Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 23, 2019 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good idea for the club to consider their roles after their latest talk with Takinami.

Satowa and Chika's character was interesting to see considering how much both has been through up to this point. On the other hand, Dojima gathered a meeting and it wasn't a pretty sight. Glad to see Akira finally speaking her mind though.
Nov 23, 2019 8:25 AM

Nov 2007
While the members found their "roles" in the club, the old lady tries to crush the club using the main guy's past wrongdoing. The teacher is strong enough to fight for the club now. It seems like the koto girl's mother still worries about her own daughter now even though she's not a part of association anymore. Nice advice by NamiDai's character as always.

The competition begins next.
tsubasaloverNov 30, 2019 9:05 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 23, 2019 9:24 AM

Apr 2010
I always hear sad stories about old people being lonely in a retirement home never seeing their family that's why i always think it's a bad thing when people end up there.
However in this case i think that poisonous old woman really needs to be locked up in one since she is obviously obsessed in ruining things for others, i feel sorry for Akira having such a grandmother.
And it was a good think she stood up against her grandmother for ones.
Nov 23, 2019 10:02 AM

Apr 2016
So this is how Frodo felt when he destroyed the ring.
Nov 23, 2019 10:12 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
While Hozuki, Chika and Takezou are the leads Adachi also serves well to act as the foundation that holds the piece together. Its nice to see Akira and Houzuki get along so well now that their differences have been settled. Her gran though is another matter in her attempts to stop Houzuki from enjoying her life with like minded friends. Akira's counterattack via her outburst though was just so satisfying as for the first time she's making her own stand against her. Its also nice that Houzuki's mother also showed some advancement as well in terms of attitude towards her daughter. Arguably the greatest reveal here was Houzuki's reveal to her friends the circumstances of her family for while it can be hard by doing so she is able to forge a stronger bond with her friends that built on trust. With the members of the team now fully focused and their emotional baggage cleared im looking forward to seeing their performance in the qualifiers.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2019 10:23 AM

Aug 2013
Akira's grandmother is one nasty woman. Good Akira defended the club. She changed a lot and I'm starting to like her.

Takinami sensei still giving great advice to the club.

I'm looking forward to the competition.

Nov 23, 2019 10:35 AM
May 2017
Akira verbally destroying her grandma was badass.
Nov 23, 2019 10:39 AM

Dec 2015
This Episode is Great! I like how Akira defended the club against her grandmother's plan to take down the club and I like how Akira's Character developed since the episode she showed I'm excited how the competition will go this time, I'm looking forward to the next competition.
Nov 23, 2019 10:53 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

I loved how Akira stood up for Satowa and everyone in the club against her grandmother. Awesome moment and it's good to see that everyone else in the Hozuki family council are much better people then her grandmother.

Always heartwarming to see Satowa feel so loved among the group. :)

Swagernator said:
So this is how Frodo felt when he destroyed the ring.

Hahaha. XD
Nov 23, 2019 11:52 AM
Jul 2019
Well then nice to see Akira bashing her evil grandma.
Nov 23, 2019 12:31 PM

Jan 2016
Anyone else notice the opening change? Right at the end when Hozuki falls, instead of Akira staring off into the distance, she caught her
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Nov 23, 2019 12:55 PM

Jun 2013
MaskOfIce said:
Anyone else notice the opening change? Right at the end when Hozuki falls, instead of Akira staring off into the distance, she caught her

She's also in the picture at the end

ChoiDalDalNov 23, 2019 1:00 PM
Nov 23, 2019 2:59 PM

Jun 2014
MaskOfIce said:

Yesss! I was just about to write the same comment and I noticed yours.
June!
Nov 23, 2019 3:16 PM

Jan 2016
The power of a Manga that is so well written that a low budget anime adaptation still is so good!

Nov 23, 2019 3:42 PM
Apr 2015
One of the best episode so far from this season.
Nov 23, 2019 3:45 PM

Mar 2019
Akira you rock. Also just hoping that they don't leave us on a massive cliffhanger like last season.
Nov 23, 2019 4:05 PM

Oct 2009
And, well, there's the difference between a character that can grow and one that can't. Akira and her grandma show off this contrast perfectly well, and damn that meeting was intense. Even more so with Satowa's mother.
It's also interesting that while Chika's so desperately searching for his own sound, he basically becomes the glue that holds everyone together, in a way the soul of the group as a whole.

RiverboatRam said:
Akira you rock. Also just hoping that they don't leave us on a massive cliffhanger like last season.

On the other hand, if they do, that'd make getting a third season almost certain, so I wouldn't much mind it.
Nov 23, 2019 4:11 PM

Apr 2018
it was a great feeling seeing evil hag getting crushed
Nov 23, 2019 5:12 PM
Nov 2010
Terrific episode. Just awesome.

If they keep up this pace of two or so manga chapters per episode, cut some side-story bits out, and end it where I think they'll end it (chapter 54), it will be the perfect bow on this anime.

When I read this, I never really got the feeling that the author had anime in mind, but the timing of events fits almost too well for it to be a coincidence.
Nov 23, 2019 5:44 PM

Mar 2019
Someone needs to falcon punch that old hag back into the Edo period. I knew Akira would be changed by the group and become nice, good on her for shutting down her grandmother!
SwizzeNov 23, 2019 5:50 PM
Nov 23, 2019 6:20 PM

Oct 2017
FireFistYK said:
The power of a Manga that is so well written that a low budget anime adaptation still is so good!

This might not be high budget but the direction and execution as well as pacing is good.
You can have gorgeous animation but wrong background music/ rushed plot and you can still destroy a serie easily even with good animation.
I witness this countless times. Animation won't save a serie that's directed wrong/ paced poorly.

Having a good source alone is far from enough. So many of my favourite mangas got DESTROYED by the anime adaption.
Ventus_SNov 24, 2019 12:13 AM
Nov 23, 2019 6:23 PM

Oct 2017
matheusmarq said:
One of the best episode so far from this season.

Tbh previous 2 top this episode by miles.
Not saying this one isn't good, but last 2 episodes direction and pacing is just perfect.
Nov 23, 2019 6:55 PM
Sep 2018
"I no longer have the right to be there." (or words to that effect.)

Letter in the mail, "Dear mother, if it please you, could you attend the performance we will be giving at the National Preliminary Competition..." (or words to that effect.)

I have to agree with what everyone else has been saying. This is really incredible stuff.

Oh, that old biddy? She'd look good as an empty space.
I'm afraid that while everyone else may find their own personal redemption and rebirth, her heart has become too poisoned by ambition for that to occur; it would take some truly incredible story development for me to believe in her changing her tune; she wouldn't even be able to fake it, her heart is so shriveled. The Grinch ain't got nothing on her.
Nov 23, 2019 7:43 PM

Dec 2016
It was nice to see Akira destroy her grandmother's evil intentions. She wasn't expecting her to talk back at her X) It was about time someone stops her before she brakes someone's heart.

More Chika x Hozuki moments. I like it! But I was expecting her to open more at him, not just ofering something to drink or eat -w-;

Great episode!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Nov 23, 2019 8:36 PM

Aug 2014
I love watching elderly women get assaulted.
Sieg Zeon!
Nov 23, 2019 9:30 PM

Feb 2018
BASED AKIRA rekt her grandmother, that was so satisfying to watch.

Competition hypeee
Nov 24, 2019 1:44 AM

Nov 2012
So glad Akira stood up to her grandmother. Obaba! I'm happy the master spoke out too.
Nov 24, 2019 4:38 AM

Sep 2011
Is every episode just going to be this good? I'm so happy for Sane, I'm sure it meant the world to him, to be acknowledged as the "core" of the team, as the one who is capable of bringing their sounds together. It's an important role after all. Takezou not listening to Kurusu just because she was being radiant was cute too. And I like how he told Kudou that his sound is his soul/heart itself. This helped him realize what role he should be playing, what is good since he was starting to get desperate to be able to stand beside Houzuki. And also because it's meaningless if they can't go to Nationals this year because of Takezou and Kurusu. These two have really good kouhais. Houzuki told Kudou all the story behind that piece too, and she felt once again accepted, and cared for. Wishing she could one day repay all of this warmth she has received from him, and it's just too precious.

She also told the others, and the showdown is finally coming up, I'm sure the payoff is going to be amazing. Oh, and Akira! She was so cool! I got really worried for a moment there, when her grandmother tried to use what happened in Kudou's past against him again, but Akira stood her ground for him, Houzuki, and the club. And the others listened to her! I was afraid that her grandmother was going to faint or something, and become the victim of the situation but thankfully it didn't happen, Akira just destroyed her schemes. And she even invited Houzuki's mother to go, and listen to her daughter and her club. And I think Houzuki did the same with that letter. Here's hoping she will go, and if she doesn't go now, I hope that she will go to listen to them in Nationals.
Nov 24, 2019 5:25 AM
Jul 2018
It was a great episode!

Akira finally defended everyone in the club against her grandmother.
I really wonder how their performance will be at the end of the season ^^
Nov 24, 2019 8:52 AM

Apr 2011
I have more respect for Akira now! Her grandmother sucks a lot!

Nov 24, 2019 10:54 AM

Mar 2008
I'm so glad Akira stood up to her grandmother. Satowa's mom also wasn't having any of that.
Nov 24, 2019 11:21 AM

Mar 2017
My opinion of Akira just did a complete turn around in this episode! What she did was so brave and she finally shut that bitter old bitch up haha

I found the scene between Chika and Takezou very sweet; i feel like their friendship needs developing more because they hardly interact outside of practice anymore!
Nov 24, 2019 12:48 PM

Mar 2012
I take back everything bad I ever said about Akira.

ChoiDalDal said:
MaskOfIce said:

She's also in the picture at the end

Yup!
Nov 24, 2019 4:04 PM

Jul 2016
Well, I guess the power of Koto wasn't enough to redeem Akira's grandmother. She will remain as one-dimensional as she always was. Honestly, the "villain for the sake of being villain" kind of characters are one of the narrative devices I hate the most in stories that are supposed to be serious. I just can't take them seriously and as a result, my enjoyment in the final work ends up being highly affected.
In retrospective, Akira's grandmother made me remember how much I hated the first arc with that vice-director who wanted Chika's head for some reason. Curious how them both used the same "Chika is a delinquent" excuse to disband the club, by the way.

Anyways, leaving the grandma issue aside, it was still a decent episode. The scenes featuring Chika were easily my favorites, especially the last one with Satowa.
The sequence with Akira finally standing up to grandma was also satisfying to see but as I said, the fact that the latter's character was so poorly written lessened the impact of the scene a lot.

And so this arc concludes. Honestly, the beginning of it and Akira's introduction weren't that good but the overall development, leaving grandma's persona aside, was quite pleasant to see. Now, let's see how the group will affront the Nationals...
OH HELL NO! Satowa's fan girl will return next episode D:
Nov 24, 2019 4:06 PM

Oct 2008
HA! serves you right old hag!!!
that was satisfying!
5/5.

Nov 25, 2019 3:43 AM

Jun 2019
Oh Kamisama!
Lend me the power to slap that obaachan!

*Later

Thanks to Akira, now i don't think to need that power again.
Nov 25, 2019 1:52 PM
Aug 2018
It was very heart warming to see the change they did to the OP, it put a smile on my face, Akira clapped her grandmother was great, can't wait to hear the performance :D
Nov 25, 2019 7:47 PM
Mar 2015
In your face ,Grandma Our babies have soul
Nov 26, 2019 2:40 AM

May 2018
That was a heartwarming episode, finally the club became strong again now that Dojima joins. They are now stronger than even after hearing Hozuki's story. Looking forward to the qualifiers.

Nov 26, 2019 9:24 AM

Jul 2015
God, that was so good! Akira not handling more of her grandma's bullshit was insanely satisfying, she saw more than enough how hard the members of the club work over the course of this season and couldn't handle more the bad words towards them, blessed.
Nov 26, 2019 4:32 PM

Jul 2017
Finally, Akira shows up in the OP with the rest of the Koto Club! What a momentual change for the better if you ask me.

With the weight burdened on Akira teaching the Koto Club, the other members are gearing up to find meaning and role for their play to help ease her thoughts, and rightfully so, as the club changes to performance mode.

And with how much Chika has changed his foreboding tune, he tuned the sound to his soul. He found where he was able to be, but asking Hozuki for advice about tuning the song to the soul.

And Akira's revolt at home, especially to her sly cunning grandmother, even with her extensive "stalking" research, WAS SATISFYING. Even with Hozuki's excommunicated school, her mum DID ADMIT HER FAULTS, and stayed at where she was. The biggest winner was Akira, who finally walked out of the clutches of her overconspicuous grandmother.

With everyone in tune with their sound, it's off to the Nationals!
Nov 27, 2019 10:41 AM

Jun 2016
so compfy and heartwarming !!!!

one of the best drama anime so far this season !!!
Nov 27, 2019 8:44 PM

Oct 2017
What a great episode :”) Every ep makes me so emotional now ;;;;
Nov 28, 2019 8:25 PM

May 2016
This was another favourite episode of this show.

NirvashX1 said:
so compfy and heartwarming !!!!

one of the best drama anime so far this season !!!
I second this.
Nov 29, 2019 1:24 PM

Apr 2016
I’m finding this second season so boring, too much drama and for that, the pacing seems less enjoyable. I prefer a lot the first one.
Nov 29, 2019 3:50 PM

Oct 2017
HectorBlaze said:
I’m finding this second season so boring, too much drama and for that, the pacing seems less enjoyable. I prefer a lot the first one.

Maybe this anime is not for you because it's really a big drama to begin with.
You'd be lying if you think Season 1 has less drama lolz.. Someone sure is forgetful.
Nov 29, 2019 4:24 PM

Apr 2016
Ventus_S said:
HectorBlaze said:

Maybe this anime is not for you because it's really a big drama to begin with.
You'd be lying if you think Season 1 has less drama lolz.. Someone sure is forgetful.

Nah. The first season was a lot better on pacing, probably it’s because there wasn’t that much drama like in this second season. Everything was more enjoyable and “fluid”, the “new” characters of the series bring with them more drama, if there will be other new characters, probably they will bring other more drama. It’s becoming boring, for me it’s too much. So, that’s it, nothing more, nothing less.
Finally, avoid statements about me, you don't know me, I don’t know you.
Nov 30, 2019 6:28 PM

Mar 2009
I love Akira so much. Great addition to the cast.
Nov 30, 2019 9:19 PM
Apr 2008
Does anyone have any idea what the bit of interstitial music is playing at 21m24s to 22m08s? I feel like I've heard this tune before, but I can't seem to recall where. I've tried Shazam and had no luck.
Dec 1, 2019 5:59 AM

Dec 2014
hmmer development so much charact
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

117 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2019

142 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 5:31 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2019

49 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

49 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 18, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2019

43 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 16, 5:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.