Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 3, 2016 8:18 AM

Apr 2016
Cashdax said:
Hibike Euphonium will save Fall 2016

and fall 2016 is saving the year.

There are 3 to 4 shows this fall I find really good (2 on paar with hibike even though they are very different (3-gatsu and Haikyuu!!)) and they are already all better than the "ok" feeling I've got from spring and summer seasons (winter was good though).
Nov 3, 2016 8:50 AM

Nov 2011
Finally there is a bit of space with regard to the cast, even if it is just a series of faces, it is vital to understand the audience, which is the collective focal point of the entire series, not just those few characters shown so far , in addition to music. I hope that in the future, be given more space to all those who are the supporting actors. Since also underline the fact that in this episode was not spared on performace scores, even if at the expense of the plot. somewhat predictable ending, even though the long wait has given still some thrills. Excellent script, and graphics quality.
Nov 3, 2016 9:21 AM
Apr 2015
randelus said:
LOVED this episode, im so glad they showed us the their entire performance, i was moved to tears it was so good!!! (btw does anyone know the name of the piece they performed? i like it very much).
Honestly the first 4 episodes were too much drama-filled (typical for kyoani tho) for my liking and i was kind of disappointed but this ep totally made me fall in love with hibike again.

The piece is an original composition done for the show by Akito Matsuda, titled 'Crescent Moon Dance'. It's the same piece they played on the finale of Season 1.
Nov 3, 2016 9:51 AM

Mar 2013
Fuck really, couldn't maybe the author of the LN a sequel LN-series make about? Because I'd Kumiko's and her friends in their whole Kitauji-time see, not just the 1 year where the plot spins....xD
Nov 3, 2016 10:33 AM

Dec 2014
Excellent episode. You can definitely tell from the performance how hard these students have practiced playing their instruments. Even though I knew they were going to succeed, it was still great to hear them get called out and the way it was directed, I actually thought someone might end up making a mistake somewhere but that didn't happen.
I need sleep.
Nov 3, 2016 10:59 AM

Jul 2015
The visuals, the art, the animation, the attention to detail is on another level compared to everything else this season.

It's clear that Kyoani actually cares about this show.
Nov 3, 2016 11:07 AM

May 2010
Not my favorite episode tbh. The attention to detail was great but the way they jumped to the concert didn't me feel hyped???
I did love the whole "I will play for you." DEM YURI VIBES IN THAT SCENE

Good episode tho. Attention to detail was great during the performance. And I love how far Yuuko has come.

The last one min was very nice.
Nov 3, 2016 11:25 AM

Apr 2016
Just gonna leave this and log out.

Nov 3, 2016 12:19 PM

Jun 2008
lonelytree said:
Excellent episode. You can definitely tell from the performance how hard these students have practiced playing their instruments. Even though I knew they were going to succeed, it was still great to hear them get called out and the way it was directed, I actually thought someone might end up making a mistake somewhere but that didn't happen.
I was thinking that the whole time during the performance, "don't mess up...don't mess up...don't mess up." In fact when Asuka looked at Kumiko I thought Kumiko messed up or something.

BTW, I could tell a huge the difference in the performance between this and the season 1, especially with the oboe (Mizore).
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Nov 3, 2016 12:43 PM

May 2015
Oh who would guess?! They going for nationals.

Alterantive ending: they fail - end of s2.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 3, 2016 2:25 PM
Jan 2009
This was a great episode, I love how much efforts Kyoani puts into this show.

However I can't get the same vibes than with the first season. The first season was a great anime, but now it's just "good". I think it's because of the writing, I wonder who's doing the storyboard this time.
Or maybe it's just because most of the secondary characters are unlikable (not Sapphire and her friend though). Or because it seemed that Kitauji failing at the Regionals had no chance to happen. Or because the drama of the 4 first ep felt stupid to me. That's a lot of reasons actually.

Overall, while it's looking amazing, I'm disappointed by this second season.
Nov 3, 2016 3:33 PM

Feb 2008
A splendid performance. The teasers featuring Reina and Kumiko were also delicious.
Nov 3, 2016 3:49 PM

Feb 2008
Perfect episode since the first one. I'm glad the music is back to the core of the series.

Don't get me wrong, I did not dislike the whole Mizore drama but I felt that the training camp went to a secondary place instead of being the main point of 2-3-4 episodes. Didn't feel the training camp to actually matter because everything was fast and the whole Mizore arc happened.

I have listened to Horie Namikawa's piece far too many times but this one was from another level. I kind of expected still frames, but KyoAni doesn't care, they just animate.

I would have just liked to see the whole 'effect' of the training camp, because they are going to Nationals now. Really happy for these girls
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Nov 3, 2016 4:07 PM

Aug 2015
I never thought in this episode they would perform. .___.
Nov 3, 2016 4:50 PM

Jul 2013
FrozenRaider said:
Oh who would guess?! They going for nationals.

Alterantive ending: they fail - end of s2.

Not really. I was half-expecting they'd throw a curve ball and make them fail. More drama ensues until they are finally ready to move on and prepare for next year's competition. I mean the main casts are still first years anyway so that's possible. They'd just do away with Asuka and finally qualify under Yukko's leadership next season.
Nov 3, 2016 6:15 PM

Oct 2013
Kyoani managed to make the performance gripping. Reina and Mizore aced their solos and it was a nice touch to show Kumiko smoothly play the section she was struggling with before. It was cool the way she and Asuka exchanged glances just after that part. Also the cut-away shots to the girls waiting back stage and how tense they were, especially Hazuki.
Nov 3, 2016 8:54 PM
Nov 2010
Wow. Being in high school band myself, the attention to detail for the animation blew me away. They just recorded every instrument and player and then animated it: from the euphonium fingering after the trumpet solo, the bells (chimes), xylophone, the timpani crescendo's, the snare roll entrance at the end, but most of all the woodwind fingering's- for the flute and oboe trills especially. Felt like I was in band again. The thing that makes this anime so different is the recording and mixing of the instruments. You can hear everything except probably the brass valves and woodwind pads hitting the instruments. It's like you're sitting among the players playing with them. It's not the kinda sound you would pick up in the audience, sitting in the audience seats. I felt like one of the best parts besides after those solo's was that silence right when you heard Taka-sensei breath in. Was such a nice convincing touch that really sucked you into those seconds before you played. Pun intended.

Aside form that, the juxtaposition of their hardwork, memories during the solo but especially that oboe solo just got me so emotional. The girls sitting in the back peeking out the curtain and praying just really conveyed that feeling of hope and desire to win.

Probably the only thing I'd say could've been more accurate was the conducting from a farther distance away- and probably the way musicians move their upper torso's as they musically phrase things. Probalby the best example of that was the timpani player, the way she sort of leaned into her drums as she crescendo'ed.

How they gonna beat this episode? Felt like the end of the season. xD They taking it all the way to nationals by the time it ends? =o

Oh. And this:
MozillaFennekin said:
Man, you know how to keep me on the edge of my seat? Just show a 10-minute performance and shut the fuck up. No inner monologues giving you a recap, just some small visual cues. Great job, KyoAni.
Ditto my friend. I felt like it was christmas getting to see the whole song played in full with no words whatsoever. I mean, after all that hard work, you can't cut any part of the song. It's so gratifying.
Nov 3, 2016 10:04 PM
Jul 2016
Really dug the wind ensemble transcription of Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini when Kumiko was watching the TV (performed by Osaka Toushou)...Rachmaninoff at it's finest
Nov 4, 2016 12:43 AM

Sep 2015
THIS is Fall 2016 savior.
Their performance was really breathtaking, especially when Asuka glanced at Kumiko many times and when Kumiko looked spaced out, I thought they were failing! So tense!!
Nov 4, 2016 1:25 AM

Jun 2013
This was a very good episode. Loved the performance sequence (sound and visual wise), showing everyone's music scribbled all over and covered up with pictures of their friends. What a great way to show the bonds these students have forged through their shared experience in music. Also, when you enjoy what you play, you get to know your music by heart. Having the music on paper becomes a formality.

And that oboe solo really stood out (could've sworn someone was chopping onions in my apartment). Major props to the likely-to-remain-unknown musician who delivered that wonderful performance.
Nov 4, 2016 4:37 AM

May 2015
fuking kyoani boys beautiful
Nov 4, 2016 5:14 AM

Jun 2008
zeroj said:
Don't get me wrong, I did not dislike the whole Mizore drama but I felt that the training camp went to a secondary place instead of being the main point of 2-3-4 episodes. Didn't feel the training camp to actually matter because everything was fast and the whole Mizore arc happened.
The whole band camp went way to fast. I would have loved to have seen a lot more interactions, band camp traditions being created, some romance happening, even to hear the sectionals. Don't go the way of "American Pie", but there could have been a lot of stories, even if they had created a couple filler episodes to show it. The only disappointment about this season so far, but a minor one I can overlook.
Dodecahedron-O24Nov 4, 2016 5:29 AM

Nov 4, 2016 5:18 AM

May 2013
MozillaFennekin said:
Man, you know how to keep me on the edge of my seat? Just show a 10-minute performance and shut the fuck up. No inner monologues giving you a recap, just some small visual cues. Great job, KyoAni.

this, I was so worried someone would start talking during the performance
Nov 4, 2016 5:50 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Up till now this was my highlight episode of this anime. It looked really good and the fime flew by like nothing.

Im curious why they decided to put the most emotional and most important part of the episode right at the end - even after the ending. Some people might have turned the episode off by then "oh, its the ending, guess the episode was good", but then missed the best part.
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Nov 4, 2016 6:34 AM
Aug 2015
Hibike! Euphonium Season 2 - Episode 6 :
Nov 4, 2016 7:38 AM

Sep 2016
really good performance, love it. listening to a trumpets orchestra it's not something i lesson every day.

As a former music student when i listen to a concert performance i get chills in my back. Knowing all the tension and feelings when you get on a stage with a theater full of people. it's funny how an anime can bring up those feelings

Do not take life too seriously.
You will never get out of it alive.

Nov 4, 2016 10:09 AM

Oct 2011
It's been a while since an anime last made me cry with the characters.
Nov 4, 2016 12:24 PM

Jul 2016
"tomorrow is the Kansai Competition" Oh... Wait, what!? I never thought it will move this fast.

The performance, seriously, when that trumpet solo start, it really got me right in the feel, and right after that solo quite make me remember my best friend, and almost shed a tear. I never understand music, but I'm pretty sure this is very good.

Really love this episode, it is really good at expressing their feeling, through music of course.
easy 5/5 from me.
Nov 4, 2016 4:42 PM

May 2013
kyoani have gotten better, never thought it could be possible.
Nov 4, 2016 6:42 PM
Mar 2015
The most intense 10 minutes. They are working hard and deserve to get highest appreciation

I am so moved that with the result :")

And that Yoroizuka senpai smile
Nov 4, 2016 6:54 PM

Aug 2012
-Hashimoto's speech and Mizore's response to it were both adorable
-Kinda interesting how close Azusa and Kumiko still seem to be
-It's already competition day and it had less of an atmosphere set up for it before competition day that the prelims had in the previous season
-But maybe that was just because I marathoned the last season and watched this season as it was released
-It actually looks like they did all the atmosphere-setting was done in the backstage segments
-How do they read their music with all those pictures pasted in there
-They showed a bunch of musical fingerings during the performance itself, and they seemed to be pretty accurate.
-Man I couldn't stop pausing during the awards ceremony. The atmosphere was pretty real when it came to that.

This episode was mostly focused on making the sound production and performance visuals the best they could, rather than developing character relationships, which is totally fine. The musicality of this show is probably my favorite thing about the show, and they totally nailed the atmosphere during the awards ceremony. I still think that the atmosphere of the Kansai concert had less riding on it than the preliminaries, actually. In the first season, the Kitauji band was mostly a ragtag group of musicians that showed up with no track record and a bunch of dedication to improving, and the regionals were their first real opportunity to prove themselves. I guess the Kansai competition is just themselves making more of a name of themselves. Not to say I didn't like their Kansai performance, though. Reina's solo and the euphonium soli were reminders of how the band as a whole had progressed within the last season, and Mizore's solo served as an indicator of how the band has progressed within this season. The parting speeches of Niiyama-sensei and Hashimoto-sensei also accomplished the latter, so I guess it was an effective progress check.

TL;DR, Performance was fine, but the performance at the end of S1 made more of an impact on me
Nov 4, 2016 8:26 PM

Aug 2011
I'm so glad KyoAni animated the performance without any dialogue over it, nor cuts. This is what I wanted for ep 13 of last season. I guess they waited till now to go all-out! xD
Nov 4, 2016 9:31 PM

Sep 2011
I feel like they skipped a ridiculous amount of time between the last episode and now. Still, I was complaining last week about how this season is near unrecognizable due to the amount of drama and the lack of music, so I am glad I was served a massive, satisfying helping of music this week.
Nov 4, 2016 11:29 PM

Aug 2008
The yuri teasing is real. The music is beautiful. KyoAni is redeeming themselves.

Like holy shit man. That was like half an episode of pure music. Beautifully pleasant to the ears too.
Nov 5, 2016 1:40 AM
Aug 2016
This episode have post credit scene, so you must watch the end of the episode !!!

This episode do what I wanted for the 13th episode of the first season. PLay all the damn crescent moon dance without any comment !!! If they did that in the last episode of the 1st season, it will be an amazing and epic ending.

But, here, in the middle of the 2nd season, the effect is not so great. First thing, I listen crescent moon dance in complete version so much now, so it's not a discovery. Ohter thing, this performance it's not for me, an accomplishment of the previous episode. Previous episode was a full drama, and not music plot, that's why if this scene was for the final episode of season one, the sens of this performance would be so meaningful. That means for me the plot of this first arc of "go to the national", was not very good and this episode have very cheap theme. The only element of the plot they lead to a better performance is the introduction of the two new sensei, and a better perfomance of Yoroizuka senpai, it's so poor if you compare to the arc to "go to the Kansai selection"

The good thing is we can hear the improvement of some passage. But I don't like Reina solo here, I largely prefer the one in the first season, I'm a bit disappointed.
Other bad point for me, is the animation of this scene. There no ensemble point of view, too much focus on one player, and it is an orchestra, a group performance, so. It hard to animated a so long music, but i think Kyoani could done so much better.

For me, a big flaw of this season it is the band don't play new music for the competition, so hard to do a great musical scene, everything was alreaady done in the first season.
And also, too much yuri bait without meaning in that, unlike the 1st season
Nov 5, 2016 9:33 AM

Dec 2013
This my friend is an art. You literally can screenshoot any scene and you'll always get a beautiful wallpaper. KyoAni shows us their supreme animation-coloring including such an amazing lighting works.
They paid attention to the tinniest touch, precision and such, as if this episode were a movie. Combined with such a beautiful music? Gg
WilhelminaNov 5, 2016 5:49 PM
Nov 5, 2016 11:11 AM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode with amazing animation and music.
Not surprised they made it to nationals.
Nov 5, 2016 2:52 PM
Nov 2013
I personally thought this was the best episode of Fall 2016 so far.
Nov 5, 2016 8:12 PM
Oct 2015
Just rewatched it for a second time, I'm still overwhelmed with emotion. I have been considering since the end of season 1 to put this in my top ten. Rewatching it confirmed it, Kyoani really did something special with this show.
Nov 5, 2016 8:50 PM

Jun 2013
So shiny!! XD

Seriously though, I absolutely love how much detail went into the fingering during the performance. I'm glad they played the whole song. I wonder how they'll end this series if THAT was just episode 5.
Nov 6, 2016 1:36 AM

May 2014
Best episode for this season so far... that performance was intense and just gave me goosebumps. The 10 minute performance was really enjoyable.

Loved the Kumiko X Reina moments this episode, and Taki-sensei looked awesome as well!
5/5 AMAZING EPISODE KYOANI
Nov 6, 2016 2:50 AM

Feb 2013
Reina's solo made me tear up, and the moment of Kumiko having flashbacks of Reina ;---;

Nov 6, 2016 3:02 AM

Oct 2009
I can't wait for the OST to come out.
Nov 6, 2016 3:12 AM

Sep 2015
Wow another stunning episode. I think the animation was as good in this episode as it's been all season, particularly in the band's performance scene. I'm curious what plots and characters the show might utilize going forward as it seems to have concluded most of the ones it had set forth in the first half of the season like oboe and clarinets reunion and the two assistant teachers who bid their farewells in this episode. Kumiko and Reina are so cute together I hope this show really goes full yuri (which at this point it almost seems silly it hasn't), Reina dedicating her solo to Kumiko made me smile.
Nov 6, 2016 3:16 AM

Jun 2013
Tyordiznok said:
can anyone explain why there are multiple Gold medals?

I'm sure it's based on score level, so let's say it's based on a 100 scale
90> gold
80>silver
70>bronze
69< nothin

This is a rough guess and I'm sure it's actually based on the highest score a school got.

And basically the three top scoring schools move on to represent their regions
Nov 6, 2016 6:30 AM

Apr 2015
A little quick but outside of that perfect, I'm giving out the first episode 10 of the year. Sounds trite but I think this reignited my love for HE

From the first season on the 'yuribait', actually the close conv.s between Kumiko and Reina are sooo well written. Delicate, tense and so gripping
Nov 6, 2016 8:27 AM

Sep 2015
Episode 5 made me happy. The competition was very entrancing. Great main character too, I must add. The animation feels really well made. Hope the cast can make it to the end.
can dis sig fit
Nov 6, 2016 11:32 AM
Apr 2014
Wow. They didn't end it on a cliff hanger. I have to say I'm surprised, Well on the other hand it would have been weird if they didn't get the spot.
Nov 6, 2016 11:51 AM

Jun 2008
jlvyn14 said:
Tyordiznok said:
can anyone explain why there are multiple Gold medals?

I'm sure it's based on score level, so let's say it's based on a 100 scale
90> gold
80>silver
70>bronze
69< nothin

This is a rough guess and I'm sure it's actually based on the highest score a school got.

And basically the three top scoring schools move on to represent their regions
Correct, the results are ratings, not rankings. It's only based on their perforance, not how they did compared to everyone else. If you remember from season 1they talked about the "fake gold". The school gets a gold rating but aren't allowed move on to the next level of competition.

I was trying to search on Bing about how the Japanese rate their concert band performances vs. the US. I know in Michigan with the MSBOA you get a rating of I, II or III. If you get a rating of a I at the regional, you move on to state and get rated again. The difference is we had our two pieces and then we are given a piece to sight read as part of our rating.
Dodecahedron-O24Nov 6, 2016 11:55 AM

Nov 6, 2016 1:10 PM

Feb 2015
Another stunning episode. KyoAni is really getting this one right.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

shanimebib - Dec 21, 2016

228 by teraphIl1000 »»
Mar 25, 11:09 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.