Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2017 12:51 PM

Sep 2014
alpha_shadow said:
Stunning first episode! The anime is in good hands! The visual presentation was on point in every way!The backgrounds and landscapes were absolutely incredible to look at. The soundtrack was already a joy and I loved the montage they played instead of the op with them carrying Reg. The voice actors are very on point and I really enjoy the casting choices so far. Fantastic adaptation so far. I love the OP/E̶D̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶?̶ Thanks for the clarification(it's the song that was played at the end of the episode, for those who were wondering).

Completely agree.
Jul 7, 2017 1:14 PM

Jan 2014
The background art is absolutely beautiful, but the character designs...don't really mesh that well imo

Eh, guess I'll get used to it

Definitely a good 1st episode
Jul 7, 2017 1:38 PM

Jun 2013
This is quite an exciting first episode. I'm not where the story is going from here - most likely it will be a dungeon-crawler adventure where Riko uncovers the mysteries of the Abyss, but it's also possible that we get to see what a cave-raiding culture that facilitates an orphanage like this would be really like (assuming that Riko's terrifying punishment wasn't just a throwaway joke). The rich and pretty backgrounds, the catchy opening and the main duo are also promising good things.

What's up with everyone lamenting that this is only 13 episodes long? The "one-season anime" has become increasingly more and more common in the past ten years or so. It's the rule, not the exception.
LeeTailorJul 7, 2017 1:59 PM
Jul 7, 2017 1:39 PM

Aug 2015
This anime could either turn out to be a huge success or a huge pile of garbage.
Looking at this first episode though, we are in for quite a treat.

The only issues they might have would be the length (they should've made it 22ish episodes in my opinion... ahh >.<) and the budget.

I don't know the size of the budget, but looking at this animation, it better be pretty big or it might go out in a few episodes. I saw that happening quite a few times in recent anime seasons.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2017 1:47 PM

Mar 2013
is it weird if I say this show has some studio Ghibli type of feel
Jul 7, 2017 1:56 PM

Jul 2017
Probably will be anime of the season

World-building, setting design, mood, themes all of it was wonderful!

Yes yes yes, this is going to be good!
Jul 7, 2017 1:56 PM
Jul 2018
What a show this was! splending animation and introduction! EPIC! I see now that whatever children anime I watched so far went toooo exciting! and this one was darn good!

Cant wait to see what is in the bottom of the abyss!
Jul 7, 2017 1:57 PM

Feb 2016
Gotta admit, I didn't like the chibi design when I saw the PV, but this was completely different from what I was expecting, it exceeded my expectations, this could be AOTS or even AOTY(will be hard to top Little Witch Academia tho) lets see how will it develop :D
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jul 7, 2017 2:09 PM

Jun 2014
This art reminds of me of that garbage madoka anime. Nty.
Jul 7, 2017 2:14 PM

Jul 2016
Looks promising enough. Looking forward to the next episode.

I get a feeling that it's about to become REALLY dark. -Kids being brutally murdered, the show-

Jul 7, 2017 2:21 PM

Mar 2014
I'm glad they aren't trying to hide the fact that this can get dark right from the beginning, cutting straight to the part where Nat is almost eaten, unlike doing something like Gakkou Gurashi tried to.
Jul 7, 2017 2:22 PM

Feb 2011
Yeah this one is highly likely to become my favorite show this season... not that there's much competition, but I enjoyed the hell out of this.
Jul 7, 2017 2:28 PM

Jul 2016
I don't really know what to expect from it. For now, the least I can say is that seems okay; it has good art, OST and a promising plot. Let's see how it develops.

Jul 7, 2017 2:32 PM

Dec 2015
A classic situation catching the attention, very well drawn and good-looking: great start.

4.5+/5

moozooh said:
I wouldn't expect anything less from the scriptwriter of Now and Then, Here and There.

But he had no hand tied by a pre-existing story back then. The only mandatory elements were the hero being a young boy and sliding in another world.
Jul 7, 2017 2:33 PM

Oct 2013
Very nice. The setting and atmosphere sucked me right in.
Jul 7, 2017 2:35 PM

May 2015
Gotta say that was a really interesting and intriguing first episode, it looks good, and so is the music. Really liked how they showed a glimpse of this world.

Could be a great ride and perhaps a dark horse of the season. Looking forward to it.

Jul 7, 2017 2:36 PM
Jun 2016
I really like this, but you know what this reminds me of? The Promised Neverland both from what I've heard, and just the art style and kids in weird situations. I was so excited for this when I found out about it and so far it's lived up to my hopes. Part of me wants to read the manga now, but I don't want to spoil things, might after this season ends and were waiting for 2.
Jul 7, 2017 2:46 PM

Apr 2014
The pacing was really weird to me for this first episode. We were just thrown right into to all these things happening. The first half with the insert song felt like it could have been an entire episode, it's like the show was in a rush to jam in all of these events so the viewer wouldn't get bored.
Other than that this episode was absolutely beautiful, there's no way they can keep up this animation and art quality throughout the whole show, though I really want to be wrong. Great set up, I'm definitely going to keep on watching this., even if I know the edgy twist.
HonguJul 7, 2017 2:57 PM
Jul 7, 2017 2:48 PM
Jun 2016
This will be one of, if not the best, anime of the year.

Presentation felt more like a movie than a typical weekly anime.

Soundtrack gave me an eargasm.

Interesting cast of characters.

A story full of potential.
Jul 7, 2017 2:51 PM

Jun 2015
Pretty good start for this show. I really like the characters, animation and OST. The characters interactions was fun to watch. Looking forward to see more.
Jul 7, 2017 2:56 PM

Jun 2017
So far looks very promising. It's giving me the vibes of something great, so I'm really looking forward to see what this anime has in store for us. Even though only one episode has passed, my intuition says this will be a contender to be the best of the season, or possibly even the year. That is of course, if they are able to maintain this level of quality.

Ah, I forgot to mention: the cult classic cheap explosion sound effect strikes again! At around the 4 minute mark you can catch the cheap explosion sound effect that finds its way into tons of different anime. It's from a public sound library that's been around for decades, and it miraculously still finds it's way into everything from anime and video games to TV shows and movies.
Snot-nosed_BratJul 7, 2017 9:06 PM
Jul 7, 2017 3:14 PM

Jul 2016
I have huge expectations for this one. Definitely the anime I have the biggest hopes for this season. I'll be really f*cking disappointed if this doesn't turn out to be great.
The world and settings look great, love the animation, characters, and the story look fine for episode one. I want to watch this one the sooner possible, but have no option but wait. This is why I hate to follow seasonal anime :(
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Jul 7, 2017 3:44 PM

Jan 2015
Wow, it's been some time since I've been this amazed by a first episode. The setting is astonishing! Love the world, and the art, soundtrack and overall atmosphere looks like a movie. Great start so far, Riko is adorable and Reg is interesting, looking forward for the relationship and friendship those two develop.

The mystery of the pit is great as well, count me in on full force!
Jul 7, 2017 3:46 PM

Jun 2015
Loved this 1st ep, exactly what I’d been hoping for from a series like this.
Just one question about the abyss: is it really just "over 1000 meters in diameter"? Cause that’s really not that impressive, and the size of the city would suggest something much larger. And of course "over 1 km'' could be 10 or 20, but then that'd be really poor wording...
Jul 7, 2017 3:48 PM
Jan 2016
That's an absolutely mesmerizing first episode. The art style, the background, & the music were definitely what made it so good. And honestly, I am surprised it's so good.

Venator25 said:
This will be one of, if not the best, anime of the year.

Soundtrack gave me an eargasm.

Hold your expectation there. There's still 12 episodes worth of chance this could turn out not as good as the first episode. Trust me, there are quite a few disappointing anime with great first episodes. Though I agree with you about the soundtrack. Absolutely atmospheric.

Hongu said:
The pacing was really weird to me for this first episode. We were just thrown right into to all these things happening. The first half with the insert song felt like it could have been an entire episode, it's like the show was in a rush to jam in all of these events so the viewer wouldn't get bored.

It's definitely not something that many anime often do, but that what made it so good. We neither got a long winded explanation nor typical introduction with the protagonist's/a monologue, what we got was subtle introduction about the world & the characters. You out of all people should appreciate this since you seem to enjoy Texhnolyze.
Jul 7, 2017 4:13 PM

Sep 2011
Absolutely adore the directing in this first episode, especially the use of the opening song over the breathtaking shots of the city. The anime so far has nailed atmosphere down so I am quite hopeful that the horror aspect of this could be very memorable. I dont know if this will divulge into edge or not but as of right now the premise and worldbuilding has alot of potential and if it can nail horror suspense and imagery then this could be a real stand out series.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 7, 2017 5:08 PM

Jan 2015
Damn this was easily the best first episode of the season. If it keeps up this will be one of the best if not the best show of the season.
Jul 7, 2017 5:28 PM

Sep 2015
He definitely came from the Abyss since the title of this anime is "Made in Abyss". This really seems like an awesome fantasy land that I would love to live in!!
Jul 7, 2017 5:45 PM

Nov 2014
Interesting first episode, I had checked out the manga a while ago and thought it was borderline off but the first episode was intriguing especially the ending with the explanation of the world.
Jul 7, 2017 6:05 PM
Aug 2012
Amazing episode//
Jul 7, 2017 6:48 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
OK, now THAT was wonderful! I love the setting and the storytelling, and there's been a really good world-building so far. The visuals and the landscapes look stunning! The OST is gorgeous! I could listen to it over and over.

Spectacular first episode! I found another interesting anime that I'll be looking forward to every week. :)
Jul 7, 2017 7:10 PM

Sep 2011
Hinata said:
This really seems like an awesome fantasy land that I would love to live in!!
Yeah we will see how long you keep saying that.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 7, 2017 7:43 PM

Mar 2016
Pretty f*cking original plot...
The animation was ridiculous for an anime TV series and for a 1st episode...
I hope it continious this way!
I'm pretty sure this will be one of the hits this summer a long side Kakegurui and Fate/Apocrypha...
Jul 7, 2017 7:44 PM

Jul 2017
Definitely the most interesting thing this season so far. I doubt any of the others I plan to watch this season will have anything as breathtaking as this was.
Jul 7, 2017 8:16 PM

Jan 2016
Nice first episode.. Decent pacing and makes us want to see the next episodes because there's still more explanation to be done.. I like it so far :) They got a nice animation too
Jul 7, 2017 8:21 PM

Oct 2008
That was very nice!
I have high hopes for this show!
The world building is great...i hope the plot is good and interesting too...
5/5.

Jul 7, 2017 8:32 PM

Nov 2010
Oh my, i love this. give me MORE.
Jul 7, 2017 8:34 PM

Aug 2014
No idea of the direction this is heading, but audio and visuals are gorgeous so far. Nice pilot.
Sieg Zeon!
Jul 7, 2017 8:39 PM

Jul 2012
The world is really cool and the visuals are great. Couldn't help but have a sense of uneasiness throughout the 1st episode from what I've heard. We'll see what happens!
Jul 7, 2017 8:48 PM

Oct 2012
Nice first ep.
Seems like things will get dark very soon and the town and the abyss look stunning.
Jul 7, 2017 8:56 PM
Jun 2017
Now that's how you make a first episode!!!
This was definitely the most interesting show of the season so far,I can see so much right here.Hope it doesn't disapoint later in the season,but for now this was excellent 5/5
Jul 7, 2017 9:16 PM

Jul 2014
The world is really interesting but the dialogue has shounenitis and is sheeeeeeeeet.

They need to

STOP.
FUCKING.
TALKING.
TO.
THEMSELVES.

Incredibly fucking condescending to the audience to drop lame unnatural remarks about anything and everything whenever there's an opportunity through monologue to not have to fucking tell a story properly. Even a narrator would be better than this retarded off-the-cuff verbal diarrhea.
Jul 7, 2017 9:55 PM
Aug 2011
Another one of my highly expected Summer series. The setting and atmosphere is so intriguing. Visual quality and OST were great too, had a theatrical feeling to it. Hope they don't drop the ball at this goes onward.
Jul 7, 2017 10:09 PM

Feb 2015
This promises a lot, this show has incredible backgrounds, I absolutely love it I will follow.
Jul 7, 2017 10:49 PM

Jan 2017
Wow, this is amazing so far.
The OST is absolutely breathtaking.

“People may gain strength through doing things for the sake of another. But the one thing that will always ring true... whatever you do, never make it an excuse that you are doing it for the sake of another.” - Xerxes Break

Jul 7, 2017 10:51 PM

Mar 2016
Wow really interesting first episode! I really like the setting and atmosphere of this anime so far and they did a good job of world building and explaining some of the basic elements of this anime for an opening episode. I think this anime has some serious potential to be great and with one of the more unique and interesting concepts I've seen in the anime world over the past few seasons they're on their way to success! I can't wait to see what this anime has in store over the next 12 episodes! I'm excited!!!
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Jul 7, 2017 10:55 PM

Jul 2014
Loved how they adapted it. The changes were for the better, and everything else is still there, so, no complaints here :D

Still, the manga is one of my all-time favorites... so if they screw it up... I'll boycott. Really doubt that though, seeing as the director is that of Monster, which I still have to finish watching -.-

Jul 7, 2017 11:14 PM

Jan 2008
Ueda Fumito's universe has met with Alien 9. Solid animation, solid premise, solid first episode overall. The only noteworthy show of the season.
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Jul 7, 2017 11:41 PM

Apr 2016
opening music, backgrounds, animation, world originiality are gorgeous. It looks and sounds like a best first episode of the season. I'll add myself to the list of people getting a bit of a ghibli vibe from it.

Coming back to the opening music, I still can't believe how beautiful this track is ... and it's for an anime!
Who did that?

Jul 7, 2017 11:44 PM

Jan 2015
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

Who did that?

I'm pretty sure that's Kevin Penkin
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2017

180 by eWEQRW123123 »»
Apr 19, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2017

768 by asbest0sdust »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2017

234 by p1f1 »»
Apr 16, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Are the movies cannon…?

Skylar-whoo - Apr 15

21 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 15, 7:43 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2017

190 by SanessyAdversary »»
Mar 24, 7:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.