Forum Settings
Forums

Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time?

New
Mar 28, 12:49 AM

Mar 2021
For all intents and purposes, my favorite anime is Great Pretender, but if someone told me that Great Pretender was the greatest anime of all time, I'd probably pass out - or at least question just how many anime they'd seen.

An anime could be your favorite because of a single aspect - character relationships, dialogue, art style, soundtrack, etc. "Greatest", on the other hand, seems to imply that this anime is pretty much perfect and that every aspect is exceptionally executed. Thus, there is a huge difference. Of course, if your favorite is One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, or Monogatari, it would not be a shocker at all.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 28, 12:51 AM

Feb 2020
Well, yeah. So far, I think I have only seen one other user with having Starβ˜†Twinkle Pretty Cure as their number one favorite anime.

SerafosMar 28, 12:58 AM
Mar 28, 12:59 AM

Oct 2013
I mean, nichijou possibly the goat. I won't be suprised at all.
Mar 28, 1:06 AM

Jul 2021
Violet Evergarden is actually a rather highly rated anime.
It's rare, but people actually rated an anime decently well.
Mar 28, 1:15 AM

Jan 2020
I would be surprised but rather by the fact Mawaru Penguindrum isn't for everyone, it's rated relatively high though.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Mar 28, 1:16 AM

Dec 2021
I mean, maybe? Urusei Yatsura, City Hunter and Ashita no Joe are like the only three in my favorites that are well known enough that other people are likely to also love them like I do. The rest just aren't likely to be as known (And also have significantly less than 1000 favorites each), and are more just there because they struck a chord with me specifically. If someone told me that Jigoku Sensei Nube or Kyou kara Ore wa!! were their idea of the greatest anime of all time, well, I don't exactly know how I'd react, even though I love those two anime to death.
Daviljoe193Mar 28, 1:21 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. πŸ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Mar 28, 1:20 AM

Mar 2023
Monster is already consider to be or one the all time great(s) by many people.
Mar 28, 1:55 AM

Feb 2019
I’d say most of my favorites are highly regarded by many. So I wouldn’t be surprised if others seem to agree. But I honestly couldn’t care less whether it’s considered the greatest or the worst. What matters is that I like it.
Mar 28, 1:57 AM

Nov 2017
I wouldn't surprise. There is no objectively greatest anime of all time. All opinions are subjective.
Mar 28, 2:41 AM

Jul 2022
Not at all, all my favorite had stood the test of time. Why do you think we have 50 anniversary for Mazinger and Voltes. 40 anniversary for L-Gaim and Layzner
Mar 28, 2:49 AM

Apr 2012
Not particularly surprised. I would say as far as "objective" quality goes, Lain is one of a bunch of 20 or 30 things which could be sensibly chosen as 7th best behind what seem like a reasonably clear top six. So saying it's the greatest would only be a very small difference from my opinion, and hence not surprising at all.

"Greatest", on the other hand, seems to imply that this anime is pretty much perfect and that every aspect is exceptionally executed.

Oh, definitely not. Great anime are anime which do great things. And great things are impossible to do perfectly because you're doing them for the first time and you're having to learn as you go along. Perfection is something that can only be achieved by doing very familiar things which have been done many times before so it's quite clear how you do them best. Which makes it impossible to be anything more than "good". "Perfect" and "great" are almost contradictory.
Mar 28, 3:01 AM
Mar 2024
I'd be surprised if somebody other than me were to say that Jewelpet: Magical Change is their favorite anime, more so if they want to see a sequel/continuation of Jewelpet: Magical Change, and quite possibly even more so if they want to see every single Jewelpet getting a human form. (As in, the Jewelpets that never got a human form in the original series way back in 2015. In all fairness, though, it's been way too long since the anime ended. Here's to hoping that the 15th anniversary of the Jewelpet anime will at least give us something in return.)
Cybre771Mar 28, 4:22 AM
Mar 28, 3:16 AM

Jul 2015
When it comes to quality, absolutely not. Romeo's Blue Skies is the epitome of the phrase "greatest anime of all time."

However, when it comes to popularity, yes, I would be very surprised. It is unfortunately quite rare to come across others who have watched it
Mar 28, 3:52 AM

Nov 2023
Kino's Journey anyone? Its not the most popular unlike my other two, which came out recently and are both popular/ viral, this one came out 20+ years ago and is stuck with way fewer members, and its also for the most personal reasons as well
Mar 28, 4:11 AM

Dec 2015
My reaction would be:

Since when were you under the impression that... It wasn't the greatest anime of all time?
Mar 28, 4:12 AM

May 2019
I'd be very surprised because even i would admit that Queen's Blade isn't the greatest anime ever.
Mar 28, 4:26 AM
Oct 2018
No, not at all, obviously if someone were to tell me that Hyouge Mono was the greatest anime of all time I would recognise that they too were a man of culture.
Mar 28, 4:27 AM

Jul 2016
Reply to tchitchouan
I'd be very surprised because even i would admit that Queen's Blade isn't the greatest anime ever.
@tchitchouan i think i'm more surprised by this admission than anything else. (not that i've watched queen's blade, i just always see you mentioning it.)
Mar 28, 4:29 AM

May 2019
Reply to Cazqui-09
@tchitchouan i think i'm more surprised by this admission than anything else. (not that i've watched queen's blade, i just always see you mentioning it.)
@Cazqui-09 It doesn't take a genius to realize that, it has many plot holes and unsolved story points but i love it regardless for the bikini armor fan service.
Mar 28, 4:35 AM

Jul 2016
Reply to tchitchouan
@Cazqui-09 It doesn't take a genius to realize that, it has many plot holes and unsolved story points but i love it regardless for the bikini armor fan service.
@tchitchouan sure, but i took you as the type to double down on a personal opinion of it being objectively the best anime in the world precisely because of said bikini armor fan service and plot holes. ah well.
Mar 28, 4:41 AM

May 2019
Reply to Cazqui-09
@tchitchouan sure, but i took you as the type to double down on a personal opinion of it being objectively the best anime in the world precisely because of said bikini armor fan service and plot holes. ah well.
@Cazqui-09 Nah, i'm very down to earth and reasonable guy, i can logically distinguish whether something is good or bad and rarely double down on things unless i'm fully convinced by the objective merits of that such thing.
Mar 28, 4:43 AM

Jul 2016
Reply to tchitchouan
@Cazqui-09 Nah, i'm very down to earth and reasonable guy, i can logically distinguish whether something is good or bad and rarely double down on things unless i'm fully convinced by the objective merits of that such thing.
@tchitchouan that's nice to hear, i've learnt something new and pleasant about you today.
Mar 28, 4:43 AM

May 2019
Reply to Cazqui-09
@tchitchouan that's nice to hear, i've learnt something new and pleasant about you today.
@Cazqui-09 Glad to have had this conversation with you, cheers.
Mar 28, 4:53 AM

Jul 2010
I mean it is, I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Mar 28, 5:06 AM
Jan 2023
I would be surprised if someone else said that. But it is the greatest anime in my eyes anyways.
Mar 28, 5:40 AM

Jan 2023
86 is the goat, would be more than glad to see someone share a similar love towards it whether they’ve seen a lot of anime and are a veteran or just a new viewer who hasn’t seen much.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Mar 28, 7:13 AM

Mar 2019
Yeah a little bit. I mean people like Baccano! but I dont think they would call it the greatest ever. I mean I think it is but im just one guy.
Mar 28, 7:16 AM

Oct 2021
Not really, when people are into Initial D, they usually are really into it.

KANSEI DORIFTO!!!
Mar 28, 7:23 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Well Gurren Lagann has plenty of critical acclaim so I wouldn't be surprised.

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Mar 28, 7:50 AM
Feb 2024
Yes
Yes I would I’d be very surprised
Mar 28, 8:15 AM

Aug 2018
Clannad is the sort of thing that makes a lasting impression. Not everyone is susceptible but it's not so difficult to find others who've been scarred for life by it. So...no, I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Mar 28, 8:28 AM

Nov 2023
My anime taste is very rare. I only seen few peoples sharing the similar favs as me.
But it's so good, I've never known anybody like you
But it's so good, I've never dreamed of nobody like you
And I've heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime
And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine
Mar 28, 11:16 AM
Feb 2024
Yes. While I don't currently have a favorite anime, my current favorites from what I've watched so far (which isn't that much) haven't been chosen based on quality (with the exception of Vinland Saga which is in the list due to quality), but rather due to being very enjoyable. Since being really enjoyable doesn't equate to something being really good, I would very much be surprised hearing that my favorites (which are flawed but fun) are masterpieces, much less the greatest anime of all time.
Mar 28, 12:14 PM

Feb 2014
Detective Conan has quite a few hardcore fanboys that would make such a claim, yeah.
Mar 28, 12:56 PM

May 2021
Yeah I think I'd be surprised if someone said Kakegurui is the greatest anime of all time. However I'd shake their hand and give approval to their opinion lol
Mar 28, 1:15 PM
ε­”ηœŸγƒ»γ‚³γ‚¦γƒžγ‚³γƒˆ

Jun 2017
Oh yeah, for sure :)

Pleasant surprise!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 28, 1:23 PM

Apr 2023
I wouldn't be tbf. Not because the anime is that good, but because "greatest anime of all time" is inherently subjective
Mar 28, 8:51 PM
Oct 2019
No, because JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a popular series, and people will call any anime they like "the greatest of all time"
Mar 28, 10:05 PM

Aug 2016
nope, many people agree on SG being the best or at least one of them. Id more surprised if someone said my favorite manga was one of the best since sometimes BR doesnt get the respect it deserves
:v
Mar 28, 10:15 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to MichaelJackson
nope, many people agree on SG being the best or at least one of them. Id more surprised if someone said my favorite manga was one of the best since sometimes BR doesnt get the respect it deserves
@MichaelJackson Took way too long for a singular person here to have even one favorite anime in common with me. I guess you're the one who'll finally make me give Steins;Gate a watch.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. πŸ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Mar 28, 10:36 PM
Oct 2019
My favorite (if I had to pick one) is “Re:Zero” and I would be happy as hell and probably agree with them XD
Apr 1, 2:43 AM

Jan 2021
a lot of people I meet dn is the only anime they watched lmao
Apr 3, 2:49 PM

Aug 2016
Reply to Daviljoe193
@MichaelJackson Took way too long for a singular person here to have even one favorite anime in common with me. I guess you're the one who'll finally make me give Steins;Gate a watch.
@Daviljoe193 good. make sure to finish some stuff in your watching list first because steins gate deserves a full binge watching. at least the later episodes.

first episode, while great, is a bit disorienting. first half is unapologetic comfy otaku celebration and its closer to something like early Clannad than AnJ. Second half is groundhog day on steroids. enjoy it.
:v
Apr 3, 2:53 PM
PokΓ©mon Master

Apr 2014
Honestly, yes. Most of my favorites are pretty popular except for one, which is an ecchi, and not many people liked it lol.
Apr 3, 3:10 PM

May 2014
I wouldn't be too surprised. Higurashi has quite a lot of fans out there.
Apr 3, 3:41 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Zettaiken
My reaction would be:

Since when were you under the impression that... It wasn't the greatest anime of all time?
@Zettaiken Based. A good reaction would also be saying something like "hey, hold on, so you didn't consider it as peak before...?". πŸ˜‚
✨Saint Seiya Club🌠
Apr 3, 3:56 PM

Dec 2022
Aside from Yosuga no Sora or Shiki, yes. The rest of them aren't particularly well-known.

ο½²δΉ‡εˆ€δΉ‡δΉƒε°ΊοΎ‘δΉ‡
㊎ ㊰
☽ Shaded Horizon ☾

Apr 3, 4:34 PM

Mar 2024
Hmm, no. You seem to be one of those who believes that his show is not for every viewer: I just looked at your tastes and I can tell from that you have a pretty typical western viewer's crappy taste.
γƒ©γƒΌγƒ‘γƒ³ι£Ÿγ„γ«θ‘Œγ“γ†γœο½ž
Apr 3, 4:47 PM

Jan 2010
For me that would depend on the titles. I mean if somebody told me that Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Neon Genesis Evangelion, or etc... then I won't be surprised nor even dispute that with the person. Now if it was a non-mainstream niche underrated anime titles like let say Hi Score Girl, Terror in Resonance, Kimi Ni Todake, or Dirty Pair; and that somebody said any of the lesser well-known anime titles I listed was the greatest, I would be surprised and probably question this person's mental/mentality and have him/her explain on why that lesser well-known anime is the greatest to him.

I would expect that person to explain his/her about why he/she liked this obscure anime and why he/she think is the greatest in a highly intelligent and maybe in a scholarly intellect POV. If the person's intelligent explaining on why this obscure anime is explained at a mature and scholarly level, then I would be impressed and surprised by this person's scholarly take on this obscure anime and why it's his/her favorite over the mainstream titles.
Apr 4, 5:37 AM

Dec 2015
Reply to Adnash
@Zettaiken Based. A good reaction would also be saying something like "hey, hold on, so you didn't consider it as peak before...?". πŸ˜‚
@Adnash It seems like you hadn't notice that it is a Bleach reference which is one of the most known memes too ->

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu) ( 1 2 )

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

51 by MasterTasuke »»
43 seconds ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

11 by Zettaiken »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

23 by mizukasa »»
7 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

42 by KitsuFrost »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 5 hours ago

17 by AMBITZZ »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.