Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 24, 2016 4:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm so we got some swimsuits this episode.

For what's worth, I think they captured the comedy and character relationship between Cocona and Papika pretty well. Pretty intense episode with the mecha as that took me by surprise. What a city like that needs is a hero so they got one. This episode really gave me an action feel. The coloring and action is pretty well done imo as well.

Those camera angles though LOL
Nov 24, 2016 5:32 AM

Sep 2014
So I guess they were in Dr.Hidaka's Pure Illusion this time. Their trip seems to have changed him a bit just like with Irodori. This episode was a bit fun overall, and I'm glad we got some focus on Yayaka, but it's probably my least favorite so far. The world wasn't as captivating and well-realized as usual, and I'm not really into mecha action.
Nov 24, 2016 5:35 AM

Jan 2012
Giant robots vs kaiju episode, good stuff. Tsundere Yayaka too. Mimi? Has Papika been using Cocona as a substitute this whole time? Very troubling...

Oh and yes, tons of suggestive shots of the barely clothed girls. XD
Nov 24, 2016 5:36 AM

Aug 2014
I really just don't know what to expect from this show anymore. Overall it was a pretty good episode and it felt pretty standalone, I really think that Yayaka is going to join the Flip Flappers at some point since her team really sucks

Also it looks like we might get a little of Papika's back story sometime soon with that after credit scene. Argh goddamn it show, why leave breadcrumbs every week you devious bastards
Get your shit straight Brenda
Nov 24, 2016 5:41 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Boy, the old school mecha sounds and the insert song, i can't believe this show. The studio and staff are clearly aiming for this to be a classic.

Yayaka shone brightly in this episode.

Also a lot of sakuga shots here.

Another good character voiced by Matsuoka.
Nov 24, 2016 6:02 AM
Aug 2008
That Flashking and Great Titan like mechas brought back childhood memories. Loved it!
DantsonNov 24, 2016 6:11 AM
Nov 24, 2016 6:04 AM

Jan 2015
And here I thought that Papika's swimsuit got burn. LOL
Time for a big-size fighting. Combine the "Robot" part by flip-flapping and then play the flip-flapping theme song. And then come Yayaka, means the team CocoxPapi could need some extra help.
Still, in the end they just looking for the "shiny" fragment thing.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Nov 24, 2016 6:21 AM

Feb 2016
This show's logical plot consistency which it barely had is now degrading even more. It seems very clear to me that this show is going by rule of symbolism, basing itself around its themes more than its actual plot.

Still enjoying it though. Confused but they manage to really nail atmosphere, tone, and animation. They're pretty good at forming this mood of pure silly fun.

(I also laughed like a madman when that music when they formed the megazord came up. I'd like a copy please!)

Also, that after-credits scene...
"There’s no point in the world. But isn’t that wonderful? Because if there isn’t one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
~ Filicia Heideman, Sora no Woto

"Senpai...please grow up."
~ Fumi Manjoume, Aoi Hana

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring."
~ Yunocchi, Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation Arc

Nov 24, 2016 6:25 AM

Dec 2014
This show is such a joy to watch each week. We learn a bit about the world and characters each week, which keeps me invested, along with the crazy shit that happens in generally.

Also, a lot of fanservice shots. Ironically enough, guess what show also comes out on Thursday this season?
Nov 24, 2016 6:29 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
That was like a mixture of Tron and TTGL. This anime just does whatever it wants as long as its themes are consistent lol
Nov 24, 2016 6:35 AM

Jul 2015
This made me laugh much more that you can imagine.

Nov 24, 2016 6:37 AM

Oct 2016
I thought that white-haired boy wil be someone who's tall and have a badass power ,well, atleast we have some trio here cocona,yayaka and papika, I know they are goood together..
Nov 24, 2016 6:40 AM

Jul 2007
So this seems to go even further into the idea of Id, Ego and Super Ego.

Not only we start the episode with dynamic between Papika, Cocona and Yayaka, but the ultimate point of episode seems to be combining them. First you get Papika(ID) and Yayaka(Ego) into one(the pilot seats being located literally inside the head is also kind of anvilicious too), but that is not enough and it takes all three elements of human conscious being one to do it.

The episode also seems to focus on the idea of the "rest of society"(in this case the twins), starting to abandon Yayaka because of her attachment and of her developing a sort of self. .

And on top of that the whole planet literally looked like a giant brain. It is very likely that this was the pure illusion representing either the Bu-Chan or Dr.Hidaka(because of glasses motif and his "evil lair" having similar aesthetic to Pop's place).

I think it is likely both. Pops maintaining a falling apart city on a brain-like planet is very akin parallel to Dr. Hidaka maintaining and repairing Bu-Chan. So in a way Pops was Hidaka's subconscious, while the planet and the city were Bu-Chan. Technology and repairing Bu-Chan is Hidaka's world, so to say. He is trying to save it but he feels maintaining Bu-chan might be futile(as indicated int he end sequence with Hidaka).
Nov 24, 2016 6:42 AM

Feb 2013
Best show of the season. This anime is too good for me, my god.

And as I tought, Cocona is related to Mimi in some way.
Nov 24, 2016 6:49 AM

Aug 2015
Probably the only swimsuit episode I'm not mad at, I love the camera angles in this episode
That Mecha battle scene + epic flip flap bgm made my inner childhood overjoyed T.T
And the truth about Mimi is... cliffhanged again.

By the way the title of the insert song in the opening is "Over the Rainbow"
Nov 24, 2016 7:10 AM

Feb 2014
So I guess this time they went into Bu-chan's pure illusion.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but this sure as hell looked like a 69 position lol, making it another one of the yuri allusions.

Wonder what they'll do with Yayaka, now that she has kind of gone rogue. But hopefully we'll see more of tsundere Yayaka.
Nov 24, 2016 8:11 AM

Mar 2014
YAY GIGANT ROBOTS!!! Even they included those silly songs at the old mechas fighting scenes x3! Now is just missing a sport episode and all is done xD

geez Yayaka, being a tsundere doesn't solves your problems about which team you should be.

I guess that was Dr. Hidaka's world, when he was repairing Buu-chan, his voice changed similar to the mini sir.

As always, the last minutes are always surrounded of msytery and more questions, I don't know if this anime gonna have a sequel because would be much info if they reveal them at the last episodes.
Nov 24, 2016 8:16 AM

Nov 2014
PapinaKing? Yapico Mode? Yapico Boy? Lmao...

This episode was Tron meets Power Rangers.

Is this a parody?

It's still good, though.

5/5
Nov 24, 2016 8:29 AM

Jun 2013
Not as great as the last couple of episodes but still a great episode!
Yes, there was a lot more fanservice than usual, but it was nothing gratuitous and im pretty certain it was just played for laughs!
The classic mecha action was great as well!
The ending was very intriguing as well!
This series is now officially a ten for me!
Nov 24, 2016 8:35 AM

Nov 2013
Deep in the bottom of my heart...

Nov 24, 2016 8:48 AM

Mar 2014
Grani-smith said:
This made me laugh much more that you can imagine.

Sombra reference?
Nov 24, 2016 8:51 AM

Mar 2014
Vhailor said:

I imagine the doctor made Bu-Chan so this pure illusion was probably an extension of him.
Nov 24, 2016 9:21 AM

Feb 2014
LupusWarrior said:
Vhailor said:

I imagine the doctor made Bu-Chan so this pure illusion was probably an extension of him.

Yeah, probably why "Occhan" looked like an over-the-top version of the doctor straight out of Gurren Lagann.
Nov 24, 2016 9:32 AM
Aug 2008
All Giant Robot References (Choushinsei Flashman)

Flash King/Papina King

Flash King/Papina King Destroyed

Flash Titan

Titan Boy/Yapico Boy

Great Titan/Great Pacoya

Titan Nova/Pacoya Nova

Yeah, that's my childhood screaming right now.
Nov 24, 2016 10:47 AM

Aug 2013
Dat hand drawn mecha animation in 2016, I never expected something that good. Wow.
It's a fanservice in a many different ways :p
rsc-plNov 24, 2016 10:54 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 24, 2016 11:22 AM
Oct 2010
Definitely seemed like this pure illusion was a mix of Hidaka and bu-chan's minds...

I would say Hidaka really put his brains into bu-chan... perhaps even literally... like taking a part out of his own brain and growing it somewhere. At least I've seen stuff like that in fiction a few times already and this world is crazy enough for it.

All the PaCoYa combinations were fun. Yayaka is indeed needed to complete the team (or person?).

Seems like next episode we'll finally see that other girl hidden in the opening... apparently replacing Yayaka in the twins' team.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Nov 24, 2016 11:44 AM

May 2010
I don't like mecha but man this was very enjoyable. Loved how Yayaka got full-on tsundere there, guess she will join Papika and Cocona sooner or later.
Nov 24, 2016 11:51 AM

Jun 2013
This episode.... I'm not even sure how much of that was even supposed to make sense. The visuals were mind-blowing and that was the best thing here. Those colors. Those explosions. Damn this looked sugoi.

Yayaka is so tsun lol. "Don't get the wrong idea." She was helping out Cocona at the pretext of searching for the fragment. The twin was even telling her that there is no fragment in the pigeon monsters but she went ahead. And in the end she went into a robot to save Cocona and even went flip flapping too. She was Cocona's friend before all this mumbo-jumbo and she can't leave her alone even though they're in opposing groups.

The ending kinda made me feel that this weird colorful world was Dr. Hidaka's whatever (that weirdo doctor) with how they showed him so much.

Also, Mimi? That Mimi of last week.where that mysterious man was saying Mimi? This show really loves shoving question after question in our face. We need answers now.
Nov 24, 2016 11:53 AM

Sep 2012
Ok... wtf this episode... first our lily girls go to some neon city, bunch of angry birds attacks and mad-shounen scientist-kun saves them (not to mention the brats that work for the "not-kkk" earlier), dialogue goes and eva 01 appears, proceeding to wreck tron town. They henshin and fail to fight eva 01, mad-shounen scientist-kun tells them that there's a way to beat the thing and Kokona, now with the resolve to mamoru tron town, along with Paprika gets into zords that have handlers that look like d!cks (did I mention all the ecchi angles on this episode?). They gattai into a mazinger look a like (at leats i looked like mazinger to me) and get rekt by eva 01. The tsundere brat from "not kkk" decides to save them, they gattai again turning into some fridge look a like zord and pulverize eva 01...

... good episode, liked it.
Nov 24, 2016 12:21 PM

Oct 2012
Oh man those references were hnnnnnng

Lots of Papika x Cocona shots again and some deep tsun-tsun development for Yayaka street name Yapico Boy xD
Pops was actually one of the highlights of the episode for me, he was awesome and inspiring and also fought back against the Twins knowing he wasn't stronger, he's a man among men for his ideals

So looks like Papika and Cocona changed Hidaka a bit?

And... Who's Mimi!? Will we finally know next ep after two straight episodes with allusions to her!? dun dun duuuuuunnnnnnn
gust11Nov 24, 2016 12:24 PM
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Nov 24, 2016 12:21 PM

Oct 2012
Magical girls wearing swimsuits and piloting mechas.
Ah, I love this.
Nov 24, 2016 1:08 PM

Dec 2014
Hardcore TTGL shit going on there. I wouldn't even be surprised if they started fighting with drills.

This episode was a lot of fun. Hell all the episodes are different, yet strangely enjoyable.
I need sleep.
Nov 24, 2016 1:10 PM

May 2015
I'm so glad I decided to catch up on this show! It's so unique and each episode is always so creative and colorful. This one was hilarious with all the mecha battles and insert songs. I especially loved seeing Yayaka help Cocona and Papika out.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Nov 24, 2016 1:11 PM

Jul 2015
Neromon said:
So I guess they were in Dr.Hidaka's Pure Illusion this time. Their trip seems to have changed him a bit just like with Irodori. This episode was a bit fun overall, and I'm glad we got some focus on Yayaka, but it's probably my least favorite so far. The world wasn't as captivating and well-realized as usual, and I'm not really into mecha action.

Have every visit to Pure Illusion been about a characters subconcious so far?
Nov 24, 2016 1:28 PM

Sep 2014
BlueBalls said:
Neromon said:

The only clear ones are episode 2 (Uexkull), episode 6 (Irodori), and I guess episode 7 (Cocona). Not sure about the rest.
Nov 24, 2016 1:32 PM

Jan 2009
we got some classic mecha action and references this week lol
there is evangelion reference and there is even Deidara from Naruto reference when that tiny scientist say art is a bang lol

and Cocona is Mimi? who is Mimi?
Nov 24, 2016 1:45 PM

Jul 2007
BlueBalls said:
Neromon said:

Pure Illusion layers seem to be more like "Layers of perception of reality". They do not necessarily represent the subconscious but HOW various identities/people view the world.

The fitting layers however do seem to house the subconscious - Iro's subconscious was for example a gate in a layer that is very akin to her paintings.
The End of last episode seems to also shown us Salt's layer. And this was Dr.Hidaka's

Otherwise the layers they visit are influenced by Cocona and Papika's emotions and the conflict she goes on through - for example Episode 7 threw Cocona into a layer where she could interact with different Papikas(because that layer was compatible with Cocona's issues with what she did to Iro and wanting to separate from Papika), while multiple other layers seemed to embody her struggle with identity and sexual orientation too(ex: Episode 5 pure illusion was accessible because of Cocona's own strugle with sexual identity, which also overlaps with Episode 6). Likewise she reached the layer where Iro's subconscious and identity resides because her wanting to connect with her and understand her resonated with Pure Illusion

Tldr:

Layers = Different Perceptions of Reality = Influenced by those who travel into them and influence those who travel into them = Can embody the problems and psychological issues of those traveling through them and can house those whose perception of the world fits that layer(ex: Iro's subconscious level existing within the perception akin to her paintings).
Deeper Layer - the representation of separate subconscious that exists within specific layer that matches it's perception of the world.
AhenshihaelNov 24, 2016 1:48 PM
Nov 24, 2016 2:33 PM

Nov 2016
I really enjoyed this episode very much with the mecha-like city which reminded of TRON. I loved the vibrant colors and the fluid animation of how the city was designed by Pops which was very impressive. So, this episode we were seeing into Hidaka's subconscious as we delved deeper into Pure Illusion. There were a lot of fanservice shots of Cocona and Papika which I don't mind but the rest of the episode made it up for it. The mecha robots and the action scenes were absolutely gorgeous too! It did feel like TTGL which it's been ages seeing that series.

I'm glad that Cocona decided to not be afraid of going to Pure Illusion and wanted to protect what was precious to her. I think being with Papika has deepened their compatibility and friendship with each other. I didn't think Yayaka would have wanted to save them but I guess her mind is changing on things as she might end up working alongside them if that day happens. But that last part near the end,

Anyway, can't wait to see what's in store for next week! :)
Nov 24, 2016 3:12 PM
Jul 2014
Dantson said:
All Giant Robot References (Choushinsei Flashman)

Flash King/Papina King

Flash King/Papina King Destroyed

Flash Titan

Titan Boy/Yapico Boy

Great Titan/Great Pacoya

Titan Nova/Pacoya Nova

Yeah, that's my childhood screaming right now.

Glad to see others caught onto the sentai references too :3. Episodes like this is why this is my anime of the season
Nov 24, 2016 3:19 PM

Feb 2015
Well maybe each dimension is a different person or sometimes I feel that are genres and that Mimi, we still don't know anything and we're in episode 8.
Nov 24, 2016 3:24 PM

Jun 2015
Great episode. The city looks beautiful. Pops did a great job making it. I'm a big fan of mecha, so when I saw them in this episode, I flipped out. The action and animation looked amazing.
Nov 24, 2016 3:37 PM
Jul 2016
Anybody know the VA for pops?
Nov 24, 2016 3:50 PM

Sep 2015
Wow, all that left me speechless.
They going all power rangers/super sentai on this episode.

"Art is explosive!" Deidara is that you?
Nov 24, 2016 4:05 PM

Jun 2013
you can't go wrong with Mecha
Nov 24, 2016 4:18 PM
Aug 2008
Ciphra-XIII said:

Glad to see others caught onto the sentai references too :3. Episodes like this is why this is my anime of the season

Thanks mate, i'm seeing people here saying TTGL, Drills, etc and i'm like "Bro, do you even 80's sentai?"
Nov 24, 2016 4:24 PM

Apr 2012
Good lord, I didn't expect them to go all mecha on me!
Totally loved this episode.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Nov 24, 2016 4:37 PM

May 2015
Oh damn, that was one hell of an episode.

Nov 24, 2016 5:09 PM

May 2014
Actually cried when the obviously combine-able vehicles combined with their own flip flappers theme song.

Papika has shown Cocona how Gay she is, now she's going to end up dying and it'll be Yayaka time bayyybeee~

10/10 episode.
Nov 24, 2016 5:22 PM

Mar 2011
What a funny episode, and those angles tho.
All this time I thought the twins were a boy and a girl, after this episode now I see they both were girls.
Also, who the hell is Mimi?
Nov 24, 2016 5:51 PM
Oct 2010
Hikari_Hoshisora said:
All this time I thought the twins were a boy and a girl, after this episode now I see they both were girls.

I was also sure one was a boy, considering bu-chan's reaction during the creepy schoolgirls episode (he was showing a combined male-female symbol)... so what was that about?
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

3 by Berhinger »»
May 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

189 by Atsunome »»
Nov 12, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2016

188 by natraesitur »»
Jul 5, 2023 11:25 PM

Poll: » How much sexual content is in this show?

PokeFan2112 - Dec 27, 2022

16 by Armosaurus »»
Apr 22, 2023 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.