Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 16, 2016 7:18 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, Asuka's mom is a strict lady. Really even a slap?!

Honestly, with the pressure because of powerhouse schools, I think that drama got a bit intense. This episode show that expectations are high for the schools to compete at a National level. I do like how Taki explains his own position as well regarding the situation. The performance they put up together this episode seems decent, quite natural imo. Asuka's a talented person and I think she knows that herself. The expectations for her to succeed is quite high.
Stark700Nov 16, 2016 7:26 AM
Nov 16, 2016 8:14 AM

Nov 2007
As expected Kumiko takes the front row yet again when something was about to happen as she witnessed the entire scene involving Asuka in the teacher's room.

Asuka's mother had her share of concern but she didn't bat an eye seeing Taki-sensei praising her daughter. She wouldn't reason to anything and she didn't even let Asuka complete her sentence and hit her. But immediately after that she came to her senses that she did something terrible to her daughter. What hurt the most wasn't seeing Asuka being slapped, it was how she calmly asked Taki-sensei to permit her to skip club activity for the day and go home with her mother. The way she gently held her mother's hand and led her into walking was another glimpse of how mature Asuka is and loves her mother no matter what.

Loved it how Asuka was swarmed by her group the moment she appeared in front of the door. While she reassured everyone that everything would be fine, she held back Natsuki for a talk (of you know what, if worst comes to be.)

The bond between the three third years is shown yet again when the two took Asuka for a talk. But I really thought Asuka's seiyuu did an amazing job, the way her voice wavered a bit when she showed them her back, and then she came back to her normal perky self as she requested the two of them not to discuss this to the point it might become a mess.

For the first time for real, Asuka's importance in the story (and why she is a protagonist in the novel) is shown to us the viewers. The entire band is gravely affected with the news of Asuka might have to quit. At a first glance, Taki-sensei deciding to end the club activity for the day and the way he left the scene might seem heartless of him, not even waiting to listen to what Haruka had to say (this immediately follows an episode where Kumiko says she is glad to have him as their instructor) but he probably wanted his students to solve it within themselves. Which happened eventually as Haruka took a firm role and talked about how everyone's put Asuka in a position where she is thought to be someone really special when Asuka didn't think that herself. The things that she said was important for the entire band and get everyone's spirit back, most importantly, probably their belief on themselves and the entire team as a whole. Amazingly enough, Haruka grew in this episode a lot as she seemed to have gained some confidence that she seemed to have lacked (which is then backed by her conviction to perform the solo and actually going through it without a hitch). Do I need to say how adorable Yuuko has actually become in this season? She really helped break the silence in the end of Haruka's speech that brought back the liveliness on the dejected faces which was of course followed through by Natsuki's retort, breaking the ice as everyone giggled. This whole scene was an amazing showing of how they have become close as a band over the last few months.

And then we get a special moment, I wonder if anyone noticed how Hazuki became a bit confident, not because of Midori's chop and the scolding that followed, or Kumiko's out of nowhere approval of Midori's words but because of a simple look of approval from Reina. How the story evolves through so simple short scenes never fails to amaze me.

Loved it how everyone was surprised to see Asuka showing up. Everyone must have worried a lot despite putting it aside as they practiced such that Asuka would be glad to have returned. Riko cried yet again (Gotou, control your girl!). Did anyone notice how Kumiko shoved Shuuichi aside and ran towards where Asuka was? He is so unloved, lol.

Do I need to mention the masterful performance in the end? It was amazing to see them perform like the way they did. Can anyone please let me know if there's a link for the piece online or was that anime original?

Btw, Takeda's latest novel's heroine (Azusa) makes an appearance in this episode. The highlight from her part was not only cheering Kumiko on but the way she let it out that Kitauji is pretty cool as she saw them perform.

A well rounded episode and next up is Mamiko.

5/5
shanimebibNov 16, 2016 8:22 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 16, 2016 9:50 AM

Sep 2010
Kiauji's doing a station concert right before the national competition!

That slap...

I'm glad the band, especially Haruka, stepped up when Asuka was temporarily gone.

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Nov 16, 2016 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
This episode felt weird to me.

Like Asuka being slapped and being nice to her mother sucked, and it showed how awesome a person she was I liked that.

But it was mainly all the "Don't worry about me" stuff. So she doesn't come to school, or band practice and her band mates thinks she quit, okay that's that. however she comes back after being gone for a month and just rejoins the club, no questions asked. So what the hell was she doing this past month?

Also I thought there would have been at least some one on one interaction between her and Kumiko but it just ended up being Asuka and Natsuki and even then we don't know what Asuka talked to Natsuki about.

Now it seems like it will go right into an episode abotu Kumiko's sister being dramatic and possible no questions being answered =/

The performance was nice though and the Bond between Midori, Hazuki and Reina is getting better as well.

shanimebib said:

Did anyone notice how Kumiko shoved Shuuichi aside and ran towards where Asuka was? He is so unloved, lol.

Haha I noticed that. While she did shove him, I think if it was anyone else she would have just gone around or said "Excuse me" which in my opinion makes their "friendship" somewhat stronger.
SoraSenpaiNov 16, 2016 10:10 AM
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Nov 16, 2016 10:05 AM

Sep 2015
Noooo I hope Asuka didn't leave the club since she's one of the most interesting character in this anime

I wouldn't appreciate a slap in front of this many people xD
Nov 16, 2016 10:11 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Awkward situation with Asuka and her mother. Honestly though, i don't see a right way to deal with it that seems reasonable. Her mother seems to be really oppressive and Asuka couldn't hold her fassade forever.

But she is lucky that she has the club that supports her in any way they can. Haruka and Taki-sensei were the big winners in achieving this. Great how especially they handled the situation.

I liked how Haruka struggled in the solo but made it through at the end, must have been an amazing feeling for her.
Nov 16, 2016 10:18 AM
Aug 2015
Excellent episode! I really liked how they handled Asuka's story in this episode. The slap was horrible, but wow, Asuka acted like it was nothing and even took her mother's hand! I was moved!

I was afraid that she would definitely quit the band but thanks to her not being there for some time, the band realized that they should keep on working hard, especially Haruka. I'm glad she actually came back. Their performance was amazing! I really enjoyed it.

It's a shame that during some episodes we got shoujo-ai fan service and too much drama because this episode cleary shows that Hibike can be really good without it.
Nov 16, 2016 10:25 AM

Dec 2014
Pretty good episode, Little drama heavy.

Not liking Asuka's mom at all, She was acting like a tyrant, Going so far as to even slap her.
I really like how Taki sensei refused to take the resignation unless Asuka herself wanted it.
Based on what Asuka's mom said I guess that she divorced Asuka's dad who used to play the same instrument? She does particularly say "You're playing that instrument to get back at me"

It is quite interesting to see how much of an influence Asuka has on the band, Her charisma is something they've grown dependent on.
Haruka made a really nice speech, I think that was my favorite part of the episode.

One month later, Asuka comes back and performs. No questions asked. Well that's good an all but I'm interested in what she did.

It was nice seeing Midori, Reina and Kumiko cheer Hazuki up. :)
Nice performance at the end, Props to Haruka for the solo. She was really awesome this episode.

Complaints? There wasn't enough Reina for me. XD
Nov 16, 2016 10:34 AM

Jul 2012
Kinda expected situation about Asuka and i hope she resolved it during that month.
The station concert was pretty cool, the little choreography part felt a bit refreshing and the best thing was obviously Haruka's solo!
Nov 16, 2016 12:04 PM

Feb 2016
Liked Haruka's Solo so far, seems like Drama is getting intense ep by ep... hmmmm this episode sure flew so fast
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 16, 2016 12:26 PM

Aug 2013
I would like to go to their concert.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 16, 2016 12:29 PM

Jul 2016
An episode where the band performs is always welcome. Great scene for Hazuki when Reina gave her approval. It takes a certain something to get Reina to even acknowledge you. They're giving a group vibe like that of the EDs now.

Asuka really is a hard nut to crack huh? Figures she isn't the type to let her personal problems affect the band in the same way she can't stand other people's personal issues affecting the band (Sapphire last season, Nozomi this season). Seeing her hold her arm while her mother was having a tirade was quite painful- even more so than the slap for me. Kyoani really did well in demonstrating that she, too, was human.
Nov 16, 2016 1:34 PM

Dec 2012
Intense episode.
Asuka's Mum is strict & intense. Yes Exams are important, but there was no need to slap Asuka. Completely unnecessary.

Glad Taki Sensei didn't accept her resignation.
The whole band feeling uneasy with Asuka not being around.

Natsuki & Yuuko are hilarious as always. Great to see them diffuse the tension in the band.

Wonderful Station Concert Performance. Nice Solo by Haruka. Good to see Asuka make it.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 16, 2016 1:37 PM

May 2010
I still have no idea why Hazuki and Sapphire are listed as main characters when even some side characters appear more than them. Reina and Kumiko are the only two MCs imo.

Asuka's mom seems to have problems severe than average cruel anime mom. Maybe out of her feelings that she had to raise Asuka alone. She still loves her as she regretted it quite intensely later. Still on the wrong side tho.

Kumiko is so cold to Shuuichi I love lol.

Proud of Haruka.
Nov 16, 2016 1:40 PM

Aug 2011
Another good episode. That Haruka solo is so cool.
Nov 16, 2016 2:03 PM

May 2015
Still so many things I'm curious about, so I hope to find out soon. That performance was really good, though. Especially the solo.

Great episode.

Nov 16, 2016 2:08 PM

Feb 2014
I wasn't expecting Asuka to be slapped by her strict mother in front of Taki-sensei like that, but I'm glad Asuka took the whole thing in her stride and successfully calmed her mother down. Taki did the right thing in refusing Asuka's forced resignation form.

With the rumour mill in full swing about Asuka leaving or not, the whole morale of the band fell off a cliff. But thanks to Haruka stepping in, the band's morale returned to normal...

...and that led to the performance at the station, which was really catchy and brilliant. Haruka's solo was impressive and you can tell how much effort she had to put in without making any mistakes. She did a fantastic job! =D

Looking at the end of the episode though, I wonder if the focus will be on Kumiko's sister and her problems next time? If so, then I hope her problems will be resolved. =)

Once again, it was another enjoyable episode! =D
Nov 16, 2016 2:33 PM
Oct 2016
I would expect that Asuka made an agreement with her mother. Like she knows that she is really talented and that she could be good without a lot of training that month. So she agrees to concentrate on the exams and stuff and still get to play at the competitions. Clearly that isn't the best way, especially for the harmony of the band but it's better than nothing and in the end it could still be better this way then playing with Natsuki as the second eupho. Guess that is what Asuka and Natsuki had a talk about that she has to become better to take Asukas position.
Nov 16, 2016 2:37 PM

Nov 2007
SoraSenpai said:
shanimebib said:

Did anyone notice how Kumiko shoved Shuuichi aside and ran towards where Asuka was? He is so unloved, lol.

Haha I noticed that. While she did shove him, I think if it was anyone else she would have just gone around or said "Excuse me" which in my opinion makes their "friendship" somewhat stronger.

But Hazuki-chan followed up with an apology (look closely as she is seen talking with Shuuichi).

Damn, KyoAni is great with follow ups!

SoraSenpai said:
Also I thought there would have been at least some one on one interaction between her and Kumiko but it just ended up being Asuka and Natsuki...

You'll get plenty of that so wait!

One of the best moments of this episode was also when Haruka looked towards Asuka —

As if she was saying "Watch me perform. This is for you!"

And Asuka simply looked at her with a look of acknowledgement.

unheardperson said:
Great scene for Hazuki when Reina gave her approval. It takes a certain something to get Reina to even acknowledge you.

Yes. But this also shows that Reina has started to open up to others little by little. It goes back to the swimming pool episode when she decided to join Kumiko and her friends. In the previous season, you wouldn't see her waving 'bye-bye' to anyone but she does that to Hazuki (in episode 5) when the train departs. In the past, you wouldn't see her with anyone else except for Kumiko but here she is seen sitting very close to Hazuki and Midori.

This amazing smile was Kumiko's solitary property in the past —

But now Reina has enchanted Hazuki with her smile too, just like she did it to Kumiko. ❤

She is slowly but surely making it into the group of Hazuki, Midori and Kumiko. Reina is changing and it makes me happy seeing her character develop.
Coronavirus.
Nov 16, 2016 2:38 PM

Mar 2008
ASUKA D: Hated the idea of her potentially having to leave the band, she's really my favorite next to our MCs. Her mother is really strict isn't she going as far to slap her was just unnecessarily mean (complaint on the character not the series) but Asuka seems to be able to take the strained relationship between her mother. Hard to break (17?) years of that I suppose if Asuka's mother had to raise her by herself.

The band's morale sinking during Asuka's absence was profound, it's easy to see why even if Asuka isn't present as a character on screen I can imagine her usually positive spirit and upbeat attitude rubs off on everybody and just brings the club's spirits up and it's clear her underclassmen really respect her.

Love when we see the band perform they always have great tunes. I assume they're picking from a host of real tunes commonly performed by bands. Beats having to play Shenandoah all the time lol.

Another great episodes this week.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Nov 16, 2016 2:46 PM

Jun 2011
Asuka's mom showed signs of bipolar disorder, but I can understand why she did what she did. It's really easy to discount her as "strict" and "mean" when we don't have the full disclosure of her family's situation.

The jazz band performance was pretty alright. It was somewhat marred by them all standing up and swinging CG style. I expected better from Kyoani. Hate how they try to sneakily add CG thinking the viewers won't notice. Other than that, another solid episode.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Nov 16, 2016 2:52 PM

Apr 2010
Well more trouble on the horizon.
I guess things still need to be solved before the nationals.
And i guess Asuka still has some things to solve with her mom.
Nov 16, 2016 3:18 PM

Jan 2012
Well, as I expected, this episode attempted to make Asuka sympathetic. And...nope, felt no sympathy for her at all. Sorry show, maybe you'll have better luck with Onee-chan next week.
Nov 16, 2016 4:26 PM

Jan 2011
damn some serious issues going on with Asuka's mom doesn't seem like it's been resolved yet so i was kinda surprised how they didn't let Kumiko or really any of the characters meddle to much into her problems she was like"i won't drag you guys down" and she still ended up making it to the performance (was pretty cool enjoyed the solos.

And while it isn't the end of Asuka's backstory there's already been a storm brewing with Kumiko's sister which looks like we'll be looking into soon,looking at her now and season 1 some shit has happened to her D: .
Nov 16, 2016 4:56 PM

Aug 2013
dramas keep coming like there's no end
I don't even mad..

Sapphire playing bass is so badass actually?!
Nov 16, 2016 5:30 PM

Oct 2012
The drama was bit overdone.. In triangle hierachy-centric Japan it's absolutely not possible for a teacher to oppose a parent in such way. If he did he wouldn't be a teacher for much longer. I understand there is a message this anime tries to tell and it's also a criticism of such society but it wasn't very realistic to do it in such way.

Another questionable thing is whether she would be even permitted to play wiith the when she was missing for whole month not having any training with them at all (not to mention her part was totally different... I mean no one is such genius or prodigy to play a part without any preparation whotsoever.

Also, Kumiko said the gossip spread in no time but she was the only one who saw that and I believe teacher would urge her to keep it to herself for Asuka's sake (also another quirk of japanese society, pretending there is no problem no matter what). And to put in the scene with Mamiko at the end just to make her still relevant as her conflict moved nowhere this time... it was also needless.

Other than that it wasn't bad episode, it was okay actually, it just wasn't on par with previous ones.

Just a sidenote: when they started stepping sideways during the performace I had to laugh hard as not only it was really awkward to do that because they wouldn't keep up with their breath but it also felt really comical.
Mich666Nov 16, 2016 5:37 PM
Nov 16, 2016 5:40 PM
May 2009
Mich666 said:
The drama was bit overdone.. In triangle hierachy-centric Japan it's absolutely not possible for a teacher to oppose a parent in such way. If he did he wouldn't be a teacher for much longer. I understand there is a message this anime tries to tell and it's also a criticism of such society but it wasn't very realistic to do it in such way.

Another questionable thing is whether she would be even permitted to play wiith the when she was missing for whole month not having any training with them at all (not to mention her part was totally different... I mean no one is such genius or prodigy to play a part without any preparation whotsoever.

Also, Kumiko said the gossip spread in no time but she was the only one who saw that and I believe teacher would urge her to keep it to herself for Asuka's sake (also another quirk of japanese society, pretending there is no problem no matter what). And to put in the scene with Mamiko at the end just to make her still relevant as her conflict moved nowhere this time... it was also needless.

Other than that it wasn't bad episode, it was okay actually, it just wasn't on par with previous ones.

Just a sidenote: when they started stepping sideways during the performace I had to laugh hard as not only it was really awkward to do that because they wouldn't keep up with their breath but it also felt really comical.

The subs were actually mistranslated, Asuka was only absent for a week.

Also I don't think Kumiko was the only one who saw the incident as I remember there being other students there at that time.
AquaHazeNov 16, 2016 5:44 PM
Nov 16, 2016 5:40 PM

Jun 2015
TragicRomance said:
I still have no idea why Hazuki and Sapphire are listed as main characters when even some side characters appear more than them. Reina and Kumiko are the only two MCs imo.

+1
i think asuka as a mc are more better than that 2 girls
Nov 16, 2016 5:57 PM

Aug 2012
-Competition ensemble and team Monaka playing together in the station concert. There really aren't too many instances of this in the series.
-Turns out Asuka had already filled out a resignation letter from what seems to be the concert band
-Turns out it wasn't her own intentions and her mom's a few steps off of the deep end
-Riko was fuckin adorable when Asuka showed back up to school
-Technically Asuka never said anything about returning, just that she wouldn't be a burden to anyone anymore
-Yuuko's starting up drama again
-The fact that Haruka was giving that speech to the band after Taki cut their practice short was both heartbreaking and heartwarming
-Station performance was alright, but a little lackluster aside from Haruka's solo
-We still don't know what Asuka wanted to talk about with Natsuki

So I somehow had tons of empathy toward Haruka in this episode that I don't recall having in the first season. Something about the whole Asuka thing just made her seem a bunch more admirable. It's probably because her way of speaking is just really down-to-earth and her ability to step up like that in spite of her insecurities about her leadership abilities. Other than the Haruka stuff (and the moment when Asuka first returned to the bass section) nothing in this episode really stood out to me, though.
Nov 16, 2016 6:20 PM

Nov 2007
SilveRR said:
The subs were actually mistranslated, Asuka was only absent for a week.

Also I don't think Kumiko was the only one who saw the incident as I remember there being other students there at that time.

+1

When I watched it I was sure I heard Kumiko said it was one week. But then after seeing so many comments, I thought it was probably a month and I misheard. Upon re-watching having read your comment it turns out "Asuka-senpai ga bukatsu nakunatte isshukan ga tsugi te ita" which should have been translated to "Asuka-senpai didn't show up for the club activities for the next one week."

Well, CR did manage to make Taki-sensei turned into Reina's father's acquaintance in the first season when it should have been Taki-sensei's father.

Also, we can see a few other first years in the staff room, so it was probably through them the incident became known. Kumiko's reaction when Asuka apologized to her makes it believable that it wasn't her who shared the incident; despite of having a terrible personality (with a running mouth), I doubt she would talk about it in the public seeing how she managed to keep it within her during the Mizore-Nozomi incident.
Coronavirus.
Nov 16, 2016 6:51 PM

Feb 2009
okay, since i know it's supposed to be "Week" and not "month" i feel better. but there are some things that are irking me.

why couldn't we see reina smile at hazuki more so i can start my fanfiction.

what was the point of kumiko even being there if she never spoke to asuka about it other than to spread said rumors?

also, why would they just allow asuka to show up randomly and play? rikka high would never let no bish get away with that ..this is NATIONALS baby...

um, also i wished for more reinaxkumiko. don't know why they even had this episode it was so not to par. OH! MY OCD ITCHED AT THEIR SIDESTEPPING. I DO NOT LIKE UNSYNCHRONIZED SIDE STEPPING.

Nov 16, 2016 7:00 PM

Dec 2014
Asuka's still my favorite character in this show. This episode cemented that.
Nov 16, 2016 8:00 PM

Jun 2015
Great episode, props to Asuka for hanging in there despite the pushback from her mother and pressure from exams. The thing that stuck with me most though was that sexy as hell baritone sax solo. Sheesh. Haruka can get down when she wants to.

From the ending I guess next episode will have some Kumiko and onee-chan drama...
Nov 16, 2016 8:02 PM

Jul 2011
Yeah, a couple subs that bothered me here and there. The mistranslation made me chuckle though, how could Asuka not show up for a month? xD

unheardperson said:
Asuka really is a hard nut to crack huh? Figures she isn't the type to let her personal problems affect the band in the same way she can't stand other people's personal issues affecting the band (Sapphire last season, Nozomi this season). Seeing her hold her arm while her mother was having a tirade was quite painful- even more so than the slap for me. Kyoani really did well in demonstrating that she, too, was human.

Agreed. This episode showed me again why I love Asuka. Her personality, values (not a drama-initiator), and the way in which she handles things I can really emphasize with and respect her for it.

They didn't need the CGI sidestepping though. That was so awkward looking.
Nov 16, 2016 8:05 PM

Mar 2013
Ah, yes, there's the excuse I was looking for to elevate the score of this show to a 9.

Still got, what, 5 episodes left, to give me an excuse to elevate that to a 10.
Nov 16, 2016 8:41 PM

Jan 2016
Neromon said:
They used a bit more cg for the performance this episode than usual. It was still very beautiful, but I'd say it's my least favorite of the four performances we've had in the series, though it's significantly less important as well.
They did use a bit more challenging but I loved the backgrounds!!!! They were gorgeous
“Don't think about what you need to do. Just follow your desires.” - Aoi Ryuuhei (Baby Steps)
Nov 16, 2016 8:42 PM

Oct 2016
wow this episode is pretty intense with asuka's mom making her daughter to quit in the band .. and haruka's determination to play the solo and as rikka said she is "badass" but im glad they perform well despite what's going on in their club
Nov 16, 2016 8:49 PM

Nov 2009
ThreePercent said:

-Yuuko's starting up drama again
-The fact that Haruka was giving that speech to the band after Taki cut their practice short was both heartbreaking and heartwarming
-We still don't know what Asuka wanted to talk about with Natsuki

Not sure how did you interpret it in that way but no,Yuuko didn't start a drama. Everyone knew about Asuka problem the same way as how Yuuko knew it. Yuuko asked Taki-sensei the question that everyone in the room what to ask but no one had the gut to do and it was good thing that she did. It also show that she herself care about Asuka as much as everyone do.

I thought It was pretty easy to guess what Asuka wanted to talk about with Natsuki. If Asuka has to quit, someone need to replace her position in A-team right? They can't let Kumiko goes solo.
Nov 16, 2016 9:03 PM

May 2013
Damn the CG hate is real itt, it's true though kyoani doesnt need it.

Im guessing Asuka won't be practicing anymore but will still be there for the performances.
Nov 16, 2016 9:23 PM
May 2014
for someone who claims to be heartless i have cried in every episode so far. and told every character that i love them
Nov 16, 2016 9:32 PM
May 2016
A bit heavy drama episode. I'm not used to a sad Asuka, I really felt bad for her. I can say she's a strong girl, which she doesn't want to cause any trouble for the club and instead keep her problem on her self.

Next episode seems like about Kumiko's sister, looking forward to it.
Nov 16, 2016 10:18 PM

Dec 2013
SappFIRE!!!!! Midori on the bass guitar gets ALL MY YES!!!!

Was expecting Asuka's mom to stir up drama considering how much of that was in her characterization for the first half of the season. Knowing the real reason why though, I have to say that I've never understood the deal with single parents and the way that works in Japan. It just leaves so many kids with so much baggage.

Again with the last episode, there really wasn't all that much going on, but I did love seeing the character interactions here, specially with the second year girls.

Haruka's sax solo was passable, but it was great to see her finally realize that the band has her back.

Looking forward to the reveal of Mamiko's issues. Kumiko's last line sounded downright depressing.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Nov 16, 2016 10:20 PM

Nov 2007
fst said:
Ah, yes, there's the excuse I was looking for to elevate the score of this show to a 9.

Still got, what, 5 episodes left, to give me an excuse to elevate that to a 10.

Yes, you are right. If I am not mistaken, this has 5 episodes left. From past records, most of the TV shows in MX runs until December 24th (Dec 23rd in NA). Going by that, the last episode will air on Dec 21st, which will be the 12th episode (technically 13th, given the fact that episode 1 had the length of 2 full episodes). Only few shows have aired in the final week of the calendar year in the past. So, at this point, we can write off the 28th of Dec for a 13th episode (technically 14th).

As for the ratings, I found my excuse after episode 5 to give this a 10/10. Not a single episode of any other anime in the entire Fall season could beat the level of perfection the anime reached during the Kansai competition.

Checkout @VersoSciolto's post in episode 5 discussion on that regard:

VersoSciolto said:
The Blog linked below, perhaps requires an introduction before going there to read the remarkable insights into arguably the most memorable part of this episode and probably this second season so far, it's where the drama pays off ...
https://thoraxes.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/sound-euphonium-2-episode-05/
Coronavirus.
Nov 16, 2016 11:06 PM
Mar 2016
The title of the piece is "Treasure Island" by Takarajima 宝島(Takara jima)
Nov 17, 2016 12:21 AM
Dec 2008
Kaori and Buchou having some screentime espeically the later beasting out with the sax solo. Yuuko and Natsuki banter always entertaining and surprisingly uplifted the mood of the band. Team monaka joining the performance. A small & rare interaction between Hazuki and Reina. Azusa making an appearance and of course Kumiko shoving Shuichi because why not. Overall a very good episode, willing to look away from the blatant QUALITY and popping CGI because of great content.
Nov 17, 2016 2:30 AM

Jun 2013
Hell yea a Bari solo I loved to have Bari sax solos when I was in jazz band.

Cool carribean beat type song, drama was interesting, the mom was whack
jerrrgeFeb 11, 2017 4:18 PM
Nov 17, 2016 2:50 AM

Dec 2009
That sax solo reminded me of the one from White Album 2, though not quite as much impact wow factor.

Really nice episode with lots of twists and turns. Learning not to rely on the most talented is a good growing experience, it keeps you on top of your own progression. Conveniently timed because story writing, but it did a good job, i saw what it was going to come to a mile away.

shanimebib said:
Checkout @VersoSciolto's post in episode 5 discussion on that regard:
VersoSciolto said:
The Blog linked below, perhaps requires an introduction before going there to read the remarkable insights into arguably the most memorable part of this episode and probably this second season so far, it's where the drama pays off ...
https://thoraxes.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/sound-euphonium-2-episode-05/
Holy damn. I knew it was spot-on accurate just by looking at it (it's not every day animation goes to such an extent) and trusting my intuitive eye (watching finger movements to sound and the sounds being what you'd expect of that motion), while personally knowing virtually nothing about these instruments, only acoustical physics. But damn that blog analyzed the living shit out of it, showing the music sheets and referencing particular techniques behind the choreography of the scene is really cool.

KyoAni puts passion and a half into their animation (even if they don't always animate things with superb story)... They're well deserving.

This series is a difficult one to rate for me. I really have little to no interest in brass instruments, or the idea of school bands, so this show doesn't speak to me much personally. The drama also kinda feels like it's a side-show. Visually it's absolutely fantastic, the use of depth of field, vignette, boke, bloom and hdr, brilliant environment lighting, not to mention the girls are all freaking beautiful and the animation detail in just the most mundane of motions is so captivating...
GenesisAriaNov 17, 2016 3:08 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 17, 2016 4:15 AM

Nov 2015
I believe in Asuka, as the best girl she will find a way through all of this. I appreciate the Haruka screen time. Buchou did well with her solo. I loved their performance at the station, specifically when they get up and move left to right all together. Animation gets me everytime, even the tiny little detail such as sweat dropping or Reina's small piece of hair drops down when she moves her head up while playing (20.40)
Nov 17, 2016 4:24 AM

Jul 2007
Ah thanks for the heads up guys. I was also buffled at that part. One month is way too long for her to come and perform like nothing happened. Basically if she was missing for a month half of the episode hardly made sense. Aside from that it was a spectacular episode. Damn it I love this series. Completely agree with what @shanimebib said. I enjoy how you also noticed the small details like Kumiko pushing Suuichi and then Hazuki apologizing. I didn't notice (but imo that makes KyoAni work even more admirable. The attention to detail really matters and so far they deliver!)Also yeah Hazuki getting confident just from a nod of acknowledge from Reina. <3 Their relationships/interactions are so well made. I can't wait for mooooore! So glad we got a second season.
Nov 17, 2016 4:26 AM

Apr 2016
DarcyD said:

why couldn't we see reina smile at hazuki more so i can start my fanfiction.

Another fanfiction with a Reina still in love wit Taki-sensei?
Many here like to suffer.

also, why would they just allow asuka to show up randomly and play? rikka high would never let no bish get away with that ..this is NATIONALS baby...

It's not the nationals, that's also why Hazuki is playing. It's not that important. Furthermore it's not because we didn't see Asuka training that she didn't, at home or or even before she stopped coming to school. last but not least it was stressed several times that Asuka's playing is way above the others, so we can suppose she learn faster and play good enough for a performance which is not a competition.

@Mich666

Taki sensei stated he was somewhat rebellious when he was young so it seems logical to me that he doesn't care as much as others for codes and hierarchy. On the other hand he seems to have a higher sense of moral. It's true though, that it doesn't make life easier and can cause problems for his career. Maybe he had no problems this far because it's the first time he was confronted with a moron like Asuka's mother. It's a matter of bad luck to meet those people that cause problems.

Asuka's mother is one of this type of people I hate and try to avoid in real life. It was hard to look at this.
Ysad_ZiwezhanNov 17, 2016 4:39 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

5 by lurking_darkness »»
Apr 20, 6:21 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

shanimebib - Dec 21, 2016

228 by teraphIl1000 »»
Mar 25, 11:09 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.