Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 24, 2008 1:58 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
this was an odd show, but i think i liked it.

still not sure i believe that they're going over the wall but considering the train scene i think its a bit more likely now ;)

wish i'd been able to find better subs tho, whoever subbed the ones i was watching made alterations to the script all over the place, and not just the meaningless ones that always occur when translating words with multiple meanings but the kind where the actual meaning is either lost or altered because the translator thought they were better storytellers than the original authors :/
Apr 26, 2008 11:12 AM

Jan 2008
I really liked the ending though I wished I knew what is really behind the walls :) but I was really happy for Reki :D
May 11, 2008 4:33 PM
Oct 2007
My respect to this series, it was really something...
May 18, 2008 1:18 AM

Feb 2008
I really enjoyed the ending. It turned what I felt was a mediocre show into something pretty good.
May 19, 2008 1:38 PM
Aug 2007
An unsettling, beautiful series. Oh the wall, damn the unknowable.
Jul 8, 2008 9:17 AM

May 2008
This series is totaly magical!
Impressive!
I loved the ending...Reki finally rested and learnt to forgive herself and to ask for help.
I am still very curious of what´s behind the wall...
Aug 12, 2008 4:50 AM
Mar 2008
I liked the show although its kinda made me think alot bout the ending and the questions unanswered.
I just made up for myself that the haibane are something like angels who once where humans and died.
Therefor the came to the wordl with the wall wat i see as heaven and the flyoff i think if nothing more then be reborn into the world.
The normal humans in de world i just think of them as mabey old souls so thats why they cant to and be reborn again.
I really loved the crow part so i think they crow tryd to safe rakka when she died in her humand world.

M might be stupid but im always like this trying to fil in the answers myself.
I liked the show but i would love it more if there was some clearness about the crow and the walls.
Currently watching:

Bleach 163/.....
Naruto shippuuden 49/....
Clannad 20/.....
School days 8/13
Aug 12, 2008 5:28 AM

Jan 2008
Forget the wall! Thats not the point of the show. We should all be raving about the character relationships, that beautiful climax where Reki finally says "save me".

Definitely one of the most emotional moments of anime, for me, especially when combined with Otani's brilliant music.

ittheclown said:
I just made up for myself that the haibane are something like angels who once where humans and died.
Therefor the came to the wordl with the wall wat i see as heaven and the flyoff i think if nothing more then be reborn into the world.

I think they're in training to become angels, hence why there is such an elaborate process of 'promoting' them once they've matured enough spirtually.

But reincarnation is also another way of looking at it (and probably the better answer considering the Asians behind the production...)

And yeah, obviously they cant remember their past lives because they all died horribly young. :(
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 12, 2008 9:18 PM

Jun 2007
Quite the ending! This was easily the best episode of the series. I was breathless for quite a large portion of it, especially when Reki was facing the train. I'm so glad she got her happy ending! :D
Aug 12, 2008 9:28 PM

Jul 2008
Does anyone else think the city is supposed to be some sort of purgatory?
Aug 21, 2008 1:12 PM

Aug 2008
Purgatory?.. hmm.. i think it's interesting idea!
Ok. What can I tell having looked last series? - Good anime it has turned out. It has not caused in me wild delight, as for example FMA, but also did not drive in a dream, as for example Saikano. Such easy perceived things take place to be!
Sep 22, 2008 4:55 PM

Jul 2007
cheap ending, this episode was far from the best, and they didn't explain anything.

8/10
Oct 1, 2008 9:54 PM
Mar 2008
Great series I was captivated the entire time.
Oct 1, 2008 11:00 PM
Apr 2008
Cihan said:
We should all be raving about the character relationships, that beautiful climax where Reki finally says "save me".

Definitely one of the most emotional moments of anime, for me, especially when combined with Otani's brilliant music.

That was such a powerful scene for me, as well. I love this character-driven series; it's been one of my favorites for a while now!
Oct 11, 2008 11:33 AM

Oct 2008
Just finished watching this series a while ago. Definitely the best episode and the highlight of the entire series.

The scene and the introduction into Reki's dream / nightmare really brought out how cold, dark, empty, lonely that world was. It feels like that world really sucks the life out of you. Watching it, that was how I felt. And how helpless and hopeless Reki must have been feeling all along inside this dream.

I wish I also knew what was beyond the walls and the town of Glie though. Although that is part of what makes this series even more memorable.

I did not think much of this series when I first heard about it but I'm really glad I watched it. Really unique and different from more mainstream anime series.

Apr 8, 2009 10:09 PM

Aug 2008
Anyone else get the feeling that the Haibane are people who committed suicide?
Apr 19, 2009 6:05 AM

Mar 2008
RazorBeamz said:

Yeah, that's my theory too. I think the dream they have refers to how they died (Rakka probably died because she jumped off a building).

So maybe they become Haibane to find peace and then they can go to heaven or something?
Miertje86Apr 19, 2009 6:18 AM
Apr 22, 2009 6:03 PM

Aug 2008
It was really an odd show. However, I really like the ending. Pretty much, it's not about the specifics of the story. It's all about the characters.

I guess they spliced those things on this show just to add more symbolism to it. There were a lot of things on which I didn't understand. However, the main plot of the story revolves around moving on with life. In fact, I forgot to focus on the genre itself and focused more on the specifics.

There were a couple of things left unanswered like the outside world. I guess they will leave it to us to figure it out. Most of my other questions were answered anyway. Come to think of it, those angels came out from no where. I guess that's already a given fact when the story started.

I also want to know their previous lives before they were born. I guess they might be reincarnations of humankind or something.

Overall, I did enjoy the show. It was really unique and the last episode was outstanding. In fact, that's the best episode of the entire series. It was executed very well considering the number of episodes. I really like the characters and everything. Therefore, I will give this show a perfect score.

May 26, 2009 4:04 AM
May 2009
I agree with the sentiments that it's an odd show, however, I really liked it. While some may be irked by the fact that a lot of things were left unanswered, sometimes it's a much better to leave things be, and let the viewer draw their own conclusions. In fact I'd rate it up there with some of the best I've watched. Some points:

-The character development was great.
-The pacing was perfect, 13 episodes felt like it was enough.
-The last episode was easily the best.
-I love the feeling coming out of it where you feel like you know how life will carry on in that world and how the cycle starts anew, along with the closure of Reki finally moving on.

Definitely one of my top watches. Short, but sweet.
Jun 15, 2009 11:15 AM

Jul 2008
Every couple of years, I rewatch some favorite anime of mine, and Haibane Renmei is one of those titles I always look forward to seeing again.

Are they angels, or are they human? What do their dreams mean? Is this Heaven? Hell? Purgatory? What are their sins? Where do they go after when they leave? I love these kinds of stories, with hidden meanings, layers of interpretation to unravel, endings whose ultimate significance is up to its audience.

I also love that it never lost sight of its characters and setting, superbly building a world that seems familiar yet mysterious, and features daily interactions and the simple joys of living. Unlike Eva, which sometimes drove its psychoanalytical bent to extremes and near utter incomprehensibility, Haibane Renmei kept the story grounded, personal and relatable.

Years after I first saw it, I come back and still find new things about it to discover. It really is a work of art; you take away from it as much or as little as you put into it.
Ideal anime wife?
Jun 16, 2009 1:34 AM

Apr 2008
That was a very good ending, Im grateful for spending my 325 minute of my life to watch this.

Jul 20, 2009 12:02 PM
Feb 2009
Great ending, great show, not much more ehh? This show just made it into my top 3. I do believe mostly everything in the show can be left up for interpretation. Around half way through the show, I stopped caring what was outside the walls, the show even seemed to draw away from that and close in on the characters more. The ending was truly something though. Some moments felt so real...

Don't know why everyone is saying it's a weird show?
Aug 17, 2009 2:25 PM

Oct 2008
Miertje86 said:
RazorBeamz said:

Yeah, that's my theory too. I think the dream they have refers to how they died (Rakka probably died because she jumped off a building).

So maybe they become Haibane to find peace and then they can go to heaven or something?

Reki and Rakka maybe. But if they all commited suicide, then they all shoud be Bound-by-sin? The story does not go like that.
It could be a purgatory though.

Only a vampire can love you forever.
Aug 19, 2009 4:57 PM
Jan 2009
Meouwww said:

Reki and Rakka maybe. But if they all commited suicide, then they all shoud be Bound-by-sin? The story does not go like that.

I think the elder Haibane were all suicides. They all seemed "sad".

For the children it would be "Limbo"

The Roman Catholic church used to teach that the souls of children that died before being baptised would go to Limbo.
Sep 23, 2009 9:12 PM

Jul 2009
haibane renmei had one of the best first and last episodes thats why i give it a 9/10 but i just cant help but wonder what is over the wall, if they did reveal it id easily give it a 10

anyone else get the impression of watching a 325 minute long movie?
Oct 20, 2009 10:39 PM

Jun 2009
What a great series. Like Beatnik said, the show was really about the characters and it excelled at that. The nature of the Haibane and the wall were never revealed, but I don't think it needs to be. The best stories leave some plot elements up to viewer interpretation, imo.

Easy 9 out of 10, because this is probably the best anime i've seen since Evangelion.
Ston3_FreeN7Nov 15, 2009 4:37 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 27, 2009 6:50 PM

Sep 2009
Stunning. I was sitting in my third period class, watching this last episode on my iPod, and basically shut out the world around me just to focus all my attention on that particular scene. What a rush!

I can't even describe how I feel right now. Let's just hope that you can get the drift of how amazing it was by everyone's posts before me. The entire series just captivated me and left me with a feeling that stayed with me all day that I could not get rid of. Absolutely great anime.

10/10
-
Nov 21, 2009 2:21 AM
May 2008
Ria said:
Quite the ending! This was easily the best episode of the series. I was breathless for quite a large portion of it, especially when Reki was facing the train. I'm so glad she got her happy ending! :D

Ah yes!! This was an amazing ending! I was really worried this might end opened ended, or not do anything all that impressive, but the ending just blew me away. That was the perfect way to close the show. What a climax! This was the best episode! What a powerful scene. After everything else was very light, and easy going, they got really heavy on us and it worked.

As for what exactly is going on, after watching the entire thing this is what I thought. The Haibane were people who had died in the real world, and the reason some are sin-bound is because they commited suicide. Like Rakka jumping from somewhere, thus in her dream she's falling. Reki jumped in front of a train to end her life. And the way they were saved was by someone forgiving them, and by calling out for help and letting others help them. They realized they were not at all alone. This show felt like it came from the heart.

About the Rakka and Reki scene : I really loved it! It was very dramatic. What a twist that Reki wasn't really a good person, or at least that's how she started out and kind of believed. Only doing nice things to help herself. But it turns out she is a good person. She did care for Rakka. She cared for everyone. What Reki told her would have destoryed many people, but Rakka was very strong. Then it was very touching for Rakka to go back in and try and save Reki after hearing what she did. But only Reki could accomplish this, by relying on another. By trusting someone else again. How beautiful. What a great message there. This scene made everything that came before it make perfect sense. I think this is what they call a "linchpin ending" where the entire show is held together by one scene at the end. Very intellegent.

Oh and I can relate to feeling alone, to thinking your only doing good things for others to help yourself, and many of the others ideas the show tossed out there at the end.

Also at the big climax I was so surpised that I had already actually saw that! I'm not sure where, or how but I saw the scene with Reki and Rakka in Reki's room, Reki telling Rakka that she was only nice for herself, and then the part with the train and little Reki holding Rakka back. Where the hell did I see this before? Was it in AMV Hell? Some other AMV? A dream? lol. Because really I don't watch that many AMVs...quite a mystery where I saw that from. I really loved that dramatic scene though!
Dec 19, 2009 2:02 PM

Oct 2007
I thought it was a really good anime. The ending manages to give the viewer lots of feelings to deal with while still giving us some closure but also quite some mystery.

Easy 8/10 from me.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Dec 24, 2009 4:49 AM

Aug 2009
Miertje86 said:
RazorBeamz said:

i don't think all of them committed suicide. I think it was just Reki, which is why she was born with blackened wings. I think if they lose sight of the appreciation of life, they begin to wither away and their wigs show how black their hearts have become.

Beatnik said:

I think they're in training to become angels, hence why there is such an elaborate process of 'promoting' them once they've matured enough spirtually.

that idea makes so much sense. They show appreciation for life and accept that they will never be able to do everything humans can while in Glie (including not having freedom of movement aka the wall and being sheltered from everything.)

this anime is so inspiring

dury said:
Meouwww said:

I think the elder Haibane were all suicides. They all seemed "sad".

For the children it would be "Limbo"

The Roman Catholic church used to teach that the souls of children that died before being baptised would go to Limbo.

Yeh, not all of the older haibane could have committed suicide,or all of them would have had to deal with the same thing Reki did.. i think they just died with an attachment to the real world-an incomplete life, which is why they were sad. They weren't given the chance to really experience life.. and the little kids were most likely all stillborn or abortions...they never actually showed how the children came to be haibane
Jan 7, 2010 12:31 AM

Apr 2008
I'm not that curious about "what's past the walls", take an example from us, unless you die you'll will not know if there's heaven or not (or whatever you believe in), it's a matter of experience it for your self.
Jan 19, 2010 9:41 AM

Aug 2009
Kotori said:
cheap ending, this episode was far from the best, and they didn't explain anything.

8/10

It was best for not explaining EVERYTHING and keeping it a mystery. They could have explained why they were Haibane, what's beyond the wall and so on, but it was better not to do so.
-Fixing-
Feb 12, 2010 2:03 AM

Jan 2009
RazorBeamz said:

Well they say that life is a trial to test if you worthy to enter heaven when you die.

And because all Haibane was so young, my theory is that they had really short life's, so they had to get a second chance on the trial.
Mar 5, 2010 7:32 PM

Apr 2009
aww, Reki is gone..T_T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2010 6:32 AM
Mar 2010
I haven't seen something as beautiful as Haibane Renmei in a long time. Damn it it went straight into my all time favourite animes of all time. :)

I also think that the town they live is some kind of Limbo for the young. Sin-bound seem to be people who have committed suicide. I quite like that theory that they become angels after the take their flight. I originally thought that they are reincarnated (or admitted into Heaven) into the real world but that also makes sense to me.

It was best for not explaining EVERYTHING and keeping it a mystery. They could have explained why they were Haibane, what's beyond the wall and so on, but it was better not to do so.

True, the series explains enough to keep you going the rest is up to you, I think this is one of the things that makes Haibane Renmei shine. You know when the magician shows you how he done his trick it kinda loses it's magic.

I think the final episode was strong, especially the scene where Reka asks for help, I actually wet my eyes a little.

Also at the big climax I was so surpised that I had already actually saw that! I'm not sure where, or how but I saw the scene with Reki and Rakka in Reki's room, Reki telling Rakka that she was only nice for herself, and then the part with the train and little Reki holding Rakka back. Where the hell did I see this before? Was it in AMV Hell? Some other AMV? A dream? lol. Because really I don't watch that many AMVs...quite a mystery where I saw that from. I really loved that dramatic scene though!

I often get deja vu moments like that. Strangely enough I often could swear I saw it in my dreams. :O
KhalaTheBunnyMar 28, 2010 6:35 AM
Apr 10, 2010 9:17 PM

Oct 2008
Kotori said:

8/10
Um........no. The lack of explanation is what makes it so good. It makes the viewer develop their own theory rather than being confined to what the show tells you. It's also thought-provoking and very deep, which is far above most shows that actually tell you everything can achieve.
May 9, 2010 3:22 PM

Apr 2009
Awesome series. I'm a sucker for atmosphere and mystery and this had a lot of both. Great soundtrack too.
May 15, 2010 12:54 AM

Feb 2010
Just finished round number 3 for this series and finally did a quick review.
Not going to re-hash that here, but I absolutely love this story and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone, aside from action or echi junkies.
We will never forget those that have fallen for our freedom!
May 30, 2010 10:19 AM

Apr 2010
It got 10/10 from me and deserves probably more.

All interpretations of where this place is are really vague. The fact there are also just normal people is irritating me. This could be a kind of symbol that says that people with such problems or longings exist everywhere, right among normal people.

The way they become Haibanes and the form itself was for me a symbol for humans that just ended their life that they had before and were newborn into this form. This would mean all Haibanes must have something in common and that's where I have too less information on the other Haibanes. There are even kids which is irritating.

A nice idea was that all Haibanes had to work which is like saying that everyone has a special purpose in life. (I don't agree but it's nice and just my interpretation though.)
And there are many more things like that I realized while watching.

What I didn't understand was their discrimination, I mean they get help but live under such poor conditions (the place where they live is dump-like, the clothes are used ones) as if they're less worth than the normal people. Plus, the wall and the Togas are all mystery to me...
vigilMay 30, 2010 10:46 AM
Jun 15, 2010 12:32 AM

Sep 2008
glad to see a show end how its supposed to
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, And in strange aeons even death may die."
Jun 24, 2010 1:30 PM
May 2008
Good series, with great atmosphere and some great characters (and some not so great). Overall, very enjoyable and I like how many questions are left up to interpretation... 8/10.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jun 30, 2010 8:07 AM
Sep 2009
I thought this anime was quite odd and it didn't really interest me, but once I start something I see it through to know if it get's better or not. Honestly to me though this anime wasn't all that great. There's just a shroud of mystery over EVERYTHING you want to know. I understand keeping some things from the audience to make them think, but keeping nearly every question unanswered doesn't make me think about what the answers could be it just makes the series uninteresting to me.

Honestly though the shroud of mysteriousness that's around this entire series is what managed to pull me in. Yes I didn't enjoy it as much as others told me I would but I do like it enough to give it another try and really try to enjoy it more. Overall this anime wasn't as great of an experience for me as it was for most of its other watchers. I just don't really enjoy animes where nothing really happens except a couple major events and the characters are vaguely interesting.

Anyways I'm sure alot of you disagree, but this is just my thoughts on this anime for now.
HistoricalJun 30, 2010 8:12 AM
Jul 16, 2010 11:14 PM

May 2010
I finally took the time to finish this, this took me 8 months to complete...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 17, 2010 12:02 AM

Jun 2009
Finally got around to seeing the final 3 episodes last night, my god.
The final two episodes were really really great in my opinion, such a good ending.

I am so glad that it didn't fall short at the ending, brilliant.
Jul 30, 2010 1:01 AM

May 2010
Excellent anime. Made you think, and filled with mystery and symbolism. The series really picked up at ep 7, and the ending was brilliant. 9/10.
Aug 14, 2010 1:54 AM

May 2009
Liked the ending, the part when the music stopped and Reki's 'save me' was omg epic

Overall great soundtrack and atmosphere, reminded me a little of Aria and Mushishi. Very little attempt to be mainstream and thats what hooked me in. This is an anime that isnt plot driven or even character driven imo (character development wasn't that amazing), I think this is a thematic piece... the entire thing was a brilliant and subtle metaphor. People saying it doesn't explain anything is wrong, it does explain alot in a subtle way, you just need to think for yourself but most of the symbolism is quite obvious.

Would have been a 10/10 but had some of the shoddiest animation even with the 30fps version and unbearably slow pace sometimes, also I didn't care for anyone other than Reki and and maybe Rakka (eg Kuu disappearance was abit meh). So 8-9, closer to 9. Enjoyed it immensely regardless.
Aug 29, 2010 4:38 PM

Dec 2009
Very good!
Such junk...
Sep 9, 2010 3:51 AM

Mar 2008
Raldan said:
I really enjoyed the ending. It turned what I felt was a mediocre show into something pretty good.

I agree. Wow. Sad it's come to an end...Especially since Rakka still has sin-bound wings doesn't she?

EDIT: Forgot she solved her problem. Though I do wonder who the crow was...
sugarplumfairySep 9, 2010 5:31 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2010 3:51 AM

Nov 2009
Sep 28, 2010 6:55 AM

Jan 2010
well this was a weird finale...but it wasn't bad :)
that was actually how i consider the whole anime to be...good but not great,they could've made it much better i think

so 8/10 from me
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei - help please Is it better in Dub or Sub?

ignominy15 - Aug 11, 2015

18 by waalex11 »»
Sep 22, 2023 11:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.