Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 15, 2014 9:16 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice to see China again especially some of his lifestyle. Oh, his family speaks Mandarin too. I kinda like seeing some of his gentler side compared when he first debuted. Furthermore, they were eating traditional Chinese food ...! The song played in this episode was nice too with some of the players training.

The scenes with Peco captured his conscience pretty well too.
May 15, 2014 10:27 AM

Jun 2013
Looks like Peco is going to start playing ping pong again. it will be interesting to see how far he goes, and if he can beat smile.
May 15, 2014 10:35 AM

May 2010
i loved the karaoke part ;) solid episode
May 15, 2014 10:45 AM

Nov 2007
so goood...and i think i am in love with Wenge,ooops.
May 15, 2014 10:46 AM

Aug 2010
I'm amazed. This series is really taking me by surprise. So realistic! Sooo good!!!

The depiction of each characters emotions is just so wonderfully done :O

Smile has really become a robot that doesn't have emotions at all. I'm still liking him. Who cares if he tells off some losers in his team :P And how he owned that team was EPIC!! The part he was alone with the cake was quite deep.

Kong is definitely my fav character now! Loving this guy so much!! He's learned Japanese perfectly and became friends with his whole team, even invited his mom to live with him. Such a great character. His development is really nice.

And his Karaoke was so good :3 Fit the situation perfectly. Him and his team were the only ones having fun while every other main character was sad and lonely.

Finally Peco is back!! :D Thank u Akuma! Bringing him back from his hobo drunk mode XD Loved the part where his life was flashing in his eyes remembering his childhood and Smile. Glad to see him wanting to get serious!! I wonder how strong Baba will make him. Starting from the basics.

Lol'd at the Sea>>Mountains and now Overseas guy XD

Kazama is friggin obsessed with training O_O Not liking this guy much -.-

Anyway Upping this to a 9 :D
May 15, 2014 10:50 AM

Nov 2009
I only hope that it won't come down to the same situation as with Kouizumi many years ago where he lost to his childhood friend on purpose in the end. As I see it, Peco is talented, no doubt, but Smile is a monster, a pure genius, so no way Peco can beat him fair and square... but he can beat everyone else (probably with an exception of Dragon besides Smile).
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
May 15, 2014 10:56 AM

Sep 2012
Wenge is one of the best supporting character I've ever seen. I love his development.

And lol @ Obaba. Does she want to date_Yutaka? ;)
May 15, 2014 10:59 AM

Sep 2011
The character development of this series is superb. Hell, this series is just fantastic period.
May 15, 2014 11:01 AM

Apr 2014
This was one of the best episodes of an anime I've ever seen, frankly. Quite incredible.
May 15, 2014 11:14 AM

Nov 2013
Barion-Zara said:
Kong is definitely my fav character now! Loving this guy so much!! He's learned Japanese perfectly and became friends with his whole team, even invited his mom to live with him. Such a great character. His development is really nice.

He's my favourite too :) His development is fantastic. I don't think his mother has came to live with him though, seemed like they were just spending christmas together.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 15, 2014 11:41 AM

Mar 2012
Astonishing episode, the best episode yet. Was reluctant on a 9/10 but this really now has the potential to me. Dat Kong with the old lady. Dat Sakuma. In fact all the characters are amazing and the situations they're in right now all really hit me. Especially with Peco and Tsukimoto. The Christmas scenes and the diving scenes too. So much in this episode that I love about it.
May 15, 2014 11:43 AM

Jun 2011
I really liked this episode, especially the karaoke part.
Is the song that Wenge sang a real song? Anyone knows its name? Thanks in advance.
May 15, 2014 12:44 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow that was simply amazing. Wenge has come far from his orignal attitude, and I love seeing how much fun he's having now with his teammates. Making wontons reminds me of how my landlord made some last week. Anyways, Wenge's has a calming voice when he sings, that whole part was a really nice watch, seeing all the characters. Not only Wenge, but even Sakuma has gotten chracter development, winning isn't everything, as losing has finally opened up their eyes. Sakuma telling Peco not to give up on ping pong because he has the talent is something that wouldn't have happened if not for his defeat against Smile. Can't stop saying how much I love this series. Time to see Peco shine again!
May 15, 2014 1:05 PM

Nov 2010
Great episode. It seems like it's the people who lost who have it easy and actually learn and are now happier. Wenge is now a different guy, only he has that sense of comradery. No doubt will that be an issue with Smiles and Kazuma. Weird hair has changed too which is nice.
You can tell the coach's attitude towards Smiles has changed a little. A lot of changes shown in this episode, I look forward to the future. Halfway done and I still think it's great, best anime of the season by far.
May 15, 2014 1:28 PM

Apr 2013
Just fantastic.
Powerful eyebrows.
May 15, 2014 1:40 PM

Jun 2013
Great episode! I think Peco will beat Smile in the future. Peco = the hero and he will save Smile (the robot).
May 15, 2014 1:45 PM
Feb 2011
Really liking the character development happening in this episode. Wenge's finally completely at peace with his situation now and has matured significantly and same with Akuma. Didn't like Akuma in the beginning, but he's a real bro. Smile's scene alone on Christmas was very symbolic, liked it a lot.
Wenge is definitely my favourite character. The scene with his mom and teammates really warmed my heart :').
May 15, 2014 1:48 PM

Oct 2013
Wenge has changed so much. It's amazing if you remember how much of a buttface he was before he lost in the tournament. What a development

That karaoke was definitely good! I agree
May 15, 2014 2:35 PM

Jun 2012
Loved the beginning with kong and his mother.

And finally peco will take the sport seriously. Smile needs a rival.
May 15, 2014 3:03 PM
Jan 2013
This episode just confirms this to be the best show of the season. Just hell man... these characters are just SO GOOD.
Kong- Going from only caring about winning and going back to china into actually caring and bonding with his fellow teammates. So heartwarming :D
Peco - Goes from a egoistic winning ping pong player into a person who goes into thinking he has no talent and can't become the best into I CAN DO THIS
Smile - Goes from not caring about ping-pong at all into turning into a ping pong monster with the help of the coach
Just amazes me how this show handles their characters in such a good way without feeling forced at all.
Kinda sad how most animes cant develop characters at all while this show does it in 4 episodes x.x
May 15, 2014 3:18 PM

May 2014
Dude failed to find his way into the mountains. Now he wants to go Overseas. Looks like we're heading to internationals.
May 15, 2014 3:22 PM

Apr 2013
Amazing episode again. The scenes with Kong spending christmas together with mother and comrades were really heartwarming, glad to see that he calmed down and realized a bit what's important in live.
I laughed so much at the part with the guy walking past the door obviously trying to get invited! xD

The character development in this anime is truly amazing.
So far this is the show I'm waiting for the most each week this season!
May 15, 2014 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
It gets better and better!
May 15, 2014 4:06 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Smile's becoming more and more like robot was actually awesome. Liked the way he looks down on the whole team. Haha.

Loved Wenge's character development. Learning Japanese perfectly and becoming good friends with his team members and enjoying Christmas like a family.

That karaoke was brilliant! Along the song, every main character's circumstances were portrayed perfectly.

Nice seeing Sakuma putting Peco back on track!
That scene where Peco almost died and his childhood was flashing before his eyes.. Nice.

Great episode. I wish Sakuma somehow starts playing alongside Peco. That'd be great!
VindstotMay 15, 2014 4:43 PM

May 15, 2014 4:26 PM

Jul 2010
Nice to see Kong's mom visiting, Kong learned Japanese and is getting along with everyone fine.
I thought Peco would still be a lost cause, but really glad that he is going to take ping pong seriously. Akuma motivating Peco saying that he has talent, it was nice to see his admiration. That rescue was pretty nice too and Peco going through his life as he was drowning.
I hope Peco can bring Smile to not such an outcast states that Smile has right now.
May 15, 2014 4:30 PM

Dec 2010
Loved this episode, my favorite till now together with ep 2.
I'm amazed my Kong's character development! I'd like to see him playing again against Tsukimoto now.
And the near death experience was an excellent "trick" to get Peco into ping pong again... And Sakuma was also great, helping him getting out of the slump.

Anyway, I'm worried about Tsukimoto. He passed from being a casual player, a beautiful butterfly, but now... a lonely robot? I wonder if he still enjoys playing ping pong.
May 15, 2014 4:45 PM

Jun 2009
Here is the song which was played during the episode :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keNnyHDXNJk#t=32
May 15, 2014 4:50 PM

Apr 2014
Kong's definitely my favorite character, but after this episode i'm liking Peco too. I hope he can beat Smile in a match
Red is the color of a hero
May 15, 2014 4:52 PM
Oct 2012
SetsukoHara said:
Wenge is one of the best supporting character I've ever seen. I love his development.

This is particularly true in that Wenge is Chinese. Few shows in any country can depict a foreign character this detailed while not somehow making them a bit like a native. Wenge is developing, not as a Japanese flavored Chinese, but as a real Chinese person would.

I may not be explaining this well enough, and I am not saying that there isn't good depictions elsewhere, but there is just something a tad more authentic about Wenge that I really am enjoying.
May 15, 2014 5:09 PM

Mar 2012
Kong and Peco, *sniffle* ... love you guys.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 15, 2014 5:13 PM

Jan 2009
so Peco is the Hero while Smile is the Robot, i can see the finals now

but damn looks like Smile is alone on there house
May 15, 2014 5:44 PM

Oct 2013
This show is just amazing. Each episode compounds on the past eps so well without losing steam, chugging on 110%. It sort of contrasts with the idea that there are some sights you can only see at the top. Sometimes, it takes a fall from grace to understand reality (Sakuma + Wenge). Love it
May 15, 2014 6:12 PM
Jul 2018
Kong learned Japanese perfectly. I totally loved his karaoke.
May 15, 2014 6:48 PM

Oct 2012
The kids in the beginning talking about the robot and the hero really made an impact at the end of the episode when you realize that it represents Smile and Peco.

I really like Kong's character development.
May 15, 2014 7:45 PM

Apr 2011
This series is the sports genre reinvented. I can't believe how interesting they made table tennis (of which I have no experience).
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
May 15, 2014 7:49 PM
Feb 2014
Wasn't a huge fan of this episode as i only care about Smile and Kong.
I like that peco getting back into it but i don't want him to beat smiles which i have a feeling that thats going to happen.
Highlights
The kong segment was really nice and im loving his development
You see how ostracized smiles is from everyone
reappearance of ocean kid
I only read books i have already read
May 15, 2014 7:51 PM

Jan 2013
He tried the seas, he tried the mountains, now he'll go overseas. Very cool to see.
Great soundtrack this episode. Loved the christmas night visuals.
May 15, 2014 8:14 PM

Mar 2009
Man...this anime is so impressive. The Christmas sequence was wonderful.
May 15, 2014 8:21 PM

Aug 2013
This is fantastic. Some parts are incredibly funny with a style of humor we don't usually see in anime. I noticed Kong's mother making those dumpings, I think they were gyoza. I tried making them but they turned out horrible wrong.. and at restaurants they have cabbage in them, which I hate. Hopefully I can make them successfully in the future. But the point is, this show is fantastic. I laughed when Peco screamed underwater.
May 15, 2014 8:33 PM

Jun 2007
Like some of the others have mentioned, I'm definitely seeing the Smile = robot and Peco = hero relationship, though it took quite a bit of chocolate to get to this point.

I actually liked China as a jackass more than he is now, but character development-wise it fits very well so I guess it's fine. Otherwise, I really liked how this episode illustrated the difference between those playing the sport because they want to be the best, just playing to have fun, and all the variations in between. Kind of reminds me of my days doing sports in high school and how some wanted to just have fun like me and some wanted to never lose and never relent, always serious.

It's really surprising and frankly amazing how they were able to pack in so much depth and complexity in just one episode with so many characters (granted that the five previous episodes built up to this). Very well done episode. I was underestimating this series before but now it definitely has my attention.
Kjeldoran109May 16, 2014 6:40 AM
May 15, 2014 8:43 PM

Apr 2012
A heartless robot who was recognized by even the dragon. Only the hero can defeat it.

Does that mean that Peko will actually be able to defeat Smile in the future? Damn, I wonder how that's going to happen..
"Rejoice! We are humans— we are the most talented people! Precisely because we were born without any ability— we can achieve anything— this is the will of the weakest race!" – Sora, ‘No game No life Vol.01’
May 15, 2014 9:26 PM

Oct 2011
why isn't Wenge a main character T___T. Fantastic episode!!!!!!
May 15, 2014 10:10 PM

Jul 2012
I like how this anime depicts/shows other players perspective which makes it seem real because in real life we here of situations where the greatest fall or where the person was a supposed prodigy but ended up a bust or ended up meeting real competition.

Man Peco has really fallen and it sucks because I actually liked his character, hopefully he can get it together
May 15, 2014 10:21 PM
Mar 2014
peco is back! this episode made me pump my fist!!!
May 15, 2014 11:14 PM

May 2012
KYAAAAAAAAA... Wenge's japanese is soooooo sexy :D

And, Wenge's sooooooooong <3
May 15, 2014 11:34 PM
Aug 2013
Fantastic
May 15, 2014 11:39 PM

Sep 2013
I thought the beginning wasn't as impressive, but it needed a slowdown episode to give balance. The part with Peco was shocking and really moving. I'm enjoying the series <3
May 16, 2014 12:14 AM

Mar 2008
And then it trumps it all.

That montage. All those characters. All that development. Can you even play like this?
May 16, 2014 12:24 AM

Mar 2012
Kong singing karaoke is now my favorite moment of this season.
May 16, 2014 3:42 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Best Xmas episode ever done in anime I swear. It was amazing to see those who had lost actually being out and enjoying myself and see the winners completely obsessed with attaining perfection.

I look forward to seeing Peco develop his skills further.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

395 by Gojo_Sensai12 »»
Feb 18, 3:13 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2014

140 by SHS13 »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.