Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 6, 2016 1:40 PM

May 2015
That was sooooo beatiful! <3
Nov 6, 2016 4:14 PM

Jun 2013
sbyrstall said:
jlvyn14 said:

I'm sure it's based on score level, so let's say it's based on a 100 scale
90> gold
80>silver
70>bronze
69< nothin

This is a rough guess and I'm sure it's actually based on the highest score a school got.

And basically the three top scoring schools move on to represent their regions
Correct, the results are ratings, not rankings. It's only based on their perforance, not how they did compared to everyone else. If you remember from season 1they talked about the "fake gold". The school gets a gold rating but aren't allowed move on to the next level of competition.

I was trying to search on Bing about how the Japanese rate their concert band performances vs. the US. I know in Michigan with the MSBOA you get a rating of I, II or III. If you get a rating of a I at the regional, you move on to state and get rated again. The difference is we had our two pieces and then we are given a piece to sight read as part of our rating.

Ye i performed in these type of competitions as well, it was kind of similar, but i forgot on how it worked exactly lol
Nov 6, 2016 10:59 PM

Mar 2009
This episode was perfection.
Nov 7, 2016 2:34 AM

Jun 2013
Woah I was actually cheering in real life. Damn 10/10 episode, I don't know why but the performance was just so well done and the anticipation of waiting for the results was perfect as well. I was actually really hoping that they would get chosen and when they did I was actually happy. I can't remember the last time I was so immersed in a show.
Nov 7, 2016 5:47 AM

May 2015
Just caught up with Hibike season 2, and was pretty surprised. Really thought Kyoani would make it one novel=one season.

Huh so it's probably going to be the start of the 3rd novel next eps. Ah well, if I remember it right 2nd novel has a lot of Mizore being emo so faster pacing probably the right decision.

But damn, this anime is still freakin gorgeous.
Nov 7, 2016 12:15 PM
Sep 2013
Tyordiznok said:
can anyone explain why there are multiple Gold medals?

Largely speaking

Gold =upper 20% of the total schools
Silver = middle 50 % of the total schools
Bronze = lower 30% of the total schools
Nov 9, 2016 2:11 AM

Jul 2014
MozillaFennekin said:
Man, you know how to keep me on the edge of my seat? Just show a 10-minute performance and shut the fuck up. No inner monologues giving you a recap, just some small visual cues. Great job, KyoAni.

Fucking this. Take notes all studios on how to not be stupid.

Super enjoyable performance that made sitting through four underwhelming episodes worthwhile.
Nov 9, 2016 2:26 AM

Apr 2016
Although I was as nervous af if I was playing the instrument myself, I really enjoyed this episode. Loved the music!

I expected them to win. Still, I'm happy the results were announced in this episode.
Nov 9, 2016 11:33 PM

Oct 2008
That was a great episode! Very satisfying!
Kitauji School made it to the Kansai Regional Competition!
If they place 1st on that next competition it would be the hardest, which is Nationals!
5/5.

Nov 10, 2016 10:10 PM
Jul 2018
The Blog linked below, perhaps requires an introduction before going there to read the remarkable insights into arguably the most memorable part of this episode and probably this second season so far, it's where the drama pays off ... but I'll just quote from the About section and let the blogger take care of that part of this comment as well:
"Classically trained musician (horn player for almost 20 years in all sorts of ensembles/groups) and composer with two degrees in the field (B.M. and M.M. with focus on Music Theory and Composition), I decided to do these writeups as a means to share my expertise and experiences with bands over the past 20+ years to heighten your viewing experience of Kyoani’s Sound! Euphonium / Hibike! Euphonium. I also want to draw attention to the incredible love and care put into this series that you may not appreciate should you not have the insight or extensive experience with band programs that I have [...]: https://thoraxes.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/sound-euphonium-2-episode-05/
removed-userNov 10, 2016 10:16 PM
Nov 11, 2016 2:00 AM

May 2014
Great performance in the Kansai competition, but I think it were obvious for us that they would make it to the National after all the fuss they made around that subject. But what I loved were the bond they have created among each other. During the performance we understood that everyone in the band get along each other and that beside enjoying playing in the band they all have some good friends.

I love that everyone in this band stand together. Even if they are different, have different personalities and everybody isn't so close to each other, they still have a strong bond as a band and determination to do something. I think even though it were obvious they would make it to national, this is essential for a band to stay strong and win throughout all the competitions.

Beside that, I found it very funny the jokes with Reina and Kumiko. During this year their bond have really grown very close and is much closer than they ever had in the middle school. That's nice to see. Regardless of what's going to happened through this series, they will always be my favorite ship. Adorable pic >.<

Nov 14, 2016 2:58 PM

Dec 2011
I didn't expect that the performance for the Kansai competition would be coming soon (in this episode).

Was quite nervous in watching the scenes before their performance.... and then the 10-minute-scene of the performance came. Well done, KyoAni.

Glad they managed to make it to Nationals!
Nov 20, 2016 12:02 AM

Jul 2014
The best 12 minutes in my life..
Nov 23, 2016 1:25 PM

Oct 2012
SEVEN consecutive minutes of performance!!
Nov 28, 2016 5:23 AM

Jun 2007
this is a masterpiece. if i could i'd send a buck to kyoani's paypal
see you, space cowperson . . .
Nov 29, 2016 2:55 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
That was marvelous. Beautiful.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Nov 29, 2016 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
Putting this here in stead of in the episode two thread.
Katsu-kun said:
VersoSciolto said:

Why did they change it?

removed-userNov 30, 2016 1:42 AM
Nov 30, 2016 7:28 AM
Feb 2014
Just put this here (don't know if this already uploaded on later episode poll or not) https://youtu.be/roHQZZkMcIQ
Dec 10, 2016 5:18 AM

Apr 2014
Damn, this was superb.
Dec 17, 2016 3:48 AM

Sep 2016
this episode was simply breathtaking.
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Dec 18, 2016 7:21 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Great/beautiful/Subarashii episode, they playing in the Kansai championship, and win one of the three places to go to the nationals, yes win the gold!!!

If you like the music, this is your episode, and the final was .... dramatic.... and.... tearful ; _ ;
Dec 26, 2016 1:49 PM

Oct 2013
Being a pianist who has played with my high school band at many different competitions, I totally totally understood those same feelings that everyone felt before the performance, during the performance, and after the performance. Really well done in my opinion. It feels good to remember my high school days of jazz band. Awesome episode.
Dec 28, 2016 6:13 PM

Jan 2016
Reina's solo for Kumiko paired with those flashbacks was really moving. ;c
Dec 30, 2016 5:20 PM

May 2010
Great music, nice animation, but it felt a bit weird to watch entire performance again, when it's not even the middle of the series. Imo they could have showed shortened version now, it felt a bit too, huh, big for the 5th episode.

But what do I know :v
Dec 31, 2016 1:40 PM

Jan 2013
What a beautifully directed and animated sequence.

Bravo, Kyoani, bravo!
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jan 2, 2017 1:59 AM

Sep 2016
Everyone worked nonstop and gave it their all what a spectacular performance, and great solos from kousaka bae and yoroizuka senpai definitely deserved the high appraise Gold woop
Facta Non Verba
Jan 13, 2017 9:54 PM

Dec 2010
With this episode alone I forgave Kyoani for Phantom World, Chuu2Koi S2, and the lack of a Hyouka sequel.

One of the best things I've seen.
Jan 22, 2017 4:19 PM

May 2012
Oh they actually got gold and they actually managed to go through! Quite impressive play I must say! Really lovely episode I must say! Quite intense ending, but oh so wonderful! Really loved it!
Jan 26, 2017 9:22 PM

Mar 2015
They performed the piece in all its splendor! That was definitely worth the gold and the progress to the Nationals!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 27, 2017 10:46 AM

Jul 2009
Beautiful, Asuka is amazing
Jan 27, 2017 6:11 PM

Dec 2014
Congrats to them! This piece that they've been working on for so long finally comes together! I loved the entire thing, no talking, just playing!

I cannot resist but to feel happy every single time Reina talks to Kumi. The way she changes her voice to talk to Reina is just a nice touch on the voice actor.

Can't wait to see where they will go from here! I'm expecting ALOT of drama.

I have small reviews for almost ALL anime I've seen. Unlike any regular MAL page you've seen.

Ever wondering what I've watched and what I think about it? Check my List out below!

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Iam_Jermaine
Feb 1, 2017 4:41 AM

Oct 2012
Play it for Kumiko! Those two... too cute xD

I think that was an exact same song from season 1
But I won't compain, that was so beautiful

What a genuine smile, aww
Rayl1ghtFeb 1, 2017 4:45 AM
"Signature removed"
Feb 6, 2017 2:54 AM
Mar 2012
Sapphire salute!
Asuka, very motivational & honest speech, finally much needed respect points for her.
Aw Yoroizuka much cuter now, playing for Nozomi talk, dat head pat. Follow up main ship Kumiko & Reina, yuri or Taki "stuffy, overheated" lol dialogues are great. Kaori deathflag (not really). Yuuko turning a great character by each ep.
Mikazuki no Mai performance felt perfect, the two solos were expressive esp the change with Yoroizuka, fingering animation detail, eye gazes & everything just awesome & Taki looks hot, also really psyched over closeups of the barotone sax.
Feb 21, 2017 10:42 PM
Apr 2015
Amazing performance Kumiko & co, and of course, behind the scenes, unbelievable work by KyoAni - they continue to set the bar for animation quality.

Cirris said:
Tyordiznok said:
can anyone explain why there are multiple Gold medals?

it's a grading system. much like the alphabet grading system used in western schools.

If a lot of schools worked hard and preformed well, they'd all get "gold". Like an "A" on a math test. But only the top 3 move on.

Kumiko called getting a Gold but not making the next round a "dud gold". It was what Reina and her dealt with in middle school.

I wonder if this system was introduced by the "everyone gets a gold medal" movement.
Apr 23, 2017 5:58 PM

Jun 2013
An episode of goodbyes and triumphs; the start of a new journey. A focus on the question, who is each individual member playing for?

It was a nice surprise that they animated all of the second piece. Now it makes sense why they left out the oboa solo in the season one finale, Mizore made a much bigger impact this way. The little photos of the members that we don't follow closely were especially a nice touch. The little flashes of Kumiko and Reina's hike scene during the trumpet solo warmed my heart the most.
LeeTailorApr 23, 2017 6:04 PM
Jun 8, 2017 2:50 AM

Jan 2014
One of the best episode from the entire serie. It was so great, can't find the words
Oct 19, 2017 1:19 AM

Feb 2014
I was getting goosebumps during that entire performance. I would have been pissed if they didn't make it into the nationals after that.
Nov 3, 2017 1:42 PM

Oct 2015
Finally the competition is here and they gave a splendid performance infused with memory flashbacks. I now respect even more to what they do its heartwarming & joy to watch, filled with charismatic hope. That gold is well deserved after all the hard work they put in their practices and hardships, now its the nationals to represent Kyoto.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 28, 2017 3:23 PM

Jan 2011
Wow! Although it was obvious who was going to the nationals, I was maybe more nervous than the Kitauji musicians themselves, like I was standing with them behind the curtain with an instrument in my hands … And it was an awesome piece of music, too! I enjoyed it very much, brings back memories from Nihon, too. ^^
Feb 6, 2018 8:59 PM

Dec 2014
Perhaps the best episode of any anime I have ever watched. Never imagined I would experience a full 7-minute performance with no interruptions at all, just pure music bliss and an enthralling animation/direction work.
Feb 13, 2018 6:05 AM

Dec 2015
Feelsgoooood, it was pretty obvious that they would make it through yet still amazing to still see them go to nationals.

The animation throughout the performance was just impeccable, everything was animated to the song down to the fingering and keys which makes this series so nice to watch. Some scenes were pasted from s1 but at least we got to hear the whole song alongside Mizore's solo.
~
Feb 16, 2018 1:56 PM

Aug 2009
Oh man, this episode is perfect. I never get tired of seeing these characters perform.

KyoAni, y u so good.
5/5
Apr 27, 2018 6:01 AM

Nov 2016
Very powerful episode and easily the best performance so far.

Nationals here we go.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 17, 2019 4:27 AM

Feb 2018
The Yuri bait is strong with this episode.
I can't get enough of Kumiko and Reina interactions

The performance was spectacular, glad they made to the nationals, that last scene with kumiko reina and mizore was great
Jun 22, 2019 8:25 AM

Feb 2018
Looks like their appearance is quite good.
Jul 25, 2019 4:03 AM

Mar 2018
Great Performance, looking forward to what comes next

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Jul 25, 2019 8:06 AM

Jun 2017
God the Great Director of the Anime of Life: OK, I can give you 1.5s worth of screen time, no speaking lines. Sorry but we're on a budget here. So, what do you want to do?
Me: This.

Aug 1, 2019 5:17 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Powerful Performance there but an Equally Great Buildup, an Exemplary Comeback Episode for me!

Mid-way into the episode when they cut off Taki-sensei’s intro, I was sure that they’d skip the performance and dive right into the results but I’m so glad they didn’t. Another fitting example to ‘action speak louder than words’, just them playing that same music with a few notches up here and there was .. amazing! KyoAni making sure to get even the tiniest details down to perfection is simply just mind-blowing! And then the ultimate results, I’m glad they didn’t try to beat around the bush here because it was fairly obvious that they’d go through but decided to handpick a few of the Characters and their wishful expressions. Natsuki-senpai’s “D-Don’t worry” there was brilliant and then that shot of Hazuki and her hugging in joy was just a treat for me to watch. Kumiko was really starting to get in the groove early this episode but seeing her tears of joy just goes to show how much she’s grown over the past 18-20 episodes from ‘whatever’ to ‘sure, let’s go to nationals’ and now ‘let’s go to the nationals!’.

Little Reina and Kumiko moment before the performance taking the idea from the Mizore-Nozomi duo was really nice, especially that “please and thank you” from Kumiko. Gah, Kumiko’s VA during Reina and Shuichi scenes is just the best! Mizore’s smile in the end there was really nice to see too, but it’s amazing how she wasn’t least bit concerned over the results lol. Anyway, that aside, it’s sad that the two assistant teachers’ will be leaving now but here’s to hoping the Club manages to take their lessons to heart and perfect them in advance to the Ultimate Nationals. I’m expecting a lot of drama to come in advance too (still another handful 8 episodes after all) so definitely looking forward to those! Hopefully, Taki-sensei and Asuka-senpai will each get an Arc!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 24, 2019 4:51 AM
Sep 2019
The competition was soooo great! Every time I see these kids playing, I feel the need to give a round of applause - and I do!
And I can't believe I missed the post credit scene, when results were given... I entered the next episode thinking: Did I miss something?
I am very proud of you all, Kitauji!
Dec 25, 2019 3:50 AM

Apr 2013
I have to admit I wasn't entirely sure if they would make it, but of course this way they can continue the story with the nationals. As usual an amazing performance of Kitauji and KyoAni.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

shanimebib - Dec 21, 2016

228 by teraphIl1000 »»
Mar 25, 11:09 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.