Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 1, 2008 12:41 PM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, I didn't expect that for the last episode. o_O I didn't know it would go so far.
Overall, I think that was a very good anime. I loved it, and I need to watch Akagi, now.

At least, from what the mangaka and the voice actor of Kaiji said at the very end of the episode, there will be a second season, but not before one or two years.
Apr 1, 2008 4:44 PM

Jun 2007
Although this is a decent setup for the last arc, it FAILED as a FINAL EPISODE (and I almost never use caps), which it was. The climax, compared to the last 3 arcs, was short and focused too much on the falling action and recap of what Hyodo did. I still give this series a 10 overall, but I hate this ending, which is saying something since I liked the ends of Akagi and PSME.

Normally, I would say that having the main character lose in such an extreme way was a good thing, it's just that this show has played the "critical defeat of despair" one time too many. I generally expect a more character or psychology-intense scene from the end, but all I got was a vow of revenge. This really feels like the show's halfway point, not the end.

But the other room part with the bandage and Ishida's death still rock my socks, so, as I said, 10/10.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Apr 1, 2008 9:56 PM

Oct 2007
Waah!! End of Kaiji!! Now what am I going to watch week-in, week-out...?

Ah well, as Mariem says, we are getting a second season 1 or 2 years from now - I can't wait!

While I do get where Torisunohokori is coming from, you have to remember that this is just the ending of the first series of manga - it's not intended to be the grand ending of everything, but more like a Empire Strikes Back type of ending.

Having said that I really liked the ending to Kaiji. I'd hate it if they ended the series with Kaiji winning against the chairman in what would be truly stereotypical Shounen/Hollywood fashion - i.e "the protagonist (good guy) winning all and all evil is vanquished"

I'd be really interested in hearing what everyone thought of the anime as a whole. As I said way back in episode 2 I think Kaiji is never going to be suited to everyone's tastes - it is more cult entertainment than mainstream entertainment. This is simply because, like Mushishi, Monster, Akagi etc., it is one of the few anime shows to not rely on mainstream anime elements to cover up for the boring, cliched parts of the show (i.e throwing in a loli, throw in some randomly unfunny slapstick scene or a TTGL, Naruto-esque cliche ridden battle).

It's refreshing to see an anime actually say something about the human condition and about society itself without stooping to insult the intelligence of its viewers. Oh and it features some intense gambling situations in between. It's not for everyone, but then again, what is?

I have to admit, being a fan of the manga from before the show aired I might be a little biased, but I think the animators at Madhouse did a great job in capturing the essense of the manga. My only real disappointment was that I think the Tissue Box Raffle arc could have been squeezed from 4 episodes into 3. Ah well, minor gripe I guess..

Other than that, 10/10 all the way

P.S In case you are wondering, the second and third series of manga is lot more focused on Kaiji thinking his way out of tight spots and lays off a bit on the oppressive themes about human nature featured in this series. So if you were kind of put off by the anime's world view you may like the second series more - but who knows how they are going to make it!? In any event I'm looking forward to it!!
bigjigApr 2, 2008 6:22 AM
Apr 18, 2008 6:33 PM

Nov 2007
Kaiji is over, and I still want more..

I expected this end, now just hoping for another season.
Apr 18, 2008 7:12 PM

Dec 2007
Excellent. I was so afraid of this ending, fortunately it was good one. Good in terms of quality of course, not because of our hero fate. Unfortunately for him, it was something he deserved. Kaiji lost, but not because of his (cursed) fate, but because he wasn't this time good enough (and because he didn't know his own limits).
When I cool down I reconsider giving this series a full 10, and believe me it's something I really don't do too often ;)
Apr 18, 2008 7:39 PM

Jan 2007
Opens up for a sequel, i hope we get one. Overall, it gets a 7 from me.
Apr 18, 2008 9:01 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, I really thought this episode was amazing and I was honestly shocked when the chairman pulled the winning lot because you just don't see the bad guy win like that too often in any form of entertainment. Poor Kaiji has nothing now and I can't wait to see where he goes from here. Hurry up season 2!!!!

Anyway, this series is easily a 10 from me and I would even consider calling it the best show of the entire decade so far. Everything about it was so well done and I can't ever remember a show that has drawn me so far into it's psychology and drama. When Kaiji was trembling in fear, so was I. When Kaiji was nervous, so was I. When Kaiji was overjoyed, so was I. I think you get the idea, but it just goes to show you just how special this anime and the atmosphere it created is. Series like this don't come around too often and we are lucky enough to have experienced something truly special. Kaiji is a masterpiece.

It's a shame that so many people on MAL didn't watch this. But then again, a generic mecha show is the #1 ranked anime of "all time" so what do you expect?
Apr 18, 2008 9:02 PM

Apr 2007
Damn Kaiji got played and lost big. I didn't expect the ending to be a setup for a sequel =\. I hope they do get around to animating it because I really want to see Kaiji finish what he started. Overall it was good so I also rated it 7/10.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Apr 18, 2008 9:16 PM

Jun 2007
Come to think of it...

Total # of Debtors at Starside Hotel: 60
# of those who fell on the First Bridge: 38 (severe leg injuries)
# of those who retired between the 1st and second bridge:12 (no injury or gain)
# of those who fell on the Second Bridge: 9 (death by splatter)

Leaving Kaiji, who ended the night plus 100,000 yen (currently worth less than $1000), but minus four fingers and an ear (all on his left side, interestingly enough).

Worst. Win-loss. Rate. Ever. I mean, minus the equipment costs, this entire night of sadism cost Hyodo 100,000 yen. This, as much as anything else, is ridiculous.

And, no offense to Tamer, but TTGL is a bit more than a generic mecha show.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Apr 18, 2008 9:33 PM

Oct 2007
Kaiji :(
I feel like crying.

Apr 18, 2008 9:46 PM

Oct 2007
Torisunanohokori said:

And, no offense to Tamer, but TTGL is a bit more than a generic mecha show.

Well, after watching something as masterful as Kaiji, any show like TTGL seems generic by comparison.
Apr 18, 2008 9:48 PM

Feb 2007
Torisunanohokori said:
Come to think of it...

Total # of Debtors at Starside Hotel: 60
# of those who fell on the First Bridge: 38 (severe leg injuries)
# of those who retired between the 1st and second bridge:12 (no injury or gain)
# of those who fell on the Second Bridge: 9 (death by splatter)

Leaving Kaiji, who ended the night plus 100,000 yen (currently worth less than $1000), but minus four fingers and an ear (all on his left side, interestingly enough).

Worst. Win-loss. Rate. Ever. I mean, minus the equipment costs, this entire night of sadism cost Hyodo 100,000 yen. This, as much as anything else, is ridiculous.

WOW is all I can say to that.

So it looks like Kaiji did lose, which I suppose is the better outcome. He just wasn't good enough, and his speech about how he prayed to god instead of try and get out of this tight spot was probably the reason why Ep 25 left such a bitter taste in my mouth. Overall, I loved the last episode. I can't wait for season 2: back when I started Kaiji, I thought I would forget about this one in 2 episodes. This turned out to be one hell of a rollercoaster ride. 8/10
Apr 18, 2008 10:04 PM
Aug 2007
Kaiji's going to hide in the mountains and train for ten years, then kick ass in season 2.

I do hope he actually makes money next time round.

TTGL isn't regular "generic" but impossible, curb, break, heaven etc. "generic". Which makes it awesome.
Apr 18, 2008 10:18 PM
Oct 2007
Wow.

Thin next time kaiji, hoping for luck has got nothing to do with it.

This show is the best of all my shows I've seen I think, easy 10/10
Apr 18, 2008 11:00 PM

Nov 2007
I found the actual finger cutting to be oddly anticlimactic, but then again maybe Kaiji is just that stoic... Hyougou's victory also seemed a bit contrived at first, although it's not that hard to believe he would assume Kaiji tampered with the box, and the folded lot gave him insurance in case he couldn't undo the tampering on his first turn. An inconclusive ending like this would have been disappointing under normal circumstances (I'm looking at you Akagi), but the announcement of a second season makes up for it. I was hoping for that but never actually expected it to happen.
Apr 19, 2008 12:43 AM

Aug 2007
While the lottery thing was a little anticlimactic, this series pretty much had me on the edge of my seat. Kaiji was beat this time, but he'll be back with a vengeance!
Apr 19, 2008 12:48 AM

Feb 2008
Can't believe it's over T_T
I didn't like this ending, it left everything so open. Oh well, at least this means there's going to be a 2nd season (not sure if there's been an announcement already).
Overall, I really enjoyed this series. Gets a 10/10 :D
Apr 19, 2008 2:05 AM

Sep 2007
BAD END.

The show was very good except for the lottery arc, which was incredibly terrible. I think this is the first show I've seen that had a negative ending, but I'm sure there will be a season two to correct that.

Did you know there's a Phantasy Star Club?
Apr 19, 2008 2:17 AM

Oct 2007
Well, obvious 10 from me, which makes it one of the best four shows I've ever seen.

The ending was awesome, and I'm glad they buildt up for a second season.

Yeah, everything there is to say is basically said. FUCKING EPIC.
Apr 19, 2008 3:01 AM

Jun 2007
Bigjig said:
I'd be really interested in hearing what everyone thought of the anime as a whole. As I said way back in episode 2 I think Kaiji is never going to be suited to everyone's tastes - it is more cult entertainment than mainstream entertainment

Actually, that's the reason I originally looked into Kaiji. It looked different, and I was drawn to that. And my wider range of taste paid off when Kaiji ended up being tense and deceptively deep.

And I enjoyed that Kaiji tossed in social/human commentary as a side dish to the gambling. After catching the first episode of Kaiji back in the Fall, I shuffled through Akagi and finished it in a weekend. And I know jack about Mahjong, let me tell you. Gripping, but a bit dry. It's nearly all gambling. Mind crushing veering dangerously over the chasms of Hell gambling, but the scenes not dealing directly with gambling were refreshing, and I would have liked to see more of them. Kaiji balanced this, breaking up the gambles with well executed quiet side pieces and characterization.

The Empire Strikes Back of Anime, I'll give this a strong 8 out of 10. Couple bits bugged me, holding it back from a true 9, and I tend to reserve perfect 10s for personal favorites. That said, though, I have a habit of increasing all scores a solid point if a series proves to have high replay value. If I decide to watch Kaiji again and it is just as gripping, we're moving up to a 9.
Apr 19, 2008 3:09 AM

Mar 2007
Excellent ending, Kaiji's loss was probably the best ending possible. There are way too many main characters winning in the end of anime.
I'm giving Kaiji 8/10 and I'll have to watch Akagi in a near future.
Apr 19, 2008 3:39 AM

Sep 2007
Vast improvement over the past couple of episodes. Really wasn't expecting Kaiji to lose - I'll certainly be looking forward to the second season.

That whole "Luck of the King" bullshit drew me in for a second there. I should have known better by now.
Apr 19, 2008 4:13 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
naikou said:
That whole "Luck of the King" bullshit drew me in for a second there. I should have known better

Me too, I'm glad they decided to do it this way. Very nice final episode. 8/10

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 19, 2008 5:05 AM

Jun 2007
A unusual ending to a unusual anime. In a way I wanted to see Kaiji be victorious. But on the other hand, it wouldn't fit the series. Kaiji is the ultimate survivor no the ultimate gambler or anything like that. Yea he lost a lot, but he could have ended dead. Like so many in the show. Kaiji survived. And maybe this rough lesson will mature him enough to come back with a vengeance!
Apr 19, 2008 7:11 AM

Jul 2007
Pretty good final episode.
Obviously Kaiji was too panicked to see Hyoudou's cheating, but at least he understood everything afterwards. I'll agree that he really is the ultimate survivor. Instead of dwelling in despair after his loss, he instead figured out why he lost, and found some new hope somehow.

As a whole, this anime was awesome. Kaiji is a great character. He is very close to a real human being in his thoughts and actions(although the ear part was a bit over-the-top, it's still realistic), yet he accomplishes things normal human beings couldn't.
The story was okay i guess, nothing overly spectacular but it got the job done more than well enough. The different arcs all had different feelings to them. Restricted RPS was a cool concept and seeing Kaiji trying to get plans to win all the way was cool, although in the end he failed to win, he still survived.
The Brave Men Road was something else althogether. It was completely inhuman, but quite cool in it's own way. Kaiji once again failed to win, but still survived and was able to go the the second part(don't know what to say about it, other than it was awesome >_>).
The we get E-Card. That's where the series took a turn to the awesome. Seeing Kaiji's plan in action was one of the most awesome things i've seen yet. This was the first time he "really" won, but he ended up just becoming a survivor instead of a winner.

Overall it was a great series, the tension was awesome most of the time, and it showed views of society in general that were very well made. I think this is something everyone should watch(like Akagi).

Can't wait for the sequels(considering there are 2 other Kaiji manga "series" after this one), whenever they are made.
Apr 19, 2008 7:54 AM

Mar 2008
Well, the climax part was way to simple. Not much suprises, there. You knew from the start that the chairman was cheating. There were not much possibilities for plottwists either. So the last part was way to simple for a showdown of a very good show. Reminded me of Death Note, though DN started to fail much sooner.

I also think, that this is an obvious setup to a second season, though it could end in an open way, here too.

Overall it was a pretty good, refreshing and unique show. I wanted to give a 9, but the ending made me want to give an 8.

Oh well, I will stick with the 9.
Apr 19, 2008 2:34 PM

Feb 2008
Good ending! Kaiji was stupid :))) so we can expect Kaiji 2! Great!!!
8 out of 10!
Apr 19, 2008 4:33 PM

May 2007
good anime ending of anime was bad .....
thy should make it longer if they wanted this way...
well Its not always winning and this shows how real life works ^^
“If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win.”
Apr 19, 2008 5:17 PM

Aug 2007
The best ending for Kaiji imho. Gets a 9.5/10... The final arc was really bellow the quality of E-card and E-card was a bit bellow the Brave's Men Road. Still managed to skip me some heatbeats.
Apr 20, 2008 9:28 PM

Nov 2007
Good end. Poor Kaiji ;_;

Want season 2. Or scanlators for parts 2 and 3.

No wall o' text from me.
Apr 21, 2008 9:01 AM

Aug 2007
When is the second season coming out?
Apr 21, 2008 9:34 AM

Mar 2008
lops-sama said:

We don't even know, yet, if there will be one (at least not 100%).
Apr 21, 2008 9:35 AM

Mar 2007
lops-sama said:

Hopefully never. It was a perfect ending that should not be continued.
Apr 21, 2008 10:43 AM

Jun 2007
Sobzob said:
lops-sama said:

Hopefully never. It was a perfect ending that should not be continued.

Two series to follow suit disagree with you.
Apr 21, 2008 3:56 PM
Sep 2006
OMG!! WOW! I wasn't epecting kaiji to lose.. and houdou actually gave kaiji a chance.. is there going to be a sequel to this?
Apr 22, 2008 11:55 AM
Sep 2007
8/10 was a solid anime, and it touches on allot of things that really happen in real life.
Hi
May 3, 2008 12:33 PM

Sep 2007
Im not sure wether to like or dislike the ending..
I dont want a second season though.. Kaiji doesn't have any more body parts to gamble with XD! Well he can use his 100,000 Y >_<

All I get out from the ending is that you shouldn't cheat in games :P

May 10, 2008 9:07 PM

Sep 2007
I have to say, Kaiji definitely disappointed me with this ending. While the beginning of Kaiji gave me what I wanted (a smart character he thought through his actions), it seems as if Kaiji has gotten dumber.

I always knew that he panicked when under pressure but this is too much. Isn't checking for cheating the first thing that you are supposed to do? The EXTREMELY OBVIOUS fold on the paper from when Hyoudou first showed it had me facepalming everywhere. Kaiji gets what he deserved for being retarded.

/endrant on dumb protagonists
May 29, 2008 6:19 PM

Feb 2008
I really wanted Kaiji to win. However, I felt that it wasn't going to happen, and I even put off watching the last two episodes for days because of it.

Still, this ending episode actually knocked the show up from an 8 to a 9 for me. Had Kaiji won, how would it be a satisfactory ending? The Chairman's out 100 million, but something like that would barely affect him. It's certainly no compensation for torture and murder. Instead, with this ending, we get to see the single biggest character shift in Kaiji, ironically putting him right back where he started, and the series is set up for a promising sequel, and hopefully an appropriate vengeance in the future.

Also... don't have time to confirm it right now, but do we ever see Kaiji's left hand in the ending song? Just a thought.
Aug 28, 2008 1:37 PM

Jun 2008
I'm glad he lost. it would have been dumb if he won.

I'm so glad there will be a 2nd season but I have a feeling it won't seem as good 1st. I give the first season a 8.5/10
Oct 29, 2008 7:03 AM

Feb 2008
Damn, he got fucked over.
I was expecting the ending to be a bit more... epic.
Oh well, second season confirmed for early 2009 I think? Looking forward to that.
Overall, a really good show. I give it an 8/10.
Nov 7, 2008 12:37 AM

Aug 2008
Akagi would have found a way to win
Nov 26, 2008 9:10 PM

Jan 2008
one of my favorite animes that I've seen so far

Dec 7, 2008 7:51 PM

Jul 2008
Wow sucks to be kaiji dude
Dec 9, 2008 2:51 PM

Oct 2008
Well, I am finally done after watching this in two days, and I can`t really explain how many things I liked about this show. I loved almost every part of it, nothing made me react or think that they should have changed something. And I loved the ending, since I was expecting something like he was back at home and so on, but rather we found out exactly what happened. + The thing about Hyoudou gave him an opening, was truly an epic saying from Kaiji.
Another thing I liked is...THERE IS COMING A SECOND SEASON(...?)
The date for the second season...does anybody know?

10/10

I will also pick up Akagi, since so many people recommended it, and it is the same creators and so on. Can`t wait to see that series!

EDIT: I searched through Google and so on, and I found this conformation video on youtube but..who knows.
I also went on Wikipedia and..well here it is:
Series 2

Underground Chinchiro (地下チンチロリン, Chika Chinchirorin?)

Pachinko "SWAMP" (パチンコ”沼”, Pachinko Numa?)

Series 3

Mine Field Mahjong (17 Steps Mahjong) (地雷麻雀(17歩麻雀), Jirai Majaan?)

But I guess many of you already know this by now, since I was so late in finding this show. Oh well, I am off to watch Akagi and see if that is truly good.
amavizDec 9, 2008 2:57 PM
Jan 31, 2009 8:21 PM

Jul 2008
After completing this anime, I have the sudden urge to hug Kaiji....
Feb 10, 2009 10:27 AM

Jun 2008
This was a great and a unique series. I've enjoyed it a lot.
Cant wait for season 2 and 3
Feb 12, 2009 5:46 PM

Jun 2008
Delicious. Edit: Best slice of life anime ever!

Also this show rules. Has anyone tried playing these games in real life? That's the sign of a great show. We couldn't get engineer the head-drill thingy but the card game works if you just punch each other in the balls as penalty.
hznuOct 7, 2009 7:36 PM
Mar 22, 2009 8:35 AM

Mar 2008
I had the feeling he'd get f-ed in the end. But I thought that was so he could learn a lesson; that gambling was bad.... guess I was wrong.

Lame anime
Apr 24, 2009 11:39 PM

Oct 2008
Such a sudden ending. Still a great anime and definitely one of my favorites though. 10/10 can't wait for next seasons (if they exist).
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 23, 2007

136 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 28, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.