Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 5, 2019 5:54 AM

Jul 2013
I thought after showing Canute's face in the previous episode, they will reveal this time that he's actually a she. But turns out he's just an Inosuke. This is becoming a trend. Also for some reason after seeing that commander's face, just his face, I knew he's Roman. I mean it was just so obvious.
Nov 18, 2019 2:52 AM

Dec 2012
So Askeladd gonna betray his men.

Nov 23, 2019 10:22 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I don't know what I was expecting from the price, maybe he's super smart? Probably he IS capable of battle but just doesn't show it?
Nov 24, 2019 4:59 PM

Mar 2012
PrimeX said:
I thought after showing Canute's face in the previous episode, they will reveal this time that he's actually a she. But turns out he's just an Inosuke. This is becoming a trend.
This line confuses me greatly. How is this becoming a trend when the manga chapter this was adapted from was released in July 2006. It's true that even back then he was giving people a lot of "Griffith vibes" bu this isn't some new trend happening this year. Pretty face hidden behind a mask is a long running trope.
Nov 25, 2019 2:58 AM

Jul 2013
MetaKite said:
PrimeX said:
I thought after showing Canute's face in the previous episode, they will reveal this time that he's actually a she. But turns out he's just an Inosuke. This is becoming a trend.
This line confuses me greatly. How is this becoming a trend when the manga chapter this was adapted from was released in July 2006. It's true that even back then he was giving people a lot of "Griffith vibes" bu this isn't some new trend happening this year. Pretty face hidden behind a mask is a long running trope.
Sure bro. How was I supposed to know which chapter much less the date it was released lol r/iamverysmart besides all that's important is that two people from two very famous anime released in the same year share the same trope therefore I got the idea that it was becoming a trend. Also, Berserk aired in the 90s,seems like a long jump no? Lastly I never said it was never done before simply that it's becoming more popular nowadays, you can give more examples of characters of this trope from anime that aired in between Berserk and this year, and still it won't disprove my point.
Nov 25, 2019 5:54 PM

Mar 2012
PrimeX said:
MetaKite said:
Sure bro. How was I supposed to know which chapter much less the date it was released lol r/iamverysmart besides all that's important is that two people from two very famous anime released in the same year share the same trope therefore I got the idea that it was becoming a trend. Also, Berserk aired in the 90s,seems like a long jump no? Lastly I never said it was never done before simply that it's becoming more popular nowadays, you can give more examples of characters of this trope from anime that aired in between Berserk and this year, and still it won't disprove my point.
It's not "becoming" a trend just because you just noticed it when it's been going on for a long time. That's what I'm trying to get you to understand. Not disprove anything. You're just really late, "bro".
Nov 26, 2019 4:41 PM

Jul 2013
MetaKite said:
PrimeX said:
It's not "becoming" a trend just because you just noticed it when it's been going on for a long time. That's what I'm trying to get you to understand. Not disprove anything. You're just really late, "bro".
And what's the point? So what if I think this is something that's just becoming popular? What do you get out of it? Besides sure it has happened before, still does not make it a trend. Also don't quote me again here bro stop wasting my time, you quoted me first trying to act smartass over something I said that's subjective.
Dec 1, 2019 10:04 AM

Mar 2012
PrimeX said:
MetaKite said:
And what's the point? So what if I think this is something that's just becoming popular? What do you get out of it? Besides sure it has happened before, still does not make it a trend. Also don't quote me again here bro stop wasting my time, you quoted me first trying to act smartass over something I said that's subjective.
LOL It's not "subjective". It's a plain fact that it's not something trending when it's been going on for a long time. Were you even alive in 1989 when Berserk manga premiered? I'm going to guess you weren't even around in 1999. Again, just because you just noticed a trope, does not mean it's trending. Damned idiot. If you don't want people responding to you with smartass comments then maybe you shouldn't post stupid shit like it's some informed revelation.
Dec 15, 2019 11:15 AM

Dec 2016
man bjorn and askeladd seemed like proud parents when they 'introduced' thorfinn to canute. shame thorfinn's still feral.

some nice soundtrack pieces this ep too, looking forward to the whole soundtrack being realised soon.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Dec 20, 2019 5:42 PM

Aug 2017
u know when a show is good when even the side characters are likeable. I loved the discussion where the priest talks about the importance of love.

Hey, I remember Leif from ep 1-4, he's now a old man hahaha.

5/5

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 11, 2020 2:57 AM

Mar 2015
All this history is making me delightfully curious, great show
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 18, 2020 8:55 PM

Nov 2012
Halfway through! Been good so far, wasn't sure about the OP at first but definitely really grown on me.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Feb 19, 2020 2:34 AM
Hello World!:))

Oct 2015
Poor Leif, so many years under such a drama in his head.
"I'll be done soon. If you wait nicely, I'll buy you some sweetbread." said Lawrence.

- I'll thank you not to treat me like a child.

"Oh, you don't want any?"

- I do.

Mar 10, 2020 11:26 AM

Apr 2016
Canute's voice! I mean, it should've been obvious just from viewing the VAs for this anime, but it didn't even cross my mind to check up on who voices him.

I'm starting to grow more fond of Askeladd. I initially thought he was some sort of anti-hero, and in the beginning, a vile antagonist, but my opinion of him is changing as I feel like he's been gradually showing hints of character progression.

Mar 10, 2020 12:06 PM

Mar 2019
Wait,the building was actually awesome.I mean,Elrik shouldn't have changed so much.Thors looked the same everytime.But I hope nothing happens to Askeladd!Onto the next part.This is going to be interesting!
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 29, 2020 3:12 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Very interesting conversation between the Danes and the Christian priest. Though when the Dane said "what is love?" I couldnt help but think of that song :P
May 7, 2020 1:09 PM

May 2016
This was a fairly relaxing transition episode full of marching, chatting, and worldbuilding. I was actually pretty keen on knowing more about the members of Askeladd's unit in addition to his plans to install Canute as King. That conversation centering on the priest's desire to find love and how the Vikings reacted to such a foreign concept was very interesting, that's for sure.

I wonder why they decided to attack them.

Jun 1, 2020 12:31 AM
Dec 2019
I wondered how they were going to escape from Thorkell, that was an interesting turn of events. I really liked how they are introducing new places/countries, which have their own issues rather than just the Danes invading.

I wasn't sure if Thorfinn was going to get a flashback at the end from how his father dies from the arrows. But that might just be that he's used to it by now?
Jun 2, 2020 5:07 PM
Sep 2018
A pretty good episode
Jun 4, 2020 3:05 AM

Jan 2020
Ok, that last 3 minutes was just pure awesomeness...
Love how this show picked up from the kinda boring start. This is gonna be interesting
Jul 5, 2020 12:06 PM

Mar 2010
Surrounded By arrows once again. Ironic how this keeps happening to thorfin in every level of his life.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 30, 2020 4:58 AM

Dec 2015
3/5

How could you...
Aug 17, 2020 2:39 PM

Feb 2013
The prince has to be a princess, I see no reason for not talking if that wasn't true.
Oct 3, 2020 8:07 PM
Oct 2019
Not my favorite episode but it set the stage for the NEXT episode. Welsh on Welsh on Dane (on Dane?).

Oh, and Leif seeing a young boy that looked like Thorfinn... Ouch.
Nov 3, 2020 8:36 AM
Jun 2020
The prince gives me some Griffith vibes from his looks.
Dec 29, 2020 8:31 AM

Jul 2015
Feeling bad for Leif searching all these years for Thorfinn of who he doesn't even know is alive or not, really hope those two unite at some point. Since Canute has spoken, no doubt he is a boy now. Interesting to see Roman influence in those Welsh kingdoms and also the priest trying to explain the concept of love to those muscle-heads pirates.

Jun 23, 2021 8:01 AM

Jun 2020
This is a long journey that they've been going through for a couple of days

Well you know what they always say "never judge a book by its cover" Canute looked like a girl but it turns out he really is a prince maybe it's those eyes that I've been deceived from assuming he's an actual guy well guess I was wrong last episode's discussion

The priest I guess mentioned love I thought it was beer and the men would have to fight a big one against this ambush from the Welsh.
Jul 16, 2021 1:22 AM

Jan 2021
I almost didn’t recognize the guy who said he was going to find Thorfinn know matter what
Jul 16, 2021 1:23 AM

Jan 2021
I almost didn’t recognize the guy who said he was going to find Thorfinn know matter what
Aug 3, 2021 8:20 AM

Apr 2013
And thus ends the first half. Our protagonists are a thug with no honor, a kid who's dumb as a brick and a shy prince who looks like a girl. Thorkell is the only bright spot in this cast since Ylva stopped appearing.
Sep 25, 2021 4:33 AM

Mar 2016
Askeladd always has something up his sleeve, and here he is again surprising even his own crew of a way to escape Throkell's pursuit by sailing across into Wales! The man is brilliant, nuff said! Though it's up to Canute to declare the promise the Welsh wanted to hear.

It's hilarious that the men have to march for days on end only to now be met with having to trek and scale the mountain range, they better get some gains on those calves lmao. I like seeing them just chat to each other, it gives off a pleasant brotherly atmosphere, especially when one of them encourage the priest to teach them the concept of 'love' something so familiar yet unidentifiable to these men.

This is one of my favourite sequences I've ever seen in this entire show so far! When the arrow rain began, the scenes changed from that to Throkell and his leaf, to the Danish King and his numerous knights kneeling before him, to the bald-Leif who mistook a girl for enslaved Thorfinn and then back to the arrows. That transition along with the OST is bone-chilling. It shows much of the state of various sides all at once in less than a minute. It's a sign of the war that's about to unfold, I can forsee it, these past eps have been various petty battles happening on top of each other, but the REAL WAR is about to commence!

What a sorry state Leif is in though, who knows whether he lost his hair naturally or because of his grief and regret for not being able to bring Thorfinn back home even a decade later...
Oct 5, 2021 5:47 AM

Mar 2021
lol i didn't thought the prince will have a personality like that

and askeladd got trapped, going to be intense ig
Nov 15, 2021 9:40 AM
Nov 2020
The soundtrack when the welsh arrive gave me goosebumps
Nov 18, 2021 6:16 AM

Jul 2016
this episode just proved how much i yearn to see thorfinn in a first person pov all the time. when thorfinn is the center of the main action, my eyes are drawn to the screen and my attention zones in. his style of killing is ruthless and small stature makes for a tiny murderer.
Jan 6, 2022 4:45 PM

Dec 2007
this series just knows how to build tense.

need more thorfin scenes though, this is feels more and more askeludd show.
Mar 12, 2022 5:17 AM

Jun 2019
Oh boy... an ambush outta nowhere. What is gonna happen now? I hope they escape this situation without any major losses. At least, that's what I hope.
Apr 26, 2022 5:06 AM

May 2021
I watched an entire episode of marching without getting bored. Sasuga WIT and VS.

The OST that played near the interval, Intertwined, was godly.

Jun 2, 2022 10:11 AM
Jul 2016
Okay I was worried about the quality possibly dipping off after that dreadfully mediocre episode 7. Thankfully, the show has been on an upward trajectory since then. This episode was probably just decent but the tense atmosphere really saved it for me. I could feel the harshness of the cold rain through my television. While this wasn’t a standout episode by any other means than the atmosphere, I loved it! I’d rather see 24 episode 12s than 24 episode 7s.

That shot near the end of the episode of the brittle and decrepit Danish King felt haunting. I can’t wait to learn of his motives for sending his son out into the wild of the war. I have a feeling it was more than simply wanting his son to harden up. I’m excited for the rest of the season!
Sep 5, 2022 5:45 AM
Oct 2021
great environment in anime
Oct 12, 2022 7:02 AM
Apr 2018
That ending montage was absolutely insane, brilliant use of OST 🤩🔥
Oct 12, 2022 2:49 PM

Sep 2020
Kek what was the whole love discussion about? Does the creator think that people in the past didn't have feelings? That non-Christians were just soulless shells of people?
Nov 16, 2022 3:41 PM

Jul 2017
Past bunch of episodes admittedly have been a real drag to watch. Now there's some decent world building here and some conversations from time to time can be interesting (did like the casual discussion about the concept of 'love' outweighing everything thematically here, but the series can still feel really dry and a slog at times to watch and the last few episodes in particular have had me feeling that way for sure. At least the last few minutes of this episode were better, to hype up what's to come with this next battle here. In a way, for these kind of episodes, it's good that Thorfinn's just in the background since his point of view and mindset is too narrow for him to really be taking all of what's happening in. Plus, it's good to see Leif again at the end there, he's living up to his word for the time being in looking for Thorfinn no matter what, even if it's nowhere near that easy and the lack of progress can be frustrating. Music was good this episode, visuals have been lackluster besides the backgrounds for the past few episodes so hopefully that can step up with the next few episodes.
Dec 16, 2022 11:45 PM

Dec 2022
My favorite part of this episode was definitely Askeladd and how he talked about Canute. It really feels like Thors had huge impact on him and maybe gave him hope that there is some good in the world. This whole episode made me feel like Askeladd is more of a main character than Thorfinn and I loved it.

Dec 22, 2022 10:39 AM

Nov 2020
The Ear is very useful. The battle begins next episode!
Jan 21, 2023 8:42 AM
Jan 2023
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
Feb 4, 2023 7:00 AM
Nov 2022
the ending of the ep was really epic
Feb 17, 2023 9:22 PM

Sep 2015
Ahhh goddamn i'm still here, I hope the next episode gets them somewhere...
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Mar 12, 2023 5:09 AM
Mar 2023
Poderia ser melhor
Apr 14, 2023 1:06 PM
Aug 2018
Buildup episode. Really strong imagery and tension building. Things take a dark and scary turn, yet, Thorfinn only seems annoyed rather than concerned.
May 31, 2023 11:14 PM

Oct 2013
where's my chamber full of female slaves at :(

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

26 by johanossa »»
Jun 20, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

394 by carica1997 »»
Jun 18, 9:43 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2019

255 by carica1997 »»
Jun 18, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

409 by carica1997 »»
Jun 18, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

168 by carica1997 »»
Jun 18, 5:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.