Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2011 9:25 PM
Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
If the events depicted in this episode were described to me in prose, I'd be decidedly bored.

Which just proves how good the execution was. The framing and lighting are really interesting: despite the typical setup, I could never shake a foreboding feeling about so many things, from the characters being introduced to the very objects lying around the school.

This is going to be a very dark anime.
Sep 29, 2011 3:50 AM

May 2008
The obsession for those 3 girls is a bit unnatural. Also, I love how "Saint Just" is such an obvious homage to Rose of Versailles.
Feb 7, 2012 8:46 AM

Feb 2012
I understand what you mean about this being on the verge of very dark. Certain shots give certain characters a chilling feeling. Especially Mariko... although I find I'm drawn to her most after all the first impressions.

None of the idols interest me enough yet, but I'm sure that will come to change.
Feb 23, 2013 6:38 PM

Jun 2009
Pretty good episode. It was just an introduction and because of that everything felt a little too fast, so I hope it slows down a bit as things go forward. I can't say any of the characters look all that interesting, but who knows. I'm looking forward to the rest, though as this was cited as an influence on Revolutionary Girl Utena and Maria Watches Over Us, two series I like quite a bit.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 24, 2013 9:01 PM
Nov 2012
Can someone tell me where is a good place to watch this series. I haven't found any good torrent links or sites that had enough streams with subs :c
Nov 2, 2013 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Ah ~! Anime so you do not see your more! Beautiful OST as the dialogues and the atmosphere that I felt! Beautiful designs by Akio Sugino, fortunately that is not a work suit, without voices was a feat!
Music very nice, if only you could have a better quality video in the works as of today, that would be great.
Thank you very much the Italian publisher that has made ​​it possible to fruition via streaming! : D
Feb 12, 2014 7:58 PM

Feb 2012
I am impressed. This is how the shoujo should be.
Maybe the last product of the classic shoujo era of the 70s and 80s, i cant think of anything similar made in the last decades. Which is a shame.
Beautiful, vague, dark. I like it.
Mar 2, 2014 7:09 AM

Aug 2013
MariMite with evil vibes. I like it.

It kind of threw me off when Saint Juste spoke with a female voice. I thought she was a guy. Talk about a princely character lol. Kaoru no Kimi looks a little manly too.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 19, 2014 5:44 PM

Sep 2010
Saint Just is Oscar reincarnated. Looks like she is addicted to popping pills?

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeSep 14, 2020 12:55 PM
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 15, 2014 6:25 AM

Nov 2014
KinkyRice said:
Can someone tell me where is a good place to watch this series. I haven't found any good torrent links or sites that had enough streams with subs :c

You can watch a lot of these animes on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/dear-brother
Mar 7, 2015 5:39 AM
Jan 2015
xchee said:
MariMite with evil vibes. I like it.

It kind of threw me off when Saint Juste spoke with a female voice. I thought she was a guy. Talk about a princely character lol. Kaoru no Kimi looks a little manly too.

I know right! Thought Saint Juste was a man
Aug 12, 2015 12:26 PM

Jun 2009
I really don't like how manly they look :(

It's pretty jarring and quite ridiculous.
Apr 14, 2016 9:29 PM

Oct 2012
Good first episode. Makes me quite intrigued immediately.
Jun 17, 2016 6:25 PM

May 2010
I know the story from the amazing manga, finally watching its animated version. First episode was pleasently surprising, I thought that animation and artstyle would look worse, but most girls have quite sweet and cute chara-design. Sadly, Saint-Just and Kaoru are way too masculine, even more than in manga. I guess I just have to get used to it... Oh welp.

There is not much plot to talk about, and female characters are reaaally overreacting to everything, way too naive and innocent. At least at the beginning. It does have its own, oldschool shoujo manga charm though, and I love it, won't deny.
Jun 24, 2016 8:40 AM

Sep 2010
Lol @ Oscar reincarnated. She and Kaoru look too much like men. I, too, thought at first that Saint-Just-Oscar(and Kaoru) is a man but whatever.
Oct 10, 2016 12:43 AM

Jan 2010
I can see how this sets up for shows like Maria-sama ga Miteru. I remarked immediately upon watching its visual similarities to the likes of Rose of Versailles, though I'm taken aback by how well drawn and animated the show is. If there's one word I could use to describe this anime so far, it's "ornate." This is a really, really pretty, carefully choreographed anime, and the opening seemed to place its set pieces into a hardcore drama. There's even a lot of slower paced quiet scenes devoid of dialogue, really hammering in the type of overbearing, yet inspired atmosphere the show is trying to portray. This is definitely a show I can't marathon, even if I wanted to.
Oct 11, 2016 12:56 PM

Nov 2014
Shocked said:
I can see how this sets up for shows like Maria-sama ga Miteru. I remarked immediately upon watching its visual similarities to the likes of Rose of Versailles, though I'm taken aback by how well drawn and animated the show is. If there's one word I could use to describe this anime so far, it's "ornate." This is a really, really pretty, carefully choreographed anime, and the opening seemed to place its set pieces into a hardcore drama. There's even a lot of slower paced quiet scenes devoid of dialogue, really hammering in the type of overbearing, yet inspired atmosphere the show is trying to portray. This is definitely a show I can't marathon, even if I wanted to.

Astute observations. And I agree, you shouldn't try to marathon this unless you're a hardcore masochist. I detested how miserable this show made me feel the first time I saw it. The suffering is easier to endure when you watch it at a leisurely pace.
Apr 15, 2017 12:43 PM

Feb 2014
Them bishies tho.
May 29, 2017 9:57 PM
Nov 2015
Watch this to make me watch MariMite alongside. Put off that show for too long. That show looks bad. This is gorgeous.
If Ghibli churns out some of the best best low-key, slice-of-life animes, which don't go much into drama n plot, and just really loves to explore the setting, Dezaki is the absolute opposite. Every frame screams dramatic, theatric.
May 29, 2017 10:36 PM
Nov 2015
Sean_Nessman said:
Watch this to make me watch MariMite alongside. Put off that show for too long. That show looks bad. This is gorgeous.
If Ghibli churns out some of the best best low-key, slice-of-life animes, which don't go much into drama n plot, and just really loves to explore the setting, Dezaki is the absolute opposite. Every frame screams dramatic, theatric.

Can u guys hold yr laughters? I was laughing so hard throughout and needed to rewatch to play spoting the still frames.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO melodramatic though the plot doesn't even set in. All those postcard memories, coupled with dramatic music. Then what will happen when the plot begins to turn. Can my jaws hold?
Feb 18, 2018 6:28 PM

Jul 2016
this is a F*CKING MASTERPIECE. you know when you can tell that an anime is going to be great from the get go? this was one of them... there's something just amazing in old shoujo/shounen ai/shoujo ai anime and manga, a charm, a style that cannot be replicated ever in what today offers us. never! NEVER! it was beautiful, it was everything, they know how to make you shocked and riveted to your seat... the animation, the art, the music, what a magnificent favor this is. gosh, it really is romantic - and i don't mean romantic love relationship wise. splendid... jaysus christ. sh*t!!

well, let's talk about things that surprised me. now, i had read that it was a girl's love anime before starting the episode but based off of photos i assumed that there were male rivals or something along that line... no. they're all women! bro! they look exactly like men, their body shapes barely betray anything that they are anything *but* men! i was sure that they were men... what a shock... i can't match their faces to their voices and this is going to cause some gender identification issues. er. for me at least, everyone seems to see them as straight up girls LOL. secondly, the mix of both a japanese culture and a european/western culture. it was like they took the environment of the 20th century european side and planted it smack dab into modern japan. i mean, you have carriages (and trains? wtf), luxurious boarding schools, huge mansions, hair that would much rather be described as flowing manes, and honestly everyone looks white except for the people around the scene. which is weird, considering they have fully japanese names... i'm fine with nanako's name the most however rei asaka? does this man, shit i mean woMAN, look like a rei asaka to you? saint juste it is.

one of the best parts i found in this episode was saint juste's chewing tablets scene. holy bitch, how can one make such a simple act... so... SO... *i'm getting a little worked up, i need to chill* i can't even find the words that could explain what i felt watching that. the rain, the thunder, the way he rolled those tablets into his mouth and the sound of the crunching of the tablets - yeah, i'm crazy. it was truly remarkable though. the fact that they're tablets makes you think, "oh, is he sick? what are those for? a illness?", the fact that he laughed makes you ask yourself "why is he laughing? while eating tablets? is he laughing at his possible predicament?", the fact that he has some sort of strange existing history with miya...

overall, it had all the elements of what i love in a classic 70's to 90's shoujo/shoujo ai. bra f*cking vo.
Cazqui-09Feb 18, 2018 6:35 PM
Mar 8, 2018 7:17 AM

Feb 2014
Dem pointy bishie faces. They look like they could poke a hole in the fabric of space-time. Still, weird character design aside, the thing I like about the art in Osamu Dezaki's shows is how well composed every single frame looks.
Although, the melodramatic style will take a little getting used to.

Ninius said:
Lol @ Oscar reincarnated. She and Kaoru look too much like men. I, too, thought at first that Saint-Just-Oscar(and Kaoru) is a man but whatever.

LOL yeah, the first time I saw Saint-Just, I was expecting to hear a deep manly voice, but what I got instead was a really feminine and gentle voice. And then it happened AGAIN with Kaoru. So, that was a little trippy.
Oct 10, 2018 8:47 PM

Feb 2013
Hilarious. Great comedy. It's so absurd I couldn't help but laugh through most of the episode.
Oct 30, 2018 1:28 AM

Nov 2012
I really enjoyed MariMite and here I have it's spiritual predecessor and directed by Osamu Dezaki no less, I'm definitely in for a treat.

I also thought Saint Juste and Kaoru no Kimi were guys like others in this thread.
May 19, 2020 12:51 PM
Jul 2018
I found it to be (unintentionally) funny sometimes.. :p

Sep 14, 2020 1:50 AM

Jul 2015
Interesting start with this elite female school with some eccentric girls. Asaka Rei feels like an

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeSep 14, 2020 12:59 PM

Oct 11, 2020 4:44 AM

Aug 2018
what a strange school. it is so wonderfully melodramatic. the directing is superb and it looks like the stories of each character are going to be rather captivating

Nov 15, 2020 3:18 AM
Apr 2016
Quite different from how I expected it to be, but it certainly didn't fail to assuage my expectations - for the first episode, that is. I sense a lot of potential, and with that, I'm looking forward to the rest!
Dec 13, 2020 2:18 PM

Jul 2008
Weird anime... the characters don't act realistic. The way she just stayed in the first idols arms when she bumped into her while she was reading on the bus, and then when the idol grabbed her from the bus and spun her around in the air... both strangers to each other. Also, with the new friend who the first thing she does is show a dumb "secret" to instantly build a bond. I don't think I will be able to handle the high society worship for too many episodes.
Mar 14, 2021 10:57 PM

Mar 2020
Really interesting start, right off the bat Dezaki's postcard memories just hit hard... They really have be growing on me in the last couple months xD

I really like how they introduced the characters. Especially those 3 popular girls: Kaoru, Saint-juste, and Fukiko. Fukiko really gives me bad vibes, I have a feeling that she will be the antagonist in this anime. Saint-juste seems like a mysterious character, she reminds me of Oscar from versailles no bara. Kaoru looks like the sporty type. Animes directed by Dezaki Osamu never disappoint, I'm really looking forward to what's to come.
Joe, Joe Forever....
Dec 25, 2021 3:08 PM

Nov 2016
Knew what I would get with this. The Dezaki style is eyegasm inducing.

Mariko is up to no good, you can already tell. I wonder how far she's willing to go. I almost forgot that this a shoujo ai..

Edit: Oh and the opening is such a treat.
FMmatronJan 8, 2022 7:18 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 23, 2022 10:01 AM

Apr 2016
I like the underlying passive aggressiveness I know this is going to a rollercoaster, bring it on.
Aug 23, 2022 5:33 PM

May 2018
omg the butch girls in this make my heart <3 <3 <3 im in love <3 !!!
Nov 13, 2022 6:19 AM

Feb 2016
re-watching

this is so wonderfully melodramatic. i love it.

i don't really remember much besides the main events of this series, so it's kinda like watching for the first time again. still think it's sharper than Rose of Versailles and, since the source material is shorter, Dezaki had so much room to really make the whole thing his and it sure brought it to a whole other level

my favorite character used to be Fukiko back then and i have a feeling it'll remain this way. she's the shit
llorandoNov 13, 2022 6:23 AM
Feb 3, 2023 2:47 AM

Nov 2022
Very beautiful drawing, but everything is somehow slowly dragged on. It's good that there is a Russian dubbing. And there is such a strong girl, despite her thin forms.
Mar 10, 2023 6:28 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
This has been on my plan to watch list for god knows how long. Finally getting around to this classic and gladly going in pretty blind as well.

First off. Dang this is FAST PACED. Coming off the heels of Bloom Into You which was sloooooow and took it's time. There is no time here. I feel like a little brain overload with how many characters and information we got.

Osamu back at it again, making me feel all the doki dokis with his still frames. Animation and art is no doubt impressive at every scene. We also got some princes or I like to call them. Nonbinary royalty. Already has me invested.

This is gonna be DRAMATIC I already feel it in my bones.
Oct 12, 2023 10:19 PM

Sep 2010
That was intense for a first episode, made me more curious about what's to happen. Those thunderstorms giving hints that the show's gonna be eerie.
Kind of disappointed with Saint-Juste I thought she was man. Her voice doesn't match her appearance feels weird hearing her speak...

Just checked the info and realized this have girls love genre. Not my thing, but I already got invested in this the art is good and those ridiculously dramatic scenes I wanna see more lol.
Mar 25, 12:13 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Holy moly. What a beautiful first episode. The animation direction is nice and the animation itself is nice too! This anime began in 1991 with the manga being from 1974, so there are a lot of directions the art could have gone, but I like the art direction. I mean, I've seen some older manga get anime adaptations and they give it a little modern oomph. Here they kept a lot of the 70's aesthetic and I'm honestly eating it up. The freeze frames has to be one of my favorite little touches. Ace wo Nerae (also directed by Osamu Dezaki like this is) is one of my favorite anime-- it wins all the 70's style points, but it's from the 70's of course This is like an anime with all the 70's style points but with the animation leeway of the 90's. Picking up an anime about 16 years or so after the manga ended shows there's a certain amount of respect for the source material. I see that there was love being put into this project. I love that they got Dezaki to direct this. He's perfect for it!

The end was so dramatic I had the laugh though. I love that type of 70's dramatics. I can't help it. XD Like straight up didn't even say hi or anything. Just tossed an umbrella out the window. lol I love it.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria

More topics from this board

Poll: » Oniisama e... Episode 5 Discussion

fanty - Nov 27, 2009

21 by Ten »»
Yesterday, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Onii-sama e... Episode 3 Discussion

thisiodfkln - May 1, 2011

19 by Ten »»
Apr 24, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Onii-sama e... Episode 12 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Oct 1, 2011

31 by Swiggy »»
Apr 2, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Onii-sama e... Episode 11 Discussion

xchee - Mar 3, 2014

16 by Swiggy »»
Apr 2, 1:20 AM

Poll: » Onii-sama e... Episode 8 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Jul 16, 2011

37 by Swiggy »»
Mar 31, 1:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.