Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Feb 24, 2017 3:59 AM

Oct 2015
This was the best anime i have watched this year so far. Everything was perfect even the art and oh it had a great twist in the end i loved it.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 1, 2017 7:34 AM

Oct 2016
To sum it up, this Anime is 10% strategy and 90% characters crying like a faucet.

6/10 for me. I got too tired watching characters crying like idiots. The MC is just too pathetic for me to sympathize any longer.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 1, 2017 9:52 PM

Oct 2015
There were times when it was really hard to watch and it just became a cheating fest midway which I absolutely despise. I didn't really think it was a waste of time. 7/10
May 19, 2017 12:31 AM
Jan 2015
great anime
it keep me at the edge of seats for most of the episode
It is also interesting to see the character's view of society
it is a waste of 20 millions yen , but , well , I guess this is also a setup for new arc
look forward to next season !!
there is not many anime that can keep people thrilled for a simple game
simple game but a deep concept
9/10

Jul 5, 2017 2:17 PM

Sep 2016
holy shit, Hyodo is goddamn genius, he isn't lucky old geezer, but truly cunning and smart.
this anime is so intense with cliffhanger every single episode even in final episode lol, I can't stop watching and finished the whole things 2 days.

easy 9/10, that's pretty rare for my list.

I honestly don't know how I could enjoy Kakegurui after watching this, I don't think I can do that anymore lol. I read the manga, so I know that Kaiji is far far better. and also, manly tears > orgasm
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 17, 2017 1:57 PM

Apr 2013
"Defeat is not the worst of failures."

Kaiji learned his lesson and achieved yet another mental power-up. I'm surprised that he didn't faint trough all this shit.

Jul 26, 2017 9:39 AM

Aug 2012
Comradepoos said:
All I wanted was for Ishida's wife to get that 10 million ;_;

WHY DIDN'T YOU QUIT WHILE YOU WERE AHEAD KAIJI

He make a stupid choice in the end. Those extra should not leave the tissue box in front of kanji after they treat him!!(joke aside).... 20million!! that is supposed to be on Isshida's wife debt and 10m for him to pay 6-7m debt no string attached.

Aug 7, 2017 8:02 AM

Dec 2015
You should've take the 20mil and left while you could, baaaaaaka.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 3, 2017 10:25 AM

May 2016
Kaiji almost escaped with an easy 20million then he challenged Hyodo... He was so engrossed in his own strategy that he underestimated the Director's ability to cheat and paid the price fully. Despite losing his fingers due to a wasted opportunity, at least he took it like a man.

He's not the Ultimate Survivor for nothing, he was so troubled by his loss that his missing body parts ain't troubling him at all. He'll be back and will get what he wants and more when the opportunity presents itself again. Sasuga Kaiji you can do it~

Sep 24, 2017 12:08 PM

Jun 2015
I really enjoyed Kaji S1 and finished it within the span of a week, that's such an achievement for an anime to get me on my seat for more than 4 eps in a row plus watching them every day.
It was really entertaining all the way through, although I also have to admit that the scenes were dragged quite a bit sometimes, specially the Card E game.
In the other hand, the tension, dialogues an inner thoughts, the mind battles were brilliant, the music was awesome and really fit the anime. I also love when hard times happen to the main characters and it's not an easy path like your typical anime.
I kind of got spoiled with an ost youtube picture about kaiji's fingers before I started watching the last 2 eps, so I was already imagining how it would end... awwwwwww!!! Although I wasn't sure if that would not be a thing of S2 so I wasn't 100% sure.
But the President was acting too confident and fishy. When both of them put their hand inside the paper box he kept it there for some seconds, so it was pretty obvious he did something to ensure his win. And by the way, the crippled guys that appeared in the last part of the season to "send" good prayers to Kaiji were kinda hilarious and felt a bit forced, can't imagine someone who's fallen from 10m and agonizing to be interested in anything but his own sake but yea looks that those were the ones that weren't severely injured. The invalids with broken arms and legs seemed to appear right in the end lol!! But I can give it a pass.))
Kaiji is a great character, I really emphatized with him all the way through as he felt pretty human and realistic to me. That's another good point of this series where you can really see a progression in his character as he's too naive at the start where he's cheated & betrayed for a total of 3 times in a row and then to finish the season where he's the one who cheats on his opponent.
I think I will be seeing a new dimension of the character for S2, where he will be more selfish and somewhat unmerciful. I really want to see something like that.

So all in all, this is really a good series and I'm excited to watch S2. Kaiji really left me a great impresion, it's one of these uncommon animes that make you stick on your seat and keep wanting to know what happens next. Really few of the animes I've watched till now can hold that honor. And there he goes directly to my top 10 fav animes.
MMiyamotoSep 24, 2017 12:21 PM
Sep 25, 2017 5:18 PM

Jan 2010
okay, so this was basically an open ended ending, understandable considering the fact that it has a second season.
It was extremely addictive, i finished it all in 2 days, it was fun...i'm going to watch the 2nd season too, probably circled around kaiji and the geezer...

i'm gonna give 4/5 for this ending and 8/10 for the anime :)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Oct 6, 2017 11:25 AM

Feb 2013
Hyodo knew everything.
Feb 15, 2018 5:49 AM

Jan 2015
What an awesome anime, can't wait to watch the second season! Although, I pray (wait, what will that do?) that the second season will have a more conclusive finale! Not to say this was bad, of course! Just, definitely a "to be continued" kind of episode.

Netforce said:
Kaiji :(
I feel like crying.
I was crying!
Feb 18, 2018 11:24 PM

Nov 2012
kaiji should stop after he win 20m but he understimate hyoudo. also seems he forgot to consider his promise to ishida. kaiji is so reckless.
Mar 2, 2018 10:54 AM

Dec 2014
Damn, I did not expect that ending with him losing his fingers. :O

Great anime overall, really entertaining with a lot of suspense and intensity. It does drag the suspense bits a little too much at times but it's always worth it.

8/10
Mar 8, 2018 3:21 PM

Nov 2016
Plot armor doesn't exist here I guess.

Kaiji went all out for this and still lost. This final is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth,but that's what made this series so amazing.

One of the most thrilling and addictive anime I've seen,really one of a kind.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 18, 2018 7:45 AM

May 2016
It was so obvious that Kaiji would lose but I thought he would add 100 Million to his debt in exchange for his fingers.
Well it had some really good moments but there were a lot of flaws thus I give it 8/10
Mar 31, 2018 12:45 AM

Dec 2014
what a twist i never would have even suspected

everytime kaiji felt despair my heart skipped a beat, will kaiji win ,will he lose

there is no plot armor in this show at all, really hard to guess who is gonna come at top or i should say who is gonna come out alive...

damn this is a great show, just one question before jumping to 2nd season, will he have his fingers next season???

solid 8/10 for me
Send me Friend requests!!!!
Oct 22, 2018 1:17 AM
Jul 2018
Last arc keeps this from a 10. Thankfully, it was the shortest one. Unfortunately, it also was the ending to this anime. Still a solid 7.5/10 arc but bad by Kaiji standards.
Dec 22, 2018 8:38 PM

Nov 2018
Whoa, what an end...I did not expect it to end up like that. Poor Kaiji...my god...

Now I have to watch the 2nd season. I absolutely must! It can't end like this! He HAS to take his revenge on Hyodo!

Edit: Well, after doing quick research, I just now found out that the manga is still ongoing and that the 2nd arc doesn't even feature Hyodo as the villain. That's disappointing. But now I think I'll watch the 2nd season and then read the manga. Kaiji is such a sympathetic character, I really want him to succeed.
Lord-of-the-LezDec 22, 2018 8:52 PM
Live-action Japanese media that I've seen: https://mydramalist.com/dramalist/AmandaBear
Non-Japanese movies & TV shows that I've seen: https://www.imdb.com/user/ur29585794
Mar 7, 2019 6:45 PM

Aug 2016
Yeah, one thing I like about Fukumoto: he doesn´t forgive errors. Overall, great anime with a "despairing done right" end, even if it didn´t had a sequel (but fortunatly, it has). I still prefer Strongest man Kurosawa when it comes to Fukumoto, but this is an excellent adittion in my completed list. And this also makes me more interested in reading more Fukumoto stuff in the future.
:v
Apr 11, 2019 9:14 PM

Aug 2017
So, the chairman was cheating and Kaiji panicked when he couldn't find the paper. I'm surprised that he just fold the paper to win lmao.

*Restricted Rock, Paper, Scissors was the best arc from the entire show. There was tension, good pacing and the characters were amazing.

*Steel Frame Crossing was very good despite that isn't a gamble in itself.

*E-Card arc was the second best arc from this show despite a few episodes with unnecessarily slow pacing. The ending is amazing.

*Tissue Box Raffle arc was the weakest arc from the show. The reason is weak and the ending was very predictable. Kaiji deserved to lose from the start. At least we know more about Hyoudou's amazing skills.

+Absolute truth of human nature
+Psychological aspect.
+Kaiji in the first three arcs.
+Animation.
+Greatest villains
+Human characters.

-Unnecessarily slow pacing in the third arc.
-The first episode.
-The last arc and the reason.
-The second "game" isn't a gamble. At least the script is amazing.
-Anti-climactic ending.

Kaiji is better than Kakegurui in the psychological aspect but fails in the variety of gambling.

I want to give it a 7 for that Tissue Box Raffle match but overall the rest is much better. 7.5→8/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 10, 2019 9:34 AM
Oct 2015
Raizel said:
It was so obvious that Kaiji would lose but I thought he would add 100 Million to his debt in exchange for his fingers.
Well it had some really good moments but there were a lot of flaws thus I give it 8/10
it wasn't obvious to him but it was to us cause we the formula these type of stories tend to have
Jun 10, 2019 9:37 AM
Oct 2015
Nurguburu said:
So, the chairman was cheating and Kaiji panicked when he couldn't find the paper. I'm surprised that he just fold the paper to win lmao.

*Restricted Rock, Paper, Scissors was the best arc from the entire show. There was tension, good pacing and the characters were amazing.

*Steel Frame Crossing was very good despite that isn't a gamble in itself.

*E-Card arc was the second best arc from this show despite a few episodes with unnecessarily slow pacing. The ending is amazing.

*Tissue Box Raffle arc was the weakest arc from the show. The reason is weak and the ending was very predictable. Kaiji deserved to lose from the start. At least we know more about Hyoudou's amazing skills.

+Absolute truth of human nature
+Psychological aspect.
+Kaiji in the first three arcs.
+Animation.
+Greatest villains
+Human characters.

-Unnecessarily slow pacing in the third arc.
-The first episode.
-The last arc and the reason.
-The second "game" isn't a gamble. At least the script is amazing.
-Anti-climactic ending.

Kaiji is better than Kakegurui in the psychological aspect but fails in the variety of gambling.

I want to give it a 7 for that Tissue Box Raffle match but overall the rest is much better. 7.5→8/10 for the anime.
I thought the tissue box reason was strong one he wanted revenge because of all the shit he had to deal with and for all those that died for the old man's entertainment. It made perfect sense.

It was obvious he was going to lose but he doesn't know cause he rigged the game and look out for every possible way to ensure victory except one.
Jul 22, 2019 6:02 PM

May 2015
The crease on the paper was so obvious the moment it was first shown. I thought Kaiji would notice it before he lost his fingers. He really should have considered any possibility of cheating from the old fucker's part. Him drawing the winning lot on the second try is too convenient. Kaiji should have at least doubted it and inspect the paper.

I get that more and more despair and Kaiji at the bottom is the whole point of the anime but this last arc really sucked and the way Kaiji brought his own downfall, I hated it. I'm not sure I want to endure even more despair and I really hoped Kaiji won't have to deal with this disgusting laughing geezer ever again. He could have still lost his money, like giving them all away or these guys showing their true nature and taking it from Kaiji by force, he was betrayed by human nature already, a new reminder wouldn't have hurt. But no, it's all about evil mastermind now and revenge.

7/10 just because it was good for the most part but over the top reactions, constant crying and rediculous way it kept pushing Kaiji further into the pit really threw me off.
Jul 26, 2019 10:55 PM

Dec 2015
July 28, 2018
The conclusion reached here was the "right" one but came rather slowly.

4/5

An over-dramatized "game thriller" set in the 90s crisis. The music did a very effective suporting job.
But with a drawing style that doesn't lend itself to certain angles and movements and an overreliance on a sport commentator-like narrator, it is easy to see this was NOT made for a video format. It is also very slow. This animated series is overall a good talking book.

Score: 8/10 I want to acquire the manga (DENPA, no more delay, please?) and wonder how the movie fares in terms of time management and tension building.

DarknessReality said:
Sadly you know Kaiji will lose the overall war of each arc cause he needs to keep that debt in order for the story to continue no nevertheless it was very interesting to watch.

The mangaka found other ways. ;)
Rei_IIIAug 3, 2020 3:51 AM
Aug 5, 2019 12:27 PM
Jul 2019
I felt like the last gamble was pretty unnecessary imo. It should have ended with the E-Card battle. It was the climax of the season. The tissue box thing felt pretty anticlimax and was just put for the sake of making Kaiji stay in debt for a setup of second season.

Though it was a great anime that I kept postponing. Would definitely check the other seasons when I got time.
Aug 14, 2019 1:29 PM

Nov 2007
Not really disappointing since theres a second season. No fun if the protagonist wins all battles.
Sep 2, 2019 7:46 AM

Jul 2008
I predicted that Hyoudo removed Kaiji's paper, but I figured he removed it from the box and kept it in the palm of his hand since he showed the first paper only using his finger. I didn't think of crumbling it into a tiny ball since Kaiji didn't notice any ball.

I'l be watching the sequel for sure, and I might watch Akagi which I didn't know about before reading comments. Hopefully Kaiji becomes a little more badass in the next season. I wasn't expecting so much tears and poor decisions, even if a lot of it was justified.
Oct 20, 2019 12:30 PM

Sep 2019
He could've just stopped after getting 20M
Yet he bet everything and loose even his fingers.

This was a good. The psychological battle between people is the best. I'm kinda pissed of kaiji but it's ok

I'll give this 8/10
Nov 20, 2019 2:40 PM

Feb 2014
After realizing Kaiji was gonna lose at the end, those last episodes got pretty hard to finish for me, but overall pretty much lived up to the expectation, very intense and thrilling serie.
Nov 29, 2019 8:32 AM

Nov 2014
That last arc was really weak, but the end itself was perfect. Kaiji didn't deserve to win that, not with his cheap motivation and barely planned trick. Hpefully this experience will teach him to keep cool head.
Dec 9, 2019 5:21 PM
Jul 2018
Kaiji is the edgiest anime I've ever seen, but it is still entertaining. Berserk is a close second, and Higurashi is in the third place.
removed-userDec 9, 2019 5:25 PM
Dec 10, 2019 9:03 PM

Nov 2014
kaiji let his victory and luck get into his head, which isnt a surprise considering what he went through that night and his age and lack of life experience. of course that final boss-looking guy would be able to see through his trick/cheat. plus there's no way kaiji would be able to defeat the final boss in 3 episodes using a super simple trick. there's just no way.

also, if he had won then the author would be pro-gambling, while in reality this series is against-gambling. Kaiji still has a lot to learn and this loss is a great way for him to learn a lesson.

one reason i like kaiji the series so much is that the main character isn't OP and he doesn't always win in the end and he loses many times too even when it's a cruel life-threatening duel that if this is any other series the main character definitely wouldn't lose, kaiji would still lose because that's realistic and that's life and being the main character doesn't mean you get any special treatments

Pewdie said:
I had the feeling he'd get f-ed in the end. But I thought that was so he could learn a lesson; that gambling was bad.... guess I was wrong.

Lame anime

he did get fucked in the end
not literally of course, u know what i mean
and he learned a lesson, that he underestimated his opponent and relied on his tricks too much and need to get better at reading people and hiding his emotions and maintaining a poker face while gambling. those aren't just skills in gambling, but rather necessary skills to succeed in life. it's how you survive in this cruel world. and Kaiji learned those through life-threatening trials and errors in gambling. he knows gambling is bad, which is why he said he's gonna quit after he wins this game, but of course, no one would just quit after your opponent took your ear and four fingers away from you. revenge is necessary.
ttcchenDec 10, 2019 9:06 PM
Jan 8, 2020 5:55 AM

Mar 2015
What an ending that was.. good thing I get to move straight onto the second season! Wonder if he'll be able to stick his fingers and ear back?
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 7, 2020 12:54 PM

Jan 2017
this might actually be the greatest psychological/horror anime i've ever seen and i'm glad there's at least a second season. i hope kaiji gets his revenge on hyoudou and finds a way out of this nightmare, because he deserves a happy end. although it might take a while, since there are at least 5 more parts.

Pewdie said:

Lame anime

SMALL PP!
Apr 12, 2020 4:45 AM

Sep 2018
I'm torn between giving it an 8 or 9, the tension and intensity weren't consistent enough, plus it gradually (albeit) got worse as the series went on. Plus some episodes dragged quite a bit... 8/10, quite a thrill ride for a lot of it and I enjoyed the psychological battles throughout.
May 7, 2020 9:26 PM

Jun 2019
Probably clocking in at a 7/10, but that isn't official yet as I've decided to hold off on rating for some time.

dusty22 said:
this might actually be the greatest psychological/horror anime i've ever seen

Not a horror, but a thriller.
May 14, 2020 6:15 PM

Jan 2016
It has been years since I have seen this show and I want a 3rd season so bad. I am so bored with the tons of shit anime currently out.
Jun 3, 2020 6:56 AM

May 2018
rip Kaiji. He full on Higurashi'd himself
Jul 15, 2020 2:54 PM

Jan 2013
noo you can't cheat! haha, fingercutter goes chopchop!!!
Aug 2, 2020 1:10 PM

May 2015
Ok I can say it now. The only thing I knew about Kaiji before coming into it was that Kaiji loses some fingers at some point in the anime. So when I saw them bring out the device I was like "Ok, he's either gonna draw or completely lose".

Im surprised they ended it that way but then again if they had season 2 in mind from the start that cliffhanger makes sense. Cause if he'd won there would be no debt and no plot for season 2.

Overall a really interesting series. I definitely was interested from start to finish. Sadly you know Kaiji will lose the overall war of each arc cause he needs to keep that debt in order for the story to continue, nevertheless it was very interesting to watch.
DarknessRealityAug 3, 2020 9:40 AM
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 9, 2020 4:15 PM
Aug 2019
it was slow paced but i did love it! the gambling parts were really intense that it made me cry. Guess kaiji can't beat his meat with his left hand anymore
Aug 24, 2020 4:18 PM

Mar 2010
Kaiji honestly got what he fucking deserved in the end, which leaves me with a smile on my face. The dude bit more than he can chew and got raped.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 7, 2020 7:51 PM

Nov 2010
I thought it'd end in a cliché way, but damn I am so glad I was wrong. That ending was sad and it kinda pissed me off, but it was completely unexpected and great as well. 9/10
Nov 23, 2020 2:39 PM

Apr 2016
It’s a great series, I liked it a lot. The last two or three episodes weren’t that good but well, the other episodes were very good. I really liked Kaiji.
Dec 29, 2020 2:17 PM
Aug 2020
Is this anime censored? I guess actually showing how he lost his fingers was too much for TV?
Jan 15, 2021 9:50 AM

Aug 2018
I didn't see that coming, was expecting Kaiji to win. I laughed when he prays to kami-sama haha no way kami-sama ever grant wish for gambler.

Great show, truly delivers the thrills.
Feb 19, 2021 1:57 AM

Nov 2018
Well , that was the most anti-gambling propaganda from an anime about gambling and a great reality check for a lot of people.
Pretty predictable , but well done overall.
I don't really feel like watching 2nd season tbh.
I hate everyone equally
Apr 16, 2021 5:19 PM

Mar 2016
ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT

So ALL that build up for him to lose his fingers?? And go home with nothing!? He's back at the beginning and he learned absolutely nothing, basically with the same debt he went in with. This is so fucking frustrating, I'm definitely not cut out for this kind of anime.

But wow, what a wild ride.

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jobocan - Jan 24, 2008

83 by Coolfrog27 »»
Sep 14, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MEGATRON - Mar 23, 2008

67 by TheOtherJN »»
Sep 1, 1:56 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

playconn - Feb 8, 2008

66 by TheOtherJN »»
Aug 6, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Oct 13, 2007

87 by haysnatcher »»
Aug 1, 12:07 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by TheOtherJN »»
Jul 31, 4:03 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.