its true(like overall tv shows, not LN adaptations cause they are obviously garbage), Ill have to check if my mean score for Movies+OVAs is higher than for all TV series some day.

OT: I heard 200 shows is the 'anime minimum' but I dont really care
SpaghettiSpikeApr 7, 2017 6:54 AM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Apr 7, 2017 6:52 AM

May 2016
Ckan said:
Rather than through a materialistic or quantitative endeavour, the inauguration of a new anime fan is a journey of discovery. In short, there is no magical number: the anime fan is born in that impossible moment when love meets desire. Deep inside each of us lies that bedded seed of 2D, but only a few of us awaken to its berserk glory. There is no single way in which this might occur. For some, it is a sudden and spontaneous birth; for others, it is the process of a long and careful nurture.

As there is no sure way to initiate this enlightenment, it must come down to each individual's heart and soul. Each of us is a reflection of anime: a small fragment that is a part of that greater whole. In order for us to become true anime, we must find a way to embrace that whole. To find that way, we must first want to find it: this is the first step.

In the myriad of Anime, there is a countless number of fans. In the way of the Anime fan, there is a countless number of paths. And yet each road when dutifully travelled, will eventually lead us to the source: True Anime. Embracing this way and shouldering its burdens is the only rule.

Keep the faith burning, for only Anime knows the way. Follow the Anime way, and all else follows.
that came out of nowhere. and was awesome
I only have a hundred anime on my list, so my opinions dont matter...
Apr 7, 2017 7:06 AM

Oct 2015

as long as you dont
1.think people on here are fucking snob weebs
2.dont think someone is trolling for having an anime you never seen b4 in their fac
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Apr 7, 2017 7:28 AM

Sep 2014
You must not try to be an anime fan. In fact, you're already one, so needless to insist further on it.
Apr 7, 2017 7:30 AM

Apr 2015
When you decide you should have a MAL account.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 7, 2017 7:32 AM

Apr 2016
In first place you need to stop watching garbage like Re:Zero.
Apr 7, 2017 7:38 AM

Feb 2015
What a handful of diverse shows ( different genre ) this your only a true fan if you've seen X amount of shows is retarded.
Apr 7, 2017 7:40 AM

Feb 2015
100 titles is the arbitrary start of your degeneracy as a weeb but it's still a long way to go. Your futile journey as an anime weeb enthusiast whatever the hell is it has just started and will ultimately won't end.
Apr 7, 2017 7:51 AM

Aug 2016
You fool. No one in this world needs to watch 100+ anime to be considered a anime fan. Have a look at my list and I'm still a anime fan. Even if I have a small amount I love the anime I chose very much, that love is much stronger than the 100 anime someone quickly watched to just get a fake title.
I only watch the very best anime out there.
Every anime I think is worthy of my list has to be perfect from the very beginning to the end.
I study the anime and make sure it's 100% satisfying for me.
My current anime project: Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Future anime project: Unknown
Please feel free to recommend me anime to watch. Just leave a message on my profile :)
Apr 7, 2017 7:54 AM

Jan 2016
The Merriam-Webster dictionary states that, "an enthusiastic devotee, usually as a spectator" is what you need to be to be a fan.

IDK though, it's kind of a subjective term if you think about it.
Apr 7, 2017 8:00 AM

May 2016
As long as you love it and continue to more and not stick with just one anime and just talking about it that is when you are a true fan.
Apr 7, 2017 8:00 AM

Dec 2016
You are a fan once you consider yourself a fan. After that comes what kind of fan you are, but you also decide that for yourself.
Apr 7, 2017 8:10 AM
Aug 2010
SolidWoIf said:

1000? thats more like not having anything else to do.
Apr 7, 2017 8:58 AM
Mar 2017
Interesting.
I've only discovered the site recently, the community is much bigger than i thought it would be, and there are a ton of anime.
It certainly looks like ive only seen a small portion of the animes, which i guess could be a good thing, ive only watched what friends recommended me, never even knew about the rest.
Regardless i like anime, i like other things too, but since i feel like anime is closer to me i would say that I'm a fan.
Apr 7, 2017 9:05 AM

May 2013
Itachi_0893 said:
SolidWoIf said:

Aside from work, pretty much that yeah
Apr 7, 2017 9:10 AM

Aug 2016
If you actively dedicate a good amount of your time in discussion and/or continue to watch different anime series, then that should be enough.

Judging only through quantifiable levels, I would assume they are anime fans if they meet 1 of the following conditions:
1) 100 TV Series completed (MAL counts sequels as a separate TV series)
2) 50 days watched
3) 200 entries completed (since people can watch shorts, movies to inflate)
4) 50 franchises watched
Apr 7, 2017 9:14 AM

Mar 2016
CatSoul said:
When you decide you should have a MAL account.

I went years before I even found out mal existed though :/

Also I'd say I'd already consider OP a fan with their show count
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2017 9:15 AM

Jun 2011
50-100 somewhere between there. I kinda just take people at their word when they say they are an anime fan but I like about 100 anime. My husband is not at 100 anime and does not consider himself a fan. He is around 75 anime. He only watches yaoi, shonen ai, and ghibli movies. He also loves Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon, Naruto, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Even likes trash like Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat. He pushed ME to watch that. XD He liked that the dude was trying to find a wank spot in the opening song.

He is way more into video games.

I think being an anime fan is more a mindset. If my husband casually watches anime with me because he loves me and happens to find some he likes (mostly romance anime), that is nice. He tries to find ones he likes because he knows I am WAY into this stuff. Sadly, we have like opposite land taste in yaoi. And the stuff he does end up liking is always trash. hahaha. I just showed him Love Tyrant and he likes it. Granted I like it too. But that show is trash. XD Trashy goodness.

1000 is a really stupid marker that only people on here believe. Most people who go to convention I meet only have seen 50-100. Older fans will see 100-200 (by older I mean around 25). Only 40 year olds are in the 1000 club.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 7, 2017 9:20 AM

Jun 2011
FackuIkari said:
Itachi_0893 said:

Aside from work, pretty much that yeah

I don't work or go to school, and I am 26... and I am disabled. And I STILL find other things that aren't anime to do. Like walk my dog. Go to tea parties. Cook food. And I really do have nothing else to do all day if I wanted, I really could waste all my hours getting up to 1000.
Apr 7, 2017 9:31 AM

Dec 2015
I think you could be considered an anime fan when you stop looking forward to only the mainstream or the most popular shows of the season and start checking out other small or less popular ones. When you get curious about a show not because it's popular, but because of the story or art, when it doesn't matter if an anime is from the 90s or 80s or even the 2000s. Thats what I think.

P.S. I think expecting someone to watch 1000 shows just to be considered an anime fan is crazy.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 7, 2017 9:34 AM

Jun 2015
Nah, I'd say at least 50 shows completed is enough to qualify.

But of course I'd say that. Just look at my completed list :c.
Apr 7, 2017 9:50 AM

Mar 2016
I think there are not a "magical number" to become a real anime fan.

But if you watch anime from a lot of different genres and watch some no-mainstream anime, you´re already becoming a real anime fan. Because you´re looking for something harder to find and to like.

And i think that 1000 anime are too much xD
yousandroApr 7, 2017 10:11 AM

If you watched 13 Reasons Why in 13 hours in a row (like me) you got my respect !
Apr 7, 2017 9:52 AM

Jan 2017
_xDane_ said:
You're already in MAL and participating in anime forums. I think you're good to go.

This exactly. If you took the time to sign up for an anime/manga fan site & participate as you are doing now, I'd say you are already a fan. (:

im weeb trash

Apr 7, 2017 9:54 AM

May 2013
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
50-100 somewhere between there. I kinda just take people at their word when they say they are an anime fan but I like about 100 anime. My husband is not at 100 anime and does not consider himself a fan. He is around 75 anime. He only watches yaoi, shonen ai, and ghibli movies. He also loves Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon, Naruto, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Even likes trash like Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat. He pushed ME to watch that. XD He liked that the dude was trying to find a wank spot in the opening song.

I think being an anime fan is more a mindset. If my husband casually watches anime with me because he loves me and happens to find some he likes (mostly romance anime), that is nice. He tries to find ones he likes because he knows I am WAY into this stuff. Sadly, we have like opposite land taste in yaoi. And the stuff he does end up liking is always trash. hahaha. I just showed him Love Tyrant and he likes it. Granted I like it too. But that show is trash. XD Trashy goodness.

1000 is a really stupid marker that only people on here believe. Most people who go to convention I meet only have seen 50-100. Older fans will see 100-200 (by older I mean around 25). Only 40 year olds are in the 1000 club.

I'm 26 and I'm already are in there... yeah....
Apr 7, 2017 9:54 AM

Feb 2013
I think that the time watching is more important that the number of completed anime.
One could reach more than 1000 just by the multitude of shorts and music videos.
Once you get to 100 days and you aren't bored, there is no turning back.
Apr 7, 2017 10:00 AM

Jun 2011
FackuIkari said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

I'm 26 and I'm already are in there... yeah....

Don't worry. I don't judge people on here. This is the place where I don't feel so out of place with over 500. :( I don't meet people like me my own age (26) with more than me in real life. I am everyone's senpai.
Apr 7, 2017 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
You're not a real fan until you have 5000 completions.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How often is you waifu/husbando cosplayed ?

tchitchouan - 20 minutes ago

3 by Little_Sheepling »»
7 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1170 by onogatari »»
7 minutes ago

» ☀️Summer 2024: Anime of the Season (AOTS) & Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

nirererin - Oct 9

144 by jh666 »»
13 minutes ago

» Are bigger boobs really more of a draw for female characters?

fallout45 - Oct 18

26 by traed »»
37 minutes ago

» I don't understand why shoujo is so much more shunned than all other demographics. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fario-P - Apr 27, 2023

332 by Dienen »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.