Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 11, 2016 7:45 AM
Aug 2014
shanimebib said:
dm106 said:
Oh boy, the ratings of this fantastic anime will drop like hell thanks to those who bought the bait... Well is Kyoani's fault.

If you are talking about MAL ratings then most likely 'yes'. Which would be a shame. And it will be KyoAni's fault for the MAL ratings. However, Musaigen's rating in MAL was actually way better than its TV ratings in Japan. It didn't help KyoAni. Likewise, MAL's low rating won't influence neither the TV ratings in Japan (which seems to be pretty good according to docomo, kadokawa and anikore) nor the disc sales; I am anticipating something around 7.5K+ per volume at least in opposed to 8.3K+ per volume for S1 which would be an excellent return in current weak market.

I totally agree. MAL ratings means nothing. What I was implying was that Hibike's fanbase in this community will suffer because of the way Kyonani adapted the source material. No doubt is doing good in Japan.
Nov 11, 2016 7:47 AM

Jul 2015
I just love this show when everyone get development (except our male lead, Shuichi).
First half of this episode is kinda normal. School's festival, with some member of concert band show up. Kumiko reaction with Asuka's teasing is kinda gold. It's really funny there. Then, the haunted house from Reina class. Shuichi and Kumiko met there and although there would be a sweet moment between the two, Reina came and got her "waifu" again XD.

The second half is really good. We can see Kumiko's sister that want to drop out of university. I don't know why but I think she is bullied there? (Got bullied in University?? Are u serious man?). Then Kumiko told her sister that her sister is contradicting with what she said to Kumiko before. I kinda love Kumiko decision to escape from that gloomy mood. Obviously, she didn't want to get into that unpleasant mood (actually, I will go out too if the mood around me is unpleasant).

After that, she met Taki-sensei and we get his backstory too. Taki-sensei is really a good man that really loves his wife with all his heart and that flower symbolism proves that he is a faithful man. I feel sorry for you, Reina. And then that cliffhanger coming. I know it's the best time for Asuka-senpai, the most beautiful member with the most mysteries to get some development here. Asuka's drama is coming and of course, as always Kumiko will be observant for this drama like what she had done before.

Btw this eps get 5/5 from me because of the nice buildup for Asuka's arc
WhyZigleNov 11, 2016 8:02 AM
Nov 11, 2016 9:12 AM

Nov 2007
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Which reminds me the age gap : 19 years. So Taki sensei could have been technically the father of Kumiko even though the florist said he seems too young. Politeness I suppose.

Florist: Your daughter?

That was a subtle reminder of the society's view on situations involving age gap. This also come as pricking to many because of how young Kumiko (and in the overall picture, Reina) is. Like I said in one of my previous posts in a different episode discussion thread — add 7 or 8 years to their age (that would make them 42 and 23) and it doesn't look that glaring anymore because by that time, both of them are complete adults. And as more time passes, it becomes less and less of an issue despite being at the mercy in society's eyes. In the end, it should be the matter of the people involved and not anyone else. But then Taki-sensei's response.

Taki-sensei: My student.

You might have missed the other issue, which is albeit a much bigger issue in the eye's of the society. With just two consecutive sentences Reina's obstacles had been well defined. But that again won't remain an issue in the eyes of the society once she graduates and no longer his student.

Yet the biggest and almost unassailable obstacle Reina has to overcome is Taki-sensei's deceased wife and the place his wife holds in his heart. And the saddest part of all these is the fact that Reina is not even aware of her biggest obstacle. Which is also hurting for Kumiko as she took a glimpse on the person so precious to her. Kumiko's face as she looked at Reina was one of the most well thought-out expressions I have come across in anime. She didn't let her sadness show in her face because she wouldn't want Reina to find out.

Someone also mentioned in a post that whether we would get to know the personality of Taki-sensei's deceased wife, whether she was a cheerful or a more serious type. Well, you don't have to ask that since KyoAni covered that in a single frame in the final episode of season 1 as Taki-sensei caressed a certain someone's face in a photo attached to the last page of his conducting instruction's sheet. They say a single picture can say more than a thousand words. This anime needs closer attention than we think it does.

Takeda's writing aside, KyoAni has been at their very best in season 2. This was on par with some of the best things I have seen from Kyoto Animation. Queue in HTT's plans for next year after that concert or Yuuko's "Nano is Nano!", or Tamako dropping her mochi-shaped stone in the water, or Kyon's monologues on the rooftop standing in front of Nagato or, Tomoya's father telling him "I wonder if I have finished things already" or, many other moments that KyoAni has produced masterfully in the last decade or so. This season, Hibike! Euphonium seems to have finally stepped up and showing off its pedigree to be considered as one of KyoAni's finest works. Up until now, this has undoubtedly been their finest TV series since Nichijou, their best in the past 5 years.

Oops! I flipped my KyoAni switch to On for a moment there.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 11, 2016 10:47 AM

Jun 2013
Very pretty and peaceful episode, I am intrigued by the ending of the episode as well!
Nov 11, 2016 11:36 AM

Mar 2011
First half was pretty fun, I can't believe she ate all of that...
I would really like to see more screentime for Shuichi, I liked the few times in second half of season 1 in which we got to see more of him.
I hope he get to see more of Kumiko's sister, S1 left me with questions about their relationship. It's either Kumiko's sister got pregnant, or she f*cked up with her scores at college. Or even both.
And now we'll get to know more about Asuka, finally, what I was waiting for.
Nov 11, 2016 12:05 PM

Apr 2016
shanimebib said:

Oops! I flipped my KyoAni switch to On for a moment there.

I noticed that you're pretty enthusiastic about this anime ;)
I am too, even though I didn't like everything from Kyoani.

Regarding the age gap between Reina and her crush, it's true that 30 - 50 is less shocking that 15 - 35 for a couple. About taki sensei feelings, if I may be a bit cynical, a deceased wife is less an obstacle than a living beloved wife and at one point people move on, not that I particularly ship Reina-Taki sensei, I just wish at one point she finds happiness with whomever it may be.
Ysad_ZiwezhanNov 11, 2016 12:32 PM
Nov 11, 2016 1:17 PM

Jul 2016
I just want some freaking Reina And Kumiko ships going on here lmao
Nov 11, 2016 9:12 PM

Mar 2008
Reina X Kumiko forever. But seriously even if that isn't a ship meant to sail it really makes no sense from the narrative perspective at this point for Kumiko to go with Shuichi beyond the simple fact they're childhood friends. Their scenes never seem to carry any weight, there's been zero indication Kumiko's feelings are mutual and they haven't shared much screentime together.

It really reminds me of Angelic Layer

From a writing standpoint it's better KyoAni abandons the novel's connection and writes its own for the sake of this adaptation.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Nov 12, 2016 12:14 AM

Mar 2009
No idea why people think Kumiko's sister is pregnant. Was there ever anything hinting at that?

Natsuki looked gorgeous in her maid outfit. Also, was that Asuka's mother at the end?
Nov 12, 2016 12:18 AM

Nov 2007
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
I noticed that you're pretty enthusiastic about this anime ;)

Tell me about it! I have waited for years since I got something this good from Kyoto Animation, my favourite studio. I didn't get to see more of Nichijou or Hyouka (the latter lacked source material's progression so it's understandable). Left disappointed with Chuunibyou Ren which paled in comparison to the first season. They stopped just before the source material got to the better parts in Amaburi. Even in their original story, I wanted to forget the torture named 'Dera' in Tamako Market. The entire Musaigen Madness making them a laughing stock (completely throwing out the source material, which was pretty solid, in a basket and pulling off the worst original story ever), and pretty good but nothing really spectacular shows like Free! and Kyoukai no Kanata to fill in the voids.

Tamako Love Story, a direct sequel of and with a tremendous improvement from Tamako Market, was really the only shining light in my growing list of disappointments over the past five years.

The movie got its due recognition in the 18th Japan Media Arts Festival (which gives awards to Live Action, International Featured Films, International Animation Featured Films, TV Drama and other mediums of entertainment).

The Jury said:
This movie (Tamako Love Story) can be described as having reached the highest point of contemporary Japanese animation. Seen from global perspective, Japanese animation has a unique development; indeed, the perspective of finding fresh emotions in casual daily life is its uniqueness. If we watch this movie's images attentively, we find sharp sensibility, craftsmanship as animator, and calculations as director, backed by a strong will. The jury is convinced that the genre 'Japanimation' is exactly represented by this work (and thus it has been granted this award).

As far as TV series go, I have really high hope that KyoAni will be able to get this right for the first time in a long, long while with Hibike! Euphonium. Their VN adaptations aside, this will be their first adaptation that has its original source material being concluded. At this point of time, even though they have closely followed the original source material compared to the previous season, I don't care whether they stick with it or not until the end. All I want to see is something rounded up properly like they did with Tamako Love Story (the only 10/10 anime in my book from KyoAni since Nichijou).

I still haven't seen Koe no Katachi. I loved the manga and comments from renowned figures like Makoto Shinkai make me all the more excited!

Makoto Shinkai said:
I watched the pre-screening for "Koe no Katachi". It's a fantastic piece of work. Handled with such earnestness and care, the work successfully depicted a beautiful range of art, colors, and emotions. It was a polished and grand production, that, no matter how much you wanted to replicate, simply can't. Although everyone in the cast was wonderful, personally I was awestruck with Irino Miyu's (Shouya's) acting. It was amazing.

I am also eagerly waiting for Violet Evergarden and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, the latter contains definite shoujo-ai, which would be Kyoto Animation's first!

Oh! My God! There I went with it again! Okay, I have calmed down now. I have calmed down now.
Coronavirus.
Nov 12, 2016 12:35 AM

Mar 2014
Mormegil said:
No idea why people think Kumiko's sister is pregnant. Was there ever anything hinting at that?

The way she's touching her stomach throughout her scenes in this episode.
Nov 12, 2016 2:07 AM

Dec 2012
This festival episode was excellent! KyoAni is so talented to make "SoL" episodes. The first part was full of joy and very fun to watch, when the second part focused on Taki-sensei, which was very good too.
Reina <3
Nov 12, 2016 3:21 AM

Oct 2009
I can't wait for the OSTs to come out
Nov 12, 2016 3:24 AM

Apr 2016
shanimebib said:

As far as TV series go, I have really high hope that KyoAni will be able to get this right for the first time in a long, long while with Hibike! Euphonium.

Oh! My God! There I went with it again! Okay, I have calmed down now. I have calmed down now.

Are you sure? :)

In my eyes too they saved their crumbling reputation with Hibike, and I tell you that was no sure thing for me with a brass band story as premise. I'll wait the end of the saison to tell for sure though (well season 1 was great no matter what) and of course it's just my opinion and taste, this show is not for everybody either, so it's not the absolute and consensual proof that Kyoani is back.
Nov 12, 2016 9:17 AM

Jul 2016
Funny first part and very deep last part. I like this episode, now I'm curious about Taki Sensei past... and how Reina would react if she knew it... and Kumiko's sister. what happened to her? There must be a big reason for her to quit a college.
Nov 12, 2016 1:06 PM

Jul 2016
I think @ some point the team there will get pissed and have to make Reina And Kumiko a thing, if we keep nagging them.
Nov 12, 2016 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
Lmao I smell a real shitstorm when they adapt vol 3 ending. Not nisekoi level but still. And I really feel bad for shuichi, he has his small moments but always get overshadowed.
Nov 12, 2016 5:25 PM

Feb 2015
This episode was all about animating life, as well as being a bridge between the regionals and what looks like will be Asuka's long-awaited arc. KyoAni are impressing me so much with how they are presenting this second season (of course first season was brilliant as well), the attention to detail and how they are able to make Kumiko so real and believable, a truly brilliant character. I couldn't help but smile the whole episode, even if not a lot happened. Really stunning.

Only criticism is that they are still trying for Shuichi x Kumiko, which doesn't feel natural or at all exciting because Shuichi doesn't get much screen time at all and they just haven't developed him or his relationshp with Kumiko at all this season. Either they need to focus on making their feelings believable or drop their relationship altogether. Ultimately a part of me really wants Kumiko x Reina but that's doubtful, they are probably just incredibly good friends (the time they spend together really is magic).
Oreomonogatari72Nov 12, 2016 5:32 PM
Nov 13, 2016 1:34 PM

Aug 2015
Luke72 said:
This episode was all about animating life, as well as being a bridge between the regionals and what looks like will be Asuka's long-awaited arc. KyoAni are impressing me so much with how they are presenting this second season (of course first season was brilliant as well), the attention to detail and how they are able to make Kumiko so real and believable, a truly brilliant character. I couldn't help but smile the whole episode, even if not a lot happened. Really stunning.

Only criticism is that they are still trying for Shuichi x Kumiko, which doesn't feel natural or at all exciting because Shuichi doesn't get much screen time at all and they just haven't developed him or his relationshp with Kumiko at all this season. Either they need to focus on making their feelings believable or drop their relationship altogether. Ultimately a part of me really wants Kumiko x Reina but that's doubtful, they are probably just incredibly good friends (the time they spend together really is magic).

No, the relationship Kumiko x Reina can't be possible. Reina is in love with Taki-sensei.
In addition volume 2 is completely adapted and in volume 3, there is more romance so don't worry, the relationships between the characters will be developped. ^^
Nov 14, 2016 12:07 AM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
The thing is Kyoani really emphasized that Kumiko ignored him in the first season on purpose, for a good reason. It doesn't mean she always thought that way toward him. After all, back then, what brought the "cold" happens when she asked him if he wanted to go home, if I well remember.

As for Reina questions : she and others like Azuki obviously noticed Shuuichi's crush. So maybe they wonder if there weren't anything even a little bit reciprocate.

Then again, what happened in this episode 6? Nothing. They met accidentaly, he still has a crush on her, she happened to depend on him for no other "apparent" reason than being scared in the dark. Nothing more. Now If we get a love confession or a Kumiko sudden change of heart after that on episode 7, I will think exactly like you : "that's shit". But there are still 6 episodes to go, that's something like a 2 hour movie, that's a lot of time and space for a slow and believable development ... or not. I mean, for me the show so far had almost no romance (nothing mutual between kumiko and shuuichi and surely nothing romantical between Kumiko and Reina) and it's great anyway. It all depends on the writing and the realisation. We'll see.

Last thing : it's not bad if for once developments aren't obvious from the start, so "not obvious" that many don't want to buy it.

But the way I see it, everything points towards that

Personally, I would probably prefer to see the anime remain open ended because I want all fans to love the anime for the music and the human interactions in it and not forget the level of details that have been put into it which make me personally consider it as one of the best anime in recent times.

It has been a while since l read the novel but isn't it

Nov 14, 2016 1:41 AM

Nov 2007
Frostbytes said:
shanimebib said:

But the way I see it, everything points towards that

Personally, I would probably prefer to see the anime remain open ended because I want all fans to love the anime for the music and the human interactions in it and not forget the level of details that have been put into it which make me personally consider it as one of the best anime in recent times.

It has been a while since l read the novel but isn't it

Also what every KxR fan wants to see is summarized below:

Yep. That's how it is. ^_^
Coronavirus.
Nov 14, 2016 3:58 AM

Jun 2013
Ok so this was definitely my favorite episode. There wasnt a single part of it to dislike at all.
Kinda gotta feel bad for Shuucihi, and that whole situation his relationship with kumiko is in.

I really love how Taki sensei really loved his wife. Also Kumiko cant do math
Nov 15, 2016 5:42 AM

May 2016
Didn't like the Shuuichi development because i'm for-yuri :^)
Sadly the straight pairing seems to be inevitable :(

Nonetheless a good episode, i could feel the awkward tension oozing out of the screen when Kumiko was with Taki sensei in the car.

Kumiko is slowly making it into my favourites list, she's just so adorable <3
┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴ ┬┴┬┴┤ʕ•ᴥ├┬┴┬┴
Nov 15, 2016 5:28 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode as usual, I think the drama with her sister is getting interesting.
Nov 16, 2016 11:55 AM

Jan 2015
Finally a really good episode
Nov 16, 2016 4:26 PM
Nov 2013
people with childhood friends knows this happens
asaspades said:
Rorek said:
Finally!

Kumiko x Shuuichi shipping start!
Kumiko and Shuuichi have no chemistry, and Kumiko barely even acknowledges his existence. The whole show has people finding the courage of their convictions, and it would feel contradictory to deny the sentiment she's vocalised since the first episode: that she has no interest in him. There's just no justification for them to have a relationship.

Particularly that scene frustrated me, since Kumiko has generally given Shuuichi the cold shoulder; I would've thought she would be too proud to rely on him. The fact that he didn't know she didn't like scary things only made them seem more distant and less like childhood friends than ever.
Nov 17, 2016 2:58 PM

Dec 2015
PwnagePancakes said:
asaspades said:
Kumiko and Shuuichi have no chemistry, and Kumiko barely even acknowledges his existence. The whole show has people finding the courage of their convictions, and it would feel contradictory to deny the sentiment she's vocalised since the first episode: that she has no interest in him. There's just no justification for them to have a relationship.

Particularly that scene frustrated me, since Kumiko has generally given Shuuichi the cold shoulder; I would've thought she would be too proud to rely on him. The fact that he didn't know she didn't like scary things only made them seem more distant and less like childhood friends than ever.
people with childhood friends knows this happens
That's just not true, I don't know any people from my childhood who've ended up together.
Nov 19, 2016 4:31 PM
Apr 2014
It's pretty clear that they have decided to stray from the novels, so it's useless to bring them up. Just look at the recap movie and what they cut. The scriptwriter explicitly said he wrote out the romantic subplot. It's not going to happen in the anime. Yuri seems far more likely.
thelumpurNov 19, 2016 5:27 PM
Dec 5, 2016 8:30 AM

Oct 2009
A beautiful episode. I'm more interested in the yuri though.
Dec 9, 2016 7:47 AM

Jun 2007
overall it was unexpectedly boring
hated the "oh i'm scared i'm gonna pull your fucking shirt" cliche scene. how could they do it to kumiko. also how could they play with the poor guy's heart like that
see you, space cowperson . . .
Dec 17, 2016 8:32 AM

Apr 2015
Why's everyone they meet in the way a member!?

Buildup or maybe a filler episode, but I like the SOL/Drama Eupho atmosphere, actually even better than the serious music side to it, thus I liked the episode. Didn't have the magic scenes that lift Eupho above most anime though
Dec 28, 2016 6:53 PM

Jan 2016
The first half was very fun. Reina has really transformed into a much more lively and amusing character over the series.
Dec 29, 2016 5:52 PM

Oct 2008
[FFF] is really holding me back....they are soooooo SLOW!
anyways Reina's eyes oh no! they're back to Yandere mode eyes!
We have short moments with Kumiko & Tsukamoto and Reina stopped the two before Tsukamoko sayng something to Kumiko.
Kumiko's sister has gone rebellious!
Kumiko chat with Taki-sensei made her know more about him a bit especially his passed away wife!
Looks like something ominous is going on with Asuka
4/5.

Dec 30, 2016 5:54 PM

May 2010
I seriously don't get why Kumiko won't tell Reina things she knows about Taki-sensei. That's how high school female friendship works usually after all :v
Jan 1, 2017 10:16 PM

Sep 2015
Aversa said:
Taki sensei driving a Citroen Ami was interesting, the car matches him tho.
French cars always have a certain kind of personality with them.
Ah, that would explain why the driver's seat was on the wrong side.
Jan 2, 2017 12:19 PM

May 2014
Awesome ep. Pretty interesting. The information we learned about Taki-sensei and his wife was probably a clue that Taki x Reina will never happen. I mean the meaning of these flowers. That he will always think of her + having the ring on his finger. Yup, he is definitely not ready for any new relationship who ever it might be. At least not before they have won gold in the nationals. Now we know he shoulders both his own and his wife wishes.

If Reina tell sensei about her feelings, she will be rejected unfortunately. Poor girl. I know it will come, so that is going to be a sad to watch.

On the other side, it were funny to watch Asuka-senpai. LOL, good try Asuka-chan. I would have fall for your magic. :3 The best part were Reina being a vampire (I think). Scared the shit out of them.

Next ep. gonna be good too. I can see for me it will be a lot drama in it and Asuka play a good role in it.
Jan 2, 2017 12:35 PM

May 2014
ShadowBlazer3000 said:
Reina X Kumiko forever. But seriously even if that isn't a ship meant to sail it really makes no sense from the narrative perspective at this point for Kumiko to go with Shuichi beyond the simple fact they're childhood friends. Their scenes never seem to carry any weight, there's been zero indication Kumiko's feelings are mutual and they haven't shared much screentime together.

It really reminds me of Angelic Layer

From a writing standpoint it's better KyoAni abandons the novel's connection and writes its own for the sake of this adaptation.

We all know that after this ep. with the backstory we learned about Taki-sensei, it's very hard that a relationship between Reina and Taki will happen. Currently he is just too loyal to his deceased wife. He isn't on the stage to move on. So to avoid destroying the plot the best choice is Kumiko x Reina, were most of us agree with. Either that or just let them be single. That would probably be the best.

But let see what happens in the next couple of ep. Maybe things will change. But for now Shuichi x Kumiko is just stupid and bad.
Jan 2, 2017 12:39 PM

May 2014
ziggy_Z said:
Mormegil said:

The way she's touching her stomach throughout her scenes in this episode.

It could be possible. Since it's hard to carry a baby while being a student.
Jan 2, 2017 12:46 PM

May 2014
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
shanimebib said:

As far as TV series go, I have really high hope that KyoAni will be able to get this right for the first time in a long, long while with Hibike! Euphonium.

Are you sure? :)

In my eyes too they saved their crumbling reputation with Hibike, and I tell you that was no sure thing for me with a brass band story as premise. I'll wait the end of the saison to tell for sure though (well season 1 was great no matter what) and of course it's just my opinion and taste, this show is not for everybody either, so it's not the absolute and consensual proof that Kyoani is back.

I agree on that. True this series isn't for everybody. But if you are open minded about anime this series is actually one of the best. Not only because of it's a musical show, but I love how they develop the story. The animation is better than many other studios. It's just beautiful to watch. But what I love most is the story/plot and how they develop it. The developement is just beautiful. There are very very few series I have watched that have a so good developement with the plot. Usually they are either bad or just ok. But this series, imo, exceed most series with the plot. I just hope they don't ruin it. Currently it has the chance for me to give it my top score. Not very often I do that. :P
Jan 22, 2017 4:43 PM

May 2012
A bit of a slower and more gentle yet sad episode! Still pretty nice development, let's see what's next.
Jan 26, 2017 10:05 PM

Mar 2015
Great episode that came as a welcome break from the pressure of practicing!

But yeah many feels during the scenes with Taki-sensei
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 27, 2017 10:47 AM

Jul 2009
Kumiko and Reina are made for each other! She should tell Reina that Taki was married!
Feb 1, 2017 5:13 AM

Oct 2012
Taki-sensei, kinda sad.. But I guess he'll be happy if they actually win the nationals

Awww Hanakotoba (花言葉) is always so romantic

I guess Reina didn't stand chance at all
"Signature removed"
Feb 8, 2017 9:47 AM
Mar 2012
ECHOnce said:
_Kairu_ said:

No! More noises the better!

oh my goodness. thank you for introducing me to this channel. uwu too strong

eh~~ I laughed too much there, since I saw several clips before. Kumiko is music.
OP 1/2 half turned color. Taki's wife closeup & four old friends together, lol I never noticed till now.
Asuka conducting & divining looks so much fun. Some nice pieces, with jazz.
Kyoani quality maids everywhere. Yoroizuka looks great, like she's awakened & lovey dovey with Nozomi (even if one ship sinks this ship shall float...).
Either Asuka's perceptive of Kumiko issues or her blabber mouth probably leaks all her worries. Surprising Kumiko hasn't told Reina the secret yet.
Even in a light episode, detail directing's still here, like how Asuka's comment transitions/foreshadows to the ghost house. Oh Shuichi ship finally not ignored, he's so tsundere.
Oneesan is the typhoon, was mentioned in earlier eps, but how does it affect Kumiko still unclear.
Taki meetup was so well chained watched it a few times. How she noticed the ring, keeping delicate boundary while her curiosity thinks of Reina, how Italian White is explained in the later casual talk. Basically he's performing for his wife, carrying on her dream of winning nationals. All this paired with driving an old french car with the wrong wheel side, hints at Taki's personality, uncompromising like his music quality, he's stuck in the past, and there's no space for Reina (yet).
Asuka issues incoming...& her mom?
Apr 24, 2017 4:51 AM

Jun 2013
Asuka, the fortune teller, represents the future, and Reina, the ghost, is from the past. Perhaps I'm reaching too hard, but I think this might mean something. My guess is that Kumiko is still a little afraid of thinking ahead, and her strained relationship with her sister is still waiting to be resolved. Hopefully now that Mamiko's back home, the two will be forced to talk things out eventually.

Alternatively, the roles of the ghost and fortune teller could have more to do with their actors. We still know little about Asuka, and Reina is no less ambitious than her, this could refer to the idea that each of them is either stuck in the past or wary of the future. I admit I'm kind of just spitballing, though.

shanimebib said:
Florist: Your daughter?

Taki-sensei: My student.

Very cool observation. And Reina still can't see the implications of any of this, or she just doesn't care.

LeeTailorApr 24, 2017 5:10 AM
Dec 4, 2017 2:35 PM

Jan 2011
why? just why is this show (and Kyoani) so good? Fantastic episode! First half some Hyouka vibes with this cute school festival and second half some feels, topped with pleasuring graphics and fitting soundtracks! i know definitly that I am going to be really sad when hibike ends some day … T_T
Apr 27, 2018 11:21 AM

Nov 2016
Really enjoyable school festival episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 25, 2019 6:59 PM

Sep 2013
It's been a while since I've seen a Hibike episode, but god damn. Even if the pace of this episode is a bit too fast, every shot looks GOOD.
Mar 4, 2019 1:53 AM

Oct 2017
Asuka was such a cute fortune teller! The first half of this episode was really cute, I liked getting to see everyone’s setup at the school festival. Makes me kinda wish we did them in the US.

The second half was a bit more downtrodden. It focuses on Taki and the subject of his dead wife. You can really tell how much he loves her. And then there’s also Kumiko’s sister who wants to drop out of college. Obviously her parents don’t think too highly of it, being that she’s already invested so much time and money to be there.
Mar 17, 2019 5:00 AM

Feb 2018
Kumiko-Katou-Midori trio were cute in bunny ears and those poses tho lol, Ahhh spooky asuka is soo cute, i too want to get cursed by her.

Natsuki and Yuko are getting along well with each other. Mizore and Nozomi too they're so adorable. literal yuri bait

it feels so forced when there's kumiko and tsukaomoto moments, I'm all up for kumiko×reina if thats a thing. The school was great.

I feel sad for taki, he loves his wife so much. After this I'm sure Reina doesn't stand a chance.

Oho we're finally getting into Asuka's story i wonder who that was
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2016

142 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
Jun 6, 8:48 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

119 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
Jun 6, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

218 by lmarcelere12908 »»
Jun 6, 1:46 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2016

127 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
May 25, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Oct 12, 2016

143 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
May 25, 10:19 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.