Forum Settings
Forums

Would you disregard a series because of art-style?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 25, 2018 9:58 PM

Jul 2016
not really. but it does contribute in some cases.
I wouldn't mind watching a series with "bad art" as long as I find the plot interesting.
the plot/enjoyment/entertainment factor is what I usually look for in anime series that I watch.

"If beautiful women don’t celebrate their beauty, the entire human race loses out. Don’t you agree?”—Sonya

ƒ ♥♥
Jan 25, 2018 10:07 PM

Nov 2013
That depends. If it reaches the Aku no Hana level, then yes. That isn't the only reason why I dislike it though.

In general, I don't dislike different art styles. If the story and characters are interesting enough, I'll watch it.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 25, 2018 10:12 PM

Oct 2014
Absolutely. You wont find me reading Haikyuu's manga.
Bad animation is a problem. Not to be confused with old animation or unique/artistic animation which can both be superb.
Jan 25, 2018 10:15 PM

Feb 2017
I tend to avoid Gonzo and Diomedea because of the visual
Jan 25, 2018 10:34 PM

Jan 2013
Hell yeah! I forced myself to watch One Piece because of how many people love it but after watching 35 episodes I just couldn't anymore. I just hate the art-style. Plus the story didn't grab me. Had I liked the art-style I would have stuck around for at least 50 episodes.

When deciding on whether to watch a specific show or not I asked these questions:

1. Am I interested in the story?
2. Is it rated well critically?
3. Is the animation/art-style pleasing enough to watch?

I ignore any Anime that I can't answer yes to all the above questions..
KoolBreezeJan 25, 2018 10:38 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2018 10:42 PM

Sep 2017
Never, a show with a unique or different art style is always welcome. Its to bad some people will never watch ping pong, man such a good story. Id rather have unsightly art style than shitty or choppy animation.
Jan 25, 2018 10:53 PM

Jun 2013
Sure man, it's a visual medium after all. Call me whatever you want but if a certain style disturbs me, I don't bother with it. Aku no Hana for example, after reading the manga I tried to watch the anime.. Yup, nothing of value was lost.
Jan 25, 2018 11:13 PM
Dec 2017
I would say no but i remembered i almost dropped devilman crybaby because of the animation till i finished the first episode. Same with ajin i nevery really liked cgi but the series hooked me with its story
Jan 25, 2018 11:28 PM

Aug 2013
Yeah. Definitely. I refuse to watch anything made in full 3D or generally with high amount of 3DCG elements. I hate "realistic" artstyle as well (like mentioned above aku no hana or ping pong) or experimental and unique artstyle, especially if it comes to character design.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 25, 2018 11:36 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Never. This seems to be common with a lot of people though. Moe = instant trash. Certain Shonen Jump art styles like One Piece and JoJo’s = instant trash. This also applies for western cartoons. “CalArts” cartoons such as Gumball and Clarence = instant trash.
This is not how I feel. I never really have a problem with a show’s art style. I’m easy to please!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2018 2:19 AM

Feb 2013
yea sometimes if the cover looks generic enough
Jan 26, 2018 2:26 AM

Nov 2016
Whaaat. I have watched a few episodes of Jojo and m loving it. so manly

However i tried to watch Ajin but.... errrr. maybe someother time
Jan 26, 2018 2:57 AM
Aug 2016
No, I wouldn't.

Also, the amount of times when Ping Pong the Animation was mentioned... feels bad man.
Jan 26, 2018 3:00 AM
Jul 2018
I did watch Boku no Hero Academia so I guess not.
Jan 26, 2018 3:01 AM

Jan 2013
Rarely, I'm generally very tolerant when it comes to various artstyles. I watched and enjoyed some CGI shows like Sidonia no Kishi, I don't mind old anime, I disliked Ping Pong for other reasons than the artstyle. But there are some things even I can't stand - if it looks too cartoon-ish (especially that kind of old cartoon look, like Lupin III for example), that weird CGI which looks like a computer game (like Infini-T Force) and rotoscoping (Aku no Hana).
Jan 26, 2018 3:05 AM

Sep 2017
I mean animation is just one factor to what makes a show good... For me, I wouldn't just avoid a show because the animation style is different from the norm, in fact I would be interested it what story it tells both visually and narratively. Ping Pong animation is one show that comes to mind with a different artstyle that I really enjoyed, and I don't regret watching it.
Violent Evergarden is the new dark souls of being boring :^)
Jan 26, 2018 3:08 AM

Aug 2016
I hestitated on starting Clannad because of its art style and character designs. I eventually gave it a chance and it became one of my favourites ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 26, 2018 3:11 AM

Sep 2017
I also disregarded Oyasumi Punpun because of the way the main character designed and how his family worked, and how the manga had a different tone then others, but when I actually started reading it and completed it, just wow, became one of my favorites.
Violent Evergarden is the new dark souls of being boring :^)
Jan 26, 2018 3:14 AM

Nov 2009
I'd never dismiss an anime for the art. If it's not to my taste, I'll get used to it eventually and possibly even start to like it over time. If it's bad...well, there's always the story.

Honestly I'm easy to please, though, so I can usually ignore art that I dislike.
Jan 26, 2018 6:32 AM
Feb 2014
Yes, Art style is very, very important to me, it's one of the top reasons i like anime so much, and one of the things that set them milions of light years apart from cartoons. I will never watch Ping Pong, Aku no Hana, Fuujin Monogatari, One Piece etc. because of the god awful art style. I saw some images/gifs from Ping Pong and was completely disgusted, they look like those nasty caricatures that sadly comprise 99% of western animation nowadays.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jan 26, 2018 6:36 AM
Jun 2016
Ventus_S said:
AmMar-Sama said:
I would be missing a lot if I refused to get into something just because of the art style, so nope. I try to give everything a chance.

The thing is generally I accept alot of art-style.

Just those that go to the extreme may put me off.

I'm actually not that picky about art-style.
Which one is this from, kinda interested.
Jan 26, 2018 6:38 AM

Nov 2014
I wouldn't disregard it because of an art-style, that being said if the art is just plain and simply bad, you can't just go calling it an "art-style" it's just bad art and i won't want to watch it, same for bad animation, i can stand average animation but if it's Mars of Destruction level i won't give it any time of day either

Sure it's a shame to dismiss a possibly great story because of bad art but if the story was so great in the first place it should've had enough budget for better art

Jan 26, 2018 6:42 AM

Oct 2017
T0ndo said:
Ventus_S said:

The thing is generally I accept alot of art-style.

Just those that go to the extreme may put me off.

I'm actually not that picky about art-style.
Which one is this from, kinda interested.

Flower of Evil.

Basic premise being a messed up girl trying to corrupt another boy to make him messed up too, and another less messed up girl got involved and you'd find out that she's quite messed up too XD..

Basically a pretty messed up edgy-teen type of show XD.
Kinda worth reading the manga.
Ventus_SJan 26, 2018 7:05 AM
Jan 26, 2018 6:43 AM

Sep 2016
Only if it's really bad.
I want to watch Hachimitsu to Clover but the art is a huge turn off.

🔥You're looking at someone🔥

🔥Who is superior to you🔥

🔥You have my permission to🔥

🔥Bask in my glow🔥

Jan 26, 2018 6:44 AM

Oct 2015
I don't.

By the way dismissing Jojo for art style?! The art style is the reason I'm planning to watch the series dude wtf it's great.
Jan 26, 2018 7:03 AM
Aug 2011
Depends, usually it doesn't but when I think something is pandering to a specific style like going super hard to me moe it can be a huge turn off.
Jan 26, 2018 7:16 AM

Mar 2012
I actively avoid "unique" artstyle. Dropped Aku no Hana and will never give JoJo or Afro Samurai a shot.
Although I might give it a chance, I usually don't like anime with extremely dull colors to the point I have to try and look at my screen from every angle just to get a clear view.
Jan 26, 2018 7:24 AM

Jul 2015
Art style not appealing me might make me not want to watch that series, but when I do I don't think it affects much my opinion.
Jan 26, 2018 7:34 AM

Jan 2017
It depends. Usually I'm not against unique art and I wouldn't disregard shows like Jojo or Tatami Galaxy just because their artstyles are special (although I still prefer "normal" style). But if we speak about something like Aku no Hana then yes I would avoid watching it. In such cases I also don't care if the art has any deeper meaning or something like that. It just looks way to ugly for me...

"Blood and rain mixed with broken dreams flow together along the curb,
But even in the darkest corners of misery the roses bloom at sunset"
Jan 26, 2018 7:35 AM

Sep 2014
yes
aku no hana is garbage, the artstyle is the reason
Jan 26, 2018 7:46 AM
Jan 2017
I try my best not to give a shit about art style and check if the anime is actually good or not due to which I gave a fair chance to Ajin and enjoyed it a lot and tatami galaxy also but then Handshakers came which was made with the sole intention of giving eye cancer.
Jan 26, 2018 7:48 AM

Dec 2016
This is something I do most of the time. I don't remember just how many animes I have decided not to watch because of their bad art style.
Jan 26, 2018 7:55 AM
Jan 2018
Yah. It's one of the factors im looking for when im searching for a new anime to watch. I dont like the the super old style but I dont want it to be exaggerated either, just the normal looking anime will do.
Jan 26, 2018 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah of course, I've passed on a lot of anime because of shitty art or character designs that don't look good to me lol
Jan 26, 2018 8:48 AM

Dec 2014
I prefer anime from like 2010+ I am not a real fan of old art style like I would never watch Ping Pong the animation that looks dreadful.
Jan 26, 2018 8:56 AM

Apr 2010
Depends. If I think the storys good I try to get used to it. I am not really picky with the art style in general but there are just a few things that I don't like. Only using CGI/3D for example is a thing I don't really like. That's the main reason I still haven't finished God Eater and Sidonia no Kishi. And I think it will take a long while for me to finish it at all.
Why all these things happend? Why?
Can we do something? No, we can not! Why is it so?
Jan 26, 2018 9:03 AM

May 2017
Yeah i was like that in the past but now if the story is good I'll give it a try ,but honestly i don't prefer older animes from 80s and 90s well the reason for that is there is a difference between bad animation and different art style
Jan 26, 2018 9:15 AM

Dec 2012
Yes, if it's bad enough, for example Shin-chan and Super Milk-chan are hideously unwatchable. It also depends on the show's story though since Kemonozume and Redline also made my eyes bleed but I watched them anyway.
KruszerJan 26, 2018 9:22 AM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jan 26, 2018 9:22 AM

Oct 2015
Nope. A few have put me off slightly at first - Clannad, JoJo's, Katanagatari etc but they all quickly grew on me after only the first episodes and all 3 became favourites of mine.

It's dumb to judge the whole art style by looking just at the poster or even watching a trailer, you need to watch a few minutes at least to get a proper feel of it I believe.

There's nothing wrong with Aku no Hana or Ping Pongs visuals either.
Jan 26, 2018 9:32 AM

Jan 2010
Totally.
It's the main thing that I like about anime. The art.
I don't watch anime with art that I find unattractive.
Jan 26, 2018 9:34 AM

Aug 2010
It has never been a problem for me - on the contrary - I quiet like distinct stlyes.
Jan 26, 2018 9:54 AM

Apr 2017
I can't recall any anime I didn't like because of the artstyle. I really didn't like Madocka's artstyle, but that wasn't really the reason I dropped it.
Jan 26, 2018 10:25 AM

Jul 2017
Yes,art style sometimes make me less motivated to watch something, but it can be the opposite though.
For example I don't think I'll ever watch Welcome to the Ballroom because of those eyes and necks. I may love it once I started watching it, but I am not watching it until I run out of anime that looks more appealing to me, which may take forever.
Jan 26, 2018 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
Absolutely. I would never ever watch something like Ping Pong or Aku No Hana, because I find the art-style awful. I don't care how amazing the show is, if I don't like its style, then I won't even bother.
Jan 26, 2018 11:27 AM

Jan 2018
the anime i've watched which had the weirdest art style was ping pong the animation.
Jan 26, 2018 11:42 AM

Aug 2015
No. I'm open to all art styles, no matter how weird they look. Ping Pong, Aku no Hana and JJBA have been mentioned a few times in this thread and I think all three art styles look fine.
Jan 26, 2018 11:42 AM

Aug 2015
I absolutely despise the eyes of clannad which is also one of the reasons why i dropped it.

Mhh.. I also almost dropped Aku no Hana because of the horrendous art.

Oh and of course CGI. Can't stand it. I refuse to watch Ajin because of it.
Jan 26, 2018 12:07 PM

Jan 2016
yea, it happens a lot for me. skipped a fair amount of shows because of bland/generic artstyle.
Jan 26, 2018 12:09 PM

Nov 2008
Yes. I am f*cking shallow. If the show looks ugly, it has no business with me. :'D

code said:
I'd like to say no but I couldn't get three minutes into violet everwhatever because I hate the art style.

WHAT.
That art style is BEAUTIFUL. Fix your shit taste. >:/

@THEALMIGHTYGUY

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! KILL IT WITH FIREEEEEEEE!!!! XD

Jan 26, 2018 12:14 PM
Jul 2017
Personally I try to cope for about 3 episodes and if I don't like the series I won't watch it
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Making time to watch anime in daily life.

9765 - 2 hours ago

7 by Azuchi »»
15 minutes ago

» A very personal question

passtur - Yesterday

33 by weebtoge »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime characters you would give a big hug too?

Mattenan - 9 hours ago

12 by Azuchi »»
18 minutes ago

» What are the requirements for an anime to get "reanimated"?

Ventus_S - 12 hours ago

6 by GamerDLM »»
41 minutes ago

» Anime you wouldn't watch?

coolyfruity - Yesterday

29 by JoeChip »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.