Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2019 10:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another episode, another case dealing with murder.

This anime has a bunch of flameboyant characters and the guy in the yellow outfit didn't waste much time presenting himself. Seems the anime also contains some dark humor. I wish I could like the characters more though. Some of them just seems too weird.
Oct 25, 2019 11:51 AM
Sep 2015
That lawyer now owed a lot to the pub owner that gives 5 million yen motivation to prove his innocent, being rich is very helpful in flirting straight guys.
Oct 25, 2019 12:08 PM

Aug 2013
The pub owner always scares me...

Sherlock's dirty joke about boner.

Oct 25, 2019 12:39 PM

Mar 2016
They use very complex Japanese in this anime and I feel forced to depend on the subtitles.

I thought this was either adapting the Orange Pips or the Blue Carbuncle or the one about the son being arrested for killing his dad, but none of them felt right. I feel oddly left out not knowing which part had been adapted.

It's sad, but it appears Moriarty might be the bad guy here just like his book counterpart. I don't want to hate this blanket of cuteness!!

I noticed that Sherlock doesn't deduce things as much as he does in the books. I wonder why they removed the almost-magical-sounding deductions. They used to be the best parts about the books.
Oct 25, 2019 12:48 PM
May 2017
Ah yes the classic I never said it was poison twist. I feel bad for the detective with glasses though. I wish the mysteries weren't so predictable.
Oct 25, 2019 12:49 PM

Sep 2018
I'm pretty sure that the rest of the story will look like this:
-for another 4-5 episodes there will be 1 random crime solving per episode, while trying to compete with the other detectives
-something big will happen with Sherlock, Watson or Moriarty
-Sherlock will argue with Watson, and they'll break apart
-they'll apologise to each other, right before the confrontation with Jack the ripper (or Moriarty depending on how the story will progress)
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Oct 25, 2019 1:15 PM

Jan 2017
FuMomo-kun said:
They use very complex Japanese in this anime and I feel forced to depend on the subtitles.

I thought this was either adapting the Orange Pips or the Blue Carbuncle or the one about the son being arrested for killing his dad, but none of them felt right. I feel oddly left out not knowing which part had been adapted.

It's sad, but it appears Moriarty might be the bad guy here just like his book counterpart. I don't want to hate this blanket of cuteness!!

I noticed that Sherlock doesn't deduce things as much as he does in the books. I wonder why they removed the almost-magical-sounding deductions. They used to be the best parts about the books.

I would rule out 5 Orange Pips since it had a
responsible for the murder and nothing resembling them appeared till mid-episode.

Hmm Moriarty with three clovers in his notebook. Keeping track of Jack the Ripper's victims perhaps?
Oct 25, 2019 1:38 PM

Dec 2014
hmm the case and what not...but why is sherlock not helping the doctor
Oct 25, 2019 2:17 PM

May 2018
Give me PU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watta way for Hudson to say.

Welp neat freak detective is wrong again...OMG
Oct 25, 2019 2:39 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Characters are so unbearable and so boring... 1/5 episode for me
Oct 25, 2019 2:47 PM

Feb 2019
This episode was generally made to drop hints on the Ripper case. The episode itself was bland, though. Can't wait for the development or Moriarty.
Blu_Jay_Oct 26, 2019 5:07 AM
Oct 25, 2019 3:02 PM

Mar 2019
Oh shit this is terrible
Adding transexual people and making the main character a filthy hobo isn't enough to create a good show
The cases he resolves aren't even hard a 14 yo could do better
Oct 25, 2019 4:33 PM
Jul 2017
There seem to be a lot of foreshadowing and hinting in this episode.

Oct 25, 2019 5:32 PM

Oct 2009
Okay, that OP is crazy good. The song fits the anime very well, and the visuals supplement it nicely.

That gift Moriarty gets from the 3 ladies... I didn't know whether to laugh or to feel sorry for him. Especially when he's even teased afterwards. All on his birthday. xD I wonder what the deal with him is: his age and relative blandness to the others makes him come off as somewhat of a misfit amidst all the "crazies". (Mrs Hudson really doesn't mind age differences, huh? xD)

The case was a bit dull though, B-Zo's character and the silly stellar names felt like they were carrying everything else here, with the "side dishes" of Watson's living arrangement and Moriarty's secrets standing out more.
Oct 25, 2019 7:14 PM

Sep 2017
Lmao at the boner joke. I know basically nothing about OG Sherlock Holmes so I have no idea what to expect, but I hope we see the other detectives eventually solve something themselves.

Nice that we got some more context on why Watson came to the east side.
Oct 25, 2019 7:50 PM

Aug 2019
Ok, so I don't hate this anime as much as did a while ago, don't know why tho. My original score for this show was a 4/10 but now I'm giving it a 6. I guess I tried to do as some of the comments told and didn't take it seriously and it indeed made the experience SLIGHTLY more enjoyable.

Wonder how they're gonna play off Moriarty.

I also just found out that the gay dude(the bar owner) is supposed to be Mrs. Hudson. WTFF?
Oct 25, 2019 7:53 PM

Aug 2019
wilfang said:
There seem to be a lot of foreshadowing and hinting in this episode.

Oct 25, 2019 7:56 PM

Aug 2019
Thorckan said:
Oh shit this is terrible
Adding transexual people and making the main character a filthy hobo isn't enough to create a good show
The cases he resolves aren't even hard a 14 yo could do better

True dat.

Never though I could see such a dull Sherlock adaptation in my life
Oct 25, 2019 8:55 PM

Oct 2015
B-zo and Cosmo's plan was really mediocre, those guys were super nincompoops. Big ups to Sherlock for busting them.

"He must be here stand by me", you gotta love Fuyuto :-D :-D
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 25, 2019 9:39 PM
Jul 2018
this was decent fun episode still overall very bad show especially the cases have been simply awful.
Oct 25, 2019 10:39 PM

Mar 2018
Hmm I think I will put it on hold for now.. Feel like this would be better to watch without one week gap.
Ngl the cases are somewhat interesting but with the setting it feels kinda ridiculous to me. I would still like to know why no one cared for Gaia in the end. Maybe it was just missing screen time but on top of Cosmos not being dead, he killed his brother who has a wife and son.

Anyways, they drop many hints regarding the Jack the Ripper case before the random crime starts. I believe for me it'd be better to marathon this so on-hold.

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 25, 2019 10:44 PM

Oct 2012
I really don't see what's wrong with the cases, as other commenters have opined, except for the fact that they're solved very quickly. I'm sure there will be some longer arcs though.
Oct 25, 2019 10:50 PM

Jun 2014
Moriarty continues to look pretty suspicious.......
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 25, 2019 10:52 PM

Oct 2017
Another case and it was meh. The cleanfreak detective and that police guy are total idiots. Anyway I'm looking forward to see Moriarty do something.
Oct 26, 2019 2:09 AM
Apr 2013
FuMomo-kun said:

This one is referencing 'The Adventure of the Norwood Builder' from The Return of Sherlock Holmes.
The main beads of the story were there, the actual perp making a will with the guy he wants to get to jail, making it seem like he died, while hiding somewhere. The 'mum deciding for another guy part' was also just like the original. The things were changed are that in the original the perp didn't kill the dad of the victim (and they weren't related as well). Overall an interesting episode again. Wonder which one they'll choose next week.
By the way, the one you mentioned about a son being arrested for killing his dad is 'The Boscombe Valley Mystery'.
Play2XOct 26, 2019 2:13 AM
Oct 26, 2019 4:06 AM

Mar 2016
Play2X said:
FuMomo-kun said:

This one is referencing 'The Adventure of the Norwood Builder' from The Return of Sherlock Holmes.
The main beads of the story were there, the actual perp making a will with the guy he wants to get to jail, making it seem like he died, while hiding somewhere. The 'mum deciding for another guy part' was also just like the original. The things were changed are that in the original the perp didn't kill the dad of the victim (and they weren't related as well). Overall an interesting episode again. Wonder which one they'll choose next week.
By the way, the one you mentioned about a son being arrested for killing his dad is 'The Boscombe Valley Mystery'.

Yes! That was the title! Boscombe Valley Mystery. I forgot about that one!

I see. This episode was from The Return of Sherlock Holmes. I haven't read that far yet. Can't wait to reach that part!!
Oct 26, 2019 6:00 AM

Jan 2011
I gotta wonder if Moriarty is just a big red herring since it's so obvious.
Oct 26, 2019 6:48 AM

Mar 2014
I'm just loving this anime. I needed a bit of ridiculous and extravagant in my life. I'm just having fun and enjoying the ride.

Can't help but wonder if Moriarty will turn out to be Jack The Ripper. I would love that.
Oct 26, 2019 7:00 AM

Jun 2013
I really like this series for some reason. The art style is quite nice, the voice acting is pretty good IMO, the characters are weird but likable. I don't mind the one case per episode formula because eventually they will go into an arc where they'll solve something bigger. I am guessing Moriarty's sister is that girl who fell victim to Jack the Ripper.
臭い-
Oct 26, 2019 7:34 AM
Jul 2018
thebrentinator24 said:
Moriarty continues to look pretty suspicious.......

Agreed, especially after the demise of the poor butterfly in the final scene. I suppose this is an indication regarding the real Moriarty showing up pretty soon.
Oct 26, 2019 8:54 AM

Jun 2013
It was an okay episode and Sherlock dirty joke was hilarious
Oct 26, 2019 12:44 PM

Jul 2019
what's with the butterflies? i don't recall any mentions of them in previous sherlock adaptations. or i could just be forgetting
Oct 26, 2019 1:49 PM

Sep 2011
We now know why Watson went looking for Sherlock's help, but the detective still doesn't want to hear about it. Then there's what James did to that poor butterfly, and I don't think a good person would do that. Oh, and Pu was lucky to be hot I guess. The request to prove his innocence existed because of his looks after all. lol
Oct 27, 2019 1:34 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Lol Souma-kun's English. I wonder if they really liked his performance as Honda-san and added English in the script :P

I was waiting to see James' other side. But I also really didn't want to, since he's so cute...

Anyways, I don't think the cases are all that interesting, kind of hit or miss in how things are played out, but it's not bad and I'm not itching for the episode to end. While quirky, I do like the characters so far though. I'm interested to see their character development.
Oct 28, 2019 1:31 PM
Apr 2014
Another recycled story of Sherlock Holmes (The Adventure of the Norwood Builder)

That's it, I'm quitting this one.
tomarwanOct 28, 2019 1:49 PM
Oct 29, 2019 4:51 AM

Jul 2017
I've got a bad rippin' effect and feeling that this relies on knowing most of Sherlock Holmes' many cases, without it, it'll feel very far-fetched and bland for those who've never read or understood Holmes.

Heh...a banana (contains potassium, symbol K) as the knife...but wow that skepticism to save the innocent Pu. Plus that boner joke...and the insane amount of Engrish this episode, not sure whether to laugh or chuckle at it.

Seems atypical and OK for now.
Oct 31, 2019 9:17 AM

Nov 2018
The glasses guy is bi. Too bad he ended up covering for the bad guy.
And I don't like Sherlocke but at least he solves the cases justly.
And to be honest the lawyer looked pretty cute.
I accidentally voted this episode as 'I loved it' but it was more like between okay and like (more on okay side)
The ED song is pretty good.
Nov 1, 2019 12:42 PM

Mar 2010
More on John's back story. Honestly all the other characters are irrelevant. Glasses detective can't solve anything for his life
Nov 3, 2019 2:04 PM

Apr 2012
Continuing to enjoy the directing this episode. It's interesting that Sherlock's quirkiness kind of reminds me of Columbo (rakugo aside of course).

Also interesting the choice of humanising Moriarty: youth+vengeance? At any rate this will provide some fine drama down the line.

Leo said:
Sherlock's dirty joke about boner.
The translation for this was pretty poor btw. Was more something along the lines of "they both stand up all night".
Nov 3, 2019 2:31 PM

Sep 2011
ReaperCreeper said:
I gotta wonder if Moriarty is just a big red herring since it's so obvious.
im hoping thats what it is, but we will see.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 3, 2019 2:45 PM

Apr 2012
I doubt Moriarty is Jack at least.
Nov 30, 2019 11:50 PM

Feb 2014
Pu Tanaka is literally named "mother fucker" in my language. Lol.
Apr 17, 2020 9:30 AM

Mar 2019
Well i might drop this show for now, it's OK but there are so many good anime out there i might as well start with those, can anyone tell me if it actually gets much better later on?
Jan 15, 2021 4:54 AM

Jul 2015
Kinda fucked up that cosmos killed his own brother and framed his nephew because he had a crush on his sister-in-law. Seems like Sherlock is slowly warming up to Watson seeing how he now shares the house and also knew about how Watson crossed sides.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

54 by SenChen »»
Apr 14, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2019

59 by naturalbrawler »»
Jan 15, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

27 by naturalbrawler »»
Jan 14, 11:39 AM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2019

39 by OneFaintingRobin »»
Mar 14, 2023 12:16 PM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2019

34 by EratiK »»
Sep 4, 2022 3:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.