Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Arte
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 4, 2020 6:19 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty solid episode.

I love the style of the historical setting and the ovverall look for the anime. We got to meet Arte and she seems like a sweet, kind natured girl. The episode had her speak both in honest thoughts so I think it's important to see how much her character an grow.

Animation wise, this show looks nice and consistent too. The theme songs also has this serene feeling, especially the ED imo.
Stark700Apr 4, 2020 6:25 AM
Apr 4, 2020 8:09 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great first episode!

I'm totally digging the historical setting of this and the animation perfectly sets up the atmosphere for it. Arte, on first glance, seems like a really nice and motivational character too which is fantastic to see!

Really liked how the whole scene was handled, the contrast between Leo-san and Arte's circumstances first but then converging at the same aim. I'm honestly a little surprised how easily she managed to get her mother off though. And that room is seriously beyond hope xD.

We've got ourselves father of the season, by the way. Both Op and ED are very soothing to tune in with as well.

Definitely intrigued, I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going!

Edit: Just found out that this is my first anime from this Studio. Hopefully, it's good enough to keep this quality up for the season.
_MushiRock11_Apr 4, 2020 8:12 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 4, 2020 8:10 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Good first episode I think it's going to be good but I wish she didn't cut her hair :(
Apr 4, 2020 8:17 AM

May 2017
Best first ep so far for me! Im glad its lived up to my expectation, i love the artstyle, the mood, the OP & ED are so good! also arte is beautiful <3 idk why i already ship her with leo lol

This and honzuki will be my anticipated show this season :")
livexevilApr 4, 2020 8:20 AM
Apr 4, 2020 8:25 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
well damn, she was a hell of alot more waifu than i expected XD
Apr 4, 2020 8:35 AM

Jan 2014
What a great first ep. I love Arte and her determination, and her never give up attitude. She's lovely!
Be interesting to see how the dynamic between her and Leo grows as the show goes on.
Apr 4, 2020 8:38 AM

Nov 2016
Was my most anticipated new series this season and I'm so happy that it lived up to my hopes. It certainly has a very pleasant tone and Arte is so cute and full of energy.

Furthermore, I totally dig stories where the protagonist has to prevail againsts external circumstances, such as society dictating the way of life in order to pursue her passion, even more in such an interesting setting. The comedic moments managed to make me chuckle, especially the chibi-esque expressions and apparently there will be some romance as well which is a nice bonus.

Also love the theme songs already.

So all in all a magnificent start, I sincerely hope that this series will be able to maintain this kind of quality throughout the entire runtime.

5/5

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 4, 2020 8:40 AM

Jan 2016
I don't really like historical anime, but I gave this one a chance because
1.) It's about a girl who wants to make art even in a society where people view girls just as housewives; I like to see anime about the main protagonists proving other people wrong, and
2) I thought Leo's a DILF and pretty hot.
Mainly number 2.

But I liked this episode, even if a lot of stuff just happened in this first episode. I can't wait to see how Arte lives as an artisan's apprentice and the art she makes in the future.
Apr 4, 2020 8:42 AM

Mar 2018
This is such a nice anime. Gives me lots of Ascendace of a Bookworm vibes.
Apr 4, 2020 8:49 AM

Aug 2012
The Universal Pictures logo caught me off guard lol. And why do artists want to cut off things like ears, hair, boobs...
Apr 4, 2020 8:50 AM

May 2019
The first episode was very shounen-like but nonetheless it was great!

I'm looking forward to the following episodes.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Apr 4, 2020 9:05 AM

Jun 2013
Fantastic start! Could see this being one of the best of the season!
Apr 4, 2020 9:10 AM
Jul 2018
A good start. I'm sure the path she has chosen won't be smooth and she will encounter many obstacles that'll make her feel like she should give up, but I believe she's determined enough to eventually overcome every hurdle thrown in front of her.
Arte kinda reminds me of Shirayuki, I already like her.
Apr 4, 2020 9:12 AM

Feb 2010
so just got everything anyone could expect form anime about arte wanting to make art.. things may get fixed since theres romance tag
Apr 4, 2020 9:17 AM
Feb 2020
Great start to the series. Really digging the historical setting and it was interesting seeing societal standards and how that dictates the characters life. Main characters are likable and the music fits the episode well. Also great opening.

Overall great start
5/5
Apr 4, 2020 9:37 AM
Sep 2015
Leo is so DILF I don't want him to have any romantic relationship with woman (man is OK, Florence is the well-known for a widespread homosexual culture in Renaissance after all)
Apr 4, 2020 9:37 AM

Mar 2010
So this is an anime about passion. I can see it being one of the anime I look forward to the most each week this season!

Now Watching

原神 : 800993232

SV-Mirage

Apr 4, 2020 9:45 AM

Mar 2017
This is going to be one of the underrated anime for this season..

as a manga reader, the romance in the story showed up pretty seldom because the author focused on historical and cultures. the romance is just a spice for them to make it complete for her character development!
Apr 4, 2020 9:46 AM

Oct 2017
Hey we got Sakura 2.0 and she even wanted to cut her breasts.

Joking aside this was a great start and the best first episode of this season so far. I like the setting of this anime and the art style is really good too.

Arte looked really beautiful with her long hair but she looks cute with her short hair too and it goes well with her tomboyish nature.

Expecting a lot from this anime, so looking forward to the rest of the show.
Apr 4, 2020 9:52 AM

Aug 2013
Great start for this series.

Loving both OP and ED songs. They're really great.

Arte with short her is cute and I love her passion. She'll be a great artist. Leo, on the other hand, is an interesting character imo. I liked how they showed the similarities between both the main characters.

Is Arte really going to live in that thing? lol.

Apr 4, 2020 9:52 AM

Jun 2014
Way too slow and boring. Did this really need to be an anime, not really. While the manga its based on isn't exactly a shoujo, it sure does feel like your typical as fuck braindead boring shoujo. Dropped.
:3
Apr 4, 2020 10:02 AM

Jul 2015
It's nice to see feminist female empowerment anime without any woke BS shoved into face.

Apr 4, 2020 10:03 AM

Jul 2015
Spring is going to be great. I can feel it.

Very good start.
Apr 4, 2020 10:09 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Pretty nice so far. Main girl is quite charming and it's also always fun to see actual European settings used for anime
Apr 4, 2020 10:16 AM
Sep 2017
Pretty good first episode and it seems it will be a good adaptation for the manga.
Apr 4, 2020 10:20 AM

Jul 2017
ok when I heard this series had "light feminist themes" I wasn't expecting it to shove "huehuehueheu bcuz ur a gurl lolo" every 5 seconds. Oh well, do like the main 2 leads. That Universal in the beginning also caught me off guard
Apr 4, 2020 10:44 AM

Jul 2017
The first episode of Arte was fine. Whilst I'm not a fan of the manga, especially since it drags for me a lot later on, I liked the start of it and this was a solid adaptation of it.

The music was nice (especially the OP song by Maaya Sakamoto, the living legend) and the visuals were better than I expected. I thought they looked really bad in the poster but when seeing the anime properly, it looks alright.

Arte is solid too. She can get a bit annoying for me at times, but I do like her energy and desire to succeed in what she loves, even with not caring about her status - especially during a time where most women with her status would have definitely not sacrificed like Arte would.

Overall, I don't know how I'd enjoy the rest of the season since the manga is average for me, but for a start, Arte's anime was a decent enough coming of age show.
Apr 4, 2020 10:50 AM

Feb 2019
Universal produces anime now??

Man, no pun intended, the art looks amazing. The world is so beautiful and alive. OP is great

Ugh Arte is so adorable. Called her being best girl of the season last year when this got announced and not surprised.

Can’t wait to see she and Leo’s relationship develop. Always nice to see a good master student relationship. The world and characters are all very interesting, it’s not often we get renaissance era anime actually set in historically accurate environments so I’m excited.

Overall feels a lot like Bookworm which is great because we get double the taste this season. Great first episode, and I think it’ll go on to be one of the sleeper hits of the season
Apr 4, 2020 10:53 AM

Jun 2017
Short_Circut said:
ok when I heard this series had "light feminist themes" I wasn't expecting it to shove "huehuehueheu bcuz ur a gurl lolo" every 5 seconds.

Same here - what was "light" about it? It's OK to want to make a point, but there's no need to sledge-hammer it in.
Other than that, this was a decent first episode.

Apr 4, 2020 10:57 AM

Aug 2018
Seems promising :) Don't disappoint please
Apr 4, 2020 11:00 AM

Jul 2016
Yeah, that was a'ight. Visual design's a bit 'meh' but the characters and story are enough to carry it through. Don't think this is gonna be a particular favourite, but it's okay. Also, I feel like I must be a very specific kind of empathetic because I hardly ever get angry when a show tries to make me angry, but I was pissed off at the mom character, like instantly. I wanted her dead for burning those drawings and she hadn't even been on screen for 2 minutes.

Anyway, yeah. A meh to pretty good show. Don't know if I'll stick with it all the way through, but I'll probably decide that in the near future.

MrAwesome2018 said:
The Universal Pictures logo caught me off guard lol

Me too. I thought for a second someone had uploaded the wrong file.
ChilliePeppersApr 4, 2020 11:03 AM
Apr 4, 2020 11:16 AM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017
Found a candidate for best girl of the season.
Found a candidate for top 5 opening theme of the season.

This anime managed to exceed my expectation. 9/10 for the premiere.
Apr 4, 2020 11:18 AM

Jul 2017
Tirinchas said:
Short_Circut said:
ok when I heard this series had "light feminist themes" I wasn't expecting it to shove "huehuehueheu bcuz ur a gurl lolo" every 5 seconds.

Same here - what was "light" about it? It's OK to want to make a point, but there's no need to sledge-hammer it in.
Other than that, this was a decent first episode.

yea these kinda things should definitely be more show than tell otherwise it just ends up being awkward af
Apr 4, 2020 11:23 AM
Aug 2011
Arte is one of my fav manga. I feel there's an overall dullness to the palette here but i'm a spoiled shit towards manga art that anime counterparts rarely meet my high expectations.

It was a touch heavier handed in parts than it probably should've been but I don't think it was awkward. Oh well. I'm curious to see how this will progress.
Apr 4, 2020 12:00 PM

Apr 2013
What a wonderful start! I didn't plan to watch this but suddenly picked it up. It's refreshing seeing something like art in this setting touched upon since it's not common/I haven't seen much. I like the characters and their dynamics so far! Nice visuals amd nice osts.
Apr 4, 2020 12:02 PM

Nov 2018
Looks promissing, it had a good start, hope it keeps it up.
Apr 4, 2020 12:10 PM

Oct 2012
I didn't know anything about this, but idk, just felt like watching it... And I enjoyed! Ya-hoo! It was a good first episode, and I already like the MC. She's the genki-type but she can think stuff through. Let's see how she proves that women can be artists too! ♥
Apr 4, 2020 12:10 PM

Mar 2018
Very solid 1st episode. Arte is so adorable man. Looking forward to this.
Apr 4, 2020 12:24 PM

Dec 2014
Very promising and very compelling so far.

The Universal logo totally caught me off guard.

Arte is adorable and full of energy and charm. I love her already. <3
My only gripe with the episode or rather it's a general thing for me is that she cut her beautiful hair, I understand why she did it but still. :(

Anyway, really looking forward to more.
Apr 4, 2020 12:48 PM

Jun 2019
Good thing is Muse Asia also airing this one!

For some reason i think the MC kinda like Maine from Honzuki for me. LOL
Apr 4, 2020 1:03 PM

May 2013
That was sweet, love the setting in florence and arte is a cute and passionate girl. Extra points cause of mikako komatsu, only concern I have is that this could get a bit boring on the long
Apr 4, 2020 1:37 PM
May 2017
I'm not buying the fact that this girl is 15
Apr 4, 2020 1:52 PM

Nov 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
Very promising and very compelling so far.

The Universal logo totally caught me off guard.

Arte is adorable and full of energy and charm. I love her already. <3
My only gripe with the episode or rather it's a general thing for me is that she cut her beautiful hair, I understand why she did it but still. :(

Yeah, some good ol "character development" or demonstration of determination xD

Jokes aside, short hair really suits her tomboyishness better :P

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 4, 2020 2:00 PM

Mar 2020
Pleasant episode. Reconstruction done well, you can also notice in detail how the sheet written in Italian is visible for a few seconds.

Curious to know how the story will proceed.
Apr 4, 2020 2:17 PM

Sep 2011
I fully expected to like this one, but I think I loved this first episode. Sure, it was hard to watch her being mistreated, belittled and humiliated only for being a woman, even though I knew it was coming and probably won't stop coming any time soon, but it just started and her efforts already weren't in vain. She met Leo-san, did her best finishing a supposedly impossible task, was able to touch his heart with the truth, and became his apprentice. It's true that she loves drawing since it was the only thing that gave her joy, as her late father said, but now it became her only way of escaping from the "bird cage". Their circumstances were indeed different, but their drive is the same. She wants and needs to be able to live on with her own power just like Leo-san once wanted and needed to. I love how there was rain right on her first day in her new "castle". The poor girl's resolve is already being put to test in more ways than one. xD I'm surprised her mother let her go so easily by the way, but welp, can't wait for more!
Apr 4, 2020 2:29 PM

Apr 2016
I necessarily have to watch a series set in Italy. The theme does not interested me too much but the series does not seems bad. Is Leo “inspired” to Leonardo Da Vinci? It’s possible.
Apr 4, 2020 2:38 PM

Jan 2016
Arte is a gem of a character!

An anime set during the renaissance! I've waited patiently for this one since the trailer dropped and I'm not disappointed

Fkn hell this season is too good, way too many good shows
Apr 4, 2020 3:01 PM
Dec 2019
was kinda confused when i saw universal’s logo in the beginning pfft

ah arte is adorable, think i’m gonna enjoy her relationship with leo
Apr 4, 2020 3:18 PM
Anime Archivist

Aug 2019
It's a promising start, think that it had one of the better openings of the season. The art of Arte is solid (definitely a good waifu), the music is at least somewhat catchy (so far one of the better ones of the season). Considering Funimation's track record I thought they would try to be more heavy handed with messaging due to the setting (thankfully it's more reasonable then my expectations). There's definitely some respect to historical setting, considering the nature of apprenticeships. I expect that this isn't the last of Arte's troubles.

Good work.
Apr 4, 2020 3:37 PM

Jan 2014
Rich girl, despite being hated by males and evil mother witshes, wanna become Art King/ArtKage. Looks like one of those anime you'll instantly throw out of your mind.

I'm genuinely curious how high drop rate will be for new shows from Spring2020. Most seem medicore at best.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

127 by BiggKab »»
Jan 14, 2:30 AM

Poll: » Arte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2020

80 by Zekkenshin »»
Nov 12, 2023 3:47 PM

Poll: » Arte Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 23, 2020

49 by Zekkenshin »»
Nov 4, 2023 4:29 AM

Poll: » Arte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

66 by Zekkenshin »»
Nov 2, 2023 4:14 PM

Poll: » Arte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2020

82 by Zekkenshin »»
Nov 1, 2023 4:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.