Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 14, 2012 10:23 PM

Mar 2011
Am I the only one who got shocked by Rei's facial Higurashi moment when she was floating and suddenly looked up? Yes? Pretty sure that's giving me nightmares...
Jan 23, 2013 12:18 AM

Aug 2010
I want to see more of the dog that can do math.
Feb 25, 2013 12:05 PM

Jan 2013
What kind of shitty dub doesn't bother to translate the onscreen text.
Mar 15, 2013 4:07 PM
Apr 2012
Richard_Omega said:

though, i want more asuka

Couldn't disagree more with you. We have plenty of Asuka already and getting more Asuka will only result in her just calling everyone baka baka baka and acting all superior while accusing others of acting superior :P Most one-dimensional character in the show really.
Im getting kind of tired of all sorts of things happening without anything being explained. New stuff getting introduced with any explanation and 14 episodes in we still have no fucking idea what the angels are or where they come from. I can only hope we get a proper explanation about everything later on and not something half-assed as the extermination of the eleventh angel.
Mar 19, 2013 12:15 AM

Jan 2013
Donelop said:
I want to see more of the dog that can do math.

where was that coming from? I saw how it was subbed, but I couldnt hear the actual voices. I thought maybe it was a radio or something, but I turned up the volume and couldnt hear the whole dog doing math thing.

On a side note, the volumes seems to be more equalized than a lot of more modern animes Ive been watching. Normally I watch stuff late at night, and the explosions and sound effects are always a lot louder than the dialogue, so Im constantly changing the volume on my laptop so its not too loud, but with this anime, its all pretty much at the same dB level. the sound effects could be a tad more pronounced, but I really like how even the volume is IMO.
Apr 6, 2013 3:50 PM

Jun 2009
And, so it begins. It'll be interesting to read some of the comments from now on as this episode marks a very distinct shift in tone. Obviously I loved it, but it's clearly something that not everyone will go for.

The scene with Rei's monologue hinted a lot at her true nature as well as the nature of the Entry Plug and Eva 00 going nuts while Shinji was in it is a clue as to what the Eva's are. So, these things are very important to take note of.

Unfortunately there wasn't very much Asuka in this episode.
Ston3_FreeN7Apr 6, 2013 3:55 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 13, 2013 8:58 AM

Jan 2013
The last few episodes were meh, but I really enjoyed this one. I guess I'm more into the psychological elements of this series rather than the actual Evas fighting off angels. Less Asuka, More Rei plz.
Apr 13, 2013 10:19 AM

Feb 2013
FrostAlchemist66 said:
The last few episodes were meh, but I really enjoyed this one. I guess I'm more into the psychological elements of this series rather than the actual Evas fighting off angels. Less Asuka, More Rei plz.

That’s a good sign. The Eva fights are there to facilitate the psychological elements of the anime and help the story move along. It’s a good anime because each character is polarizing, I prefer Rei but a lot of people like Asuka just as much.
Apr 29, 2013 7:20 AM
Jul 2018

Just who is Rei Ayanami? The First Child is too mysterious.
May 4, 2013 5:47 AM

Feb 2012
Hmm This is really interesting...

Thoughts from Episode 14

This was first psychological episode involving a Ayanami Rei and her point of view. So I guess it's supposed to be mysterious. Nice recap it's actually was quite nice to see all Angels name like Satchel, Ramiel, Gabghiel and so on. Don't remember all of them.

I wonder what that red sky with small lightning orbs is meaning. And why Rei is smelling Ikari in Unit 01. How Rei was born and why her mind is loosing control. I guess we can get answers for these soon.

Now it seems like Ikari is having many plans. First he has business with "SEELE" maybe Rei is also involved in this organisation. What this organisation really wants is unknown yet to us (plot hole) Next project is Human Project we know it has something to do with ADAM. So is Ikari betraying NERV and working with SEELE now. And what Rei described as sea with red blue on it it must be Dead Pole.

Finally what is Lange Of Longinus which is project that NERV is interested in.

What that plan what Ritsuko mentioned Dummy plan really is if it's so dangerous that even Maya didn't wanted to be part of it.

Did Unit 00 really wanted to attack Ritsuko or Rei and why is that? (plot hole) if it was Ritsuko could it been because she reprogrammed Unit 00 and because earlier test went wrong and it was basically her fault. Or could be something else?

Best parts: Rei's psychological stuff, Ikari and Commander discussing plans, and overall showing more new organisation SEELE. And dog who knows math :DD

Can't wait to next episode!!!
MixxuMay 4, 2013 5:51 AM
Aug 3, 2013 4:53 AM

Jul 2013
I didn't see the point of half of the episode being recaps, plus they could've done with translating all the text that came up in to English. The second half was ok.

I didn't expect Rei to be such a poet, it was like being at some poetry slam in a little cafe lol.

I thought Unit 00 just couldn't bare to operate with someone other than Rei at the helm. Therefore he wasn't attacking her I thought he was trying to get to her because he wanted her to be his pilot again because he didn't like Shinji.

It sounds almost like the board are orchestrating the angel attacks.
Sep 9, 2013 9:29 PM

Sep 2011
First half was a recap, but the second half was pretty interesting.
Sep 22, 2013 7:12 PM
Oct 2011
While I could do with out a clip show for the first half we learn two new things of importance. The first thing we learned is that SEELE and Gendo Ikari each have different agendas. Finally we learned that the earlier incident of Unit 00 going berserk is not Rei’s fault. But with this a new question is raised, who was unit 00 attacking? Rei or Ritsuko?
Oct 13, 2013 8:41 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty good/interesting episode, as people before me have mentioned. Well, except for the recap part, anyways XD
Dec 23, 2013 12:20 AM

Aug 2007
The recap was actually really strong, as far as retellings go.
The little dialogue was pretty powerful.

Aw man, I can't wait to learn more about what's really going on behind the scenes...!

Feb 10, 2014 4:22 PM

Apr 2012
It's a great, necessary recap with all the action, while highlighting all the little things the battles revealed that are relevant to the actual plot.

And the second half is excellent.
Feb 18, 2014 8:19 AM

Aug 2013
Scenarios, angels deviating from the plan...what?

So much mystery surrounding Rei. And what's up with the child orders? Uhh now I'm beginning to get confused lol
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 18, 2014 4:56 PM

Oct 2013
does rei have some kinda secret mission :0
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 18, 2014 5:06 PM

Jul 2013
Bheaze said:
does rei have some kinda secret mission :0

Yes. She's actually a blu spy.

(Boy, I hope I did the reference right.)
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Mar 7, 2014 7:00 PM

Dec 2013
There's something really fishy going on. Dead sea scrolls, Seele, this mystery council, this "schedule"

hmm This has sparked my curiousity more than any episode thus far...

They managed to recap things in an interesting way, kinda classy the format the chose.
Love and Peace!!!
May 12, 2014 11:58 AM

Mar 2014
Well, the recap was decently done. I liked how it was presented, flashing between text and between visuals accompanied by sound fx, getting rid of all the voice acting. It gave the whole thing a bit of extra style.

The second half of the episode was certainly more interesting, and I feel like Rei's monologue signifies that the show is now starting to shift from a well-made action mecha show with some character drama, to something deeper and philosophical.

I was kind of expecting as much... and the philosophical elements seemed pretty well done in this episode. I'm just hoping they don't shit the bed on this stuff and begin go in too much of an overly-pretentious and preachy direction, like so many other shows that touch on these subjects tend to.
::End of Transmission::

May 17, 2014 2:11 AM

Jun 2013
Good episode. I'm glad they did a recap because it's been about a week and a half since I watched it so at least now I won't have to start over.
Jun 7, 2014 7:42 AM

Aug 2013
Mehhh recap...

More 00 going crazy in the 2nd half of the episode.
My Candies:
Nov 28, 2014 2:57 PM

Jul 2014
What a great episode~ Things are gonna unravel soon
Dec 9, 2014 9:43 AM

Nov 2013
Eh, recap first half but the second half was kinda neat. Commander up to some funky shit.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 7, 2015 4:34 PM

Oct 2013
Has Nerv ever done any experiment without it going unexpectedly wrong.
Jan 28, 2015 1:27 AM

Apr 2013
it seems the OP has grown on me.

the first half acted as one hell of an info dump as they named the angels that have appeared so far except the last one. the only problem is I can't remember any one's name now the episode is finished. And what's up with the Spear of Longinus shit, they're taking their mythology seriously it seems. The final boss will be Jesus! ^_^
But this episode made me remember some of the questions I had that still haven't been answered. The first Angel destroyed Antarctica in a self-explosion, right? then WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SECOND ANGEL?! Also, what are EVAs made of, their AI level, and who are these so called chosen children?
P.S.
Rei smiling was creepy..
Feb 10, 2015 12:46 PM

Oct 2014
Pretty good recap episode. Second half was interesting enough
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2015 6:03 AM
Dec 2013
recap was not needed but the second half was very interesting

want to know more about the adam project
Feb 17, 2015 2:27 AM

Oct 2013
I actually appreciate the recap in highlighting the important events of the first 13 episodes. Was it necessary? Probably not, but I honestly don't feel any of this episode was necessary... except for maybe that Rei monologue.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 21, 2015 6:27 AM

Dec 2013
goldrose said:
Am I the only one who got shocked by Rei's facial Higurashi moment when she was floating and suddenly looked up? Yes? Pretty sure that's giving me nightmares...

Shit, I wasn't prepared for that either. I was just starting to doze off at the pacing of this show until the screen started flashing. I guess the real show still has yet to start.
Apr 24, 2015 11:04 AM

Feb 2015
Second half was good
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2015 7:07 AM
Nov 2014
GREAT recap and very psychological ep, the second half was very good. What the hell is Shinji's dad is up to though ?
May 30, 2015 9:24 AM

Jan 2013
A nice short recap of the Angels.
Gendo is talking about the Adam Project and a new item called the Lance of Longinus is introduced.
Jun 13, 2015 10:50 PM

Sep 2014
Pop Quiz! Ep 14.

Plot: 1st half is a recap of past battles with a meeting with Seele. 2nd half is a test of compatibility and pilots. Rei is deep in wondering inside Unit 1 while Shinji is rejected by Unit 0. In the end, more questions are raised as Gendo plots with a new item called the Lance of Longinus.

Character: Not much but Rei's introspection on herself does give the indication that she wonders what she is alot along with other things. And she hates the color red.

4/5. Neat recap and more mystery to go on.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jun 19, 2015 2:45 PM

Dec 2009
Almost didn't watch the whole episode then I seen in the comments there was more then redundant stuff. 2nd half was interesting.
Such junk...
Jul 10, 2015 7:22 AM

Jan 2014
Did he say the Lance of Longinus? Okaay... o__o
Anywayz, the recap was very nice actually and that Rei monologue kind of cool :)
Also, we were given even more reasons to think about who Rei really is. ^-^
Aug 13, 2015 3:46 PM

Aug 2015
After the recap, I enjoyed this episode more. I found it interesting that the Eva rejected Shinji. I wonder if the Eva get really attached to their pilots somehow. It sure looked like it was trying to get to Rei, but the other lady was sure it was after herself. Why would it be after her? ★3/5
Oct 28, 2015 9:10 PM

Apr 2014
Lance of Longinus? O_o What's the symbolism behind Gendo's designating Rei as the one to wield it and carry out the operation? Why did Unit 00 reject Shinji? Why did Ritsuko believe it was after her? What were the meanings behind Rei's pondering? What's up with Shinji seeing a Rei with an insane face prior to the Eva going berserk? Why was he seeing visions regarding Rei, and did the Eva key in on some of her concealed emotions or his or what? Do these Evas record the experiences of their pilot?
Nov 6, 2015 1:53 PM

Jan 2015
i'm obsessed with the beginning of the second half of this episode, Mysterious and interesting.
Nov 22, 2015 3:00 AM

Feb 2013
First half was a recap, so not much to say about that.

But wow, was the second half freaky. The part where Shinji saw all those images of Rei and one of them was her with this big ass creepy smile on, kinda freaked me out lmao.

Seriously though, wth is Rei? Cause at this point I don't even think shes human. Also where exactly was she going at the end???

This is starting to get really interesting.
Dec 5, 2015 2:30 PM

Sep 2013
The second half was interesting, it felt like Katsuragi and Ritsuko weren't on good terms or something. The way they talked to each other different from usual. That plus the whole mystery benhind Gendou's plan ..
Dec 30, 2015 6:58 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

5/5

This episode contains the first real scenes for why this anime has the "psychological" tag.

Even if the first part was a little recap, this is the first time the names of the Angels are given. It's appreciated information.

This episode also puts a question front-and-center that has been hinted at: "What is NERV up to, really?" Also, Eva00 going berserk with Shinji... he mentioned feeling like his mind was being invaded. Rei mentioned "someone else" during her dialogue.

I know, but I'm not going to spoil it for the first timers.
Feb 5, 2016 10:22 AM

Aug 2014
The first half was a good recap , it sums up everything about the Angel attack since its beginning .
The second half was full of mysteries , I would like to see an episode about Rei .
Good Episode .
Aug 15, 2016 6:20 AM

Aug 2016
Seems like we are finally going to see who Rei really is. It's getting intresting now.
Oct 31, 2016 1:05 PM

Aug 2014
About time they started focusing on my girl Rei.
Oct 31, 2016 1:46 PM

Jun 2016
Hated the first half of this episode. A total waste of time.

Oh, and it is amazing to finally see Rei on the screen. I am really not that much fond of the spoiled Asuka kid.
Jan 3, 2017 12:35 AM

Feb 2013
I absolutely abhor recap episodes.

Although the second half was interesting. They were testing to see if the pilots can pilot the other Units. Although Asuka seems to be a special case where only she can pilot Unit 02 and she can only pilot it. Based in Misato's comment she wouldn't be able to pilot the other Units. Interesting g.

Rei seems to have no problem with Unit 01 but Shinji had a problem with Unit 00. It looks like Unit 00 "rejected" him. So maybe the Evas are sentient to a certain degree?

What's Rei doing with that Lance? I wonder what it's for? What is its purpose?

Liked the second half. Detest the first half.
Jan 12, 2017 12:28 PM

Sep 2015
This was really not much of an episode.
Jan 12, 2017 12:44 PM

Dec 2015
@Hinata But it gave the Angels names, some insight on Ayanami, a little revelation about SEELE, a hint about Rei and her Evangelion along one about Ikari Yui's fate, presented how Gendô is already deviating from "the plan" (and the old men don't even realized the reason why the Angel attacked the fleet was that Kaji was bringing the First Angel to Gendô) and announced the Dummy Plug.
A lot for something who's nothing more than a recap/recycling episode.

edit: and it shows the Longinus Lance too, right?

4/5

@Nishi_23 Don't worry, you'll get Rei's troubles/ideas behind her poetry soon enough. ^^
As for the confusing nature, I thought that this summary actually cleared out several things hinted at previously while revealing a few new parts in the "mystery".

@FMMatron Good to see some post-2000 peoples are able to appreciate well done mid-summaries. It's a rare thing on this website.
Rei_IIISep 15, 2017 2:48 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Yesterday, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.