Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 16, 2017 2:18 PM

Oct 2013
The first half is serious, the second half starts humorous but becomes serious and then humorous - The Demonic Loop!!

Junkei plunges to the depths of despair, but then recovers. Nice to see the return of Silver.

I think that in 10 years Rei and Hina will be hitched.
Dec 16, 2017 2:49 PM

Aug 2013
The river scene with Hina was so freakings sweet, pretty sure that pudding would lose to it in sugar content.

Saldy the episode had only 25 minutes! I want moooaarrr .-.
Dec 16, 2017 4:29 PM

Apr 2016
I didn't expect to get so much focus on Junkei, but I'm glad we did, that part was wonderful
I also love seeing Rei with Hina on her school trip, its great to see how he's changed from being afraid to bother anyone to going out of his way to help people
Dec 16, 2017 5:33 PM

May 2009
Souya? Damn that's gonna be interesting. Can't wait for the next episode!
Dec 16, 2017 5:56 PM

Mar 2016
Are all shogi players depressed? It seems like it always put such a negative spin to their lives. I can't wait for Souya and Kiriyama to meet. I wonder if they really are as similar as the impressions are giving. Can't wait.
Dec 16, 2017 6:23 PM

Jan 2014
So is there a ship between Rei and the middle sister? Is that a thing? I hope it's a thing.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 16, 2017 6:42 PM

Sep 2015
Zelev said:
So is there a ship between Rei and the middle sister? Is that a thing? I hope it's a thing.

Pretty sure its a thing.
Dec 16, 2017 9:26 PM

Jan 2013
As always, excellent use of metaphors, finding ways to express the struggles of playing shogi on a professional level when one reaches the natural limits of their ability realizing others are just more naturally gifted. Not to take away from the raw amount of time invested, it's just intelligence plays a big role too. In the ability to see more moves ahead with greater clarity.
Second half was good too, especially the river bank scene.
Dec 17, 2017 2:09 AM

Oct 2013
Hina with her hair down and Rei's jacket is the most precious thing on Earth. Loved the episode!
Dec 17, 2017 3:26 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
I guess racing pigeons and shogi are pretty similar in that they require patience. Seeing the younger players find success must have been hard for Yamazaki though considering his struggle. Despite their differences both Yamazaki and Nikaido are fellow players so it's nice seeing him send flowers to him. It was nice to see his prized pigeon come back to him though. Rei coming to find Hina was so sweet though. Rei was pretty generous in his celebration meal though. Though Akari and Hina's orders were hillarious though at how overly excited they were. But they really ate a lot thats for sure. But its nice that as a result that Hina is back to her cheerful self though. Rei coming to see her in Kyoto really helped a lot and it was sweet seeing them together.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 17, 2017 3:59 AM

Apr 2015
  • First half was okay, bald dude is nice. :)
  • But second half was so good, very heartwarming.
  • 5/5
Dec 17, 2017 4:37 AM

Jan 2016
God this was so good!

To make me care for a character in under 10 min, well played.

The second half was just as enjoyable
Dec 17, 2017 5:12 AM
Aug 2017
Ranxomare said:
Yes, flashback to the JUmpei life, but i hate him because he played dirty against "Bodoro"...
...I hope in the future Rei and Hina will be together how a couple, but all the Rei actions seems how he was a "brother"!!! ;)

Dirty? In a game about tactic , no tactic is dirty.
Dec 17, 2017 5:22 AM
Aug 2017
Mich666 said:
Hmm... I don't care about bald man at all... whole first time was waste of time for me, even if Kiriyama and Nikaidou was mentioned. The only good scene there was the one where the pigeon returned but then again why should I even care about him, he's another random anyway.

The second part with restaurant visit was great though, really enojoyed whole thing. Is it about time for him to move in?

If you don't like the first part then be prepared since there are a lot of chapters focusing on other shogi players. About half of the series will be about them. In my opinion, those are the best in this series since we can see the struggle of different person and how their lives will become, the beauty of slice-of-life shows.
Dec 17, 2017 5:23 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Himawari9 said:
Ranxomare said:
Yes, flashback to the JUmpei life, but i hate him because he played dirty against "Bodoro"...
...I hope in the future Rei and Hina will be together how a couple, but all the Rei actions seems how he was a "brother"!!! ;)

Sorry, but it was a dirty tactic...i understand that is a game, and all the professional games you have to take advantage of weakness of the enemy, but this type of victory was without honour, because if not remember bad, Jumpei won this rookie tournament 4 consecutive times, then with more reason for win cleanly, because this only show that this man is stuck in a well observing the light that never he will can touch!!
Dec 17, 2017 6:20 AM

Jul 2014
Another great episode, with a side story on Junkei that was surprisingly effective in both clarifying his mindset and making me actually kinda like him, even if his tactic against Nikaidou wasn't exactly nice: after getting familiar with his mindset and his approach to shogi though, I could entirely understand why he did it, so I don't hate him for it. The second half of the episode was also excellent, once again building solidly on the material this season between Hina and Rei, while also adding in some much-needed levity as well.

This show has really mastered its craft this season, and I can't wait to see what it does with a meeting between Rei and Souya, especially if it sheds more light on what kind of person Souya is (as he is still very much an enigma at this point).
Dec 17, 2017 9:27 AM

May 2015
Silver is back! woooo :D

Also Hina with her hair down looks more mature and cute. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 17, 2017 11:06 AM
Nov 2016
Wow, they did a pretty good job of adapting chapter 64(the Junkei chapter).... This chapter uses a lot of metaphorical imagery and when I read it in the manga, I wasn't sure it's work in the anime form but it did. The only other chapter that uses metaphorical imagery comes later in the manga and it's about the old shogi player(the one who wears the glasses)...

Hina and Momo are as cute as always.
Dec 17, 2017 12:59 PM

Feb 2014
I can't praise the producers enough as it is. It didn't take long for me to really care about Yamazaki in a short amount of time, but I do feel for the guy. Like other shogi players in this series, he has his own hardships and hurdles that he encounters and does his best to get past them. His weakening shogi form, coupled with his missing racing pigeon, didn't help his worries at all.

He really does admire Kiriyama and Nikaidou's strong will and determination to try again when they encounter a hurdle that beats them. Thankfully, things got better for the poor guy though. Not only did he leave a lovely set of flowers, essentially a 'get well' present to Nikaidou, but his long lost pigeon finally made it back home. The feels were pretty strong for his chapter. =)

The second half was filled with the joy of the Kawamoto sisters, as expected. Hina was simply PERFECTION when she let her hair down and briefly wore Kiriyama's glasses and jacket. =3

But more importantly, thanks to that meeting, Hina's smile has genuinely returned for the first time and that has had a very positive reflection on the rest of the family, including gramps himself.

Next week sounds pretty hype though, with Souya making a return. I do hope we get to see some decent backstory to him. =)
Dec 17, 2017 2:17 PM

Sep 2014
This anime .. absolutely breathtaking. It gets better and better and better.
I havent touched my favourite shows in quite some time, but here is my new number 1.
Hina looked so adorable with Reis jacket and glasses.

Once again, thank you studio shaft for beeing so amazing.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 17, 2017 3:29 PM

Feb 2007
Never would have thought a side character's story would become one of the best parts of this season...

Ah, the girls eating... :D Really, no one told you to take the guys' food as well.
Dec 17, 2017 5:20 PM

Oct 2012
Himawari9 said:
If you don't like the first part then be prepared since there are a lot of chapters focusing on other shogi players. About half of the series will be about them. In my opinion, those are the best in this series since we can see the struggle of different person and how their lives will become, the beauty of slice-of-life shows.

I have to disagree as I actually don't think those 'randoms' adds any depth to the series other than being randoms. And for me those shogi parts are the most boring ones compared to what's happenning in the rest of the anime. I don't want it completely gone but it would be certainly better if it wasn't the main focus (outside of really important matches ofc). I don't think we even need to add any randoms that are not important to the story by now as we already pretty much know how the shogi world works and showing it feels more like chore now.

Slice-of-life doesn't have to be boring, you know, quite contrary actually, the best moments are those that touch your heart. And it's pretty hard to get emotional over someone you see for the first time. I would rather if his sister returned to the show with her own story arc.
Dec 17, 2017 6:26 PM

Nov 2016
Awesome episode again.

Was really captivated by Yamazakis backroundstory, especially the symbolism with the diving stood out.

Eating out with Kawamotos segment was pretty nice too, Hina and Akari were in heaven, it was so amusing watching these two pick their toppings.

And at last Hina and Rei together, I mean even before it was more than obvious,but after this I ship them more than ever.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 17, 2017 10:12 PM

Nov 2014
It's genuinely impressive that they bothered adding a little background story with a side character, it really does add a little depth with the series. At the same time also making him slightly relatable with the "stock questions", which genuinely does seem to happen in real life and makes me somewhat upset at times.

It's great that they show the chemistry between Rei and Hina. And as a whole with the entire Kawamoto family.

Mich666 said:
I have to disagree as I actually don't think those 'randoms' adds any depth to the series other than being randoms. And for me those shogi parts are the most boring ones compared to what's happenning in the rest of the anime. I don't want it completely gone but it would be certainly better if it wasn't the main focus (outside of really important matches ofc). I don't think we even need to add any randoms that are not important to the story by now as we already pretty much know how the shogi world works and showing it feels more like chore now.

Slice-of-life doesn't have to be boring, you know, quite contrary actually, the best moments are those that touch your heart. And it's pretty hard to get emotional over someone you see for the first time. I would rather if his sister returned to the show with her own story arc.
Actually given the length of time 3-gatsu no lion is on air, it'd be somewhat a pity if they never once expanded on such characters.

For much of the first season it was a lot about Kiriyama's problems and the other shogi professionals' problems as well, with the Kawamoto family making the occasional appearance during times where Kiriyama is the most down to cheer him up (and at the same time allow the audience to take a breather from the more serious inner monologues and problems from the various shogi players).

This 2nd season has seen a shift further out of shogi, but we all understand that Kiriyama still has his matches. So while a lot of the time is now dedicated to Rei and Hina's chemistry, they can't simply pull out completely from expanding on the other shogi players. After all you don't want the main focus to shift so far away from shogi that Kiriyama's shogi matches seem like an unneccessary thing that the show has to drag him to on occasion and it becomes merely something for him to duke it out with with Nikaidou (with a passionate rant every so often).
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 17, 2017 11:33 PM
Aug 2017
Mich666 said:
Himawari9 said:

Those shogi parts are not boring but the most interesting ones, more than the 3 sisters. As I said, in the future, there will be more focus on other shogi players, so much that make you wonder who is the main character. I feel that you are the same as the manga readers that said the shogi parts are boring and then drop the manga so maybe this show is not for you. Kyoko won't appear again soon.
Dec 17, 2017 11:44 PM
Aug 2017
Ranxomare said:
Himawari9 said:

Sorry, but it was a dirty tactic...i understand that is a game, and all the professional games you have to take advantage of weakness of the enemy, but this type of victory was without honour, because if not remember bad, Jumpei won this rookie tournament 4 consecutive times, then with more reason for win cleanly, because this only show that this man is stuck in a well observing the light that never he will can touch!!

From another sport manga I read, result is the most important thing. The end justifies the mean. If I was him, I would have done the same thing. Do everything I can to achieve victory since reality is a harsh thing.
Himawari9Dec 17, 2017 11:48 PM
Dec 18, 2017 7:40 AM

Sep 2015
Solid followup to last weeks great episode. We learn a bit more about Junkei. As we follow him in the aftermath of losing to Kiriyama. I have to admit. His pearl diver comparison. And especially the fantasy of Kiriyama and Nikaidou doing the pearl diving. Didn't do much of anything for me. But I appreciated the larger point. And this aside was worth it just for Junkei's yuppie impression.

I really liked the slice of life in the second half. Akari's food driven monologues are low key one of my favorite things in this series. And this felt like a twisted corrupted one in the best possible way. It also seems like the series is making serious headway in Rei and Hina's relationship. Really feels like they've almost crossed the finish line with that story. We'll see though.
Dec 18, 2017 8:09 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The restaurant order was funniest!!! lol
Dec 18, 2017 8:37 AM

Nov 2013
HINATA BEST GIRL (both Hyuuga and Kawamoto lols)
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Dec 18, 2017 12:37 PM

Jan 2017
Impressive first half and heartwarming second one. Amazing, the focus on Junkei felt very poetic-like, loved both the direction and the animation on this episode in general.

Second half was the cutest thing ever, things are starting to grow in such an innocent way that my heart is filled with an incredible warmth.

Thank you series, you're my most anticipated time of the week <3
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Dec 18, 2017 1:43 PM

Feb 2008
While Yamazaki's story had a more serious tone, it truly ended in a heart-warming manner. It was almost bewitching.

The Kawamoto family's raid to the sweet store was utterly charming as well. I am at a loss whether to envy or dread the ability of female Kawamotos to devour sweets... Regardless, it made the heart-warming episode even sweeter.
Dec 18, 2017 4:03 PM

Mar 2015
Hina and Ray I was mad about how slow they are being at the beginning of the first season but now I got sucked into their pace.
I am so loving this show. I respect Raychan so much for what he did. Soooo cute all of them
Dec 19, 2017 6:21 AM

Oct 2008
based on the previous episode, why does it feel like Junkei Yamazaki is seem like a villain against Nikaidou & Kiriyama...whereas this episode, you feel like you want to root Junkei because we saw a bit of his perspective in terms of his everyday life...
But we've seen Nikaidou's willpower is far greater than Junkei!
Also, good thing his Silver (name of the pigeon) came back to him!
2nd part was great and fun as well because Kiriyama treated Gramps, Momo, Akari, & Hina! All of the food it was on him of course! congratz Rookie King!
5/5.

Dec 19, 2017 11:53 AM

Dec 2017
Great Episode - Loved it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2017 4:05 AM

Sep 2009
nicoyaasawa said:
any chances Rei and Hina might end up together or is it just me who has been feeling a connection between them lately?

Taking into account current state of things in manga,
Dec 21, 2017 12:30 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode! I love how this show can really make me love the side characters. Pigeon racing, really?! That's so unique XD Plus the first half really showed Junkei's struggle with the game and how seeing Nikaidou and Rei sort of inspired him. Second half was great too, oh my gosh that dessert looks delicious!!! I have fallen victim to the cycle of delicious food and dessert and getting too full to move ... I understand T_T However seeing Rei help Hina recover for her trip was great as well. Oh man, is Rei going to play Souya?! That's gonna be great to see :O
Dec 22, 2017 2:12 AM

Oct 2015
the care put into writing the each character's emotions made me love the show even more! I find this show to be really relatable and inspirational at the same time 5/5!
Dec 23, 2017 3:40 AM

Feb 2014
Salvation comes in a way, nobody expects it to. Even though Junkei worked his way on and got swept by the times, he still moved on after he found his salvation. And damn that Nikaidou's smile in the face of despair was chilling!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 23, 2017 5:39 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The Jumpei questions, in off, was hilarious too!!
Dec 24, 2017 7:29 PM

Apr 2015
First half was good, got to know him well
Second half was sweet
Dec 29, 2017 4:47 AM

Jul 2008
Idon't feel anything for Junkei...he stretched out the match to put him in the hospital.
Dec 31, 2017 3:59 PM

Apr 2015
Amai!
Shoppai!
Amai!
Shoppai!

...Been there.
Jan 8, 2018 4:35 AM

Dec 2014
well back story of minor characters is awesome...but the bit about Rei and hina is so awesome...enjoying it to the fullest
Jan 17, 2018 2:33 PM

Oct 2015
That was a weird back story of Junkei, about his fears, love for pigeons ,shogi, his desire to win and admiration for Nikaidou and Rei. I like his scary looking face and hidden sensitive awkward side( especially when Gin came back).

Great ep with a deeper meaning and acknowledging your opponents determination
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 28, 2018 8:08 PM

Dec 2015
Damn you Shaft, my opinion of Tsujii just did a 180 with this episode. Do you make sympathetic characters grow on trees or what??!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 9, 2018 9:36 PM

May 2012
While the first part was a story about someone we totally don't know and also got no relations with it was still nice for a chance. But the real good part about this episode came afterwards with Rei and Hina!

Really lovely scene and I am so glad with such an ending for this episode. Looking forwards to see what the next episode has to offer.
Aug 15, 2018 3:53 AM

Mar 2015
Yet another great episode!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 6, 2018 6:05 PM

Apr 2015
It's obvious at this point that Rei and Hina are perfect for each other, and I'm glad Rei is able to make her smile outside of school, but something needs to be done about the horde of bitches at the school they were making her trip miserable as she sat all alone before Rei came along.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 5, 2018 3:40 AM

Mar 2018
This show. I wish I could hug it. Wonderful episode. The story about Junkei was so sweet and he is a genuinely nice person. How he left some hydrangeas at the hospital and his anguish after losing his favourite dove and then there were Rei and Hina. So precious.
Mar 29, 2019 3:13 PM
Apr 2018
Awww, man, this is the best episode in my opinion. Despite how short Junkei's appearance in the show is, his backstory was really solid; it sucks that he dragged the match vs Nikaido though; he really seemed like a cool guy.

And the sisters!! It made me so happy seeing them happily eating to their hearts content. The scene with Rei and Hina was the best one: at the end, those two with Momo looked like a couple. 10/10
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 3-gatsu no Lion is getting a season 3 ( 1 2 )

ranzer - May 26, 2020

68 by Gaurxv »»
Apr 22, 4:56 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.