Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 11, 2017 7:59 AM

Oct 2014
Great source material + Great studio = MASTERPIECE

Oh man.. how i love this series so much..
When i say "this is gonna be great if it's animated later on S2" when reading the manga,but damn, it IS GREAT, even exceeds my expectation.. holy.. thank you so much Shaft!
The budget for this season is probably double, heck, even triple than previous season!

cant wait for shaft to animate THAT scene
Dec 11, 2017 1:02 PM

Nov 2015
This is the best episode since the utterly transcendent Obon episode in season 1. Note the unbelievably gorgeous background art in several evening scenes, which have a quality similar to Van Gogh. This just goes way above and beyond what one might ever expect in terms of quality.

I love that every deeply intense emotional moment is earned. It all flows naturally, and if you aren't in love with this story and these incredibly rich characters, then I'm at a loss. Right now I am just overwhelmed. This is a masterpiece in the making.
Dec 11, 2017 4:38 PM

Sep 2013
Lelouch0202 said:

Could someone remind me which episode was the one where Nikaidou tells Kiriyama to take more care of his Shogi?

Not sure if you found out yet but I'm re-watching the 1st Season. It's Episode 7!

Dec 11, 2017 8:22 PM

Oct 2008
another good episode
Kiriyama's Shogi winning streak was so satisfying and Nikaidou is so proud of his Rival!
Kiriyama is now the Rookie King! (below-5-dan)
Kiriyama pin-pointed and found Hina on her school field trip! That hug was so sweet!
4/5.
matias067Dec 11, 2017 8:28 PM

Dec 11, 2017 8:57 PM

Jan 2013
Just an amazing episode both for the Shogi match and the Hina arc.
Dec 12, 2017 9:28 AM

Dec 2014
TehSnawn said:
Lelouch0202 said:

Could someone remind me which episode was the one where Nikaidou tells Kiriyama to take more care of his Shogi?

Not sure if you found out yet but I'm re-watching the 1st Season. It's Episode 7!

Yeah, I got it. Thanks anyway.
Dec 12, 2017 9:30 AM

Feb 2016
I cried so many times in the Anime and I also cried in this episode. :( I love this Anime so much.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Dec 12, 2017 7:30 PM

Aug 2011
Masterpiece, sasuga Kyoani
Dec 12, 2017 8:37 PM

Apr 2007
CrazyFrogz said:
Masterpiece, sasuga Kyoani

This is the work of Shaft
Dec 12, 2017 9:12 PM

Jul 2009
Lol so as soon as Hina said her stomach hurt, I was like ... her period?! :P Just kidding those don't exist in the anime world. Yeah but, I figured it was from nerves or something. The part where Rei hears Nikaidou's voice was really powerful just as he was about to play that piece, and I definitely thought he lost for a moment there. Dang and Hina's reaction to seeing him and her lines in the preview were really well done. Also, when they mentioned Shimada and his stomach medicine I was instantly like, D'OH! Of course he'd have something for that. Man, need more Shimada :P
Dec 13, 2017 8:01 AM

Sep 2015
Damn fine episode. I think the show's finding a good balance, between the shogi and the slice of life now. I liked the shogi match in this episode a lot. And how it brought back Nikaidou's rousing words of playing more carefully and deliberately. In a way that made perfect sense in the match. I really feel like Nikaidou isn't long for this world. Hope I'm wrong though.

And the way the ending brought it full circle, felt really earned too. To a certain extent it smacks of melodrama. Rei's reflections on being all alone. And knowing exactly where she'd be. But it followed through on things that had been established earlier in the episode. And going back to Season 1. And Rei and Hina's scene at the end was pretty touching. So overall it worked.
Dec 13, 2017 11:18 AM

Apr 2015
When does this arc end my god

Shaft went all out this episode, it was good, but maybe I would have enjoyed it better if I liked some more internal elements
Dec 13, 2017 1:00 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Hina and Rei next to the river, the best of this episode!!!
Dec 14, 2017 5:32 PM

May 2015
I hope nothing happens to Nikaidou, it would not only break my heart but my soul too.

#keepnikaidousafe
Dec 14, 2017 7:27 PM

Oct 2017
Damn, this anime never fails to pull my heartstring. Such a masterpiece.
Dec 15, 2017 3:14 PM

Dec 2017
It was great! I expect that, this anime is a legend like 2016 the best anime which touch my feelings is Rakugo shinjuu; Sangatsu will be the best one on this year according to *MY VIEW PONT
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2017 9:26 PM
Feb 2017
To be honest, I'm a little disappointed that the series has decided to send Hinata down the bullying route. The story is well-done, but it seems like everyone has just forgotten the fact that Kawamoto sisters' mother recently died. Since Akari was nearly old enough not to need her mother and Momo was young enough not to remember much, the mother's death would naturally be hardest on Hinata who is old enough to remember her mother, but still young enough to need a mother's guidance. This, to me, would be a much stronger route for the series to go on.
Dec 15, 2017 9:52 PM

Apr 2014
FiREIng_maNiac said:
To be honest, I'm a little disappointed that the series has decided to send Hinata down the bullying route. The story is well-done, but it seems like everyone has just forgotten the fact that Kawamoto sisters' mother recently died. Since Akari was nearly old enough not to need her mother and Momo was young enough not to remember much, the mother's death would naturally be hardest on Hinata who is old enough to remember her mother, but still young enough to need a mother's guidance. This, to me, would be a much stronger route for the series to go on.
lol forgot? this is intentional its called life, its painful.

also that route u suggested is dumb and boring.
Dec 16, 2017 11:53 PM

Jul 2008
Gah, the bullies strike again....at least Rei got there.
Dec 19, 2017 6:31 AM
Jan 2016
It hurts so much when a person who has a really bright smile like Hina, is crying so much like this...and Rei, you are really great, as a person and as a shogi player.
Dec 27, 2017 8:02 AM
Apr 2014
Yeah, Hina has always called Rei both Rei-chan and Kiriyama-kun. She tends to use "Rei-chan" in the more natural and spontaneous moments, and "Kiriyama-kun" when she's more collected. It's a nice touch of character.
Jan 7, 2018 7:18 AM

Dec 2014
well those Rei and her moments are so much....
Jan 17, 2018 2:19 PM

Oct 2015
That was an emotional match with that Junkei scary dude, I thought they would jinx it with humor as always since he was scary looking. I'm really loving this season, truly. Nikaidou watching in the hospital cheering his rival on was inspiring too.

I'm really loving the moments of Rei and Hina, but they end up her crying like the child she is.

How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 1, 2018 5:08 AM

Apr 2016
A solid episode, really like how the 2nd half started with the pretty dark tone, especially the piano.
Mar 7, 2018 3:38 PM

May 2017
one good episode after the other.. im so in love with rei's friendships, its so freaking beautiful to see them help and care for each other, really awesome.
Aug 9, 2018 9:36 PM

May 2012
Damn that ending was beautiful yet sad. Glad he actually won that match and in general really loved this episode so let's see what's next.
Aug 15, 2018 2:47 AM

Mar 2015
I really like how Rei has something/someone to fight for.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 20, 2018 1:36 PM

Dec 2013
this actually keeps getting better and better and I hate the fact I only have 13 episodes left of the series
Sep 6, 2018 5:27 PM

Apr 2015
I was so worried about Hina. She shouldn't have gone on that trip with things being as bad as they were at school.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 18, 2019 10:29 PM

Jan 2016
I revisit this episode a lot. It's so fucking beautiful.
Mar 29, 2019 11:23 AM
Apr 2018
This episode had everything perfectly mixed together! Shogi, SoL, cuteness, sadness, even a "romantic" moment of sorts.

Anyone, please make a gif out of Hina's eyes opening as she saw Rei! That was so touching, the guy really went out of his way to bring her that medicine.
Apr 1, 2019 12:46 PM

Feb 2013
Rei won, yay!
Omg, I loved the moment with Hina.
Jun 15, 2019 7:41 PM

Feb 2016
"Among this laughter, someone who's all alone won't be found."

I''l never forget this line
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 17, 2019 10:31 PM

Sep 2017
Rei Kiriyama said:
But if you can't overcome your inability to predict your opponent's moves, and instead you put the blame on people who say that's "the way you're supposed to fight," then I have only one thing to say to you. Go fuck yourself.
That's my boy, Rei. I feel like I just watched my kid grow up. I'm so proud of an animated character. Go figure, huh?

First thing this episode made me feel was hunger. I really feel like going to my kitchen and making some pork cutlet now. Guess that isn't really feasible at 1:20 AM though. Did Rei learn that stomachache advice from Shimada? I don't remember him learning that. What a brilliant shogi match. We saw little to none of the movies either player made. It was purely focused on the emotional turmoil Rei was undergoing. Someone (who hadn't seen the show but still made a fair point) told me earlier that shogi isn't the lesson of the show, just a catalyst for the show's events. And while I would argue that shogi has its hand in even a small part of this show's message, I think it certainly proved to be a great catalyst this episode. I see most people got it translated as "Go to hell." The subtitles I used translated it as "Go fuck yourself," which I think I prefer, as it just so perfectly conveys the raw fury Rei was feeling during that shogi match. It was the first f-bomb in the entire show and just conveys his feelings so fucking well.

I'm so glad he was able to pull off a victory too. The show had me worried for a second there, with Rei wiping his face with a towel. Thankfully Nikaidou was able to break the tension. One of Rei's first concerns after winning such a huge match was worrying for Hina, which made me grin. He even remembers her stomachache and grabs medicine for her. He remembered where she would be at that moment and dashed over there. I think as much as Rei believes Hina to be his lifesaver, he is just as much hers. Hina hugging Rei like that and unloading all of her stress was beautiful.
Oct 4, 2019 2:58 PM

Jul 2015
Nikaidou's words reached Rei, glad that he won the Newcomer tournament and even managed to reach Hina in her lonely time while on a schooltrip

Hopefully Nikaidou gets better soon

Oct 17, 2019 6:34 PM

Sep 2018
Congratulations Rei!!!

The hug episode ❤
How I wish I have a "Rei" in my darkest day ....
Jun 16, 2020 9:55 PM

May 2019
Im starting to understand why this anime is rated over 9.

It is one of the few that provides the BEST kind of tears, the tears of joy, not sadness.

The situations are simple, and they are not facing nothing really exceptional, BUT the author made we get so intimate of the greatly build characters that is impossible do not share their feelings.
Sep 16, 2020 1:30 PM

May 2018
Wow. Rei focused on Hina so much that he forgot to tell her that he won the rookie tourney ;)
Dec 23, 2020 3:18 AM

Jun 2017
there's something indescribably perfect about rei going all the way to kyoto to give hinata a tiny piece of stomach medicine
Mar 30, 2021 12:39 PM

Aug 2018
I don't personally like trips.. Or don't think you necessary have to visit any place during school years.. I missed some school trips, was on some.. And can't say I liked any of them too much, or that I regret about missing any of them..
But really, where is the school social staff system?.. Japanese schools don't have social workers, psychologists or anything?.. That's all I'll say.. I have nothing to add here..
Jan 7, 2022 3:54 PM
Nov 2020
Ah, that hug felt like a nice cold glass of water in the middle fo the desert. Rei has grown so much, both as a person and as a player, up to the point where he can finally realize how much more he can grow. I loved this episode with all my heart.
Jun 16, 2022 12:49 PM

Oct 2015
Rei playing against Agent 47 lol
Oct 8, 2022 10:20 AM

May 2022
They really brought out the hard hitting content each episode this season.
Dec 11, 2022 1:16 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
This show makes you want to learn and become an absolute master at shogi and win f*cking tournaments for all the ones you love

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 16, 2023 3:10 PM

Dec 2020
This anime knows really how to dig deep into my emotions because I have been a victim of bullying for like 3 - 5 years in elementary school by the same person the bullying the anime is portraying has some things that are quite realistic. For example, teacher negligence, which is something I have experienced myself, for example, a teacher knows I'm getting bullied at first some light attempts at stopping it in the start but proven ineffective the teacher just gave up. The number of times I went had to go to the principal is insane every time it took me a lot of courage to even do it each time that I did the principal became more negligent over time. And for me sometimes it just made it worse but there were occasions where he stopped for a long time because his parents had to psychically force him to stop but eventually continues doing it.

The fact I wrote all of the text here above shows that this anime really knows how to draw out emotions.
niookookjoFeb 16, 2023 3:20 PM
Nov 11, 2023 7:23 PM

Dec 2022
I'm glad he has friends and it go smooth...but someone need to tell him he has to man up, or the world will eat him alive, like his sister does...he need to face his weaknesses if he is gonna face the world. They all go easy on him.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 3-gatsu no Lion is getting a season 3 ( 1 2 )

ranzer - May 26, 2020

68 by Gaurxv »»
Apr 22, 4:56 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.