Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2014 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

I thought the episode was eh, felt kinda fast. I'm not sure what to think of Tokimune yet. Hopefully, he'll get some development throughout the show.

There were a lot of action. I really like the mech design though. Oh and looks like the MC finds himself in an odd situation. I like the theme song so far I guess.
Stark700Jul 3, 2014 9:21 AM
Jul 3, 2014 7:35 AM

Apr 2009
well that was generic

MC needs mecha to save the day
MC gets mysterious new mecha
MC masters piloting in about 30 seconds
MC saves the day
Jul 3, 2014 9:05 AM

Jun 2013
Let's play the "How long until someone calls a new mecha generic?" game!
...damnit, already lost. Literally the first comment LMAO. You guys never fail to be pathetically predictable.

The atmosphere and scenery reminded me a lot of 08th MS Team, which anyone who's seen that would tell you that's a GREAT thing. Seems like we finally get another pure military style mecha, no flashy super robots or super powers that have been plaguing mecha for many years now. Of course, this is subject to change, as it's only been 1 episode.

Overall, things are looking solid so far.

First impressions: 8/10, if only because it is so refreshing to see a new army mecha. It's been far too long.

Amarrez said:

He's literally a military pilot.

Amarrez said:

All he did was help a few "civilians".
ex_necrossJul 3, 2014 9:11 AM
Jul 3, 2014 9:13 AM

Jun 2014
Was a pretty generic start but the animation and cgi were great in this episode. A 3/5 for me
Jul 3, 2014 9:23 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Arandas Generals are quite easygoing to leave the tough task to the Colonel.

Tokimune getting picked on was fun to watch. He gets agitated too easily though.

Sudden assault on unarmed citizen. :O
Tokimune fails his first chance at being the hero. Nonetheless, a second chance arises almost immediately, to pilot the new mecha "Argevollen Stablis Prima".
Nice job at taking those two Ingelmian mecha down. (He still sucks though)
I bet Silfy would operate the new mecha way better than Tokimune. Oh well..

Not a bad start. Animation was solid as well.
On another note, Suzushiro is beautiful. (^^)

Jul 3, 2014 9:24 AM

Nov 2013
Had good pacing, animation and sound.
Not going to comment on the story just yet, its way to early.
Jul 3, 2014 9:25 AM

Jun 2013
So far so good the show looks pretty interesting, looks like were in for lots of intense fights as well.
Jul 3, 2014 9:25 AM

May 2010
Amarrez said:
well that was generic

MC gets mysterious new mecha
MC saves the day

hahaha this exactly what i thought. its all too convenient for the MC.

i give this show a few more eps only bc the mech looks nice.
Jul 3, 2014 10:04 AM

Aug 2010
Quite generic mecha start with main character coincidentally getting a BA machine and saves the day

The character design aren't bad for a Xebec show but the mecha designs suck....other than Argevellon.

Well not bad, will probably follow. The colonel seems BA and his vice is hot :3
Jul 3, 2014 10:05 AM

Jan 2009
felt the same way with these negative comments. like i've seen it already. stopped watching 1/2 way thru. #GundamForever
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jul 3, 2014 10:06 AM
Jan 2014
The Argevollen mecha has a neat design. I'm not quite fond of the Kriegers though.
Tokimune was pretty brave to run out in a middle of a firefight like that.
What does he get for that? A punch from Jamie, lol.
It felt a bit boring to watch, but it will hopefully get better later on.
The OP is nice though.
Jul 3, 2014 10:10 AM
Aug 2011
You guys should pick up a thesaurus and learn a new word for generic.

I don't really have an opinion about this yet but I also came into this without any expectations so that works itself out well for me right now.

Wish the MC could have been more fabulous though.
I don't have a problem with characters that learn and grow over time but for once I would have liked to see a badass right from the start.
but I guess we all can't be Domon Kasshu
Jul 3, 2014 10:12 AM

Dec 2009
The Kotoko song is nice. Otherwise nothing special, will give this one a couple of more episodes, since will probably be quite slow paced considering it's a 2-cour show.
Jul 3, 2014 10:30 AM

Jun 2013
GZTC said:
Low-budget, dull and just really no hook for me to watch any more episodes.

It's 24 episodes, so I imagine it could get better. But as far as first episodes go, this didn't impress me in any way.

DULL? The scenery was fucking vibrant and gorgeous!

Irenesharda said:
If the Argevollen hadn't been there, he could very well have cost that lady her life as well as that of his fellow soldiers.

Yeah, dying is a thing soldiers often do.
Jul 3, 2014 10:30 AM

Feb 2013
ex_necross said:
...damnit, already lost. Literally the first comment LMAO. You guys never fail to be pathetically predictable.

The atmosphere and scenery reminded me a lot of 08th MS Team, which anyone who's seen that would tell you that's a GREAT thing. Seems like we finally get another pure military style mecha, no flashy super robots or super powers that have been plaguing mecha for many years now. Of course, this is subject to change, as it's only been 1 episode.

First impressions: 8/10, if only because it is so refreshing to see a new army mecha. It's been far too long.

Amarrez said:

He's literally a military pilot.

Amarrez said:

All he did was help a few "civilians".

He may be a military pilot, but he's a "new" military pilot. He's basically straight out of the academy. He can't even pilot his original mech without tripping or messing up. It's like they got to have their cake and eat it too. He DOES have some training, but he's also pretty much a novice at the same time.

And "helping" those civilians was pretty stupid. He had no plan or strategy except to charge straight at the enemy, and then they end up overwhelming him anyway and he ends up having to count on his superior officer to come and save his hide. If the Argevollen hadn't been there, he could very well have cost that lady her life as well as that of his fellow soldiers.
Jul 3, 2014 10:31 AM

Feb 2013
ex_necross said:
GZTC said:
Low-budget, dull and just really no hook for me to watch any more episodes.

It's 24 episodes, so I imagine it could get better. But as far as first episodes go, this didn't impress me in any way.

DULL? The scenery was fucking vibrant and gorgeous!

Actually, the animation was pretty poor. especially for a mech series where visuals are really important, and all the soldiers look alike except for the females. Hopefully they get better though.
Jul 3, 2014 10:33 AM
Dec 2012
The colonel seems pretty cool. Loved how she punched him in the face from just hearing one sentence out of his mouth LOL.
Jul 3, 2014 10:34 AM

Jun 2013
Bakkar said:
The colonel seems pretty cool. Loved how she punched him in the face from just hearing one sentence out of his mouth LOL.

Nothing like superior officers hitting angsty teens.
Jul 3, 2014 11:03 AM

Sep 2010
Amarrez said:

He is already a pilot though? Sure he is still a greenhorn when it comes to actual combat, but he isn't an Aoba or Haruto who can magically OP an enemy on his very first fight without any previous training or military schooling.

Everything else was generic mecha cliches, but I like what I'm seeing for now. I hope Adlonaoh (sp?).Zero will be good too. Coming from Urobutcher I'm going into that series with high expectations even if the dreaded A-1 is handling it.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 3, 2014 11:03 AM

Jul 2010
A new mecha to turn the tides of the war!
Jamie able to punch Tokimune just like that :D Also her comments about Tokimune's skills for the first few attempts.
Anything with a military setting like this should be enjoyable. Even better when they are on the losing side!
Jul 3, 2014 11:06 AM

Jun 2013
EnenAsdel said:
Nice episode. I felt some vibes from Full Metal Panic due to the Argevollen seeming to be entirely based around how the Lambda Driver worked to a certain degree.

You're right, I can't believe I didn't see that sooner. This show has a BIG Full Metal Panic! vibe to it. Which is definitely a positive.
Jul 3, 2014 11:12 AM
Dec 2013
As newbie at mecha like me, I liked this episode. The MC reminds me of Eren for some reason, loved how he ignored the orders to save the citizens. Ignores orders = Gets new improved mecha!

Good animation, amazing design. Loved it
Jul 3, 2014 11:14 AM
Jul 3, 2014 11:17 AM

Dec 2012
Suzushiro is really pretty.

I like the design of Argevellon but I prefer ones who can fly(just my own preference).
Jul 3, 2014 11:24 AM

Nov 2012
The pacing of the episode went pretty quickly, however the fight scenes are very slow paced(for now), because of the old models

Really good music though, and this show has potential to be pretty good.
Jul 3, 2014 11:31 AM

Dec 2011
Geez, those mecha are freaking ugly...

Meh, the art seems pretty old, it looks like this anime is from years back (which isn't quite a bad thing as I like it a bit), but it seems like only the opening of the episode was like that or what lol?

I can already say that I'm giving it a few more episodes before dropping it... or who knows... there still might be hope...

6/10 at the moment is more than enough.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jul 3, 2014 11:33 AM

Nov 2013
This turned out really good. I mean I didn't have any expectations, just sort of picked it up. But the art looks really good and I have no complaints about either the animation nor the CGI mechas (hopefully studio Xebec gives Tokyo ESP at least this same quality, because I'm really looking forward to it). I'm really liking the OST too.

Characters seem like your usual fun bunch, with some badasses here and there (ok maybe just one or two but still..). Can't really comment on story but I am interested to know more about the world and what will happen next :)

There was one silly moment when blonde civilian girl was booting up the mecha, the whole "you pilot it" thing was more straight forward than I expected it to be xD

First episode I watch from this summer season and it definitely did not disappoint :)
4.5/5

Will follow for sure, I am glad that this is 24 episodes, hoping it will at least stay like this. If it does then this will easily be a 7-8 series for me (I'm hoping it surprises me though).
Jul 3, 2014 11:35 AM

Dec 2010
Oh look! New guy MC-kun found himself an ultra special super mech!!
... super original

+ bitch heroine that hits the MC when he wants to save her

Bad start. Not that I expected much in the first place.
Jul 3, 2014 12:08 PM

Apr 2013
I liked it and I don't think the CGI was THAT ugly.

The character designs are good IMO.
Jul 3, 2014 12:33 PM

Sep 2011
Was a bit underwhelming at fit and boring. Picked up a bit later on but it was really generic. Better than M3.
Jul 3, 2014 12:37 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
ex_necross said:

This. So much this.

This first episode was so much better than I expected. And yet for some reason everyone will spew the word generic all over the place. As if idol series, antrophomorfic weapon shows and high school romcoms weren't generic as phuck too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 3, 2014 12:39 PM

Jun 2009
First episode was even good. I will keep eye on it for now and see how it's gonna be.
Jul 3, 2014 12:39 PM

Jul 2013
Like Break Blade only way lamer and with slightly different setting.

Wow those mecha are ugly, so bulky.. main character is as stupid as Rygart and incredibly more annoying. In the next few episodes he's definitely gonna disobey command again and get one of his comrade killed.

I don't understand Japan's fixation with making 20+ episodes shitty mecha anime. As if Buddy Complex, Captain Earth, and M3 aren't bad enough they just had to add 4th one in the span of half a year. It makes you appreciate the likes of Sidonia and Break Blade a lot more.
Jul 3, 2014 12:40 PM

Jan 2014
I found the mechas' design appropriate, those mechs are big and sluggish, and their design reflects that. The Argevollen's slick-looking frame creates the image of a highly mobile power-armor (which turned out to be true)
Jul 3, 2014 12:50 PM
Mar 2012
Unless he is punished for breaking orders in next episode, I swear I quit this anime.
I'm pretty sure that in military (espiecially during war) actions like this one are prohibited,
But it's easy to predict that he will be a pilot in this new mech.
Jul 3, 2014 12:52 PM

Dec 2012
Eh, first ep was kind of boring. Not expecting much from this show other than to enjoy it. I like that opening song tho...

*Jamie is hella cute

*Yeah, not like I wasn't expecting the mc to coincidentally find a mech and be OP with it like every other mech show. -_-
Jul 3, 2014 12:59 PM

Mar 2012
Guide For Dummies: How To Make A Show With Giant Robots Boring

Seriously, nothing was gripping. Info dumps. Lame teenagers. Boring, boring, snooze. At least the OP is fun. CGi looked shit too.

Couldn't even get through 10 minutes, ugh.
Jul 3, 2014 1:00 PM

Nov 2013
Tyrel said:
Better than M3.
Of course it is. That one is too boring.
Jul 3, 2014 1:01 PM

Apr 2009
Botato said:
Tyrel said:
Better than M3.

This isn't much better.
Snoozefest² so far, hopefully it improves. For now it is dropped, though.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 3, 2014 1:01 PM

Apr 2012
It's been a while since we got a mecha focusing on actual soldiers.
So yeah, I'm giving this a chance. It has been way too long.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 3, 2014 1:05 PM

Nov 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
Botato said:

This isn't much better.
Snoozefest² so far, hopefully it improves. For now it is dropped, though.
Hey at least the OST is good in this one. Also the visuals ain't half bad.
Then again it's still the first episode. Hopefully it won't get worse.
Jul 3, 2014 1:08 PM

Feb 2012
Was pretty average for a mech show. Not a fan of those slow Trail Kreigers but the MC's new mech looked pretty cool.
Jul 3, 2014 1:18 PM

Oct 2007
I actually liked this opener a lot. It gets so much more right by the real robot mecha genre than it gets wrong (essentially nothing of note really aside from it not being the prettiest looking show ever) as far as the genre goes and it never even made any of the big promises nor does it have the sheer force of marketing and popular names like Aldnoah Zero behind it. The fact that that show might face actual real competition this season for my affections in what is essentially my favorite genre is now a very real prospect.

Not surprised at all by the way to find MAL shitting on this premiere for IMO dubious reasons that don't even seem to make a whole lot of sense or like people even gave it a chance or attempted to enjoy it. I expect the Aldnoah Zero threads and the ones for this show to be pretty much polar opposites in terms of tone and reactions and that one to get all the love at least initially just based on the sheer popularity of the staff it has on board alone. I also expect this to probably end up being the better show in terms of the tangibles of it's execution (animation aside) and the stuff that actually matters even though if it is people will probably never admit it.
PeacingOutJul 3, 2014 1:23 PM
Jul 3, 2014 1:29 PM
Apr 2013
It was a decent mecha start. I think the mecha design is nice and I liked the first battle at the great wall. I hope they regain the wall and fight there more, it thought it was cool. Characters are meh so far and the MC I am not sure if I like him but hopefully he develops. I think the score right now is a tad harsh though, it wasn't that bad
Jul 3, 2014 1:30 PM

Nov 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I actually liked this opener a lot. It gets so much more right by the real robot mecha genre than it gets wrong (essentially nothing of note really aside from it not being the prettiest looking show ever) as far as the genre goes and it never even made any of the big promises nor does it have the sheer force of marketing and popular names like Aldnoah Zero behind it. The fact that that show might face actual real competition this season for my affections in what is essentially my favorite genre is now a very real prospect.

Not surprised at all by the way to find MAL shitting on this premiere for IMO dubious reasons that don't even seem to make a whole lot of sense or like people even gave it a chance or attempted to enjoy it. I expect the Aldnoah Zero threads and the ones for this show to be pretty much polar opposites in terms of tone and reactions and that one to get all the love at least initially just based on the sheer popularity of the staff it has on board alone. I also expect this to probably end up being the better show in terms of the tangibles of it's execution (animation aside) and the stuff that actually matters even though if it is people will probably never admit it.
Wait what's so bad about the way it looks/animation? I thought they were good enough at least..

Also no need to start a comparison already with that one. Expecting it to not look very good anyway since A-1 Pictures might give more attention to SAO II...
Jul 3, 2014 1:37 PM

Aug 2007
It was an ok start for me especially how mecha's normally start. Other then that I'll just take a wait and see approach. It can go bad later but I feel it has potential especially seeing how the team that found this robot aren't well liked at all.
Jul 3, 2014 1:41 PM

Oct 2010
I might drop it already. I hate the MC already. He is annoying and wants to be a hero in a damn war. I wish they something crazy and killed him off.
Jul 3, 2014 1:50 PM

Apr 2012
if they dont fall into the cockpit then someone will give u a mech
Jul 3, 2014 1:55 PM

Apr 2013
bonifide said:
I might drop it already. I hate the MC already. He is annoying and wants to be a hero in a damn war. I wish they something crazy and killed him off.

Hey, at least his not a high schooler ;)
Jul 3, 2014 1:55 PM
Nov 2009
ex_necross said:
EnenAsdel said:
Nice episode. I felt some vibes from Full Metal Panic due to the Argevollen seeming to be entirely based around how the Lambda Driver worked to a certain degree.

You're right, I can't believe I didn't see that sooner. This show has a BIG Full Metal Panic! vibe to it. Which is definitely a positive.

Well.. I don't know... I am not a big fan of mecha animes as a genre, but I loved FMP (Why Kyoani??? WHY?), and I hated this episode. The quid of the question is that I don't know why...
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

72 by oooo3333 »»
Dec 6, 2020 12:07 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

31 by oooo3333 »»
Nov 25, 2020 1:21 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

74 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 16, 2017 7:10 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

76 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 11, 2017 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

91 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 10, 2017 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.