Forum Settings
Forums

is there an anime thats really bad but you ended up enjoying it nonetheless?

New
Jun 7, 2019 12:42 PM

Jul 2017
i mean seriously bad ones with poor execution/having multiple plotholes etc

ive heard about mahou shoujo site already before watching it and its as bad as rumored
surprisingly i ended up finishing it with moderate impression and i honestly enjoyed the story for a little bit
i would say the same to mayoiga and comet lucifer
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 7, 2019 12:43 PM
Jun 7, 2019 12:43 PM

Oct 2014
A handful, but Fairy Tail is a favorite out of them all.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 7, 2019 12:45 PM

Jul 2015
https://myanimelist.net/anime/33012/Island?q=island

While I didn't think it was amazing, there were moments that did make me go "osht"
i am the ultimate one piece fanboy
Jun 7, 2019 12:55 PM

May 2009
THICKTOMATOSAUCE said:
is there an anime thats really bad but you ended up enjoying it nonetheless?

i mean seriously bad ones with poor execution/having multiple plotholes etc
I wanna say yes, but the "problem" is that if I ended up enjoying it nonetheless, that means it was effective, because I got something interesting out of it.

I think among my fave the one that I have the lowest opinion of (and actually almost dropped) is Absolute Duo. An early-in-the-show spate of fanservice almost made me dump it, but I'm glad I stuck with it because its music is awesome and its ending was gratifying.

My opinions may run orthogonal to the fandom consensus though. I actually like Absolute Duo more than comparable shows Asterisk War, Chivalry of a Failed Knight, and Hundred (and I also enjoyed Asterisk War more than Chivalry), while the MAL score for Chivalry is the highest for some reason.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 7, 2019 12:57 PM

Aug 2018
Code Geass. One of the worst written shows I've ever seen, yet one of the most thrilling rides I've ever participated in.

Regardless of how you feel about the show, you can't deny it was quite the rollercoaster.

Also, Magical Girl Site is good. Can't figure out why so many people think it's bad.
Jun 7, 2019 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
No, that'll be contradictory to my opinion that enjoyment/emotional response is based around quality(which is something I debated a lot here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1783001&show=0).

Not to imply you should or would know my opinion on the topic. I'm just stating fundamentally I disagree with the premise.
Jun 7, 2019 12:58 PM

Jul 2017
Fairy Tail takes the cake for this one. It's so flawed i don't even know where to start. Hiro Mashima does not give a damn and screws with the series however he wants, but it's still a fun ride with it's vast amount of characters and I genuinely enjoy it for the sh*tshow that it is.

Jun 7, 2019 1:21 PM

Jan 2013
Idk, I have yet to find a "bad" anime.
I watch it for the enjoyment/entertainment first (you know, like you're suppose to, worry about the nitpicks/plotholes later), just take them for what they are.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 7, 2019 1:26 PM

Oct 2017
Boku no Pico is the only correct answer here :)
Jun 7, 2019 2:06 PM

Feb 2013
peopel as usual posting only good anime here
get on my level and enjoy Genma Taisen Eve of Mythology
Jun 7, 2019 2:14 PM

Jul 2016
I know they're kind of the joke answers, but Mars of Destruction and Skelter Heaven are legit hilarious, especially when you watch them with friends
Jun 7, 2019 2:18 PM

Oct 2010
For me it's Dragonaut, sometimes it's so silly, I mean, the good guys are hiding from the bad guys so they run at a pool and they go into the pool with sexi swim suits, and then the bad guys discover them and they too change into their swim suits and go into the pool and they just start talking like in a bad romcom. And the show was supposed to be serious.
Jun 7, 2019 2:20 PM

May 2014
Charlotte was a fun watch, despite all it's flaws.
Jun 7, 2019 2:21 PM

Mar 2018
Ousama Game is one of the most unintentionally funny shows I have ever seen and every single aspect of it was bad.
Jun 7, 2019 2:22 PM

Sep 2018
Why are Manyuu Hikenchou and Seikon no qwaser rated so low? In the low 6s, I legit enjoyed both.
Jun 7, 2019 2:28 PM

Oct 2013
Easy answer, Ninja Slayer and Inferno Cop, though these are terrible on purpose.

Also all of Ikkitousen. I gave the entire series so far a 6 and it isn't as bad as other stuff I've seen,but I can't deny it's not so great compared to most anime I've seen. That being said, I enjoyed every single second of it and regret nothing.
Jun 7, 2019 2:38 PM

Mar 2016
If I enjoyed it I don't know how I could consider it 'bad.'

zieek said:
Maken-Ki! Two (worst sequel ever)

This meme needs to die.
syncrogazerJun 7, 2019 2:42 PM
Jun 7, 2019 2:39 PM
Feb 2016
Charlotte, Guilty Crown, and Danganronpa 3 became very fun to watch for how much they fell apart and the weirdly intricate nature of their problems. Some could slot an SAO series in a similar token, including Alicization despite all the boring exposition, since what holds it back is interesting to think about given concepts at play.

There’s a lot of types of bad for me. There’s barely functional bad like Hand Shakers or Gunslinger Stratos, technically functional but nonetheless agonizing to sit through bad like Mirai Nikki, The Irregular at Magic High School, or Darling in the FranXX. There’s mediocre bad like Blue Exorcist, The Familiar of Zero or Seraph of the End which just leave you disliking the whole concepts of the show without much detail to really need, and the category for shows above because what makes them fail is really interesting to talk about and explore.
SunlitSonataJun 7, 2019 2:43 PM
Jun 7, 2019 2:39 PM

Oct 2008
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon (there were amazing things happening and I honestly thought I would be missing out)

Evil or live (best way to deal with your troubled children)

Saikon no Qwazer (best ecchi anime I have seen)
Jun 7, 2019 3:01 PM

Apr 2018
Akame ga Kill was a tone-deaf edge-fest with a bare-bones plot, but it was fun in a "turn your brain off" kind of way.
Good soundtrack, awesome weapons and powers, lots of cool, well-animated fight scenes, and the penultimate episode with the giant Emperor mecha was legit pretty epic. 'Twas enough to keep me entertained, for the most part.

In a similar manner, i enjoyed Bikini Warriors. Not just 'cause of all the..."Plot", but also 'cause i liked how it made fun of classic JRPG tropes. It got a few laughs out of me, it was fun.
Jun 7, 2019 3:27 PM

Jan 2017
Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. I loved it so much I am buying the physical light novels now.
Jun 7, 2019 3:34 PM

Jun 2012
I think my enjoyment level cuts off at a series being average. I don't think I'd be able to watch a series and enjoy it while I thought it was bad. There have been series I've enjoyed until something about it started transitioning towards an unfavourable outlook, which made me start thinking of the series as bad, like Clannad or Mirai Nikki, but that was more along the lines of getting hooked and then being left disappointed halfway through and watching until the end to see if it managed to redeem itself.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 7, 2019 3:38 PM

Oct 2017
Holybaptiser said:
I think my enjoyment level cuts off at a series being average. I don't think I'd be able to watch a series and enjoy it while I thought it was bad. There have been series I've enjoyed until something about it started transitioning towards an unfavourable outlook, which made me start thinking of the series as bad, like Clannad or Mirai Nikki, but that was more along the lines of getting hooked and then being left disappointed halfway through and watching until the end to see if it managed to redeem itself.

same here, i can't think of any anime that i thought was bad but still enjoyed
Jun 7, 2019 3:41 PM

Apr 2019
Mirai Nikki is a big one for me.

Right now I'm watching Teekyuu and it would probably be another good example.

大好き "I just want to be an ancient demigod loli"
Jun 7, 2019 6:14 PM

Dec 2016
Goblin slayer. first show I gave a 10/10 that wasn't a joke score.
The simple plot and MC got to me.
Jun 7, 2019 6:24 PM
Mar 2019
Magical girl site and Akiba's trip: the animation
Jun 7, 2019 6:30 PM

Feb 2016
Eiken
According to MAL users gave it a 4.53
I gave it a 7
There's romance, but it's not how it would go irl and there are plenty of holes when it comes to it. Would have given an 8 if the romance was more prominent. Basically just a funny fan servicey show with a sprinkle of romance(if you can even call it that). There's a running gag with bananas but when I found out where the bananas were coming from, I laughed so hard I almost shit myself.
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 7, 2019 6:38 PM

Jan 2018
Another is a great example of this. I watched the whole show in one sitting, but the first thing I said when it was over was, "wow, that fucking sucked!" I give it two points for execution and eight points for enjoyment, so an average "5" overall.

Cipher's another great one. The video is an utter disaster, but holy shit if it wasn't hilarious. This clip sums the entire thing up nicely:

Rowan_F said:
I know they're kind of the joke answers, but Mars of Destruction and Skelter Heaven are legit hilarious, especially when you watch them with friends

I partially agree with this. I watched Mars with friends and it was genuinely hysterical, but I watched Skelter by myself and that 20 minutes felt like 2 hours. I think watching with friends plays a really big role. xD

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jun 7, 2019 6:40 PM

Jul 2007
Eh not really. If I like an anime I consider it good and if I don't like an anime I consider it bad.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jun 7, 2019 7:15 PM

Sep 2010
The Wiseman's Granchild airing this season. Average shit, but its still somewhat entertaining.

I think the only anime that was really bad that I enjoyed was Chargeman Ken and Diabolik Lovers cause how can I hate something that was so damn unintentionally funny?
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 7, 2019 7:23 PM
Jul 2018
Big Order
This show is utter shit. However, it is so shit, that it's hilarious. Like this clip:

Skarvalin said:
Ousama Game is one of the most unintentionally funny shows I have ever seen and every single aspect of it was bad.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that anime.
Jun 7, 2019 7:28 PM

May 2017
Back Street Girls: Gokudolls

it's just a comedy
Jun 7, 2019 7:38 PM

Feb 2019
Absolutely gotta be Isekai wa smartphone. It's awful, but fun, and has a Catchy OP & ED. So much wrong with it, but I absolutely had a blast watching it with my friends.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 7, 2019 7:41 PM
Feb 2012
my sister my writer
seeing how much uglier it got every week was joyful to me
Jun 8, 2019 8:51 AM

May 2016
Gakuen Handsome The Animation. I seriously enjoyed this one. I loved how it took BL tropes to another level of ridiculousness. Too bad the TV series isn't as good as this.

Golden Batman. I have no words to describe this. It was so bad it ended up being hilarious.
Jun 8, 2019 9:01 AM
Sep 2018
The beginning of Black Clover. I say the beginning because it got better later on. But I somehow enjoyed it at the beginning even with the screaming
Jun 8, 2019 9:29 AM

Aug 2015
Code Breaker: I finished the anime and read the entire manga even if it is just plain generic bad shonen with a reverse harem.

Danmachi: I don´t know, I feel this show is really bad.

Fate Kaleid Prisma Illya: I am embarrased about this one lol.

HighSchool DxD: I read the LN until volume 16, and I can proudly say it is extremely cringe but at the same time an above-the-average shonen. Maybe I will continue it someday.
Jun 8, 2019 9:54 AM

Nov 2014
FrankyP said:

Also, Magical Girl Site is good. Can't figure out why so many people think it's bad.

I haven't watched, so i can tell you, but maybe some acussations of being a Madoka rip off has something to do with it. Just saying.

I'm surprised anyone haven't mentioned Blood-C. I heard just bad things about it before seeing it, but i enjoyed it. Maybe it was because it gave me the gore fest i wanted to see it. Maybe it was the benefit of low expectetions. Maybe it's because i love CLAMP more than i should. Or maybe it was some pretentious intellectual interpretation i made when i watched it to justify me liking it. I don't know, and i don't care.
Jun 8, 2019 10:40 AM

Feb 2016
The latest exemple of such an anime that I've seen is Gowcaizer : Voltage, the story was ridiculous, but I liked the action and the animation nonetheless.
Jun 8, 2019 10:42 AM

Feb 2016
Pakumen- said:
Code Breaker: I finished the anime and read the entire manga even if it is just plain generic bad shonen with a reverse harem.

Danmachi: I don´t know, I feel this show is really bad.

Fate Kaleid Prisma Illya: I am embarrased about this one lol.

HighSchool DxD: I read the LN until volume 16, and I can proudly say it is extremely cringe but at the same time an above-the-average shonen. Maybe I will continue it someday.
It seems that you're torturing yourself watching this kinds of shit, I feel bad in your place tbh x)
Jun 8, 2019 1:22 PM

Jul 2017
BlancaXLobo said:
FrankyP said:

I haven't watched, so i can tell you, but maybe some acussations of being a Madoka rip off has something to do with it. Just saying.

I'm surprised anyone haven't mentioned Blood-C. I heard just bad things about it before seeing it, but i enjoyed it. Maybe it was because it gave me the gore fest i wanted to see it. Maybe it was the benefit of low expectetions. Maybe it's because i love CLAMP more than i should. Or maybe it was some pretentious intellectual interpretation i made when i watched it to justify me liking it. I don't know, and i don't care.

i can stand its edginess but there are so many unexplained random things in this anime... and plotholes too
things sometimes don't make sense and the interaction among the characters is insanely unrealistic
though i admit the story is interesting

Jun 8, 2019 1:25 PM

Jan 2009
Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Heroes, i only watch it for the nostalgia and hype action
Jun 8, 2019 1:32 PM

Feb 2019
Ventus_S said:
Boku no Pico is the only correct answer here :)
you read my mind lol ........... .............
Jun 8, 2019 1:38 PM

Jun 2015
I actually do have some anime I enjoyed despite being on the negative side of the rating.

@Elakir Hello identical Forum avatar twin.
Jun 8, 2019 1:41 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
if i thought it was really bad that means i didn't enjoy it
Jun 8, 2019 1:42 PM

May 2018
These shows are undoubtedly bad and even annoy or bore me sometimes but I still enjoyed them:
Baki 2018 (gave it a 4. The ugliest CG I ever seen, bland characters and weird battles. But man, it's Baki and it still attracts)
Kobayashi-san (about 5-6. Typical Kyoani nonsensical moe bs with waifus and fanservice. Still unobtrusive and easy enough to enjoy it)
Shingeki no Kyojin (gave it 5, 5, 4 and probably a 6 for the ongoing season. Not gonna start a dispute but I really despise main characters and half of others, they're too bad. Although I like the setting, story, music and visuals. Several characters are likeable, too. Overall I keep enjoying it for the fourth season. P.S. Mikasa is a mistake, she has no personality at all)
Nemo_NiemandJun 8, 2019 1:53 PM

Jun 8, 2019 1:57 PM

Feb 2019
Pikmin404 said:
I actually do have some anime I enjoyed despite being on the negative side of the rating.

ah no it cant be !!!one of us has to change *jk*
Looki g good over there. Sup 😂😂😂😍
Jun 8, 2019 5:12 PM

Aug 2015

To be fair I saw all of the mentioned above about 6 years ago, but still I feel they were very bad but somehow enjoyable to an extent.
Jun 8, 2019 10:22 PM

Jun 2015
Elakir said:
Pikmin404 said:

ah no it cant be !!!one of us has to change *jk*
Looki g good over there. Sup 😂😂😂😍

That'll be me, this is a placeholder, by the way.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 1 hour ago

13 by -YaoiBoy- »»
4 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 36 minutes ago

6 by APolygons2 »»
4 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

29 by ShatteredSans »»
6 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 27 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
9 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

59 by APolygons2 »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.