Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 5, 2017 11:49 PM

Jan 2017
For a lot of people, their favorite anime is the first anime they have watched. Or an anime that brings a nostalgic feel from the past.

Some people in this position seem to never let go of that one favorite anime from the past to offer new space for another. They seem biased toward other anime because it doesn't give the 'nostalgic' or 'classic' feel of their old favorite anime.

My Question to you all is, are you in this position, or does your favorite anime change from time to time?

Thanks
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2017 12:01 AM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Considering I started watching anime pretty recently, it definitely changes. Plus, I can really like something the first watch, then watch it again and find it worse or even dislike it. So it's an ever-changing thing.
Oct 6, 2017 12:05 AM

Sep 2017
change time to time sometimes i feel like to wathing action anime sometimes change to romance or drama so it depends on what i want to watch actually and it change every season so idk if there are someone same as me
Oct 6, 2017 12:06 AM

Jan 2010
It changes. A lot of anime had to leave the favorite anime spot to make space for the newer one.

However, I doubt anything will top the first two of my fav anime (One Piece and Gintama), one of the reason is because they are still far from finished.
Oct 6, 2017 12:09 AM

Jul 2016
I've only been watching anime for two years, so nostalgia doesn't play a role in my favorites.

Since I still have a lot more stuff to watch, it's entirely possible that I'll find a new favorite. Considering the fact that Rakugo was a recent anime and it's one of my few 10s, it could also be a show that hasn't aired yet that will become my favorite when it does.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2017 12:09 AM

Apr 2016
Quaisar said:
For a lot of people, their favorite anime is the first anime they have watched.

Nope.

Shicchi said:
one of the reason is because they are still far from finished.

And second is because there are hot boys, smashing each other...

OT: My favorite anime list is like solid rock, strong and unchanging, but just recently i add new (how unusual for me) anime into it.
Oct 6, 2017 12:14 AM
Mar 2015
I don't think so. My current favorite is mushishi and I like it because it sets up this unique atmosphere that I don't think any other anime can match.

But you never know and I hope I find something I like better eventually.
Oct 6, 2017 12:15 AM

Sep 2016
Hello,

Mine wasn't the first I watched (GTO), it is quite old, I did watch a lot of anime before and after I watched it.

Sometimes I struggle to change it as I watch newer anime but then I just wait for the "new and fresh" feel to cool down and for now GTO remained undefeated!
Oct 6, 2017 12:21 AM

Apr 2017
Quaisar said:
For a lot of people, their favorite anime is the first anime they have watched.

That actually applies to me in anime, but it isn't always the case. My first western tv show was Fringe, and it is not one of my favourites or even in my top 10, it has a special place in my heart sure, but definitely not one of my favorites. My favorite is Breaking Bad, which was my second show, but of course the quality jump is gigantic.

As for anime I haven't watched anime for long (bit less than a year). So I'm not sure if it is ''nostalgia'', but my first anime (AoT) did open my eyes (I hated anime before watching it), and I really appreciate it because of that, so there is that ''special condition''.

That aside, I don't think I'll find something that I will like more, however if say Code Geass had been my first anime maybe that would be my favorite anime today, who knows.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2017 12:24 AM

Mar 2015
My favorite anime has changed a couple of times, but now it's been the same for quite some time. Someday I might find a new favorite, but I doubt that it'll be in the near future.
Oct 6, 2017 12:36 AM

Jan 2010
Swagernator said:

Shicchi said:
one of the reason is because they are still far from finished.

And second is because there are hot boys, smashing each other...

Lol no
I have Haikyuu and Prince of Tennis on my top 10 fav list for that XP

Surprisingly enough, I have no yaoi ship in Gintama (not even the legendary Gintoki x Hijikata! Oh gosh what's wrong with me?!), and in One Piece my OTP is a minor and unpopular one it's sad.
Both anime is the rarer one in which my shipping tendencies got sidelined and I still greatly enjoyed the show.

What is masterpiece to me? A guide for self reference
Oct 6, 2017 12:41 AM

Jul 2015
I come across a new fun series every now and then, so it's not like my list of favorites is written in stone. As long as it's just my type of show and good for rewatching then I'll love it as much as my older favorites. May glorious Nippon continue churning out good stuff, like they have until now! (ง •̀ω•́)ง✧
Oct 6, 2017 12:46 AM
Jul 2018
I always find new favourites, but most of them are pretty niche
Oct 6, 2017 12:55 AM

Jul 2013
As I watch new series naturally my favorites change, of course it's not very common, but I change favorites a few times a year at most.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Oct 6, 2017 12:57 AM

Oct 2013
Well my top 5 which is Shana, Tsukaima, Index, Hayate and After Story is probably never going to change since they have been my favs for years
but those shows under them can probably change
Oct 6, 2017 12:59 AM

Apr 2012
I certainly hope I'll find a new favourite anime some day, because that will mean I've discovered something mind-blowingly amazing. But while Lain has been my favourite anime almost since the beginning, it was definitely amongst the first ten things I watched, I think that's genuinely because of its nature rather than because of nostalgia or the like. It's certainly a top-quality show objectively, and it's almost precisely what I want out of television more than anything else. Bearing in mind it's not amongst the first ten anime I watched through chance, but because I went through review sites reading about all the interesting anime made in the history of the medium, and that one was the one which intrigued me and whose ideea appealed to me more than anything else, so I went and bought it. And discovered I know my own tastes quite well.
Oct 6, 2017 1:00 AM
Oct 2017
It does change my favorite anime used to be naruto now its attck on titan
Oct 6, 2017 1:07 AM

Jun 2012
I'm from the nostalgia faction to latest ones and no it doesn't change but I want to add around 70+ more if possible.
Oct 6, 2017 1:12 AM

Sep 2017
Of course it changes from time to time.
Naruto was my first Anime and it felt incredible watching it at that time.But now I consider it only an average anime due to the incredible amount of shitty fillers in both Naruto and Naruto shippuden.
Oct 6, 2017 1:15 AM

Feb 2016
It could definitely change up.

My favorite anime isn't biased on nostalgia or being my 'first taste of anime' or whatever else though.

My first taste would've been Dragon Ball (Or Pokemon if you count TV) but neither are on my list. I don't like Pokemon that highly and I don't remember the original Dragon Ball that well, DBZ is in my Top 10 though. Plan to watch it soon (DB) though so I guess I'll see where I end up placing it :P

So far my favorite has only changed once so far. (At least, ever since I've had like a Top 3-5 to speak of in mind)

Originally it was Rurouni Kenshin but then I saw The Irregular at Magic High School and it just knocked Rurouni Kenshin clean out of it's shoes and took it's place :p

Haven't ran across anything I'd place above it yet. Not sure I ever will, it's possible though...

#1 anime aside though, my top 10 definitely can change. I don't see the rest being so hardset overtime. More so 6-10 though. I feel quite firm on 1-5.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Oct 6, 2017 1:19 AM
Jul 2018
mine used to change than i watched Code Geass and its been my favorite since unless i can find someting that can top that its unlikely it will change
Oct 6, 2017 1:19 AM

Apr 2016
I have zero anime from the past in my list. But I haven't really changed my favourites for the last 2 or 3 years. If only I had more slots to add my favs.
Oct 6, 2017 1:20 AM

Jan 2013
I never enjoyed any other anime as much as I enjoyed Death Note so I don't think the number 1 spot will ever change, it's been the same since I first started watching anime (yes, DN was my first anime ever - and I've rewatched it 3 times since then). I almost gave up on watching anime at all because I couldn't find anything as enjoyable and everything else was so mediocre and bland for me. It's still kinda similar, there's a big gap between DN and other anime, but I eventually learned to appreciate other anime too, and I even found two more 10/10s (not as enjoyable as DN but equally good in terms of quality imo). Except the top 3, my other favorite anime on my profile change a lot. I had to make a separate list to remember all of them, and I just choose from there whatever I feel like putting on my profile atm.
fuyukiOct 6, 2017 1:28 AM
Oct 6, 2017 1:23 AM
Jul 2018
My #1 favorite is Monster, but the others on my favorites list, I'm still not entirely sure.
Maybe if I rewatch all of them, I'll be able to be 100% confident which ones are my favorites and not.
Oct 6, 2017 2:12 AM

Dec 2016
I am in that position and even though over the years my taste has developed due to exposure to more shows , that old favourite is still fun to watch as much as it was as a kid.
Women of my dreams I don't sleep so I can't find her

Oct 6, 2017 2:35 AM

Sep 2017
So far only code geass dropped from my top 10 to add jojo. My rating for code geass would probably drop once the cash grab movie is shown.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 6, 2017 3:38 AM
Aug 2016
I might add some favourites in a distant future, but I don't ever change them. If I add something to my list, then it will stay there.
Oct 6, 2017 3:44 AM

Apr 2015
I will definitely add new anime to my favourites. However, I will probably never change my favourite anime.
Oct 6, 2017 3:50 AM

Aug 2016
For current favorite anime only one anime even came close to beating it for my favorite. And since I only found it around a year ago now there's not really any nostalgia feel for me.
Although the rest of my favorites change a lot with shows like Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and stuff coming out every now and then........ Yep...
Oct 6, 2017 3:58 AM
Apr 2016
I have never been affected by nostalgia. But considering what my favourite is, and that it has been my indisputable favourite since its release 4 years ago... maybe i wont find a new one. I would love too obviously but its hard to imagine. I was probably very lucky to find that movie so early in my life.
Oct 6, 2017 4:01 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I mean we have the indefinite future to look forward to so maybe one day

I don't feel particularly affected by nostalgia but my top favourites really haven't changed much in the last 4 years or so (I.E: since shortly after I started watching anime in 2013). Same with visual novels for that matter, but my manga/LN favs have changed a bit more
Oct 6, 2017 4:02 AM

Apr 2013
i highly doubt it. i mean Monster is a masterpiece and i'm not so sure something like that will show up in the near future idk. maybe i'll just add some but whats on the list stays on the list :D
Oct 6, 2017 4:13 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Oh it's definitely changed. My past favorites included stellar selections like Naruto, Peach Girl, XXXHolic. I've kept a couple up in my favorites like Utena and Digimon but it shifts immensely. Honestly I'll be shocked and happy if something comes along and knocks any of my current favorites out of top spots.

Shicchi said:

Lol no
I have Haikyuu and Prince of Tennis on my top 10 fav list for that XP

Surprisingly enough, I have no yaoi ship in Gintama (not even the legendary Gintoki x Hijikata! Oh gosh what's wrong with me?!), and in One Piece my OTP is a minor and unpopular one it's sad.
Both anime is the rarer one in which my shipping tendencies got sidelined and I still greatly enjoyed the show.

What is masterpiece to me? A guide for self reference

Apparently shippers can't understand and enjoy a show for everything it's worth. We honestly are just the worst. (ง ˙o˙)ว
Oct 6, 2017 4:13 AM

Apr 2017
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkk noooooooooo, punishable by energy arrow to the face
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Oct 6, 2017 4:15 AM

Oct 2017
My taste changed a lot through time. I used to watch only ecchi and shounen action shows. Now I like slice of life and seinen the most.
The latest 10/10 anime in my list is "In this corner of the world", an anime that I just watched a month ago.
Oct 6, 2017 4:18 AM

Mar 2016
It is always possible. I don't really think my top 3 will change, except if they do some absurdly great adaptations of Yakusoku no Neverland or Grand Blue in the future.
Oct 6, 2017 4:26 AM

Sep 2015
Have faith and be relentless in your pursuit. Then I am sure, one day, you will find it. We all will.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Oct 6, 2017 4:32 AM

Feb 2015
I'll probably find "Ecchi is increasing, and anime is being shit" threads than how can I find a new fav series.

Oct 6, 2017 4:35 AM

Sep 2012
My favorites used to change quite a lot when I first started watching anime. However, for the past 1-2, it's steady with absolutely no changes. I doubt it will anytime soon, but you never know.
Oct 6, 2017 5:41 AM

Apr 2015
Quaisar said:
For a lot of people, their favorite anime is the first anime they have watched. Or an anime that brings a nostalgic feel from the past.

Some people in this position seem to never let go of that one favorite anime from the past to offer new space for another. They seem biased toward other anime because it doesn't give the 'nostalgic' or 'classic' feel of their old favorite anime.

My Question to you all is, are you in this position, or does your favorite anime change from time to time?

Thanks

My first 'favorite' anime was Code Geass, but I had barely seen more then 10 titles. It was obvious that would change at some point.

My current favorite, Madoka Magica, seems to be pretty solid in its' placement. It's got everything I like except, from colorful artstyle, amazing soundtrack, suffering, Mahou Shoujo, and hints of yuri. Flip Flappers came close to overtaking it, but the last 5 episodes sort of spun its' tires. Fate/Extra is the only upcoming series I imagine might supersede it.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 6, 2017 5:50 AM

Apr 2015
Nope. I'm loyal to Bananya for life.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 6, 2017 6:03 AM

Feb 2016
I'm surprised people change their favorites that much
Oct 6, 2017 6:04 AM

Dec 2015
Eventually mine will be changed, but not now.
Oct 6, 2017 6:11 AM

Mar 2017
It's possible I'll find newer favorites cause I'm still new in this media

but until then, I'll keep my favorites with the feelings I got from it intact
Oct 6, 2017 6:13 AM

Mar 2015
why wouldn't you? isn't that kind of closed minded mindset?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 6, 2017 6:37 AM

Mar 2012
My no. 1 favorite anime is the one I watched when I was comparatively new to anime and it just ended up sticking to me for around 11 years. I only started to hate some aspects of the series after getting an internet connection and interacting with the fandom which was right down horrible completely infested with fujoshits and their shipping.

But the reason isn't the "nostalgia factor", I just loved all the characters, the story and comedy back then and later I began to discover a lot of other things related to the series which I still haven't even finished reading/listening/watching yet. The content itself was so much that when I thought I knew everything I would always find out about something that I didn't know about earlier. Although admittedly I hate the series just as much as I love it right now. For the past year I've been looking for a series that could actually get me that interested so that I can finally and happily kick out my current no.1 but the closest I got was Akatsuki no Yona.
Oct 6, 2017 6:38 AM

May 2016
I don't know what the future holds but it's gonna be pretty hard to topple the Monogatari series and Steins;Gate from the top.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Oct 6, 2017 6:39 AM

Nov 2016
One Piece,Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko no Basket and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood are shows where I absolutely can't imagine that I come across something which could surpass them for me, bias is too strong :S

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2017 6:45 AM
Jul 2018
Quaisar said:

I don't suffer from that problem. I started watching anime two decades ago and most of my favorites are recent.
Oct 6, 2017 6:46 AM

May 2015
I'm pretty sure my top 3 will never change, and I'm 100% sure Clannad AS will ALWAYS be my number 1. I've changed 4-10 quite a few times over the years, so I'm sure it'll change again. Not too long ago, I added Kizumonogatari.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Why is Japan Afraid of Realism in Anime?

TheSunLife - 2 hours ago

19 by Vaturna »»
18 seconds ago

» How would the "cult 3x3" look like nowadays?

thewiru - Sep 13

26 by thewiru »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime with best sound tracks!?

l_Photon_l - Yesterday

47 by 024 »»
5 minutes ago

» Animew Stater Pack ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 16

75 by TransferUser »»
14 minutes ago

» Adventure/Action Shounen with the Best and Worst ROMANCE (just the ones that even tried)

Rob7 - Yesterday

19 by WaterMage »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.