Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2015 6:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Solid episode. It introduced the main premise along with the Beast Spear. Along with the OST and action, we get the a good amount of focus between Ushio and Tora.

Damn, that pulling of the spear looked like it was pretty painful though.

Solid OST, action, etc. The feel of the artwork also gives an nostalgic feeling. Definitely impressed by this so far.

Stark700Jul 3, 2015 7:18 AM
Jul 3, 2015 6:59 AM

Nov 2013
Solid episode, IMO.
Good choice, MAPPA, to use old-like color style for this show.

Solid OST, for me.

In the end, great episode to start, especially for a 3-cour show.
Jul 3, 2015 7:48 AM

Mar 2015
Like a wise man once said "A good shonen,is a retro shonen"

Considering how most long-running "shonen" shows(manga or 3 cour in this case) begin rather slowly and weak imo,I think this was a fairly well start.

I haven't read the manga but even I can tell that MAPPA did a great job in giving this a retro feel.

Looking forward to more.
Jul 3, 2015 7:50 AM

Apr 2014
ugh i feel like ima drop this one .... if i wanted to watch a 90s anime i woulda went and found some 90s anime...this is just terrible. why didnt the studio try to give us a modern approach at old manga like parasyte did.
Jul 3, 2015 7:56 AM

Apr 2014
Moodie said:
ugh i feel like ima drop this one .... if i wanted to watch a 90s anime i woulda went and found some 90s anime...this is just terrible. why didnt the studio try to give us a modern approach at old manga like parasyte did.

Just go and watch Yokai Watch kid!
Haters always gonna hate.
Jul 3, 2015 8:14 AM

Mar 2014
Stark700 said:
The feel of the artwork also gives an nostalgic feeling. Definitely impressed by this so far.

I also like how well they managed to give the artwork an aged feeling.

Also the opening is edgy as fuck.
DesuTronicJul 3, 2015 8:57 AM
Jul 3, 2015 8:17 AM

Apr 2014
Moodie said:
So you want a dumb dubstep OST, changed character designs, and shoehorned in modern technology to try and make it look cool and hip? No thanks. An adaptation should respect its source material in spirit and how it looks as well. The Parasyte adaptation was incredibly watered down and underwhelming.
HonguJul 3, 2015 8:23 AM
Jul 3, 2015 8:23 AM

Apr 2014
Hongu said:
Moodie said:
So you want a dumb dubstep OST, changed character designs, and shoehorned in modern technology to try and make it look cool and hip? No thanks. An adaptation should respect its source material and how it looks as well. The Parasyte adaptation was incredibly watered down and underwhelming.
" An adaptation should respect its source material" oh please dont even begin to start with this dumb statement.

first of all the first episode was just horrible. if this was made in the 90s it would have be far more fluid. and no im not talking bout the ovas im talking about it being a tv adaption. the style of that era is dead and please keep it dead. this looks like and is trying to recreate the 90s stereotype. as if its forcing itself to be something it isnt. sequences looked odd and animation was just plain weird at times. if they made it modern i think it will appeal to more people. and no im not the only one who feels that way there are many more.

idc about parasyte but atleast it was watchable and the manga wasnt anything spectacular in the first place. as i stated before if i wanted a 90s anime i woulda went and found me some 90s anime that actually KNOW how to do 90s right.
Jul 3, 2015 8:29 AM

Feb 2011
I pretty much got what I expected. Loved it. Will watch it again once subs are out.
Jul 3, 2015 8:31 AM

Apr 2014
Moodie said:
Hongu said:
So you want a dumb dubstep OST, changed character designs, and shoehorned in modern technology to try and make it look cool and hip? No thanks. An adaptation should respect its source material and how it looks as well. The Parasyte adaptation was incredibly watered down and underwhelming.
" An adaptation should respect its source material" oh please dont even begin to start with this dumb statement.

first of all the first episode was just horrible. if this was made in the 90s it would have be far more fluid. and no im not talking bout the ovas im talking about it being a tv adaption. the style of that era is dead and please keep it dead. this looks like and is trying to recreate the 90s stereotype. as if its forcing itself to be something it isnt. sequences looked odd and animation was just plain weird at times. if they made it modern i think it will appeal to more people. and no im not the only one who feels that way there are many more.

idc about parasyte but atleast it was watchable and the manga wasnt anything spectacular in the first place. as i stated before if i wanted a 90s anime i woulda went and found me some 90s anime that actually KNOW how to do 90s right.
Whatever, I don't want to start a big argument so let's just drop this here. I like the 90s old school style, you don't. Cool.
But considering your signature and profile I'm sure you like to get a rise out of people anyway, so you got me there.
Jul 3, 2015 8:32 AM

Jul 2013
Moodie said:
and no im not the only one who feels that way there are many more.

Opinions, opinions. Hm, seems like you're the only one so far in this discussion. Stick to the manga style or modernize it, you can never satisfy everyone, just like the Parasyte adaptation.

Jul 3, 2015 8:38 AM

Apr 2014
Hongu said:
Moodie said:

Whatever, I don't want to start a big argument so let's just drop this here. I like the 90s old school style, you don't. Cool.
But considering your signature and profile I'm sure you like to get a rise out of people anyway, so you got me there.
my sig has nothing to do with this convo and its mainly there as my valid opinion....if i was trolling i wouldn't go to such lengths explaining myself.

and i never said i didnt like 90s anime i said id rather watch a 90s anime than watching a current anime trying to adapt that style. but ya we should drop this here since there is no need for me to post any longer since i dropped this anime anyways. enjoy the rest of the series and discussions afterwards.
Jul 3, 2015 8:42 AM

Dec 2014
Fine job on recreating the feel of a 90's shounen, but the VA for the MC can tone down a bit, he's trying too hard, on the other hand Rikiya Koyama really tries to give his character some personality, but both of them sound more like loud noises.
Jul 3, 2015 9:09 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Moodie said:
I haven't seen the episode yet but maybe this is one of those series that doesn't need to be modernized or would simply feel out if place if it was

Personally I think that it's pretty impressive of MAPPA to be able to recreate a 90's feel for such an outdated series
Jul 3, 2015 9:15 AM

Dec 2012
Moodie said:
Hongu said:

This is really ironic, considering some of the Japanese fans complaints about Madhouse modernizing parasyte.
Jul 3, 2015 9:29 AM
Jul 2012
Moodie said:

For the first time i'm doing a comment, just to let you know how sorry i feel for you for not knowing what good art is.
It's not about tastes, it's about quality, in these case. You may say you don't like it, but saying "it's terrible"?! Gosh... I really feel sorry for you
Jul 3, 2015 11:06 AM

Jun 2014
well that was fun to watch.
Jul 3, 2015 12:02 PM

Sep 2013
When will Crunchyroll release this, man? I can't wait.
Jul 3, 2015 1:01 PM

Apr 2014
Avok said:
When will Crunchyroll release this, man? I can't wait.
This is the only show that's aired today that they haven't released subs for yet, and funnily enough it was the first of all of them to air. CR must have this series as a low priority.
Jul 3, 2015 5:52 PM

Apr 2013
Moodie said:
because they can do what they want? if you cant enjoy this then move along.
Jul 3, 2015 6:24 PM

Jan 2013
Great first episode, art is so spot on and acting is good enough (we don't know yet though).

Only if this was a full adaptation...
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 3, 2015 11:53 PM
Sep 2013
the old style and thick line is kinda refreshing sice nowadays mostly gave us round face with color-gradation hair.

Story-wise i find this to be the best of summer so far along with gate, definitely will keep watching.

And also Yasuno Kiyono is the main cast, it's more than enough reason to continue.
Jul 4, 2015 4:44 AM

Dec 2007
Did everyone watch this RAW?
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Jul 4, 2015 7:04 AM

Aug 2008
It turns out to be a super good episode, no wonder the manga is so highly praised.

It has all the elements that I love with the shounen genre, not to mention it's related to the Japanese spiritual thing (a plus) . I'm especially going to like Ushio and Tora's pair (please to hear this voice of Koyama Rikiya). :)
Jul 4, 2015 7:13 AM

Jan 2014
SageShinigami said:
Did everyone watch this RAW?

yes since there is no subs, fansubs must be buzy with something :)
Jul 4, 2015 11:18 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Not so fond of Ushio's normal character design, but it's pretty epic when turns into a beast. Tora reminds me of Ryuk a little, but he's far less creepier.

The battle was over rather quickly. I was expecting to see a bit more actions. Well, the opening sequence was pretty hype with various opponents he'll eventually come across, so looking forward to that.

Decent start. The comedy is kinda offbeat though.. But it probably won't become a major flaw in the show, or so I hope.

Jul 4, 2015 11:36 AM

Jan 2014
I don't know why but the art style just feels so nostalgic.

I've never read Ushio to Tora but the style kinda reminds me of Chobits (or Every 2000s anime I've ever seen). But I feel this could be a hit or miss with some of the new style elitists.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2015 11:52 AM

Jan 2013
MagicalMahou said:
I don't know why but the art style just feels so nostalgic.

I've never read Ushio to Tora but the style kinda reminds me of Chobits (or Every 2000s anime I've ever seen). But I feel this could be a hit or miss with some of the new style elitists.

Except you know, contraty to their (or his) belief or ignorance, the style isn't old, the manga author still draws the same as ever. It looks like that not because it's old, but because it's the author's style set in stone. Will "hurr JBA art so old letz change it so it will be gooder" work? No.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 4, 2015 12:13 PM

Sep 2013
DO YOU SMELL THAT?!

IT'S THE "EDGE"!

Hope it doesn't get to edgy.
Ushio looks so f*cking lame :(
Get rid of that hair style and get some plastic surgery done to your face, urghhh :(
Jul 4, 2015 12:17 PM

Feb 2014
This was a pretty cool first episode, so far the characters we piqued my interest, gonna keep watching to see were this goes.
Jul 4, 2015 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
It was a good episode.

Ushio and Tora owned those demons so quick.
Jul 4, 2015 12:24 PM

Jun 2014
Mappa really couldve made cleaner looking visuals... As far as the art style and animation, this definitely isnt Mappa's best.

This series could really do without the comedy.
Jul 4, 2015 12:38 PM

Nov 2013
Well I really enjoyed it!
Jul 4, 2015 12:39 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
After watching it, I think that the 90's feel to this series makes this series a whole lot better than if it were modernized....MAPPA handled this really well

The characters were great, the art and animation was good and the action scenes were awesome as fuck....Seeing Ushio transform reminded me of Gon's transformation in HxH which I found to be pretty cool

OP and ED were awesome and fits the series very well too
Jul 4, 2015 12:39 PM

Aug 2010
That was a hella lots of fun :D Based Mappa!! Dis gun be gud!!

Dem father son interactions beating the shit out of eachother lol

But Ushio and Tora's interactions are even better. So much fun. Love all the serious creepy faces Tora makes and how they just suddenly go comedic form XD The tone shifts are pretty nice.

Art is insanely good >.<!! Friggin loved the transformation scene. The animation was wicked :O

Dat ED! <3
Jul 4, 2015 12:43 PM

Apr 2013
That was awesome from beginning to end, I'm not disappointed. Ushio's voice I think is a bit too rough/deep, though, but it'll grow on me. Even though I did enjoy Chikao Otsuka's portrayal in the OVA, Rikiya Koyama I think did a fine job, and I hope he'll continue to give a good performance. And the animation's great, I loved it. I'll have to take a listen to the OST again, but I thought the OP and ED were excellent.

Definitely sticking around for this one, I think this is going to be one hell of a ride.
Jul 4, 2015 12:46 PM

Feb 2012
I have two major gripes with this show based on the first episode alone:

1) They kept the obnoxious humor from the manga and OVAs. Was kinda hoping they'd tone it down a bit, but given this is the director of Trigun here, I knew it was mostly wishful thinking on my mind.

2) The action kinda sucks. They cut away from showing Ushio and Tora actually hitting anything, going straight to the aftermath in the final climax, and the monsters went down too easy for my taste. I know this is just the first episode and all so the latter can be excused, but the former? Yeah...no.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Jul 4, 2015 1:04 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Best first episode with Gangsta so far.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 4, 2015 1:11 PM

Jun 2014
DatRandomDude said:

Gangsta. is on a whole another level but this was alright.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 4, 2015 1:21 PM

Apr 2013
zero expectations, kinda ignored it at first because i am not the biggest fan of the mc design but thought why not

HOLY SHIT this oozes with 90s charm

loved the first episode

not a fan of the op but it might grow on me, liked the ed

thought i was crazy at first but it really is rikiya koyama voicing tora. from time to time you could hear a more normal voice
xSanoxJul 4, 2015 1:26 PM
Jul 4, 2015 1:28 PM
Apr 2014
The good old shonen formula and the fated meeting.
I hope this gets better and more entertaining as it goes on, so far nothing really stands out except the 90's like artwork and Tora's big ass.
Drake1000Jul 4, 2015 1:39 PM
Jul 4, 2015 1:35 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
FireEmblemIke24 said:
DatRandomDude said:

Gangsta. is on a whole another level but this was alright.

well, of course gangsta is first for me too, but this is pretty much the only other one that brought me a great impression so far.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 4, 2015 1:41 PM

Jun 2014
Well this is the best anime for me this season, along with Gangsta. I love the artwork and the entire gimmick with Ushio and Tora. Also from the OP I saw a lot of characters that looked KICK ASS. It was worth the wait.
Jul 4, 2015 1:43 PM

Jan 2014
awesome first episode, i'm hyped for more yeah!!!!
Jul 4, 2015 1:45 PM

Jun 2014
5/5 the opening is goat
Jul 4, 2015 1:45 PM

Dec 2013
The Dragon Ball-ish feels are real here. Story wise it is a lot to be desired, but heck, this is only first episode, it could become something quite amazing.
Jul 4, 2015 2:31 PM

Jan 2015
I was planning on watching the old version but I only got to see 2 episodes so far so now I think I will stick to this one since it has better animation!
Solid start..
Jul 4, 2015 2:45 PM

Jul 2014
Kinda has an oldschool feeling. Like it but i wonder what type of show it will be. I cant see a full out shonen fighting anime so it might just be a comendy one
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jul 4, 2015 3:10 PM

Jan 2014
This feels nostalgic , going to watch to the end deffinetly :)
Jul 4, 2015 3:10 PM

Jul 2014
Very refreshing and different from all the other anime this season, I like how MAPPA used an older art style.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2015

63 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 8, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2015

75 by Maou_heika »»
Mar 11, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2015

144 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Sep 2, 2023 9:09 PM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2015

48 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Aug 13, 2023 9:06 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2015

73 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Aug 13, 2023 7:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.