Forum Settings
Forums

Worst anime adaptation that completely butchers the source material?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 25, 2014 9:49 PM

Mar 2014
CLannad after story - You can't butcher much more than adding a 2nd part that never existed :P

(it was still AWESOME though)
Mar 25, 2014 10:04 PM

Feb 2013
Definitely Code:Breaker.

Mar 25, 2014 10:21 PM

Aug 2012
orchidork said:
chaos;head

cake;taken
Mar 26, 2014 11:45 AM

Aug 2012
Tsukihime! wait a minute... A tsukihime anime doesn't exist.
GantZ, ruined the manga with it's fugly animation, storyline, and voice acting.
Mar 26, 2014 1:01 PM
Feb 2014
That would be Pupa... god damn ...
Mar 26, 2014 1:08 PM

Feb 2014
Fullmetal Alchemist.

I actually quite liked the first series although it went off on a series of huge tangents quite quickly and the ending is completely different, which is fair enough seeing as the manga wasn't actually finished. Still though not a fan of the ending but I do love the first series' Wrath, he was an awesome character.
Mar 26, 2014 6:58 PM

Jul 2012
pralan said:
Umineko and Tsukihime at the point that none of them exist

Don't forget Chaos;Head, Fate Stay Night and 11 Eyes.
But yeah, Umineko is probably the most terrible adaptation ever (and even so, I forced myself to like it, because the VN is just way too perfect) ;__;
Mar 26, 2014 7:00 PM

Jun 2007
Welcome to the NHK.

The characters are almost completely rewritten, the story is missing about 75% of itself and what it retained was rewritten to lose it's entire point, and the ending was completely made up as well as RUINED THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE STORY.

You can like it if you want - however it is VERY MUCH a situation where they butchered the source material.

I see a lot of people in the thread just listing things they felt were 'ruined' by the adaptation overall - or were shitty shows and thus bad adaptations. The question the OP asked is about how well the series kept to the source material, not how good or bad of an anime it was in general. In the case of my post, you may have loved NHK, however it is factually a massive butchering of the source material and everything in it.
TallonKarrde23Mar 26, 2014 7:03 PM
Mar 26, 2014 7:02 PM
Jul 2018
Devil Survivor 2
Diabolik Lovers
BlazBlue
Mar 26, 2014 7:06 PM

Jun 2013
TheGrandSage23 said:
Rosario Vampire

/thread
Mar 27, 2014 4:33 AM

Feb 2013
i'd have to go with toriko.....i mean i could tolerate when they were watering shit down (considering i started watching the anime then the manga later),but when it reached what was supposed to pretty much be the best arc it was an abomination,shaky budget crappy music sync not to mention they completely changed alot of shit.it's an adaptation that's half assed at best
Mar 27, 2014 5:13 AM

Jan 2013
Little Busters. haven't read the VN though. only heard that the VN is supposed to be great.

well. the anime was pathetic
Mar 27, 2014 5:15 AM

Sep 2011
hybreezy said:
the BlazBlue games have a terrible story anyway, nothing of value was lost
I disagree big time, the story in those games are more well written than given credit for how every character's storyline interconnects and events tie in together so well especially with the pay off in chronophantasma which if it were an anime here id be giving it a very high 9/10. its storlyine is great and its got a likable and unique cast of characters and while not all of them are as developed as carl jin, noel or tsubaki there isnt a character that isnt enjoyable to watch even the villains who you love to hate, the world it sets up shares both interesting imagery as well as a interesting backstory, and even if the slow start due to the confusing first game bringing more questions than answers the games that came after that and their ability to juggle so many plot points without neglecting any of them is really something to appreciate as there was clearly a shit ton of work put into making the story progress
JizzyHitlerMar 27, 2014 5:19 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 27, 2014 5:29 AM

Aug 2013
Tsukihime.
Mar 27, 2014 5:32 AM

Jan 2013
Zenaku said:
Tsukihime.

Tsukihime doesn't have an anime.
Mar 27, 2014 5:38 AM

Jan 2013
Zenaku said:
Tsukihime.

Kids these days *sigh*
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 27, 2014 5:52 AM

Sep 2012
skyzblue said:
Zenaku said:
Tsukihime.

Kids these days *sigh*

Yeah, I can see facepalm.jpg
Mar 27, 2014 6:10 AM

Sep 2012
Jody32 said:
Inferno_Cop said:
skyzblue said:
Zenaku said:
Tsukihime.

Kids these days *sigh*

Well, compared to a lot of the old 80's and 90's ova adaptions, Tsukihime is pretty tame, but it is still bad.

Violence Jack anyone?

Yes we need more ova like VJ.Don't you know all old anime are awesome because of blood and gore, also *cough*Amon apocalypse of the devilman*cough*
Mar 27, 2014 6:34 AM

Aug 2012
Freezing Vibration... Holy shit how bad it is compared to the manga.
Mar 27, 2014 8:29 AM

Apr 2013
Gonzo's Hellsing
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Mar 27, 2014 8:35 AM

Jul 2013
CronaTheWeapon said:
TheGrandSage23 said:
Rosario Vampire

/thread

^
Elfen Lied, and I didn't read the visual novel but I've heard they messed up with SAO.
Mar 27, 2014 8:47 AM

Aug 2010
+1 for Rosario + Vampire

Sub-par visual novel adaptations like Da Capo.

Also, filler arcs in any shonen fighting series. Except the driving filler from Dragon Ball Z, that was pure comedic gold.
My YouTube channel, where I do unboxings and show off my anime collection, merchandise, and other swag:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TCTriangle
Mar 27, 2014 8:48 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Chaos;Head and Majikoi

also Umineko because they never finished it wtf
HaXXspettenMar 27, 2014 8:53 AM
Mar 27, 2014 8:49 AM
Mar 2011
Guin Saga
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 27, 2014 10:50 AM

Jun 2007
FGAU1912 said:
Guin Saga
Thanks for the reminder, I almost forgot you said that all of two days ago.
Mar 27, 2014 10:51 AM
Mar 2011
Zalis said:
FGAU1912 said:
Guin Saga
Thanks for the reminder, I almost forgot you said that all of two days ago.

i just fail ot see why the anime has sucj a good rating on Mal
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 27, 2014 10:59 AM

Sep 2012
Inferno_Cop said:
Jody32 said:
Inferno_Cop said:
skyzblue said:
Zenaku said:
Tsukihime.

Kids these days *sigh*

Well, compared to a lot of the old 80's and 90's ova adaptions, Tsukihime is pretty tame, but it is still bad.

Violence Jack anyone?

Yes we need more ova like VJ.Don't you know all old anime are awesome because of blood and gore, also *cough*Amon apocalypse of the devilman*cough*

MASTERPIECE! The pinnacle of bloody action and drama.
Mar 27, 2014 11:15 AM
Dec 2013
Aqua_Mars said:
Chrno Crusade

I thought the anime was pretty good, though it can't compare to the manga.
Mar 27, 2014 12:41 PM

Oct 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
Welcome to the NHK.

The characters are almost completely rewritten, the story is missing about 75% of itself and what it retained was rewritten to lose it's entire point, and the ending was completely made up as well as RUINED THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE STORY.

Actually the ending is the same as the novel.
Mar 27, 2014 1:00 PM

Jan 2013
UnoPuntoCinco said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Welcome to the NHK.

Actually the ending is the same as the novel.

The manga ending was better..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 27, 2014 1:32 PM

Aug 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
I see a lot of people in the thread just listing things they felt were 'ruined' by the adaptation overall - or were shitty shows and thus bad adaptations. The question the OP asked is about how well the series kept to the source material, not how good or bad of an anime it was in general. In the case of my post, you may have loved NHK, however it is factually a massive butchering of the source material and everything in it.
If in the end the adaptation ends up being good on its own even though it is almost completely different from the source material, then it is not a bad adaptation that "ruins" or "butchers" the source material. Although this has more to do with the fact that I do not share the same opinion as the OP. A good anime that happens to be an adaptation is a good adaptation, and a bad anime that happens to be an adaptation is a bad adaptation. They are one in the same.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Mar 28, 2014 4:01 AM
Dec 2008
90% of anything based on the manga is crap... Japan is incapable of writing a good story unless they base it scene for scene on a manga. I have completely given up on them being able to improvise anything.... It's just unbelievable the quantity of crap they churn out every year. It takes so much digging just to find an odd gem.

They do MUCH better when its a manga or better yet, a light novel is where they excel at. I think its because there's no idiotic business man looking over their shoulders saying "this part needs a panty shot, cut half the dialog and insert a scene of her breasts swinging about instead." Adding sex is fine, but don't kill the story with it....
Mar 28, 2014 4:04 AM

Jun 2007
gamer2710 said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
If in the end the adaptation ends up being good on its own even though it is almost completely different from the source material, then it is not a bad adaptation that "ruins" or "butchers" the source material. Although this has more to do with the fact that I do not share the same opinion as the OP. A good anime that happens to be an adaptation is a good adaptation, and a bad anime that happens to be an adaptation is a bad adaptation. They are one in the same.

The op specified the guidelines of what he's asking about are the worst in terms of adapting the source material specifically. You can disagree, I do as well - there are lots of adaptations that are great on their own, and some even better than their source, not being loyal to the original material doesn't make something bad. However, he's clearly asking very specifically about it in relation to how bad a series was at maintaining it's faithfulness to the original material, not the quality of the show on its own. So while disagreeing, it's not relevant to the thread, and answering it incorrectly is still both incorrect and off topic. Disagreeing with his guidelines for the thread means you shouldn't post in it if you can't just answer what he is specifically asking, not post in it anyway with your own idea of what the thread 'should' have been about or included.
Mar 28, 2014 5:16 AM

Jan 2013
gamer2710 said:

^ Just like Chuunibyo season 1, it deviated from the source material but was a great watch.

The worst adaptation in my mind is Hidan no Aria. They can't even follow simple stuff like a car chase sequence and changed it around for "easy animation".
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!
Mar 28, 2014 7:08 AM
Mar 2014
TheGrandSage23 said:
Rosario Vampire

I second that.
Events from season 1 anime occur in the second season mangas.

Along with many characters left out.
Can't have a Rainbow with REYN, BABY!
Mar 28, 2014 7:41 AM

Dec 2013
Samurai deeper kyo
Beta never gives up
Never hide, Never be discouraged
Never accept friendzone
Mar 28, 2014 7:54 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
My vote is for the 4 part Corpse Party OVA. I had played the game and we watched in anime club and my friends were like WTF?! just happened because they basically just skip over a huge chuck of the story. Like, the characters are all like, we need to find these items to stop this curse. Then in the next scene they just have them. Also, does shitty things to the ending of story, that I wasn't to happy with.

As for the Hellsing TV series, I think it is great until they run out of source material. Like half way through the show they run out of manga and so make stuff up. What they make up is really kind of terrible. But up until that point I think in a lot of ways it adapted the manga better than Hellsing Ultimate.
Dec 22, 2015 4:27 PM

Dec 2015
Black Butler.
Dec 22, 2015 4:30 PM

Jun 2015
Didn't we have a thread like this already?
Dec 22, 2015 4:32 PM

Apr 2013
AltoRoark99 said:
Didn't we have a thread like this already?

it was locked a few hours ago for being a listing thread. I'm actually disapointed in it being locked, as it wasn't a simple listing, peoples were discussing and it was interesting and informative ImO. Well what's done is done. That thread is necroed though, and doesn't seem half as interesting as was the new one.
Dec 22, 2015 4:42 PM

Dec 2015
TallonKarrde23 said:
Welcome to the NHK.

You can like it if you want - however it is VERY MUCH a situation where they butchered the source material.

Everybody knew it lol.
Dec 22, 2015 4:42 PM

Jun 2014
Shaman King
Ichigo 100 %
Dec 22, 2015 4:43 PM

Dec 2015
ColdNobility said:
Tokyo ghoul easily

More easy than that you die.
Dec 22, 2015 4:47 PM

Sep 2015
I wouldn't say butchered, but i found the anime adaptation of Planetes to be inferior to its manga counterpart.
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Dec 22, 2015 4:52 PM

Aug 2014
SmoothJazzDavis said:
ColdNobility said:
Tokyo ghoul easily

SmoothJazzDavis said:
ColdNobility said:
Tokyo ghoul easily

Tokyo Ghoul √A, makes no sense
Dec 22, 2015 5:03 PM
Dec 2013
Black Cat
Dec 22, 2015 5:04 PM

Nov 2013
Toriko was pretty bad
Dec 22, 2015 6:07 PM

Nov 2008
Kamichama Karin WAS GOD AWFUL. I love the manga to pieces but the anime.....it makes me cry tears....salty tears of BLOOD.

Dec 22, 2015 6:08 PM

Nov 2008
NarTaco said:
Aqua_Mars said:
Chrno Crusade

I thought the anime was pretty good, though it can't compare to the manga.

Chrno Crusade was very good until the last four episodes. Still one of my favorite animu.

Dec 22, 2015 6:14 PM
Mar 2014
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood *trollface*
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

54 by notPara »»
32 seconds ago

» Which character in your favorites is the most down bad / warped personality?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 5

22 by Kenzolo-folk »»
48 seconds ago

Poll: » hate watching

deg - Apr 14

47 by Ricchan__ »»
3 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 12 hours ago

45 by Pinoffin »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

24 by bucciest »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.