Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2019 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting episode. The opening theme song is quite catchy imo.

We got introduction of Takezou and Chika in the beginning. Some of their bickering moments were amusing to see. The theme of koto is evident from this episode and establishes as one of major concepts of the show. Interesting amount of focus on Chika though.

It's a good set up episode for rest of the season. Hoping the anime will give good character development since the manga has over 70+ chapters running at the moment.
Apr 6, 2019 9:33 AM

Nov 2007
Both OP and ED are nice. I cannot believe The guy who caused problem because he is not honest and easy to get misunderstood is the one who sings ED.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 6, 2019 10:44 AM

Apr 2010
Well i didn't expect that much violence to appear even if it wasn't much.
Anyway this looks very promising and i the characters where nice the main needs to man up a bit tho.
The other character seems nicer than his reputation suggests.
Apr 6, 2019 10:53 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Kono Oto Tomare's one of the best manga out there, so this was the anime I was looking forward to the most this year. I had my expectations low for this one because of the studio and staff, but it was a pretty good adaptation of the first chapter. Hopefully it keeps a 1 chapter per episode pace. Well it is confirmed to be a split-cour, so regardless of pacing, we'll get to see the first tournament animated.

The presentation was alright and animations were pretty limited, but the artwork was pretty clean with little off-modeling. I expected worse, so I'm pleasantly surprised with the visuals. And regardless of presentation, the manga's writing is great enough to carry the anime.

Uchida Yuuma gets a hella lot of main roles recently, huh? Well, he was pretty good as Kudou. At times, he even sounded like Okamoto Nobuhiko (which was the VA I wished Kudou got). Kurata's VA was pretty good too.

Both OP and ED are alright. Kanzaki's VA does the OP and Kudou's VA does the ED, so that's cool!

Overall, great start. Hopefully the adaptation keeps up the quality and pace.
GoldenDevilGamerApr 6, 2019 11:03 AM
Apr 6, 2019 11:26 AM

Apr 2014
Aversa said:
Well i didn't expect that much violence to appear even if it wasn't much.
Anyway this looks very promising and i the characters where nice the main needs to man up a bit tho.
The other character seems nicer than his reputation suggests.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
DeadlyRavenApr 7, 2019 7:27 AM
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Apr 6, 2019 11:44 AM

Jun 2013
Satowa is the real MC.
Apr 6, 2019 1:00 PM
Dec 2017
ChoiDalDal said:
Satowa is the real MC.

It's actually Takinami.
Apr 6, 2019 1:41 PM

Apr 2014
3LlTE said:
ChoiDalDal said:
Satowa is the real MC.

It's actually Takinami.

Kudou Chika is the mc nuff said.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Apr 6, 2019 1:59 PM
Jun 2016
Shows like this are why I try to watch every new show, so much to love in here :> And if I wasn't doing this I probably wouldn't have watched such a great first episode :>
Apr 6, 2019 2:31 PM

Dec 2017
wow, what the heck? they haven't even started playing yet, but i already like this. this whole build-up was quite nice and the show seems very promising. definitely gonna continue it
Apr 6, 2019 4:09 PM

Jan 2016
I'll say this, watching the first couple of minutes and the OP, I did not expect it to be as strong a first episode as it was. I started this kinda on a whim because it seemed interesting, and at the very least this episode has caught my attention. I like the dynamic between the two main characters quite a bit, I'll see if that holds true through the rest of the show.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Apr 6, 2019 4:12 PM

Jul 2013
Compared to the manga, the art for the anime is... not that great, but it's a decent episode 1
I just can't wait to hear some actual koto sounds
Apr 6, 2019 4:27 PM

Oct 2010
A lot happened in this episode but wow....very strong opening episode! Wish we could've heard the koto playing, even if it was in that flashback but I'm sure we'll hear plenty soon. Easily in my top 2 most anticipated for the season so far
Apr 6, 2019 4:44 PM

Nov 2016
I felt a bit sorry for Kudo even tho he earned his bad rep himself which ended up making matters worse for him. But ok, thing still went well eventually.

Was really looking forward to this series in particular since I'm always up for some drama. I'm not completely sold yet, but it was still a nice start for sure.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 6, 2019 5:00 PM

Sep 2009
I really like koto as an instrument so all I hope for is that we'll get somwe performances and that the drama will not be to heavy.
Apr 6, 2019 5:05 PM

Apr 2017
I was not expecting this show to start off with so much violent conflict, was certainly interesting for a start. I don't think it's going to end up being a favorite of the season, but it'll be enjoyable for sure!

I love to talk anime and manga, feel free to message me!
Apr 6, 2019 5:16 PM

Nov 2013
Was not expecting much of this anime considering the studio/staff working on it, but as a manga reader I quite enjoyed this 1st episode, underwhelming art aside that is. Pacing and atmosphere were quite decent, hope they keep up their good work on this department.

Anyway really looking forward forward to the koto performances and to see more of ma boy Chika animated.

Apr 6, 2019 5:24 PM

Mar 2010
They fully adapted the manga. The chapter one consisted of almost 70 pages, this episode adapted the entire chapter. welp the manga didnt impress me much because of the typical highschool setting, so the anime gave the same feeling. The art is good in the manga, but surprisingly is even better in the anime.

AcceleratorAngel said:
3LlTE said:

It's actually Takinami.

Kudou Chika is the mc nuff said.

Actually, the MC is the old man school principal. Mal's editor has been deceived.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenApr 7, 2019 7:25 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2019 7:03 PM
Apr 2014
Seems alot of people are just writing it off because they think its yaoi
Apr 6, 2019 7:28 PM

Oct 2015
This was a good opening episode, the characters are interesting but I didn't like the one with the glasses so far. He was more of a jerk than those three, he deserved that bullying. I like Kudo though, he's bit of a delinquent but has a heart of gold underneath.

Overall it has my priority and I want to know about this Koto, I think I will like this.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 6, 2019 7:31 PM

Mar 2019
Well that was better than I expected after the first 5 minutes. Will keep watching for now.
Apr 6, 2019 7:59 PM
Apr 2016
Very impressive first episode. Really liked the chemistry between Chika and his grandfather. The bullies were horrible, haha. High expectations set for this one.
Apr 6, 2019 8:00 PM

Jan 2011
whole time i just been wondering what the hell Koto is so that alone is keeping me interested , was not expecting the amount of drama tho

will watch and see ,funny 80% of the cast look like delinquents lol
Apr 6, 2019 8:38 PM
Jan 2019
I loved the first episode. I will definitely put this anime on my list this season. It looks promising.
I love music, I hope that this anime will surprise me in that sense 😁.
It will be a pleasure to see it together with you.
Apr 6, 2019 8:40 PM

Aug 2014
Damn I feel bad for the MC; he had the perfect club with 1:4 girls.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 6, 2019 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
well finally found something good or aots potential show from this season and also quite happy this actually turned out to be above average adaptation as I really loved the manga. Adding bit original content is cool but also rise new unnecessary issue that wasn't in the manga. Overall story was little and just adapted one single chapter but still somehow didn't felt slower than lets say with any Chihayafuru episode (the only anime I find similar to this).

There was no sign of koto from this first episode that makes me wonder if they wont actually show it? worried! :O
Apr 6, 2019 9:04 PM

Jul 2017
Pretty big episode. Not a big fan of the pacing especially with so many flashbacks/drama this early on, but at least getting it out of the way for better or worse.

After seeing Run with the Wind though, I'm hoping this is gonna be another gem
Apr 6, 2019 9:08 PM

Dec 2014
well totally invested after the first episode
Apr 6, 2019 10:08 PM

Dec 2014
Way better than what I expected. I'm already invested in the club, Chika and Kurata.

Very compelling, I was totally invested in Chika's character after I heard his backstory, made me really happy to see him want to protect what's left of his grandfather's important things.

I wish we got to see what happened to those shitty bullies, personally I think there should've been at least one scene showing Chika smacking those guys but I guess it was more compelling this way. XD

The Koto sounds cool, looking forward to learning more about it and what kind of music it produces.
Have good expectations for this. xD
Apr 6, 2019 10:24 PM
Dec 2013
Not sure if people who read the manga just knew what they were getting into but the first episode was kind of a disappointment to me. Was hoping to come into a show that revolved around some interesting characters and a musical instrument i wasn't familiar with, but it started out like an unoriginal soap opera-esque anime that throws so many tropes at you that 4 min in i could guess the exact plot of the episode. Not sure if everything gets more unique and dynamic later on but i felt the show played off its title to be something kinda different and instead just used its unique point (the koto) as an interchangeable maguffin to move the very stereotypical story along with its cookie cutter characters. All in all was just a middle ground show to me with nothing very compelling or standoutish in the first episode to drive me to keep watching, and i was just really hoping for something more. Maybe it gets better down the line, will hang around for another episode or two to see
Apr 6, 2019 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
This amazing, after reading the manga for years, I didn't expect anime to be this good.
Apr 6, 2019 10:59 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Not bad, not bad at all

I was pretty annoyed by how they treated the delinquent kid for most of the episode but apart from that, I enjoyed it quite a bit

Chika is definitely my favorite though
BarnaldApr 7, 2019 4:02 AM
Apr 6, 2019 11:30 PM

Jul 2017
Anime is back at it again with incompetent authorities cliches, the police and the teacher were incapable in doing their jobs when it comes to typical issues like that as always. Anyways, this is pretty interesting and it seems to be a good watch.

Once we realize it, everything will fall into place
Our hearts calling to the future with all their might
We'll move forward, holding each other's shaking hands
Apr 6, 2019 11:49 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Everyone likes Chika so far, which I can understand haha. But I feel bad for Takezou getting no love, although it makes sense since so far he just seems like a timid guy who is as prejudice as the other characters. Tetsuki is hands down the MVP though :P Without him, you'd still have misunderstandings and the bad guys wouldn't have fessed up.

So far though, I'm not seeing quality visuals. A bit disappointed, but at least it doesn't look like butt like the usual treatment other shoujo adaptations get. Although it's shounen... Still, why did they ask a no name studio to take charge? Especially one that has only bad series in their resume...but well, at least they seem to be serious about the adaptation, giving it two seasons. Hopefully they don't rush/omit a lot of stuff.

wolfshade09 said:
but i felt the show played off its title to be something kinda different and instead just used its unique point (the koto) as an interchangeable maguffin to move the very stereotypical story along with its cookie cutter characters.

Hmm well I assure you the story would be very different later on if it wasn't the koto, and say, it was piano or violin. The koto tradition/culture in Japan is an important part of some character development. But yes, so far, it may seem like just a hook or gimmick.
Apr 7, 2019 12:37 AM

Sep 2017
Bad animation. The boys' drama is as generic as it can be. Takezou is absolutely annoying. It's not just about his prejudice, he is annoying because he only tries to appear to be the good guy without putting much real effort in saving the club. The kind of "violence is bad" cliche is just fucking annoying from someone who can't protect anything. More so when he has already benefited from someone else who did the violence for him. Absolutely slave morality.
Apr 7, 2019 12:44 AM
Apr 2014
Ugh that opening song doesn't quite fitting for this series.

Otherwise this episode is pretty faithful to the manga. Though they could've show some actual koto play from Takezou's senpais from his flashback instead of teasing it.
Apr 7, 2019 1:01 AM

Feb 2018
Short_Circut said:
Pretty big episode. Not a big fan of the pacing especially with so many flashbacks/drama this early on, but at least getting it out of the way for better or worse.

After seeing Run with the Wind though, I'm hoping this is gonna be another gem

I bet it would be, I have read the manga. I had low expectations about the animation and direction, but it was above par. Now, if they can also pull of the sound part too, this series will hopefully reach 8.4+ by the time it ends. Don't worry about the drama part,2-3 episodes in more focus would be on character-development than drama.
and what's up with this current score of 7.3? No worries here, Run with the wind was in the same boat, hope that it will cross 8 by 4-5 episodes.
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Apr 7, 2019 1:02 AM

May 2015
I started it watching because of my liking for the traditional japanese koto music and because I have heard its manga is really good stuff, but what I have got in the first episode is mostly irritating, harsh and generic shounen school drama . I hope it will get better in the upcoming episodes, more worthy of the reputation of the manga.
Apr 7, 2019 1:05 AM

Feb 2018
Anhesenaton said:
I started it watching because of my liking for the traditional japanese koto music and because I have heard its manga is really good stuff, but what I have got in the first episode is mostly irritating, harsh and generic shounen school drama . I hope it will get better in the upcoming episodes, more worthy of the reputation of the manga.

Well it would, although the drama was not half bad either.
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Apr 7, 2019 1:06 AM

Dec 2016
When Kudo said “arigatou gozaimasu” it was SO CUTE (♥ω♥*)
Apr 7, 2019 2:00 AM
Jul 2018
Apart from the art/character designs which is vastly inferior to the manga, pacing wise it was pretty decent. Just hope that the atmosphere of the performances will be shown properly, which is one of the strengths of the manga.
Apr 7, 2019 2:03 AM
Sep 2015
Episode 1 is probable the best episode because no girl join the club yet
Apr 7, 2019 2:21 AM
Oct 2015
This anime looks very promising, not only that I cried my balls out in episode 1, Good start XD
Apr 7, 2019 2:57 AM

Oct 2012
MC had a harem before (He was the only male member in the past).
"Who knows."
Apr 7, 2019 3:02 AM

Mar 2010
wolfshade09 said:
Not sure if people who read the manga just knew what they were getting into but the first episode was kind of a disappointment to me. Was hoping to come into a show that revolved around some interesting characters and a musical instrument i wasn't familiar with, but it started out like an unoriginal soap opera-esque anime that throws so many tropes at you that 4 min in i could guess the exact plot of the episode. Not sure if everything gets more unique and dynamic later on but i felt the show played off its title to be something kinda different and instead just used its unique point (the koto) as an interchangeable maguffin to move the very stereotypical story along with its cookie cutter characters. All in all was just a middle ground show to me with nothing very compelling or standoutish in the first episode to drive me to keep watching, and i was just really hoping for something more. Maybe it gets better down the line, will hang around for another episode or two to see

Based on the first episode? The animation is cool, but I don't expect any unique original soundtrack or dramatic atmosphere. They could have exaggerate Kudo's emotion and many more in certain part, but .. lets just see how it goes.

and
Viz said:
Ugh that opening song doesn't quite fitting for this series.

Otherwise this episode is pretty faithful to the manga. Though they could've show some actual koto play from Takezou's senpais from his flashback instead of teasing it.

haha yeah i skipped the opening after 10-20seconds

btw
CHC said:
Bad animation. The boys' drama is as generic as it can be. Takezou is absolutely annoying. It's not just about his prejudice, he is annoying because he only tries to appear to be the good guy without putting much real effort in saving the club. The kind of "violence is bad" cliche is just fucking annoying from someone who can't protect anything. More so when he has already benefited from someone else who did the violence for him. Absolutely slave morality.

but dude...the story is EXACTLY the same as in the manga..i guess you are gonna be disappointed at starts when you read the manga too. haha
although, the animation imo is good and not bad
Sebastian333Apr 7, 2019 3:06 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2019 3:05 AM

Jul 2015
Great first episode, damn that gave me strong feels.

That was a very nice introduction to Kudou and Kurata's characters, very well handled backstories, really looking forward to the next episode!
Apr 7, 2019 3:11 AM
Mar 2017
I started to read the Manga a few weeks ago but stopped at around chapter 10. I did not like the character design, decreasing role in the story and personality of the "protagonist" Takezou.
but the anime kind of fixed his design, I feel like the pacing is better, and this is a music anime so Anime have an edge over Manga, if they pull it correctly, which I hope they do. so I'm going to follow this Anime and if it manages to capture me and make me see it in a new light, I will go back to the Manga once the Anime finishes.
Apr 7, 2019 3:21 AM

Mar 2016
I don't understand why fictional bullies go as far as committing crimes. This does not look like the right genre for criminal-level bullies.

Other than that, this anime was awesome! Can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 7, 2019 3:40 AM

Feb 2018
zagan93 said:
I started to read the Manga a few weeks ago but stopped at around chapter 10. I did not like the character design, decreasing role in the story and personality of the "protagonist" Takezou.
but the anime kind of fixed his design, I feel like the pacing is better, and this is a music anime so Anime have an edge over Manga, if they pull it correctly, which I hope they do. so I'm going to follow this Anime and if it manages to capture me and make me see it in a new light, I will go back to the Manga once the Anime finishes.

Sorry to break it to you but Takezou is not the main protagonist. If u have to chose one, the male lead would be kudou chika and female lead Houzuki Satowa.
Apr 7, 2019 3:50 AM

Oct 2012
Good episode overall.
As a manga reader, I'm happy it got adapted at all though I did expect different, more quality from art and animation.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2019

126 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 4:11 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2019

59 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2019

47 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2019

57 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2019

54 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 3, 2:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.