Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 11, 2008 9:44 PM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, what an episode!

So Reki is cursed, huh? ;_; Poor thing. I just have to wonder what's wrong with Rakka, though.

I really like that one guy from the factory, too (don't remember his name). Worrying about Reki... how sweet. :3
Jul 20, 2008 7:18 AM

Oct 2007
nice episode and il hope rakka will be ok.
Aug 21, 2008 7:25 AM

Aug 2008
dark wings more cute than ashes wings.. I want one pair :)
Dec 3, 2008 7:47 AM
Mar 2008
It's trying to move me to tears... However, I just can see a little cliché in angels having dark wings... It's just like something thought by all those emo "fallen angel"-whores that just use the concept randomly in quotes (and MSN personal messages) that would be great if it wasn't that they were plainly trivial. "I'm a fallen angel whose bleeding wings can't fly any longer", "Dark angel wings adorn my back, scarring my heart with sufference", "My peas soup is too cold, I'm gonna cut myself", etc...
Great episode.
Apr 19, 2009 1:00 PM

Aug 2008
I guess this episode adds up to the "mystery" part again. Each time I watched an episode, something is bound to happen. Anyway, it's too early to jump into conclusions. I am still flooded with unanswered questions up to this point. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this episode.

I guess this is one way of making me sit up all night and watch this show until the end. I was not planning this week to finish this show. However, if this kind of pacing continues, I will end up finishing this today.

Jun 15, 2009 9:40 PM

Jul 2008
An anime that deals with grief and depression is rare in my experience, and Haibane Renmei is one that does so with profound emotional honesty. As someone who's lost close friends before their time and have dealt with personal moments of darkness and anguish, I'd contend with anyone who thinks that Rakka's feelings of sadness and despair, and self-isolating behavior aren't genuine or realistic.

Darkened wings and emo angels aren't new ideas, but Haibane Renmei doesn't go for the hip or edgy appeal; Rakka's wings look diseased and sickly rather than anything cool. It makes the powerful emotions the center of focus, and I can't help but be deeply moved.

However, there is one scene that I can't quite figure out. The scene where Rakka is cleaning Kuu's room, she sees the display of frog figurines with the main Haibanes' names on them. Kuu's frog and Rakka's frog are side-by-side, representing their closeness in real life. She knocks one over, and I had always thought it was Kuu's, since she's gone and all. However, now that I can read some simple Japanese characters, I now see that the frog Rakka knocked over bore her own name. Is she upset with herself? Does she feel like she doesn't belong? She makes such a cold gesture of it that I'm lost for interpretations.
Ideal anime wife?
Aug 26, 2009 5:47 PM

Oct 2008
I feel like the story really picked up this episode. There were some serious emotional moments this episode that really helped it stand apart from the previous ones.

As always, the music was excellent, and there were a plethora of new questions to be asked. This show is really living up to my expectations.
Nov 9, 2009 1:55 PM

May 2009
Reiki's paintings are grate (bravo for the droughtsman) . I think they tell more about her then she told to Rakka. Maybe the curse thing is a bit of overreacting from Reiki? She's very dissapointed with her life I guess. That's where her problems come from.

I wonder when we will get the full story about her past. Especially about her running away with that boy. Will they get together again, before one of them will fly away?
Nov 17, 2009 3:04 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
This is not going to end well. :<

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 16, 2010 3:24 AM

May 2010
Ria said:
I really like that one guy from the factory, too (don't remember his name). Worrying about Reki... how sweet. :3

Ha ha, yeah, Hyoko: Mr "I'm trying to fit in with the humans, also look at my skateboard". ;)

I'm actually really interested in seeing what some of the 'Abadoned Factory' haibane get up to.
But yeah, in regards to Rakka in this episode, I guess the fun slice-of-life times are over and the story's about to get good, can't wait to see what happens here on in.
Loading Signature ...
Jun 24, 2010 8:59 AM
May 2008
Yay, more serious happenings! Seriously, I've been waiting for things to become more serious, and looks like that's the direction things are headed... so next episode!
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 16, 2010 4:01 AM

Oct 2008
a slight misstep in the series in that rakka's depression over kuu leaving wasn't really believable. it only feels like rakka's been there a couple of weeks. the rest was excellent though. this show is brimming with genius
Aug 10, 2010 4:36 PM

Dec 2009
cyruz said:

Seems this way to me as well. Or it'll flip at the last moment in the last episode.
Such junk...
Aug 12, 2010 7:11 AM

May 2009
RyanMortos said:
cyruz said:

Seems this way to me as well. Or it'll flip at the last moment in the last episode.

Hopefully Rakka gets pushed over the edge, becomes black angel of death and goes on a killing spree
Sep 2, 2010 9:32 AM

Sep 2008
best ep yet. Beautiful, emotional and deep...

T_T
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 17, 2010 12:57 AM

May 2010
You know - for some reason this episode annoyed me. I love this show - and I love emotional things.. but I just wasn't clicking with Rakka. I get she'd be devastated but somehow the way she acted just got on my nerves.
(I'm probably the only person who has this opinion - I get that) but yeah. Just being honest
Sep 25, 2010 5:25 AM

Jan 2010
Ria said:

yeah that was such a cute scene :),although he was unconditionally rude

this was the best episode so far...i was starting to lose interest.

poor Reki...i hope she will remember her dream
5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Feb 11, 2011 4:14 PM

Jun 2009
Wonderful episode. Even if there are more questions than answers, I can’t help but be marveled at the world the Haibane’s live in. Rakka’s honest feelings of sorrow made feel downcast.

I’m really enjoying how this is going, although I feel it might not end up happily.
AnisamarFeb 11, 2011 4:25 PM
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Feb 21, 2011 1:35 AM

Oct 2008
This was kinda a depressing episode. o_o
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 24, 2011 10:43 PM

Dec 2010
pffff...

I just figured out on the clock tower episode that Kana wasn't a boy, and this episode I finally realized Kuu is a girl too.

Haha.

This episode is great, I was slightly losing interest.
May 10, 2011 8:40 AM
Jan 2010
When did this show stop being moe moe uguu ;_:
May 10, 2011 10:21 PM

Oct 2009
I really want to know what is up with Rakka. I don't want something bad to happen to her. And poor Reki...
Feb 20, 2012 11:41 PM

Apr 2009
This episode had nice character development for Reki and the feather cutting scene had great impact. I wonder if the sinner stuff will be left vague like this to emphasize the theme of how unpredictable and unfair fate is or if they will figure out a way to save Reki from being sin-bound.

It's a slight annoyanced that Rakka's reaction is so strong even after a month, particularly when compared to everyone else. If Reki's past experience is supposed to be similar to Rakka's this must mean Rakka has a strong emotional connection to what happened that stops her from getting over it. Unlike Reki who felt she was betrayed and felt hatred over the disappearance of someone, she somehow feels guilty over what happened and became depressed. I hope this gets explained though.
May 15, 2012 8:23 AM

Jan 2012
poor Reki, lets hope she remembers her dream, she seems to be so lonely somehow I can't explain in! I actually agree with someone in an earlier post though, I found Rakka to be slightly annoying in this episode im not sure why, because she's obviously dead upset with Kuu leaving and stuff... hmm, nonetheless probably one of the best episodes so far, I too was SLIGHTLY getting abit bored... hopefully it can pick up and carry on with episodes like this, or at least to this standard
Sep 29, 2012 2:07 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, awesome episode! This series has definitely taken on a more serious tone, and I love it. Interesting additions to plot, with Rakka's wings turning black and the information about the cursed Haibane. Still so many unanswered questions, but with 6 episodes left, I feel optimistic that they will be answered by the end.
Jan 6, 2013 1:58 PM

May 2012
Nice episode, I do wonder what's wrong with her wings oO?
Jan 18, 2013 1:11 AM

Jun 2012
Great episode, but at this point, the thing that's depressing me the most from this anime is how nice everyone is to each other. I legitimately feel sad because the way they act seems so constructive and human, in a "this is the way life is supposed to be" kind of way, and then I look around myself in real life and become depressed knowing that the people around me couldn't care less about each other.

Perhaps there is a place somewhere on this Earth where people act like people and actually treat others as equals and behave in an intelligent, mature way. If such a place exists, it is surely far away from me.

Personal ramblings aside, I hope Reki finds a way to remember her dream. Also, if Rakka's feathers were turning black and required the same medicine Reki needed for her wings, does that mean a Haibane can become sin-born after they've been born?
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Feb 18, 2013 2:04 PM
Apr 2012
heavy episode... can't wait for more!
Mar 12, 2013 1:49 PM

Jan 2013
nest episode yet.
Im assuming Haibane die if they cut their wings off.
I wonder if the halo can be forced off.
Apr 23, 2013 10:23 AM

Jan 2012
BigSimo said:
a slight misstep in the series in that rakka's depression over kuu leaving wasn't really believable. it only feels like rakka's been there a couple of weeks. the rest was excellent though. this show is brimming with genius

You just summed up exactly what I was going to say.
Apr 30, 2013 4:12 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
VictimOfFate said:

It's a slight annoyanced that Rakka's reaction is so strong even after a month, particularly when compared to everyone else. If Reki's past experience is supposed to be similar to Rakka's this must mean Rakka has a strong emotional connection to what happened that stops her from getting over it. Unlike Reki who felt she was betrayed and felt hatred over the disappearance of someone, she somehow feels guilty over what happened and became depressed. I hope this gets explained though.

I agree, for some reason, I'm slightly annoyed with Rakka, despite knowing that I shouldn't be. Losing someone hurts, but she hasn't been with Kuu as long as everyone else, yet she is still depressed after a month. Of course not everyone reacts the same way, but I think she should really try to be happy for Kuu. I guess it's because Rakka is still a child, and I felt it when she thought that to the people of the town, a Haibane's disappearance is nothing big. Well to be objective about this, I don't think Rakka would care much if someone else in the town passed away. After all, she's mostly with the Haibane. It goes both ways. Why should people be sad for someone they don't know (well)? But I definitely feel bad for Rakka regarding her wings blackening. I would be just as scared as her and want to hide it too. And poor Reki, being born sin-bound, for a reason that she doesn't know. It's probably much worse for her to see others leave, knowing that she never will be able to.
May 29, 2013 12:04 AM

Aug 2007
kenyaboi1364 said:
An anime that deals with grief and depression is rare in my experience, and Haibane Renmei is one that does so with profound emotional honesty. As someone who's lost close friends before their time and have dealt with personal moments of darkness and anguish, I'd contend with anyone who thinks that Rakka's feelings of sadness and despair, and self-isolating behavior aren't genuine or realistic.

Darkened wings and emo angels aren't new ideas, but Haibane Renmei doesn't go for the hip or edgy appeal; Rakka's wings look diseased and sickly rather than anything cool. It makes the powerful emotions the center of focus, and I can't help but be deeply moved.

This is exactly why I love this anime so much.
It shows grief, depression, isolation and suicide without being glamorous.
Though black wings may be a bit redundant, there are quite a lot of symbolism in Haibane Renmei, they can at least give you something that is less cryptic. It helps you piece things together as you watch it instead of making everything deliberately confusing.

kenyaboi1364 said:
However, there is one scene that I can't quite figure out. The scene where Rakka is cleaning Kuu's room, she sees the display of frog figurines with the main Haibanes' names on them. Kuu's frog and Rakka's frog are side-by-side, representing their closeness in real life. She knocks one over, and I had always thought it was Kuu's, since she's gone and all. However, now that I can read some simple Japanese characters, I now see that the frog Rakka knocked over bore her own name. Is she upset with herself? Does she feel like she doesn't belong? She makes such a cold gesture of it that I'm lost for interpretations.

Kuu has come to peace with herself and moved on, meaning she is still part of the group, living in their memories as a positive source of thought..
Rakka is "falling" away, much like her dream. She contemplates how peaceful Olde Home and the surrounding area is, but after Kuu's departure, she questions everything. She feels like an outcast because she is the only one outwardly showing loss and is afraid of the truth. She's afraid of how she ended up in such a place and what is beyond the walls.

Sep 6, 2013 3:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Things got very serious. Rakka is going through a dark and troubled period after Kuu's departure.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 17, 2014 3:42 PM

Apr 2013
That was a good episode. Rakka is depressed. What if that was the cause of her illness?
Mar 2, 2014 2:21 AM

Apr 2013
This anime continues to be really hauntingly beautiful. Love it.
Powerful eyebrows.
May 29, 2014 2:33 PM

Dec 2013
I like the explanations this show gives. Specially the one about Haibane's forgetting about the dream they had inside their cocoon and becoming sin-bound. Their explanations are simple, yet brilliant.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jun 7, 2014 3:17 PM

Sep 2012
Rakka's mourning is way too contrived, she and Kuu barely spent screentime together and there she is, becoming all depressed because of Kuu's departure.
Jul 9, 2014 6:11 AM

Aug 2012
So how much screentime the characters should have shared for people to believe that they cared for each other? Don't be ridiculous, be empathic.
Jan 21, 2015 10:45 AM

Sep 2014
If Kuu was given the same screentime as Nemu, Kana, or even Hikari, her departure would have been much more powerful, and Rakka's reaction would be even more believable.
Feb 14, 2015 6:10 PM

Aug 2014
This was really sad at some parts. Especially the part where the guy was indirectly glad that Kuu left.
Rakka reminded me of Lain at several parts during this episode because she was being very quiet and she did a lot of blank stares.
The black stuff on her wings is probably a result of the grief over Kuu.
It's sad to think about the black-haired girls life in that world. She has been cursed to forever be stuck within the walls of that endless purgatory, as new haibane keep coming and going, she is always left behind. She must be the saddest of them all.
The whole concept of the grief black stains on people reminds of the events of Noragami and what happened to Yato.
May 24, 2015 11:23 AM

Feb 2013
It's the plague!

Good episode. I hope they build on this. The anime has that "vibe" to it for something tragic to happen.
Jun 9, 2015 10:42 PM

May 2012
great episode, the number of questions i have continues to grow, i wish i could just marathon it, but alas i have work to do, looking forward to see where it goes, i hope rakka is okay, im kinda worried
Oct 18, 2015 10:43 PM
Nov 2014
I found it hard to believe that Rakka would ''care'' too much about Kuu, I mean there wasn't alot of screentime or even development between both of them, but w/e.
Nov 22, 2015 9:24 PM

Jun 2015
I like Rakka. I mean she was my fave until this episode
But, the way she's dealing with Kuu's situation is irritating! get your shit together, I mean the others have known her for a longer period and are doing ok & she's still devastated even after 3 months of her disappearance, come on :/
On the other hand, it's sad to know that Reki is cured. I like the mystery and darkness of this show, can't find to know what is wrong with Rakka
Dec 3, 2015 4:13 PM

Sep 2015
The direction of the show is a bit more interesting now, however, Reki is still the only character I care about.

It's hard for me to find people interesting that are always nice, and the "niceness" of the other haibane seems exaggerated in relation to being forced to live in a confined place without knowing why.

It's like in life, really. I have trouble understanding how people go through live "happily", without ever caring about philosophy.

Following that thought, I might start to like Rakka more now. I hope she can transform her grieve into desire to know what's going on, and starts to really investigate on the "Haibane Renmei" and all the mysteries.
Dec 4, 2015 3:49 AM

Mar 2010
I agree with the 3 messages above not much to add. Sad story about reki and more mystery about what they really are
Jan 14, 2016 3:03 AM

Oct 2013
Feels like all the foreshadowing up to this point is starting to enter fruition... this episode was deeply symbolic to the point of being almost painful.

I'm not sure how I feel about the series overall, but one thing can be said about it: it is a definitive example of how anime can be true art.

Also:

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 14, 2016 3:03 AM

Jan 2014
How emo.. lol #rip
Jan 27, 2016 7:13 PM

Apr 2012
Expected something like this when Reki complained about everyone leaving her last episode - the implication being that she herself is overdue and not suitable for going to heaven (or wherever they go).
Jan 28, 2016 10:41 AM
Jul 2014
Nice episode! Somehow I know Rakka is going to be just fine, but I'm worried about Reki. I hope she remembers her dream and she'll be able to do her Flight!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jacobpaige - Apr 24, 2008

261 by rasterman7 »»
Mar 22, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.