Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 13, 2015 5:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yet another crude episode as we see through the flashbacks..especially with what some of the characters had to go through. Nice to know more about the origins of the Beast Spear though. And heh, I find it funny about Tora's reaction to seeing it in idle.

Also nice to hear more about Ushio's mother role during her past. Pretty tense episode, loved it.
Nov 13, 2015 8:03 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
And now all of the pieces have lined up together

Seeing the fates if Jie Mei and her brother as well as their entire country was very sad to see and I trully felt bad for all of them....The way that their fats are bounded to Hakumen and the Spear is tragic as fuck

Seeing the generations go by and just having everything be explained was just great and I was really anticipating it so I was thrilled.....Ushio's mom is hot as fuck too btw and I'm glad that she was able to get her wish granted in that short 2 years

Overall , great episode yet again this week and I hope that Ushio can somehow save his mom before she too falls like her other reincarnations
Nov 13, 2015 8:22 AM

Jan 2015
Awesome episode, but wont they destroy that big part of hakumen no mono in that cave?O_o
Nov 13, 2015 8:30 AM

Jan 2015
Great episode. I wonder what's going to happen since Japan is going to get destroyed if Hakumen leaves his resting place. There has to be some way he can be defeated without that happening.
Nov 13, 2015 9:21 AM

Jan 2008
SkullProX said:
Awesome episode, but wont they destroy that big part of hakumen no mono in that cave?O_o

It'll happen. It's something they need to clear up before Ushio decides what he's going to do.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Nov 13, 2015 9:24 AM

Aug 2008
Good episode. Lots of revelation.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 13, 2015 9:26 AM

Jun 2014
Well that was a pretty interesting origin story. Now let's see what Ushio decides to do....
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 13, 2015 9:33 AM

Jul 2013
Good episode, mostly infodump about what happens in the past, but very interesting. I like Jie Mei, btw.

I wonder what will happen in the last 6 episodes.
Nov 13, 2015 9:37 AM

Aug 2008
I wonder what Tora mean when he said he is about to remember about something when he look at the spear. There's more connection between Tora and the spear?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 13, 2015 10:02 AM

Jun 2014
finally some important reveals
:3
Nov 13, 2015 10:09 AM

Feb 2014
That should have answered a lot of questions for the anime-only viewers. Mappa did that arc justice, and it seriously didn't feel like it's length at all - much shorter in fact. They're going to skip some arcs next, and jump from chapter 115 to chapter 139. Read the chapters in between if you want the full story (though one of those arcs features a character introduced in an earlier arc that was skipped). Hyped for the arc that starts next week, because it introduces a character that really grew on me in the final stages of the manga.

Zapredon said:
I wonder what Tora mean when he said he is about to remember about something when he look at the spear. There's more connection between Tora and the spear?

Yeah, there is, though it's going to be a long time until more is revealed about it - you have to wait until almost the very end of the third cour.
Nov 13, 2015 10:13 AM

Aug 2008
HitsuWTG said:
That should have answered a lot of questions for the anime-only viewers. Mappa did that arc justice, and it seriously didn't feel like it's length at all - much shorter in fact. They're going to skip some arcs next, and jump from chapter 115 to chapter 139. Read the chapters in between if you want the full story (though one of those arcs features a character introduced in an earlier arc that was skipped). Hyped for the arc that starts next week, because it introduces a character that really grew on me in the final stages of the manga.

Zapredon said:

Yeah, there is, though it's going to be a long time until more is revealed about it - you have to wait until almost the very end of the third cour.

The third cour is also going to be last one and conclusion for the series right?

Nov 13, 2015 10:16 AM

Feb 2012
Jie Mie :(

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2015 10:35 AM

Feb 2014
Zapredon said:
The third cour is also going to be last one and conclusion for the series right?

Yeah, it's going to be the final one. There'll be an one cour break after the second one, and then they're airing the third and final one.
Nov 13, 2015 10:46 AM
Apr 2014
So Jie Mei is pretty much the mastermind behind everything that happend in the story
I'm surprised the former spear wielder that kicked Tora's butt doesn't get much attention in the history and that the spear wasn't even present in the war against Hakumen no Mono, wtf?
Oh noes we can't sacrifice glorious Nippon ! quick put up a barrier and screw the entire planet with it !
Hakumen no Mono reminds me of Godzilla.
Ushio's mom is still chilling in the ocean to this day and I wonder what role Inoue will have? being the descendant of Jiei Mei.
These last 2 episodes were fantastic, I hope they keep the momentum up and not go back to monster of the week hell.
Nov 13, 2015 11:18 AM

Sep 2013
LOL these yokai/demons are no bitches :O

They took down the beast spear and hakumen no mono with sheer numbers and tenacity, didn't even need the beast spear for hakumen either XD
Nov 13, 2015 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
The story about the past was pretty interesting.

Nice to see how Beast Spear was created!
Nov 13, 2015 12:24 PM

Jun 2011
Excellent.

The story telling was well done and further gave Ushio a purpose to defeat Hakumen no Mono.
Nov 13, 2015 1:18 PM

Aug 2010
Another great ep. The continuation of what happened with Hakumen was awesome. More epic creepy glares. So it used Japan as a hostage O_o

Jie Mei throwing herself in the furnace was insane!!! The creating Beast spear part was EPIC! And that OST during it made it even better!!

I was always wondering about the red scarf so nice to know it was the remains of seals put on it. So I'm guessing the spear will get even stronger without the red scarf. I guess that's a future powerup.

Also cool to know about Ushio's mom.
Nov 13, 2015 1:21 PM

Jan 2008
Damn that was so depressingly sad, I shed mad tears when they both sacrificed themselves. Despite Ushio's efforts, he couldn't change the past. But at the very least, one thing set in stone (or in this case, metal) was a new engraving on the spear. That was really badass. That gets me thinking now, I know Giryou chose to make himself part of the weapon, but maybe he chose a spear instead of a sword because he saw Ushio grab a spear when all the swords failed? Wasn't expecting the spear's red cloth to be made out of yokai though. Hell, even the yokai sacrificed themselves to seal away the spear. The spear is more dark and tragic than I initially thought.

I'd also like to think as powerless as Ushio was, the conversation of Ushio with Jie mei about his homeland was the reason she eventually reincarnates (with her memories) in Japan. This is the best episode yet! We finally have all the answers to the lingering questions, similar to got it was pinned to the rock Tora was on. It is a mystical spear afterall.

Edit: future prediction as an anime-only watcher...The fight will take place under the ocean, the spear stabs Hakumen no Mono and stays at the bottom of the ocean forever to support the foundation of the island.
Estoy_GordoNov 13, 2015 1:28 PM
Nov 13, 2015 2:01 PM

Aug 2013
Ushio's mom went out to get the D.
Nov 13, 2015 2:10 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Normally these kinds of revelation episodes can turn out quite underwhelming. Not in this case. The mystery of Ushio's mother was well handled.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 13, 2015 2:22 PM

Jun 2014
Great episode. I always thought that his mother may be bad, but she is incredible. And Hakumen no MONO is such a BITCH. How it went in the cracks under Japan. Also great seeing the backstory of the spear. Can't want more of this episode.
Nov 13, 2015 2:51 PM

Feb 2015
By far one of the best episodes. All the pieces are finally brought together. Loved it :)

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Nov 13, 2015 4:13 PM

Jan 2011
This episode was amazing. Jie Mei sacrificing herself into the fire for her brother to forge the beast spear was quite emotional. That really made her brother go crazy and basically became a demon. He infused his demonic soul into the hilt of the spear too. We also finally found out about Ushio's mother and that she's still alive! Damn, I loved this episode. A lot of questions have been answered in this episode. Ushio will now fight confidently with his beast spear with Jie Mei and her brother's soul inside it. Time to take out this Hakumen no Mono son of a betch!
5/5
Nov 13, 2015 7:08 PM

Jan 2011
Pretty strong feels in this episode as we get the story of Jie Mei and her brother. While this tied up a lot of loose ends, it did hint at a couple of others that have been opened up.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Nov 13, 2015 7:27 PM

Jul 2010
Wow, this was an emotionally powerful episode, cried a little from seeing such a devastating aftermath.

Jie Mei is quite the wonderful person, to act so selfless when she was alive, and to really just go through all she has to contain Hakumen no Mono. It did bring into thought how it is for her to be eternal, having to say goodbye and bring this fate to others, the scene where Ushio's mom was shown, and then how Jie Mei cried depicted well her unyielding determination.

The beast spear creation scene was simply mindblowing in a way, despite his circumstance, he was able to to create the spear. To cry tears of blood, though he did have self-interest to finish the weapon, it is clear what he ultimately cherished most.

It all the more amazes me on just how much impact the time travel had while not spanning all that long at all. Can't say this enough, this breaks one's expectations in a good way. To reveaal a large amount of information while retaining such a flow. I'm impressed (repeats it a million times)!
Nov 13, 2015 7:31 PM

Jan 2011
Oh, they're starting Kirio's arc next. I thought they'd mix up the timeline a bit and do Tatari Breaker first and end this cour on Kirio. So it looks like they're completely skipping over Kyoura after all.
Nov 13, 2015 9:29 PM

Dec 2014
Wow, the Jie mei ship melted so quickly.... :'(

Dammit....
Nov 13, 2015 11:19 PM

Aug 2012
"Another epic episode" doesn't do this one justice, this one was truly classic. I love you MAPPA. They make it look like the easiest thing to adapt ever. I don't doubt that the manga's great story and pacing really do make it that, but my god are they taking the right turns at every corner with the direction.
AlexTheRiotNov 13, 2015 11:23 PM
Nov 14, 2015 12:15 AM

Jun 2014
way too much greatness in one Episode , that part when Jie Mei sacrificed herself was indeed sad but beautiful at the same time , Nice to Precisely know why The Spear wants to kill Youkai & Hakumen no mono so badly , the Spear creation scene was beyond epic . The pacing was great , this episode answered to so many questions yet non of these answers felt forced it's like they all came naturaly with the story .
It's been a while since i haven't rated a Ushio to Tora episode other than 5/5 and it looks like it's not about to change .
I'm wondering what will Ushio do about Hakumen no Mono though it doesn't seem like he can do something about him , if he does Japan would sink , so wait & see i guess
Nov 14, 2015 12:26 AM

Mar 2012
I must say this episode has gotten me really excited to see how MAPPA will do with the rest of the series. As an anime viewer who does not know the original content (or the old anime) I am definitely enjoying this journey and this episode was just the peak of how amazing this show is. I really liked the pacing and the use of visuals and how the animation was used sparingly in making those emotive parts of the story shine with the use of music. I'm just really glad that the character development is just as good as the action parts of the series.
Nov 14, 2015 1:18 AM

Aug 2008
Giryou: Since I forged this blade as a demon, I will become its spear-shaft.

Did Jie Mei brother become demon? Does that mean all those yokai are originally human? Or it just metaphor.

Nov 14, 2015 1:45 AM

Mar 2009
This episode was incredible. Along with the Reiko episode, I'd say episodes 19 and 20 have been the best of the series so far.

But, uhh, how exactly did the brother become part of the spear? It kind of just happened. Magic?
Nov 14, 2015 2:02 AM

Mar 2013
^ It was never explained in the manga either, at least as far as I've read so far.

I find it pretty fun to realise that Ushio's life is sort of a huge time paradox if you think about it, seeing as Jie Mei needed to follow Hakumen no Mono into the pillars under Japan so that Ushio's mum could hold up the barrier later (under the assumption she's older than she looks and would've been too old to have Ushio otherwise) but it's pretty much Ushio's doing that even lead to the spear being created and Jie Mei becoming a spirit.

Also I thought this pillars under Japan thing was bullshit when I read the manga but I thought maybe it was just a mistranslation... Now I'm pretty sure it must in fact be bullshit. There's no way Japan actually has pillars holding it up, right? I thought countries were tectonic plates, not something you could sink.
Nov 14, 2015 2:21 AM

Feb 2014
straggy said:
Also I thought this pillars under Japan thing was bullshit when I read the manga but I thought maybe it was just a mistranslation... Now I'm pretty sure it must in fact be bullshit. There's no way Japan actually has pillars holding it up, right? I thought countries were tectonic plates, not something you could sink.

That idea of pillars holding up Japan actually comes from Shintoism - you have to keep in mind that Ushio to Tora heavily draws from this as well as Buddhism at times. The only difference is that in Shintoism, it's a catfish between the pillars which is responsible for Japan's earthquakes. Check the Kashima Jingu shrine for reference.
Nov 14, 2015 2:23 AM

Jun 2013
damn man she jumped into the fire this episode was beyond amazing
Nov 14, 2015 3:51 AM

Dec 2013
Wait.. are there different time lines?

So did the events of Hakumen no Mono and the beast spear happened before Ushio time travelled or did it happen only because Ushio time travelled?

Ushio's name engraved on the beast spear wouldn't make much sense if there is only a single time line since Ushio was only born thousand of years later.

I am confused as fuck
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Nov 14, 2015 3:59 AM

Jan 2009
Tooooooooootally amazing episode. I didn't think the guy would end up being the shaft for the spear - kinda cool.
Nov 14, 2015 6:15 AM

Sep 2014
Great episode. Ushio to Tora is a great shounen and I hope more people see it as well. Can't wait for the next episode.
Nov 14, 2015 6:46 AM

Nov 2011
The beginning was as expected, the main character is still one greenhorn who yells, added value and indisputable episode, is what comes after the adverse events, the narrative from a succulent and exhaustive explanation of the mysteries surrounding the launches and more. I'm really heartened by these latest revelations, failing to have now a clearer picture. The only discordant note is Ushio, but I think and I hope, will grow now that he knows many secrets about his story and those of the spear. The chapter on the designs and animations, I do not even mention it, everyone can enjoy the quality profuse in this episode.

kickmesign said:
Jie Mie :(

Oh boy, you are great ! ;)
Nov 14, 2015 6:47 AM

Jul 2015
WOW, just WOW. Very emotional episode, especially now that i know how the Beast Spear was forged and what was sacrificed in order to do that.
Nov 14, 2015 11:47 PM

Nov 2012
Last two episodes were intense. I'm surprised there's going to be another season, they seem so near the final boss.
Jaywalker.
Nov 15, 2015 12:14 AM

Dec 2012
The story is now completed. It was very sad but good to see that they become the lance, now I'm think the lance is even stronger. Great episode.
Nov 15, 2015 12:44 AM

Oct 2011
Enjoyed learning about the backstory, and all the details about Ushio's mom have been cleared up. I love how Jie Mei called Ushio "Tsung Yue" one last time before seeing him off. The real battle is about to begin.
Really wondering how the manga has 313 chapters, and how we'll have a second season since Hakumen no Mono feels so much like a final boss. Glad that we have more to look forward to, though.
Still enjoying the overall retro shounen vibe this anime gives. Looking forward to see how this plays out.
Nov 15, 2015 4:27 AM

Nov 2014
I am glad every thing has cleared up now.
Well we still have the fact that Tobio is somehow related to the spear as well.
But so far so good.

I really loved the atmosphere when the spear was created, the music, the tears and blood,
the brother and sister being part of the spear. Very touching and lovely.
Nov 15, 2015 5:12 AM

May 2013
This anime seriously gets better with each episode.Now we know the origin and the way hoe the beast spear was made
Lead me out of the dark,bishounen space Jesus.
Nov 15, 2015 6:53 AM

Dec 2014
So that's how the Beast Spear was created.

I'm getting the feeling Tora was a human in the past, and perhaps the first to wield the spear.
Nov 15, 2015 11:38 PM

Aug 2013
Benphyre said:
Wait.. are there different time lines?

So did the events of Hakumen no Mono and the beast spear happened before Ushio time travelled or did it happen only because Ushio time travelled?

Ushio's name engraved on the beast spear wouldn't make much sense if there is only a single time line since Ushio was only born thousand of years later.

I am confused as fuck

Yea, I was thinking the same thing, I hope it will be explained.
Nov 16, 2015 1:02 PM

Jan 2015
Nice ep, i really enjoyed the backstory it must've taken some time for the creator to come up with that :/
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2015

63 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 8, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2015

216 by LancelotSB »»
Mar 18, 3:12 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2015

75 by Maou_heika »»
Mar 11, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2015

144 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Sep 2, 2023 9:09 PM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2015

48 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Aug 13, 2023 9:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.