Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 22, 2013 7:21 AM

Jul 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yes Serika!! I'm glad she discovered it. >___<

On another note, a box load of flight manuals... ah, looks difficult.

Jun 22, 2013 7:28 AM

May 2011
I'm glad they found out about Sharon's disease quickly. Many shows tend to unnecessarily drag this.
Jun 22, 2013 7:51 AM
Aug 2011
Well this condition doesn't seem so rare now does it?

The scene with the kids and Sharon spilling her drinks was hard to watch just because you could feel that something was going to happen.

Once again I feel for Mutta. He doesn't get a break and even worse now that he's swamped with manuals and studying.
Few things are worse than when you have to study for something and personal matters get in the way making it difficult to focus.

@broodo Oh nice details though with these things it's better not to point them out cause you'll be here all day lol.
I've been to the Space Center before...but it was like 8/9 years ago and I hardly remember anything. D;
standJun 22, 2013 8:09 AM
Jun 22, 2013 7:53 AM

Mar 2013
Liking that it's mostly accurate, but since I live in Houston I have to point out.
1. The ave yearly temp in Houston is 80 degrees, & it's humid.
No one would wears long sleeves here.

2. Space Center Houston uniforms are replica blue astronaut jumpsuits.

3. They use paper cups at Space Center Houston.... not glass.

4. That pizza place is in Nassau Bay.... across the street from JSC.
There are other buildings around it. Lack of proper landscape.

I could go on but I'll hold off for now.
Jun 22, 2013 8:02 AM

Jun 2012
What are you doing with my feels Space Bros!?

That scene when she was walking with the drinks.... You just knew something was gonna happen : / Only question is was that Sharon screamng after or the kids?
Jun 22, 2013 8:13 AM

Apr 2010
Great episode yet again. I am also glad they didn't drag out Sharon's illness. 5/5

Jun 22, 2013 9:23 AM

Sep 2008
I glad they noticed this so quickly!
I glad Serika is the one noticed it!

I'm looking forward for next episode!
Jun 22, 2013 9:38 AM

Sep 2008
broodo said:
Liking that it's mostly accurate, but since I live in Houston I have to point out.

You forget it's not 2013 in Space Bros, it's 2025. Things change. Maybe not the temperature, but other things do.
Jun 22, 2013 10:47 AM

Nov 2010
MM-Rosiie said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yes Serika!! I'm glad she discovered it. >___<
Though the question is did she discover it in time.

parfaited said:

The scene with the kids and Sharon spilling her drinks was hard to watch just because you could feel that something was going to happen.
I was thinking the same thing. I think surprisingly I have found a show that relies on luck more than One Piece.

You could just tell, same with the glass on the plane and the handshake.
Though I am glad that she discovered, I too am glad they didn't drag it.

And isn't the cure for that have to do with space or something like that? That's why Serika wanted to be an astronaut, to cure the ilness her father had? So if they find that they caught it early, then it's possible for Serika to go to space to find the cure to help her. Add that with Mutta wanting to build that telescope for her then you have the setup that they need. Helping a dying astronomer live and see her dream while proving to the world that going out into space is needed.
Jun 22, 2013 11:09 AM

Apr 2012
Oh man, that Serika twist. Sharon ;_;

IntroverTurtle said:
parfaited said:
I was thinking the same thing. I think surprisingly I have found a show that relies on luck more than One Piece.
Not sure I'd call it luck, more like dramatization, because here it just saves time/gives more impact. And it's been in the show since the beginning.
EratiKJun 22, 2013 12:15 PM
Jun 22, 2013 11:18 AM

Nov 2010
EratiK said:
Oh man, that Serika twist. Sharon ;_;

IntroverTurtle said:
parfaited said:
Not sure I'd call it luck, more dramatization, and it's been in the show since the beginning.
Well maybe I don't understand dramatization completey but wouldn't that be like dramatizing a scene, like the slow motionness of her fall and seeing them get closer and closer to bumping into her? While I'm talking about the lucky breaks they always seem to find when Mutta notices the clok on the bus, or wakes up in the middle of the night to see someone breaking the clock, or after just having dropped a glass having a couple of kids knock into her, each problem in the show happens right after the other no time for break,etc. And I know it's been there the whole time, I just realized now that it might do it more than One Piece collectively or more concentratedly and I've always thought that One Piece did it a lot..
Jun 22, 2013 11:33 AM

Apr 2012
Yes, dramatization is for scenes, but also for plot, like if I'm the writer and I have a sick character, I could either just tell the audience in a dialogue or show it by making the character trip and such. And in Space Bros they often choose the most dramatic option (another meaning of dramatization: make more dramatic).
Jun 22, 2013 11:38 AM

Nov 2010
EratiK said:
Yes, dramatization is for scenes, but also for plot, like if I'm the writer and I have a sick character, I could either just tell the audience in a dialogue or show it by making the character trip and such. And in Space Bros they often choose the most dramatic option (another meaning of dramatization: make more dramatic).
So then for Uchuu Kyoudai. Can I say that they are dramatizing the plot by making them have so many lucky breaks?
Jun 22, 2013 11:42 AM

Apr 2012
I think so, yes. Really, it's typical of dramas/telenovelas/dorama; in a way that's what makes Space Bros so good.
Jun 22, 2013 12:08 PM

Nov 2010
I agree, it really reminds me of real tv shows. But I guess that's part of what makes it so good, using the animation medium to show a mostly realistic story. It doesnt' have the same restrictions a real tv show would have.
Jun 22, 2013 2:13 PM

Oct 2011
OMG Sharon has the same disease as Serika's father. I knew that doctor couldn't find it.

Please Serika save her T_____T
Jun 22, 2013 2:59 PM

May 2010
such a dramatic episode. im kinda glad serika discovered even tho i expected it to be MS.
Jun 22, 2013 3:12 PM

Sep 2008
One of Serika goal is find medicine for disease on which ​​father died, right?
Jun 22, 2013 3:26 PM

Nov 2011
LittleStar said:

Yeah, this crossed my mind, if sharon dies she'll be even more determined.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jun 22, 2013 3:27 PM

Nov 2010
LittleStar said:
Yup and I believe the only way to find that cure is to experiment in space. Think it might be about the final goal of the story? Serika saving her and Mutta making her telescope.
Jun 22, 2013 3:56 PM

Jan 2011
I don't think we're talking about MS here since that is uncommon, rather than rare as a disease. (She's also a little older than the typical age at which it first presents.) It's more likely to be a nastier degenerative neurological disease similar to ALS. The arm tap test Serika did is somewhat like a physical test done during a neurological exam. (Note: my doctorate isn't medical so don't give this diagnosis too much weight.)

I think this also indicates that even relatively minor points in the characters' back stories may reappear in UK so considering Hibito's and Mutta's encounter I'm fully expecting space aliens at some point. (Just so long as they don't have big breasts and cat ears...)
rodacJun 22, 2013 4:00 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jun 22, 2013 4:30 PM

Aug 2008
I already feel like crying by the end of this episode, I love Sharon so much and thinking what Mutta, Hibito and also Serika has to go through... :(

And, just at the worst moment, when Mutta has a test in 3 days... ><
Jun 22, 2013 5:19 PM

Mar 2013
I'm torn. I love this show, but at 1st I was mad cause the pace was so slow to say the least. Now I actually want them to draw out the stories more. Nitta's brother. Pico. Sharon.

That said. no no noooooooo. Not Sharon. The same disease.

Didn't it take a year or so for her dad to die once her was bed ridden/permanent hospital admittance?
Jun 22, 2013 8:48 PM

Jan 2011
Something like that. It's not like Hollywood disease so a good proportion of people filing right-to-die lawsuits are ALS sufferers.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jun 23, 2013 1:04 AM

Jun 2010
Wow, that's a great twist.
Jun 23, 2013 2:54 AM

Jan 2008
Good thing the disease was diagnosed early. Yey Serika! I hope this won't turn into a tragedy. -__-
Jun 23, 2013 5:48 AM
Jun 23, 2013 7:54 AM

Nov 2010
Arachnicus said:
Good thing the disease was diagnosed early. Yey Serika! I hope this won't turn into a tragedy. -__-
You think it was found early, there's no evidence of that.
Jun 23, 2013 8:39 AM

Jul 2009
This episode kinda confirmed that it's the early stages of ALS. It's a pretty drawn-out disease and ends with respiratory functions shutting down. Next episode is gonna be a merciless tearjerker
Check out my eurobeat guide. Who knows, you might find yourself a new favourite genre!
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=738669
Jun 23, 2013 1:00 PM

Jul 2012
It's first episode in a while that drag out so much.
Jun 23, 2013 2:17 PM

Apr 2009
too many feels, auntie sharon please be well ;____; i don't want her to die.
ohohoho~~
Jun 23, 2013 5:23 PM

Jul 2010
broodo said:

Uhm, thanks. That's pretty interesting.
Anyway, my feels are ready.
Jun 23, 2013 9:50 PM

Mar 2009
Damn. So, it's the same disease that Serika's father had. That's too bad. =(

Let's hope Sharon hangs on in time for Mutta to reach the moon and Serika to come up with a cure. How long did Serika's father have the disease before he died?
Jun 23, 2013 11:31 PM

Nov 2011
Aw man, poor Sharon. Poor Serika as well, not only losing her father, but a possible chance of losing someone she's looked up to since childhood.

Now the question remains how long has she been sick with this and how much time does she have. Serika needs to go to space to find a cure quick!

or perhaps, the telescope and the cure will be like a way for them to honor her or like a "parting" gift. If they don't make it in time.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jun 24, 2013 12:06 AM

Oct 2011
My feelings are not ready for what's coming in the next few weeks.

P.S.:I hope this Sharon arc could build Mutta's & Serika's realtionship.I want some more fuel for my MuttaXSerika ship (hope I didn't piss anyone off).
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Jun 24, 2013 8:48 AM

Oct 2010
no aunt Sharon :________:
Jun 24, 2013 12:03 PM

May 2011
Woah, what extraordinary luck with Serika there. I do hope that detecting it now means something can be done rather than it allowing for only their goodbyes. D:
Jun 24, 2013 9:18 PM

Jul 2012
Konik said:
broodo said:

You forget it's not 2013 in Space Bros, it's 2025. Things change. Maybe not the temperature, but other things do.

Actually doesn't Serika want togo to space to discover a cure for this? Wasn't this her driving force to become an astronaut to cure he father illness.
Jun 26, 2013 12:49 PM

Jun 2011
i am so glad the recaps are done with and i wold like to hope that this series will just continue on and on and on. :3 because that would be great. :D i love this show more and more with every episode. i am beyond relieved that nothing serious is going to happen to a character that i actually care about. still i know it'll be heartbreaking to watch mutta's sad facial expressions. XP it was definitely the right thing for amanti to do and tell mutta. the scene with the glass drinks was intense and like most everyne has mentioned hard to watch. :\ poor bitch.
Jun 26, 2013 10:24 PM

Aug 2009
Ziljun said:
This episode kinda confirmed that it's the early stages of ALS. It's a pretty drawn-out disease and ends with respiratory functions shutting down. Next episode is gonna be a merciless tearjerker

Yeah, pretty much. ALS is that type of disease that is progressive. No one knows what the cause of it is, be it infection or whatnot. And yeah, it was already hinted in the previous episode, but the finger tapping test pretty much confirmed it. Depending on how the disease has progressed in Sharon, she'll have single-digit years to live.

*sigh* man, ALS happens to the best of people, the first diagnosed IRL being Lou Gehrig (hence why they sometimes call it that). Sharon is such a great character too. And Amanti did foreshadow what's to come so...brace yourselves ladies and gentlemen. ;__;
Jun 27, 2013 7:13 AM

Oct 2012
Damn... another great episode.

I hope there is nothing happen with Sharon. :(
Jun 27, 2013 7:01 PM

Mar 2009
dietmango said:
Depending on how the disease has progressed in Sharon, she'll have single-digit years to live.

I guess that won't be enough time for Serika to find a cure then. =(
Jun 28, 2013 12:49 AM

Aug 2009
Mormegil said:
dietmango said:
Depending on how the disease has progressed in Sharon, she'll have single-digit years to live.

I guess that won't be enough time for Serika to find a cure then. =(

It pains me to say, but most likely not. And to add to that, they have mentioned that the International Space Station will be out of service and will eventually crash down, burn up in the Earth's atmosphere around 2027 (the show right now is at 2026 I believe). So by the time Serika makes it to space, the ISS will no longer be there. And even with the possibility of a higher chance of finding cures, how long will it actually take? Will there actually be a cure?

It sucks, I know. :'(
Jul 7, 2013 9:27 AM

Jul 2009
Oh gosh ... poor Sharon! D: I'm glad Serika found out and told her to go to the hospital again but man, must be tough seeing the same thing she did with her dad ... >_< It doesn't look very good for her ...
Studying for 3 days how to fly a plane and then a test?! That's crazy! O_O Plus lol @ Hibito's entrance into the restaurant XD Glad to see he's feeling better though ...
Oh crap seriously, it doesn't look like there's been a cure yet since that's what Serika wants to do ... not to mention it's a pretty rare disease. Hope everything turns out okay D:
Aug 23, 2013 6:33 PM

Feb 2011
Is this some kind of disease that strikes only people involved with space ? LOL
Aug 23, 2013 6:34 PM

Jun 2007
UnbornMVs said:

Serika's dad had nothing to do with space whatsoever, he was a biologist.
Aug 24, 2013 1:45 AM

Aug 2009
UnbornMVs said:

It can pretty much strike anyone at any given time. Nobody knows the real cause of ALS at this point, whether it's caused by infection via virus, genetics, or whatever. It just happens, and once you get it, you are helpless to even stop it from progressing.

Well, unless you're Stephen Hawking, that is.
Oct 25, 2013 7:49 PM
Jan 2013
I knew it! I knew it as soon as I saw her phone again in the leader. She has the same thing Serika's father did.

So glad Serika was there to tell.

Poor Serika. I almost cried, even though I saw it coming, with all the flashbacks to her childhood, when she had to tell Sharon to see a neurologist.

ARGH! The cliffhangers!
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Jul 30, 2014 4:42 PM

Nov 2011
Damn it, the death flags...

Poor Serika as well. She meets her idol and this is the first conversation she's had with her and it turned out to be like this.
Nov 12, 2014 10:57 AM

Nov 2011
I wasn't quite expecting it to be the same disease Serika's father had, but it fits the tone of the series.

I feel bad for Sharon and Serika. :/
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kurini - Feb 2, 2013

150 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 16 Discussion

thunderrain - Jul 14, 2012

41 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 21, 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.