Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 16, 2023 8:33 PM

Jun 2014
So, I am wondering how many of y'all here have an interest in Korean media alongside Japanese media?

While I like the anime art style, I also find myself liking the Korean artstyle found in manhwas. I actually don't consume that much Korean media beyond watching a couple episodes of Squid Game, and I want to watch Tower of God eventually.

I don't really care for K-Pop, though.

What are your thoughts on Korean media?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 16, 2023 9:51 PM

Feb 2020
I don't really care about it so much. Not a big fan of K-Pop either.
Nov 16, 2023 9:59 PM

Mar 2021
Haven't delved into it much due to a lack of time in my life, but I've seen a few Korean movies that were definitely interesting. Basically, from my limited exposure to Korean content, what I have concluded is that:

_K-Pop isn't really my thing, and the same goes for J-Pop. Though, most of the time, I lean towards J-Pop. Also the Japanese music from the 80s, 90s, and even the early 2000s, is goated so nothing comes close to it.
_Manga, as a form of media, ranks among the top for me. However, I don't get the same feeling for Manhwas. They seem a bit too westernized and manufactured, if that's the right word for the feeling I get. Even if a manga is not great, it still has something unique about it, like a man-made vs AI-generated kind of feel.
_I haven't watched much of the animated Korean stuff, so I can't comment on that.
_The only Korean media form that I find superior to its Japanese counterpart is their live-action productions. I don't know why, but I get a similar kind of excitement when watching a Korean movie as I do when watching an anime. I always expect something out of the box and weird, which blows my mind. Korean science fiction is just way ahead of Hollywood, for sure.

𝓜𝓪𝔂𝓫𝓮 𝔀𝓮 𝓽𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓭 𝓽𝓸 𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪𝓼 𝓶𝓾𝓬𝓱 𝓶𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓸𝓯 𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼𝓮𝓵𝓿𝓮𝓼 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓮𝓪𝓬𝓱 𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓫𝓮𝓬𝓪𝓾𝓼𝓮 𝔀𝓮 𝓴𝓷𝓮𝔀 𝓸𝓷𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝔀𝓮 𝔀𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭𝓷'𝓽 𝓫𝓮 𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓮𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓷𝔂 𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓮
Nov 16, 2023 10:00 PM

Oct 2023
Apart from a very few Manga I'm (in general) not into anything Asian, be that food, music, books, video games, movies, lifestyle, culture, or etc.

...simply not my kind of thing nor interest.

(and perhaps another and only memorable mention), I somewhat like Kim Jong Un, a very charismatic character in a specific way.
OthalasMetalNov 17, 2023 9:49 AM
Nov 16, 2023 11:03 PM

Feb 2018
Yes. I have been getting into it a lot past couple months. I listen to Twice, new jeans, itzy, zico often. I think i'll give Show me the money a try too.
Some manhwa i have read are Begining of the end, Solo leveling, Greatest estate designer, etc.
I have watched a lot of kdramas too now. Move to Heaven, Extraordinary Woo Young Woo, the glory, juvenile justice.
https://mydramalist.com/profile/MyT
I find it kind of odd how many western weebs don't like or give korean content a try too. Korean content is unironically very popular in japan and china too.

If you are a friend. Visit my profile to recommend me something to watch ( ^▽^)ψ__
Nov 17, 2023 12:52 AM

Jun 2016
Not really. I read some Korean comics and I wasn't a big fan, three Korean movies that I thought were ok and their pop music is insufferably bad. While I know this isn't representative of their entire entertainment industry, I wasn't left with a positive first impression.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 17, 2023 1:00 AM

Jan 2021
Only read some manhwa. Not interested in K drama or K pop.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Nov 17, 2023 1:04 AM
Jul 2018
Not really,tried watching God of Highschool and didn't like it,also not a fan of kpop or k drama
Nov 17, 2023 1:47 AM

Feb 2018
It's been growing on me more and more lately. Think Squid Game was my first K-drama and now I've watched more of the genre since Netflix is filled with them. BLACKPINK is the only real K-pop group I follow, but I do have a "in the background" kpop girl playlist while I'm playing games. Think it has stuff like Twice, Nayeon, Red Velvet, Itzy, etc. My YouTube algorithm has been filled with korean vloggers lately for some reason. I guess it doesn't help if I keep clicking them lol. I've only read the "essential" manwha so far, but they do have a lot of smut if that is your thing.

Speaking of manwha, just read Tower of God instead. Art is pretty mediocre compared to stuff like Solo Leveling, but the anime unfortunately skips a lot of content. Though it wasn't as bad as God of High School.
Nov 17, 2023 1:50 AM

Aug 2014
The South Korean live action film Oldboy has my favorite opening scene out of any movie. (Turn on closed captions.)

Nov 17, 2023 1:50 AM

Jul 2021
Manhwas >> Mangas
I watched one TV show and like 2 movies...
K-pop is horrible.
Nov 17, 2023 2:02 AM

Jan 2013
Kdramas are great. I need to read some more manhwas as well.
I like korean media
Nov 17, 2023 2:56 AM
Sep 2023
Speaking only for Kdrama. Those caught my attention atm, but still couldn't find the right time to watch it in full.
Nov 17, 2023 3:49 AM

Jun 2017
I listen to some K-Pop. I haven't tried any K-Drama yet, but I think I'll check one out one day. There's a bunch of them on Netflix, so why not.
Nov 17, 2023 3:54 AM

Dec 2015
Anime - I've experienced very tiny bit of it so can't say
I don't listen to K-pop, not to mention that I maybe heard only 2-3 songs

While I do enjoy alot Korean dramas/reality shows which are available in Netflix and I've had ton of fun with those:
Devil's Plan, The Uncanny Counter, D.P., Jevunile Justice, Good Bad Mother, Bloodhounds, Siren - who will survive the island?, The Glory, Physical 100, Tommorow, All of us are Dead, Hellbound, My Name, Kingdom, Squid Game
Nov 17, 2023 4:00 AM

Feb 2018
Reply to Zettaiken
Anime - I've experienced very tiny bit of it so can't say
I don't listen to K-pop, not to mention that I maybe heard only 2-3 songs

While I do enjoy alot Korean dramas/reality shows which are available in Netflix and I've had ton of fun with those:
Devil's Plan, The Uncanny Counter, D.P., Jevunile Justice, Good Bad Mother, Bloodhounds, Siren - who will survive the island?, The Glory, Physical 100, Tommorow, All of us are Dead, Hellbound, My Name, Kingdom, Squid Game
@Zettaiken I think you'll like prison book, Extraordinary Attorney Woo Young Woo, Move to heaven. Itaewon class is fun.
Juvinille justice really tested my patience, it's really looong slow burner.
You know Bloodhound kind of got axed at the end, the main actress got caught in some dui controversy and they rushed and cut it short to 8 eps. Pisses me off that such a good martial arts series got rushed like that.

If you are a friend. Visit my profile to recommend me something to watch ( ^▽^)ψ__
Nov 17, 2023 6:54 AM

Jan 2023
Not a fan of K-Pop, only manhwa I’ve read is Solo Leveling though I’ve heard of others, K-Dramas are pretty nice to watch with some really good gems out there like Itaewon Class which I’d highly recommend.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Nov 17, 2023 7:12 AM

Feb 2020
I've seen bits from of things from Korea.

I've seen a few of their movies - mostly Dinosaur or Kaiju movies. I think Pulgasari is genuinely good, even though it's still crazy that a director from the South was kidnapped and sent to the North to make it.
The Koreans seem to keep suitmation movies going for a little longer than other countries, and I really like suitmation.
So I don't mind them, but still think that Japan does it better.

The Korean Anime I've seen so far is very CGI-heavy and more like Cartoons, still prefer Japanese stuff.

Manwha is ok, but I really struggle reading the characters' names.
Nov 17, 2023 7:34 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Not really but for korean drama i love their history theme like this one

Nov 17, 2023 7:39 AM

Sep 2019
Personally i never exactly explored much Korean media aside from Kpop but maybe one day i'll try to get into other stuff like K-Drama shows though.
Nov 17, 2023 7:53 AM

Jul 2014
Korean thrillers are in a league of their own. Parasite, Oldboy, I Saw The Devil...all masterpieces.
Take care of yourself

Nov 17, 2023 8:07 AM
Dec 2022
Oh, great. It's my time to shine.

I grew up listening to North Korean music and children's songs when I was in kindergarten from CDs I got from my relatives. My two Chinese uncles do business with North Korea since the 1990s to present, albeit in different service sectors.

I started to learn Korean when I was in the first year of middle school with 4 textbooks with CDs attached along with 90s K-pop and R&B. On and off studying along with staying in South Korea for 2 years all, but I completely mastered it this year. My TOPIK level was level 4, which is quite high, decently enough to understand a South Korean university-level lecture.

Now about the media, I like to watch Korean documentaries, mostly about travels, as well as Korean 3D animated series with girls to enrich my inner child. I also watch South Korean vtubers and thankfully they often put subtitles.
Nov 17, 2023 8:13 AM

Jul 2022
I like kpop and I have watched a couple of kdramas that were really good. I am a bit out of touch with the latter one because of the length of episodes and lack of time. I listen to kpoip occasionally, but the concepts and music gets a bit repetitive over time, so I usually keep it to my favs. I like manhwas and many of them deserve way more attention (About Death comes to mind).

The aspect I dislike is the way they treat their famous personalities and how cancellation is trendy. Not to mention that if you really get into the Korean entertainment business, it is a scary thing - the way fans hold power over every sigle thing, the lies, the lack of any sort of privacy, the pretense and expectations ...meh.
but that still doesn´t mean there isn´t any quality content in the form of music (not just the "most well known artists") or movies, tv shows. I really want to check out Korean anime in the future.
I am out with lanterns looking for myself.

-- emily dickinson --
Nov 17, 2023 8:15 AM
Dec 2022
Reply to effy_
I like kpop and I have watched a couple of kdramas that were really good. I am a bit out of touch with the latter one because of the length of episodes and lack of time. I listen to kpoip occasionally, but the concepts and music gets a bit repetitive over time, so I usually keep it to my favs. I like manhwas and many of them deserve way more attention (About Death comes to mind).

The aspect I dislike is the way they treat their famous personalities and how cancellation is trendy. Not to mention that if you really get into the Korean entertainment business, it is a scary thing - the way fans hold power over every sigle thing, the lies, the lack of any sort of privacy, the pretense and expectations ...meh.
but that still doesn´t mean there isn´t any quality content in the form of music (not just the "most well known artists") or movies, tv shows. I really want to check out Korean anime in the future.
effy_ said:
I really want to check out Korean anime in the future.

@effy_ Korea's animation industry mostly dominates in making 3D animation for kids under the age of 11, along with stop motion animations.
Nov 17, 2023 8:41 AM

Nov 2023
I used to read ecchi manhwa. Just for the lolz.

I like the sound of JPop more so, I don't really listen to KPop.
Nov 17, 2023 9:48 AM

Aug 2011
I read manhwa from time to time, and occasionally watch K-dramas (I’ve seen a few dozen).
Nov 17, 2023 10:12 AM
Jan 2021
Yes. I watch Korean tv shows even though I currently don't know Korean.
Nov 17, 2023 12:17 PM
Jan 2019
I ocassionally listen to K-pop (as in, just listen to the songs I vibe with, barely know any groups or members) and I dabble into the manhwa side of bl. You could write a whole essay on it, but I prefer bl manga to bl manhwa overall.
Nov 17, 2023 2:04 PM

Oct 2013
No idea. Havent really consumed any. Theres a Korean game or two I want to try if they ever come out. I watched Oldboy if that counts.
Nov 17, 2023 3:06 PM

Jun 2015
tried but that language sounds filthy, cant stand it. yuck. the artstyle looks cheap cg too.
Nov 18, 2023 12:35 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Korean media, at least, the kind that gets popular over here is a disease. I'm sure there's some good stuff out there, but practically everything I've seen seems to breed some of the most insufferable fandoms.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Nov 18, 2023 6:35 AM

Aug 2022
Yes, I regularly watch Best Korean media.
Nov 18, 2023 6:45 AM

Jun 2019
Jihyo is pretty cute but that is about it.
Nov 18, 2023 7:12 AM

Feb 2018

Korean Traditional Women's Fashion can be charming...

after all; the Korean "Hanbok" was Mangaka Minene Sakurano's obvious inspiration
when designing her most well-known character, the Moon Goddess Shaorin;

MasterTasukeNov 18, 2023 7:19 AM
Nov 18, 2023 2:51 PM

Apr 2015
I do but it's not such a deep interest that I'd spend time researching it's history or cultural background. Not long ago I was being nostalgic for late 2000s and early 2010s k-pop. It was such a fun period with some good dance bangers.
Nov 19, 2023 5:26 PM

Oct 2020
I was a bit interested. Read some manhwas , tried watching k-dramas and getting into K-pop. But I'm not really big on those things tbh
Nov 20, 2023 3:37 AM

Feb 2016
(assuming we're talking about South Korea specifically)

No. The only good parts of Korean modern media, that I've seen, is just aping Western culture but in a more formalistically extreme and shallow manner.

Japanese modern media used to be like this also during the mid 20th century (not nearly as much as Korea is now but it's still a reasonable comparison imo) but has grown into it's own dimension now. Korea will probably do the same as the limelight calcifies into something coherent.
Nov 20, 2023 9:18 AM

Aug 2017
The only Korean movie I've watched so far is Gisaengchung / Parasite (2019, dir. Bong) which I really liked

As for music, I've listened to Parannoul and Mid-Air Thief (and PSY way back in the day when he took YouTube by storm)
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Nov 20, 2023 11:17 AM

Nov 2017
I do, actually. Besides K-pop, I enjoy Korean cinema. I haven't gotten into any K-dramas yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. I should ask some of my friends 'bout 'em
Nov 20, 2023 9:23 PM

Feb 2018

back around 2000-ish, one of my Uncles had found this Yoo Seung Jun album on the street... and made a CD-R copy of it for me;

- i haven't actually listened to it in ages now... but i do recall rather enjoying the second track on the disc;

MasterTasukeNov 20, 2023 9:35 PM
Nov 21, 2023 9:11 AM
Dec 2022
Oh, yeah. I forgot about this. Taiwanese folks really love the 90s male pop duo, Clon.

My much older Chinese cousin is obsessed with this 90s light rock from South Korea, "Like those mighty salmons swimming against the current of the river". Yes, this is the actual title in English and you can listen to this below.

Nov 21, 2023 4:38 PM

Apr 2012
I like some Korean artists and watch Korean dramas from time to time. Otherwise, I'm not that familiar with Korea and Korean culture.
Nov 21, 2023 5:58 PM

Dec 2016
They've made some pretty good live-action films. Outside of that media, not really interested in anything else from that country.
Nov 21, 2023 6:28 PM
Nov 2019
I haven't consumed that much Korean content to have a preference. Train to Busan, Parasite (movies) and Tower of God (manhwa) are the only Korean things I have seen so far and they were ok enough.

But the language feels good to the ears and people highlighting the quality of K-dramas makes me feel to try them out in the future.
Nov 21, 2023 9:46 PM

Oct 2022
Read a lot on Korean manhwa and watch some anime adaptations, but I don't care on much on the K Entertainment Industry. It's too scandalous and people there are like American enterprises, but worse
HyroSanNov 25, 2023 8:52 PM

Nov 22, 2023 8:25 PM
Dec 2022
North Korea needs some love.

When I stayed in China, I enjoyed Daedonggang beer from Pyongyang when I was at a fried chicken place run by a Chaoxian lady.
Nov 22, 2023 9:41 PM

Aug 2012
Not a huge fan of K-pop. A lot of friends of mine tried to get me into it though.
Their manhwa were good. I noticed that many of them have become a bit risqué lately.
Games are amazing.
Dramas are alright. Not a huge romance fan. I do like their historical dramas, especially Great King Sejong.
Nov 22, 2023 10:20 PM

Jul 2016
The occasional manhwa from time to time otherwise not really.
Nov 22, 2023 10:51 PM
Nov 2023
Curious about the community's interest in both Korean and Japanese media. Personally drawn to the Korean art style in manhwas, though my exposure to Korean media is limited. Not a big fan of K-Pop. What are your thoughts on Korean media. Craft lifelike scenes and immersive environments effortlessly, as V-Ray's advanced features deliver photorealistic results with unmatched precision. So Use[url='https://ativadorpro.com/vray-ativadorpro]Licença Vray 3.6 Sketchup [/url] fully free.
DannycavillNov 23, 2023 11:07 PM
Nov 23, 2023 5:21 PM

Feb 2016
I don't know of much Korean media beyond Cubix, Parasite, and Gangnam Style. I don't particularly like any of them.
その目だれの目?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

70 by TheMechaManiac »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Apr 18

22 by _Nette_ »»
57 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

54 by traed »»
1 hour ago

» whats your shoe size ?

sussybakagirl420 - Mar 22

27 by cody »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

24 by Zedlin »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.