Forum Settings
Forums

'Sword Art Online: Progressive' Light Novel Gets Anime Project

New
Sep 19, 2020 8:34 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The 11th and final episode of the second cours of Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld ended with an announcement on Sunday that Reki Kawahara's Sword Art Online: Progressive light novel is receiving an anime project. Aniplex also opened an official website, revealing a teaser visual (pictured) and announcement promo.

Synopsis
"There's no way to beat this game. The only difference is when and where you die..."

One month has passed since Akihiko Kayaba's deadly game began, and the body count continues to rise. Two thousand players are already dead.

Kirito and Asuna are two very different people, but they both desire to fight alone. Nonetheless, they find themselves drawn together to face challenges from both within and without. Given that the entire virtual world they now live in has been created as a deathtrap, the surviving players of Sword Art Online are starting to get desperate, and desperation makes them dangerous to loners like Kirito and Asuna. As it becomes clear that solitude equals suicide, will the two be able to overcome their differences to find the strength to believe in each other, and in so doing survive?

Sword Art Online: Progressive is a new version of the Sword Art Online tale that starts at the beginning of Kirito and Asuna's epic adventure—on the very first level of the deadly world of Aincrad! (Source: Yen Press)

Kawahara began penning the side story novel featuring illustrations by abec in October 2012, retelling and expanding the original series' Aincrad arc. Kadokawa published the sixth and latest volume in May 2018.

Kiseki Himura (Just Because!) began drawing a manga adaptation in Dengeki G's magazine in June 2013 before switching to Dengeki G's Comic the following April. The manga covered the first two volumes of the light novel and ended in February 2018. Kadokawa released the seventh and final volume in May 2018.

Yen Press licensed both the light novel and manga adaptation in English in 2014 and shipped the seventh manga volume in December 2018 and the sixth novel volume last July.

Announcement

Note: The video is region-locked; click here for an alternative link.

Official site: https://sao-p.net/
Official Twitter: @sao_anime

Source: Dengeki Online

Sword Art Online: Progressive on MAL
VindstotSep 19, 2020 7:59 PM

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 19, 2020 8:42 AM
Dec 2010
I wanted GGO S2, not this.
Sep 19, 2020 8:44 AM

Dec 2015
Finally, but where is the Moon Cradle Arc?

Sep 19, 2020 8:45 AM
May 2016
This could be interesting, I've heard great things about this version of the story

Looking forward to it
Sep 19, 2020 8:47 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Aincard, best arc of the franchise 'bout to come back stronger! Now, that's what I like to see. Really looking forward to this!

Goobye to Aliciazation by the way. I'd my issues with it especially towards the end but it's been some watch since Fall 2018.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 19, 2020 8:48 AM

Feb 2020
Haven't seen the latest episode yet, but nice! I have high hopes for the remake.
Sep 19, 2020 8:49 AM
May 2015
HELL YEA!!! This the true SAO bois...This is what SAO should have been and they're actually adapting it xD xD!!!

To anyone who's wondering what SAO: Progressive is. It's basically a reboot of the Aincrad arc. This time, the story actually covers each floor.

Sep 19, 2020 8:49 AM

Feb 2014
So, the SAO remake is getting an anime, so SAO is getting a remake of some sorts.
Sep 19, 2020 8:51 AM

Feb 2019
poggers, really hyped for this ngl.
Sep 19, 2020 8:52 AM

May 2012
Even though Alicization is overrated, I say more SAO is always welcomed.
Sep 19, 2020 8:52 AM

Jan 2019
I liked Aincrad arc and it's the arc that defines the series. I haven't read Progressive though. So for those who have read, is it going to be even better?
Sep 19, 2020 8:53 AM
Jun 2020
So, this is like a reboot of the original SAO? Excited to shit on it.
Sep 19, 2020 8:53 AM
May 2016
Ataraxya said:
Finally, but where is the Moon Cradle Arc?

That's a shorter arc isn't it, maybe it'll get something later down the line, like a precursor to unitial ring adaptation, a movie, or an OVA series
Sep 19, 2020 8:56 AM

Mar 2014
A reboot of the Aincrad arc with a longer and more fleshed out story? YES PLEASE.
Sep 19, 2020 8:57 AM
May 2016
Dragevard said:
NG_Chloe said:
This could be interesting, I've heard great things about this version of the story

Looking forward to it

I heard great things about Alicization and it ended up to be a rushed pile of garbage like the rest of the series.

Solid point, but rushed aspects seemed to be from cramming too many light novels into too few episodes
Sep 19, 2020 9:02 AM

Jan 2020
Read the first volume of the light novel a few years back and I'm actually pretty excited for this!

I have pretty high hopes rn but i guess we'll see

Bandori is love <3 Bandori is life <3
Sep 19, 2020 9:09 AM

Nov 2019
Good for the fans, but I doubt I will even watch it since I didn't like Aincrad at any point.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Sep 19, 2020 9:16 AM

Oct 2018
hell yes! I'm so hype for this!!!

As Asuna is the main character in this
For sure it will be far better than the current series.
Sep 19, 2020 9:16 AM

Oct 2017
Aincrad remake will be great.
Sep 19, 2020 9:18 AM

Jul 2015
Is this some kind of reboot or what?
Don't know how to feel about seeing once again amazing Aincard arc followed by such garbage.

Sep 19, 2020 9:20 AM

Jul 2017
Dreams can come true ... but I didn't expect Progressive to be announced this year
Sep 19, 2020 9:21 AM

Nov 2018
Thanks I'm looking forward to it.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 19, 2020 9:24 AM

Aug 2018
What is this? Is this just a remake of aincrad?
_______I like rocks__
Sep 19, 2020 9:26 AM
May 2016
MSAtlos said:
What is this? Is this just a remake of aincrad?

A floor by floor retelling
Sep 19, 2020 9:30 AM
May 2016
Piromysl said:
Don't know how to feel about seeing once again amazing Aincard arc followed by such garbage.

It's only a floor by floor of the Aincrad arc
Sep 19, 2020 9:31 AM

Mar 2012
This is one SAO adaptation that i am looking foward too.

This is what Aincrad Arc could of been, they way it should of been, instead of jumping around all over, skipping from place to place and not fullt develop its world or side characters

This is going to be great. :)
Sep 19, 2020 9:31 AM
Jan 2018
People shouldn't expect the anime to cover all 100 floors ,

I have read that only 6 have been covered so far
Sep 19, 2020 9:34 AM

Jan 2009
Mattinator95 said:

lol 6 out of 100 so far this will take forever
Sep 19, 2020 9:34 AM

Aug 2010
I honestly didn't think we'd get this, so I'm kinda impressed.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Sep 19, 2020 9:36 AM

Mar 2017
Yay!! Progressive is being adapted! :)
Sep 19, 2020 9:36 AM

Apr 2016
I'm so glad they decide to animate Progressive, I'm looking forward to this one! I can't wait, honestly.
Sep 19, 2020 9:37 AM

Apr 2009
It took trash like GGO and... less trash like Alicization for them to get to adapting the only worthwhile part of SAO.

Mar 2012
deg said:
Mattinator95 said:

75 actually they never got past the last 25 floors and the origina arc covered floor 74 and 75 events well too so thats 73 floors but yeah still a lot of floors.
Jan 2018
deg said:
Mattinator95 said:

It has 6 volumes and is apprently a slow detailed retelling.
Sep 19, 2020 9:38 AM
Jan 2018
-ShadowClaw- said:
deg said:

75 actually they never got past the last 25 floors and the origina arc covered floor 74 and 75 events well too so thats 73 floors but yeah still a lot of floors.

Alot of sao fans I have seen have been saying that series is supposed to be retelling that will cover all floors
Sep 19, 2020 9:40 AM

Mar 2012
Mattinator95 said:
-ShadowClaw- said:

Alot of sao fans I have seen have been saying that series is supposed to be retelling that will cover all floors

By All floors they meant every floor that kirito and the rest actually played trough up to the last floor where the beat the final boss. This is still following the events of the original arc and it has certain restrictions due to it but it is still a lot better than the original
Sep 19, 2020 9:44 AM

Jul 2015
NG_Chloe said:
Piromysl said:

It's kinda understandable, because SAO has such a huge fanbase just because Aincard arc, which was the first arc, was phenomenal, but after that everything was awful with the exception of first half of Alicization.

Retelling everything step by step and filling all plot holes that were present in the adaptation will definitely be beneficial.
The worst one was probably the timeskip after ep 4, if I remember correctly, when Kirito and Asuna suddenly went from borderline strangers to perfect lovey-dovey couple in like one episode and we didn't even see this relationship develop.
I hope this reboot will fix that because this ship is definetely the worst written I have ever seen in any anime ever as it is.

Sep 19, 2020 9:54 AM
May 2016
Piromysl said:
NG_Chloe said:

It's kinda understandable, because SAO has such a huge fanbase just because Aincard arc, which was the first arc, was phenomenal, but after that everything was awful with the exception of first half of Alicization.

Retelling everything step by step and filling all plot holes that were present in the adaptation will definitely be beneficial.
The worst one was probably the timeskip after ep 4, if I remember correctly, when Kirito and Asuna suddenly went from borderline strangers to perfect lovey-dovey couple in like one episode and we didn't even see this relationship develop.
I hope this reboot will fix that because this ship is definetely the worst written I have ever seen in any anime ever as it is.

I'm hoping that this'll be good too. I've heard it's good while not getting any specific spoilers of course
Sep 19, 2020 9:55 AM

Jul 2015
Back to when SAO was interesting. I might be able to watch it.
Sep 19, 2020 9:55 AM

Apr 2016
Piromysl said:
NG_Chloe said:

There are a lot of things about them explained in the novels already, especially with side stories. The anime adaptation is only a part of SAO franchise, so there is already a base which will be used to settle everything, probably.

Anyways, we do not know if Progressive will follow what we already know about Kirito and Asuna's relationship or more in general about the story itself.
Sep 19, 2020 10:03 AM

Jul 2015
HectorBlaze said:
Piromysl said:

There are a lot of things about them explained in the novels already, especially with side stories. The anime adaptation is only a part of SAO franchise, so there is already a base which will be used to settle everything, probably.

Anyways, we do not know if Progressive will follow what we already know about Kirito and Asuna's relationship or more in general about the story itself.

Yeah, the whole reason why SAO became so infamous and was called overrated is lots of cut character development and growth, which eventually led to anime version of Kirito becoming a Mary Sue. I really hope Progressive will change that.

Sep 19, 2020 10:05 AM

May 2008
Another trash for this series. I mean why they don't let this series die already?

They should adapt series that deserve it not trash like this one.

Nanaca said:
It took trash like GGO and... less trash like Alicization for them to get to adapting the only worthwhile part of SAO.

I don't know what are you talking abouth but the only watch able part of this trash is GGO. SAO first season a big piece of shit. Rest after GGO is also bad... so bad...

Cleostar said:

Asuna is the main character of this shit? It can be even worst then i image.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
CravenlockSep 19, 2020 12:52 PM
Sep 19, 2020 10:15 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I'm just hoping A-1 continues to handle animating the series in the future. I know Studio 3hz did the spinoff with P90 loli Llenn but as long as A-1 is still involved, regardless if it's for this or for the mainline series, then I'll be happy.

2 years may be quite awhile but man I'm pretty excited for this.
Sep 19, 2020 10:17 AM

Jun 2014
So this is basically like a SAO: Brotherhood of the very first arc right? I'll go in with tempered expectations because I remember how much people hyped Alicization when that was first announced but in the end it was (for me personally) only a slightly better improvement compared to the seasons that came before it. Plus I imagine it'll probably be rushed in typical SAO adaptation fashion lol.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 19, 2020 10:21 AM

Oct 2018
Haou-Judai said:
Cleostar said:

Asuna is the main character of this shit? I can be even worst then i image.

not necessarily the main character but the story mainly come from her POV
It's gonna be full RPG/adventure kind of story.

At least it's far better than seeing Harem shit that ruined the entire story.
Sep 19, 2020 10:34 AM

Apr 2016
Cleostar said:

Asuna and Kirito will be together in the adventure. The manga is told from her point of view but the novels are still told from Kirito’s point of view.
The anime adaptation will adapt novels, I hope!
Sep 19, 2020 10:41 AM

Jul 2016
POGGERS. Which means the LN of this gonna be release much faster. Stuck on volume 6. Waiting for vol 7. Its 2yrs after the previous volume.

Sep 19, 2020 10:59 AM

Jul 2015
Do I have to watch all the other seasons of SAO in order to watch this new one?
Sep 19, 2020 11:05 AM

Dec 2017
So I guess this is the one where Kirito doesn't go full berserker mode and shows some actual logic behind everything.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Sep 19, 2020 11:09 AM

Jul 2017
Haou-Judai said:
Another trash for this series. I mean why they don't let this series die already?

They should adapt series that deserve it not trash like this one.

Huge success = just as huge a win for the franchise

Just like SAO, Aikatsu! was released in 2012. Why do you think it's not dead yet? lol

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
6 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.