Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 10, 12:32 AM

Nov 2012
I'm thinking Maomao resembles her mother, whoever she was.
Mar 10, 12:33 AM

May 2018
Bishop, Advisor, and Maomao :D
Mar 10, 12:34 AM

Apr 2012
I love how this show represents the most common human psychology and relationships, even while being an anime about a fairly specific society in a certain historical period.
Mar 10, 12:36 AM
Oct 2019
It's great to see Xiaolan again, i missed her so much.

Definitely a setup episode.
Maomao is definitely cooking something.

Next episode is gonna be Lakan and Maomao mother backstory? 😱
Mar 10, 12:51 AM

May 2015
There couldn't be anything showing better how esteemed (and well connected) Maomao is than her getting an audience with the emperor and casually sharing with him the secret of the blue roses in spite of her low rank. Aside from the story this episode made me apprieciate again the effort the creators have put into drawing her beautiful blue eyes and the fine details of the furniture and other background objects.
IshitatesoMar 10, 6:40 AM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Mar 10, 5:15 AM

Nov 2013
Yes. I was certain Lakan didn't see Maomao as mere pawn, this episode confirmed it. It seems we will finally learn more of Lakan in the next episode!
Mar 10, 5:27 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Okay next episode will be better i think, looks promising.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Mar 10, 5:45 AM

May 2015
Who colored my roses in blue ?
Mar 10, 6:33 AM
Dec 2023
it was really great and i dont want to elaborate cause no
Mar 10, 6:39 AM

May 2018
Zefyris said:
had her detective character voiced by

Also participated in several other detective shows like Erased, Ace Attorney, Hyouka, Kubikiri Cycle, Magic Kaito, Persona 4, Persona 5, Rokka no Yuusha, Shiki, even a short role in Detective Conan (where she also plays detective...sort of) and maybe in other anime I don't recognize as detective...so what?

Mar 10, 7:31 AM

Jun 2016
now mao2 face to face with that one eye glasses man ..
Mar 10, 7:35 AM

Apr 2013
Reply to alshu
Zefyris said:
had her detective character voiced by

Also participated in several other detective shows like Erased, Ace Attorney, Hyouka, Kubikiri Cycle, Magic Kaito, Persona 4, Persona 5, Rokka no Yuusha, Shiki, even a short role in Detective Conan (where she also plays detective...sort of) and maybe in other anime I don't recognize as detective...so what?

@alshu she was THE detective AND in episode 9 she dealt with blue rose AND that anime/role was her first stellar performance as a voice actor, while Maomao is a detective AND she deals with blue rose AND she's the most recent stellar performance from this voice actor.
Mar 10, 8:11 AM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
Am I the only one perceive this parallel?
Mar 10, 8:59 AM

May 2018
Zefyris said:
she was THE detective

Well she was detective in Detective Conan too.

Zefyris said:
in episode 9 she dealt with blue rose

Which apparently is a japanese detective trope...for example we have it in the Rosenkreuzer arc in Kidaichi.

Zefyris said:
first stellar performance as a voice actor

I am pretty sure Shiki, Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru came before and her performance was stellar too. Even Madoka★Magica came a day earlier than Gosick.

Zefyris said:
most recent stellar performance

Sure, but nowadays she regularly pops in many anime (for example in the current season of the Urusei Yatsura remake) and regularly pulls great reperformances, like Pascal in NierAutomata or Lucy in Edge Runners (and people were trying to force me to watch it with the english dub, those fools...).

Mar 10, 9:04 AM

Mar 2020
Blue roses are not in season, but Maomao makes the impossible, possible...

It was pretty satisfying seeing Lakan getting knocked down a peg by his only worthy opponent, Maomao. Lakan tried to provoke Jinshi a bit by mentioning the blue roses, but as soon as Maomao heard about this "challenge", her motivation was just to defeat Lakan, and she did so in her usual clever ways, leaving everyone impressed, including myself. It was interesting seeing how Lakan thought of people as tools and pawns at the end as well, with everyone being just a piece on a chess board for him, other than Maomao. Finally, they get to meet in the next episode, it should be a doozy for sure.
Mar 10, 9:09 AM

Jan 2022
I don't really understand what Maomao is planning with Lakan. I was happy to see Xiaolan back again! She's such a cutie <3

All the roses needed was humidity, not sure why she was pumping the greenhouse with steam from the fire. Also, rainwater is excellent for plants so its weird that she didn't want the roses to get a nice soak.

I wonder why Lakan doesn't like the color red. Little does everyone know that Maomao started the manicure trend at the palace lol
This never updates so that's cool
Mar 10, 11:02 AM
Sep 2021
"Manicure" focus & maomao will now execute her plan against Lakan her father.
Mar 10, 11:45 AM

Jul 2016
Maomao with a Maomao-nicure truly is the most powerful game piece in chess

I missed Xiaolan and her bubbliness so much. Her good vibes is definitely welcome after all that went down recently.

Also, as insuffrable as Lakan is, the shot of him casually wiping his fingers with the dude in front of him's hat was hilarious.
Mar 10, 12:39 PM
Sep 2016
Maomao buys Lihua out with p*rns pretty much.... Yeah, that happens....

Next EP: Russian Roulette!
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Mar 10, 12:52 PM
Sep 2016
Reply to kuroneko99
This episode would be another unpopular one next to the one of last week; that's what people call filler. My guess is that the author tried to guide audience to intended path of his/hers:
  • paper issue --> letter
  • redeem issue --> prostitute town and its system
  • letter + prostitute town's system --> Pairin --> MaoMao's irritation for Lakan
  • rose --> manicure --> MaoMao's finger --> confrontation to Lakan
I'm not sure if it's working or not.
@kuroneko99 Well, for those who knows Kusuriya no Hitorigoto from its LN or manga would already know this. Unlike many other anime with clear cut arcs, Kusuriya no Hitorigoto spread its arcs as seamingly unconnected details throughout several EPs.

- 1st arc pretty much is abt Ah-Duo and Lishu's
- 2nd arc is Jinshi's assassination attempt
- 3rd arc (current arc) is abt Lakan and Maomao
- and so on....

These seamingly "fillers" have hidden purposes, even EP21. Pairin is not going to be bought out pretty soon, but a discussion abt a purchase DID happen in the Rokushoukan (Verdigris). And if I'm not mis-remembering, the blue rose does has another meaning as well. You'll see how they relates to each other in these last final EPs (of SE01).

Ppl might still be delluded by Maomao being an apothecary, but this is by no means a medical show. Kusuriya no Hitorigoto is MUCH closer to Sherlock Holmes than to House. Especially since SE02 (if any) would delve further from medicine and much deeper into politics instead.
uncleqrowMar 10, 1:00 PM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Mar 10, 3:11 PM
Aug 2023
im scared for the next one it seems a bit "eh"
Mar 10, 4:09 PM
Jul 2017
what a trash episode, it was jumping all over the place
Mar 10, 8:30 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Shoot. Saving the confrontation for next episode. They know what they're doing. lol I wonder how it'll turn out in the end.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Mar 10, 11:28 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Another great episode. It seems like an easy task at first, but in all actuality growing roses out of season or any flower out of season is a lot more difficult and she managed to do it well kind of. She didn’t get them to actually bloom, but she did get them to grow and that’s quite the feat. Her showdown with Lakan is about to begin
Mar 11, 1:48 AM

Jun 2021
Now this is gonna get a lil more interesting

ıllıllı 𝘚𝘦𝘵 𝘣𝘺 : Cozii ıllıllı | ᑕᗩᖇᗪ ᑕOᒪᒪEᑕTIOᑎ | • • ᗪEᒪIᐯEᖇY • •
Mar 11, 5:14 AM

Jul 2023
It's a rather uneventful episode. It's mainly driven by Lakan's challenge. We get to see how he views people: of them being chess pieces (though the boardgame is Go).

Other than that, we still don't know what they will do to the people who tried to kill Jinshi.

We're back to setting things up. Well, I don't know how much they'll show in the last two episodes.

We'll need a new season.
Mar 11, 5:47 AM

Dec 2018
Feels like things are going to come to a head with Jinshi and with her dad; I know she doesn't know, but I hope she doesn't make a mistake because I still can't tell if he's a good guy or not but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Mar 11, 11:55 AM

Jul 2022
looks like they boutta throw hands
Mar 11, 4:59 PM

Nov 2010
I think that in the manga Maomao participated in the garden party (?) Maybe I'm mixing things up. They're gonna finally show the best part of the series on the next episodes, I hope the anime didn't disappoints lol I used to despise Lakan until I saw his backstory and now I like him.
Mar 12, 6:49 AM

Mar 2020
Can't wait to see Lakan vs Maomao
Mar 13, 3:04 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Blue roses to the emperor!!!
kekeke
Mar 13, 6:59 PM

Oct 2022
Maomao playing 5D chess this episode

Mar 13, 7:00 PM

Jul 2016
Lihua! Man, it's been forever since the last time I heard her voice.
And "baby voice" Xiaolan returns after who knows how many episode too. How nostalgic~

That said, I'm not sure what to think of this episode. Was expecting some Lakan backstory but got an unnecessarily long (and slightly unfocused) buildup episode instead. But well, at least the sequence of Lakan wiping his fingers with the other dude's hat was hilarious.
Mar 13, 10:00 PM
Oct 2018
ik this is a slowburn and im enjoying it so much but gosh i do hope we get some jinshi and maomao action soon thats like more wholesome, altho seeing her waste sleep over these flowers was so endearing. m so proud of her i cant wait to see how she gonna get her revenge
Mar 14, 1:22 AM

Dec 2022
Can't help, but wonder if "Blue Roses" also isn't a reference to Maomao, respectively her eyes.

In Lakan's world view, which is filled with nothing but black and white, suddenly there appears a pair of dark blue eyes, their look sharp and thorny, as a pair of blue roses.
Mar 15, 1:20 PM
Mar 2024
I'm quite curious to know a little more about Lakan's past.
Mar 15, 1:54 PM
May 2014
Despite an overall good episode, the men being so squeamish about a caterpillar just made the highlight for me, lmao
Mar 15, 6:43 PM

Mar 2008
Maomao sure can work pretty hard when she is set to a task. I cant even get my plants to bloom.

The whole time about the blue roses I knew they were going to be dyed. I've dyed flowers myself this way. You can also achieve multi colours by splitting the stem and sticking different portions in different colour water.

Apparently basalm by itself is more of an orange colour and woodsorrel is yellow. I don't see how this would make red or even a pink. I think beeswax is also used in ancient Chinese nail treatments.
traedMar 15, 6:59 PM
Mar 21, 10:28 AM
Mar 2024
i thought it was good episode
Mar 21, 5:44 PM
May 2020
Capitulo hermoso como las rosas
Mar 23, 12:01 AM

Oct 2013
Oh, I know this trick! I used to pain white flowers this way once. It was for fun and I didn't expect anything grand looking, but the whole process ended positively and the final result was marvelous. Great that Maomao succeeded as well. It was also nice to see Xiaolan once again. She's funny and cheerful.

Maomao is going to confront Lakan. I think Lakan got drugged, but I'm not sure. He's weird, so after seeing him casually wiping his fingers with some other official's hat, I can imagine him acting in an awkward manner as just him being himself.
Mar 23, 5:05 PM

Jun 2014
The "greenhouse" worked out! Maomao can pull off anything.

So, Maomao is now facing her biological father, wearing the shade of nail polish that her mother likely wore. What will happen?

Mar 27, 1:06 AM
Mar 2024
I've loved the entire series. Coming off of Freiren, it was difficult to find something that didn't suffer terribly for the comparison. This series, however, is visually stunning; and the exquisite historical details are a treat. While each episode usually contain some mystery for our apothacary to solve; there is an undercurrent of the broader mystery of who these characters actually are. Because clearly, one of them is pretending to be someone they are not, and one of them may have no idea who they are, at all.
Mar 28, 1:54 AM

Oct 2017
Certainly didn't expect an episode on cultivating rose and then coloring it but was fine. We are finally getting Lakan's story it seem with the stage set by Maomao with the colored nails. So Lakan sees everyone as just go pieces, interesting. Btw Gyokuyou's daughter is so adorable, don't teach her weird things Maomao.
Mar 28, 4:34 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I feel dumb I didn't think that you could simply just dye the rose in different colors. Lakan's vision at the end when he saw Maomao, damn.
Mar 30, 11:46 PM

Jun 2020
I liked seeing Maomao handle another task that wasn’t a mystery but just a simple request. I also liked that it was realistic that the flowers didn’t fully bloom. Man, she did get super tired throughout the whole process though. I hope her friend can get promoted to a gardener or something.

I wonder what she has done to confront Lakan

Lucky you, lucky you
must be nice to have everyone love you

"No, I've always been alone."
Apr 10, 7:16 AM

Jul 2013
That's Maomao' reward for saving Jinshi's life, fucking working herself to death making artificially colored flowers that are out of season. I mean she wanted to take on that job for personal reasons but still
Apr 14, 11:17 PM

Feb 2019
lakan is irksome indeed, but maomao will school him like he's never been schooled before lol
May 23, 6:07 AM
Feb 2021
fantastic, love it
May 24, 12:23 PM
Jul 2020
that old man cannot go with whatever he wants >:)
loved mao mao's intelligence
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Nov 11, 2023

168 by phantom346 »»
Sep 15, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24

118 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

254 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 3:22 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 10

136 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 3

110 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.