Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 2, 2019 10:35 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I have to admit, the OP song is catchy for this anime.

Miki and Aya has a friendly character chemistry that I find appealing. I think the show sells its ideas well for its first episode with the introduction off the board games. Seems there's plenty of variety in that store they went to. There's some colorful creativity that went into this show and I'm looking forward to more :D
Oct 2, 2019 11:55 AM

Sep 2017
I'm interested in the subject matter but the execution of this show irritates me a lot. Again, we have the trite and generic pair of an energetic airhead and a timid shy. But unlike Yuru Camp (which was great), the shy one is completely devoid of positive personality. It is designed to be a pathetic person who doesn't have her own world so that the show can push her around to do anything it wants her to get involved into as a self-insert placeholder for the viewer.

Seriously, I'm not exactly shy myself but I did spend a lot of time alone during high school, because I know how to discover my own world through books and internet. An introvert is not necessarily an empty person who is just waiting something to happen to her. That completely bland introvert trope in anime has to end. Burst into tears just because you're losing in a game you hardly even cared just a minute ago? That's not shy. That's simply pathetic. I know people who has no life exist, but they're not interesting people and there are much more interesting stories can be told about other type of interesting people.

Also, I don't like how preachy the show is. Who needs to be told that you may discover new things if you take risk and be adventurous? I would be much more sympathetic to the heroine if she were 6 years old instead of 16 yo. How about showing us some more strategic gameplay rather than some cheesy moral lessons?
Oct 2, 2019 12:11 PM
Jun 2016
I thought it will be bad, but its actually really cute! I love Aya aaa ending was nice too
Oct 2, 2019 12:37 PM

Sep 2013
This entire show will make me relive so many of my own gaming memories. Tons of familiar game names on these shelves already~

And if future episodes are similarly composed, the people who are just in it for the cute-girls-doing-cute-things will still get the majority of attention, and the board gaming will be a nice extra especially to those who are interested in the hobby.
Oct 2, 2019 12:37 PM

Feb 2017
For a first episode it was really good, I think I will like this nice little show
Oct 2, 2019 12:39 PM
Jan 2019
Girls are really cute, I love aya the most, looking forward for this series :D
chintu_Dec 19, 2019 9:53 PM
Oct 2, 2019 12:44 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was a cute episode, the concept looks cool and promising, the characters too.
Oct 2, 2019 12:46 PM

Aug 2012
Oh cool, they're actually showing real board games. I hope some of my fav board games will appear!
Oct 2, 2019 12:46 PM

Oct 2017
Aww Miki and her kyoto accent is really cute. Aya is a really sweet girl and Midori is tsundere I guess. Well from the looks of it this is gonna be a fun to watch series.
Oct 2, 2019 12:51 PM

Aug 2013
It seems like a cute show. I'm liking the characters so far.

I would love to see what type of board games they will play in future episodes.

Oct 2, 2019 1:03 PM

Nov 2011
Okay first episode. Ono and the Manager are my favorites so far but there a long way to go.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 2, 2019 1:12 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I think it's cool that they're actually using real games for this. Like not just the ones they're seemingly playing in the show but all the ones in the store are definitely real. It's kinda fun just seeing how many you recognize, have played yourself or even own :p
Oct 2, 2019 1:17 PM

Jan 2008
Cute girls. Liking the accents too. Though the entire time, I was constantly curious if she still had panties on or not. They never brought it back up.
Oct 2, 2019 1:41 PM
May 2016
That had to be the least exciting episode of anime I've seen where one of the girls spent the entire time not wearing panties.
Seriously though nothing exceptional but I like board games and Kansai-ben's are always fun to hear.
Oct 2, 2019 1:49 PM

Nov 2016
I'm not really interested in board games, but I guess playing them can be fun.

I gave this this out for the rather unique premise and first episode was pretty ok.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 2, 2019 2:03 PM

Oct 2010
That was cute and fun
Oct 2, 2019 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
Was surprisingly pleasant. Best thing that came out today, especially since it was an onslaught of garbage isekai.
Oct 2, 2019 2:15 PM
May 2019
Not gonna lie, I was a little unsure if I should watch this or not, but even after I decided to do, it was better than expected. I just hope we get see more of the games. I really was interested in playing this game.
Oct 2, 2019 2:17 PM

Dec 2018
Great first episode ,,Cute girls being nice to etch other heartwarming and some Yuri vibes

I think that girl Miki have a lighter type of autism or something

Great start for the seasonal autumn anime 2019 ,,,I love cute girl shows and give this 7/10

But Anime!!! If you want 1/10 and be dropped involved that disgusting male!!! I can see him and he is a problem,,Cute GIRLS Show!!! Not unattractive males show!! I want him gone!!!No males around my females!!!! I accepted the store keeper because he is not a problem male ,, The younger is and he can not be around my girls

Yuri-CrusaderOct 3, 2019 11:24 AM
Oct 2, 2019 2:21 PM
Jan 2014
pretty good episode, and i really liked how they use real game and actually teaching us how to play. it's also nice that the next episode is about a game i own!

but tbh, i don't really like the characters- they're a little too exaggerated imo, Miki and Aya are both comically childish, the manager is way too serious, and the class prez is way too strict. still, it's just the first episode- so i really hope the character will get some depth later on.
Oct 2, 2019 3:02 PM

Aug 2016
A fun and cute episode, the board game was quite interesting too.
Gotta be honest though, I'm gonna keep watching this 99% because the shop owner is voiced by Kazuma Kiryu.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Oct 2, 2019 3:06 PM

Nov 2013
fun episode =D
accents are always fun to listen to

also, Aya best girl
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Oct 2, 2019 3:32 PM
Jun 2015
man this anime is a huge downgrade from the manga, now the girls design looks a generic
Oct 2, 2019 3:33 PM

Dec 2014
Great start so far, seems like a really fun show.

The soundtrack is top tier, the girls are cute especially Aya and it's fun to watch.
The manager is amusing. Some real Kiryu vibes too. xD

Who is Aya's seiyuu?
Edit: Is it Marika Kouno?
Lelouch0202Oct 2, 2019 9:39 PM
Oct 2, 2019 3:45 PM

Mar 2010
Really relaxing in the beginning. They are are danger hazard tho lol. Going to wood with no plan and stalking someone they know
Oct 2, 2019 4:16 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah no this is boring as hell. No ammount of real board games fanservice can save it.
Oct 2, 2019 4:30 PM

Feb 2019
This is going to be the underrated gem of the season I already know, this is so wholesome and adorable. Great OP and ED and a genuinely intellectually stimulating plot. I'll have to pick up the manga next week
Oct 2, 2019 4:33 PM
Oct 2012
Very generic and bland, it feels like a reskin of other shows I've seen just with board games instead. I didn't hate the episode it was fine, it didn't bore me to death, but didn't really interest me in anyway.
Board games is a big hobby to me, if I t wasn't this would be a drop, I'm just curious to see how they will show it through out the show, that is it, nothing else I care about at this point.
Oct 2, 2019 4:58 PM

May 2017
This is actually pretty bad, it felt like I was watching Dora the Explorer. Too much idiocy and they act like the audience are a bunch of little children.
Oct 2, 2019 6:05 PM

Jul 2017
I really love tabletop games as well, so I hope the show continues to maintain this level of charm. I know it's not for everyone, and some people might be put off by how un-blobbish the characters are, but I think the writing makes up for it. The characters are a little nuanced and it seems like the writers are passionate about games as well.
Oct 2, 2019 9:17 PM

Mar 2018
Aaww I love it!
The art is beautiful ngl

It's really just them playing board games, plus the developing character and friendship of the girls I guess
But idk I really like it!

Seeing Zicke Zacke Hühnerkacke brought back memories. I always used to play this with friends back in elementary school ^^
And if the games there are focused on european games I hope I will get such nostalgia moments more often

I also enjoy seeing how the introvert gets dragged out of her comfort zone. I really enjoy this

Looking forward to next week

Btw I really like the VA for Miki. Mal didn't put up the character list yet, I sure hope they do soon, but I just love her soft voice with the kyoko accent
K1ngOfSlothOct 2, 2019 9:26 PM

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 2, 2019 10:38 PM

Jun 2017
The manager is Umibouzu' lost brother.

Oct 2, 2019 11:41 PM

Mar 2009
An anime about tabletop gaming? Wow. They really do make anime about everything and anything.
Oct 3, 2019 2:58 AM

Jun 2019
Not bad but also not good yet.
I skipped first 15 minutes because the introduction scene is boring to me.
But at last I amused.

So many boardgame that I haven't played in my childhood. So, this show make me to watch it again.
Oct 3, 2019 3:10 AM
Sep 2015
yeah next week the cute boy will appear
Oct 3, 2019 4:32 AM
May 2018
It was simple and fun. I liked it. Gonna keep watching.
Oct 3, 2019 5:06 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, this was certainly a fun and compelling watch!

I'm not well-versed with board games in general but that game seemed really fun, I'd love to try that someday! Lol @ that manager though, who would've thought he'd be into board games?

Nice little pretend-lost contest there, this trio seems like a really fun bunch and I'm definitely up for more! Some really nice production quality from LIDENFILMS too, great to see!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 3, 2019 6:11 AM

Apr 2015
This is so cool because I'm from Europe and I recognized some of the boards games in the OP also Marrakech! Definitly gonna continue it's also a relaxing anime, not too serious and underrated animes are always the best. Maybe hidden gem of the season so far.
Oct 3, 2019 6:15 AM

Feb 2019
This episode was relaxing to watch. If the quality remains similar throughout the series then this might be able to rival some good iyashikei shows.
Oct 3, 2019 6:50 AM

May 2018
Well that was relaxing!
Not much of a board games fan but I did read about Marrakech in a magazine way back and its cool to see it here.

So uh
did the twintail girl spend like most of the ep going commando
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Oct 3, 2019 7:51 AM
Sep 2018
Hmm.

I didn't recognize any of the board games, but it's been decades since I've played any, and of those I've played, I'm not aware of any of them having been European imports. So, no nostalgia value from that perspective.

Manager needs to give Class Rep a good taking to concerning running a business, when there aren't any customers around. Due to the location of the store, it isn't prone to having people come in who weren't searching for it; people seek it out, they hear about it from friends, they don't see it while walking down the street. So, if someone does stumble upon it with no knowledge of what it is, you make them welcome. You take the time to see if you can get them interested in what you are selling; very little has a higher priority than that! Class Rep doesn't seem to realize this... "The first hit is always free" is something any successful pusher knows.

Reading through the comments... oy.
1) It isn't labeled as being yuri, so deal with there being males around, OK?
2) Neither is it labeled as being a romance, so one shouldn't swoon over a cute boy going to show up next episode...

The focus is a group of students becoming friends via interactions involving games. So far, they are all female. The preview indicates that it will become coed. Given their attending a coed school, this seems normal, and nothing to make a fuss about. The gaming culture I was a part of in High School (back in the late 1970s...) was coed, and romance never raised it's head. We were all friends who shared an interest in playing games of various types.
Oct 3, 2019 8:16 AM

Jun 2013
This was sweet and a lot of fun, not sure whats up with the low score
Oct 3, 2019 9:05 AM

Apr 2012
Yuri-Crusader said:
Great first episode ,,Cute girls being nice to etch other heartwarming and some Yuri vibes

Great start for the seasonal autumn anime 2019 ,,,I love cute girl shows and give this 7/10

But Anime!!! If you want 1/10 and be dropped involved that disgusting male!!! I can see him and he is a problem,,Cute GIRLS Show!!! Not ugly dick show!! I want him gone!!!No males around my females!!!! I accepted the store keeper because he is not a problem male ,, The younger is and he can not be around my girls

Both girls receive male love interests in later arcs. However, judging by the casting announcements, the anime will have time to get to this.
Oct 3, 2019 9:19 AM

Dec 2018
RobertBobert said:
Yuri-Crusader said:

But Anime!!! If you want 1/10 and be dropped involved that disgusting male!!! I can see him and he is a problem,,Cute GIRLS Show!!! Not ugly dick show!! I want him gone!!!No males around my females!!!! I accepted the store keeper because he is not a problem male ,, The younger is and he can not be around my girls

Both girls receive male love interests in later arcs. However, judging by the casting announcements, the anime will have time to get to this.

Yes i know I read some of the manga
,,As long as i read,,Didn't read the whole thing ,,But you never know how the anime is going to handle it ,, I really hope they understand the cute GIRLS concept here,, But my biggest hope for Yuri this fall is Azur Lane
Yuri-CrusaderOct 3, 2019 11:27 AM
Oct 3, 2019 10:01 AM

May 2014
AOTS front runner
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Oct 3, 2019 11:51 AM

Jan 2018
"We're not lost because we don't have a destination." That's a big brain thinking right there.
Oct 3, 2019 11:59 AM

Aug 2018
Relaxing fun first episode.

I had a feeling I would like Miki somehow when I saw the front cover for the first time and once again my keen eye didn't dissapointed me.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Oct 3, 2019 12:52 PM

May 2018
Can I expect more board game will be introduced along the season ? This could be like High Score Girl and their retro game. Some of my friends at the office love collecting board games, and maybe if there is something new appear from this anime, I can show it to them.

Cool first episode, waiting for next week.
Oct 3, 2019 1:27 PM

Jul 2014
This bored me like hell, not even Tomita Miyu and Marika Kuono can keep me invested enough for this.
Dropped.
Oct 3, 2019 3:55 PM
Feb 2019
Seems fine I like the concept but the first episode isn't anything to write home about.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2019

54 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 26, 1:14 AM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2019

75 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 26, 12:57 AM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2019

67 by alexw1020 »»
Apr 3, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2019

31 by TheColonel76 »»
Sep 25, 2023 4:46 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2019

47 by TheColonel76 »»
Sep 24, 2023 2:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.