Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 29, 2019 12:54 AM

Aug 2018
Since i started watching this anime few months ago (season 1) im so amazed because how likeable the characters especially satowa and chika (even he was a douchebag at that time xD) and the plot kinda remind me of Hibike! Euphonium with the club mission is going to nationals which i really like also. Every episodes i say it gotten better and better since from the start.

I have high hopes from season 2 and it never dissapoint me.This series and Chihayafuru are the very few animes that have really great character development and narrative of the story. Also this last ep was perfectly made it really conclude everything not only on tokise's part also on other groups and akira's brother aslo adding the very first OP to end the second season which i really like.

Also i like to point out the another change to visuals of OP its very heartwarming to see satowas mother finally included in the OP after the resolution of their issue.

Oh fuck its a long comment already xD
this shows i really like this series lol

Overall i love this anime from the bottom of my heart.It gives me joy, hope and inspiration. Hoping for 3rd Season
Its an easy 10/10 for me
One of the best anime this Fall and this 2019
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Dec 29, 2019 4:39 AM

Feb 2014
Another musical wonder. Truly amazing show. Got me hooked for the tune.

Btw anyone know where to start the manga from?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 29, 2019 4:54 AM

Sep 2011
What a conclusion to this season, beautiful! Everyone watching the moment of reconciliation between Houzuki and her mother was kind of awkward, but it was also wholesome. Kouta just jumping there and hugging them was so cute. xD And I like how Kudou was pretty much the only one from the club who talked to Houzuki's mother. haha And I knew it was coming, I felt it, but I was only relieved when the judge announced that they had won. I have seen them working so hard that I felt like I had won too, and this kind of satisfaction is only possible in this kind of anime. But the judge was right, the world of competition is cruel. It broke my heart when Kazusa repeatedly asked her senpai for forgiveness. And it also broke my heart when Mio started crying and saying that they lost because of him.

They are the main characters of their respective schools, and it's no wonder they felt like that. But both Kazusa's senpai and Yamamoto-sensei comforted them as best as they could. There was nothing to be sorry about their performances. They were amazing, and they are only "losers" because that's how things are, there was only one "ticket" to nationals. I also loved when Mio told Yamamoto-sensei how he felt about his pieces, and when Kazusa took back what she said and praised Tokise's performance when she talked to Kudou. It was the last day for many, but fortunately this didn't end here for Tokise. Oh, and I loved Akira's big brother too, it's really nice that everyone is recovering the bonds that they once lost. Kudou's scene with the trophy and his grandfather, who was present in spirit, was also beautiful. I want more.
Dec 29, 2019 5:35 AM
Jan 2017
I love what they did with the episode and with the season et all.

While I am in the minority, I do think there is enough in the manga for a season 3 (assuming they plan for fall 2020 or a spring 2021 release).
Dec 29, 2019 6:02 AM
Aug 2017
An incredible finale to an equally wonderful anime. Does anyone know if there will be a season 3? I insist there needs to be ^_^
Dec 29, 2019 6:22 AM

Sep 2009
ReaperCZ said:
Which chapters did the anime cover?

55 chapters it seems.
Dec 29, 2019 7:09 AM

Oct 2008
Nice! Tokise High won the competition!
National is gonna be harder and on a whole different level!
but why is there no hint of romance towards Chika & Satowa!?!?
but hey that was a beautiful scene with Satowa and her mom! their relationship is now for sure fixed!
5/5.
8/10.

Dec 29, 2019 9:58 AM

Jan 2016
Congrats Kono oto Tomare, you're the first manga that made me cry and now the first anime as well. That just tells you how strong the source material is because it's honestly a low budget show, but I have to give them some serious credit for the last 2 episodes.

It seems like I've given out a ton of 9/10s this season but I can't be unfair towards something so special.
FireFistYKDec 29, 2019 10:23 AM
Dec 29, 2019 10:00 AM

Oct 2017
LastLuminescence said:
*sigh*

Rather than a music anime I judged it as I would judge a sport anime (I judged as a music and slice of life but to a lesser extent).

You know hard work beats talent but years of hard work (or experience) can beat seasonal hard work (this felt more because of their talent or something).

Yup I knew they were going to win but after people who worked hard practically their whole life? Rather than amusing is less probable. So rather than enjoy it, this was something expected but annoying. They followed the path of the sports anime that I seriously hate (Harunaka receive for example) and disappointed me so much (as when you know what is going to happen but expect this time to be different).

The drama as usual is easily overcome and no traces involved, no surprised or touched (but I liked Akira.

With the music I felt as if I were watching Glee, you know, that in the competitions they show a flashy and cool scene but when the others are playing is you now... not pathetic but not as good as the protagonist.

Finally I would have loved if rather than leaded by Chika and Satowa (we had Akira in the searchlight but after her problem was solved that was it), all of them were equals, not even Kurata is at the same level or have the same importance and that is a shame.

I will debate with myself the score but is not as high as the majority... Woah I feel like a hater but I don't hate the anime just overwhelmed.

A few things.

The other schools may be more experienced in Koto, but they're still just Senior High, not some professional Koto player that played Koto for decades.
Let's be real here, aside from a few members, I bet most of the club members of other school only play Koto since Junior high, so their experience is just a couple years more than the mc's school.

Also talent played in factor too.

It is very unfair to say mc's school win only by seasonal hard work because they have member like Satowa who really dedicated her whole life on Koto on top of being a prodigy herself. The song is revolved around her so her performance is the most crucial to make the whole song sound better.

The other school like Mio's school do the same thing too. Aside from Mio all the rest of members are just regular students that probably play Koto for a few years only without talent, and let Mio carry for the most part. They're not any more special than mc's school in that degree, so their footing is about the same.

And then you have to consider the most important part: The song itself.
The song is originally written by a prodigy which is Satowa , who literally could have won the first place on that very strict competition (the one Akira won) if she didn't break the rule, showing that how competent that song is.
This so-called 1st place potential song then be further modified by Suzuka, a well renowned famous prodigy composer that win dozen awards.
This song is literally written/ composed by 2 such prodigies, which gives a big edge compare to other school who play songs that already pre-existed with no further enhancement/ modification.

And then we got another important aspect which is the instructor.
Akira's teaching and performance changes their attitude of playing Koto as a whole, which other mere senior high school students probably never aware of it to begin with because they're still playing at a school club performance level of music instead of really understanding Koto as a whole , and treat every notes with extreme care. Himesaki may have more skill but all they care about is coordination, plus they have so many club members to considered, so obviously not every members are going to treat their piece with the exact care mc's school did because they're never instructed that way.

Lastly , the judge from last episode already said why mc's school win.
"A truly wonderful performance can go beyond exports, and reach those who don't know much about koto. Its heart can even reach those who speak different language and live in different culture."
And I fully agree with this statement because as an audience who don't know much about koto, this is exactly how I feel too when hearing the 3 performances.
The other 2 might have equally as high level of play, but it doesn't resonance me as much as when I hear Tenkyuu.

You're not a hater, you're just nitpicking on problem that doesn't exist.
The ground of three schools are not that much different since they're still just students who mostly just join club activity for couple years, so it doesn't take full life dedication + talent to win the other side.

FireFistYK said:
Congrats Kono oto Tomare, you're the first manga that made me cry and now the first anime as well. That just tells you how strong the source material is because it's honestly a low budget show, but I have to give them some serious credit for the last 2 episodes.

It seems like I've give out a ton of 9/10s this season but I can't be unfair towards something so special.

Yeah we can tell the budget of the show is not high, however, it is mostly used on the right place.
This anime does not go on many people's raiders, the source isn't as popular and probably with little market value with very niche topic, being produced by a small anime studio that is also not well renowned too. So don't expect the production value to be something like Bone's/ UFO/ Kyoto Anime / Wit/ of production.

Also aside from art being inconsistent at times, the direction and presentation of the show tend to be very good most of the part with fitting music to boot.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenJan 4, 2020 3:46 AM
Dec 29, 2019 10:22 AM

Jan 2016
Ventus_S said:
FireFistYK said:

It seems like I've give out a ton of 9/10s this season but I can't be unfair towards something so special.

Yeah we can tell the budget of the show is not high, however, it is mostly used on the right place.

This anime does not go on many people's raiders, the source isn't as popular and probably with little market value with very niche topic, being produced by a small anime studio that is also not well renowned too. So don't expect the production value to be something like Bone's/ UFO/ Kyoto Anime / Wit/ of production.

Also aside from art being inconsistent at times, the direction and presentation of the show tend to be very good most of the part with fitting music to boot.

Agreed, and that's why I still gave it a 9/10, because the source would have been for naught if not for the amazing directing and the usage of their limited budget.

Dec 29, 2019 11:00 AM
Apr 2019
I like how its not bullshit like three of them actually proceed to nationals..

10/10
Dec 29, 2019 12:01 PM

Jan 2012
Underrated anime and deserve more views. Really enjoyed and hopefully the sales is doing well to get a 3rd season

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
Dec 29, 2019 4:20 PM

Nov 2013
holy shit, what an awesome season

great music, great characters, great interactions, good drama, great developments, also pretty decent romance
one of the easiest 10 of my life lmao

also, that ending with Himesaka girl telling them to win and the guy appearing behind Kudo, was awesome =D

Kota appearing when Satowa was crying with her mother LOL

anyway, i hope this has a 3rd season now that we got nationals
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Dec 29, 2019 5:07 PM
Sep 2018
Ventus_S said:
Weasalopes said:
The folks who have read the manga all seem to think there isn't enough materials left for a third season...

OVA! OVA! OVA!

Chant it with me now!

Actually it's not like there isn't enough material, more like the rest of the chapters isn't fully get translated into other language. The manga has gone quite far ahead since, believe it or not, this is a pretty old serie.

Ah.
If it's merely that the scanlation is incomplete, that would have no impact upon whether or not they produce a third season; it's the Japanese source material which matters.

Gotta say, if they were all thinking (and saying) there wasn't enough purely based upon what was available in other languages... that's dumb.
MAL doesn't even list a licensed release in a language other than Japanese... so, clearly, accessibility in other languages was of no concern in the decision to create an anime version in the first place!
Dec 29, 2019 6:53 PM

Dec 2015
Man, what an episode! I wasn't expecting them to win honestly. Not because of their performance, but because I was expecting something like "even though we lost, we still love playing the koto" and her mom would make up with her so it would be bittersweet, something like that. I'm glad they won though, and they made the other schools interesting and lovable enough that you still felt bad that they lost and it wasn't just some cliche typical win for the MCs. Such a great season.
Dec 30, 2019 4:14 AM

Nov 2019
Great episode.
I love this series. It is full of heartwarming moments, realistic emotions and, ultimately, honest friendship.
Dec 30, 2019 8:06 AM

Mar 2017
AAAaaaAA the feels, I'm so happy for them.
I literally clapped when they were announced as the winner ;_;

Gonna read the manga for sure!!!!
I hope there's a season 3, I would like to meet some new rivals and look forward at their improvements~~

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Dec 30, 2019 8:46 AM

Jun 2016
i loved this series ...

very sad now it ended
Dec 31, 2019 2:47 AM
Jan 2019
happy new years! for every one

to tell you the truth these anime give me hope why should I continue in leaving because someday I will meet people if I go outside of my house (maybe, if not I commit suicide)

the hearth warming episode of this episode is special and lovely as well

the support they give to each other is a thing I never have seen in other anime (I guess so)

so I guess they going to make season 3 because there's no reason to, I need season 3!
Jan 1, 2020 4:09 PM

Nov 2019
_MushiRock11_ said:
Brilliant finale episode! Genuinely felt like a conclusion (hopefully for now, that is) through and through!

Honzuki's reconciliation with her mother was really touching to see! I'm glad they took a bit of time for the whole scene too and giving us an insight on Hozuki's feeling at the time. Baka Kota definitely messed that up right after though, xD. Really sweet to see how the others were peeking and relieved at the beautiful sight.

Akira's brother chipping in with support plus some nice comedy there was really nice too! Akira's character has been a great highlight of the season and seeing the boys approve of that and consequently thank her was very pleasing to watch. Chika's aunt joining in on the celebration was really touching too.

Even Suzuka-san was nervous, goes to show just how unpredictable results can really be. But I'm glad that they chose the right school, that final judge just nailed it. Epitome of music, that's what their performance signified indeed!

Heartbreak for the other schools and in particular Himesaka and Hakuto for being outdone by a peach of a performance. I believe they should hold their heads up and it was nice to see them getting to that point after reaffirming their goals.

Awesome postcard midway in the episode there, by the way! Definitely downloading that!

Nationals are just right around the corner but we all know that school life is but problems lol. I'm sure this team will face no problem in that aspect but I'd sure love to see it animated plus some more appreciable romantic developments, so here's to hoping for a 3rd Season!

Overall, this season has been great! Started off a little weak imo but since the Akira arc, it hasn't looked back at all. Character explorations and developments for a few characters were at their peak this season, and it was honestly a treat to watch! Story-wise, there was nothing out of the ordinary but this group honestly made it special to say the least.

Production values weren't good nor consistent by any means but some of the effects to fit the tone and mood occasionally were on-point. Dark-tainted atmosphere during Akira's arc and the flowery petals during the performance were some of the more impactful moments for me, personally. Op/ED weren't the best either but at the same time nothing to bite on.

It's hard to say which between the serious-Akira episode, the last and this episode is my favourite of the lot but I can assure for certain that this season has been my favourite of the two!

As such, I'll award this show a generous 9/10.

Please let there be Season 3!

Well written analysis bro!
I'd be so sad if this never go a S3 :(

Hatsuyuki said:
Serviceable adaptation, it made me pick up the manga so it did its job. Most of the people avoided the anime purely because of how cheap it looks, and while better art would have definitely given the manga more justice, i will still highly regard this anime and consider it a hidden gem of this year.

8/10

I 100 perent agree bro :)!
8/10 season in my book as well
& I HOOOPE this series gets a s3 it honestly deserves it

Niveen_Sleem said:
I wonder if the third season is gonna come out any time soon.

I hope so!
I don't wanna wait more than a year :(

What a excellent last 10/10 episode
I kinda didn't like that beautiful reunion getting cut so short because SOMEBODY had to go leap and cry on our two girls lmaooo
I wouldn't consider that a flaw though and that last scene with Chika and his father Q_Q fucking beautiful
Overall I give this season a 8/10 definitely better than the first and I look forward to s3!
(WE BETTER GET A S3) and hopefully in the next year or two I don't want to wait :/ :)

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenJan 4, 2020 3:47 AM
Jan 1, 2020 7:34 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
TyDrian said:
Well written analysis bro!
I'd be so sad if this never go a S3 :(

Oh, thanks! And I know right, we need a bloody Season 3 of this!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 1, 2020 11:55 PM

Jul 2016
Boy, haven't seen such amount of shed tears in a final episode since a while...

Quite fulfilling final episode overall. The main plot as well as every sub-plot were wrapped up in such satisfying way I couldn't have asked for something better. Well, maybe I would have liked Satowa's reunion with her mother to last longer but that's just me.

Regarding the competition, Tokise being the winner could have been seen from miles away so I wasn't really "on edge" waiting for the judges' final decision. This said, I also think that the inclusion of the judges debating about which school should go to the Nationals was a nice detail. In the end, the decision of choosing Tokise due to how much heart they put in their performance was convincing enough for me.

So... considering this series as a whole, the first part/season aired during Spring 2019 didn't leave a meaningful impression in me due to its handling of drama but this second half, to my surprise, really improved in that regard. It felt more convincing and less exaggerated, which was a huge plus.
Things being said, I wasn't a fan of Akira's evil and one-dimensional grandma but again, Akira's arc was concluded in such heartwarming way I didn't pay much attention to how basic her grandma's character ended up being.

7/10 - Gladly surprised by this second season/cour/half overall.
Jan 2, 2020 1:21 AM

Mar 2009
This sure was a moving and beautiful anime through and through. People slept on this one big time, unfortunately.
Jan 2, 2020 9:22 AM
May 2013
I seriously love this anime, (Hmm I need create anime spoiler list for me keep track what anime is my best 🙈) I hope there is 3rd season for this anime.
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 2, 2020 10:08 AM

Mar 2017
Hmmm, i feel like this season wasn't as good as the first one. There wasn't really any development in plot or character development and relationships from the first season 1. There just wasn't as much feeling in it. I also feel like the animation quality went down too. Kinda disappointed to be honest.
Jan 3, 2020 12:23 AM

Sep 2018
KOTA!! lol he ruined the scene!
I ship the sensei, Akira x Takinami ..

yes!! they win it! I know they will win but I still got nervous XD

The ending is not enough for me.. I'm hoping for 3rd season ❤️
Jan 5, 2020 4:03 PM

Sep 2017
I don't know if the manga is ongoing or not but, looking at Wikipedia. The anime covered 55 chapters (according to earlier posters) (so 27.5 chapters per season) so a third season currently only has 22 more chapters of material. I don't know if a movie or a short season would be the best way to adapt more. But either way, it's gonna be a while...
Jan 5, 2020 5:10 PM

Jan 2011
Here's to me praying for a 3rd season.

This is one of the best musical anime I've seen in a while.
Unlike most others I didn't like 'Your Lie in April' at all.
So I'm glad they adapted this manga.

My main complaint is how little they focused on Takezou's sound.
I mean he is the President who pulled them altogether.
It made me sad that he was more or less considered as a
'background character' who didn't have a distinct sound of his own.

Even when Akira taught them their parts individually,
we didn't get to hear her thoughts about his playing at all.

I would have given this a 10 if not for that. So, it's 9/10 for me.
Jan 11, 2020 7:29 AM

Dec 2016
Amazing season and great ending! This needs a continuation! 8/10

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Feb 3, 2020 1:47 PM

Apr 2012
What an anime. Tenkyuu didn't carry the same weight as Kuon imho but was still gently wholesome.

It's interesting how each season had its own colour: S1 had high-impact drama but felt cliché at times, while S2 had less drama but felt more organic. They both complement each other nicely.

I don't want this sound to stop, looking forward to another season someday.
Feb 5, 2020 10:20 PM

Aug 2017
Oh, I like they changed the opening again.

Ok, S2 is an improvement to S1, less dumb drama, less convenient issues and more focus on character development. Also, Akira was a great addition to the cast. Its not the best anime in the world but appreciate the improvement. 7/10 for the anime.

Let's wait for S3.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 7, 2020 11:49 AM

Jul 2015
Nice to see Satowa and her mother make up, overall pretty emotional episode after the whole competition that had pretty high stakes

Pretty good anime so far, reminded me of Chihayafuru in a way, looking forward to a third season if there ever will be one.

Mar 21, 2020 9:16 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
The last episode got me due to that amazing performance, this last one got me really good also but to the pay off of all the development we had seen since the beginning, wasn't expecting to grow so fond...

Expected them to actually lose, but I m glad the mangaka didn't go that route, yet.
No romance vibes these last episodes, but nonetheless, truly well-done finale.
No complaints, next I guess I will be reading the manga, doubt an S3 nowadays.
The manga won't be the same without the OST, but I m expecting great things from some sneak peeks I did previously~~

8.8/10 = 9
Mar 22, 2020 3:16 AM

Oct 2009
It was great to follow all these personal stories and experience character growths. Beautiful music and visualizations. One of the most enjoyable animes series in recent years for me! =D
Apr 1, 2020 10:48 AM

Jun 2011
Uhhh the cringe in this episode reminded me that this is truly a high school drama.. am I too old for show like this now?

Few things that I really didn't like about the series as a whole.. The first has to be the drama. I don't like how every antagonists have to be portrayed as having no redeeming quality at first only to do a complete 180 on their character later on with zero prior regrets. For example, before Akira tried dragging Hozuki's mother to the recital, Hozuki's mom never showed even a tiny bit of regrets having to treat Hozuki the way she did.. and all of the sudden we get to see her regret when she's about to have her so-called "character development" moment. It came off as very abrupt and felt like it was done just for the purpose of having character development. This happened to pretty much every single character in the series that has had any major development. It happened to Akira and her grandmother too.. ugh.

Then there's the comedy. I like comedy a lot, but not when they're inappropriately inserted into the series. Hozuki was having a great moment with her mother, then we had to have Kota coming in to ruin the moment.. it happened plenty of time already. Kudo was about to cry when his aunt hugged him after they won the preliminary, and then the mangaka had to make Kudo do this tsundere funny act that just takes away from the moment that could've been very heart-warming. This is also the same with Kazusa.

Besides that, the series put way too much emphasize on the feelings of the/(one) character(s). Take the moment Tokise was celebrating their advance to the national for example, instead of having each characters feel great about the opportunity equally, they put the focus on Kudo having a very emotional moment, and made the whole thing seem like this win means more to Kudo than any of the other members, which made no sense given the fact that thematically speaking this arc has little to do with Kudo.

Then of course they had to end it by showing every single other relevant teams crying their eyes out. It's not high school sports drama if they don't do that, eh?

The music itself was 10/10, the story was great, but the portrayal was terrible. If we're all being honest with ourselves, the fact that Hozuki made up with her mom didn't feel real at all, the resolution was paced very badly. I don't like the fact that almost every single characters in this series have insane selflessness, to the point that it's unrealistic and not relatable. They care way too much about how others feel over their own feelings (which was almost never shown) make them feel not very human-like.

By the end of it all, I find self rooting for Hakuto more than the main team.

Wanted to like this so badly, and even though it's not as bad as the first season, it's still meh. The potential was there but the series is still rough around the edges. Clean that up and this will easily become one of the classics.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 2, 2020 4:01 AM

Feb 2017
Oh yes, this is definitely better than the first season. Someone told me that it's getting good, and it is, although still having many things that I dislike. For instance, probably it's because I'm just a bit cynical, but honestly, the way they express what 'the sound' was, was exaggerated to a point where it annoyed me. Also kinda hate the way that they're giving away those flashbacks. Melodramatic, like why bother giving every side character existing a dark past? Nevertheless, it's really fun, those youthful energies, and that Tokise's Tenkyu performance was truly tear-jerking, and in a way innocent.

Also, both Kurusu and Akira are best girls.
addictedtolivingApr 5, 2020 2:38 AM
Apr 3, 2020 7:20 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
Hoping for season 3 even more now, wow.
- Justin T. Poindexter
May 19, 2020 12:17 PM

Aug 2017
It took me soms time to finish this anime, not because I dislike it
( it's one of my favourite shows) but because I took some break from watching anime. I kinda regret it that I didn't at least kept watching this show when I took a break but hey what's done is done.

Now about this season..Wonderful, less melodramatic, and Akira was a great addition to an already fun cast. I was already reading the manga so I will continue where I left off and hopefully season 3 will one day be announced.
May 19, 2020 2:14 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Omg this finale was so great, from happiness to sadness, so much emotions, this season was even better than the first one, I just can't wait for the third season
May 21, 2020 12:52 PM
Feb 2020
This anime need season 3. I hope in 2021 is still continue to the next season, this anime is the best anime music is 2019 with 2 season in 1 year...
May 27, 2020 1:28 AM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
I thought the last two episodes were going to kill me with suspense; knew it was their win but I almost worried they'd bend the rules and let all three schools go. (Or near the end, I thought the fourth judge might have chosen someone that wasn't the top 3 favs. And then maybe by audience fav or something they'd pull through--something that would cheapen the performance but then be like well mom heard us so that's all that mattered.) Overall, 9/10 as an anime and 10/10 for a story line. It'd be a 10, but those beginning episodes had some tragic panels... and again. I almost lost my interest two episodes ago. Beautiful execution (down to the soundtrack and seiyuus--literally they portrayed it so well--especially for someone like me with no music background to grasp the emotion of the composition...that's difficult compared to other music animes that wreck me emotionally on the story alone.) --- I get why they had us with suspense to truly be able to understand the contrast of "what's good music", but I feel like I didn't really...want to root for the others? Maybe, that's a story line issue and not an anime as a whole issue. I appreciate the character development and the act of suspense, but I never really felt the suspense of being...split down the vote? While they spent the time to get into the backstory of the other two schools--I felt a very acidic taste in the back of my throat. I suppose it's the too real reality of competitions and prodigies; it took the fun and personalities out of them...
sigh. I kind of wish there was an approachable rival who wasn't cocky, but also not arrogant.

Weasalopes said:
The folks who have read the manga all seem to think there isn't enough materials left for a third season...

OVA! OVA! OVA!

Chant it with me now!
I totally agree with this comment; even though I'd die for a third season, I don't want to ruin that second season climax. (P.S. Was it just me who thought it was expertly done, that it seemed like Chika was presenting the national prize-- like a flash forward--- even though it was the qualifiers? It really highlighted how important this show--- as far as not being the last is.) Maybe it'd be filler, but I'd love to see them perform in other ways that aren't under the pressure of their goal/cliche of achieving high school dreams. Maybe solo competitions (if those exist), or a jump into composing... something that doesn't turn-- this music...these memories into a competition.

(Noted, maybe I just need to read the manga to experience this in a way that doesn't cheapen the anime?)
Ventus_S said:

Actually it's not like there isn't enough material, more like the rest of the chapters isn't fully get translated into other language. The manga has gone quite far ahead since, believe it or not, this is a pretty old serie.

...on second thought :< there goes hopes of reading it to the end.
KaguyachinchinMay 27, 2020 1:31 AM
Jun 8, 2020 10:55 PM

Jan 2008
Truly a beautiful anime. Very well done, and moving, and with lots of interesting characters... I hope there's a third season :). This made me happy.
Jun 10, 2020 7:57 PM
Feb 2020
Great Anime and great last episode! I love how, unlike most anime, this anime was able to make you question who was going to win and make it to Nationals!

I feel like they made a good episode to finalize the series, if they don't plan on making a 3rd season (or even movie) just to show them at Nationals. I feel like they should, just because I personally want to see them at Nationals and I want to keep hearing the music from this anime.

But, again, if they don't make another season or movie, they did an excellent series' finale and I'll still be happy with this series.

The emotions were right on point. When they wanted us to feel sad, happy, etc. we (the audience) felt that emotion.

I like the way that they were able to tie in loose ends and help show the growth of the relationships that needed fixing and growth (like the mom and daughter (don't want to misspell her name)). They did it in such a way, that you could easily be happy whether or not they make another season.

If they make another season, or even make a movie, I will definitely be watching that.

Again, I loved the episode, series, the music, animation (for the most part)... everything.

I would rate the series, season, and episode a 10/10.
Salutations! In the name of Saturn, I'll punish you!
Jul 29, 2020 10:31 PM

Feb 2018
Well that was... ok I guess. Wish I had a stronger reaction one way or the other. Definitely not bad, but nothing particularly unique or special here. Felt a little like Chihayafuru w/ Koto, except not quite as good.

Houzaki was probably the most interesting character, but it felt like most of the characters were underdeveloped. Like did we ever learn anything about Michitaka (the heavy guy)?

Chika had potential but his character arc seemed like he went straight from angry delinquent to basically being a perfect Gary Stu.

Takezou? He had that brief thing with his brother but not much else.

Hiro went from villain to dutiful member in like an episode.

Kouta's character was one note (pardon the pun).

I barely remember Sane at all.

Suzuka-sensei was kind of interesting.

Wasn't a bad series, more just a whole lotta "meh" and been-there-and-seen that high school club melodrama.

First season was 6.5/10 and second season was 7.5/10. So overall: 7/10.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Aug 23, 2020 5:55 PM
Oct 2019
What that judge said about a performance transcending language and culture is absolutely right. I didn't know what a "koto" was AT ALL until I started this show. But I quite enjoy the music that is played.

The last 3 episodes were really solid this season, better than the season as a whole. But still about 7/10 overall for season 2.

Tetsuki is an enigma. Smart, intuitive, empathetic. What's his story? So bizarre.

Good that the Hozukis reconciled but I thought it'd have a more profound impact on me than it did. It was lacking "something". And where the heck did that old grandma saboteur go? She disappeared. She didn't get her comeuppance.

I hope there's a season 3 and we get to see them compete in nationals (obvi). But I want to see them at the club festival thing. Do they recruit any new members?
HagePotPotatoAug 23, 2020 6:35 PM
Sep 27, 2020 2:32 PM

Apr 2010
The fact that this anime has an higher score than Beastars is beyond my imagination haha
It's your typical musical anime.. it's no better than Hibike Euphorium
Oct 19, 2020 7:04 PM

Apr 2017
i wanna read the manga but gonna miss the music
Nov 2, 2020 2:22 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
DID IT REACH HER- oh wait wrong anime

So her mother went from excommunicating her own daughter to taking her back simply after listening to her play once again? Well yes, I guess that part of the theme of this series is the power of music. I mean they always mention over and over “the sound” that is unique to you that you give off when you play. Maybe this time her emotions of forgiveness were conveyed instead of those of anger when she initially rebelled her mother during her performance that severed their relationship. That said... it’s a little too convenient, and easy, that her mother completely did a 180 just from listening to her daughter perform again. Well how else to explain it other than, music can be moving.

Giving a few moments showing the two runner up teams coping with the defeat was a great touch. Of course there’s the joy of our main team winning, but often it is forgotten the other parties that have to embrace their loss. Taiga being an ultimate sport and cheering her rivals on to the nationals, and kudo responding with resounding confidence was great to see. Maybe that stirred up hope in herself as well. Haven’t read the manga, but I hope the continuation covers the development of her character as well as her whole team. Would be great to see in a next season, sigh. L from death note thanking his advisor for writing the music that he loved was touching as well.

Just wish we could’ve get more of kudo being a chad moments. At least we kind of got four eyes being a chad moments, even though his character was kind of pushed to the side this season considering he’s kind of the main character... but nah I guess it’s the whole team as a whole who makes up the main character.

I don’t mind the adaption ending here on this note, especially the final post credits scene with them once again practicing away. I think the most important points have been stated, in that being combine your hard work and practice with the emotion you feel into your music... or something along the lines of that, who knows. I just think that even though we haven’t covered going to the nationals, I think they’re journey up until this qualification point has been the most important part of their journey. They’ve already overcome so many conflicts, especially satowa with her mother, that I actually see this as the climax. Forget the nationals, that can be some extra content or ova or whatever.

Solid anime. Loved the characters, loved the SOUND of the koto. You just don’t get the music when reading manga do you? Yeah one more season to show their journey to nationals would be superb. But apparently this didn’t sell all too well so it’s wishful thinking at this point. That said, these 2 seasons were great, and am more than satisfied with what we got. 7/10

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 22, 2020 1:00 PM
Jul 2020
Yessss, I can finally put this anime on my favorites list^^ I got pretty emotional this episode and teared up a few times..don't mind that my mascara got ruined.
Nov 30, 2020 12:48 AM
Oct 2020
we need season threeeeeeeeeee 😭😭😫
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2019

142 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 5:31 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2019

49 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

49 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 18, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2019

43 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 16, 5:14 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2019

61 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 16, 4:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.