Everything 8+ on my list I would strongly recommend. Anything 9.2+ on my list I would say is a must watch.
SPRING 2023 CURRENTLY WATCHING (PROJECTED SCORES THROUGH WEEK 8):
Scores will be updated after I watch each weekly episode, and every Friday, all the anime series will be updated "through week ___". Preliminary scoring will be given to each series I watch starting the first week. An updated chart will be posted every Friday.
1. Tengoku Daimakyo (“Innocent Arrogance” by BiSH)
2. Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers (“Magical Destroyers” by Aimi)
3. Oshi no Ko (“Idol” by YOASOBI)
4. Skip to Loafer (“Mellow” by Keina Suda)
5. Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 (“Dear” by JUNNA)
6. Tonikaku Kawaii 2nd Season (“Setsuna no Chikai” by Neko Hacker ft. Akari Kitou)
7. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo Season 2 (“Slash” by Yama)
8. Jigokuraku (“Ｗ●ＲＫ" by millennium parade and Sheena Ringo)
9. Vinland Saga Season 2 (“Paradox” by Survive Said The Prophet)
10. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! (“STAY FREE” by Machico)
Ao no Orchestra (“Cantabile” by Novelbright)
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Katanakaji no Sato-hen (“Kizuna no Kiseki” by Man With A Mission & Milet)
Edomae Elf (“Kien Romance” by Akari Nanawo)
Yuusha ga Shinda! (“Shinda!” by Masayoshi Ooishi)
Isekai de Cheat Skill wo Te ni Shita Ore wa, Genjitsu Sekai wo mo Musou Suru: Level Up wa Jinsei wo Kaeta (“Gyakuten Geki” by Tsukuyomi)
Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu (“Shayou” by Yorushika)
Jijou wo Shiranai Tenkousei ga Guigui Kuru. (“Alcor to Polaris” by Reina Kondou)
Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (“Itsu Aetara” by Aiko)
This list will be updated as the openings continue to come out, and will be finalized early next month.
1. Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers (“Gospelion in a Classic Love” by The 13th Tailor)
2. Jijou wo Shiranai Tenkousei ga Guigui Kuru. (“Kokorone” by Kitri)
3. Oshi no Ko (“Mephisto” by Ziyouu-vachi)
4. Dr. Stone: New World (“Where Do We Go” by OKAMOTO’S)
5. Skip to Loafer (“Hanauta to Mawarimichi” by Rikako Aida)
6. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! (“JUMP IN” by Rie Takahashi, Aki Toyosaki)
7. Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 (“Mubansou” by edda)
8. Jigokuraku (“Kamihitoe” by Uru)
9. Vinland Saga Season 2 ED 2 (“Ember” by haju:harmonics)
10. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo Season 2 (“Red:birthmark” by Aina the End)
Tengoku Daimakyou ("Dare mo Kare mo Doko mo Nani mo Shiranai” by ASOBI Doumei)
This list will be updated as the endings continue to come out, and will be finalized early next month.
Summer 2022 Wrap Up:
Mean Score: 6.32
Anime of the season: Made In Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou
Runner Up: Yofukashi no Uta
HOW I RATE AN ANIME:
MY 5 CRITERIA:
- Artistic and Musical competence
- Thought Provoking (Good character development/plot)
- Portrayal of genres
THINGS I DESPISE:
- Forced Romance (with no reason behind it)
- Drawn out storytelling
- Poor character development
- Very noticeable plotholes
- Side stories (OVAs/Specials) that detract from the main story
The most important question to ask when rating a show is: "How well did the anime convey the message it wanted to convey?"
For sequels, I will usually judge it a bit harsher. The show had to have built upon the previous season. If it's similar and just operates on nostalgia or is just the same show with different events, the sequel WILL get a lower score.
For MAL reviews, 8-10 is "recommended", 7 is either "recommended" or "mixed feelings" depending on if it's a low or high 7, 5-6 is "mixed feelings", 1-4 is "not recommended".
9.5-10: Masterpiece: A show that changed my way of thinking, made me learn something important, was extremely funny, or left a mark in my soul. The writing is near perfect, there were little to no plotholes, it was unique, and changes my life, even a little bit. These shows kept me thinking about them for weeks, months, even years, and resonated with me, whether if it was the plot, the characters I've thought of as real people, or such a life lesson I can’t look past. Personally, shows will likely not get a 9.5-10/10 unless they elicit an emotional reaction from me, whether it’s laughter or tears.
Chekhov's gun is the underlying principle of a masterpiece. Every character, dialogue, or action should have some overall effect on the narrative.
9-9.4: Excellent: A show that was virtually perfect, but didn't have that extremely memorable moment or didactic moment that made me think about it a lot afterwards. "A masterpiece with less didacticism"
8.5-8.9: Really good: A solid show that did well in most aspects except for one category (usually story or characters). I definitely still fully enjoyed the show but I might not have been 100% engaged all the way through.
7.5-8.4: Good: There are some slight flaws that don't hinder the narrative much, but I still enjoyed it. Definitely was not engaged all the way through, but the good parts still heavily outweigh the bad parts. A good chunk of shows I watch will fall in this category, as they are solid shows, but just don't have the masterful touch that shows above it got.
7: Fine: There are definitely flaws in shows in this category, but they were still enjoyable. Some parts might have been generic or frustrating to watch, but good parts still generally outweigh the bad. Not much rewatch value in this category or lower.
6: Mediocre: Likely generic or a guilty pleasure potentially. Not inherently bad, but there are many flaws in the story or characters that should be talked about. I would not recommend anything that is in this category or lower.
5: Subjectively Bad: Definitely generic and uninteresting at times. I personally don't like shows in this category as they're usually just poorly written, but there are some good points in it.
4: Bad: Plot points are almost all uninteresting and although there may be one or two good episodes, the bad outweighs the good, and I'm likely not engaged.
3: Really bad: I can still watch shows that are a 3, but there is nothing good in these shows. Can be a guilty pleasure that you just binge but don't enjoy, or a show that really fell off.
2: Just don’t watch it: It's getting to the point where you are literally yelling at the screen because nothing is executed well at all. Disrespectful to the medium, and completely poorly written.
1: Criminal: Insulting, disrespectful, pains you to the core. If a show is a 1, it has likely been dropped, and I don't drop shows unless it's this bad.
1. Liz To Aoi Tori: 10.0
2. Mawaru Penguindrum: 9.77
3. Monogatari Series: Second Season: 9.75
4. 3-Gatsu No Lion 2nd Season: 9.70
5. Death Parade: 9.67
6. Bocchi the Rock!: 9.66
7. Made In Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou: 9.66
8. Odd Taxi: 9.66
9. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2: 9.62
10. Mob Psycho 100 II: 9.61
11. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra Romantic: 9.58
12. Made In Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul: 9.49
13. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season: 9.46
14. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu: 9.45
15. 3-Gatsu No Lion 1st Season: 9.44
16. Seishun Buta Yarou wa Yumemiru Shoujo no Yume wo Minai: 9.44
17. Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2: 9.41
18. Made In Abyss: 9.38
19. Sora Yori Mo Tooi Basho: 9.37
20. Kaguya-Sama Love Is War 2nd Season: 9.34
21. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: 9.31
22. Clannad After Story: 9.29
23. Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu: 9.28
24. Attack On Titan Season 3 Part 2: 9.28
25. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 2nd Season: 9.25
All Comments (88) Comments