Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Smile Down the Runway
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 24, 2020 9:47 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
More fashion walks but with red dresses. Interesting.

The slow movement but focused camera angles made it look like a work of art. A lot of hype on that stage. I do like how they're hyping up the competition as much as possible.
Jan 24, 2020 11:28 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This episode was really beautiful !! i'm looking forward to the next one
Jan 24, 2020 11:57 AM

Mar 2016
Not a bad episode actually. Tsumura continues to be a bit too much of an unstable autist for my liking, but the over-the-top dramatic mood seemed more at home here than in other episodes. The symmetry between Fujito's experience on the runway and Niinuma's in the audience had a lot of impact.

Angry short-haired freckle girl was pretty cute.
Jan 24, 2020 11:59 AM

Jun 2014
I love how he planned for her tripping and had a back up plan with that dress design.

Yeah he panicked a lot trying to figure out what to do at the last minute, but what did they expect from someone who is just starting out in the business.

The journalist girl is going to be an interesting character to watch and see how she grows alongside our two MCs.
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jan 24, 2020 12:06 PM
May 2017
Tsumura and drama are the only reasons I'm still watching this. Though Chiyuki wasn't as annoying in this episode as she was in the previous 2.
Jan 24, 2020 1:17 PM
Jun 2017
Pretty good episode. It felt well paced and very focused. The previous two episodes felt like they had some pretty significant time skips just to introduce the characters.

Tsumura is still fluctuating heavily. I wish he just established his confidence already, but I guess that's just because his character is written to be a bit of a dork.

The journalist girl seems interesting. She seems to have knowledge as a designer and a desire to become a model herself. I'd like to see how she develops.

Honestly, when going into this show, I did not expect to be this invested, so I'm glad I took a shot. It's one of the better shows this season for me.
Jan 24, 2020 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
Despite everything, the show worked out in the end.
I think Ikuto is a good character, but when you compare him to Chiyuki you really see just how bland she is. Hopefully she herself gets some development soon.
Jan 24, 2020 4:03 PM

Mar 2016
Too many people sleeping on this gem! xD

CeissaDesiste said:
I love how he planned for her tripping and had a back up plan with that dress design.

He didn’t plan for it. He thought it would be fun for the dress to have such a function. That the inclusion ended up saving the show basically was just a lucky coincidence.
Jan 24, 2020 4:07 PM
Apr 2018
What a beautiful episode!
Jan 24, 2020 4:10 PM

Nov 2017
this anime is so much more than i expected and i honestly love it. really excited to see how this turns out!!! definitely the hidden gem of this season!
Jan 24, 2020 4:20 PM

Apr 2012
The plot is still as preposterous as before, but I love the attention to details of the modeling and the designing crafts. How the transmission of knowledge, the general constraints and the inspiration are balanced is simply brilliant.

Characters are also pretty cute and believable.
Jan 24, 2020 4:36 PM
Mar 2017
Ikuto proposed a risky idea, but Yanagida accepts only because of the pressure of the show being successful, but it is finally Ikuto who suffers the most.
Ikuto was under a terrifying pressure, every attempt to modify Chiyuki's outfit meant more problems and the reduced time reduced the options, the lack of experience also slowed him down, but it is Chiyuki who finally reassures Ikuto with a smile, when she is not selfish she has some very adorable moments, besides Ikuto also reacts and notices that Chiyuki is also frightened by the situation.

Finally Ikuto takes a risk and put his plan into motion, time was still short, but one of the models managed to gain time during his runway turn and so Ikuto finished the outfit on time.

The entrance of Chiyuki left everyone perplexed, it seems that it is an aberration that a girl the size of Chiyuki enters the runway, but Chiyuki did not feel the looks and prejudices, she was in her little world, but that bubble broke when the heel It broke and she fell to the floor, but Ikuto made a risky maneuver again that managed to play in Chiyuki's favor.
The show results in a success and Chiyuko and Ikuto take it as a great achievement on their trip, but as always appear those who want to ruin the moment of glory, the short-haired freckled girl rubs them on the face that is just a coincidence, I don't know if she speaks on the basis of envy or on the professional side, but anyway, people as toxic like her appear everywhere.

Niinuma seemed like an interesting character, a girl who doesn't like fashion because she suffered from prejudices, but somehow she felt very identified with Chiyuki, I hope to see how this event changes this girl.
Jan 24, 2020 5:53 PM

Aug 2018
This episode flew like a blink of an eye : first part really made me worried & under pressure as if I could be in Ikuto's body at that time. I honestly didn't know if they would meet a success or a total failure but I'm now glad it really went well.

It also seems that this young girl, Niinuma was really touched by Chiyuki's appearance, which should be interesting for later.
Jan 24, 2020 8:22 PM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode, I had a grin on my face watching it when Chiyuki went out onto the runway.

The dress changing part was a cool idea and it was a lucky coincidence that they were able to reveal it the way they did but I loved the way Chiyuki handled herself and that grin on her face left me grinning too. <3

Really liked the monologue in the background from Niinuma as Chiyuki walked across, it was very nice to see her moved by Chiyuki trying her best in a world where it seemed like she had no place. It doesn't matter what other people say, if you want something, just go after it with all your heart. :)

Who was the woman who was admonishing Chiyuki and Tsumura after the show? That was totally unneeded.
Jan 24, 2020 8:34 PM
Jan 2017
Smile Down the Runway delivers yet another fine episode! Against all odds, Chiyuki and Ikuto survive their first real challenge. This episode drives home just how much the two leads push each other into improving themselves and moving forward. The main duo is also humbled by the fact that they only survived by their skin of their teeth, it wasn't a flawless victory brought about by their unlimited talent or something like that. Just like I thought, this show will dig deep into the complications and intricacies that come with working in the fashion industry and it will interesting to see how Chiyuki and Ikuto face those challenges as the series continues.
Jan 24, 2020 9:46 PM
Mar 2015
Between Bob and Shorty they did good
Jan 25, 2020 12:06 AM

Oct 2017
Damn I love this anime. The first half was so tense, I really felt the preassure. But then Chiyuki's walk on the runway changed it all, it was so beautiful. This was really amazing.
Jan 25, 2020 12:40 AM

Jun 2019
This anime is very amazing, You can feel the emotions of the character
Jan 25, 2020 2:25 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
That episode was so beautiful, it made me tear up a little. Had a feeling of hope during the whole course of the ep and it made me feel happy in the end. Ikuto is a great character and I'll hope to see some more of his development. The manga seems like a must to me. <3

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Jan 25, 2020 2:26 AM

Dec 2015
Another nice episode. Not as great as the previous ones. (I would have loved others noticing that the last dress was fixed by Tsumura - him getting mentioned to the journalists.)

Still the thing with the girl from the magazine was nice. (Maybe she'll encounter Tsumura later so he can make clothes for her.)
Jan 25, 2020 4:20 AM

Sep 2011
Tsumura and Chiyuki did it. They did what they could with what they had, and they succeeded. I love how they inspired that girl without even knowing it. I hope she gets to be important in the story, it seems likely. And I love how the models, and pretty much everyone else, were supportive of them, changing the tempo and stuff so Tsumura would have a little more time to finish. They certainly survived this trial by fire.
Jan 25, 2020 6:44 AM
Jul 2019
Another amazing episode, it’s living up to my hype!
Jan 25, 2020 8:43 AM

Feb 2008
Touching. Everything worked out in the end and Tsumura got some well-deserved praise. That transforming dress was a clever idea.

The aspiring fashion journalist's reactions were charming as well.
Jan 25, 2020 9:30 AM
Apr 2019
After 3 eps, i finally recognized male voice.. its tanjirou lmao...

But yeah this is really good eps... when she walk on the runway its so beautful.

That bitch staff tho ruin it at the end.. meh
Jan 25, 2020 9:45 AM
Jul 2019
Man it;s a good thing that model gave Ikuto some time to finish off his work with Chiyuki.....

Btw did Chiyuki just said that "I cannot let Tsumura do better than me???" Cu'z if she did then that could either mean something good or something bad.

well, it looks like Ikuto is now being acknowledge by Hajime, well just a bit that is.....

just as one model help out ikuto and Chiyuki another model just bitched out on them or is she one of those designer wanna be.
Jan 25, 2020 9:59 AM

Jun 2019
Damn, what a good drama!!

Rules to walk in runway:
1. Don't fall
2. Don't smile

Chiyuki be like: I am a protagonist! why the hell i must follow the rules!
Jan 25, 2020 10:44 AM

Dec 2016
Once again, Chiyuki had shined brightly and is all thanks to Tsumura ^^ Wonderful episode!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jan 25, 2020 1:27 PM

Dec 2014
Damn he made... I know they are always people who always frown upon everything
Jan 25, 2020 1:59 PM

May 2015
OMG such a beautiful episode. I couldnt stop grinning the entire time seeing these two try their hardest and get rewarded for it.

I was worried this episode would do the same thing as the previous two where it gave them some credit then smacked them down but it was all praise this episode. Satisfying as hell.

But those two are so cute together. I ship them like mad. When she was giving him that pep talk that smile is the smile to protect.

I absolutely love the message behind this episode and how wholesome and lovely it is. That girl is now inspired to do modeling, the main two have had some success and the producer guy had finally acknowledged them and saw a bit of his old self in him. Beautiful.

This episode really had my heart beating waiting in anticipation on what will happen.

I find this so interesting since I know absolutely nothing about modeling and as far as I know no anime has done this premise so I cant wait for the next episode. I hope they keep this up and dont knock them down too much.
DarknessRealityJan 25, 2020 2:03 PM
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2020 3:24 PM

Aug 2016
This is by far the best anime of the season. The character development. the animation. the drama. the soundtracks. This anime hits me deep. I am absolutely loving it.
Jan 25, 2020 7:58 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty meh conclusion on so many levels from my point of view.

There are so many flashbacks, even on events that just occured in this episode, it's nothing but cheap padding on lacking animation skills.

Secondly, this episode was meant to the focus for Chiyuki & Ikuto. Inserting Niinuma's backstory in the moment that Chiyuki is walking down the runway slows down the flow in a totally unnecesary manner. Her inner monologues could had been left for next episode or part of an epilogue for this short arc after Chiyuki & Ikuto had their moment. Her standing up (a character that never stood up in a crowd) and all teared up just made me shake my head and sigh.

Ikuto butchered Yanagida's design. Coming from a hot headed like him, I find it hard to believe that he would just sit there and accept this (specially when he teared to shreds the dress Ikuto altered when he asked for an invisible hem just last episode). Yanagida sounds like a character the author didn't know what he should be or how to write him in a beliveable way.

The dumb shonen humor when Ikuto is altering the dress while being under Chiyuki's skirt is downright stupid and cringe, not to mention it breaks immersion about the comitement to this event.

The shoes stunt to create more forced drama takes the cake on over the top crappy writing. This is almost as bad as last year's Kono to tomare. Why can't shonen aimed mangas be more subtle and down to earth?
KimurahJan 25, 2020 8:12 PM
Jan 25, 2020 11:48 PM
Jun 2017
Ahh, that scenery when Chiyuki falls, trully amazing just likes in manga chapter,.. But when the story has been animated just like episode 3, I grin and cry ,, Why is so beautifull and amazing this art, This story should be categorized AS ART genre.
Jan 26, 2020 12:02 AM

Jun 2012
I feel like Niinuma's character development should have been in its own separate episode. Gotta say that's the only thing out of place.

I'm not gonna bother complaining about who's the idiot who put that defected heels because it's not really important anyway because it just made Chiyuki's modeling on the stage much more stellar.
Jan 26, 2020 1:03 AM
Sep 2019
TBH Idk why I am even watching this show. I know nothing about fashion and this isn't even something I would normally watch but this episode somehow managed to make me shed a tear. The story-telling was masterful in the way they used the girl in the audience to amplify the emotions by given her something to be inspired by... the intense drama of fixing the dress and the scene with the heel actually made me so nervous. The main character says at the end of the episode: "Clothes have the power to change someone's life" and it would come across as so bland and fake if they had not set up the other short girl in the audience. They really made me believe that something which I don't have any interest in - fashion shows - could actually be something incredible and life changing.The way everything unfolded in such a beautiful way really captured my attention and it was emotional. I felt so proud of the characters at each and every turn. Lets not forget to mention the awesome animation and the main character's incredibly cute smile too.
Jan 26, 2020 2:44 AM

Aug 2015
This show is so hype, how the hell can something make me so hyped about a fashion show and a guy cutting clothes, lol.
But it was a great episode with those emotional and chilling moments. I absolutely hate the MC's hair (really, one of the most stupid haircuts I've ever seen), but how can you not root for him, it's feels like every character Hanae Natsuki voices instantly becomes the goodest of good boys.
I hate those moments with the white background though, they hurt my eyes, it's awful to look at. Also, episode 3 feels too early for a title drop haha, but I got some goosebumps nonetheless.

Why would they leave broken shoes together with the other pairs, though? Feels pretty stupid for the design guy to leave them there, and even then it's worse that he didn't even tell the woman that was putting them on the models, wtf. Feels like it's an excuse the author thought just he could make the history go the way he wants with Chiyuki falling down and the dress gimmick, but he could've thought about it better. Also, even design guy (can't remember the name) praised Tsumura, so that woman that tried to ruin his happy moment with Chiyuki was annoying.
PleinairJan 26, 2020 2:51 AM

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓☆ふわふわる▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ふわふわり☆▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
      BE KAWAII         
Jan 26, 2020 2:48 AM

Oct 2008
If there's no more time left...then improvise!
This is kinda like a trial/test of sort for Tsumura.
4/5.

Jan 26, 2020 3:21 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was an intense episode. I hyping over a modelling and designing show, who would've thought?

Tsumura's really got some serious talent to be able to come up with that outfit and then go on to execute the necessary adjustments plus a little fan-service for the audience, impressive stuff!

Really liked how Chiyuki gave him the heads-up in advance when he was crumbling to the pressure and props to the models for pitching in however possible too. Yikes, that was too close a call ffs.

Chiyuki not just tripping but also smiling, and in the process breaking the two most important rules, but still receiving the applause was an interesting turn of events, lol.

Niinuma's backstory, to be honest, felt a little out of place initially but it was very fitting in terms of what it was trying to convey nonetheless, just the timing perhaps that bugged me a little I suppose. Sweet to see how she was moved to see Chiyuki battling in a world that seemed to reject her with all her might.

And then that lady with those bickering comments, what the heck was that about? Let the kids have some fun, very deservedly at that too. As if Tsumura wasn't already aware of that fact, bruh..

Looks like Yanagida-san is slowly starting to see a part of himself in Tsumura now, interesting. Definitely didn't expect him to give half the credit though. I'm looking forward to seeing how this emerging partnership between these two will go!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 26, 2020 2:27 PM

Mar 2019
My Lord, I never thought that I'll be in love with an anime about fashion designers and models.
One of the best animes in this season so far, ofc it has some flaws but overall it's really splendid.
Jan 26, 2020 5:23 PM
Jul 2018
Hello there, I disagree with most of what you said, so I'm going to address it here.
Kimurah said:
Secondly, this episode was meant to the focus for Chiyuki & Ikuto. Inserting Niinuma's backstory in the moment that Chiyuki is walking down the runway slows down the flow in a totally unnecesary manner. Her inner monologues could had been left for next episode or part of an epilogue for this short arc after Chiyuki & Ikuto had their moment. Her standing up (a character that never stood up in a crowd) and all teared up just made me shake my head and sigh.
I actually like the timing of Niinuma's struggles because Chiyuki, another short person walking down the runway is just as much her moment as the other two main characters. Mainly because what Chiyuki is trying to convey is exactly the type of message Niiuma needed. It's a development in Niiuma's character that happened because she was shown at that exact moment you can do the unorthodox thing and still do well. Which, as far as I can tell, has been shown to be the theme of this anime and is exactly what happens Chyiuki and Ikuto when their show is successful as that's what they have been fighting for. Niuma is connected to their characters in a way, that I see why it would make sense for it to be her moment as well since it is the end result of their actions. Also, by the ending of this episode, I'm betting the impact models and designers have on their audience is also going to be a theme.

However, let's say we had it as the next episode, as viewers the pacing would be even more off since the tension of what it meant to Niiuma's character wouldn't be there. We would already know that Chiyuki would succeed and that Niiuma's doubts would be null. Which, btw, is also an important reason why the scene should be placed where it is. Niiuma's doubts are the exact same as the other two MCs. The fear of failing on this show has as much weight to Niiuma as it does to them. If they fail, it is just another proof to all three of them at the exact same time, that they can't actually do something out of the ordinary. By putting it somewhere after the event already happened you remove the impact for that character. Not to mention, doing the same scene again from another perspective might fell off with the rest of the show since nothing else is probably going to be paced that way.

Ikuto butchered Yanagida's design. Coming from a hot headed like him, I find it hard to believe that he would just sit there and accept this (specially when he teared to shreds the dress Ikuto altered when he asked for an invisible hem just last episode).

I find it pretty believable since Yanagida seemed to value the success of the show a lot which makes sense as he is a seasoned professional with a reputation to maintain and the original dress didn't suit Chyiuki, so the dress having his name on it would be a total embarrassment for him.

The shoes stunt to create more forced drama takes the cake on over the top crappy writing

The shoe stunt was forced, but it also had an important purpose for the theme as Chyiuki breaking the two rules in the runway as to how even though they broke all the standards of how things were supposed to be done.
Jan 27, 2020 10:52 AM

Jul 2016
Really good episode. I absolutely loved Chiyuki and Ikuto's dynamic this time and the focus the journalist/writer girl received left me feeling quite interested in her character as well. Wonder how long it will take for their paths to meet.

And as for the short-haired woman who admonished both Chiyuki and Ikuto... unless it was some kind of "harsh advice" she wanted to give, I found that scene rather unnecessary.
Jan 27, 2020 3:38 PM

May 2019
Are they trying to sell me Ikuto x Chiyuki? Because it's working lol

Jan 27, 2020 10:47 PM

Nov 2011
So far, this is my AOTS, just been excellent throughout.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 29, 2020 8:32 AM
Jan 2020
Peaceful_Critic said:

The shoes stunt to create more forced drama takes the cake on over the top crappy writing

The shoe stunt was forced, but it also had an important purpose for the theme as Chyiuki breaking the two rules in the runway as to how even though they broke all the standards of how things were supposed to be done.

And there is a reason that the shoes with the broken heel are in the box; it's for sentimental reasons for Yanagida that might be explained later. He did say for no one to use those shoes so, for me, it's understandable.
Jan 29, 2020 1:30 PM
Jul 2018
ShinYabaBaga said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

And there is a reason that the shoes with the broken heel are in the box; it's for sentimental reasons for Yanagida that might be explained later. He did say for no one to use those shoes so, for me, it's understandable.
He did? Where? I didn't see him say that before the show.
Jan 30, 2020 1:52 AM

Jul 2017
The fashion show is OUT OF ORDER, unless Tsumura Ikuto is able to be guided to making the show a success with Chiyuki being the last minute replacement AND while bringing no tarnishment to the Yanagida brand name. By this point, he shows promise (and already has) as a character to blend into Chiyuki's bland character, like a pairing made for each other.

For journalist Niinuma, her shorty self and background feels a bit off-stage, but to exmplify the same reason why Chiyuki and herself looked so similar, it's no reason to ever doubt your own dream, and just go for gold, doesn't matter if your own personality holds you back.

The broken heels was kinda like a forced notion, but it was entirely intentional to showcase the break of the standards: to be your own character both onstage AND off-stage.

To end, the fitter mught have her own words to add about Chiyuki and Tsumura's last-minute alterification, but it was just industry standards fixing the mold.

If anything, this episode exemplifies the title of the source material itself: elegance and novelty, taken seriously, while taking a jab at the rules of the industry to go your own way down the "runways" of life. Intense and excellent episode that's for sure with minor flaws, a job well done.

MehmetY said:
This show is 2020's Kono Oto Tomare. There's some flaw because of director's inexperience but the show is still beautiful.
Someone who gets the message well! LIKED!
KANLen09Jan 30, 2020 1:58 AM
Jan 30, 2020 4:33 PM

Jul 2017
too many white backgrounds, my eyes!!

but I did enjoy this episode. This whole ep is a shipper's wet dream :P

Medialuna said:
Are they trying to sell me Ikuto x Chiyuki? Because it's working lol

unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be a romance series so we may only get teases :(
Feb 1, 2020 3:55 PM

Feb 2018
Woah Chiyuki so beautiful, but rip shoes xD.
Feb 6, 2020 3:58 PM

Nov 2016
Great episode, it knew how to fire you up. And the show turning out to be a success was satisfying on so many levels.

Lelouch0202 said:
Fantastic episode, I had a grin on my face watching it when Chiyuki went out onto the runway.

The dress changing part was a cool idea and it was a lucky coincidence that they were able to reveal it the way they did but I loved the way Chiyuki handled herself and that grin on her face left me grinning too. <3

Really liked the monologue in the background from Niinuma as Chiyuki walked across, it was very nice to see her moved by Chiyuki trying her best in a world where it seemed like she had no place. It doesn't matter what other people say, if you want something, just go after it with all your heart. :)

Who was the woman who was admonishing Chiyuki and Tsumura after the show? That was totally unneeded.

A little reality check can't hurt, even tho she really could've chosen her words and the timing better.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 14, 2020 4:10 PM

May 2015
YEAH BREAKING THE NORMS I LOVE IT
No matter who much you regret or wish,
if you couldn't do something in life,
you can't do it after death, either.
- Hanako
Feb 19, 2020 12:38 PM
Jul 2018
Lol, average female height in Japan is 158 cm, so why are they making a fuss over being short? I can kinda understand why Chiyuki is obsessed with her height, but what's with the glasses girl? Like, wake up, everyone is a tiny shrimp in your country, no need to be insecure about it.

Btw all the dresses were extra ugly this episode, like how is Yanagida even a designer? Meh
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

65 by phantom346 »»
Feb 13, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2020

56 by phantom346 »»
Jan 17, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

93 by degenerate-2002 »»
Sep 16, 2023 2:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

46 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 8:06 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2020

45 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 6:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.