3It was OK
16.8%
2Disliked it
3.2%
1Hated it
1.8%
Average 4.2
220 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 5, 2015 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, now that started off awkward...

The episode was alright, quite talky with the mystery and background stories. I'm glad this episode gave more insight about Magata, the most mysterious character of the story so far. Pacing still feels slow but whatever, it still made progress to the story. The conversation about freedom, killing, etc was interesting. As talky as this show is, I find it insightful from a few angles.

Stark700Nov 5, 2015 11:20 AM
Nov 5, 2015 11:41 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The doctor was one freaky teenager. Scary.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 5, 2015 11:45 AM

Jul 2014
Now that we know that the doll is a personality created by herself in the name of Michiru Magato. It's all coming together now and I really think they can finish this series on a high note considering the amount of episodes left. Another very suspenseful ending, it seems like they'll explain pretty much everything about Magato Shiki in the next episode.

Oh, and Saikawa seems ridiculously attracted to Magato Shiki.
Nov 5, 2015 11:48 AM

Jul 2014
I guess the clearer views of the Uncle in the flashbacks this episode safely put an end to the theories of him and Saikawa being one and the same. Then again, there was an interesting parallel between them where they both said something more or less the same about being tied down and having things holding them back from taking freedom. This seems especially interesting in contrast to Nishinosono saying that she doesn't care about being tied down. Speaking of, I actually found the whole conversation between Saikawa and Nishinosono near the end to be pretty interesting, not least because it gave us more insight into both Saikawa and Magata.

I'm sure there were clues dotted through the episode, but I still don't feel that it's any clearer who the killer actually is (although that detail about the doll being an alternate personality could be pretty significant).
Nov 5, 2015 11:54 AM

Apr 2015
I really like the dialogue in this show, very interesting.
Just one question, was the doctor living in solidarity voluntarily?
Nov 5, 2015 11:55 AM

Nov 2014
I can't stand all the flashback scenes with Shiki and her uncle. They're disgusting, excessive, and don't contribute much to the story.

Almost every line during the first half was a question that didn't really lead anywhere.

The second half was much better, but Souhei is kind of a dick. Who just walks away from someone who's crying without trying to console them at all?

4/5
Nov 5, 2015 11:57 AM
Jun 2015
Really love the chemistry between Moe and Saikawa. I always find myself immersed in their interactions. The witty dialogue exchanged between them brings more life to this series, IMO. Props to the script writer.
okqoiwfklweNov 5, 2015 6:06 PM
Nov 5, 2015 12:00 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Info dump from start to finish. It got interesting when Saikawa and Moe were talking.
Nov 5, 2015 12:42 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I was incredibly disturbed by the fact that this episode began with the aftermath of Shiki and her Uncle having sex...............

Anyway, this episode got really emotional and personal real quick and the displays by Moe and the dialogue between both she and Saikawa was pretty intense and sad at the same time.....In one hand I feel really bad for Moe and in the other I kind of get what Saikawa is saying (Even though it's fucked up in a sense too)

The aunt is really suspect as well and honestly, between what she said as well as the ending of the episode, I have a strong feeling that her disgusting pedo uncle is the one that killed Shiki's parents because his dialogue in this episode kinda hints that he would do something this crazy for her as well as his desire to be "free"
Nov 5, 2015 12:43 PM
Jul 2018
We get more insights about Magata.
Nov 5, 2015 12:51 PM

Feb 2015
Stark700 said:

I find it insightful from a few angles.

^
Same to me.
Magata Shiki and Saikawa Souhei, i've never seen any character like that in anime. It's very interesting for me.
Nov 5, 2015 12:52 PM

Oct 2014
Oh man.. the dialogues in this, i love it. It's so philosofical.
Nov 5, 2015 12:56 PM

Jun 2014
More insight about Magata's past in this episode, but not as much tension or suspense compared to previous episodes. It was still pretty decent overall though.

Also, this might be coincidence, but I'm wondering if there could be any significance in the fact that Magata's 3 different personalities each have first and last names that begin with the same letter......
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 5, 2015 1:23 PM

Aug 2013
That was.... a very philosophical episode. 5/5
Nov 5, 2015 1:28 PM

Apr 2010
Not as good as the previous episode but i liked it.
It also shows the events to the murder nicely, at least that's what seems too be suggested.

But it still doesn't explain what what happened in that room or better said there weren't many clues this episode.
Nov 5, 2015 1:39 PM

Mar 2014
That start though
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 5, 2015 2:00 PM

May 2013
What if Dr. Magata's uncle is actually the "doll" that killed her parents? She controls him, right? She also said that she watched it happen.
Nov 5, 2015 2:27 PM

Aug 2015
The start of the episode was disturbing, but the rest was good.
Nov 5, 2015 2:27 PM

Aug 2014
Defiantly the best episode so far. Dialogue was far more engaging than normally.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Nov 5, 2015 2:35 PM

May 2013
Oohhh that last scene tho.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Nov 5, 2015 2:53 PM

Jan 2015
The scene transitions to the flashbacks are really bad. And misplaced. They randomly pop up out of nowhere.
I'd have to say the character interactions are what impress me the most so far.
A-1 pictures and their inconsistent art/animation. This episode looked much better compared to previous episodes.

Nov 5, 2015 3:08 PM

Sep 2014
Seriously, i dont know what's happening. The dialogue is sooooo good that its sooooo advance for me to take something out of it and learn wtf is happening or who killed who.

But this anime knows how to end an episode. Soooo mysterious =D
Nov 5, 2015 3:10 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
aikaflip said:
I can't stand all the flashback scenes with Shiki and her uncle. They're disgusting, excessive, and don't contribute much to the story.

The second half was much better, but Souhei is kind of a dick. Who just walks away from someone who's crying without trying to console them at all?

They're only disgusting by our standard morals. Being brought up in such a society, it's natural to be disgusted, but they definitely are an important part to the story. Who is Magata Shiki? The flashbacks help you understand how Magata is a person, her mentality and her values. She's not only highly intellectual, but she's curious about a lot of things, and doesn't want to be tied down to society. She has the ability to influence other people, who usually wouldn't stray off the normal path.

As for Saikawa (and Moe as well), they're both are odd. I think he's not the type to console anyone anyways, although he will at least stay with them when need someone. Moe is the more odd one imo, she's sort of rude and inconsiderate the way she busted out one question after another at the director's wife, whose husband had just been murdered. The memory of Magata killing her parents probably isn't something normal people would want to talk about, even after a long time has passed.

This has been quite an interesting episode. The conversations between Saikawa and Moe in the anime kind of makes the whole drama series more understandable, or the drama makes more sense after watching the anime. We get a much better look at Saikawa's thoughts than in the drama.
Nov 5, 2015 3:31 PM

Nov 2014
It seems Saikawa was the first person to figure out Magata's freaky nature instead of Moe, even he didn't have a chance to meet her in person.
Nov 5, 2015 3:37 PM

Dec 2014
Good episode that answered a gave us more insight on Magata. The parallels between this and Monogatari are almost uncanny, and even though I prefer the latter due to having more visual flare and a slightly stronger plot, I can still admit this show is still solid as fuck. (Though this show is one ongoing plot, while Monogatari is arc-based but you get the idea)

(Also, Magata fucked her uncle? Wut.)
Nov 5, 2015 3:44 PM

Oct 2012
It seems that more than anything this series tries to criticize those boundaries modern society places around us by education. While growing up we are given an illusion of choice but in fact, we are tied by the system instead. With those rules they are severely limiting our options during decisions and our outlook of the world is considerably restricted.

So now we know Moe didn't do that.. probably. I kinda share her opinion that those rules are there for a reason. What bothers me, though, is negative attitude of Souhei, he clearly doesn't love her and there is something more him. But I have the feeling this is only the beginning and she will try mimic Magata in the future, trying to make him sleep with her as Shiki did with her uncle.

The moment Shiki bought the knife it was clear she did it to free him from those chains her parents represented. I'm still not sold about those personalities of hers were product of some mental disease as it seems she made pretty conscious choice of bringing them in and therefore I see it only as her way of playing with others.

Anyway, I still don't understand why they can't tell the police murder had happend by mail, they would be there instantly. And what about other people on the island, in camp precisely? Sometimes new clues are being talked about rather conveniently but it still feels pretty natural so I guess it's ok.

Edit: Anyone who feels disgusted by the conversation Magata had with her uncle or by the fact they slept with each other - you are just feeling constrainsts and morals our society put on you.
Why do you think of something as bad or good? Isn't that something you are just taking for granted?
If killing is bad why do think all other species on the Earth are doing it? And what's wrong with having sex with your relative? The genes and attraction tells us otherwise but if this was something bad it wouldn't be possible in the first place.

We are human because we can think about our actions. Yet our nation limits the things we are allowed to think about.
And that's what this series is about.
Mich666Nov 5, 2015 4:04 PM
Nov 5, 2015 4:29 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The beginning was... weird. Loving the dialogues in this anime but the pacing is gonna kill me! Only 6 episodes left, what the hell are they gonna do. Will it get a second season. It better...

3/5
Nov 5, 2015 4:34 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Only 6 episodes left, what the hell are they gonna do. Will it get a second season. It better...

Yeah, otherwise it'll feel very incomplete. Not because of the mystery, which will most likely be solved at the end, but because they won't be able to show everything about the two main characters.
Nov 5, 2015 4:37 PM

Jul 2013
A lot of talking
Nov 5, 2015 4:42 PM

Mar 2014
yo magata is fucked goddamn incest
Nov 5, 2015 4:58 PM

May 2015
Not as good as previous episodes. Alright episode. The start of the episode was kinda creepy though.

Nov 5, 2015 5:14 PM
Sep 2014
tingy said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Only 6 episodes left, what the hell are they gonna do. Will it get a second season. It better...

Yeah, otherwise it'll feel very incomplete. Not because of the mystery, which will most likely be solved at the end, but because they won't be able to show everything about the two main characters.

The Perfect Insider is only the fourth book in the S&M series (Souhei & Moe, obviously), which consists of what looks to be over 10 books. So we're definitely not going to learn everything about the titular characters in this show.
Nov 5, 2015 5:22 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
fatalystic said:
tingy said:

The Perfect Insider is only the fourth book in the S&M series (Souhei & Moe, obviously), which consists of what looks to be over 10 books. So we're definitely not going to learn everything about the titular characters in this show.

Yes I'm aware, that's exactly why I said this X) Also because I've seen the drama so that's why I said it would feel incomplete.
Nov 5, 2015 5:40 PM

Oct 2015
I should study more philosophic lesson.
Nov 5, 2015 5:54 PM

Aug 2007
tingy said:
aikaflip said:

They're only disgusting by our standard morals. Being brought up in such a society, it's natural to be disgusted, but they definitely are an important part to the story. Who is Magata Shiki? The flashbacks help you understand how Magata is a person, her mentality and her values. She's not only highly intellectual, but she's curious about a lot of things, and doesn't want to be tied down to society. She has the ability to influence other people, who usually wouldn't stray off the normal path.

As for Saikawa (and Moe as well), they're both are odd. I think he's not the type to console anyone anyways, although he will at least stay with them when need someone. Moe is the more odd one imo, she's sort of rude and inconsiderate the way she busted out one question after another at the director's wife, whose husband had just been murdered. The memory of Magata killing her parents probably isn't something normal people would want to talk about, even after a long time has passed.

This has been quite an interesting episode. The conversations between Saikawa and Moe in the anime kind of makes the whole drama series more understandable, or the drama makes more sense after watching the anime. We get a much better look at Saikawa's thoughts than in the drama.

I agree that the flashbacks are absolutely vital. If the viewer is shocked then that is that but the content itself is necessary and entwined with the plot.

I too thought that the director's wife's whole attitude was plain strange. It's true that people handle grief very differently and especially during the first hours/days but the way she was so eager to talk about such traumatizing events struck me as rather odd.
Also, how does she know all this in such detail? Did her husband tell her?

And I wonder where Miki was during that party, she seemed conspiciously absent.

Interesting to see that Moe was apparently wearing purple when she found out about the death of her parents.

I can understand why Saikawa did not console Moe. With someone so starved for someone's affection, any overt act of kindness can be very, very cruel.
Nov 5, 2015 5:56 PM

Jun 2014
i wasn't really into the episode until the long dialogue between Saikawa and Moe where it got really interesting , I really liked the ending too
Nov 5, 2015 6:54 PM

Jan 2013
Another good episode, really liked the dialogue in the last conversation.
Nov 5, 2015 7:02 PM

Apr 2012
Lots of talk about hard stuff
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Nov 5, 2015 7:16 PM

Oct 2013
Everything becomes Free, let the deaths begin!!
Nov 5, 2015 7:26 PM

Jul 2015
nakedfoxspirit said:
Oh man.. the dialogues in this, i love it. It's so philosofical.

Nice informative episode to drive the plebs away.
Nov 5, 2015 7:30 PM

Oct 2014
The interaction between saikawa and moe is fun to watch.
Nov 5, 2015 7:46 PM

Oct 2011
Deep and philosophical episode 0_____0

Whoa so that was the doll she threw away

The Uncle killed her parents?? Free oneself
Nov 5, 2015 8:14 PM

Jul 2012
Jesus Christ, Moe...
Sensei makes a really cool philosophical speech and all she can say is "Is that why you like Magata?! I'm so jealous!!"

Another cliffhanger. Ahhhh more waiting! ;_;
Nov 5, 2015 9:00 PM

Jun 2014
pedojii-sama ain't gonna go down that easy
Nov 5, 2015 9:42 PM

Feb 2014
Man Saikawa is fundamentally unlikable, what a creep you emotionless weirdo.

This seems to be separating into three mysteries. What happened 15 years ago and whats happening now and also what happened with Moe's parents.

Still thinking she had a child inside the room with her, Moe made the suggestion too and it was sort of glossed over. Doctor Magata was 14 years old when she was accused of killing her parents. Now the child would also be 14 years old and her parents (Magata and the director) are dead. Is this history repeating itself? Giving all the talk of freedom being linked to killing parents this episode it seems to be a bit suss.
eXtacy67Nov 5, 2015 9:53 PM
Nov 5, 2015 10:10 PM

Jan 2008
So Shiki wanted to murder her parents, or rather had them murdered, because she was an underaged hoe that wanted to continue boning her pedo uncle. That's pretty messed up. Now I'm thinking it may be the the director's wife that's the culprit, since she has enough motive.
DarkYazawa said:
What if Dr. Magata's uncle is actually the "doll" that killed her parents? She controls him, right? She also said that she watched it happen.

That's what I thought too! Another interpretation of the doll being the real killer of Magata's parents, would be the uncle himself, since he's doing her bidding, manipulated by her actions of coming on to him, fucking him, and giving him the to-be murder weapon.

As for the flashbacks, I wish they put some kind of different effect overlay, change up the tone, add a sound effect or something as a visual or auditory cue, because it's hard to tell which is the past and present without looking paying close attention. I keep thinking those flashbacks are taking place somewhere else at the same time, like for a brief moment I thought Magata Shiki in the white outfit was the magazine reporter coming to the island.
Nov 5, 2015 10:29 PM

Mar 2014
if magata is a boy then that would disturb me.
Nov 5, 2015 10:37 PM

Nov 2012
oh boi, that last scene though.
this episode wasn't as good as the previous one, but i still liked it. the flashback scenes with magata shiki are always really good.
Nov 5, 2015 10:40 PM

Apr 2012
Saikawa is straight up autistic

Nov 6, 2015 1:14 AM
Aug 2015
Don't really care about the philosophical dialogue between Moe and Saikawa
I just want to see how they figure out the murderer......
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2015

278 by wildhood »»
Mar 8, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2015

175 by 0arche »»
Jan 10, 9:11 AM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2015

228 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 25, 2023 10:55 PM

» For anyone who want to know why shiki escaped the island and her story in light novel

Baoyeuconpo9999 - Mar 10, 2023

3 by Thewatcher_22 »»
Mar 11, 2023 8:59 AM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

172 by Floral_soap »»
Jan 14, 2023 11:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.