Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime 'Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096' Airs in Spring 2016

New
Feb 20, 2016 11:08 PM

Jul 2009
A television broadcast of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn was announced on Sunday on the official website. The seven-episode OVA series, originally released between 2010 and 2014, will be re-edited to fit into the new broadcast format under the title Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096.

The TV series will begin on April 3, 2016, and air on Sundays at 7:00 a.m. on TV Asahi and other networks. New opening and ending segments will be produced for the series with theme songs produced by Hiroyuki Sawano.

Tielle, a vocalist who was selected by Sawano in an audition in 2015, will perform the opening song "Into the Sky." Singer-songwriter naNami will perform the main ending song "Next 2 U-eUC-," while the second ending theme song "bL∞dy f8 -eUC-" will feature Aimer as a guest vocalist. The theme songs will be released on CD on June 29.

Gundam Unicorn adapts the light novel series by Harutoshi Fukui and Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. Six episodes of the OVA series were originally planned for production, but a seventh episode was later added.

Producers have cited the popularity of the series among viewers in their 30s and 40s. Each episode has also placed highly in sales rankings after release, and the final episode placed second in the yearly Blu-ray rankings of 2014.

Source: Anime! Anime!

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 on MAL
arsonalFeb 20, 2016 11:35 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Feb 20, 2016 11:20 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Not a new one eh....

*sigh*

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 20, 2016 11:32 PM

May 2015
Hmm though I love this anime and am kind off excited to see it after reading this, but not really.... the OVA format was so awesome and really amazing, I doubt the TV version would do it, what's the point anyway?! if it's not another adaptation but the same one, than what's the point?! anyway I think all 7 OVA episodes will fit for a total of 24 episodes.
I guess the only thing I'm glad to hear about this, is that it would get OPs and EDs, I hope it will get some amazing ones that are worth it lol
Feb 20, 2016 11:32 PM

Jan 2009
milk that cash cow good bandai and sunrise lol

i will just watch the new animated songs and download the new songs, but will skip watching this since i already seen it
Feb 20, 2016 11:35 PM

Oct 2013
Will it never end?
Feb 21, 2016 12:04 AM

Jun 2013
At least we'll get another Aimer song.
Feb 21, 2016 12:23 AM

Oct 2015
I'd hope they add some MS or someting that not present on OVA, just like SEED and DESTINY HD Remaster.
Feb 21, 2016 12:24 AM

Oct 2012
I wonder if any of the changes they will make would be worth the effort they are going through. Either way I'll be rewatching it again.
Feb 21, 2016 12:56 AM

Jun 2013
So rumor G-Tekketsu get 50 episodes is false

Well gonna watch this one
I hope this time Unicorn Phenex gonna make FULL appereance
SSSS_ShunariaFeb 21, 2016 1:03 AM
Feb 21, 2016 1:10 AM
Aug 2011
I've seen Unicorn a couple of times already but I will watch it again in any reiteration because it's one of my favs, and hey, new theme songs.

j0x said:
milk that cash cow good bandai and sunrise lol

I was going to say milk them before they sag but since this is Gundam they will always be high and perky.
Feb 21, 2016 2:37 AM

Sep 2013
Guess this means I'm going to have to get around to Unicorn sooner than expected since I'd like to watch this while it airs. Hopefully the two won't be virutally identically so watching the upcoming version won't feel like a waste of time.
Feb 21, 2016 2:38 AM

Apr 2015
What Sunrise needs to understand (And I think they do to an extent) is they at this point in Gundam's life anything in the UC timeline has the potential to be given and chance and most of the time received positively. Only some cases like ZZ and Reconguista that break that statement which is why I said MOSTLY not every time. But my point is instead of milking Unicorn they could have went back and firstly given Char's Counterattack and F91 the anime adaptations they deserve, especially F91. F91 one of my favorite stories and a movie was just not enough time to for it. Especially with Crossbone they could follow up straight into that and you know the only reason they are doing the Unicorn anime adaptation is because at lot of people aren't going to go out of their way to watch the Unicorn movies, only people getting into Gundam will give it a chance. The masses that'll only watch what's on TV will ignore it which is why if they created a TV series and exposed it to them then they think that'll bring in more fans. And when thought about it that way it's understandable from a business standpoint especially if they are going to fix some little things that the movies changed from the novel or add new things like the Phenex Gundam. But still when will the day come where we get an F91 TV series anime adaptation? I mean it takes place right fucking after Unicorn for christ sake so for UC related things after The Origin, Thunderbolt and this new Unicorn adaptation are all over they better fucking give F91 it's adaptation it deserves.
Feb 21, 2016 3:08 AM

Nov 2011
Might give this a try...

I wonder what the theme songs will sound like by Hiroyuki Sawano this time.
Feb 21, 2016 3:25 AM

Nov 2013
So no new content besides the music!? Maybe will watch, but no high expectation. Well, at least there is Aimer.
Feb 21, 2016 3:29 AM

Jul 2013
Raina- said:
At least we'll get another Aimer song.

My thoughts exactly lol
Feb 21, 2016 8:01 AM

Jun 2009
Yay bc new Aimer's song.

Feb 21, 2016 8:05 AM

Apr 2014
gundam needs to die already

its the biggest franchise sunrise/bandai has

more anime = more sales = more merchandise

this is the definition of milking
moodieFeb 21, 2016 8:56 AM
Feb 21, 2016 8:56 AM

May 2014
I'm here just for Aimer.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2016 11:58 AM
Nov 2012
I gotta say, I did enjoy Unicorn overall, so I don't mind seeing the OVAs edited into a TV series. What's more interesting is that the Unicorn OVAs don't have enough material to fill a two cour length, I think they fall short by about 4 episodes, so I'm interested to see what they will add in. I'm also curious to see how the new animation will blend with the old when they do add new scenes.
Feb 21, 2016 12:01 PM

Jun 2014
OH FUCK YEAH. I loved Unicorn, and now we will get a new one. Can't wait to watch that greatness.
Feb 21, 2016 12:05 PM

Sep 2013
Wow I didn't think they'd stoop that low.

Relevant.
Feb 21, 2016 12:05 PM

Aug 2014
They need to stop this shit just make uc timeline stuff I need something past f91 even that needs a full series sunrise is on weed
Feb 21, 2016 12:50 PM

Jan 2014
More Sawano is always welcome!
Feb 21, 2016 5:33 PM

Sep 2009
Imjustthatdude said:
They need to stop this shit just make uc timeline stuff
This is UC timeline. And they have two UC timeline OVAs running right now. What are you even complaining about?
Feb 21, 2016 7:32 PM

Oct 2007
Another new Fate or Monogatari series gets announced:

MAL: OMG GET HYPE FOR AOTY GUYS!

An announcement that an extremely popular Gundam OVA is getting adapted for a TV run much like Yamato 2199 and Broken Blade before it.

MAL: OMG MILKING!

It's really quite astonishing how different the reaction to something is if it's mecha. If a TV run of Kara no Kyoukai were to get announced tomorrow or something no doubt people would be jizzing their pants in praise of what an awesome and brilliant idea it is because by god that's Type-Moon and everyone knows that shits hype by god. :/

Hidayat246 said:

Why is that? It's not even the same time slot and sub studio if they were to need to do any new animation. Frankly I'm not even understanding where the milking is. All making fun of MAL logic aside they're literally just taking something from one format and putting it on TV as has been done with several anime in the past though usually it's the other way around. Like where is the profit milking coming from? Extra exposure? From what I heard Bandai s mainly just doing this to try to hold onto a timeslot where they have nothing else to put something in so they don't lose it for when they need it for something new which has happened before like with Katanagatari reruns on noitaminA.
PeacingOutFeb 21, 2016 7:44 PM
Feb 22, 2016 12:50 AM

Jun 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Another new Fate or Monogatari series gets announced:

MAL: OMG GET HYPE FOR AOTY GUYS!

An announcement that an extremely popular Gundam OVA is getting adapted for a TV run much like Yamato 2199 and Broken Blade before it.

MAL: OMG MILKING!

It's really quite astonishing how different the reaction to something is if it's mecha. If a TV run of Kara no Kyoukai were to get announced tomorrow or something no doubt people would be jizzing their pants in praise of what an awesome and brilliant idea it is because by god that's Type-Moon and everyone knows that shits hype by god. :/

Hidayat246 said:

Why is that? It's not even the same time slot and sub studio if they were to need to do any new animation. Frankly I'm not even understanding where the milking is. All making fun of MAL logic aside they're literally just taking something from one format and putting it on TV as has been done with several anime in the past though usually it's the other way around. Like where is the profit milking coming from? Extra exposure? From what I heard Bandai s mainly just doing this to try to hold onto a timeslot where they have nothing else to put something in so they don't lose it for when they need it for something new which has happened before like with Katanagatari reruns on noitaminA.

Sorry i am forget Seed HD and AGE airing at the same time
Thanks for reminder

Now............ CALM your tits dude
You just waste 128 words for gain nothing
I never expected good response when sunrise make announcement expect for LOVE LIVE or ACCEL WORLD.
MAL is full of MECHA HATER
For example, Take look at this thread >>> Why do some people hate mecha?
The reply is so hilariously absurd and it just want to makes me laugh
But I don't blame them, this is an era where most anime fans are from moe-moe-shit & romcom genre.
If they don't like mecha so what ???? Just let them go
Why do you get upset just because something like that??? Hard words breaks no bones bro
Better to avoid debated with a fool like them
Feb 22, 2016 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
Anyone know if it's gonna add any new scenes or is it just going to be the exact same as the ovas?
Feb 22, 2016 12:15 PM

Sep 2010
Hkig said:
Anyone know if it's gonna add any new scenes or is it just going to be the exact same as the ovas?

Well the OVAs are an hour long so thats around 12 or 13 episodes of material and its going to be two cour so I'm guessing it will have new scenes added or will expand more on character development.

I'm hyped I loved Unicorn and also Sawano doing Op/Eds gets me even more pumped up. I have a feeling that the TV version won't be as visually stunning as the OVAs with the time constraints and budget.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 22, 2016 2:01 PM
Aug 2014
ANIMATE GAIA GEAR ALREADY SHEITT
Feb 22, 2016 2:13 PM

Aug 2013
Keep the VAs please, and extended story..

moodie said:
gundam needs to die already

Because it has been replaced by Love Live..xD
Feb 23, 2016 12:19 AM

Dec 2015
Based on the time slot and the first OVA I saw (thanks, GundamInfo), several scenes need to be reworked to eliminate / tone down violence and blood. Am I the only one thinking that? And is there more such content in the others OVAs?

For the one mentioning Gundam Tekketsu, it is going to get a second 2x episodes series (fact), who might start a year after the first one, iow october 2016. ( hypothesis: look at the second 00 series)
Feb 23, 2016 1:15 AM

Feb 2008
Am I missing something? They are airing an already made OVA on TV and that is somehow milking?

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Feb 23, 2016 11:02 AM

Sep 2010
Hidayat246 said:

There is different staff working on each I think and its already hinted that Orphans will get another 25 episode season.

Anywho this remind me of Break Blade where it got an anime adaption after the movies and it had some scenes that were not present before. It isn't anything new I say bring on the milk. I wish they would have given Thunderbolt a better adaption I never read the manga, but if there was enough material they should have at least given 10e x 18min or something instead of just 4.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 23, 2016 11:10 AM

Aug 2014
Didn't know this was a thing. Decent way to re-watch Unicorn.
Sieg Zeon!
Feb 23, 2016 11:38 AM

Oct 2013
Seems people here don't know, but this is was the Sunrise timeslof of Tribe Cool Crew that ran the entire of last year. This year(In reality in October of 2015), it started Brave Beats, that is a spiritual successor of Tribe Cool Crew. And because of that it was supposed to ran an entire year as well. It seems the series flopped given that it will only air for half a year(2 seasons).

Is almost certain that Sunrise didn't wanted to loose the timeslot, but also didn't really had anything else to put in that slot. So they took the highly popular Gundam Unicorn OVA and turned into a TV series.
Note how this is airing at 7 hours of the morning, right after Toei Animation 6:30 a.m World Trigger!
Feb 23, 2016 7:41 PM

Jun 2013
Roloko said:
Hidayat246 said:

There is different staff working on each I think and its already hinted that Orphans will get another 25 episode season.

Anywho this remind me of Break Blade where it got an anime adaption after the movies and it had some scenes that were not present before. It isn't anything new I say bring on the milk. I wish they would have given Thunderbolt a better adaption I never read the manga, but if there was enough material they should have at least given 10e x 18min or something instead of just 4.

Break blade new scene only appear in episode 10 and 11 which that "new" scene is just taken from manga

Since beginning there was not enough material for Thunderbolt to get adaption into anime. Thunderbolt its used by sunrise for testing their newest streaming service. The anime itself only adaption 4 volume from 7 volume.
Too bad i will never see this baddas-guy get fully animated
SSSS_ShunariaFeb 23, 2016 7:51 PM
Feb 24, 2016 11:24 AM

Jul 2007
As much as I hate Unicorn, it will at least be better than Iron Blooded Soap Opera.

A full fledged Thunderbolt series would have been great tho. Second Ep of that was best gundam in long since.
Feb 24, 2016 1:21 PM
Aug 2015
Ok, is good a remastering(?) of Unicorn, this was great, but the UC have a lot of stories that they'll take... F91, Crossbone... to name a few
Feb 24, 2016 1:53 PM

Oct 2013
I'm going to watch it, it's been so long since I watch unicorn ova. I don't even remgmber what the plot is about.
Feb 25, 2016 12:56 PM
Jan 2014
Wow, a TV series? Why? I don't understand why it's rated so highly when it has one of the worst main characters I've ever seen. This show is carried so hard by its production quality and side characters but I don't see how that makes up for the MC who whines the whole time and accomplishes anything.

I'm 100% serious, is there sometime about the OVA that made it great that I missed?
Feb 25, 2016 3:20 PM
Oct 2010
allistairj said:
Wow, a TV series? Why? I don't understand why it's rated so highly when it has one of the worst main characters I've ever seen. This show is carried so hard by its production quality and side characters but I don't see how that makes up for the MC who whines the whole time and accomplishes anything.

I'm 100% serious, is there sometime about the OVA that made it great that I missed?

MCs character makes perfect sense though. Relatively sheltered and no combat experience, shit the only reason he can keep up with anyone is because of the gundam frame itself.
Mar 22, 2016 8:04 AM

May 2015
Guess they ran out of new ideas? Oh well I'll be looking forward to Aimer doing the songs. Still I rather wished they just made a FULLTHUNDERBOLT SERIES rather than this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» Bones Produces 'Gachiakuta' TV Anime Adaptation for 2025

Vindstot - 8 hours ago

17 by ALEW11 »»
2 minutes ago

» 'Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo' Season 2 Reveals Additional Cast, Winter 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Jun 8

13 by RobertBobert »»
57 minutes ago

» 'Shy 2nd Season' Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Elior21 »»
1 hour ago

» Studio Bind Adapts 'Hana wa Saku, Shura no Gotoku' Manga for 2025 TV Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

40 by RobertBobert »»
1 hour ago

» Animation Studio Gainax Declares Bankruptcy

Vindstot - Jun 9

34 by uncleqrow »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.