Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 7, 2015 12:03 AM

Mar 2012
I don't really see there being a lack of backstory or that it goes against everything in Zeta, as someone mentioned here, in Zeta they had a common enemy, they weren't close at all and i never got that vibe at all. If you pay attention to the story more if anything Char was using his time with the Argama to push his agenda for humanity to abandon the Earth, not to become friends with them and Amuro. I suspect he probably realized that simply without taking matters drastically into his own hands it wasn't going to happen, which leads to the radical Char in this movie.

Anyway, that was just my take, the biggest downside to this movie is the introduction of useless characters, though I will admit, Quess killing her father and then her death was pretty awesome, but man, I've never screamed YES SHE FUCKING DIED louder at my screen before when she was shot down. Hathaway, killing Chan was a pointless death, but it was still pretty epic. I just think the shittiest part is that's it for the Amuro/Char saga....one of the best rivalries I've seen in any anime.
9/10 for me

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 27, 2015 10:01 AM

Aug 2013
Incredibly underwhelming thanks for ruining all of char's development in zeta
huh
Aug 18, 2015 4:49 PM

Feb 2015
Excepting Char's out of character changes I think this was a really great movie.
Sep 16, 2015 1:26 AM

Aug 2013
Quess and Hathaway were horrible. They made me want to tear my hair out. What was the point of them being in this movie.

I didn't like how they portrayed Char either. He was better off dying in Gundam Zeta. The whole Amuro/Char story was finished. Stop bringing them back because they're popular. You'll just run them into the ground.
Sep 22, 2015 12:16 PM

Aug 2013
Pretty good overall, I would've preferred the film to focus more on Char and Amuro. The final battle was pretty awesome and the action in this film was top notch, and it wouldn't be U.C Gundam without Psychoframes,newtypes and flashing mind lights.
Dec 15, 2015 9:27 AM
Dec 2015
I really liked the movie, but my criticisms are similar to the rest.

The Good:

- Char Vs. Amuro (Sazabi Vs, Nu Gundam)

- Presentation, it holds up pretty damn well in today's standards.

- The action/fights. There were a lot of them and they really did a great job of keeping me hooked.

The Bad:

- Boring Hathaway and Annoying Quess.-- I was waiting for her to die at any moment and the movie granted my wish.

- Lack of backstory. How the hell is Char the leader of Neon-Zeon all of a sudden?

- No Kamille, Judau, or even Sayla. Would have been nice to see them at least see some form of appearance.

Overall, CCA is great movie with some flaws. In my opinion it was worth the watch.
Dec 17, 2015 3:45 PM

Nov 2012
I really wasn't fond of this movie for the most part (even disliking more than ZZ in a few aspects).
JizzyHitler said:
This movie was way too rushed for its own good, too much info dumping and character just showed up to die before you got to know anything about them, char felt massively out of character. The action was good and it was entertaining but it had issues to be honest. It feels really disappointing cause this could had been amazing but it feels like it fell really short.
^This

Pros:
-Animation
-Amuro vs Char's battle/rivalry (never get tired of these two going at it)

Cons:
-Pacing (by far the biggest issues of this film)
-Char feeling out of character
-Quess being a newtype (her first time in space...suddenly she's a newtypes when they were suppose to have developed after years of being in space)
-Quess/Gyunei one-sided romantic subplot
-Hathaway's character
-Hathaway killing Chan (quite possibly the stupidest moment in Gundam thus far imo,even Katz wasn't this stupid)
-Neo Zeons helping Amuro stop the Axis

Overall 5/10.
May 27, 2016 11:56 AM

Dec 2015
Beautiful, spectacular finale. I would have prefer Yasuhiko to come back as the chara-designer instead of keeping the one who worked on ZZ.

But it was way too short to treat all the (larger or more personal) subjects this movie wanted to develop. In other words, it was pretty messy. And this movie being based on an already written book, I hope I will be able to read it (even if I can already foresee how horrible the writing could be) because it probably features everything the animation could only fly over.

One thing I was fearing: to see Beltorchika again, as Amuro's woman. I am pretty glad it did not happen. Though, Beltorchika's presence would have been justified, while Chan is pretty much useless and is nothing more than void trying to fill Amuro's girl slot.

9-/10
Still, a 5/5 for enjoyment.

PS: to those who said Char should have wore a mask in this movie, isn't Casval Rem Deikun a mask here? (like Quattro Bajeena's persona was partially a mask back in Zeta)

edit @jasonvorheas24 : I thought Chess was here to:
- share the young outsider point-of-view role with Hathaway,
- be a callback to Lalah. Not a 100% copy/paste of course, due to the difference in personality. Back then, Char was already exploiting anyone, included young girls, to realize his scheme but there was more than just that with his "protégé". Opposed to that, you have the current Char, as manipulative as ever, but using Lalah's "equivalent" far more coldly.
(sorry, not implying you are stupid)

@SakurasouBusters
flaws: no explanation as to why Char suddenly became super evil again and the character of Quess

Most people would like you to add Hathaway as a flaw. (they would also probably think you should label all those things as "big flaws")
Why did you think Char "suddenly became super evil again" rather than that being yet another step in a rather logical progression (or lack of in certain domains) for the character from pre-0079 to 0093 ?
About Quess, I guess you didn't adhere to the call-back? maybe you thought Hathaway was enough for the external point-of-view? I think she was an interesting teenager in the way she needed to cling to any kind of support (first she ran away with the hippies group, then she looks up to a war hero then she ends up as a super weapon for a relatively magnetic leader with family issues), depending on them far more than Zeta's teenagers.
I am also wondering what you saw in Chan.

@CodeBlazeFate I know you highly despise this movie but, can we really accuse it to have "no backstory at all"?
ezaya said:
I hope they fix this storyline. No backstory at all.

But, don't we already know very well their backstory? We know how Amuro, initially an egoistic and socially awkward young guy left on his own by his father, decided to take actions himself and become a man of war in necessity, how the unstable Char kept jumping from Monte-Cristo wannabe to illuminated guru's heir to rightous mentor (in appearance at least) while always advancing his personal agenda (and often bragging since Texas colony about humainity being the curse of the Earth), and that none was able to let go of Lalah (especially Char who totally forgot his family feud in answer to Lalah's death) etc...
And then the civil war, the Neo Zeon conflict etc, Char got even more disillusioned (and his grudge over Lalah never died). If you want "more" of Char's mind, there is a special event out there where the voice of Char narrated the history from 0079 to 0093 from Char's point-of-view. Not really useful because we have everything we need in 0079, Zeta, ZZ and this movie to get the characters but it can always be an interesting bonus.

By the way, when the producers asked Tomino to animate his novel ending of Gundam, he did "fix" it in order to make it more connected to the anime chronology. He wrore a new take on the story, that was refused by the higher ups in favour of what you saw here. Then he wrote his scenario into a full novel called Beltorchika's Children.

October 18, 2018
Hicham_Kiy said:
I just want to say one thing. Mamoru Oshii liked this movie. This man normally don't like anything.

Mind to give me the interview? (I would love to readi it ^^)

@Hicham_Kiy Oh, right ! The V Gundam interview ! I have put it in my ressources blog but forgot this anecdote was mentioned. ^^"

July 2, 2019
@BlossomBurst It'sthe culmination of Char's character evolution, of his rivalry with the original hero and the (hopeful) finale of a series of wars. The minimum requirement for it to "affect" you would be the theatrical trilogy (or the better refined, perfected version: the manga THE ORIGIN) and Zeta (as Char plays a major role in it, with a reversed situation). A good synopsis of ZZ's major events would be a plus, since it concludes Zeta's problematic ending, leads to CCA's geopolitical situation and partially explains Char's behaviour (although he's absent from this third series).

But if you're here only for the eyes feast, you can just press PLAY.

July 6, 2020
@St0rmblade
- Earth's resilience was indeed what he thought about. At the same time, did he really think his public plan's final move would actually happen? I'm not sure about it, seeing his focus on Amuro and the Lalah trauma (or rather his origin trauma).
- I remember watching a 2hours film (both as rip and as official broadcast over gundam.info)
- Mmmh, CGI funnels? DOn't break my opinion on the film, please = More seriously, would you mind giving me the timestamps for examples? (if I start scrolling through the film, I'll just watch it once again... I'm THAT intoxicated)
- I always thought the deaths were clear, and the time management around them seemed pretty effective (got the idea across while sparing time, and avoiding the shock effect F91 would be later famous for). Especially for Astonaige, I loved how the film didn't spend time on it, killing it without any regret nor ceremony after we spend so much time with him around.
- there was even a theatrical tour of the film through the United States a few months ago if I remember well ! (and yes, even without more pixels, those two films look astonishing)
- ?
- They're dead (officially "missing in actions" but obviously dead, not sure if we need to see their robots or themselves burning/trampled to know it).
Beltorchika's Children is a manga, adapted from a novel Tomino made out of the screenplay he wrote when his "bosses" asked him to produce an adaptation of his previously released light novel High Streamer. He made it so it would be more "connected" to the anime continuity but it was refused. Less duration contraints lead the manga adaptation of this novel to be slightly more detailed (lines of dialog directly stating things you could infere through the film, a few "seconds" added to several scenes making the actions or dialogs sound more logical, although there's a bit more of weird Tomino dialog sequences too) than CCA is. On the other hand, there's the drawing that succeeds in looking less appealing than animated drawings. And since it's still mainly two battlefields, getting less sexy action scenees is slightly sad. Final thing: with all the tweaks or entirely new models (sayonara Sazabi, hello Nightingale q-p), the manga was clearly made to sell gunpla... So... good complement if you can read it quickly and not too long after the film, but not a good substitute in my eyes.
- double yeah !

It's funny to read about your reception because while I was also glued to the screen, loving every inch of drawing I was seeing and all, thanks to the spectacular / grand side of it and the technical feat of the animation/drawing, I was glued to the two characters, their actions , their words. I was never a fan of Char (Amuro girl for ever, sorry) but I loved to go through all of their past history and to meet them back here. I think the expected emotional charge of the film is partially born out of living with them all of what came before (especially Amuro and Bright, since the original White Base characters have the chance to be in the only part where you get to be attached to them). Moreover, there's some sort of emotional tie between the audience and the universe / situation? that we saw unfold up to this (unavoidable?) moment. Finally, the last moment, opting for hope rather than the other available option, after all we've been living through since 0079's conclusion, leads to a certain intense release. I don't know how to describe it, but I was more or less crying at the end (and not only for Amuro's death). Apart from the last Encounters in Space scene (Amuro running away, connecting, and the shot of everyone back together), it was certainly the only time in this saga I felt this kind of huge "impact".

Chen is more of a slot filler than anything else: Tomino wanted Beltorchika (errgh) to be there for the film to go better with the animated saga. It would also have made it better by having an already characterized character (even though she kinda changed a bit after all those years).

If you get new other ressources that I hven't listed, please share them with me. ^^

St0rmblade said:
For funnels, see e.g. 1:06:55, Char deploys them after he shoots down a rocket, the camera movement is so 3D. Maybe I'm just dumb and it's easy to move camera like this while animating on cels

You're not dumb, simply used too much to today's animation, I guess. I checked and am pretty sure this kind of movement can be made with this time's technology. I've encountered it a few times (most often in theatrical releases) and always thought its rarity (and the usual shortness of such sequences) was due to the complexity of it. No idea how it is made but I imagine a simple camera movement isn't enough and it is supported by the artists/animators having to draw pictures from different "angles". (I'm probably all wrong though xD)

I was actually on the verge of crying at the depart scene, even though I had still hopes for Amuro's return (while I was fully aware that Char was doomed, considering his behaviour). ^^"

The ghostlightning blog is indeed interesting, I already stumbled upon it a few years ago. Thanks for the additional URLs.

Sorry, the interrogation mark was only to point out the fact that I am not 100% sure of it even though it appeared to me like that. (Remember how Char willingly waited for Amuro to board the Nu to duel him with funnels, along the fact that the blueprints for this technology were miraculously leaked to the Federation)
Beyond the Lalah incident, we can imagine the trauma is greater and older than that, since he was looking after a mother as he admits, encompassing his mother's death (that's where I think Yasuhiko did a great job with his "origin chapters"). While I like that he mentioned Sayla in his final moments in the "B.C." manga, I think giving entirely the Lalah/mother final line up wasn't a good idea.

PS: F91 and Victory, the nearest next Tomino works that are taking place in the following big era (where the Jupiter forces mentioned at times have grown into something else) are very nice additions (one for its visual, the other for the counterpoint it offers to this finale plus Tomino's experiments in several domains) and strongly increase, I think, the impact of Tomino's big epilogue, Turn A. I hope you get the chance to enjoy all of those titles . ^^

PPS: I'm surprised you didn't mention Nanai's voice. ;)

June 22, 2021
@Valyrian1124 Thank you.
About Nanai, one more way you can linnk her to Haman: they share the same comedian.
Rei_IIIJun 22, 2021 1:00 PM
May 30, 2016 11:56 AM

Oct 2010
RPGX_Omega said:
I get REALLY SICK OF CHARACTERS SURVIVING IN SPACE WITHOUT THEIR "Normal" SUITS ON. Quess has no PROTECTION AT ALL. and was just fine like wtf.

"In reality, however, animal experiments and human accidents have shown that people can likely survive exposure to vacuum conditions for at least a couple of minutes."
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/

"So, it was possible for astronaut David Bowman in '2001: A Space Odyssey' to survive when he ejected from the space pod into the airlock without a space helmet and repressurized the airlock within 30 seconds."
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question540.htm

Beatnik said:
If a human goes into outer space with no protection, won’t they freeze to death or something?

"What about the frostbite? That's actually the least plausible result of Sunshine's suitless spacewalk. The cold wouldn't cause Mace too much harm in just 15 seconds, even if he encountered the very lowest temperatures in space. That's because heat leaves the body very slowly in a vacuum. The more likely damage would be a 'space hickey'—caused from the swelling and bursting of the skin's small blood vessels—which would look more like the effects of freeze-drying a wart than a case of frostbite."
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2007/08/can_you_survive_in_space_without_a_spacesuit.html

Conclusion: There's a lot of stupid in Gundam, but more in other areas than this.

Did Tomino have a fetish for dumb Romeo & Juliet teens killing and dying for their daft crushes?
Jun 1, 2016 2:23 AM

Apr 2013
Although many of the UC fans were very eager to see the conclusion of "Amuro vs Char conflict" the build up for this final showdown was handled quite poorly. And this is another reason for hating the ZZ even more for not giving a damn.
The cannon fodder characters didn't make it any better for the only thing they managed to do is eating up the precious screen time when all you want to see is Char and Amuro duking it out.
Jul 25, 2016 12:48 AM

Dec 2009
It's so awesome that they brought back the 0079 dub cast back for this one.

Anyways, I really liked CC because it felt like I was watching an authentic Gundam again. Not to take any potshots at ZZ but ZZ felt too much like a typical 80s action anime for me to get into the mood. Only towards the end did I feel like ZZ was good. This movie though had me hooked all throughout.

It sucks that Char had to be the bad guy again. I really liked it when he and Amuro were fighting side by side.
Jul 27, 2016 9:50 AM

Jan 2014
CCA might turn out to be the first Gundam title I've ever felt so conflicted about. I can't believe how impressed and at the same time how disappointed I am in this movie.

On the one hand, it was a feast for the eyes and ears; the visibly high production values really help convey the epic scale of the battle between the Neo Zeon and the Earth Federation forces, and the musical score is remarkable and evokes and certain nostalgia that a Gundam newbie such as myself shouldn't normally feel for a franchise she only discovered a mere two years ago. The conclusion to Char and Amuro's lifelong rivalry was spectacular beyond words, and all the MS joining the Nu Gundam in a collective effort to push back Axis got me teary-eyed. Amuro remained true to himself from start to finish and refused to deviate from the path he set himself on back in Zeta.

On the other hand, it contained everything I despise about Gundam and then some. The obligatory nonsensical Newtype female whose only goal is to latch onto the first charismatic male she stumbles across, exhibited as a shining example of Tomino's deep-seated issues with women; the obligatory useless love-triangle where at least one third of it doesn't even know the triangle existed in the first place; typical EFF stupidity, selling Char the very weapon he swore to destroy the Earth with; Hathaway channelling Katz's interstellar idiocy and fucking killing a friendly MS who was trying to save his bum ass; freaking Astonaige getting killed off like it was nothing; no mention of any character from the previous installments, complete absence of proper context and backstory for the events of the movie etc. etc. etc.

But the one thing I'm most definitely disappointed about was Char's character. While we can infer how the man from Zeta turned into the Neo Zeon leader from CCA, the holes the audience has to fill themselves are simply too big and the change in character too radical to be left unexplained. Context was needed, and it wasn't provided. We knew from Zeta that Char's heart always bled for the Spacenoids whom the EFF leaders back on Earth were keeping under control without ever trying to understand their plight, and that he publicly spoke out against the corruption within the government more than once. But we also know that his experience within the AEUG forces helped him grow as a person: being in proximity with younger people allowed him to realize his own past mistakes and to mature by elevating himself above the man that he used to be, at least that's how I saw it. Which is why many people (including myself) agree that Quattro Vagina was an upgraded version of Char Aznable. And if he ever felt grudge towards Amuro about Lalah, then he did a pretty damn god job at hiding it.
While watching CCA however, I felt that none of his progression in Zeta mattered: he might have as well been the same man from after the end of the One Year War who spent seven years ruminating about the loss of his Newtype girlfriend somewhere in a corner of the galaxy before reclaiming his true name and reforming Zeon to get back at those silly Earthlings and Amuro. In that sense it does feel like either some kind of alternate sequel to 0079, or a complete character regression. I mean, what is it that would've pushed Quattro-tai to adopt the exact same extremist views and policies as Hamaan Karn herself (a woman he despised), or to suddenly become so obsessed with Lalah when everything in Zeta seemed to suggest that he had properly grieved and moved on? That I don't know, because the movie never bothered to tell me.

All-in-all, I felt that there was potential for a timeless masterpiece somewhere in there, and in a way I think it kinda was (the last 20 minutes or so were probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen from a Gundam work). But its shitting on almost everything that came before it, the complete absence of contextualisation and its messy and disappointing treatment of one of the most important figures of the franchise among other things prevent it from surpassing the original series in my opinion.

I won't give it a score, because I don't think I can.
SapewlothFeb 5, 2017 2:32 PM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Apr 1, 2017 9:38 PM

Jan 2014
I enjoined the movie a lot, but I have to say Quess and Brights dumbass son ruin this movie. Like why must every Gundam have some new newtype female that is overly clingy to one of the main characters and make the most irrational decisions ever. Like uggggrrhhh this movie would be soooo much better without Quess.
Not to mention Hatheway just murdered Chan Like wtf. This movie would be an 8 or 9 but because of Quess and Hatheway its like a 7 or 6.
jasonvorheas24Apr 2, 2017 6:29 AM
Jun 18, 2017 9:34 AM

Jun 2013
I know that a lot of people arent the fondest of this movie, but besides two minor flaws which were first, no explanation as to why Char suddenly became super evil again and the character of Quess! I know Tomino has a bit of a reputation for creating weak and useless female characters, but this was ridiculous, especially when you see the other new female character in this movie, who was surprisingly a very good character... That being Chan!

Regardless i enjoyed the final battle and i overall though this was a solid movie and a great end to the U.C.

9/10
Jun 18, 2017 12:11 PM

Jun 2013
Rei366 said:
Beautiful, spectacular finale. I would have prefer Yasuhiko to come back as the chara-designer instead of keeping the one who worked on ZZ.

But it was way too short to treat all the (larger or more personal) subjects this movie wanted to develop. In other words, it was pretty messy. And this movie being based on an already written book, I hope I will be able to read it (even if I can already foresee how horrible the writing could be) because it probably features everything the animation could only fly over.

One thing I was fearing: to see Beltorchika again, as Amuro's woman. I am pretty glad it did not happen. Though, Beltorchika's presence would have been justified, while Chan is pretty much useless and is nothing more than void trying to fill Amuro's girl slot.

9-/10

PS: to those who said Char should have wore a mask in this movie, isn't Casval Rem Deikun a mask here? (like Quattro Bajeena's persona was partially a mask back in Zeta)

- be a callback to Lalah. Not a 100% copy/paste of course, due to the difference in personality. Back then, Char was already exploiting anyone, included young girls, to realize his scheme but there was more than just that with his "protégé". Opposed to that, you have the current Char, as manipulative as ever, but using Lalah's "equivalent" far more coldly.

@SakurasouBusters
flaws: no explanation as to why Char suddenly became super evil again and the character of Quess

Most people would like you to add Hathaway as a flaw. (they would also probably think you should label all those things as "big flaws")
Why did you think Char "suddenly became super evil again" rather than that being yet another step in a rather logical progression (or lack of in certain domains) for the character from pre-0079 to 0093 ?
About Quess, I guess you didn't adhere to the call-back? maybe you thought Hathaway was enough for the external point-of-view? I think she was an interesting teenager in the way she needed to cling to any kind of support (first she ran away with the hippies group, then she looks up to a war hero then she ends up as a super weapon for a relatively magnetic leader with family issues), depending on them far more than Zeta's teenagers.

Just differing opinions i guess? Quess i felt was poorly written and whiny, and you forget I loved Zeta.. Its in my top 10 anime as a matter of fact, so i disagree there...But again this is all just my opinion
When it comes to Chan, i just think she was a fun character, Sort of like a mix of some other previous character, She wasnt a complete bad-ass like Sayla or Emma, but she could hold her own in battle, and all that she was sweet and i thought her and amuro were kind of sweet.
Sep 7, 2017 7:22 PM
Jun 2010
Sapewloth said:
CCA might turn out to be the first Gundam title I've ever felt so conflicted about. I can't believe how impressed and at the same time how disappointed I am in this movie.

On the one hand, it was a feast for the eyes and ears; the visibly high production values really help convey the epic scale of the battle between the Neo Zeon and the Earth Federation forces, and the musical score is remarkable and evokes and certain nostalgia that a Gundam newbie such as myself shouldn't normally feel for a franchise she only discovered a mere two years ago. The conclusion to Char and Amuro's lifelong rivalry was spectacular beyond words, and all the MS joining the Nu Gundam in a collective effort to push back Axis got me teary-eyed. Amuro remained true to himself from start to finish and refused to deviate from the path he set himself on back in Zeta.

On the other hand, it contained everything I despise about Gundam and then some. The obligatory nonsensical Newtype female whose only goal is to latch onto the first charismatic male she stumbles across, exhibited as a shining example of Tomino's deep-seated issues with women; the obligatory useless love-triangle where at least one third of it doesn't even know the triangle existed in the first place; typical EFF stupidity, selling Char the very weapon he swore to destroy the Earth with; Hathaway channelling Katz's interstellar idiocy and fucking killing a friendly MS who was trying to save his bum ass; freaking Astonaige getting killed off like it was nothing; no mention of any character from the previous installments, complete absence of proper context and backstory for the events of the movie etc. etc. etc.

But the one thing I'm most definitely disappointed about was Char's character. While we can infer how the man from Zeta turned into the Neo Zeon leader from CCA, the holes the audience has to fill themselves are simply too big and the change in character too radical to be left unexplained. Context was needed, and it wasn't provided. We knew from Zeta that Char's heart always bled for the Spacenoids whom the EFF leaders back on Earth were keeping under control without ever trying to understand their plight, and that he publicly spoke out against the corruption within the government more than once. But we also know that his experience within the AEUG forces helped him grow as a person: being in proximity with younger people allowed him to realize his own past mistakes and to mature by elevating himself above the man that he used to be, at least that's how I saw it. Which is why many people (including myself) agree that Quattro Vagina was an upgraded version of Char Aznable. And if he ever felt grudge towards Amuro about Lalah, then he did a pretty damn god job at hiding it.
While watching CCA however, I felt that none of his progression in Zeta mattered: he might have as well been the same man from after the end of the One Year War who spent seven years ruminating about the loss of his Newtype girlfriend somewhere in a corner of the galaxy before reclaiming his true name and reforming Zeon to get back at those silly Earthlings and Amuro. In that sense it does feel like either some kind of alternate sequel to 0079, or a complete character regression. I mean, what is it that would've pushed Quattro-tai to adopt the exact same extremist views and policies as Hamaan Karn herself (a woman he despised), or to suddenly become so obsessed with Lalah when everything in Zeta seemed to suggest that he had properly grieved and moved on? That I don't know, because the movie never bothered to tell me.

All-in-all, I felt that there was potential for a timeless masterpiece somewhere in there, and in a way I think it kinda was (the last 20 minutes or so were probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen from a Gundam work). But its shitting on almost everything that came before it, the complete absence of contextualisation and its messy and disappointing treatment of one of the most important figures of the franchise among other things prevent it from surpassing the original series in my opinion.

I won't give it a score, because I don't think I can.
"

Fucking nail meets hammer. I don't understand how other people don't understand how Char's portrayal here is a complete regression from his progression from 0079 to Zeta. I've always said that Char was using the AEUG to further his goals of realising his father's dream for advancing humanity into newtypes by moving them space. But I fail to realize how dropping fucking asteroid, causing a new ice age and most likely killing most, if not all, of the Earth's population that you want convert to newtypes, helps you accomplish that goal. Did he not fight to defeat Haman to stop her from dropping a colony on the Earth and detested her for doing so? He talked a lot about humans polluting the Earth, which I thought was a load of bull at first in zeta. But he actually managed to convince me that that was a genuine belief he held by the end of the show while still advancing his agenda However, I fail to realize how dropping a giant rock isn't doing the same thing. He said the same thing about the Earth being polluted in the movie, yet no one calls him out for talking out of both sides of his mouth. He's gone through all this trouble to kill all the humans on earth to get them to space (what?) when it sounded like it would've been much simpler to take Neo Zeon's Side 3 and Axis and broadcast his idealism on the advancement of humans to newtypes. If I remember correctly, the Federation gave Haman Side 3 and acknowledged Zeon as an independent colony. That would be more aligned with Zeon Deikun's ideology than what Char did. This movie creates more conflict than necessary.

Then there's the Lala thing where the obsession has reversed back onto Char. In Zeta, he only brings her up around Amuro, but when he does, it's to do so to tell Amuro to get over her death so he can get back to piloting mobile suits like he used to. All evidence points to Char has grieved and is over Lala's death and that Amuro is the one who still hasn't gotten over that. Here, we get some ill-conceived notion that Char is still obsessed with her and regarded her as a mother figure(?!). In all honesty, that would've been a great development in 0079 has that explored, but then that gets lost on the viewers in 0079 and becomes absolutely inconceivable in CCA when you see them kissing and that it seemingly appears that Char is manipulating Lala to do what he wants in the One Year War. He seems to only want her for her newtype abilities and helping him explore his own to help usher in his idealized age of newtypes rather than any type deep personal connection with her. He hardly grieved when she died. So no, his wasn't good characterization of Char given what we know and what's been shown, and the lack of any backstory of the time leading to the movie from ZZ doesn't help at all (which is how long, 5 years?). His lack of manipulation in Zeta is also a regression in CCA. Zeta and CCA Char are nearly two different people.

Then there's Quess and Hathaway (Katz 2.0) who served to do nothing but annoy me. I don't understand the point of them being in this movie. The movie flow would only be slightly changed if they were never featured as their roles served no real function in story progression, yet they were given I much screen time. Quess's interference with Char and Amy to fighting was so out of left field, neglected child or not. She had little motivation to get between the fight and then join Char in a war. Her obsession with him over the course of the movie made no sense. Her confronting Chan over Amuro, a man she's never met, saying that Chan's in the way, was also senseless. In the way of what, bitch?! Hathaway killing Chan for killing Quess, who was trying to kill both of them, was just....ugghhh. It's just...Tomimo's style and character personality creation all the way. I swear that man needs to be locked up if that's how he thinks people act in any way based off how all of his characters in Gundam act. But really glad both of them died.

And finally, the ending. Great mechanism battle but horrible writing. They barely explain what newtypes are and they pull this psycho frame bs out of their azz that magically gives Amuro the ability to push Axis away from the Earth while being pulled into the Earth by it's gravity, was just...Tomino again. It wouldn't be his work without some magical newtype bullshyt to save the day for a Gundam series finale. But what I don't get about that ending, outside of everything, is how did Amuro and Char die. Axis is shown being forced back into space by what can only be presumed by Nu Gundam as it was the only mobile suit that didn't get knocked back. How is Axis forced back if Amuro died?

All in all, despite it's flaws that irked me so much, I'd give it a 7/10 simply for aesthetic purposes. The art and animation was stunning and flawless and what I consider classic anime style that pleases anyone no matter what period of time you watch it in. 20 years from now, it'll still be amazing. The fights were amazing and incredibly fluid. All the mobile suit designs were awesome and the music was harass and fitting to give the movie the tone it needed (deserved).
Oct 15, 2017 8:35 AM

Aug 2016
I'm glad I wasn't the only one feeling conflcited by the end hahaha.

Lalah could've been Char's mother my ass. Seriously, its like a slap in the face to anyone who thought Zeta was pretty cool character development. In regards to Hathaway Noa (Katz 2.0) I heard that he is completely traumatized by his actions in CCA and becomes a terrorist in exile. He cant face his family after what he did but is against the EFF corruptuon with a secret group in atonement. If they made this an OVA I'd watch it.

Not gonna lie Tomino...that's pretty decent character writing. Read acouple chapters and its actually not that bad. Theb again, we only get this story because of how shitty Tomino writes these weird white knight situations for characters who just met. Hathaway murdered a friendly for a girl who could not give less of a fuck about him lol
Dec 3, 2017 4:18 PM
Jan 2017
This movie definitely has me conflicted but I still enjoyed it, as for Char's character and motives it definitely needed more fleshing out and flashbacks to give more context about his goals. I don't feel his character regressed Char always been person who wears masks hides his true self from people you never truly know what his goal is and definitively always has some selfish type of gain behind it.

Which is he drove Reccoa to madness and frustration she could never get to know who Char really was felt he was putting on an act and hiding his true self. The reason why Kamille would always question Char's motives and methods.

As for Quess i'm indifferent now to these type characters now after my anger towards with Elpeo Ple in ZZ both are annoying characters that have an unhealthy obsession for a character and total disregard everybody else around them.

Other that the movie was decent.
Temujin26SApr 4, 2018 3:38 PM
Dec 15, 2017 5:27 PM
Mar 2014
This was better than any of the previous entries in the franchise in my opinion. I guess I just don't care for Gundam as much of some of the other people here (Zeta being the messiest entry) so I'm more used to seeing the flaws. You guys should really learn to expect less from a 2-hour movie though. God forbid you ever get into actual, non-anime movies, which tend to accomplish much less than this did. :P

Also, I have no idea why people hate Quess and Hathaway. Maybe that's why everyone hates the movie. They're some of the more interesting characters Gundam has had so far, I think, but lacked the time to develop. Thematically they make more than enough sense.

In any case, if you're getting upset about things like the small amount of backstory and returning characters, then you missed the point of the movie. Its intention is to bring the character arc between Amuro and Char to a conclusion while keeping it a quality standalone movie, hence the infodumps and reiteration of what we already knew—it had to be something mildly accessible to even the people who haven't seen Gundam and Zeta Gundam. You're not supposed to compare it or think of it relative to those works, but rather as an individual work; it is not so much a sequel as it is an offshoot. If you take a step back and view this as its own property of sorts, it might help you see it a little more objectively. Tomino probably wanted viewers to fill in the blanks for themselves.

Opinions are opinions, though. If you just don't like this movie, that's cool, too.
vegetablespiritDec 15, 2017 5:41 PM
May 17, 2018 11:56 AM

Apr 2009
I hope they fix this storyline. No backstory at all. :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2018 12:44 PM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:

9-/10

@SakurasouBusters

@CodeBlazeFate I know you highly despise this movie but, can we really accuse it to have "no backstory at all"?
ezaya said:

But, don't we already know very well their backstory? We know how Amuro, initially an egoistic and socially awkward young guy left on his own by his father, decided to take actions himself and become a man of war in necessity, how the unstable Char kept jumping from Monte-Cristo wannabe to illuminated guru's heir to rightous mentor (in appearance at least) while always advancing his personal agenda (and often bragging since Texas colony about humainity being the curse of the Earth), and that none was able to let go of Lalah (especially Char who totally forgot his family feud in answer to Lalah's death) etc...
And then the civil war, the Neo Zeon conflict etc, Char got even more disillusioned (and his grudge over Lalah never died). If you want "more" of Char's mind, there is a special event out there where the voice of Char narrated the history from 0079 to 0093 from Char's point-of-view. Not really useful because we have everything we need in 0079, Zeta, ZZ and this movie to get the characters but it can always be an interesting bonus.

By the way, when the producers asked Tomino to animate his novel ending of Gundam, he did "fix" it in order to make it more connected to the anime chronology. He wrore a new take on the story, that was refused by the higher ups in favour of what you saw here. Then he wrote his scenario into a full novel called Beltorchika's Children.

I don't hate this movie, but it really doesn't connect with any of the previous installments.
•Where is Beltoricha, Amuro's lover from Zeta?
•Where has Char been all this time before swooping in sometime after Haman kicked the bucket?
•This really isn't a logical step. He never thought of such things until now, and even then, as Quattro, even when he was forced to act as his real self, he seemed like he genuinely mellowed out and reformed. To see him become more extreme than ever feels like all of that was for nothing, edpeuclakybwhen we don't know what made him go to such extremes. The idea of him believing about neetyoes and about souls bound by gravity, he still clung to, but everything else feels like we missed a key moment in Char's life that led him here.

Tho yea, each of the previous installments (even ZZ when factoring in Haman, though literally nothing else about ZZ has any connective tissue to this one because ZZ is a piece of fucking bullshit and I hate it and it's the worst of the franchise) counts as backstory. This movie doesn't work as a standalone at all rly, kinda like the new Heaven's Feel movie that came out. You need to understand what came before to understand what is going on here and why, to any real extent.
CodeBlazeFateMay 17, 2018 12:48 PM
Aug 27, 2018 8:49 AM

Mar 2016
I was very impressed with the technical details of the movie and the overall feeling it has as well as the direction, but once you get into the specifics a lot of it is too simplistic or even kinda stupid. What the fuck was Tomino thinking with Quess? The battles were designed very well. In the moment I was glad that Hathaway didn't die over such a dumb character, but having him kill Chan really pissed me off, because I ended up really liking her in the short time she was a character. It was a very Gundam film, if nothing else. Oh, and the ending really was beautiful in a way that I wasn't expecting.

Honestly, not sure why people are surprised about Char's character in this, if you watch him in Zeta it seems pretty obvious, at least to me, that his intentions are almost always very strange and this doesn't come as a surprise. I mean who actually thought he really cared about the AEUG?
syncrogazerAug 27, 2018 9:19 AM
Sep 22, 2018 8:43 PM

Jun 2014
That was quite an emotional ending, and I think we all know Amuro and Char's fate, even though it wasn't shown onscreen.

Amuro, you did it. You finally stopped Char, and you once again saved the Earth. You are definitely the greatest Gundam hero of them all.

Oct 17, 2018 11:49 AM
Mar 2016
I just want to say one thing. Mamoru Oshii liked this movie. This man normally don't like anything.
Oct 19, 2018 12:29 PM
Mar 2016
Rei366 said:

9-/10

@SakurasouBusters

ezaya said:

Hicham_Kiy said:

Mind to give me the interview? (I would love to readi it ^^)

It was an interview between Hideaki Anno and Tomino. Tomino said that oshii said he liked CCA, but Tomino didn't believed him and thinked it was only to be polite. And Anno said that Oshii is absolutely not a man like that, and if he said he liked CCA, it's true.
Oct 31, 2018 7:44 AM

Nov 2011
This movie is not good ...
Before, we have 3 shows with many episodes each.. Now, we only have one 2-hour movie with our supposed biggest and the most important conflict ...

Even more than that, this movie wasted too much precious times in Chess and Hathaway.. I wouldn't really mind if this kind of thing never happened before, but this Chess and Hathaway story was just a copy of Katz's story in Zeta ...

And maybe the most important thing, this movie really should had Sayla and Kamille.. They should try do something, or at least this movie should show us how Sayla and Kamille reacted to this war that Char brought.. Seriously, I think Sayla and Kamille are more important to this "conclusion" story than those two new kids (definitely) or even another characters like Mirai ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 30, 2018 5:33 PM

May 2014
Jim_Heart said:
Before, we have 3 shows with many episodes each.. Now, we only have one 2-hour movie with our supposed biggest and the most important conflict ...

Even more than that, this movie wasted too much precious times in Chess and Hathaway.. I wouldn't really mind if this kind of thing never happened before, but this Chess and Hathaway story was just a copy of Katz's story in Zeta ...

And maybe the most important thing, this movie really should had Sayla and Kamille.. They should try do something, or at least this movie should show us how Sayla and Kamille reacted to this war that Char brought.. Seriously, I think Sayla and Kamille are more important to this "conclusion" story than those two new kids (definitely) or even another characters like Mirai ...

Be careful what you wish for. Tomino was originally going to have Sayla and Kamille in CCA. He ultimately decided against it.

Chan (Amuro's new GF) replaced Sayla.

Gyunei (Char's bodyguard) was going to be a Kamille. Kamille's brain damage was going to be repaired via Cyber Newtype conversion.

So yeah...

Chan was killed by Hathaway and Amuro killed Gyunei. If Sayla and Kamille were in the film, they would've shared the same fates.
Jan 15, 2019 6:49 AM

Feb 2015
AllStarNemesis said:
Jim_Heart said:

Be careful what you wish for. Tomino was originally going to have Sayla and Kamille in CCA. He ultimately decided against it.

Gyunei (Char's bodyguard) was going to be a Kamille. Kamille's brain damage was going to be repaired via Cyber Newtype conversion.

So yeah...

Chan was killed by Hathaway and Amuro killed Gyunei. If Sayla and Kamille were in the film, they would've shared the same fates.

Actually... this sounds way more interesiting that what we actually got. At least this way the deaths would be actually emotional and impactful.
Jan 19, 2019 6:19 PM

May 2014
AshitaNoJonas said:
AllStarNemesis said:

So yeah...

Actually... this sounds way more interesiting that what we actually got. At least this way the deaths would be actually emotional and impactful.

If Tomino had removed Quess and added Sayla and Kamille in Chan and Gyunei's places. That would've been cool. Well not really. Sayla is likeable and Char cyber-converting Kamille to make him a weapon is effed up. But way better than Char using little girls (Quess) and non-combtant women (Lalah) as soldiers.
Jan 21, 2019 5:32 PM

Apr 2013
Quess and Hathaway are added my list of most irritable character in Gundam of all time which notably includes Katz and Reccoa and a few others I can't recall atm.

The battles were great especially Amuro's and Char. I wish a bit more time was spent on Amuro but nonetheless I'm glad to have seen a final conclusion to Amuro/Char's rivalry. They went out in a fitting manner.
May 1, 2019 12:21 PM

Nov 2016
The plot wasn't really that engaging despite some glorious moments here and there.

The visuals on the other hand, especially during action sequences looked stunning and made this movie more than worth watching.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 1, 2019 8:08 PM

Sep 2015
Do I need to watch Z and ZZ first? Or are the Gundam I-III films enough
Jan 19, 2020 4:43 PM
Apr 2015
I may be late to this, but count me in the camp that was disappointed with it.

This film is an overrated, overhyped, mediocre disappointment of a film that is wonderful in terms of art/animation, action and some characters, but painfully infuriating for others and completely disheveled in terms of stories that unfortunately shows cracks in Tomino's storytelling, and has caused a huge dent in my love for the Gundam franchise.

While there are some great parts to it, like the art and animation being spectacular and some of Sunrise's best, the voice acting is good, Amuro and Bright being in character,the character of Nanai who should have been used more, and the final battle with Char and Amuro in the inner space parts of the asteroid giving me Star Wars/Return of the Jedi vibes along with the final part being, that's it, all the other flaws make the movie fall apart. First, there's that stupid bitch Quess who's nothing but all "Screw everyone, I'm special and better than anyone else" and literally is a spoiled five year old brat inside a thirteen year old's body, acting like a spoiled little girl who tattles on others or shoves her fingers in her ears screaming "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH I CAN'T HEAR YOU", (it's not Maria Kawamura's fault, mostly the script) being completely stupid enough to kill her own father; I was happy when she finally died, but even then and there, she and Hathaway serve no purpose to the film's story and take up time that should have been given to Amuro and Char, it's like Tomino honestly had to make a pointless romance and spend 30%-50% of the film wasting time on that? Even the subplot with Mirai on the apocalyptic Earth has no bearing on the film. Plus what the heck was with Char and Quess getting together when she's 13 and Char is 20 years her senior? And the mecha suit fights are nothing we haven't seen before half the time.

What would have worked was if they cut out Quess and instead used Nanai more, have her be a new recruit to Zeon, or say, have her be a new recruit to Zeon or a Zeon spy who befriends the Earth Federation before betraying them with a twist, or have along with her developing feelings for Char? She's an interesting character and should have been utilized more. If they had to keep Quess maybe have it so Nanai uses a one of the Zeon mecha, kills Quess out of jealousy/hatred for her because she realizes that harpy is trying to hit on Char/has gotten on her nerves for the umpteenth time, and have Hathaway fight against her out of anger, with Nanai explaining how Quess had betrayed them for Zeon, and have their fight be interrupted as they notice the Axis II asteroid trying to be stopped and Hathaway wonders what the heck's going on whilst Nanai cries for Char's life. Heck, had it been done in a way where Amuro and Chan both fought Char and Nanai at the same time, it would have been interesting, where we could see how the dynamics of both love interest groups would have worked, like while the love between Amuro and Chan would be natural, Char could have been using Nanai without her realizing that or something, imagine that. But alas, it was not to be. I'm not even a professional writer and I have confidence what I just came up with sounds way better written.

The film doesn't even have an ending, it just abruptly stops (I know it probably was Amuro/Char sacrificing themselves but they could have given a better sign). Call me a Zeon supporter, but I'm starting to feel Tomino is a hack; if a writer is incapable of solving giving a good, well written, proper ending, he is a hack, plain and simple. I literally felt ripped off at the end and was like "are you kidding me?"

And don't even get me started on that shoddy little prick Hathaway (and I am NOT even going to see that anime based on him)...his arc should have gone the way of the novel Tomino wrote afterward (but I shouldn't have to read a novel outside the film to understand the movie better!!), if he had been killed off here, I'd give this film better credit and more praise. How would Bright and Mirai feel if they found out their fucking wanker of a son basically committed first degree murder/treason because of him being a love-makes-you-stupid dumbass, and how would Amuro, if we saw him again, feel that that idiot killed off his love interest? Mirai would probably suffer a mental breakdown, Bright would give that kid another one of his trademark slaps, and both would probably disown him (if I were Hathaway's father and found out what he did though, I would launch him so far into space, no satellite nor space shuttle would ever find him!). His arc should have been handled the same way as Beltorchika's Children, and I didn't feel bad finding out what his final fate was (which he deserved).

F91 was more enjoyable than this hot garbage, and that film was bad too, great art/animation but seriously flawed/bad story. Or fuck, I may get some hate for saying this, but I'll say it anyway: GARZEY'S WING was much more entertaining and enjoyable than this (though it was a so-bad-it's-hilarious comedy gold anime), at least it wasn't frustrating nor left me with a feeling of deep disappointment and emptiness, and when I'm recommending THAT over what's said to be a "classic" and when I'm recommending a JC Staff animated anime over a Sunrise one, that's saying something.

I am not trying to be hateful or deliberately trying to be negative, these are my honest thoughts on the film, I was excited to see it at first; this was something that I was really looking forward to. I actually really wanted to see this. But it was just very disappointing, and I'd literally call this "The Last Jedi" of the UC Gundam anime timeline. I'm sad to say it was one of the worst anime films I've ever seen, though not THE worst.

In conclusion... 3/10.
Mar 20, 2020 4:48 AM
Oct 2015
I liked the movie. The animation was topnotch. Fights between Amuro and Char really blew me away.
But the pacing was all over. Characters didn't have much time or development. And then, there were Hathaway and Quess. Reminded me of Sarah and Katz from Zeta. Annoying like fuck. Quess was noisy like hell. Does Tomino has something against girls? Why would he make every damn one of 'em this bitchy??!
And Hathaway probably is my most hated character in Gundam, like everyone else I guess. He shot down the only original character from the movie who I cared. What a fucking little shit!!
Is he really Bright's and Mirai's son?! I don't need that fucker ever again.

Overall, the movie is a one time watchable.
Apr 6, 2020 3:10 AM
Aug 2018
I am extremely frustrated with this movie. Animation/Sound were great but the rest was pretty much awful. Hathaway and Quess were the most annoying characters I've seen in all forms of media till now. Also Hathaway killing Chan was dumb as fuck.
I'd rate this 3/10.
May 27, 2020 11:44 PM

Mar 2014
Damn Quess, she is definitly untolerable... AND HER TIMESCREEN WAS MORE OF 40 MINUTES OF MOVIE!! THAT IS 1/3 OF MOVIE!!!

Love the idea of finish Amuro's "trilogy" (considering the original anime + Z + this movie) with the revival of the rivalry between Char and Amuro... if you ignore the fact that the movie didn't explained how Char changed drastically from his Z character to one will to kill the earthlings. Unfortunately the final battle between them wasn't good as the one I saw in the original anime which even got an sword fight scene!

And I not wanna talk about Lannah be considered Char's mother figure..

The only thing that saves this bad movie from be a boring one is the war itself, there is shoots, explosions, good music, good animation a bunch of deaths. Pretty enjoyable that element but the rest of the movie gives me no reason to watch it again ever.
Jul 4, 2020 1:37 PM

Aug 2017
And here comes the grand finale.

Some quick remarks first:
- What is the real CCA runtime? I watched 119 mins of footage, but wikipedia lists it as 125 mins long

- I finally remembered Bright's son and understood that the latest Gundam movies are about him

- Best line of the film: “I do hate violence” – Char, after dropping an asteroid on Earth. It also kinda doesn't fit with his view that polluting the Earth is bad. So destroying its environment by bombarding it with 2 asteroids isn't? Or did Char think that in the long-term Earth would recover from the impact, yet humans would've continued to pollute it if not for Char's plan? Anyway, kinda strange, and poor Axis seems to exist solely for the purpose of being thrown into other rocks.

- Lots of new interesting tech in the film, from the new controls in the cockpit to these strange things used in zero gravity to move around the ship fast, some interesting use of CGI, especially for funnels. It was CGI, right? Though strangely all sources mention only rotating colonies, but complex camera work with funnels and the insides of cockpits clearly looks made on computer to me.

- There’s even a 4k release of CCA and F91! A shame I have no way to watch them in such a high quality anywhere. CCA still looks awesome though, even without 4k.

- I suspected that Astonaige died, but it was not exactly clear, so I confirmed it in the wiki :-[ So - unclear death. Same for Kayra honestly, it took me a while to understand that she was "squeezed" to death by the mobile suit. Same for Guinei! Didn't understand he died until I read the wiki.

- What's the point of Amuro sitting with Chen in one cockpit?

- I actually expected either Amuro or Char to die (or both of them), but I guess they survived. Though there’s an alternate and somewhat more conclusive retelling in “Beltorchika’s children”, from what I know after reading its synopsis.

- Hideaki Anno on mechanical design, yay!

Anyway, the movie succeeded in looking spectacular, though was quite messy at times, which is often expected from such a short format.
As for the story, well... Char should've received a slap from Sayla for all his actions! Honestly, I don't get why people are complaining that he "regressed" or something like that. Aren't his actions in CCA the logical conclusion of Zeonism? I mean, if you believe that there're Newtypes/Spacenoids who are superior to "unwise Earthnoids/Oldtypes" and that these unwise people are inevitably polluting Earth, it's not exactly unnatural to make a step forward and arrive at ecoterrorism (basically what Char did in this movie). It doesn't "cancel" Char's development in Zeta, he was saying literally the same things in his Dakar speech, it's just that he was hoping for a more peaceful resolution. But remember that he still fought AGAINST Earth Federation (even though AEUG was technically a part of it). Plus he probably was witnessing the events of ZZ and came to despise the EF politicians even more. Notice that the first asteroid he dropped on Earth in the movie fell in Tibet, and it was mentioned that the EF politicians managed to move away from there just in time (they said it somewhere during the negotiations, I think). So he was aiming for the politicians of the EF (even though it's obvious that he accepted that many civilians would die too). Plus something should've happened between 0087 and 0093 that probably affected his opinion too. TL;DR: Char's development is mostly to be expected.

The last moments of CCA showed us a good standoff between Amuro and Char, though as far as emotional impact goes, I think that the third movie in the trilogy hit me a bit harder than CCA. Here it was just so spectacular and I was so glued to the screen in order not to miss anything that I didn't have time to emotionally reflect on things haha. However I should admit that the ending was kinda abrupt, like, I was watching the grand finale of a big franchise, and boom, it just...ended. What happened to everybody after that? Maybe it's open to interpretation, whatever.

Some of the secondary characters just kinda existed there, like Chen, but I didn't mind them. "Amuro got a girlfriend? Okay, at least it's not Beltorchika". Even Mirai's former fiance from the original trilogy made a return! I was pleased a bit to see this fellow. Quess did a lot of silly things of course, but I think she was an emblematic example of a spoiled (or maybe unsatisfied with her life?) kid raised in an influential politician's family and having some unstable behaviour due to her upbringing. She just wanted a place/person to belong to. I didn't really mind her, as well as Hathaway. Looking forward to the movies about him. As for other side characters, they were mostly pilots, they existed, what else? It's typical for Gundam, no need to have a backstory for every one of them. Maybe Nanai might be an exception due to her relationship with Char, but here we just have to face the time limitation inherent to the movie format.

ANYWAY, probably 8/10, I think. Moving on to various interviews and F91/Unicorn/Victory

P.S. I don't think Char liked the name of his red mobile suit. SaZABI haha

-------------------------------
@Rei_III For funnels, see e.g. 1:06:55, Char deploys them after he shoots down a rocket, the camera movement is so 3D. Maybe I'm just dumb and it's easy to move camera like this while animating on cels :p But my initial thought was that it looked made on computer.
I enjoyed reading about your emotions regarding Amuro and Char, the film probably wanted the viewer to feel that way. The line that stuck in my memory though is when Char said "Lalah could've become a mother figure to me!" or something like that. Didn't expect to hear it from him, but now that I remember just how much he talked with Lalah and asked for her advice, there's some merit to his words. The most emotional part for me though was the look on Bright's face, it didn't "click" with me at first, but when I rewatched the scene, it suddenly came to my mind that Bright understood that Amuro was never going to come back...it made me tear up ;_; And now that you've only mentioned Bright in your post, I remember his sad face in the end and my eyes are a bit wet again.

As for the resources (especially the interviews), I think everything I've read comes from your blog post (which is very helpful, thank you!) so I'll probably be useless in that regard, sorry! My favourite one was a talk between Tomino and Anno, it's just so inappropriate that I laughed several times at these guys.
https://www.gwern.net/docs/anime/1993-anno-charscounterattackfanclubbook-khodazattranslation.pdf
Aside from that, there's someone's perspective about Char which I find pretty interesting as an unconventional interpretation of his character (the blog is kinda famous for Macross, you might be familiar with it; I've long had it bookmarked for reading after I dive into Macross):
https://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/char-i-am-disappoint-revelations-of-a-3rd-viewing-of-chars-counterattack/
Some other interesting materials that I've encountered (not strictly related to CCA, but anyway):
About Zaku's design
http://www.zimmerit.moe/the-ms-06-zaku-ii-an-enduring-eye-con/
About live-action Gundam film from Hollywood that never came to be (I recommend this blog in general, it's pretty good and there's a lot of otaku stuff there)
http://www.zimmerit.moe/when-gundam-came-to-hollywood/
http://www.zimmerit.moe/the-hollywood-gundam-bibliography/
Early drafts from ZZ Gundam
http://www.zimmerit.moe/makoto-kobayashi-zz-gundam/

Rei_III said:

Earth's resilience was indeed what he thought about. At the same time, did he really think his public plan's final move would actually happen? I'm not sure about it, seeing his focus on Amuro and the Lalah trauma (or rather his origin trauma).

If that's really the case, it makes Char's decision even more...tragic? Like, he's so fixated on Amuro and Lalah and can't let the past go that he's ready to drop an asteroid on Earth just to meet Amuro again and settle the "dispute" with him once and for all, only to die together. Isn't it sad and kind of romantic?

Not sure what that question mark of yours is referring to. Did I make some of my points unclear?
As for the deaths, I guess I agree with you, they were initially unclear due to just how much was going on.

Rei_III said:

PS: F91 and Victory, the nearest next Tomino works that are taking place in the following big era (where the Jupiter forces mentioned at times have grown into something else) are very nice additions (one for its visual, the other for the counterpoint it offers to this finale plus Tomino's experiments in several domains) and strongly increase, I think, the impact of Tomino's big epilogue, Turn A. I hope you get the chance to enjoy all of those titles . ^^

PPS: I'm surprised you didn't mention Nanai's voice. ;)

Now that you mention Nanai's voice, it really connected the dots in my mind haha. Giving Char's "love interest" Haman's voice was an awesome decision given his own "affair" with Haman. Thanks for pointing this out ^_^

Looking up to all the 3 titles you mentioned! Funnily enough, I think I've heard that Victory is Tomino's most hated work and he said that nobody should watch it, which is of course precisely the reason to watch it and find out why :p

P.S. @Rei_III Thought you may be interested, there's even a live performance of the last scene by the seiyuus of Char and Amuro (Toru Furuya, Amuro's one, is very expressive):
https://youtu.be/Fmc-BJbusf8
St0rmbladeJul 8, 2020 11:53 PM
Aug 29, 2020 6:55 PM

Apr 2014
i was happy to finally get amuro back as the main but my god this fucking movie.....

let me start with Quess as soon as i saw her i knew she was gonna be an annoying character and i was right such a stupid girl not to mention her getting killed was all on her for choosing the side she picked smh

next fuck Blight's kid Hathaway what he ended up doing was the dumbest thing everr i mean the guy was only thinking with his dick and nothing else it was like he didnt care what happened to earth and his family on earth and to make things worse he kills Chan for no reason and on top of that gets away with it,,, because no one will ever know i mean there's no way of knowing but im sure he'd never tell.....

these 2 really messed up the movie by a lot if these 2 didnt exist i would have loved the movie as i did until those to got more involved in the story and lets not forget char nothing explained with the huge change in him its just all of a sudden he hates earth want to kill everyone on it and he's thinking about the girl in the first series again thinking she could have been a mom to him...... all of a sudden

with that said i enjoyed pretty much everything else, loved the battles, loved the animations music all of that but those 2 quess and blight's son fucked things up huge

and one other thing i didnt like is how again we get a rushed like ending with nothing more to it just like pretty much every gundam series in the end it just leaves you hanging wondering what happens right after only to realize you never will...

but besides all of that i did like the movie but there was just to much BS with certain characters that ruined a lot of the movie ZZ was better than this and Z

next is unicorn and its imo the best of the U.C gundam series so going in for a rewatch
DazeFireAug 29, 2020 7:03 PM
"one step at a time"
Jan 30, 2021 11:44 AM

Nov 2018
This should've been at least a 13 episode anime, but then again, the animation quality wouldn't have been the same and also some horrible characters would've been given EVEN MORE screentime, like that fucking green hair bitch retard, she may have taken the most screentime out of ALL the other main characters in the movie, I fucking YES'd in a scream when she was taken out finally just to be disappointed immediately with the way that Chan was randomly killed by that other retard. TOMINO ARE YOU RETARDED? Why do you have such a big fetish for loud and disgusting teenage characters? At the end it had some amazing animation but an epilogue is needed, I don't care if it's in a novel, this should've been longer, the fans deserved it. Just because of that retard I'm never rewatching in at least a decade this movie. 8/10 Just because of the goddamn amazing fights and because I love so much Amuro, he deserved so much fucking better. Fuck you Tomino you created something that you didn't deserve or shouldn't have handled. See ya.
GRAYLIGHTNINGJan 30, 2021 4:21 PM
Apr 11, 2021 11:08 AM

Aug 2017
There's an important lack of backstory for this movie that was showed in Char's ending from the Zeta Playstation game. I think the loss of Kamille is what put Char on the path to his CCA attitude. The boy was his hope for the future who he saw as a brother or son and Char lost him and all his friends in Zeta in a battle that ultimately meant nothing since the Neo Zeon war still happened. On top of it he had to see the AEUG, a group he fought and bled in the dirt for, a group he saw turn into another form of the Feddie army using Newtype kids as weapons with no regards for what happens to them. I think this pushed Char over the edge that led him where we find him in CCA. He knows what he is doing is evil but he sees it as a means to an end. He also reignites his feud with Amuro due to all his unresolved trauma and (again in my mind) directing all his anger and frustration onto Amuro, who he sees as the culmination of everything. Chars story is complex and deep, which I think makes him such an interesting character. It's such a shame that such a pivotal piece of this character's puzzle is from some generally forgotten PS1 game.

RIP Char and Amuro. This is the seventh Gundam I've started watching and my seventh completed Gundam. 7/10 for the movie.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 21, 2021 6:28 PM
Apr 2021
One of the most divisive Gundam properties ever it seems by reading this board on it.

I honestly don't think Tomino wrote Quess to be not annoying and stupid, he wrote her to be a tragic teen idiot who sides with Char because she has crush on him.

As for Char's character changing, it makes sense to me considering he really is always so enigmatic. Hell I'm not sure if even he believes totally in what he is doing or he's just doing this all to get back at Amuro and he's depressed at humanity in general. One doesn't really get to look inside his head much about these things. Considering he likes playing roles and taking up different names, this is probably another act to him, though probably the final one since he is so depressed he can't see straight throughout this.

There's points where he clearly basically knows what he is doing is not good, and basically wants Amuro to fight him and or stop him. But it's all really open to interpretation because he's so enigmatic and hides most of his true emotions behind a mask literally even when he's not wearing one for real. Hell it almost seems like he manipulated Quess to just get her off his back because he couldn't stand her annoying teen butt either. In fact he calls Amuro out for not taking care of her better at the end!

The music and the animation is extremely good on this movie. Definitely surpassing ZZ Gundam.

I would give it a 9/10 even with some of the murky characterization because it's just so awesomely complex and dark, Amuro is at his best here literally and Beyond the Time is really good as well.
Jun 21, 2021 3:52 PM

Apr 2016
The movie looks great.

The movie is confusing unless you've read a synopsis of the novel online before watching the film (Wasn't Zeon defeated at the end of ZZ? Wait what is this Sweetwater Colony? Where is AEUG? What is Londo Bell? Wait Amuro has a girlfriend now? Who are Gyunei and Quess? etc). The movie also suffers from pacing problems where it doesn't slow down to give you time to breathe.

Another problem with CCA is that the only familiar characters are Amuro, Bright, and Char. A bunch of new characters are introduced, but it takes time for us to get acquainted with them, but this is a movie not a long anime series so we don't get enough time to feel attached to them, and again the rushed pacing of the movie exacerbates the problem. It was nice seeing a character from MSG show up again (Mirai's first fiance). Unfortunately, the rushed pacing hurts the other character cameo, as the engineer from Zeta apparently has a "blink and you'll miss it" death (like Puru's death in ZZ, I didn't realize he had even died until I read about it online. That's how poorly it is conveyed to the audience).

/m/ likes to make Hathaway, Quess, and Gyunei out to be awful characters who gets on the audience's nerves, but I was pleasantly surprised to find Gyunei likeable.

The story is strange, as it is predicated on character assassinating Char (again). It is impossible to reconcile Zeta Char with CCA Char (and it was impossible to reconcile Zeta Char with CCA Char. If the Zeta Char was the same as the MSG Char he would've killed Mineva on sight for the crime of being a Zabi, just like how he killed Garma and Kycillia despite them having never wronged him).

It is very odd that Amuro and Char are killed off 5 seconds after Char brings up a mommy complex. That's the note you want to end those two iconic characters on?

Also sucks that there is pretty much no epilogue. This is a recurring problem in UC Gundam.

I had the CCA main theme as a part of my favorite's playlist for years, but I was surprised that it never actually plays during the movie (remixes like Sally do, but not the full main theme). https://youtu.be/rJ9KNqRNVxM?t=85

Oh, one thing I really liked about CCA was the introduction of the grappling hook. That makes sense and should be standard going forward (along with the handlebars/elevators)

Overall good 7/10.

For the Tomino saga, I'd say: MSG movie trilogy > ZZ > CCA > Zeta

MSG has a really good core story of Amuro/Bright/Sayla/Char/Frau and the Zabis. Yeah pretty much half of the movie trilogy is filler (pretty much the entirety of the story on earth) but it had fun stuff like Kai and that girl he met, and Ramba Ral. Third movie is really good.

Zeta expands the worldbuilding and has a really exciting first 20 episodes. Unfortunately after Kamille returns to space, the show becomes a formulaic slog until the last 6 episodes.

ZZ was quite fun up until the Neo Zeon Civil War, at which point the show ran out of steam.

CCA looks really great but the story is wonky.

edit

Wow, seems people really hate Quess and Hathaway.

I thought Quess was a rather tragic character. She was in a similar situation to Amuro and Kamille at the start of their respective series: an immature teenager who is ripped out of their normal life, awakens their newtype powers, and gets caught up in a war. However, whereas Amuro and Kamille were onboard the White Base/Argama for several weeks or months and surrounded by people who could support them and set them straight, Quess never gets that support (situation is urgent and everyone is too busy to address her) and the story takes place over such a short time that she never changes. Had CCA been a 50 episode series, the Quess would have been exposed to the suffering of war, made friends and see them die, and had grown up.

I also thought that Quess was somewhat of a deconstruction of the fanfic self insert mary sue. She barges into a pre-existing story full of famous characters and wants to force herself into their lives (wants to become Amuro's girlfriend, is rejected, wants to become Char's girlfriend), like a fanfic insert character who wants to hook up with Kirk. She awakens cool Newtype superpowers and gets a cool mecha and gets to stand next to major characters. She thinks she's going to be this awesome special character in the story... but she just comes off as a nusiance, and she entered the story really late so everyone else is just way more experienced than her and it shows.

Rei_III said:
Chen is more of a slot filler than anything else: Tomino wanted Beltorchika (errgh) to be there for the film to go better with the animated saga. It would also have made it better by having an already characterized character (even though she kinda changed a bit after all those years).

My understanding is that Chan/Beltorchika was originally supposed to be Sayla. MSG ends with Char telling Sayla to go be with Amuro... but come Zeta Sayla has disappeared off of the face of the earth, only getting a 5 second cameo. Apparently this was because Sayla's voice actor was unavailable, and in Japan it seems to be taboo to recast voice actors (allegedly Japanese fans were furious when they found out that Hathaway's voice actor would not reprise his role in the new movie). So Sayla was forgotten and Beltorchika was created. Why she was forgotten for Chan, I don't know.

Nanai also seems to be suspiciously similar to Haman (lead administrator of the Zeon faction, has a thing for Char). We know that Amuro and Char were supposed to appear in ZZ, but early on during ZZ's development, Tomino got the greenlight to make the CCA movie. I wonder if Char was supposed to return to Neo Zeon and become the public face of it and the ace pilot, while Haman stood by his side and handled administrating the organization. No idea how Mineva would've fit into this. Would've made for a more compelling story, I'd think, using characters that had been built up before, rather than introducing new characters we don't have prior audience investment in (like what happened with CCA).

Rei_III said:
I checked and am pretty sure this kind of movement can be made with this time's technology. I've encountered it a few times (most often in theatrical releases) and always thought its rarity (and the usual shortness of such sequences) was due to the complexity of it. No idea how it is made but I imagine a simple camera movement isn't enough and it is supported by the artists/animators having to draw pictures from different "angles". (I'm probably all wrong though xD)

The shot with the funnels looks great, but you can see that the space battle in the background at the end of the shot sorta slides along the background image, they didn't quite nail that part.

St0rmblade said:
My favourite one was a talk between Tomino and Anno, it's just so inappropriate that I laughed several times at these guys.
https://www.gwern.net/docs/anime/1993-anno-charscounterattackfanclubbook-khodazattranslation.pdf

Okay, that was really funny to read. However, I can't really find any other Tomino or Anno interviews where they talk like that, and supposedly this translated interview comes from a rare, extremely expensive old fan magazine that hasn't been scanned and uploaded online for other people to translate. I'll take this with a grain of salt. EDIT: found a transcript of the full interview, but it's not properly translated (have to use google translate): https://char-blog.hatenadiary.org/entry/20110626/1309097046
Valyrian1124Jun 22, 2021 5:19 PM
Jun 21, 2021 7:43 PM

Nov 2012
Rewatched it on Netflix and Still an absolute masterpiece
Jul 8, 2021 3:05 PM

Sep 2014
This is it? Really?

The first half was good if a bit out of nowhere. The second was weirdly fast paced and made no sense just like Zeta already and the ending went basically proto Evangelion.
This is not even a compilation movie, its supposed to be its own thing right?

Old Gundam is so bad Im surprised it survived as a franchise.
What even is this UC timeline. It turns into crap and self explodes out of nowhere after beeing decent.

Its more like a proof of concept with a mix of plot experiments than a real story.
A shame to waste Char character as he was the only consistently good thing about this.

There is nothing important I could say about this, everything has been written at the beginning of this thread 13 years ago already.
Its just so .. random. Everything happens suddenly but feels out of place.

But what confuses me most is how everyone seems to rate it so high anyway.

Sry Im still shocked this is actually the original UC timeline.
Comander-07Jul 8, 2021 3:24 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 3, 2021 10:55 AM

Jun 2009
It was okay. I don't really care for the melodrama, but the animation and fights were really good.
Sep 9, 2021 5:34 PM

Oct 2018
Comander-07 said:
This is it? Really?

The first half was good if a bit out of nowhere. The second was weirdly fast paced and made no sense just like Zeta already and the ending went basically proto Evangelion.
This is not even a compilation movie, its supposed to be its own thing right?

Old Gundam is so bad Im surprised it survived as a franchise.
What even is this UC timeline. It turns into crap and self explodes out of nowhere after beeing decent.

Its more like a proof of concept with a mix of plot experiments than a real story.
A shame to waste Char character as he was the only consistently good thing about this.

There is nothing important I could say about this, everything has been written at the beginning of this thread 13 years ago already.
Its just so .. random. Everything happens suddenly but feels out of place.

But what confuses me most is how everyone seems to rate it so high anyway.

Sry Im still shocked this is actually the original UC timeline.

Ik you wrote this months ago but I cant help but reply lol.

I understand your criticism and why you're surprised this is rated high, but you shouldn't be surprised about it tbh. Yes this franchise can have a lot of vague and confusing stuff that need time to interpret and appreciate, or else the experience will be lacking or bad. The thing about Gundam especially Tomino's works is that the way he directs and writes his scripts is something that cant be interpreted easily, sometimes it needs a second visit to understand what Tomino is trying to do, this doesn't speak of him being inexperienced or anything, in all honestly I think Tomino is a genius and from how I understood the topics he tries to tackle especially on human relationship I cant help but love this man's style and work, his way in writing his stuff that isn't easy to interpret has this special kind of charm for me lol. Now this is the case with the fans who rated it really high, its because they were able to look at this franchise from different angles. What I'm saying is if one understands Tomino's style then this franchise becomes something really special. As for CCA, your criticism is valid as well, even for the fans the first time watching it wouldn't be enough because CCA had its own problems related to Tomino and the sponsors which forced Tomino to speed things up, CCA is an extremely dense movie that's hard to interpret at times, which is why many people say stuff like Char's motives and conclusions are underwhelming or lacking. It took me 2 times to understand 95% of CCA and 99% in my 3rd time (pretty sure I've missed a thing or two I've yet to learn). Ofc I'm not telling you to go rewatch the whole thing but I'm just trying to explain why the fans love Gundam, some are long time fans who's seen Gundam a couple of times or had all the chance to discuss it with other fans, giving each other something new to learn, some have alot of time in their hands to invest on Gundam (like me, I've rewatched the whole franchise twice in 3-4 months not bc I absolutely love it).

So yeah, at least we can agree Char is good lol
Nov 7, 2021 6:18 AM
Apr 2012
Just finished watching the movie and my feelings are complicated. There's one positive thing for sure, this movie really forced me to think about characters, their motivations and story themes. In any case it was definitely interesting.

I always disliked Char and this movie perfectly shows all his ugly messiness. I was praying for Amuro to stop that lunatic. I'm just surprised how many people entirely missed Char's flaws and vindictive, manipulative, self-absorbed personality. The first series had enough examples of that.

Through Char's actions I think this show perfectly illustrates what every previous Gundam series was always yelling about: bad adults that are ruining the world. Char is exactly that. He's the guy who until now had so many chances to change his ways and become a better person. Well, he didn't and in this film he continued to get even worse. It's so funny when he says things directly opposite to his actual actions. The man is a hypocrite. You could write essays about his flaws.

I see Quess is somehow controversial. I think she's interesting in what she represents. She's a young, immature girl without any good guidance from her father or any other adult around. Makes sense why she has no morals. It's interesting how Char's faction accuses Earth people that they don't care about anyone else. Isn't Quess the prime example of that? She doesn't care about anyone or anything, not even Earth, which was her home. That's how she was raised, disconnected from other people. Her need to find someone to connect to made her so easy for Char to use and manipulate. In the end she's just a tragic product of her own upbringing. :(

Comparing Hathaway to Quess, you can at least see that Mirai was a good parent. He cared even for someone like Quess... yeah killing Chan was terrible, but I can understand that he wasn't thinking rationally when he did it :(

The movie wasn't pleasant to watch, but it was interesting. And the battles and animation all looked very good. I think the most disappointing part of the film was using psychic power to save Earth from the asteroid. I'm just not a fan of the repeated use of psychic power as a solution to physical problems. On the other hand, it was thematically correct by proving Char wrong.
Dec 15, 2021 11:10 AM

Mar 2020
On the one hand, it's really rushed, doesn't explain how we got from ZZ to here and has Char act kind of out of character. On the other hands, its a sincere send off for Amuro, features great animation and has a great ending theme. Would definitely have been better without Hathaway and Quess.

Dec 29, 2021 10:06 PM
Feb 2018
I haven't seen the original trilogy in a few years so I decided to give this a shot to see how the trilogies story would conclude. The animation and art are spot on as always. I just love the way it look and how fluid it is for it's time. The story is good as well in my opinion, it's hard to choose what side to agree with since Char wants to get humanity to evolve into New-Types. But... what bugs me is how little character development there is and how dumb the deaths are. Quess and Hathaway take up so much of the movie and are quite annoying. They take away possible development opportunities for Char and Amuro. Also, some of the writing was just so dramatic with the pilot below Char who wants Quess all for himself so he tries to impress Quess to look better than Char. Sounds so over the top ridiculous, and Char seeing Lalah as a mother figure? Never seemed like that at all. I don't know how I feel about the ending with Char and Amuro possibly dead, considering Zeta's ending was greatly done with the way it kind of made us think about whether or not Char survived or what happened to him. Just hard to believe that he was allies with Amuro and then in this movie he's wanting to make Earth uninhabitable? Just seems backwards.
Sep 2, 2022 5:28 AM

Aug 2020
It was...decent. I feel as though this movie could have been better if they had focussed on the actual main characters instead of putting new ones in there for basically no reason. The ending was also quite corny which felt out of place compared to the original Gundam and Zeta Gundam.

I also felt that they didn't tie it in with Z and ZZ enough, and they kind of jumped from 0079 straight to this.

「 𝕂𝕖𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤, 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕞𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕥𝕣𝕦𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕞 」

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does Char Have Dissociative Identity Disorder?

Uutama - Apr 23, 2019

6 by lunarxlunar »»
Aug 22, 2022 4:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.