Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 3, 2018 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was a pretty melancholic episode and there's a lot of real emotions going on.

I think it adapted the White Storm chapters pretty well in regards of characterizing Souya. The storytelling almost feels like a work of art. On a lighter note, I'm glad to see more of the light humor with the Kawamoto family again. The way they cook their eggs is a thing of beauty :D

Glad to hear news about Nikaidou this episode. The show wouldn't feel the same without him.
Feb 3, 2018 9:10 AM

Jan 2018
A transition episode. So glad Nikaidou is energetic.
Feb 3, 2018 10:00 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

So Souya is not truly deaf but rather his hearing comes and goes and more often than not he doesn't actually hear anything.

The Kawamoto family's soft boiled egg experiments were kinda funny. So much work put into a boiled egg. xD

Rei's completely engrossed in thinking about his match with Souya, was real nice of Shimada to tell him that he shares his sentiment of having had so much fun playing against Souya.

The best part of the episode was most definitely the ending, I love how this show can make the most simple things feel so damn powerful. Rei laughing after seeing Nikaidou so energetic after coming back from the hospital was so beautiful and made me really emotional, I couldn't stop smiling for that entire last scene.
Hope Nikaidou gets the move named after him. XD
Feb 3, 2018 10:18 AM

Apr 2016
It sucks that the next episode would not be out sooner than march 3th.
SwagernatorFeb 3, 2018 10:26 AM
Feb 3, 2018 10:19 AM
Sep 2015
Souya invites Rei to enter the world without sound with him, I love when it's raining when Rei read Souya record while waiting for Nikaidou, so rain is the symbolic of Souya

Anyway, the worst thing is the three weeks hiatus!
Feb 3, 2018 10:25 AM

Mar 2013
I LOVE THE OLYMPICS, BUT I'M NOT READY FOR A THREE-WEEK HIATUS.
This episode was so good, Nikaidou is so pure ;-;

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 3, 2018 10:26 AM

Jan 2015
Is it me or did Rei laugh for the first time here? It was really a great moment.
begijaFeb 3, 2018 10:34 AM
Feb 3, 2018 10:37 AM

Sep 2015
Can words express pure joy?

We may have to wait a daunting three weeks for this amazing series to come back, but right now, this smile is all I need.

See you in three weeks, Rei.
Feb 3, 2018 10:47 AM

Jun 2015
This White Storm arc was really good, I loved it. The Kawamoto family making boiled eggs was funny. I'm glad Nikaidou is going great. It's amazing he came up with his own move. Rei laughing after seeing Nikaidou so energetic was simply the best thing. I don't remember the last time he laughed. It's a shame this show is going on a three-week hiatus. I'll be waiting.
Feb 3, 2018 10:51 AM

Jun 2015
Yes, that ending was wholesome :)
Feb 3, 2018 11:00 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
3-gatsu no Lion-------3 week hiatus---------resumes on 3rd------------of the 3rd month =======> Half Life 3 confirmed. GG.

3/3
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Feb 3, 2018 11:29 AM

Nov 2016
Got some more explanation about Souyas state,the segment about him was really gloomy,heavy stuff.

In contrast to that,we got another light hearted visit at the house of the Kawamoto sisters,this time witout Rei. Always funny and amusing.

But Nikaidou stole the episode, so happy for him,he deserves it.

Kinda glad that we didn't get some mean cliffhanger before the break,that would be too much xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 3, 2018 11:30 AM

Sep 2017
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but this is the first time we've seen Rei laugh like that. Again a fantastic episode before the hiatus. I'll be waiting!
Feb 3, 2018 11:45 AM

Mar 2016
For over 30 episodes we've seen Rei suffering, and finally a moment of joy has put a big laugh on his face, he deserves more than that but it's something to begin with. I'm happy to see this before the pause this series will have the next three weeks.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Feb 3, 2018 11:57 AM

Jul 2013
So, Souya's problem is deafness, but is one he acquired with the time, not one whom he born with. For what the president said, it seems he was also an antisocial even before becoming deaf, so he behaved the way he is since the start.
Souya impacted Rei a lot, and it seems he also impacts everyone who he confronts in the shogi matches. He is just that good and mesmerizing.

The ending of the episode was awesome. It's the first time Rei has laughed that much in the whole series. I'm so happy for him (and for Nikaido, for his return to shogi and his amazing recovering).
Both the Kawamoto sisters and Nikaido are now happy after all the hardships they had to went through the first half of the season. Considering their problems are more or less solved, I wonder how this series is going to end.

See you in three weeks!
Feb 3, 2018 12:08 PM

Apr 2016
Rei's laugh was soo satisfying. Priceless.
See you next month, Rei!
Feb 3, 2018 12:18 PM

Jan 2013
i never been so happy to see our favorite little chubby boy return and Rei feels the same :D
Feb 3, 2018 12:35 PM

May 2009
It was such a good episode, especially with the last scene. Seeing Rei laughs like that warmth my heart so much, it was adorable.

I was missing Nikaidou and Shimada so much so it was nice to see them again even if it was just at the end.

I still don't really like the random sound effects and the scene with the perfect soft boiled eggs was pretty much unnecessary.
Feb 3, 2018 1:01 PM

Nov 2007
This episode had almost full Jouishishi lineup! God, this anime is full of veteran seiyuu! They just need to find a role for Koyasu Takehito to complete the set!

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 3, 2018 1:30 PM

Apr 2016
Such a great episode again.

I supposed the silent beginning was Souya's point of view.

I loved the Shogi's president moment too, he can't stop making joke about people ... but has a big heart too though. Another great character, I'm always looking forward to see him again.

And of course the Kawamoto are gold and Yamada and Nikaidou, even 8-dan shogi player something is great.

People speaking here about a 3 weeks hyatus ? That aches !
Feb 3, 2018 1:44 PM

Dec 2012
Wonderful episode.

Sad that Souya has had this hearing problem for a long time.
Lovely to see the Kawamoto Sisters again. The way to cook the perfect egg is amazing. That pork belly with eggs looks delicious.

Great to see Nikaidou back & looking healthy.
Sad that there is a break until March.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Feb 3, 2018 2:06 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The silent recap was a great idea, really enhanced how they could communicate without talking.

I hope they meet again soon.

Seeing Nikaidou on his feet and already kicking ass again was delightful, he is a ball of joy coming at Rei and he finally LAUGHS!
Feb 3, 2018 2:20 PM

Sep 2015
shanimebib said:
This episode had almost full Jouishishi lineup! God, this anime is full of veteran seiyuu! They just need to find a role for Koyasu Takehito to complete the set!

That'd be cool as hell, not gonna lie.
Feb 3, 2018 2:38 PM

Jun 2014
I liked this White Storm part of the story, it did a good job of allowing us to understand Souya a little more. The egg scene felt out of place but I'll admit it was kind of funny. I'm glad to see Nikaidou is back and just as energetic as ever, and Rei laughing was a very pleasant sight. He deserves some happiness after the tough life he's had so far.

I really don't want to wait 3 weeks for the next episode but there's unfortunately nothing we can do about these goddamn Olympic Games.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 3, 2018 3:37 PM
Mar 2015
Glad to see Nikkadou out of the hospital and winning again It was good to see Rei laugh after his experience with the Mejin
The head of the shogi organization really does look after Souya Both he and Souya thanked Rei for his help with the hotel
Souya inspires with his genius
The girls are hilarious glad they are happy after all they went through with the bullying arc Calling the puppies her friend's babies was really funny
Feb 3, 2018 4:09 PM

Apr 2017
The first moment of the episode together with Souya was great. It made me cry. I'm very sad about his situation. The cooking segment of three sisters was funny, I laughed so hard and I kept drooling with their hard-boiled egg. I am glad to see Nikaidou is getting well in terms of being sick all the time. See you again after Olympics. I really love this episode! I had mix emotions today.
JerryKen10Feb 3, 2018 4:15 PM
Feb 3, 2018 4:37 PM

Apr 2016
woohoo!! I'm happy that Nikaidou is back!
I'm also surprised about Souya's hearing, in the last episode when they mentioned it I thought it just meant he tuned people out but apparently he actually can't hear sometimes, which is interesting. I hope Souya and Rei will meet again soon.
also, three weeks off for this series? dammit...
Feb 3, 2018 6:32 PM

Oct 2012
Did they changed Nikaidou's VA? Probably not... but his seiyuu sounded kinda oddly different.

Anyway, the first part was good but I really hope Kiriyama won't linger in his new awe and depression, the worst thing he can do now that he know is start acting different. The rest of the episode was just fluff (would be probably the first time when I say that sister's part was waste of time). And although Nikaidou's return was nice thing to see (even though I still hate his attitude), it was hardly a thing that would made this episode for me.

This really felt like just a transition when they glued three unconnected chapters together.
Feb 3, 2018 8:01 PM
Jan 2017
From staff to viewers
Everybody make delicious boiled eggs.
And wait three weeks
eikan0728Feb 4, 2018 2:43 AM
Feb 3, 2018 8:09 PM

May 2016
whaaaa? 3 week freaking break? NOOOOOO!
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Feb 3, 2018 9:02 PM

Jan 2014
Oh shit I forgot about the Olympics. Ahhhhhhhh I need 3-Gatsu in my life. They better have a season 3 at least. Great ep as always.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 3, 2018 9:57 PM

Sep 2017
That Rei laugh caught me off guard :')
Three weeks will fell like an eternity

Feb 3, 2018 11:00 PM

Jun 2017
Man that beginning minute of silence was just awesome. Actually, this whole episode was awesome. Actually, this anime is just totally awesome.
Feb 4, 2018 12:55 AM

Oct 2015
Good episode again. Pretty weird placement of the Kawamoto cooking session though but it's fine kinda lighthearted. When they showed the scene with Nikaidou falling, I felt like I was gonna cry again. Good thing he's doing well and happy
Feb 4, 2018 3:19 AM

Sep 2017
What a great way to send us off for a month. Another beautiful episode as always and I knew that was the deal with Souya.
Feb 4, 2018 4:07 AM
Mar 2014
That last bit of Rei laughing probably caused one of the biggest bursts of positive emotion I've ever felt in anime. 'Masterpiece' can barely describe this show
Feb 4, 2018 4:11 AM
Jul 2015
I like the episode as usual đź’–
The white storm was very good part,
And making the restart by i coming back of Nikaidou was the best so far I almost cry of joy with kiriama ;;
Feb 4, 2018 5:32 AM

Jul 2014
Great episode as ever, but it just makes the upcoming three week wait for the next episode all the more painful.
Feb 4, 2018 6:15 AM

Nov 2011
That Souya situation seems really complicated. I wonder if he can someday open up a little like Rei did.

Nikaidou is such a nerd lol, loved seeing him back and in great shape.

Rei's laugh was hnnnnnng

And now we wait, at least we were left on a bright note.
Baby, daijobanai...
Feb 4, 2018 6:37 AM

May 2015
Shit, this anime always punks me. Each week I think I'm not going to cry, but out pops Ashton Kutcher with fucking onions. T.T
Feb 4, 2018 8:09 AM

Oct 2014
awesome adaptation as always.. Rei laughing at the end boost my night with so much positivity and make me smile then laughing alongside him.. what an episode

and also damn you olympics, but there's nothing we can do so we have to patiently wait.. so see you next month Rei!.. or i just see you later 'cause i'm going to re-read the manga again!
Feb 4, 2018 8:22 AM

Oct 2014
shanimebib said:

That would be cool as hell!
or just add Kagura's VA, Rie Kugumiya since the show already have Shinpachi's VA,Sakaguchi Daisuke as Yokomizo and we will have yorozuya lmao
Feb 4, 2018 9:01 AM
Nov 2016
Another great episode, as usual.
It was well balanced in terms of serious and light-hearted content.

It was really good to see the sisters, Shimada-san and Nikaidou after qui some time.
And so ends the adaptation of one of my favorite arcs from the manga, the white storm arc.
Feb 4, 2018 10:54 AM
Jan 2017
This episode was So pure, Nikaidou is too precious
Feb 4, 2018 10:55 AM

Jul 2014
somebody need to ask Shaft staffs how they can make every episode always PERFECT like this.......

And here we go 3 weeks without this anime, i am not ready yet tbh...
Feb 4, 2018 10:59 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Well at least the chairmen remembered Souya. So Souya has hearing problems then. The hearing actually makes Souya appear more lonely though. But the chairmen is right in that Rei is very good at taking care of people though. To think that not even Akari's wonderful food can break through though. But their manual though was fun and hillarious. Hmm Nikaido's illness though resulted in him getting black marks on his record though. But it looks like his skills haven't regressed at all seeing his victory here. Its nice seeing Nikaido back to his usual self though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 4, 2018 11:36 AM

Apr 2016
The reflection of the rain from the window was mesmerizing. Another great episode.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 4, 2018 12:23 PM

Jan 2016
I'm in love with this anime! That will just make the 3 weeks all the more painful
Feb 4, 2018 12:28 PM

Dec 2014
another emotion packed episode...than boil egg scene was the most interesting scene this episode
Feb 4, 2018 12:55 PM

Feb 2014
This 3 week break is going to hurt, but I'm sure that the next episode will feel like absolute bliss. =3

As for this episode, it made me worry for Souya even more. His hearing problem must've started at the same time Rei first saw him at the elementary school shogi competition back in his past. The whole White Storm arc felt very powerful and it makes me hope that Souya opens up more in the future.

The Kawamoto segment brought in some happiness and joy with their boiled-egg cooking. Seeing the girls faces sparkling and smiling makes me feel really happy inside. =)

And of course, Nikaidou is back, and he back in winning form as well. The highlight of the whole episode was Rei bursting out laughing, which is probably the first time he's done that. Once again, seeing his laughing face makes me feel happy.

Now the wait for episode 17 begins......
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 3-gatsu no Lion is getting a season 3 ( 1 2 )

ranzer - May 26, 2020

68 by Gaurxv »»
Apr 22, 4:56 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.