3It was OK
3.3%
2Disliked it
0.4%
1Hated it
0.4%
Average 4.8
275 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 22, 2014 7:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice episode. Really liked the illuminating touch to the theme of the series. Izumi is also a character that I find interesting.

Oh how I find the family bonding to be so touching. 5/5.
Nov 22, 2014 10:32 AM

Feb 2014
So they adapted one of my two favorite chapters - very nice episode, completely like I expected it to be. And to make things better? My other favorite chapter (which I like even more) is going to be adapted next week. Personally, I'm hyped. Shame that it's coming to an end soon...
Nov 22, 2014 10:35 AM

Jul 2010
That was really interesting! The Isei creating a place that almost seems like a separate entity yet it isn't!

Izumi being trapped in a world where she can't remember her past. I liked how Mizuho gave up her doll to get Izumi away from the well!

Enjoyed seeing those distorted images of Ginko, with him being invisible and stuff!

Izumi's moon being the passage that connects the two. It was quite the scene seeing Mizuho and her mom calling down. Izumi remembering and responded back.

The family reunion ^^

Closing off the well and letting it breath. It was nice to see how it was leaking out, Izumi almost wanting to grab it again yet decided to watch afar was really nice!!!

Those were quite the mesmerizing stars.
Nov 22, 2014 10:48 AM

Aug 2010
Ginko to the rescue :P Another heartwarming ep ^^
Nov 22, 2014 10:52 AM

Oct 2012
Great episode, we've seen several places created by mushi but the Isei one was really interesting!
Izumi was trapped in one of those after she was lured by the stars (sometimes humans seem really easy to lure here), the fact that she couldn't remember some stuff surprised me.
This time we've watched Ginko working without an explanation of how he ended up doing that. Ginko disappearing and moving around was really cool though.
And the episode had a nice ending too :).
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Nov 22, 2014 11:10 AM

Oct 2014
Just.... wow. Call me a fanboy, but Mushishi never fails to deliver.

It was a very nice story that told us that wherever we are, there will be always people waiting for us, patiently, and kindly. This is... just making me cry.

A special remark I want to make is at the opening scene of the episode. The narration started with something that rather "supernatural" and somewhat "scary" with how Izumi told us about "there are other people besides me" and some of the classic spooky "My doll somehow move to another place, and food is somehow served and I'm alone". Despite that, the atmosphere of the story, supported with the visual and audio somehow "persuade" us not to be afraid. Instead, you'll feel this soothing chill through you; which is exactly the point of Mushishi, that something "alien" from our live is not to be hindered or frightened about. The whole story just become more powerful after the revelation that the one who did those "spooky" things is Izumi's own family.

5/5. At this point, should I just come to the discussion board first, drop my 5/5, then watch the episode?

Beautiful. Truly.

HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Nov 22, 2014 11:29 AM

Aug 2013
One of the best episodes ever.
5/5
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 22, 2014 11:35 AM

Sep 2012
Another brilliant episode.
The premise with the two-world well is brilliant as well.
5/5 prolly gonna give it a 10/10 once it finishes airing
Oh god who are you people?
Nov 22, 2014 11:50 AM

Jun 2013
GET THESE CHILLS OFF OF ME I CAN'T GET RID OF THEM.

Hands down my favorite episode of the season. Don't end Mushishi T.T
Nov 22, 2014 1:01 PM
Nov 2013
A new favorite episode of mine (lol I just realized I always say that), but I really mean it. This episode was very touching, Izumi finally being able to go back home to her family was very heartwarming. The well with the Isei it was also beautiful. 10/5
Nov 22, 2014 1:15 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
FloatingList said:

A special remark I want to make is at the opening scene of the episode. The narration started with something that rather "supernatural" and somewhat "scary" with how Izumi told us about "there are other people besides me" and some of the classic spooky "My doll somehow move to another place, and food is somehow served and I'm alone". Despite that, the atmosphere of the story, supported with the visual and audio somehow "persuade" us not to be afraid. Instead, you'll feel this soothing chill through you; which is exactly the point of Mushishi, that something "alien" from our live is not to be hindered or frightened about. The whole story just become more powerful after the revelation that the one who did those "spooky" things is Izumi's own family.

Well put! I really liked the mysterious and the "spooky" atmosphere, as you put it. I was going to put eerie, but that word seemed a little too much, spooky does a better job I think of describing. Like it was creepy, but not so much since it was also calm and mysterious. I also liked what you said about the the point of Mushishi.

The family reuniting was really heartwarming. It's another family episode after last week's :)
Nov 22, 2014 1:26 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Ah, another feels good episode. I mistook it for a "feels" episode last week for which I apologize. After all, it's been a while since I read Mushishi.

Mushi Trivia

The animations of Ginko appearing and disappearing were pretty cool. I wished he'd explain what medium he used to achieve that without going through the well.

Izumi running away from Ginko when he appeared right behind her was quite funny! As if she'd wait to listen what he has to say. XD
That pinkish flame connecting the two worlds was awesome! Izumi finally remembers about the well and her family. That reunion scene was so nice, I almost cried. >.<

As much as I didn't like the dad that much, he was considerate enough to put a bamboo in the well for the satisfaction of his daughter.

Last scene with those stars coming out through the bamboo was amazing! Izumi did break the promise with her dad a little. (^^;)

Brilliant episode! A lot of bonding episodes we're getting lately and they've all been equally great!
VindstotNov 22, 2014 5:59 PM

Nov 22, 2014 6:11 PM

Nov 2013
Might just be me imagining things but, Ginko looked a lot more... well I guess well drawn this episode. The times that he appeared his shirt seemed to have a lot of volume and wrinkles and idk, maybe it slipped by me in other episodes.

Lovely episode c:
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 22, 2014 9:12 PM
Feb 2014
The whole time I was thinking: "My God, it's full of stars!"
Nov 22, 2014 9:31 PM

Mar 2012
Impressive episode as always.
Nov 22, 2014 11:51 PM

Jul 2010
That was so good. 5/5
“Are there some unseen roles that we have unknowingly set ourselves into, dictating the rules of engagement whenever we see each other, inevitably leading to us hurting each other?”
Nov 22, 2014 11:59 PM

Oct 2014
tingy said:
FloatingList said:

Well put! I really liked the mysterious and the "spooky" atmosphere, as you put it. I was going to put eerie, but that word seemed a little too much, spooky does a better job I think of describing. Like it was creepy, but not so much since it was also calm and mysterious. I also liked what you said about the the point of Mushishi.

The family reuniting was really heartwarming. It's another family episode after last week's :)

Thanks, Tingy! :D Actually, I was about to put the word "Eerie" too xD but man, DAT OST. The OST really, really play a big role in the atmospheric building in this episode. Having the OST and the whole "I'm alone but things happen", you have that "sooting chill" kind of "spooky" as a result. Truly genius.

There's actually another thing I realized after watching Zoku Shou S2 for 6 eps, but I prefer to finish this first before confirming this "another thing".

I wonder how many episode we will have for Zoku Shou S2... anyone?

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen

Nov 23, 2014 1:36 AM

Feb 2014
FloatingList said:

Nothing is confirmed yet, though as a manga reader I can say that there are only 6 chapters left. Since the final two chapters are a two-parter, this either means that there's 4 episodes and a special left (like the first half of Zoku Shou), or 6 episodes left, though I highly doubt the latter.
Nov 23, 2014 2:28 AM

Oct 2013
I almost thought Ginko's not appearing....>.< but an interesting story this one.
Nov 23, 2014 4:39 AM

Oct 2014
HitsuWTG said:
FloatingList said:

Nothing is confirmed yet, though as a manga reader I can say that there are only 6 chapters left. Since the final two chapters are a two-parter, this either means that there's 4 episodes and a special left (like the first half of Zoku Shou), or 6 episodes left, though I highly doubt the latter.

I see. That's a pity, then. That's mean my weekends night can only be painted with Mushishi for only about a month or a month and a half maximum... Would be nice if there is an anime only episode like an OVA or sumthin...

Nov 23, 2014 6:11 AM

Sep 2014
Really interesting episode this was. Izumi was a really likeable character, which was really nice.
The scene where she was reunited with her family was touching to say the least.
Overall, episode worthy of Mushishi.
Nov 23, 2014 6:40 AM

Jan 2013
Another beautiful episode. It looked really magical when the sparks were coming out of the well.

Nov 23, 2014 11:36 AM

Jul 2009
Ginko is amazing, he could bring her back! I understand her fascination with the stars, I would be looking it for hours too!
Nov 23, 2014 12:23 PM

Jul 2014
I wonder if there are any chapters with bad-unsolved endings left. These are particularly enjoyable, reminding us this show is ***** awesome.
Kano_NTNov 23, 2014 12:29 PM
Nov 23, 2014 1:01 PM

May 2012
Wow. That was a really beautiful episode. Can't explain it much but this episode almost made cry. And i was surprised when what she thought was the moon was actually the opening of the well. Those feels when they called her name!
Nov 23, 2014 2:35 PM

Feb 2014
Silent7 said:
I wonder if there are any chapters with bad-unsolved endings left. These are particularly enjoyable, reminding us this show is ***** awesome.

Nov 23, 2014 2:44 PM

Apr 2013
Majestic episode! When I think there can't be any other way for Mushishi to surprise me, it pulls off this kind of episode.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 23, 2014 5:06 PM

Dec 2013
Great episode. I liked the ending, where the well 'breathed'.
Nov 23, 2014 10:45 PM

Dec 2012
The way they made Izumi's voice echo in that other world was very fascinating and captured the empty, lonely atmosphere of the place she was trapped in. The isei coming out of the bamboo at the end just sent shivers up my spine and made me just stop and say "Mushishi does it again." Another happy ending, this feels like it's meant to balance out the earlier part of the season. I'm still absolutely enthralled by how Mushishi is able to continuously deliver while remaining simple.
Nov 24, 2014 4:15 AM

Oct 2013
reminds of the murakami novel the wind up bird chronciles.
amazing stuff
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 24, 2014 6:07 PM

Mar 2009
Interesting episode of Mushishi this week, as always.

It's going to be sad when Mushishi ends, since there will nothing left of the manga to adapt. Difficult to find another anime that can match Mushishi's wonderful atmosphere.
Nov 24, 2014 9:06 PM

Aug 2008
How many chapters of the entire manga has the anime cover? 90 percent? Is this the very last season of Mushishi?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 25, 2014 12:44 AM

Nov 2013
Great episode. I loved the lights being released from the well at the end. Beautiful...

5/5

Nov 25, 2014 10:33 AM

Mar 2012
Before viewing this episode, I would think that a girl falling into a well and a doll playing hide and seek would be something out of a horror story. It is remarkable how Mushishi can carve such traditionally horrific facets into sublime moments.

I was aggravated at the father throughout most of the episode, but he redeemed himself at the end. Izumi was overly entranced with the glistening ‘stars’ at the bottom of the well, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she would have transcended into that alternate world once again if her father hadn’t blocked the well.

I really liked Izumi’s older sister. She was dedicated in finding her little sister and adhering to her own beliefs even though her words would not reach her obstinate father.
Nov 25, 2014 1:38 PM

Feb 2014
Zapredon said:
How many chapters of the entire manga has the anime cover? 90 percent? Is this the very last season of Mushishi?
There are 6 more chapters of Mushishi left at this point, so certainly, it's the very last season. At best, they're adapting the final two chapters as a special again like they did with the previous season.
Nov 25, 2014 3:50 PM

Jan 2014
Auralee16 said:
I was aggravated at the father throughout most of the episode, but he redeemed himself at the end.

I really liked Izumi’s older sister. She was dedicated in finding her little sister and adhering to her own beliefs even though her words would not reach her obstinate father.

My thoughts exactly! Loved how her sister kept playing with her by hiding the doll, how her mother made her food, and how her father gave the "well god" a snorkel.

Shaniyaz said:

The animations of Ginko appearing and disappearing were pretty cool. I wished he'd explain what medium he used to achieve that without going through the well.

I'm pretty sure he used refined/distilled small quantities of well water, as you could see the stars in the potion he was brewing.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Nov 26, 2014 8:31 AM

Mar 2013
I'm still amazed by the sound effects of that scene where the father fills the well with rocks.
Made me feel like I was inside the well itself.
Nov 26, 2014 2:53 PM
Feb 2013
Very good episode. I think better than the last two, though you don't really have bad Mushishi episodes. :-)

It started off with an eerie feeling, like in a classical horror or ghost-story: a girl, alone, who is not alone... things that appear, and things that disappears like the doll, etc. An empty house, a strange, dark surrounding. All elements of classical scary settings, yet Mushishi quickly turns it into a more mysterious than frightening experience. I like this sort of 'overturning the classical trope', and making the uncanny feeling into a - still alien - but rather compelling enigmatic one. Ginko's voice and demeanour contribute highly to the calming change of atmosphere, and the mixture of both the sliver of spookiness, and the serenity within an intriguing context, makes things quite enjoyable and gives mushishi it's defining hallmark.

The plot, characterisation, wondrous setting, and 'feels' were spot on this time. I personally think this is the second best episode of the season. Really well done.
Nov 27, 2014 2:59 AM

Aug 2008
HitsuWTG said:
Zapredon said:
There are 6 more chapters of Mushishi left at this point, so certainly, it's the very last season. At best, they're adapting the final two chapters as a special again like they did with the previous season.

I'm going to miss this show a lot.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 28, 2014 9:41 AM

Jan 2013
Good episode, nice conceot
Dec 4, 2014 6:39 PM

Oct 2008
terrific episode. some incredible shots, and the ending was absolutely stunning.
Dec 13, 2014 2:31 PM

Nov 2010
It felt like a sequel to the sisters which one of them got lost under the blanket
with a happy end this time

The dimension to get caught in is very interesting and common stories in Eastern Asia
I really like the last scenes drawn out at the covered well
The lights coming out looked like fireflies
Dec 15, 2014 9:39 PM

Oct 2013
Awww... what a sweet episode. I loved the premise; I knew from the first minute I'd love this episode. However, I think it would've made for a more touching story if Izumi couldn't have been saved... but I love it how it is as well.

I'm not really sure I understand how Izumi was trapped in... an alternate dimension, I guess? The way I understood it, it's like the well led to the light vein... so I'm not sure how her falling into the well led to her being in an alternate dimension of her own home.

Was there an implication at the end when Izumi reached out for the Isei flowing up through the pipe that if she touched it, she would've returned to that dimension?

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 21, 2014 5:28 PM

May 2012
Another very lovely episode, let's see what's next!
Dec 26, 2014 11:36 AM

Jun 2014
mind blowing beautiful

Dec 29, 2014 10:50 PM

Dec 2012
We need another system to score this anime. Each episode is wonderful. Very good episode, I liked the fact that it presents the parallel world.
Jan 1, 2015 11:25 AM

May 2010
Wow. Seems like an astral world or something. Very interesting.
I would probably gaze at those well stars for long too. Fascinating and magical esp. the last scene.
Truly one of the memorable episodes.

Ah. I can't believe this series is ending soon. :(
Jan 12, 2015 12:44 PM

Dec 2008
I bet Ginko could find a cure for Cancer and Diabetes.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 16, 2015 5:36 AM
Aug 2011
Loved full moon-well thing.
Jan 17, 2015 6:39 PM

Nov 2012
Beautiful episode
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

114 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:27 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

169 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 14, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

139 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 29, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2014

72 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 25, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2014

125 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 24, 2:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.